PDA

View Full Version : 60's Scarf

et vireta
27-11-2016, 07:54 AM
Does anyone remember a particular scarf from the 60's that you could buy with a matching bunnet ?

I had one but I think my mum would have tossed it out during a house move.
I have seen this version worn by some lucky guys only very very rarely.
As a child in the 60's I used to see the combo of scarf and bunnet on display in the window box of a shop up in St Patricks Square called Bernard Factor.
(They also displayed the maroon version) It was made of cloth not wool etc.It was slightly lighter than bottle green but not emerald.It had a wee white line repeated through it and the words Hibernian Supporter ? The ends didn't come to a straight line but each end came to a point.

I never owned the bunnet but I remember a lot of the guys in their late teens used to wear them !

I would love to get one of the scarfs again.....wonder if Hibs would think about trying to get them in the shop if the demand was there ?

Tomsk
27-11-2016, 11:43 AM
Yes, I remember scarves of this type still kicking around when I first started going to Hibs games in 1970s. Woollen scarves started to appear in numbers I guess around 1972. Up to that point scarves tended to be of the cotton type you are describing. They varied in quality. On some the white pin-stripes were woven into the fabric; on others they were screen printed. I had one which was formed of two pieces of cloth sewn together. One side had a double pin-stripe, the other was plain with a Hibs crest in white. It also had tassels at either end. It was bulky and very warm. I still had in the 1980s when I stopped wearing scarves or any colours for that matter to games.

LaMotta
27-11-2016, 12:59 PM
Does anyone remember a particular scarf from the 60's that you could buy with a matching bunnet ?

I had one but I think my mum would have tossed it out during a house move.
I have seen this version worn by some lucky guys only very very rarely.
As a child in the 60's I used to see the combo of scarf and bunnet on display in the window box of a shop up in St Patricks Square called Bernard Factor.
(They also displayed the maroon version) It was made of cloth not wool etc.It was slightly lighter than bottle green but not emerald.It had a wee white line repeated through it and the words Hibernian Supporter ? The ends didn't come to a straight line but each end came to a point.

I never owned the bunnet but I remember a lot of the guys in their late teens used to wear them !

I would love to get one of the scarfs again.....wonder if Hibs would think about trying to get them in the shop if the demand was there ?

My old boy has one. It is exactly as you describe except has lots of wee harps with the words "Hibs Supporter" next to them. it would take a 7 figure sum to prize it from him though:greengrin

heretoday
27-11-2016, 01:54 PM
Available from Waverley Tailoring from the early sixties. I recall they did a cap a scarf and a tie, which I still have - the badge faded but a harp still visible.

They weren't very warm, the scarf being more like a cravat or school scarf.

All the clubs had them.

confused
27-11-2016, 02:38 PM
Remember them well , i think i should still have the scarf , defo got the tie i was showing it to a mate a few weeks ago , the bunnet i wore to my work for ages if only to annoy the jambos i worked with it eventually fell to bits ,
I thought i was the proverbial "Dugs Knutts" when i first bought mine , from a wee shop on the way up the stairs from the train station onto princess st.