PDA

View Full Version : Bus Travel

et vireta
23-11-2016, 03:02 PM
The bus pass concession card that is issued through the Scottish government and dealt at local level by the council allows you to travel anywhere in Scotland by bus for free.

I was thinking of travelling to Tannadice next Friday. Would I be right to assume I can go on a supporters bus and go for free ?

This will be such a saving for older Hibbys who have followed the team throughout the years.

Cheers !

Oscar T Grouch
23-11-2016, 03:04 PM
The bus pass concession card that is issued through the Scottish government and dealt at local level by the council allows you to travel anywhere in Scotland by bus for free.

I was thinking of travelling to Tannadice next Friday. Would I be right to assume I can go on a supporters bus and go for free ?

This will be such a saving for older Hibbys who have followed the team throughout the years.

Cheers !
Bus pass it for public services only. Football buses are private hires.

CropleyWasGod
23-11-2016, 03:06 PM

Cheers !

Nice try :greengrin

lyonhibs
23-11-2016, 03:08 PM

Cheers !

:faf::faf:

Unless the Scottish Government has started subsidising each and every supporters bus - hired from private companies remember - that runs across the land, I think it's probably fair to assume that no, you can't rock up and dander on any supporters bus of your choosing for nix.

lucky
23-11-2016, 03:08 PM
He's at it. I suspect there will be more nonsense like this until he's outed.

ancient hibee
23-11-2016, 03:23 PM

Cheers !

Could you not offer to drive the bus. That's if you get home from school in time.

Kojock
23-11-2016, 05:41 PM

Cheers !

Yes you can travel for free. One old guy I know gets the team bus to pick him at the FRB and shows his bus pass. Hanlon is such a gentleman he is always the first to give his seat up to him.

Brooster
23-11-2016, 06:15 PM
Not such a bad idea. I advocate free bus travel for everyone to all away games.....starting with Morton away in mid december.

Mibbes Aye
23-11-2016, 06:26 PM
Yes you can travel for free. One old guy I know gets the team bus to pick him at the FRB and shows his bus pass. Hanlon is such a gentleman he is always the first to give his seat up to him.

That's only because Stevenson usually sits a lot further back, so it's easier for Hanlon.

It frustrates the hell out of Lewis and he tends to give his match fee to Help the Aged out of guilt, but he still rarely sleeps those evenings.

Since1875Hibs
23-11-2016, 06:34 PM

Cheers !

Aye, no bother. We'll fork the £500+ out and you just hop on.

Albanian Hibs
23-11-2016, 06:41 PM

Cheers !

😂😂😂 is this a joke?

Scouse Hibee
23-11-2016, 07:14 PM

Cheers !

Of course no problem, just turn up and show your pass to the bus convenor who claims the money back from the bus hire company. Happens all the time, the last bus I was on only two of us actually had to pay.

et vireta
24-11-2016, 07:13 AM
Of course no problem, just turn up and show your pass to the bus convenor who claims the money back from the bus hire company. Happens all the time, the last bus I was on only two of us actually had to pay.

for the avoidance of doubt.....

I may not have been clear enough in my first post and have had a few pelters for it

Here was my line of thinking.

I know for a fact that certain bus companies ie Lothian buses just check your pass and on you go. Others make you purchase a ticket and then claim it back ?
I never intended to turn up and hop on a supporters bus for free. My thoughts were pay the conveynor and if poss) be issued with some form of receipt to claim the money back (Gov or council ?)

I read somewhere someone asking for the fans to turn up in large numbers at Tannadice...just thought this might be a chance to get extra fans there.

Final thoughts on it...

On any given day hundreds or thousands of people in Scotland travel for free, some in pursuit of hobbies or interests, then why not football fans ?
Realistically how many of the fans are going to be over 60 ?. I know the authorities might say travel on their buses but that is not always possible.

Anyhow just my thoughts and no intention to cause any bother.

northstandhibby
24-11-2016, 07:57 AM

I may not have been clear enough in my first post and have had a few pelters for it

I know for a fact that certain bus companies ie Lothian buses just check your pass and on you go. Others make you purchase a ticket and then claim it back ?
I never intended to turn up and hop on a supporters bus for free. My thoughts were pay the conveynor and if poss) be issued with some form of receipt to claim the money back (Gov or council ?)

I read somewhere someone asking for the fans to turn up in large numbers at Tannadice...just thought this might be a chance to get extra fans there.

Final thoughts on it...

On any given day hundreds or thousands of people in Scotland travel for free, some in pursuit of hobbies or interests, then why not football fans ?
Realistically how many of the fans are going to be over 60 ?. I know the authorities might say travel on their buses but that is not always possible.

Suppose you could always phone Lothian Buses mate see if they will lay on a bus for you to the game and back with your bus pass.

555 6363.

Oscar T Grouch
24-11-2016, 08:10 AM

Final thoughts on it...

Your bus pass entitles you to free bus journeys throughout Scotland on public bus services. Football buses are not public services. These are buses hired by conveyors who then charge their passengers to travel on the bus they hired. There is nothing stopping you from getting a public service up to Dundee and back again. I think there's a service up there from St Andrews bus station every half hour or hour (can't mind cause it so long since I've been up on bus)

oconnors_strip
24-11-2016, 08:11 AM

Final thoughts on it...

Get a public sector bus to Dundee with citylink then a local first company bus to the ground and then same journey in return, no cost at all for you then :wink:

Moulin Yarns
24-11-2016, 08:18 AM
Note the 'Public Transport' bit.

http://www.transport.gov.scot/public-transport/concessionary-travel-people-aged-60-or-disability

You could get the Megabus for 50p or bus hop all he way using local buses.

et vireta
24-11-2016, 08:40 AM
Note the 'Public Transport' bit.

http://www.transport.gov.scot/public-transport/concessionary-travel-people-aged-60-or-disability

You could get the Megabus for 50p or bus hop all he way using local buses.

Thanks to yourself and others for the help.
:flag: