PDA

View Full Version : Best Scottish Player in last 20 years?

Since90+2
22-11-2016, 09:13 AM
What is everyone's opinion on that? Collins? Lambert? Ferguson?

bingo70
22-11-2016, 09:20 AM
John Collins probably.

Andy Goram a notable mention too but not sure if you're including goalies.

JimBHibees
22-11-2016, 09:23 AM
Would have thought Darren Fletcher must be up there given what he has achieved and also coming back from serious health scare. Cracking professional and should be the role model for young Scottish players of the future. Watched most of the West Brom game last night and thought he was superb.

Bostonhibby
22-11-2016, 09:44 AM
John Collins for me. Best to watch would be Derek Riordan.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

Iain G
22-11-2016, 10:10 AM
What is everyone's opinion on that? Collins? Lambert? Ferguson?

John Collins for me :agree:

James McFadden for honorable mention?

As a side note, doing some quick research, how did Stevie Crawford manage to get 25 caps for Scotland? :confused:

Brightside
22-11-2016, 10:33 AM
Collins by a country mile.

Hiber-nation
22-11-2016, 10:34 AM
John Collins for me :agree:

James McFadden for honorable mention?

As a side note, doing some quick research, how did Stevie Crawford manage to get 25 caps for Scotland? :confused:

Couldn't quite believe that either, mostly in 2002-04 I see. He was banging in the goals for Dunfermline when they were living way above their means of course. A lot of these must have been sub appearances.

Bill Milne
22-11-2016, 10:42 AM
Paul Lambert, assuming he comes into the time range.

heretoday
22-11-2016, 10:47 AM
Paul McStay.

Since90+2
22-11-2016, 11:44 AM
Paul McStay.

Jusy before my time but understand he was a good player who stayed too loyal to Celtic.

Although all above good players mentioned it really does show the lack of quality we have had in the last 2 decades. If you went back to 70s and 80s we would be talking about genuine world class players.

Geo_1875
22-11-2016, 11:48 AM
Chic Charnley

GreenLake
22-11-2016, 11:48 AM
John Collins.

Pretty Boy
22-11-2016, 11:54 AM
Collins, Lambert and Fletcher all played at the highest level, latter stages of European competition and the top end of decent leagues.

Fletcher played at the very highest level for the longest time in a consistently successful side but is arguably the least technically gifted of the 3. Tough question really but I'd probably plump for Collins.

Lester B
22-11-2016, 12:05 PM
Can't believe no one has made the inevitable comment. I'll do it

David Gray

Obviously

Iain G
22-11-2016, 02:32 PM
Paul McStay.

Celtic's answer to Barry Ferguson...

superfurryhibby
22-11-2016, 02:41 PM
Celtic's answer to Barry Ferguson...

Nah, Mc Stay was a cut above the crab in every sense. He scored more and was a more direct player in general. He should have tried his hand elsewhere, I suspect, like John Collins, Mc Stay's technique would have served him well on the continent.

For me itbwould be in no particular order, Collins, Mc Stay, McAllister, Lambert and Fletcher (D). Goram, despite his fear of crosses, was undoubtedly a top quality keeper and probably merits inclusion in that group.

G B Young
22-11-2016, 02:41 PM
McStay retired in 1997 so he would just qualify. Lambert came out of retirement in 2005 to play for Livingston when he was manager. Collins retired 13 years ago. He's probably the best outfield player, but as somebody else suggested Andy Goram (who retired in 2004) would be the best for me overall. A genuinely world class goalkeeper.

I'd been going to suggest Davie Cooper but I can't believe it's 21 years now since he died.

The fact there are so few to choose from is reflected by the fact Scotland have never qualified for a major tournament in that time.

superfurryhibby
22-11-2016, 02:43 PM
McStay retired in 1997 so he would just qualify. Lambert came out of retirement in 2005 to play for Livingston when he was manager. Collins retired 13 years ago. He's probably the best outfield player, but as somebody else suggested Andy Goram (who retired in 2004) would be the best for me overall. A genuinely world class goalkeeper.

I'd been going to suggest Davie Cooper but I can't believe it's 21 years now since he died.

The fact there are so few to choose from is reflected by the fact Scotland have never qualified for a major tournament in that time.

I believe we qualified for Euro 96 and France 98, both within the past twenty years?

erin go bragh
22-11-2016, 04:10 PM
Steve Archibald but just realised he was more than 20 years ago :( . It's no the years that are flying now , it's the decades 🇳🇬🏆

High-On-Hibs
22-11-2016, 04:14 PM
What is everyone's opinion on that?

Collins? Highly probable
Lambert? Very close contender
Ferguson? :faf:

AgentDaleCooper
22-11-2016, 04:40 PM
barry ferguson, hands down every time, not just for his supreme side-ways passing skills, but for the raw charisma and likeability he has off the field as well :aok:

AgentDaleCooper
22-11-2016, 04:41 PM
barry ferguson, hands down every time, not just for his supreme side-ways passing skills, but for the raw charisma and likeability he has off the field as well :aok:

not.

Iain G
22-11-2016, 04:43 PM
Nah, Mc Stay was a cut above the crab in every sense. He scored more and was a more direct player in general. He should have tried his hand elsewhere, I suspect, like John Collins, Mc Stay's technique would have served him well on the continent.

For me itbwould be in no particular order, Collins, Mc Stay, McAllister, Lambert and Fletcher (D). Goram, despite his fear of crosses, was undoubtedly a top quality keeper and probably merits inclusion in that group.

I hated Gary McAllister, never rated him as a player and he always came across as a bit of an arse. And that penalty....

G B Young
22-11-2016, 05:27 PM
I believe we qualified for Euro 96 and France 98, both within the past twenty years?

Sorry, 18 years...though the 20th anniversary of Euro 96 has already come and gone, while the looming certainty of failure to qualify for the next World Cup will see us cross the 20-year mark. Pitiful.

I guess that you could argue that Kenny Miller was perhaps one of Scotland's most effective players in terms of consistency. Think he averaged a goal ever three or four games which isn't too bad in such impoverished times for the national side.

ekhibee
22-11-2016, 06:24 PM
In a way it pains me to say it, because relatives and friends of mine all knew him/lived near him and thought he was an ****hole, but Goram was undoubtedly a top quality keeper, IMO top of the pile as far as goalkeeping is concerned. I would actually have put Riordan right up there, but he would definitely win the title of wasted talent hands down as well.

beensaidbefore
22-11-2016, 06:39 PM
Sorry, 18 years...though the 20th anniversary of Euro 96 has already come and gone, while the looming certainty of failure to qualify for the next World Cup will see us cross the 20-year mark. Pitiful.

I guess that you could argue that Kenny Miller was perhaps one of Scotland's most effective players in terms of consistency. Think he averaged a goal ever three or four games which isn't too bad in such impoverished times for the national side.
Was just going to post Kenny Miller. Not a popular choice, but when you consider the more recent years there aren't many who have done more for us.

bingo70
22-11-2016, 06:41 PM
I was at a wedding a couple of years back and malky mackay was there. Remember someone started talking to him in the queue for the bar and they asked him who the best player he played with was. Straight away he said it was Tom Boyd, reckoned he was a great player and hugely under rated.

Probably not likely to win any awards for being the best player in that period but maybe a decent contender for best defender.

Scouse Hibee
22-11-2016, 06:47 PM
Probably Collins but if the question was based on which Scottish player has given me the most enjoyment in the last 20 years apart from the obvious David Gray it would have to be Gary Mac for his outstanding spell at Liverpool.

HibbyAndy
22-11-2016, 06:48 PM
Paul McStay.

Away you go !! John Collins was twice the player he was!

Paul Mcstay remains the biggest overrated player in Scottish football to date.

Nameless
22-11-2016, 07:00 PM
I was a defender so I always looked up to the likes of Baresi, Maldini and Cafu when I was growing up. The best Scottish players of the past 20 years, for me, are Richard Gough and Colin Hendry - rock solid no nonsense defenders.

Pretty Boy
22-11-2016, 07:04 PM
Completely forgot about Gary McCallister, he's right up there. Great player.

Also never understand how people don't rate Barry Ferguson. Dislikeable, not the best Scottish player of the last 20 years, a hun and disrespectful to the national team but he was a very good player. One of those players who could dictate the pace of a game and made a lot of 'easy' passes because his reading of a game and positional sense was second to none.

AgentDaleCooper
22-11-2016, 07:29 PM

Also never understand how people don't rate Barry Ferguson. Dislikeable, not the best Scottish player of the last 20 years, a hun and disrespectful to the national team but he was a very good player. One of those players who could dictate the pace of a game and made a lot of 'easy' passes because his reading of a game and positional sense was second to none.

this is totally fair enough, he's obviously a very good player...i just really, really dislike him.

Hiber-nation
22-11-2016, 07:32 PM

Yep, I remember quite a few games at ER against the huns when our lads just couldn't get near him. Same goes for McStay.

Tom Hart RIP
22-11-2016, 07:40 PM
John Collins For me

Cameron1875
22-11-2016, 10:47 PM
Always thought Paul Lambert was very underrated by Scottish fans/media. Never got the respect he deserved as a player.

SunshineOnLeith
22-11-2016, 11:08 PM
Colin Nish.

mca
22-11-2016, 11:14 PM
When Did " Benny Brazil " Retire.. :hmmm: was it 86 or 96 ??

snooky
22-11-2016, 11:15 PM
It could have been Broonie had he not run into the Parkheid cul-de-sac.

Sir David Gray
22-11-2016, 11:19 PM

Second to none in a Scottish sense, I assume?

jacomo
22-11-2016, 11:27 PM
It could have been Broonie had he not run into the Parkheid cul-de-sac.

I think his first cap was Italy away, and he was awesome.

Then Strachan turned him into a more defensive midfielder.

HoboHarry
23-11-2016, 05:33 AM
Colin Nish.
****** off. Klaus Dietrich was miles better.......

:wink:

pacorosssco
23-11-2016, 06:15 AM
Always thought Paul Lambert was very underrated by Scottish fans/media. Never got the respect he deserved as a player.

Agreed he won a european cup which puts him above collins. Id have Flethcher, Lambert and Mcallister all ahead of JC as played higher level won way more medals.Gary Mcallister was a fine footballer often over looked.

neil7908
23-11-2016, 07:04 AM
Agreed he won a european cup which puts him above collins. Id have Flethcher, Lambert and Mcallister all ahead of JC as played higher level won way more medals.Gary Mcallister was a fine footballer often over looked.

I think that's spot on. I only really saw Collins at the end of his career but the fact that Fergie kept Fletcher around for so long, and the sheer amount of medals won means he must have a good shout.

JimBHibees
23-11-2016, 07:31 AM
Yep, I remember quite a few games at ER against the huns when our lads just couldn't get near him. Same goes for McStay.

Agree really good player can also remember a few games where the ref ensured no one could get near him.