PDA

View Full Version : Garry O'Connor

CraigHibee
29-11-2016, 12:47 PM
shame to read about this in the evening news

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/our-region/edinburgh/garry-o-connor-arrested-over-harvey-nichols-theft-1-4303995

it said a member of staff recognised him from cctv, hopefully a case of mistaken identity or a simple misunderstanding

29-11-2016, 12:52 PM
What a very sad fall from grace he is. He once had it all, money and a very promising career ahead of him but sadly he ruined it with so much nonsense off the park. Sadly for O'Conner it was perhaps too much, too young and he listened to the wrong people and had too many hangers on. Not tryna take away any of the blame from O'Conner because he still made bad choices but I think a lot of people took advantage of a young, silly laddie with lots of money. I bet a lot of these people have nothing to do with him now that the money and the glamour days are over.

Big L
29-11-2016, 01:11 PM
Hibs got a lot of money on his transfer, they also kept his cut, apparently £300,000. He didn't want to go to Russia but the fee was bgger and he was persuaded. Got RP written all over it, should give him a bung!

CraigHibee
29-11-2016, 01:14 PM
What a very sad fall from grace he is. He once had it all, money and a very promising career ahead of him but sadly he ruined it with so much nonsense off the park. Sadly for O'Conner it was perhaps too much, too young and he listened to the wrong people and had too many hangers on. Not tryna take away any of the blame from O'Conner because he still made bad choices but I think a lot of people took advantage of a young, silly laddie with lots of money. I bet a lot of these people have nothing to do with him now that the money and the glamour days are over.

yeah its a total shame, you're right about the hangers on, once someone has nothing major to offer these folk fall away to leech onto some else, his interview before the cup final he admitted he had made mistakes and mentioned his "associates" and that he had ditched them. i do feel sorry for Garry with the folk that took advantage of him back then

MWHIBBIES
29-11-2016, 01:14 PM
Bloody idiot. Even after making mistakes we gave him a 2nd chance and he repaid us by getting fat and not bothering his arse after the first few months.

Iain G
29-11-2016, 01:28 PM
Bloody idiot. Even after making mistakes we gave him a 2nd chance and he repaid us by getting fat and not bothering his arse after the first few months.

He is only 33, is there any real reason he shouldn't still be playing football at a good level?

When he was fit he was more devastating than his mate Riordan, both of them have wasted very promising careers, is pretty sad really.

Salt N Sauzee
29-11-2016, 01:32 PM

What are you on about? He scored 16 goals in that 2nd spell with us and played a big part in keeping us in the league.

JDHibs
29-11-2016, 01:40 PM
He was in with the wrong people before we sold him.

Was probably wrong to push him towards Russia but he agreed as it helped us pay for the academy at the time due the inflated price we got for him.

Hate seeing things like this with footballers, laddie had it all and wasted most of it on stupid cars and drugs. Buying new Ferrari's every 6 months and losing thousands!

Thought he was getting his life back on track with Selkirk as apparently he got into decent shape and was doing well teaching the younger lads.

P.s the guy scored 16 times in his second spell and im pretty sure most of them were before the turn of the year, so hardly didnt give a toss the first few months. Maybe the last few months.

KeithTheHibby
29-11-2016, 01:49 PM
He is only 33, is there any real reason he shouldn't still be playing football at a good level?

When he was fit he was more devastating than his mate Riordan, both of them have wasted very promising careers, is pretty sad really.

Yep, the guy is a complete idiot.

The most recent press reports confirm that he hasn't changed despite what he says.

MWHIBBIES
29-11-2016, 01:56 PM
What are you on about? He scored 16 goals in that 2nd spell with us and played a big part in keeping us in the league.We wouldn't have been close to relegation had he been fit all season. Run ins with the police, diving and being at least a stone overweight are what I remember from his 2nd spell.

hibbysam
29-11-2016, 02:17 PM
We wouldn't have been close to relegation had he been fit all season. Run ins with the police, diving and being at least a stone overweight are what I remember from his 2nd spell.

Good for you, I remember his numerous goals in which he helped bring LG on massively, including a quite wonderful display against Aberdeen in the semi final. How many goals do you expect one to score in a season? Garry never scored more than 20 league goals I don't think, so 16 was quite a decent return and one that made sure we stayed up.

scoopyboy
29-11-2016, 02:24 PM
Hibs got a lot of money on his transfer, they also kept his cut, apparently £300,000. He didn't want to go to Russia but the fee was bgger and he was persuaded. Got RP written all over it, should give him a bung!

Garry was happy to go to Russia.

Hibs never kept his cut, he gave it to Hibs.

Billychaotic182
29-11-2016, 02:26 PM
He was only just on the radio saying how he is a changed man

MWHIBBIES
29-11-2016, 02:30 PM
Good for you, I remember his numerous goals in which he helped bring LG on massively, including a quite wonderful display against Aberdeen in the semi final. How many goals do you expect one to score in a season? Garry never scored more than 20 league goals I don't think, so 16 was quite a decent return and one that made sure we stayed up.I expect maximum effort and fitness as a minimum, he wasn't close to that.

hibee
29-11-2016, 03:01 PM
If true then just another stupid thing to add to a long list of things he's done. There can't be many places he can walk into in Edinburgh without being recognised so can't imagine why he thought he could get away with stealing from a large busy shop.

I know he's brought on most of his troubles himself but I still can't help feel a bit sorry for him.

Big L
29-11-2016, 03:08 PM
Garry was happy to go to Russia.

Hibs never kept his cut, he gave it to Hibs.

He's quoted as saying their were better options, and I don't think he woke up one morning and thought " I think I will give Hibs £ 300k" I bet he wished he'd stuck it in a pension, would be set for life, bad advice if you ask me!

jacomo
29-11-2016, 03:19 PM
If true then just another stupid thing to add to a long list of things he's done. There can't be many places he can walk into in Edinburgh without being recognised so can't imagine why he thought he could get away with stealing from a large busy shop.

I know he's brought on most of his troubles himself but I still can't help feel a bit sorry for him.

Agree.

He's made plenty of bad decisions but I didn't not think he's a bad guy.

Dashing Bob S
29-11-2016, 03:21 PM
A decent man obviously fallen on hard times of either the economic of psychological variety. He must have been desperate to (allegedly) do this, as are many people at this time of year. We all have weaknesses and foibles, most of us are fortunate enough to outgrow them before they wreck our lives.

Not going to sit in judgement on him, but simply wish him well.

DaveF
29-11-2016, 03:28 PM
Sure I read that he had just signed a new 3 year contract last week with Selkirk so don't imagine this will go down well.

Pretty Boy
29-11-2016, 03:41 PM
Whatever his faults he is a human being who is obviously struggling. Whether that struggle is as simple as having had too little intelligence and too much money or something deeper I don't know.

It's easy to judge, and I'm sure plenty of his problems are of his own making, but you never know what's around the corner for yourself or your own family. On his day he was a great player for Hibs and he's at least admitted in the past that he made his own mistakes.

I wish him well and hope he gets the help he needs and sorts himself out once and for all.

snooky
29-11-2016, 03:53 PM
Whatever his faults he is a human being who is obviously struggling. Whether that struggle is as simple as having had too little intelligence and too much money or something deeper I don't know.

It's easy to judge, and I'm sure plenty of his problems are of his own making, but you never know what's around the corner for yourself or your own family. On his day he was a great player for Hibs and he's at least admitted in the past that he made his own mistakes.

I wish him well and hope he gets the help he needs and sorts himself out once and for all.

It may be he lacks a moral compass. (That's not meant to be an accusation, btw.)
He won't be the first or last person to go through life with a lack of understanding of what is right & what is wrong.

northstandhibby
29-11-2016, 04:08 PM
It may be he lacks a moral compass. (That's not meant to be an accusation, btw.)
He won't be the first or last person to go through life with a lack of understanding of what is right & what is wrong.

Yep. Agree with you.

There are plenty of wrong uns in all types of authority positions getting away with all sorts of which we will never hear about as they cover up for each other.

Not defending Gazza if he has done it but hes not the sharpest tool in the box and hope they go easy on him if found guilty of anything.

Watched you score some crackers Gazza especially the 1-0 win against the Yams so hope you get the help you need.

hibbysam
29-11-2016, 04:11 PM
I expect maximum effort and fitness as a minimum, he wasn't close to that.

I expect good quality footballers, which Garry was. To say he was a non trier is an insult to the boy. His fitness did not stop him putting in top performances and IIRC he did/was on the verge of getting called up to the Scotland squad.

You said we would have been comfortable had he been a stone lighter, now I have no idea how you know players weights and BMI's and how this in turn would have won Hibs more games but I'm interested to find out...

SRHibs
29-11-2016, 04:13 PM
He was only just on the radio saying how he is a changed man

Same thing in the pre-cup final interview, while simultaneously having pupils like saucers. Clearly still has a huge coke problem.

G B Young
29-11-2016, 04:16 PM
He's quoted as saying their were better options, and I don't think he woke up one morning and thought " I think I will give Hibs £ 300k" I bet he wished he'd stuck it in a pension, would be set for life, bad advice if you ask me!

But hardly Hibs' fault surely? I recall thinking it was a big-hearted gesture from O'Connor at the time. The move was a great one for him and where one must assume he was badly advised or handled was once he got to Russia, where I recall his partner struggled to settle. That could probably have been handled better by either his new club or his agent.

Where I felt Hibs might have done better was to try and hold on to him until the end of the season, given that we were going strong in the Scottish Cup at the time, having won 5-1 at Falkirk and with a semi-final v Hearts looming for which Hibs already knew Riordan, Brown and Killen would be missing. We ended up fielding a shadow team that day.

calumhibee1
29-11-2016, 04:20 PM
Have absolutely no interest in defending him anymore. The guys a waster.

oldbutdim
29-11-2016, 04:29 PM

I'm afraid Garry has always been quite prone to imaginative interpretations of reality......... the number of times he claimed Rantic were on the point of signing him being a favourite one. As I recall it, both he and his agent (was it not Medals?) were desperate to get their hands on the mega dough being offered by the Russians. There was talk of six figure sums being paid in 'derby bonus' wins - and several so-called derby games per season!
My recollection is that Garry was one of Rodder's 'favourite sons' and he acceded to the move because it was a 'life changing offer' for the lad.

Garry was extremely grateful at Hibs allowing him to move, (Cup Final looming?) and responded by handing over a decent wedge.

Maybe my memory is faulty of course..................

EdinMike
29-11-2016, 04:40 PM
Have absolutely no interest in defending him anymore. The guys a waster.

Snap. Worked in George Street a few years and he was always wide eyed and off his face whenever I saw him. Lost all respect I had for him then.

scoopyboy
29-11-2016, 05:20 PM

You could never really believe a word Garry would tell you.

Some of things he would tell you that seemed plausible turned out to be a pile of crap and other times he would claim something outrageous and it was right.

One Saturday afternoon I was taking the laddie for a walk in his pram across Pinkie and Hibs were just about to start a training session there, Garry saw me and came running over and said "Scoop, you're no gonna believe this but the manager is starting Konte in front of Deek at Tynecastle tomorrow". I didn't believe a word of it but low and behold he was right.

A lovely big guy who has sadly lost his way, too gullible when he was younger and I can't help but feel for him.

blackpoolhibs
29-11-2016, 05:25 PM
There are only so many times you can defend some folk, he scored some great goals for us, and made us a very good amount of money when he left.

I'm fed up listening to him tell me he's a changed man, how many times is it now after his recent interview?

And he had the cheek to say he should be asked to go into some clubs, and tell the young players about all the pitfalls they might fall into, especially as it seems he's still making these kind of mistakes.

biotech
29-11-2016, 05:37 PM
No more second chances. He's a case study for young players - How to waste your talent!

Heisenberg
29-11-2016, 05:56 PM
He manages to say he wasn't there then admit he actually was in the same interview. Absolute idiot and if found to be guillty then deserves the book thrown at him.

Jonnyboy
29-11-2016, 06:12 PM
There's an irony in the fact that Garry is being widely criticised for being imperfect while at the same time we have a thread lauding the severely flawed George Best. Garry has made mistakes and seems to go on making them but George did the very same so I guess that no one is perfect

ancient hibee
29-11-2016, 06:16 PM
There's an irony in the fact that Garry is being widely criticised for being imperfect while at the same time we have a thread lauding the severely flawed George Best. Garry has made mistakes and seems to go on making them but George did the very same so I guess that no one is perfect

Gary at least could be relied on to turn up.

.Sean.
29-11-2016, 06:33 PM
Genuinely saddened at this. I'm fed up defending him on here because it's one thing after another but let's remember none of us are angels and every single one of us will have our issues, as he clearly has.

I feel sorry for him, not for him himself as such but for his parents, wife and bairns as his name is constinually dragged through the gutter by the press, yes by his own doing but he doesn't get a break. On the other hand for how much longer can the 'daft young laddie' excuses really wash.

As I said, what a sad predicament.

Big L
29-11-2016, 07:15 PM
But hardly Hibs' fault surely? I recall thinking it was a big-hearted gesture from O'Connor at the time. The move was a great one for him and where one must assume he was badly advised or handled was once he got to Russia, where I recall his partner struggled to settle. That could probably have been handled better by either his new club or his agent.

Where I felt Hibs might have done better was to try and hold on to him until the end of the season, given that we were going strong in the Scottish Cup at the time, having won 5-1 at Falkirk and with a semi-final v Hearts looming for which Hibs already knew Riordan, Brown and Killen would be missing. We ended up fielding a shadow team that day.

I have to disagree with that, they should have given him his cut and let him get on his way, after all, they got a nice fee for him and that should have been enough for a lad that cost nothing!

CropleyWasGod
29-11-2016, 07:17 PM
I have to disagree with that, they should have given him his cut and let him get on his way, after all, they got a nice fee for him and that should have been enough for a lad that cost nothing!
So the guy says.. here's my cut of the deal. Hibs should have refused that?

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

BSEJVT
29-11-2016, 07:25 PM
I thought Garry was tremendous towards the end of his first spell at Hibs.

Although he scored a lot of goals second time around (at least in the early part of the season) it saddened me to see the fat mess he had turned into towards the end.

It was evident then he was completely out of control and his professional football career was over.

Quite how the then football management team allowed him to pile on the weight he did is another story.

I cant help feeling sorry for him in his continuing downfall and it must take a lot for him continuing to live a public life with the amount of **** he continue to get thrown at him at every opportunity.

He was yet another childhood prodigy and as a consequence was probably exposed to things before he could handle them and probably want exposed to either the type of influences or experiences that may have tamed him.

I recognise that he is to blame for his own downfall, but as spectacular as it has been, it must be completely beyond him to do anything about it.

He isn't the first and wont be the last to have it all and piss it all away on the never ending road to self destruction.

I would love him to turn into a functioning citizen his wife, family and children could be proud of for what he is rather than was, but it doesn't look good.

Keith_M
29-11-2016, 07:26 PM

O'Connor made a fortune from playing in Russia. He's the one that sniffed it all away.

As for the comparison to George Best; Most of us can separate the genius from the lunacy and recognise both for what they are. Best was a waster and was rightly vilified for idiotic behaviour off the pitch.

...though to be fair to George Best, he never once lamped an Elvis Impersonator in Prestonpans. :wink:

McD
29-11-2016, 07:26 PM

He offered the the money to Hibs, we didn't ask him for it

BSEJVT
29-11-2016, 07:29 PM
O'Connor made a fortune from playing in Russia. He's the one that sniffed it all away.

As for the comparison to George Best; Most of us can separate the genius from the lunacy and recognise both for what they are. Best was a waster and was rightly vilified for idiotic behaviour off the pitch.

...though to be fair to George Best, he never once lamped an Elvis Impersonator in Prestonpans. :wink:

I think that is really unfair

Judging by the amount of Elvis impersonators that get lamped by professional footballers there is clearly something far wrong with them.

I don't see Lady Gaga impersonators getting anything like that level of hostility :-)

Malthibby
29-11-2016, 07:32 PM
Just rebuilding his life; really hope this isn't true.
If it is it'll be a car crash......

Frazerbob
29-11-2016, 07:35 PM
Gary at least could be relied on to turn up.

Apart from Scotland duty of course!

Big L
29-11-2016, 07:54 PM

In a word yes! Who said he made the offer? Maybe RP got the begging bowl out. He must have been 22 at the time and not very bright at that. They got £1.6Mil and that should have been enough.

CropleyWasGod
29-11-2016, 07:55 PM
In a word yes! Who said he made the offer? Maybe RP got the begging bowl out. He must have been 22 at the time and not very bright at that. They got £1.6Mil and that should have been enough.

So Hibs should have refused 300k. Nice. 😀

The money was GC's in the first place. Do you have any evidence that Hibs demanded it from him?

Big L
29-11-2016, 07:57 PM
Do you have any evidence of this?

Your the one that said he made the offer!

CropleyWasGod
29-11-2016, 07:59 PM
Your the one that said he made the offer!
Like I say, it was his money. The generally accepted truth at the time was that he gave it to Hibs.

What makes you think that wasn't the case?

WhileTheChief..
29-11-2016, 08:02 PM
Can't feel sorry for him at all.

He's a grown man capable of making his own decisions. Hopefully in time he'll sort himself out for the sake of his family but I don't think he has any career whatsoever in football.

If I was the parent of a young footballer I'd far rather have him listen to Darren McGregor or Lewis Stevenson or any of our first team over Garry. I wouldn't want him anywhere near.

Big L
29-11-2016, 08:05 PM
Like I say, it was his money. The generally accepted truth at the time was that he gave it to Hibs.

What makes you think that wasn't the case?

"The generally accepted truth" your dragging them out your ass now. You don't know how this came about!, one things for sure, O'Connor should have been better advised.

--------
29-11-2016, 08:06 PM

How many 'flawed human beings' - have played for Hibs over the years?

(I'm not going to list anyone - none of my business. And I don't want anyone to start a thread abut 'Wasters who played for the Cabbage', either. :wink:)

I think there must be a fair few of us should be grateful that OUR personal issues aren't played out under the spotlight of tabloid surveillance and journalistic judgementalism.

CropleyWasGod
29-11-2016, 08:10 PM
"The generally accepted truth" your dragging them out your ass now. You don't know how this came about!, one things for sure, O'Connor should have been better advised.
No need for the abuse.

I can accept that his giving away his money voluntarily may have been a Hibs.net myth. However, you seem sure of your case. So I'm asking what makes you think that he didn't.

Highland_Hibee
29-11-2016, 08:13 PM
Only truth I've seen is that he was recognised on CCTV at the time of the incident. Gary has done plenty daft things in his life, he will be the first to tell you. We don't have to fling him under the bus for the sake of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big L
29-11-2016, 08:21 PM
No need for the abuse.

I can accept that his giving away his money voluntarily may have been a Hibs.net myth. However, you seem sure of your case. So I'm asking what makes you think that he didn't.

I don't believe I actually said that, what I did say and have said all along is that he should have been better advised. It seems a bit sad to me that we have an owner who is apparently worth hundreds of millions and they are taking or accepting £300k from a young lad who had nowt and not that clever to boot. I don't think most parents would have allowed their kid to give that money away whether or maybe been persuaded to do so.

Pretty Boy
29-11-2016, 08:23 PM
Would the extra £300K really have made that much difference to Garry in the long run? Given the money he is alleged to have blown over the years.

Serious question. I've blown relatively decent sums of money on my own vices in the past and looking back I don't think an extra couple of hundred (or even thousand quid) would have made any difference. I just would have spent that as well more than likely.

stantonhibby
29-11-2016, 08:24 PM
I don't believe I actually said that, what I did say and have said all along is that he should have been better advised. It seems a bit sad to me that we have an owner who is apparently worth hundreds of millions and they are taking or accepting £300k from a young lad who had nowt and not that clever to boot. I don't think most parents would have allowed their kid to give that money away whether or maybe been persuaded to do so.

Had nowt ? He was going to earn a fortune in Moscow. He admitted at one point he had more money than he knew what to do with. I'm sure he got a ridiculously large bonus when he won the cup over there.

northstandhibby
29-11-2016, 08:27 PM

...though to be fair to George Best, he never once lamped an Elvis Impersonator in Prestonpans. :wink:Stokesy lamped one too a few years ago. Every year there is an assault of some sort or another on an Elvis Impersonator written of in the papers.

Anyone know why they seem to generate such rage in some people. I've seen a couple at do's I've been at and I can't understand it myself. i've always enjoyed their take on Elvis. Maybe its like the clowns which some people have a phobia of and seem to get very disturbed by.

:dunno:

Big L
29-11-2016, 08:30 PM
Had nowt ? He was going to earn a fortune in Moscow. He admitted at one point he had more money than he knew what to do with. I'm sure he got a ridiculously large bonus when he won the cup over there.

The lad struck me that he might have a problem holding on to his cash and that unfortunately is what has transpired. I think if he had been properly treated/advised that he might have had something when he retired. Am I the only one that thinks Hibs should have shown a bit more responsibility here? If they had taken the cash and invested it I would have thought more off them

Mr White
29-11-2016, 08:41 PM
The lad struck me that he might have a problem holding on to his cash and that unfortunately is what has transpired. I think if he had been properly treated/advised that he might have had something when he retired. Am I the only one that thinks Hibs should have shown a bit more responsibility here? If they had taken the cash and invested it I would have thought more off them

Hibs did all they could for Garry. Some things are outwith the reach of employers unfortunately. It does highlight what can go wrong when you get a situation where a young easily led guy comes into a lot of money quickly and isn't able to handle it himself, though I suspect Garry could have had Martin Lewis living in his spare room and he'd still have spanked the lot unfortunately.

It's sad but some people just can't or won't take good advice when it comes to finances and lifestyle.

Malthibby
29-11-2016, 08:49 PM

They did - they invested it in East Mains....
I personally just think that Garry felt he had hit the big time & wanted to make a contribution, it was a lot of money
but he was expecting to make a lot more. Don't have any issue with Hibs accepting the offer.
GG

Big L
29-11-2016, 08:56 PM
Hibs did all they could for Garry. Some things are outwith the reach of employers unfortunately. It does highlight what can go wrong when you get a situation where a young easily led guy comes into a lot of money quickly and isn't able to handle it himself, though I suspect Garry could have had Martin Lewis living in his spare room and he'd still have spanked the lot unfortunately.

It's sad but some people just can't or won't take good advice when it comes to finances and lifestyle.

I get that and I agree with everything you say. Surely that's the time to be taking his fee and banging it in to a pension which he couldn't get his hands on utili age 35.I bet he wished he had that to look forward to !

Mr White
29-11-2016, 09:02 PM
I get that and I agree with everything you say. Surely that's the time to be taking his fee and banging it in to a pension which he couldn't get his hands on utili age 35.I bet he wished he had that to look forward to !

In 2006 with his multi thousand pound weekly wage in Russia there would have been no reason for hibs to do that... or be able to predict it should be necessary. The fact is Garry O had more cash than he needed back than while every penny was as important to Hibs as a club as it remains today.

The big guy has to take responsibility for his own actions. I recently thought he was doing that so it'll be sad if he ends up convicted over these charges.

Dashing Bob S
29-11-2016, 09:03 PM
I'd be very suspicious of a Hibs striker who didn't have some personal issues.

CropleyWasGod
29-11-2016, 09:11 PM
In 2006 with his multi thousand pound weekly wage in Russia there would have been no reason for hibs to do that... or be able to predict it should be necessary. The fact is Garry O had more cash than he needed back than while every penny was as important to Hibs as a club as it remains today.

The big guy has to take responsibility for his own actions. I recently thought he was doing that so it'll be sad if he ends up convicted over these charges.
The context was that we were coming off the back of an £18m debt, so you're right....we needed the money. GOC had...what was the quote?...."a life-changing opportunity ". In that light, what happened was pretty reasonable.

Hindsight suggests he made a bad decision, but Hibs can't be held responsible for that.

Dashing Bob S
29-11-2016, 09:14 PM
The context was that we were coming off the back of an £18m debt, so you're right....we needed the money. GOC had...what was the quote?...."a life-changing opportunity ". In that light, what happened was pretty reasonable.

Hindsight suggests he made a bad decision, but Hibs can't be held responsible for that.

Debatable as to whether he'd have fared any better staying at home in the George Street blizzard of cocaine and hangers-on.

eastmainsmsh
29-11-2016, 09:21 PM
think the person who says its Garry is a yam . Garry is a good lad just wish media would let him and his family move on he has a lot to offer football in some capacity :agree:

CropleyWasGod
29-11-2016, 09:25 PM
Debatable as to whether he'd have fared any better staying at home in the George Street blizzard of cocaine and hangers-on.
In some ways, he did the right thing in getting out. I always like the idea of young guys getting out into a new environment....Collins, Macleod, Lambert spring to mind. It develops them as people as well as footballers.

Some, though, are just not made that way. Riordan and Brown ?

worcesterhibby
29-11-2016, 09:40 PM

All the evidence we have suggests that If Garry had kept the £300 K he would have invested it up his nose..not on a pension. Maybe the money invested in the coaching set up is the one really tangible thing that Garry still has to be proud of !

iwasthere1972
29-11-2016, 10:23 PM
Wasted what could and should have been a great career. At only 33, had he been able to keep himself on the straight and narrow, he would have been at his peak playing for a top club either in England or abroad and helping Scotland qualify for the World Cup.

Ah well it could have been a lot worse. Imagine if he had been caught shoplifting in Poundsavers. At least he aimed high by 'shopping' at Harvey Nicks.

Brightside
29-11-2016, 10:33 PM
He's only just accepted a new 3 years deal at Selkirk....on more than the rest of the squad put together. If he gets done for this you have to think his days in football are over.

29-11-2016, 10:41 PM
I get the sympathy for O'Conner and I do have some myself but we can't use the "he's just a young laddie" excuse anymore. If he is still doing silly things like this then he clearly hasn't learnt or grown up. I suppose he became accustomed to a luxury life and now that he can no longer afford it he has resorted to theft. I think he's not a very clever guy and I think he's loved the lifestyle of a top footballer but not loved the hard work and dedication of a top footballer.

Captain Trips
29-11-2016, 11:05 PM
He made enough money in Russia and probably with next move to have set himself for life with the right management of the funds, he did not and I like everyone on here would have loved the chance to be in such a position.

Sympathy has gone. Clownshoe he is.

scoopyboy
29-11-2016, 11:19 PM

Aye we should have said shuv your gift to us up your arse Garry and also told Scott Brown and Steven Fletcher the same.

CraigHibee
29-11-2016, 11:27 PM
It's a shame the road garry went down but, we control our destiny and what we do in life we need to take responsibility for, if this had been some normal punter involved I doubt we would ever hear about it

snooky
29-11-2016, 11:45 PM
Wasted what could and should have been a great career. At only 33, had he been able to keep himself on the straight and narrow, he would have been at his peak playing for a top club either in England or abroad and helping Scotland qualify for the World Cup.

Ah well it could have been a lot worse. Imagine if he had been caught shoplifting in Poundsavers. At least he aimed high by 'shopping' at Harvey Nicks.

Rather ironic too.

jacomo
29-11-2016, 11:50 PM

:agree:

jacomo
29-11-2016, 11:54 PM

And neither do you.

Why a Hibs fan should be annoyed that Hibs did well from a transfer is beyond me.

cabbageandribs1875
30-11-2016, 02:54 AM

surely that is a job for a players agent/accountant :dunno:

Jamesie
30-11-2016, 07:08 AM

I recall at an AGM a few years ago when O'Conner was criticised RP then gave quite an emotional response defending him - was quite impressed by RP that evening but for the life of me I can't remember exactly what he said.

hibsbollah
30-11-2016, 07:44 AM

Or maybe he looks back fondly on a youth spent having a right ****ing laugh?
I weep for those stuck in a financial services career.

hibee
30-11-2016, 06:45 PM
He's not the only player to have donated some or all of their signing on fee to the club and it didn't do any of the others much harm.

At the rate Garry got through his money it wouldn't have made much difference to him.

As for putting it in a pension the £300k would be lucky to get him £15k per year by the time he's 60 so not much use to him at this stage.

CropleyWasGod
30-11-2016, 06:51 PM
He's not the only player to have donated some or all of their signing on fee to the club and it didn't do any of the others much harm.

At the rate Garry got through his money it wouldn't have made much difference to him.

As for putting it in a pension the £300k would be lucky to get him £15k per year by the time he's 60 so not much use to him at this stage.
Agreed on the first point.

On the second, he could take his pot at aged 35. Some occupations (such as dancers and footballers) can do that, subject to certain restrictions.

hibee
30-11-2016, 07:00 PM
Agreed on the first point.

On the second, he could take his pot at aged 35. Some occupations (such as dancers and footballers) can do that, subject to certain restrictions.

Pension at 35, sounds good although since you mentioned it I just checked his age and was shocked to see he's only 33, should still be playing at a decent level with no money worries.

WhileTheChief..
30-11-2016, 08:52 PM
£300k would get you around £15k pa at age 65 now. If he invested that amount at age 30 it would be worth well over £1m by 65.

Not many folk with a pension pot of £300k at 30 years old. A male aged 65 retires with an average pension pot of approx £35k.

DaveF
30-11-2016, 10:24 PM
He better get his team back on track or that 3 year contract won't last long. Humped 5-0 on Saturday and lost 3-0 tonight v Lothian Thistle \ Hutchie Vale.

Brightside
30-11-2016, 10:45 PM
He better get his team back on track or that 3 year contract won't last long. Humped 5-0 on Saturday and lost 3-0 tonight v Lothian Thistle \ Hutchie Vale.

If you watch them training you'd see why...