PDA

View Full Version : Persevered by Aidan Smith

Highland_Hibee
27-11-2016, 07:27 PM
Great piece.

Tells the story of this wee team in the quest for footballs holy grail. They are a side known for fleeting moments of success but more often than not wind up disappointed. No more so than when in pursuit of the evasive national trophy which no living man has ever seen them lift.

It's maybe a bit too much fantasy for some but if you can overlook the fictional aspects it's a real feel good read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HibbyAndy
27-11-2016, 07:30 PM
This the die hard Hibby that ended up watching Hearts for a year and ended up with feelings for them ?

hibsbollah
27-11-2016, 07:37 PM
This the die hard Hibby that ended up watching Hearts for a year and ended up with feelings for them ?

:agree:
'Erse felt' I believe it's called.
Aidan smith comes on here sometimes so I'll be gentle but I found the whole thing where he developed a mancrush on them a bit hard to stomach.

Itsnoteasy
27-11-2016, 07:41 PM

I listened to him promoting his book on Sportsound or Tam Cowan show & he was banging on about how Hibs fans enjoyed being the nearly team & we don't know what to do or talk about now as we have won the holy grail.
What a load of p!$h.

ACLeith
27-11-2016, 07:59 PM
I listened to him promoting his book on Sportsound or Tam Cowan show & he was banging on about how Hibs fans enjoyed being the nearly team & we don't know what to do or talk about now as we have won the holy grail.
What a load of p!$h.

I cringed when I heard it - and shouted at the car radio! I know exactly what to talk about now! but I enjoyed the book - liked the contexts he put the bare facts in - a bit like the DVD

Nameless
27-11-2016, 07:59 PM
What a load of p!$h.
I heard that too. I hate when people try to speak for all hibbies, and get it TOTALLY wrong! If he's on here I hope he does read this - tool.

superbam
27-11-2016, 08:15 PM
I heard that too. I hate when people try to speak for all hibbies, and get it TOTALLY wrong! If he's on here I hope he does read this - tool.

Yep its cringeworthy, especially when they are so wide of the mark. Not sure how in tune he is with the hibs support.

stoneyburn hibs
27-11-2016, 08:28 PM
Yep its cringeworthy, especially when they are so wide of the mark. Not sure how in tune he is with the hibs support.

He's not in tune at all. I couldn't believe my ears when he came out with that one, shouting at the radio as I drove to the QOS game. What Hibs fan would rather we were still chasing the holy grail ?

Holmesdale Hibs
27-11-2016, 08:32 PM
What a load of p!$h.

Didn't hear that, but agree it's pi$h. I can talk all day about us winning the cup.

Thought Heartfelt was a good read though and enjoy most of his articles.

Tobias Funke
27-11-2016, 08:42 PM
What a load of p!$h.

Garbage on an absolutely astonishing scale. :rolleyes:

This is a guy who wrote a negative review for a Springsteen concert in the Evening News many years ago. Hilariously he noted the crowd were booing The Boss, failing to notice they were actually shouting "Bruuuuuce".

As for Heartfelt, I think I turned about five pages of it, got bored, and never returned.

the_ginger_hibee
27-11-2016, 08:48 PM
His interview on BBC was shocking. Allegedly we used to all think we were special because of the cup hoodoo and now that we've burst it we've came crashing back to earth realising we are now just a plain old normal team...or something?

Loadapish.

And Heartfelt was a pile of ***** aswell.

27-11-2016, 08:51 PM

Personally I was gutted when David Gray connected with that header. I think several others around me were equally upset, as they were all in tears.

Brunswickbill
27-11-2016, 08:54 PM
I was thinking about buying the book until I heard him talking about Hibs fans enjoying the lack of success in the Cup. I decided there and then that there was no way I could buy a book written by a guy who thought that. Total nonsense.

Pretty Boy
27-11-2016, 08:54 PM
I struggled with Heartfelt as I do a lot of Smiths writing. He seems to jump about between his own personal obsessions. Heartfelt went from glam rock to 70s fashion to early sexual encounters to 50s football and back again. I understand that he was trying to evoke a sense of football in a wider context for a boy of 15 and then a man in his 40s but it just lacked any real context or cohesion for me.

I've no idea what he said on the radio the other day but whilst our search for a Scottish Cup win was obviously quite a 'special' story in Scottish football I can't say winning it has changed how I feel about Hibs or my support of the club, certainly not in a negative way anyway.

green day
27-11-2016, 09:07 PM
I was thinking about buying the book until I heard him talking about Hibs fans enjoying the lack of success in the Cup. I decided there and then that there was no way I could buy a book written by a guy who thought that. Total nonsense.

Is it possible that he was having a laugh? Bearing in mind he wasn't on some highbrow intellectual book show.

I can't tell, didn't hear it.

BSEJVT
27-11-2016, 09:52 PM
Cant say I enjoyed the book at all

Typical pretentious pish from Mr Smith who seems more interested in demonstrating his intellect and alluding back to his boyhood crushes than telling the story.

I may be biased however by the heartfelt nonsense which I found utterly cringeworthy and so far removed from reality it was scary

There is a huge gap in the market for a true fans story type of book relating supporters reaction to winning the cup, rather than made up after the event versions of how someone knew it was Hibs year and decided to keep a diary etc etc

hibsbollah
27-11-2016, 09:57 PM
Cant say I enjoyed the book at all

Typical pretentious pish from Mr Smith who seems more interested in demonstrating his intellect and alluding back to his boyhood crushes than telling the story.

I may be biased however by the heartfelt nonsense which I found utterly cringeworthy and so far removed from reality it was scary

There is a huge gap in the market for a true fans story type of book relating supporters reaction to winning the cup, rather than made up after the event versions of how someone knew it was Hibs year and decided to keep a diary etc etc

If I wrote one, would you give it a bash? I've got some time on my hands and I could do with finding a 'gap in the market' :agree:

Brunswickbill
27-11-2016, 10:00 PM
Is it possible that he was having a laugh? Bearing in mind he wasn't on some highbrow intellectual book show.

I can't tell, didn't hear it.

He was dead serious. You can hear on the BBC iplayer lunch time edition Saturday 19 November.

MWHIBBIES
27-11-2016, 11:26 PM
What a load of p!$h.Surely no one is stupid enough to believe that?

fat freddy
27-11-2016, 11:34 PM
I only picked it up on Friday and am about 90 pages into it. So far, it's been a quirky read, he doesn't give you it straight, prefering to wander off down historical alleyways with lots of interesting snippets regarding our numerous past attempts to win the cup. He brings a wealth of knowledge on all things 70's to the table and it's clear that the author once bought his clothes at Cowan Tailoring while listening to Prog Rock on a battered tranny probably purchased at Bandparts. It's hard not to enjoy this book if you were born in Edinburgh in the sixties as he references so many shared experiences for those of that vintage. I've not got to the bit about me yet but having had a blether with the author after he put out an appeal on this very forum for contributions towards the books content, I'm sure it will be coloured with a seventies soundtrack and fluffed up with a few gross exagerations that all authors are permitted. The guy is getting a hard time from a few on here because of a radio interview where he expressed a view not shared by everyone, I never heard it myself but whatever he said doesn't make this a bad book and it doesn't make the authors Hibs credentials less authentic, he expressed a view, get over it, the book is a decent read

Highland_Hibee
27-11-2016, 11:39 PM
Well I'm enjoying it, I honestly had no idea who the guy is or what he said beforehand. I can't possibly believe that anyone thinks any sane Hibs fan got a kick out of being a nearly team though. If he gets a funny feeling around Hearts then so be it I guess? Near the top of a weird crush list for me but it takes all sorts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackpoolhibs
28-11-2016, 05:58 AM

This is a guy who wrote a negative review for a Springsteen concert in the Evening News many years ago. Hilariously he noted the crowd were booing The Boss, failing to notice they were actually shouting "Bruuuuuce".

As for Heartfelt, I think I turned about five pages of it, got bored, and never returned.

He seems to be totally out of touch with reality, maybe following that lot for a season has microwaved his brain?

Like you i got a few pages into that ersefelt book, and gave it back to my idiot mate who actually paid money for it.

There are some things you do and some things you dont do as a football supporter, he crossed the line under the guise of a writer. :rolleyes:

Viva_Palmeiras
28-11-2016, 06:47 AM
I only picked it up on Friday and am about 90 pages into it. So far, it's been a quirky read, he doesn't give you it straight, prefering to wander off down historical alleyways with lots of interesting snippets regarding our numerous past attempts to win the cup. He brings a wealth of knowledge on all things 70's to the table and it's clear that the author once bought his clothes at Cowan Tailoring while listening to Prog Rock on a battered tranny probably purchased at Bandparts. It's hard not to enjoy this book if you were born in Edinburgh in the sixties as he references so many shared experiences for those of that vintage. I've not got to the bit about me yet but having had a blether with the author after he put out an appeal on this very forum for contributions towards the books content, I'm sure it will be coloured with a seventies soundtrack and fluffed up with a few gross exagerations that all authors are permitted. The guy is getting a hard time from a few on here because of a radio interview where he expressed a view not shared by everyone, I never heard it myself but whatever he said doesn't make this a bad book and it doesn't make the authors Hibs credentials less authentic, he expressed a view, get over it, the book is a decent read

Personally I'm still furious with Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand over The Andrew Sachs message - what was it all about again missed the show.

Outraged vP :)

KazHibby
28-11-2016, 06:58 AM
Personally I'm still furious with Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand over The Andrew Sachs message - what was it all about again missed the show.

Outraged vP :)

I've no even seen the cover, but I am outraged myself, canny get the sand out my eyes also!

jacomo
28-11-2016, 08:11 AM
He seems to be totally out of touch with reality, maybe following that lot for a season has microwaved his brain?

Like you i got a few pages into that ersefelt book, and gave it back to my idiot mate who actually paid money for it.

There are some things you do and some things you dont do as a football supporter, he crossed the line under the guise of a writer. :rolleyes:

Fortunately people are still free to write what they want.

The way things are going, it might not last.

Baker9
28-11-2016, 11:40 AM

I'm a quarter of the way through reading it and am really enjoying it. I have no idea who he is but he is a good writer and I would recommend Persevered.

Seveno
28-11-2016, 12:00 PM
I read it in a day and loved it. It covers the history of our previous attempts as well as the 15/16 campaign, throwing in a lot of the social context.

Iain G
28-11-2016, 12:20 PM
Fortunately people are still free to write what they want.

The way things are going, it might not last.

And people are free to read what they want. I enjoyed it for what it was, he has a fairly unique writing style and it was an enjoyable bit of fluff :agree:

Dashing Bob S
28-11-2016, 12:32 PM
Normally like Aiden Smith's writing on Hibs and I actually enjoyed Heartfelt, and the personal stuff, but for some reason this book just irritated me.

I felt he just missed the whole spirit and significance of what he was writing about - strange given that he's been at the centre of all things Hibs for decades.

In that context the personal observations grated rather than enhanced the book. Not one I would recommend, and a book which achieves the remarkable feat of actually managing to detract from this transcendental experience.

Perhaps as s journo Smith misses trotting out the stale cliches about Queen Victoria and Buffalo Bill every year.

monarch
28-11-2016, 12:44 PM

I don't understand the hostility, on here, towards the author.
Aidan Smith is one of the better football reporters in Scotland as well as being an excellent feature writer for the Scotsman and Scotland on Sunday. His style is far removed from that of the banal old firm mafia who dominate the sports pages.

I'm currently reading Persevered and really enjoying it. I also read Heartfelt and also found it very enjoyable. It was a different, slightly quirky slant on being a fan and don't think it was meant to be taken too seriously.

Some people on here are surely proving themselves to be a bit over sensitive if they can't force a smile at the self deprecating humour of being a Hibs supporter.

Incidentally your last paragraph reads more like a Jim Traynor edict to the obedient Weegie press corps prior to a Sevco press conference rather than a criticism of Smith's work.

Still it's all about opinions.

Onion
28-11-2016, 12:49 PM
Normally like Aiden Smith's writing on Hibs and I actually enjoyed Heartfelt, and the personal stuff, but for some reason this book just irritated me.

I felt he just missed the whole spirit and significance of what he was writing about - strange given that he's been at the centre of all things Hibs for decades.

In that context the personal observations grated rather than enhanced the book. Not one I would recommend, and a book which achieves the remarkable feat of actually managing to detract from this transcendental experience.

Perhaps as s journo Smith misses trotting out the stale cliches about Queen Victoria and Buffalo Bill every year.

That's a pity as there's opportunity for someone to produce for a truly great book about Hibs 114 yr quest and incredible win in 2016. The material is there, just need a decent writer who can capture the essence of the story just as Disk 1 of the Cup Final DVD did.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
28-11-2016, 07:54 PM
That's a pity as there's opportunity for someone to produce for a truly great book about Hibs 114 yr quest and incredible win in 2016. The material is there, just need a decent writer who can capture the essence of the story just as Disk 1 of the Cup Final DVD did.

I belive that there is one in progress...

Vini1875
29-11-2016, 04:18 PM
Not sure he tried to capture the essence of the story for us. It was to me anyway, a very personal story of a middle class Hibs fan and his experiences with firstly losing cup ties and then finally persevering. Being driven to Hibs' games in daddys Lotus during the seventies is not about capturing our collective experience, it is clearly a very personal account. Apart from all the various facts and calamities what is really good in the book is some of the interviews with Stubbs and the players.

It might have been better if he had tried to explain why it took so long to win it and debnk some of the myths. Personally I love the idea that it was because of the Harp on the stand, but that doesn't explain why we didn't win the cup from 1902 into the 1950s when the original Harp came down.

ancient hibee
29-11-2016, 05:03 PM
Would have thought a book like this should be a personal account.Wish I could have had a few hurls in a Lotus.

Hiber-nation
29-12-2016, 08:42 AM
Got this for a Xmas present and was a bit worried as a lot of Aiden's stuff gets really on my nerves. But I really enjoyed this, one of my favourite Hibs books. Might be because he's the same age as me.....I can't get enough of the 70s reminiscences.

ekhibee
29-12-2016, 12:22 PM

If he's talking about the one at Hampden a few years back when Clarence Clemens was still alive then he's talking a load of complete and utter p!sh, because that was a brilliant gig (I was there) and there was never any booing at any stage, far from it. It's actually one of the best rock concerts I've ever been to.

ACLeith
29-12-2016, 12:45 PM
If he's talking about the one at Hampden a few years back when Clarence Clemens was still alive then he's talking a load of complete and utter p!sh, because that was a brilliant gig (I was there) and there was never any booing at any stage, far from it. It's actually one of the best rock concerts I've ever been to.

July 2009? If so the greatest gig I've been at

emerald green
29-12-2016, 12:56 PM
I sometimes wonder if Smith genuinely supports Hibs.

snedzuk
29-12-2016, 11:23 PM
Would have thought a book like this should be a personal account.Wish I could have had a few hurls in a Lotus.

Dont bother - Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious - and im not kidding!

Rougier45
30-12-2016, 02:56 AM

Weirdly I also liked heartfelt but
I hated this and have closed it down after only a few chapters - it smacks of someone trying to make a few quid out of our victory rushed out quickly and full of hearts propaganda about buffalo bill and hibsing it and he is referencing Devon Loch - ***** that I have been ignoring especially as it came from the team that collapsed at Killie in the 60s had a nervous breakdown at Dens and who have underachieved on the same grand scale as we have - It's nonsense and should not be onsale in the Hibs shop

givescotlandfreedom
30-12-2016, 04:08 AM
Weirdly I also liked heartfelt but
I hated this and have closed it down after only a few chapters - it smacks of someone trying to make a few quid out of our victory rushed out quickly and full of hearts propaganda about buffalo bill and hibsing it and he is referencing Devon Loch - ***** that I have been ignoring especially as it came from the team that collapsed at Killie in the 60s had a nervous breakdown at Dens and who have underachieved on the same grand scale as we have - It's nonsense and should not be onsale in the Hibs shop

I've read Heartfelt but not the new book. I didn't really care get the non-footballing references which were fine but not my cup of tea. One thing I do recall though was AS's dad telling him that the Hibs will always let you down. Something many people would be forgiven for saying before 21/5/16. I'd kind of hoped that he would be able to say, not this time, we didn't - not by a long shot. I'm guessing from the write up here that's not the case.

Viva_Palmeiras
30-12-2016, 06:39 AM

Clarence Clements ? He that bloke off Airplane! ?

ekhibee
30-12-2016, 09:25 AM
Clarence Clements ? He that bloke off Airplane! ?
That was Clarence Oveur :rotflmao:

ano hibby
30-12-2016, 09:39 AM
I've just finished reading it. I try & read most of the Hibs books & had read this thread before reading the book.
I found a lot of the book frustrating, jumping around listing previous cup defeats all the time. Given that mainly Hibs fans will be the readership it should have been more positive and celebrating the key moments more like the equaliser at Tynie.
Although born in 1970 so not the same age as AS I could relate to most of social context but found it too personalised to enjoy.
There were lots of really good bits though. The interviews with Stubbs Logan Hanlon and especially Henderson were excellent (the Henderson one having been already aired in the SoS). Also thought the last 50 pages were excellent about the final itself.
So a mixed review from me. 6/10
Like some others have said a proper fans perspective of the cup run bound together in a book would be great addition to the shelves too.

EDIT: I heard the interview on Sportsound as mentioned at the start of this thread any found it cringing too, nearly put me off reading the book.