PDA

View Full Version : Gunnarsson

Diclonius
23-11-2016, 08:38 AM
Offered a three year deal at the start of the season but turned it down as he needed to be a first team player to get games for Norway.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/scottish-cup-hero-turned-down-three-year-hibs-contract-1-4296501

Pretty Boy
23-11-2016, 08:53 AM
Can't really blame him.

He played a big part in the Tynecastle comeback and although it was a bit heart in mouth, to put it mildly, his interception/tackle that just dropped over our own bar was crucial.

Hibee Mac
23-11-2016, 10:05 AM
I always wondered why we didn't hear more about him coming back.

It's a shame because I thought he was a great player, offered us a lot going forward and was solid at the back.

dp00
23-11-2016, 10:12 AM
Decent player, spoke to his dad before the final who was loving his day out.

Good to see a player looking at the bigger picture tho rather than just take comfort of a 3 year deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ian cruise
23-11-2016, 10:16 AM
His reasons for not coming back are perfectly sound and understandable, he wasn't going to get in ahead of cup winning and goal scoring hero and captain David Gray and he has his own career to think of, plus it's far away from family and friends (I never count wanting to be near family as lack of ambition as you never know what will happen in life).

Glad he came out and talked about it as it stops any other stories floating about or people questioning the clubs commitment or his ambitions.

Massive contributions to the end of last season means he deserves his place in Hibs history books and it would be good if he came over for a game or two some time.

Highland_Hibee
23-11-2016, 11:06 AM
Always baffled me how a player like him could be considered "back up" for us in the Championship. Also don't think his talents could be fully utilised at right back. Think he would make a cracking sitting midfielder. All the best Gunni!

northstandhibby
23-11-2016, 11:08 AM
He is now part of Hibernian Legend.

Thanks Gunny, hope you go on to have a good career.

:not worth

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-11-2016, 11:19 AM
Always baffled me how a player like him could be considered "back up" for us in the Championship. Also don't think his talents could be fully utilised at right back. Think he would make a cracking sitting midfielder. All the best Gunni!

I thought/think he is much better than that too, good luck big man!

.Sean.
23-11-2016, 11:43 AM
I thought he was quality and had he been given a proper run of starts in his proper position he would have proven himself to be our best centre half. Really disappointed we didnt sign him.

Future17
23-11-2016, 01:11 PM

He's been playing as one of the central pairing in a back four this season. The Swedish season is over now so maybe we could get him on loan again...

Spike Mandela
23-11-2016, 01:13 PM
A couple of great interventions in the last 10 mins of cup final especially the perfectly timed ( it had to be) challenge on Dean Shiells in the box.

Craig_in_Prague
23-11-2016, 01:16 PM
A couple of great interventions in the last 10 mins of cup final especially the perfectly timed ( it had to be) challenge on Dean Shiells in the box.

Never asked to date; why did he come on for Hanlon? Was Hanlon injured or just knackered?
BTW - agree, he came on and done superb, though not a surprise - he was generally a very solid, reliable player.

ano hibby
23-11-2016, 01:22 PM
Never asked to date; why did he come on for Hanlon? Was Hanlon injured or just knackered?
BTW - agree, he came on and done superb, though not a surprise - he was generally a very solid, reliable player.

Think Paul was injured..his thigh I think it was that troubled him for a while

mjhibby
23-11-2016, 01:28 PM

I think he was a perfect wing back and could well have forced his way into the team especially given the injuries we've had. Sir David has had a few injuries in his time and I think Gunni
Would have got more game time than he thought. Along with conrad will forever be associated with that famous day. Seemed a decent bloke.

NikGunnarsson
23-11-2016, 04:01 PM
Fully understand why he didn't sign if he wasn't going to play. He would be have been first choice right back if not for our Scottish Cup winning captain being there. This won't be popular to put Sir David down in any way but Gunnarsson would have overtaken him pretty quickly as he was a class above.
The guy will always have a place in my heart at least, was my son's favourite player and was an incredibly nice guy and talked to him a couple of times after matches. If he does come back over to take in a match ill be the first to get his autograph for the wee man. :agree:

Mick O'Rourke
23-11-2016, 07:51 PM
Niklas (Scottish Cup Winner)Gunnarsson recently gave a couple of interviews to the Edinburgh Evening News about his time at Hibernian and his new venture back home in Sweden with Djurgardens.

We will always remember Niklas for his time (short as it was) with our club and his contribution to our cup run.
I did note that the club he is now with had a part in Hibernian's European history.

So...
I penned the following on a EEN thread earlier today

If you know your history !!

On this day, 23rd November 1955, Hibernian played Djurgardens in the European Cup quarter final 1st leg.

Djurgardens played Hibernian in the 2 leg quarter final of the Inaugural European Cup in 1955.

Djurgardens played their "home" tie at Firhill, home of Partick Thistle, due to the "winter shutdown" in Sweden.
Hibernian won both ties (5-1 agg.) in front of 50.000 fans

Good Luck to you, Niklas

GGTTH

NadeAteMyLunch!
23-11-2016, 08:15 PM
The only non British/Irish player in the cup final squad. Hope the big man makes it back over for all the future reunions that will take place

Mick O'Rourke
23-11-2016, 08:25 PM
Sorry
i did not see this thread before starting another about Niklas and his current club
Indeed, even in his short time at our club, he will be remembered........
If only for hitting that bar !!
Ouch !!
Welcome back anytime, of course !!

SOL

easty
23-11-2016, 08:45 PM
I wanted us to sign him, he was a very good player.

That said, defensively we've been solid enough without him, so had he stayed he may well have been missing out on playing. Totally understand why he left.

ekhibee
25-11-2016, 09:40 AM
A good player all round who never really got the chance to show his ability with a consistent run of games. Always liked him when he did play and can totally understand his reasoning in the interview.