PDA

View Full Version : Another new stadium proposal for Aberdeen

Carheenlea
23-11-2016, 07:49 PM
For as long as I remember Aberdeen have been unveiling plans to relocate to some fancy new stadium, and here we have yet another plan. This one looks to be a good few miles out of the city centre pretty much in the middle of nowhere. They seem to think this is great for fans travelling from all areas, but I have to say, Ive never experienced any problems getting to Pittodrie. When you look at Easter Road now, we can only be thankful we remained in Leith. Imagine the Scottish Cup returning to Straiton....

http://www.afc.co.uk/mobile/news/7867.php

offshorehibby
23-11-2016, 07:55 PM
For as long as I remember Aberdeen have been unveiling plans to relocate to some fancy new stadium, and here we have yet another plan. This one looks to be a good few miles out of the city centre pretty much in the middle of nowhere. They seem to think this is great for fans travelling from all areas, but I have to say, Ive never experienced any problems getting to Pittodrie. When you look at Easter Road now, we can only be thankful we remained in Leith. Imagine the Scottish Cup returning to Straiton....

This is the same one that was proposed earlier this year/tale end of last. Only now it's a bit nearer being accepted.

Bristolhibby
23-11-2016, 08:26 PM
Sounds like it will be awful for fans, unless the public transport can get people from town to the stadium.

Pre match pint will be dreadful.

J

green&left
23-11-2016, 08:42 PM
Sounds like it will be awful for fans, unless the public transport can get people from town to the stadium.

Pre match pint will be dreadful.

J

Just makes you thank god (if he or she exists) that Straiton never happened. This new proposed ground for Aberdeen is 7 miles from the city centre and seems in the arse end of nowhere. No near-by train station to be seen.

Kojock
23-11-2016, 08:43 PM
Just makes you thank god (if he or she exists) that Straiton never happened. This new proposed ground for Aberdeen is 7 miles from the city centre and seems in the arse end of nowhere. No near-by train station to be seen.

And not a pub in sight.

Michael
23-11-2016, 08:48 PM
Dumb question, but why not redevelop their current stadium? No room? I've never been.

Ozyhibby
23-11-2016, 09:11 PM
How much is it costing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

northstandhibby
23-11-2016, 09:32 PM
Looks a cracking stadium in that picture. Wouldn't be long before they started developing near the stadium and a pub would be built sooner or later i'd imagine.

Was up near Straiton earlier today, Lots of new houses being built up that way instead I think.

Carheenlea
23-11-2016, 09:34 PM
How much is it costing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just the £40m

Dashing Bob S
23-11-2016, 09:42 PM
Looks a cracking stadium in that picture. Wouldn't be long before they started developing near the stadium and a pub would be built sooner or later i'd imagine.

Was up near Straiton earlier today, Lots of new houses being built up that way instead I think.

My iphone must look like a great stadium then, because it's pretty much the double of that image.

monktonharp
24-11-2016, 01:12 AM

Was up near Straiton earlier today, Lots of new houses being built up that way instead I think.Aye, our previously planned stadium would have knitted in nicely with Cala holmes and Burger King. apart from the FACT that 4 pubs went doon the tubes up there means nowt:rolleyes:

monktonharp
24-11-2016, 01:21 AM

http://www.afc.co.uk/mobile/news/7867.phplooks pretty exiting eh? in a fermer's field in Aberdeenshire, quite close to a business park that lots of people travel to work by car, and also the added bonus of the close -by industrial park with links to a by-pass. bring it on.

The Spaceman
24-11-2016, 01:31 AM
Exciting times for them, a pretty logical location as the AWPR will make it accessible for all fans north and south of the city...although of course depends on how many car parking spaces there are!! It's a shame they aren't still in Aberdeen, which may impact future generations i.e. less of a local community feel?

Moulin Yarns
24-11-2016, 06:45 AM
And not a pub in sight.

The location, to the west of Aberdeen, is already being developed. There are about 5 or 6 pubs/hotels/restaurants within 30 minutes walk from the site of the stadium. Better location than the earlier proposal at Cove.

California-Hibs
24-11-2016, 06:47 AM
I'm all for seeing newer impressive stadiums in Scotland. Looks cracking. Of course not being bias at all but our completed Easter Road is simply unbeatable! Those aerial shots of it in the cup final DVD?!......Ooooft, a thing of beauty!!

ian cruise
24-11-2016, 08:07 AM
The location, to the west of Aberdeen, is already being developed. There are about 5 or 6 pubs/hotels/restaurants within 30 minutes walk from the site of the stadium. Better location than the earlier proposal at Cove.

Lots of building going on in Aberdeen at the same time as jobs are being lost by the dozen and many businesses are closing down. Unfortunately it's a tough time for the city and I only hope for the sake of the fans and the club that this proposal doesn't increase the cost for those going to games as they may struggle which would be to their clubs detriment.

Keith_M
24-11-2016, 08:16 AM
The picture of the proposed stadium is kinda short on details. Looks like a bag of a fag packet proposal.

Actually, it looks like a fag packet with a hole in it...

Callyballybe
24-11-2016, 09:14 AM
Looks like a defected polo mint!

Apart from that, the layout actually looks fine. Hopefully it works out well for them, as someone else mentioned earlier I'm all for the bigger teams in Scotland having good stadia - Not like our ugly sister down the road.

NAE NOOKIE
24-11-2016, 05:48 PM
From the outside it looks different from the designs being shown on Aberdeen TV this week .... Though any team building a new stadium can only be a good thing I must say if I was an Aberdeen fan I wouldn't be very happy with the location. Somebody says there are boozers within 30 minutes walk ... hell that's the other end of the universe if you ask me.

Thank goodness Hibs decided to stay where we are, the surrounding community is as big a part of a stadium as the stadium itself and the fans traditional watering holes are a big part of that for me too. Not being able to stagger oot the pub less than 15 minutes before kick off would be my worst nightmare :greengrin

Alan62
24-11-2016, 06:01 PM
" Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes believes the new facilities will take the Club to a hitherto unprecedented level."

Curious claim for the manager of a previous European Cup Winner's Cup winning club.

WhileTheChief..
24-11-2016, 06:03 PM
Looks good.

The more teams that can modernise their stadiums the better.

More leg room is always welcome too :)

emerald green
24-11-2016, 06:43 PM
For as long as I remember Aberdeen have been unveiling plans to relocate to some fancy new stadium, and here we have yet another plan. This one looks to be a good few miles out of the city centre pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

If it's pretty much in the middle of nowhere then The Sheep should feel right at home there.

EricM
24-11-2016, 06:46 PM
This new stadium is being built just outside the town I stay in.

There are 3 pubs within a 10 minute walk (key west, pub attached to a holiday inn and shepherds rest) and 1 other which is a 30 minute walk. I've also read that the stadium may have bar facilities too.

Because it will be right next to the new bypass opening next year I think it will be faster to get to for away supporters travelling up from the south and there will be loads of parking.

Bus from the train station takes 25-30 minutes but I've also read that they may put on special busses for away supporters.

All of the Dons fans I've spoken to up here are all for it.

emerald green
24-11-2016, 06:51 PM

There are 3 pubs within a 10 minute walk (key west, pub attached to a holiday inn and shepherds rest) and 1 other which is a 30 minute walk.

Shepherd's Rest. Really? :faf:

jgl07
24-11-2016, 07:05 PM
This one has been rumbling for longer that the new stand at Tynecastle.

Excuse me for being cynical about whether it will ever happen.

GreenCastle
24-11-2016, 07:24 PM

There are 3 pubs within a 10 minute walk (key west, pub attached to a holiday inn and shepherds rest) and 1 other which is a 30 minute walk. I've also read that the stadium may have bar facilities too.

Because it will be right next to the new bypass opening next year I think it will be faster to get to for away supporters travelling up from the south and there will be loads of parking.

Bus from the train station takes 25-30 minutes but I've also read that they may put on special busses for away supporters.

All of the Dons fans I've spoken to up here are all for it.

Like the Tynie new stand - I am all for Scottish teams actually trying to do something to improve the game here for fans.

If ever built..The Aberdeen stadium is going to hold 20,000 - you will need loads of parking for buses and cars to cater for that. Are there any other ways to get to the ground ?!

£40 million for a new stadium and training ground sounds pretty cheap. You would also think that if this is their home for years to come they would make it a little more interesting.

Pete
24-11-2016, 07:33 PM
It just makes me glad that we have a world class stadium a few minutes walk from the centre of one of the most beautiful cities in Europe. Unlike Hearts, we are also within walking distance of the rejuvenated, bustling port of Leith with its fantastic bars and restaurants.

Aberdeen can do what they want but I've yet to hear any group of fans who aren't pining for their old ground once they've moved out to a soulless stadium in the middle of nowhere.

.Sean.
24-11-2016, 07:40 PM
It's miles out of of town, in the middle of a field, a main road for a next door neighbour, full of poncey shiny steel and breezeblocks, not an ounce of character or history attached to the place, no community feel and there'll no be a pub/ chippy/ bookies for miles.

Talk about football becoming stale. The plan is suited for the corporate 'fan', not the supporter like me and you if I was a proper Aberdeen follower I'd be raging as that plan is a pile of pish.

Say what you like but if Hibs ever moved away from Easter Road it would rip the soul out of the club and things would never be the same again.

EricM
24-11-2016, 07:48 PM
Agree with all that except there's pubs, chippy and bookies less than 10 minutes walk away :wink:

beensaidbefore
24-11-2016, 08:02 PM
Dumb question, but why not redevelop their current stadium? No room? I've never been.

It's quite near town. Land is probably worth quite a bit.

jacomo
24-11-2016, 08:11 PM
Lots of building going on in Aberdeen at the same time as jobs are being lost by the dozen and many businesses are closing down. Unfortunately it's a tough time for the city and I only hope for the sake of the fans and the club that this proposal doesn't increase the cost for those going to games as they may struggle which would be to their clubs detriment.

I was thinking the same thing.

Have a feeling they may have missed the boat.

BoomtownHibees
24-11-2016, 09:56 PM
A half hour bus journey from the train station is no much good

blackpoolhibs
24-11-2016, 10:22 PM
A half hour bus journey from the train station is no much good

Thats better than the 45 minute walk the away fans have at Bronby.

BoomtownHibees
24-11-2016, 10:27 PM
Thats better than the 45 minute walk the away fans have at Bronby.

True. Wish they had buses on that night!!!

Although it was an enjoyable walk

Marco G
24-11-2016, 10:27 PM
It just makes me glad that we have a world class stadium a few minutes walk from the centre of one of the most beautiful cities in Europe. Unlike Hearts, we are also within walking distance of the rejuvenated, bustling port of Leith with its fantastic bars and restaurants.

Aberdeen can do what they want but I've yet to hear any group of fans who aren't pining for their old ground once they've moved out to a soulless stadium in the middle of nowhere.
Yep, Aberdeen propose to build a new ground/training centre for 40 million, oops now 50 million after the bean counters have done their new sums, so make that 60 million if it happens. They get 15 million for Pittodrie, so it just wont happen.

Hearts will struggle to fund the new stand while the other three start to fall apart.

So, yes, I think I agree with you about our stadium!!!

Viva_Palmeiras
25-11-2016, 07:38 AM
Yep, Aberdeen propose to build a new ground/training centre for 40 million, oops now 50 million after the bean counters have done their new sums, so make that 60 million if it happens. They get 15 million for Pittodrie, so it just wont happen.

Hearts will struggle to fund the new stand while the other three start to fall apart.

So, yes, I think I agree with you about our stadium!!!

It's amazing what gets planning permission in financially straightened times. Much like the once(?) persona-non-grata Murray and the Garden project, Milne will look to get things done in a similar fashion - remember Murray was set to facilitate a move from Tynie? A Trojan sheep so Milne can build on a green field site. The dosh generated from the surrounding development will be the key to whether it's viable.

green&left
25-11-2016, 09:19 AM
It's miles out of of town, in the middle of a field, a main road for a next door neighbour, full of poncey shiny steel and breezeblocks, not an ounce of character or history attached to the place, no community feel and there'll no be a pub/ chippy/ bookies for miles.

Talk about football becoming stale. The plan is suited for the corporate 'fan', not the supporter like me and you if I was a proper Aberdeen follower I'd be raging as that plan is a pile of pish.

Say what you like but if Hibs ever moved away from Easter Road it would rip the soul out of the club and things would never be the same again.

This.

These out of town stadiums work great for the German's and Scandinavians who have decent infrastructure in place with dedicated train stations and sensible laws and policing. Aberdeen sent some delegates across to Germany to see how the fanzones work there then admitted ones like that can't be brought across here due to the laws of not being allowed an open alcoholic container in public then the law of not being allowed an open alcoholic container within X amount of meters of a football stadium.

All for teams modernising their stadiums, can only benefit the game up here, and shows the huns up for being useless *******s after having to get the begging bowl out yet again to stop their hell hole from crumbling to bits, but would prefer a unique stadium in the town as opposed to a generic lump in the arse end of nowhere.

CB_NO3
25-11-2016, 09:44 AM
You have to remember it was only 5 years ago Aberdeen were getting 6k to 7k for some league games and that was in a stadium that was pretty central. Aberdeen have had a bit success over the last few years, mainly due to the fall of Sevco, Hertz and ourselves.

Who wants to park their car on the side of the city bypass and stroll to a game on a cold November night? Not my idea of football fun.

Carheenlea
25-11-2016, 10:11 AM
This.

These out of town stadiums work great for the German's and Scandinavians who have decent infrastructure in place with dedicated train stations and sensible laws and policing. Aberdeen sent some delegates across to Germany to see how the fanzones work there then admitted ones like that can't be brought across here due to the laws of not being allowed an open alcoholic container in public then the law of not being allowed an open alcoholic container within X amount of meters of a football stadium.

All for teams modernising their stadiums, can only benefit the game up here, and shows the huns up for being useless *******s after having to get the begging bowl out yet again to stop their hell hole from crumbling to bits, but would prefer a unique stadium in the town as opposed to a generic lump in the arse end of nowhere.

We had a weekend in Cologne a couple of years back and went to see the football. A modern stadium a few miles out with city centre, but the match ticket entitled you to free public transport on the tram which went as far as the new stadium. Outside the stadium there were fan zones with bars, food, entertainment and activities for kids, while inside there were club shops selling merchandise and souvenirs, plus more bars and food. The out of town stadium works if done in this manner, but there has to be more than four breeze block sheds with a toilet and pie stall.

jgl07
25-11-2016, 11:10 AM
It's quite near town. Land is probably worth quite a bit.

Apart from the collapsing Aberdeen economy due to the oil boom years ending.

NAE NOOKIE
25-11-2016, 05:17 PM
We had a weekend in Cologne a couple of years back and went to see the football. A modern stadium a few miles out with city centre, but the match ticket entitled you to free public transport on the tram which went as far as the new stadium. Outside the stadium there were fan zones with bars, food, entertainment and activities for kids, while inside there were club shops selling merchandise and souvenirs, plus more bars and food. The out of town stadium works if done in this manner, but there has to be more than four breeze block sheds with a toilet and pie stall.

That's the thing though, we live in a country that is far from an ideal place for the concept of out of town stadiums. If there is an upside to building a stadium miles from civilisation its that you have the conditions to create a captive audience you can make money from. Fans would buy into a fan zone where you can have a beer and maybe even a BBQ outside the stadium rather than go to a pub which is 30 minutes from the ground, or a lot further if you are talking about the traditional Aberdeen fans watering holes I would imagine.

Because of the restrictions on the conspicuous consumption of alcohol outdoors and the Scottish weather I doubt a fan zone would work that well ...... mind you, if I were Aberdeen I would be looking to build a supporters bar that would dwarf behind the goals at ER, it would surely be an attractive prospect for most Dons fans who like a pint and the pub atmosphere pre match.

beensaidbefore
25-11-2016, 06:10 PM
Apart from the collapsing Aberdeen economy due to the oil boom years ending.

Taking that into account, land in the city centre will still be worth more than land on the outskirts of town. Student flats and a big supermarket I suspect will fill the void.

Marco G
25-11-2016, 10:05 PM
Taking that into account, land in the city centre will still be worth more than land on the outskirts of town. Student flats and a big supermarket I suspect will fill the void.
True, but they are getting 15 mill for the city centre land and they project having to pay 50 mill for the new build stadium!

Keith_M
26-11-2016, 08:05 AM
At the games I've been to in Germany, I've seen a different culture that makes any comparison difficult.

When I attended my first ever game in Dresden, we went in to a nearby pub pre-match, which had literally zero Dresden Fans in it. We them wandered across to the ground 15 minutes before the match started and I (wrongly) presumed they didn't have much of a support, because there were very few fans in the streets and hardly any queues to speak of at the turnstyles.

In actual fact, they had a healthy attendance of around 15k and the vast majority of them had been in the ground for ages, enjoying the pre-match atmosphere at the stalls selling beer and bratwurst and the ones inside were already having a sing song.

They could just as easily have had an out of town stadium, with no pubs in the vicinity, and done exactly the same thing. In actual fact, many other clubs do.