PDA

View Full Version : Davie Provan RIP (NHC)

snooky
26-11-2016, 09:20 PM
Just announced on BBC website that former Rangers' player Davie Provan has died. A solid player in his day I recall. RIP.
I remember (before segregation at ER), DP wasn't playing too well and was getting a roasting from a RFC supporter standing next to me.
He called out "Davie Provan? Mair like Dorothy Provine!"

Mr White
26-11-2016, 09:26 PM
I didn't realise there was 2 Davie Provans. I wonder how many times I've heard reference to this guy and assumed it was the Celtic one from the 80s being discussed. Having read an obituary about this Provan it seems he had an impressive career. RIP.

NthCarolinaHibs
26-11-2016, 09:27 PM
A different David Provan...

northstandhibby
26-11-2016, 09:29 PM
I didn't realise there was 2 Davie Provans. I wonder how many times I've heard reference to this guy and assumed it was the Celtic one from the 80s being discussed. Having read an obituary about this Provan it seems he had an impressive career. RIP.

Me too. I first thought must be some mistake as I immediately connected Davie Provan with the Celtic Davie Provan. Never nice to hear of any player passing on. God Bless. RIP.

lord bunberry
26-11-2016, 09:44 PM
I didn't realise there was 2 either. RIP, but not sure why there's a thread on here about him other than to confuse people.

Tobias Funke
26-11-2016, 10:10 PM
My first ever Scottish Cup game was a game Davie Provan was involved in. He managed Albion Rovers against Coldstream. Coincidently Hibee stand up comic Eric Davidson scored for Coldstream that day, brother of Kenny who played with Hibs in the 70s.

Jonnyboy
26-11-2016, 10:18 PM
A good player in his day. RIP

CropleyWasGod
26-11-2016, 11:10 PM
I didn't realise there was 2 either. RIP, but not sure why there's a thread on here about him other than to confuse people.

To mark the passing of a Scottish internationalist, from an era when we were a force in World football.

lord bunberry
26-11-2016, 11:17 PM
To mark the passing of a Scottish internationalist, from an era when we were a force in World football.
indeed :aok:. My post was in bad taste.

CropleyWasGod
26-11-2016, 11:24 PM
indeed :aok:. My post was in bad taste.

:aok:

Forza Fred
27-11-2016, 10:43 AM
Remember him well.
A tall lumbering type of left back, whom I think took over from Rangers legend Eric Caldow.

Always remember the newspaper story about the sheriff who was adjudicating in an assault case that started when a Rangers and Celtic supporter were arguing about who was the better left back...Davie Provan or Tommy Gemmell of Celtic.

The magistrate found them both guilty and fined them 30 quid, and jokingly referred to the argument saying he could not use the bench to comment on who was the better full back, so if he could he would only suggest the case was....Not Provan!

BullsCloseHibs
27-11-2016, 11:50 AM
Didn't realise there were two either

snooky
27-11-2016, 12:37 PM
Didn't realise there were two either
To anybody who is under 45 years old, this is quite understandable.

Hiber-nation
27-11-2016, 02:21 PM
I remember getting a few autographs at ER before a huns game back in the late 60s when I was wee. Davie Provan, Ronnie McKinnon and Jim Forrest were really nice guys and signed my book. John Greig barged past as if he was far too important for stuff like that.

RIP big man.

heretoday
27-11-2016, 02:47 PM
He was a right big Hun. Kicked lumps out of our forwards. Good player.

Cat Stanton
27-11-2016, 03:56 PM
He was a right big Hun. Kicked lumps out of our forwards. Good player.

"He was a right big Hun" - pretty sure that's the first time I've seen that expression used (I presume?) as a compliment...