PDA

View Full Version : Eric Stevenson

Hibby soldier
29-11-2016, 07:42 PM
Eric Stevenson is launching his book on Wednesday 7th December 6.30pm for 7pm at Easter Road.

Top player for Hibs........:top marks:top marks

iwasthere1972
29-11-2016, 08:13 PM
Eric Stevenson is launching his book on Wednesday 7th December 6.30pm for 7pm at Easter Road.

Loved Eric Stevenson. Top player and some great memories.

ozhibs
29-11-2016, 08:16 PM

He was actually my favourite player in his time at ER. I actually got to meet him in the Hibs Club when I went back for That Final.

ancient hibee
29-11-2016, 08:48 PM
What's it called-Eric Stevenson,how I made Joe Davis a top goal scorer One of my favourite players.

CentreLine
29-11-2016, 09:32 PM
Used to love the way he juggled the ball in the warm up. Those were good days standing at the centre line on the east terrace. Trays full of sweets and juice brought roundctge track. Big crowds and every song started in the stand opposite.

et vireta
30-11-2016, 06:31 AM
Loved Eric Stevenson. Top player and some great memories.

Thats why I feel so very sorry for our younger Hibs supporters...they missed out on seeing some magnificent players pull on that famous jersey.

Eric was absolute class and really turned it on against the Herts

brog
30-11-2016, 07:26 AM
Great player, great Hibs man & top guy hence my avatar!

Hedlund12
30-11-2016, 10:16 AM
Book is called HIBS THROUGH AND THROUGH.

Great Hibs Legend... I hope many turn up at the launch to show their support for Eric. True gent of a man. 💚

lyonhibs
30-11-2016, 10:20 AM
If I'm not much mistaken him (plus 1 other whose name I'm shamefully forgotten) were the guests of honour at a London Hibs Burns night I once attended a few years back.

I'd done some reading up on him beforehand and was absolutely astonished to hear of the games he'd played in so ended up gawping like a fool when I got the chance to meet him. Signed my t-shirt from the night which I've still got at home.

And then met Mickey Weir. And I had a coupon come up earlier that day.

What a day that was :flag::flag:

Tom Hart RIP
30-11-2016, 10:21 AM
Loved story about how he didn't turn up for Ayr game but went to Hampden to watch Hibs beat Celtic 2-1 in League cup final. Jock Stein spotted him and told Ally McLeod who fined him 2 weeks wages but Stoc says it was worth every penny.

greenpaper55
30-11-2016, 10:27 AM
Eric seemed to have such perfect balance that even a defender breathing on him seemed to make him fall over in the penalty box !

Onion
30-11-2016, 10:30 AM
Brilliant player :thumbsup:

Always a bit nervous opening threads named after past players

EVENTUALLY
30-11-2016, 12:22 PM
Very skilful player who was effective in almost every match such was the level of his consistency. Wingers tend to be prone to spells of inconsistency but not Eric he was a great player and a real fans favourite.

northstandhibby
30-11-2016, 12:39 PM
Just a few years before my time attending ER when Eric put away his boots. Believe he was a great servant to us according to those who seen him and I hope his book is a good seller. A good Christmas present.

southsider
30-11-2016, 01:52 PM
I remember us playing the Dons in the old league cup (sections) in August 1970. We were 4-0 to the good after about 20 minutes. Eric was sensational that night. Great player so going down to get the book tomorrow.

Hibbyradge
30-11-2016, 02:01 PM
https://youtu.be/e5cdlv8LUPs

heretoday
30-11-2016, 02:48 PM
He could have gone to the top I reckon. Bit slow perhaps. What a combo with Davis for the pens!

They used to shout "come on the rebel" from the terrace.

heretoday
30-11-2016, 02:51 PM
Used to love the way he juggled the ball in the warm up. Those were good days standing at the centre line on the east terrace. Trays full of sweets and juice brought roundctge track. Big crowds and every song started in the stand opposite.

Remember when the north stand started the chanting and stamping? They didn't do it often so it meant something when they did!

hughio
30-11-2016, 03:05 PM
Great player, great Hibs man & top guy hence my avatar!

He has been unwell recently so here's to a full recovery Eric:aok:

It was funny speaking to him recently at the Morton game (where I was fortunate enough to be given hospitality)about the difference between the style of play then ..all guns blazing,down the flanks,hit the bye line cross to far post ...and now with all this back and forwards across the back 4 p*sh.

Ah the old days...

Jonnyboy
30-11-2016, 03:07 PM
Rebel was one of my earliest heroes who should have been capped but didn't play for the old firm. A great player and I'm looking forward to reading his book

cmcd
30-11-2016, 03:36 PM
It was a long time ago but I'm sure Hearts dumped Eric .Can not understand why . He was a class act that no fullback enjoyed playing against

London Hibs Supporters Club
30-11-2016, 03:37 PM
If I'm not much mistaken him (plus 1 other whose name I'm shamefully forgotten) were the guests of honour at a London Hibs Burns night I once attended a few years back.

I'd done some reading up on him beforehand and was absolutely astonished to hear of the games he'd played in so ended up gawping like a fool when I got the chance to meet him. Signed my t-shirt from the night which I've still got at home.

And then met Mickey Weir. And I had a coupon come up earlier that day.

What a day that was :flag::flag:

Like you, Eric was before my time and what a career he had for Hibs.

He was indeed our Guest of Honour at a Burns Night and IIRC it may have been Alex Cropley that was the other guest that evening. Actually, the more I think about it it may not have been Crops. For some unbeknown reason, anything after 8pm at these events slips from memory.

BTW - if you're still on the London Hibs mailing list, we are going to offer the book to members at a reduced rate.

familyman
30-11-2016, 04:01 PM

He was indeed our Guest of Honour at a Burns Night and IIRC it may have been Alex Cropley that was the other guest that evening. Actually, the more I think about it it may not have been Crops. For some unbeknown reason, anything after 8pm at these events slips from memory.

BTW - if you're still on the London Hibs mailing list, we are going to offer the book to members at a reduced rate.

What a player he was, such great close ball control..at times it looked like the ball was glued to his foot..he won so many penalties for us as no-one could get the ball off him .
I do hope he does not trip when launching his book!!!!!
:flag:

ancient hibee
30-11-2016, 05:56 PM
I remember a very nice afternoon out at Tynecastle-Stevenson and O'Rourke 4-0 up after 10 minutes.

where'stheslope
30-11-2016, 06:39 PM
I remember Eric playing in a cup tie at Easter Road on a Wednesday night, a cross came in from the right and he dived to head it, missed it but brought his heal up and back healed it into the top corner!!!
This is one of the best goals I've ever seen scored at Easter Road.

Tom Hart RIP
30-11-2016, 06:53 PM
It was a long time ago but I'm sure Hearts dumped Eric .Can not understand why . He was a class act that no fullback enjoyed playing against

Hearts didn't dump Eric. They actually got fined for a contract irregularity and Eric became a free agent. Man Utd and Wolves tried to sign him but he chose Hibs. The Hearts fans always gave him a hard time because of that.

brog
30-11-2016, 08:45 PM

The other guest was Jim Scott. IIRC they had about 700 games for Hibs between them

eastterrace
30-11-2016, 09:44 PM
Best game I seen him play was against polish side gornick he ripped them apart, I'm sure it was a friendly tho but memory a bit vague

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lyonhibs
01-12-2016, 06:36 AM
The other guest was Jim Scott. IIRC they had about 700 games for Hibs between them

That's the one. Couple of gents with some great tales to tell.

Bill Milne
01-12-2016, 07:46 AM
I remember a very nice afternoon out at Tynecastle-Stevenson and O'Rourke 4-0 up after 10 minutes.

I was there!! Got in just as the first goal was going in, my first Tynie derby.

brog
01-12-2016, 09:42 AM
I was there!! Got in just as the first goal was going in, my first Tynie derstby.

And Jimmys 19th birthday & he only played because Neil Martin failed a late fitness test! Happy day!

Seveno
01-12-2016, 11:57 AM
https://youtu.be/e5cdlv8LUPs

Thanks for that. Wonderful to see Eric's enthusiasm and hear his memories from the 4-0 match. I can remember Hibs fans fighting to get in as Hearts fans were fighting to get out.

Eric was my first Hibs hero. My brother and I used to stand near the front of the East terracing so that we could get a close up of him in action for the first half.

ancient hibee
01-12-2016, 01:02 PM
Jim Scott scored one of the best goals I've ever seen.It was for EdinburgnSelect against Newcastle at ER.Final score was 4-2 I think.He scored goal number four by dribbling from the halfway line through what seemed the whole team round the goalie and slipped the ball between the two Irish international players who were on the goal line.He had only played a couple of games for Hibs at that stage.Huge ovation from crowd and lifted off his feet by Willie Bauld who was playing centre forward(scored two).STVzwere showing highlights that night,really looking forward to it.They'd missed the goal!

lapsedhibee
01-12-2016, 01:35 PM
I was there!! Got in just as the first goal was going in, my first Tynie derby.

The fourth : 17727

Saturday Boy
01-12-2016, 02:07 PM
Eric travelled on the Bonnyrigg bus in the late 70s or early 80s. In those days he was sporting a "fashionable " perm 😳. A great player from a time there were a lot of great players.

confused
02-12-2016, 01:17 PM
If I remember correctly the hearts full backs were shevlane and Ferguson , who I think had to off after a clash of heads ,maybe just as well because Eric was just playing with them.

confused
02-12-2016, 01:20 PM
Eric travelled on the Bonnyrigg bus in the late 70s or early 80s. In those days he was sporting a "fashionable " perm 😳. A great player from a time there were a lot of great players.
Funny how most of us can remember most of our teams from that era , and I can hardly remember the team from 5 or 6 years ago.

wearehibernian
02-12-2016, 04:03 PM
There is also a book signing for the Eric Stevenson book in the club shop before the Dumbarton game. Apologies, if it was already mentioned.
Will stick up some more details soon but there will also be a signing for the 'We are Hibernian' book on the same day. Should be worth popping in from around 12.30ish I think...
:flag:

Hedlund12
06-12-2016, 07:58 AM
For those planning to attend Erics book launch:
Date: Wed 7th Dec
Time: 6:30 for 7:00
Venue: HFC
Arrival- West Stand Reception

The Rebel
07-12-2016, 06:25 AM
I'll be there 👍🏼

The Harp
07-12-2016, 08:51 PM
Couldn't make it down to ER tonight for Eric's book launch. Hope it was a success as Eric was up there with my all-time Hibs favourites. Have dropped the usual subtle hints to my kids that this could be well worth reading. No doubt it's fallen on deaf ears and I'll be down at the Club store post Xmas to get my own. Families eh!

Viva_Palmeiras
07-12-2016, 09:02 PM
Couldn't make it down to ER tonight for Eric's book launch. Hope it was a success as Eric was up there with my all-time Hibs favourites. Have dropped the usual subtle hints to my kids that this could be well worth reading. No doubt it's fallen on deaf ears and I'll be down at the Club store post Xmas to get my own. Families eh!

As you do - met a fellow Hibee who had been in the Chippie. Said that it was packed and that that ran out of books. Lots of well kent faces there inc. Sir Pat, Sloop, Brownlie, Cropley and Martin.

The Harp
07-12-2016, 09:32 PM
As you do - met a fellow Hibee who had been in the Chippie. Said that it was packed and that that ran out of books. Lots of well kent faces there inc. Sir Pat, Sloop, Brownlie, Cropley and Martin.

Ah, that's good to hear (about it being packed, not about them running out of books) - cheers for posting.
One of the most talented players to grace the green in my 60+ years supporting the Hibs.

wearehibernian
08-12-2016, 06:51 PM
Thought I would just post this here rather than starting a new thread.
This Saturday will see two book signings in the club shop:

BOOK SIGNING
12PM-2PM
Saturday 10 December
Club Shop
Easter Road Stadium

12PM-1.30PM:
Hibs Through and Through: The Eric Stevenson Story gives a thrilling account of playing for Hibs during the 1960s and early ’70s. Tom Wright and Eric will be signing books alongside some other very notable players/mystery guests from around that era.
http://www.luath.co.uk/hibs-through-through.html

1.30PM ONWARDS
We are Hibernian: Me, Bruce Findlay and Gordon Munro will be signing the special Scottish Cup edition of We Are Hibernian. You can find more info by clicking here: https://goo.gl/FDYLtw

Hope to meet some of you on Saturday!

:thumbsup:

emerald green
10-12-2016, 12:46 PM
An excellent read / interview with Eric Stevenson. Lots of great memories. Terrific player.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/interview-eric-stevenson-on-his-love-affair-with-hibs-1-4313983

Seveno
10-12-2016, 06:17 PM
I went down early to buy the book and get it signed by Eric. No Eric, no book - sold out earlier. Clearly the publisher or shop underestimated the affection in which this great Hibee is held.

Hedlund12
10-12-2016, 06:37 PM
I went down early to buy the book and get it signed by Eric. No Eric, no book - sold out earlier. Clearly the publisher or shop underestimated the affection in which this great Hibee is held.

I think Eric too underestimates the affection in which he is held! He was in the shop today signing the book and was in BTG when the book sold out. I'm sure he said 75 copies sold on Wednesday and 75 copies sold today. Hopefully more copies will be available soon.