PDA

View Full Version : NHC Wayne Rooney, the Media and 'Respect'

Dashing Bob S
25-11-2016, 02:02 PM
I can rarely be bothered to post about non-Hibs related stuff. However, the nauseating outcry from the sports media, orchestrated by pundits and his friends in the game, which bemoans the lack of 'respect' seemingly afforded to Wayne Rooney, smacks to me of the worst of of the exhibitionism and entitlement culture endemic in the monied 'game' and its acolytes.

Firstly, it's principally directed at the fans, who pay the players crazy wages, through inflated tickets prices and TV subs. So, as we've been reduced to a commercial transaction in the equation, and let's keep it that way, and leave the mindless adulation out. Rooney, or any other person that we've made a millionaire, is entitled to sweet **** all, other than the ticket and subscription prices we choose to pay. Trying to whip up a victim culture around a multi-millionaire, based on his past achievements is highly spurious. It shows that money isn't enough for those smug emperors, they need to be adored as well. If fans are perceived to fall short in this area, they they are turned on by a buttlicking media.

No. To hell with 'em all, I say! Football is performance sport. Fans have been paying through the nose for a guy who hasn't been genuinely world-class for a few years now, and who is probably finished at the very highest level.

When Rooney retires, then will come the time to reflect upon his career, and make judgements, and offer 'respect' (or not, if you feel he has already been adequately compensated for his working efforts). Until then, he's an ageing, declining performer in a team struggling to reassert itself at the forefront of English football, despite spending millions to do so.

This is not a criticism of Rooney himself. It's only human to regale against your declining powers in life. It most decidedly is an attack on a media that forms then indulges, a player's god-like pretensions, and treats us like dutiful subjects, who are not just expected to cough up, but to mindlessly and droolingly worship those false gods at those increasingly soulless temples they call football stadia.

Outraged of Merchiston.

northstandhibby
25-11-2016, 02:05 PM
I can rarely be bothered to post about non-Hibs related stuff. However, the nauseating outcry from the sports media, orchestrated by pundits and his friends in the game, which bemoans the lack of 'respect' seemingly afforded to Wayne Rooney, smacks to me of the worst of of the exhibitionism and entitlement culture endemic in the monied 'game' and its acolytes.

Firstly, it's principally directed at the fans, who pay the players crazy wages, through inflated tickets prices and TV subs. So, as we've been reduced to a commercial transaction in the equation, and let's keep it that way, and leave the mindless adulation out. Rooney, or any other person that we've made a millionaire, is entitled to sweet **** all, other than the ticket and subscription prices we choose to pay. Trying to whip up a victim culture around a multi-millionaire, based on his past achievements is highly spurious. It shows that money isn't enough for those smug emperors, they need to be adored as well. If fans are perceived to fall short in this area, they they are turned on by a buttlicking media.

No. To hell with 'em all, I say! Football is performance sport. Fans have been paying through the nose for a guy who hasn't been genuinely world-class for a few years now, and who is probably finished at the very highest level.

When Rooney retires, then will come the time to reflect upon his career, and make judgements, and offer 'respect' (or not, if you feel he has already been adequately compensated for his working efforts). Until then, he's an ageing, declining performer in a team struggling to reassert itself at the forefront of English football, despite spending millions to do so.

This is not a criticism of Rooney himself. It's only human to regale against your declining powers in life. It most decidedly is an attack on a media that forms then indulges, a player's god-like pretensions, and treats us like dutiful subjects, who are not just expected to cough up, but to mindlessly and droolingly worship those false gods at those increasingly soulless temples they call football stadia.

Outraged of Merchiston.

Sounds like a child-like prima dona mentality. Grow up Rooney you spoilt little brat.

lapsedhibee
25-11-2016, 03:22 PM
Don't follow Manure that closely to know if he still does it, but there was a time when every week on MOTD he could be seen in gory close-up foul-mouthedly abusing officials. He's been a cracking player (as well as an occasional diver), but 'respect' is not something he's shown to other people in the game (including Manure itself, when he was pretending he wanted to play for Man City to get his already ridiculously high pay bumped up a few notches). So, to sum up, GTF.

jacomo
25-11-2016, 03:38 PM
I think his outburst to the camera at the 2010 World Cup showed his 'respect' for fans.

Then the guy - who is struggling for form and captain of his country - gets photographed apparently getting hammered at a wedding while on International duty.

I'm no puritan, and I get that the following match was a friendly, but that isn't showing much respect to his manager, team mates or fans is it?

He's also (very successfully) held his club to ransom a few times to win huge pay days.

Fair enough - he's worked harder for his money than any spoilt trust fund brat (such as, say, Donald Trump) and if the media have misrepresented his actions the other weekend he is entitled to complain.

But 'respect'? Respectfully, he hasn't shown a great deal himself.

Anyhow, the whole thing is just a stupid controversy for the tabloids and phone ins.

Callum_62
25-11-2016, 04:46 PM
I think his outburst to the camera at the 2010 World Cup showed his 'respect' for fans.

Then the guy - who is struggling for form and captain of his country - gets photographed apparently getting hammered at a wedding while on International duty.

I'm no puritan, and I get that the following match was a friendly, but that isn't showing much respect to his manager, team mates or fans is it?

Anyhow, the whole thing is just a stupid controversy for the tabloids and phone ins.

A guy who was out of the next friendly with an injury has a drink....causes no bother whatsoever and is crucified in the media for it

Rooney has been overly criticised for ages in the press

Hes no where near as 'finished' as people seem to like to point out

CyberSauzee
25-11-2016, 05:36 PM
It's all become a soap opera now with the MSM trying to fill column and screen inches with utter trivia.

Take punditry on TV. When Sky announced Henry was joining them we were subjected to endless adverts telling us his joining date ffs. For someone talking about a fitba game. Words fail.

So when it comes to footballers who are paid a fortune; if a WAG of said footballer doesn't like the personal criticism of her husband then tough.

They've used the media to raise their profile and enhance their 'celebrity' and earning capacity. When they get criticised that cannot handle it. Grow some and stop the hypocrisy.

Scouse Hibee
25-11-2016, 07:47 PM
Crucified by the media and similar erseholes who couldn't begin to dream of having as much talent or achieving as much as he has in the game. He might have played all of his football for Everton and Manchester United but I have the utmost respect for Wayne Rooney and his family.Discovered playing for the Copplehouse by the father in law of a very close friend of mine Bob Pendleton, I respect Wayne Rooney as a fellow scouser and a tremendous world class footballer.

Shrekko
25-11-2016, 08:39 PM
Crucified by the media and similar erseholes who couldn't begin to dream of having as much talent or achieving as much as he has in the game. He might have played all of his football for Everton and Manchester United but I have the utmost respect for Wayne Rooney and his family.Discovered playing for the Copplehouse by the father in law of a very close friend of mine Bob Pendleton, I respect Wayne Rooney as a fellow scouser and a tremendous world class footballer.

I agree with you. Not saying anybody owes him anything but just think the way he's been treated by the English media and some fans has been disgraceful.

He's far from a prima donna and has given his all for club and country and is a very unselfish player. To hear him being booed playing for his country was incredible- he's their all time top scorer.

Andy74
25-11-2016, 09:37 PM
Aye, I'm with those that think it's the other way. He's a guy that always seems to have given his best and his record for club and country is exceptional.

For some reason he gets more stick than he deserves.

lord bunberry
25-11-2016, 10:24 PM
Aye, I'm with those that think it's the other way. He's a guy that always seems to have given his best and his record for club and country is exceptional.

For some reason he gets more stick than he deserves.
It's an English football thing. They love to build players up in the press, then knock them down again.
Rooney has done well out of the being built up part, I suppose he'll just have to accept the being knocked down part.

Dashing Bob S
26-11-2016, 12:17 PM
An outfield Joe Hart

High-On-Hibs
26-11-2016, 01:35 PM
The guy gets 300k a week (not including endorsements and merchandising). If I want to shout abuse at him, I will. If his emotions can't take it, he can buy himself a psychiatrist. **** him.

greenlex
26-11-2016, 03:37 PM
The guy gets 300k a week (not including endorsements and merchandising). If I want to shout abuse at him, I will. If his emotions can't take it, he can buy himself a psychiatrist. **** him.

So you want to shout at him because of what he earns and he can afford a shrink? Very Strange.

Michael
26-11-2016, 04:03 PM

Why would you want to shout abuse at him?:confused:

Callum_62
26-11-2016, 04:04 PM

so a guy thats unemployed can shout abuse at another guy on an average salary?

Pretty Boy
26-11-2016, 04:10 PM
Great footballer who has made a few mistakes as a young man. I match one of those criteria.

No issue with Rooney at all, a naturally gifted footballer who fell victim to the English (British) presses fetish of crucifying their own.

GreenNWhiteArmy
26-11-2016, 04:19 PM
I thought Rooney was having a go at the press for their treatment of him, not average Joe punter?

The english media have been baying for his blood for years. Personally I believe it's because he hasn't lived up to "their expectations" and didn't bring football "hone" at any point.

To crucify a player that is your top scorer at international level and about to break the same record at club level currently held by an absolute legend seems crazy to me.

I'm sure Wayne is entirely comfortable with how his career professionally and financially has panned out and rightly so

Scouse Hibee
26-11-2016, 04:48 PM

He earns the money as a professional footballer not a human target for erses including the press to spout their bile at.

heretoday
26-11-2016, 05:21 PM
It's a great big soap opera! We all play our part.

High-On-Hibs
27-11-2016, 12:17 AM
Why would you want to shout abuse at him?:confused:

The same reason I would shout abuse at any other player that I considered a complete thug. Have you never shouted at a player at a game of football before? If you say no, then you're lying.

Scouse Hibee
27-11-2016, 07:26 AM
The same reason I would shout abuse at any other player that I considered a complete thug. Have you never shouted at a player at a game of football before? If you say no, then you're lying.

You consider Wayne Rooney to be a complete thug?

Dashing Bob S
27-11-2016, 10:35 AM
Didn't intend this to be about the merits of Wayne Rooney as either a player (standard - very gifted player, maybe a little over hyped, now past it at the highest level) or a person (not qualified to say and don't trust tabloid view). More about the football industry's dictates that we supporters have to worship such stars in a certain manner that is deemed acceptable to them.

Andy74
27-11-2016, 10:38 AM
Didn't intend this to be about the merits of Wayne Rooney as either a player (standard - very gifted player, maybe a little over hyped, now past it at the highest level) or a person (not qualified to say and don't trust tabloid view). More about the football industry's dictates that we supporters have to worship such stars in a certain manner that is deemed acceptable to them.

The point doesn't really stand with Rooney though. The media have been on his case most of his career.

bingo70
27-11-2016, 01:01 PM
The point doesn't really stand with Rooney though. The media have been on his case most of his career.

He pumped a prostitute that was a granny Ffs, of course they were on his case.

He's very high profile, he's gained the benefits from that and the downsides are pretty obvious so he shouldn't do such stupid things, or if he does he should accept what's coming.

northstandhibby
27-11-2016, 04:50 PM
He pumped a prostitute that was a granny Ffs, of course they were on his case.

He's very high profile, he's gained the benefits from that and the downsides are pretty obvious so he shouldn't do such stupid things, or if he does he should accept what's coming.

Must have done his confidence the world of good. Think he got a syrup stitched into his head not that long after :greengrin.

Laughing and joking aside he should rise above the bitchy press criticisms. The press can be a thorny issue when they turn on players they once praised.

Turn the other cheek Rooney and rise above it.

ekhibee
27-11-2016, 08:57 PM
I actually think that at press conferences Rooney comes across quite well, and quite approachable too. He was a good footballer too although now his best days are probably behind him. To be fair to him he's just fighting his corner. But I don't think he was overly picked on. When he first came on the scene he was overhyped by the press and in my opinion they were far too quick to compare him to the very best European players of the generation such as Messi and Ronaldo. In my opinion, very good player that he is, he's never been anywhere near the quality of Messi, but plenty of the English press consistently made out that he was. So I don't agree that he's been constantly picked on. Not long after he was married he was regularly sleeping with a prostitute and going out on benders. That was a long time ago now and he seems to have got his act together, but my sympathies for him are somewhat limited. He was really poor at the last European Championships, but he wasn't alone there.