PDA

View Full Version : Where do we draw our support from?

hibs0666
21-11-2016, 11:57 AM
Is our support concentrated in certain areas? If you're not sure of your cooncil ward then take a punt anyway...

NAE NOOKIE
21-11-2016, 12:11 PM
Surprised you don't have a separate box for the Borders and have lumped it in with elsewhere in Scotland, both Hibs and the Yams have big supports from the Border towns. Hell, there's even a street in Selkirk named after Bobby Johnstone.

Earlydelivery
21-11-2016, 12:16 PM
No lochend :rolleyes: hibs have huge support their .

Geo_1875
21-11-2016, 12:20 PM
I live in Clermiston but hadn't heard of the place when I started supporting Hibs.

hibs0666
21-11-2016, 12:21 PM
No lochend :rolleyes: hibs have huge support their .

Lochend is (I think) part of the Leith council ward mate.

hibs0666
21-11-2016, 12:22 PM
Surprised you don't have a separate box for the Borders and have lumped it in with elsewhere in Scotland, both Hibs and the Yams have big supports from the Border towns. Hell, there's even a street in Selkirk named after Bobby Johnstone.

I couldn't add any more options I'm afraid.

Earlydelivery
21-11-2016, 12:24 PM
Lochend is (I think) part of the Leith council ward mate.
Fair enough m8 ,I'll stick my vote in leith then .

hibs0666
21-11-2016, 12:26 PM
Fair enough m8 ,I'll stick my vote in leith then .

If you want to know the correct answer then you can whack your postcode into this page...

Council ward finder (http://www.lgbc-scotland.gov.uk/databaselgbc/lgbcs_mapfinder.asp)

Pretty Boy
21-11-2016, 12:33 PM
Leith Walk now. Was Colinton/Fairmilehead when I was a bairn.

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-11-2016, 12:38 PM
Fountainbride/Craiglockhart now, Leith Walk originally.

Tamhere1875
21-11-2016, 12:41 PM
No Granton Pilton or Muirhouse ?

NAE NOOKIE
21-11-2016, 12:50 PM
It might have been better to divvie up the areas into east, west, north and south Edinburgh rather than wards. I would imagine the vast majority of the Hibs support comes from the east and north of the city.

Ardenttwo
21-11-2016, 01:22 PM
It might have been better to divvie up the areas into east, west, north and south Edinburgh rather than wards. I would imagine the vast majority of the Hibs support comes from the east and north of the city.

Why no NE Scotland. Good support from this area

Turkish Green
21-11-2016, 01:55 PM
Originally I was brought up in Stockbridge (Inverleith) before moving abroad. I recall being in the 33rd Inverleith cubs/scouts where we had to wear a maroon kerchief but at least the tunic was green.

Peevemor
21-11-2016, 02:13 PM
Brought up in Kingsknowe (Longstone Primary School then Firrhill) and stayed there until buying a flat in Albert Street (in between the Nip & the Clan) then moved abroad 12 years ago.

Moulin Yarns
21-11-2016, 02:27 PM
Originally I was brought up in Stockbridge (Inverleith) before moving abroad. I recall being in the 33rd Inverleith cubs/scouts where we had to wear a maroon kerchief but at least the tunic was green.

was that at Stockbridge Primary?

hibs0666
21-11-2016, 03:08 PM
No Granton Pilton or Muirhouse ?

Those areas are in the Forth ward if that helps.

SRHibs
21-11-2016, 03:12 PM
East Craigs is where I grew to support Hibs, but now I travel from Newcastle.

Bostonhibby
21-11-2016, 03:13 PM
Born in Leith, lived in Magdalene / meadowbank, now in Engerlund, always a Hibby.

hibs0666
21-11-2016, 03:16 PM
Why no NE Scotland. Good support from this area

Cos I couldn't add any more options to the poll.

Diclonius
21-11-2016, 03:19 PM
Born in Longstone, raised in Carnoustie. My support of Hibs was decided totally at random when I was in high school (over Hearts).

hibs0666
21-11-2016, 04:33 PM
After 125 votes, the top Hibby hotspots (i.e. proportion of good guys in green divided by the local population proportion) are:

Leith
Corstorphine/Murrayfield
Pentland Hills
Colinton/Fairmilehead
Liberton/Gimerton

So far, the areas that are least Hibs are:

Almond
Forth
Leith Walk(!)
Sighthill/Gorgie
Inverleith

O'Rourke3
21-11-2016, 04:35 PM
Portobello
Pilrig
Dalry/Slateford
West Lothian

Greentinted
21-11-2016, 04:38 PM
Resident the now in the darkest corner of the lawless EH11 enclave but hail fi Leith/Southside.

Keith_M
21-11-2016, 05:43 PM
Delighted but not surprised to see East Lothian so well represented.

Technically, the first few years of my life I lived in Midlothian but have considered myself an East Lothian boy since they changed the boundaries in 1975.

Wally Toi, Ya Bas!

Keith_M
21-11-2016, 05:46 PM
After 125 votes, the top Hibby hotspots (i.e. proportion of good guys in green divided by the local population proportion) are:

Leith
Corstorphine/Murrayfield
Pentland Hills
Colinton/Fairmilehead
Liberton/Gimerton...

I think you need to look again.

If you ignore 'other parts of Scotland', the second highest is East Lothian.

:greengrin

Jamesconnolly
21-11-2016, 06:17 PM
Should be a box for the Scottish Borders guys big Hibs support in gala hawick,earlston selkirk ,Melrose etc etc

Renfrew_Hibby
21-11-2016, 06:32 PM
Born Irvine
Grew up in Ayr
Now reside in Renfrew
Hibby since about 8 or 9, now 38

Eyrie
21-11-2016, 07:55 PM
Grew up in Trinity which is why I'm a Hibs fan. Voted for where I am now though.

Forza Fred
21-11-2016, 08:28 PM
Born in Eastern General inEH6, grew up mostly in Craigentinny Eh7, and resident of sunny Sydney since 1974.

I reckon the 'deportation to the colonies' judgments must be in effect still, as there appear to be more and more Hibbies at any one time appearing for refreshment sessions!

Even a fair proportion in Enzed, with many of the had the bejesus scared out of them by the recent earthquake!

Never experienced THAT in the Hibsclub!

hibs0666
21-11-2016, 09:00 PM
After 196 votes, the top Hibby hotspots (i.e. number of good guys in green divided by the population size in a given area) are:

Leith
Corstorphine/Murrayfield
Liberton/Gilmerton
Southside/Newington
Colinton/Fairmilehead

So, only one area of north & east Edinburgh pops up in the top 5.

Forth
Almond
Leith Walk
Fountainbridge/Craiglockhart
West Lothian

Ah mean Leith Walk FFS!

wandering_hibee
21-11-2016, 09:10 PM
I was born and brought up in Portobello but now live in NE Scotland. I think what is more important is not where we all live now but were we lived when we first started supporting Hibs because for me once it got into my blood it refuses to leave Once a Hibby always a Hibby.

Hibernian Verse
21-11-2016, 09:37 PM
After 196 votes, the top Hibby hotspots (i.e. number of good guys in green divided by the population size in a given area) are:

Leith
Corstorphine/Murrayfield
Liberton/Gilmerton
Southside/Newington
Colinton/Fairmilehead

Forth
Almond
Leith Walk
West Lothian

Ah mean Leith Walk FFS!

Didn't see that one coming :na na:

essexhibee
21-11-2016, 09:38 PM
No essex option ffs?!

hibs0666
21-11-2016, 10:08 PM
Didn't see that one coming :na na:

However, see if you combine Leith and Leith Walk, you get the same answer as Colinton/Fairmilehead. The southern burbs just love the Hibees. :wink:

Super_JMcGinn
21-11-2016, 10:16 PM
The result of this poll will tell us the square root of nothing , way too many choices. It will be as reflective of the Hibs support as much as The Dandy is to life in Dundee.

I voted West Lothian which probably has less Hibs supporters than West Pilton alone yet is running second in this poll.

hibs0666
21-11-2016, 10:25 PM
The result of this poll will tell us the square root of nothing , way too many choices. It will be as reflective of the Hibs support as much as The Dandy is to life in Dundee.

I voted West Lothian which probably has less Hibs supporters than West Pilton alone yet is running second in this poll.

Easy tiger, it's just a wee bit fun. However, the poll does indeed say that, given the size of the population, West Lothian is indeed one of the 3 areas with the smallest Hibs support. :wink:

HTD1875
21-11-2016, 10:34 PM
Not surprised by East Lothian being so high I went to school in Musselburgh and it was full of hibs and then a few old firm most of which have never been to Glasgow in their puff. Even within East Lothian there is quite an interesting mix as places like MacMerry and Tranent are full of Huns.

hibs0666
21-11-2016, 10:49 PM
Not surprised by East Lothian being so high I went to school in Musselburgh and it was full of hibs and then a few old firm most of which have never been to Glasgow in their puff. Even within East Lothian there is quite an interesting mix as places like MacMerry and Tranent are full of Huns.

If the poll is to be believed, East Lothian is pretty bang average given the size of the population there. However, when compared to Midlothian and West Lothian, it is the proverbial hotbed. :wink:

houstonhibbee
22-11-2016, 01:22 AM
I think an interesting poll would be what was your location when you became a Hibs supporter. A lot of fans will have moved location since then. I was in South Edinburgh but my uncle took me to my first game who was brought up in Leith Walk and I now live in Houston

Viva_Palmeiras
22-11-2016, 03:44 AM

Was that in the Church on Henderson (delivers) Row?
Should have gone to the 64th Waverley in Stockbridge Primary - green with green ;) .

Since90+2
22-11-2016, 03:46 AM

Leith
Corstorphine/Murrayfield
Liberton/Gilmerton
Southside/Newington
Colinton/Fairmilehead

Forth
Almond
Leith Walk
West Lothian

Ah mean Leith Walk FFS!

You have missed out the north Edinburgh areas of Boswall, Granton , Royston , Pilton , Muirhouse and Drylaw. Outside Leith they are probably the biggest Hibs areas in Scotland.

Viva_Palmeiras
22-11-2016, 03:46 AM
I think an interesting poll would be what was your location when you became a Hibs supporter. A lot of fans will have moved location since then. I was in South Edinburgh but my uncle took me to my first game who was brought up in Leith Walk and I now live in Houston

Starting to sound like a job for survey monkey (other free and premium apps are available ;)

hibs0666
22-11-2016, 05:32 AM
You have missed out the north Edinburgh areas of Boswall, Granton , Royston , Pilton , Muirhouse and Drylaw. Outside Leith they are probably the biggest Hibs areas in Scotland.

Those areas are part of the Forth council ward.

Since90+2
22-11-2016, 06:23 AM
Those areas are part of the Forth council ward.

I grew up in those areas and have never in my life heard someone refer to them living in Forth council ward (not saying it's wrong just people won't know). The fact nobody has voted for that area, in arguably the the biggest Hibs area in Edinburgh , would suggest others are the same.

As mentioned a poll simply saying North , East , West or South Edinburgh would give a far better indication of the breakdown.

hibs0666
22-11-2016, 06:25 AM
I grew up in those areas and have never in my life heard someone refer to the living in Forth council ward (not saying it's wrong just people won't know). The fact nobody has voted for that area, in arguably the the biggest Hibs area in Edinburgh , would suggest others are the same.

As mentioned a poll simply saying North , East , West or South Edinburgh would give a far better indication of the breakdown.

I'm not sure a simpler poll would have helped. Anyhoe, it's a wee bit fun and I'll just need to go with what I've got.

Golden Bear
22-11-2016, 07:51 AM
Should be a box for the Scottish Borders guys big Hibs support in gala hawick,earlston selkirk ,Melrose etc etc

Here here.

There's a very healthy Hibs support in Peebles (and on hibs net)but we've been disenfranchised in this poll. I'm sure my human rights must have been compromised somewhere !

:grr:

CallumLaidlaw
22-11-2016, 10:27 AM
Born while parents lived in Albion Terrace. Now live in Rosyth. There's a fair few Hibs and Hearts fans in the NQ, Rosyth, Inverkeithing, Dunfermline area.

NAE NOOKIE
22-11-2016, 11:30 AM
Here here.

There's a very healthy Hibs support in Peebles (and on hibs net)but we've been disenfranchised in this poll. I'm sure my human rights must have been compromised somewhere !

:grr:

Yer right .... on the day of the parade the train I got from Gala was rammed with Hibbies and that was just one train out of 3 or 4 folk would have caught that day and that was just Borders Hibbies with access to the train, there would have been many more who went up by car.

northstandhibby
22-11-2016, 11:42 AM
Yer right .... on the day of the parade the train I got from Gala was rammed with Hibbies and that was just one train out of 3 or 4 folk would have caught that day and that was just Borders Hibbies with access to the train, there would have been many more who went up by car.

If I remember rightly wasn't there a consortium from the Borders who were attempting to save us before STF stepped in?

Golden Bear
22-11-2016, 11:50 AM
If I remember rightly wasn't there a consortium from the Borders who were attempting to save us before STF stepped in?

Yip, and from what I've found out since, we had a very lucky escape.

No further comment!

northstandhibby
22-11-2016, 11:53 AM
Yip, and from what I've found out since, we had a very lucky escape.

No further comment!

Very intriguing and mysterious Golden Bear.

Maybe one day you will be able to enlighten us. I just remember reading or being told of a Borders led consortium without any more information other than that.

MartinfaePorty
22-11-2016, 12:26 PM
That's my vote tipped West Lothian into the lead, but I'm only there temporarily and have lived 44 of my 45 years in Edinburgh (Meadowbank, Mountcastle, Portobello, South Gyle).

Seveno
22-11-2016, 12:34 PM
I know a few Hibbies that clearly come from another planet. Why no option?

surreyhibbie
22-11-2016, 01:01 PM
Musselburgh, which, when I lived there, was in Midlothian. apparentlythey have moved it to East Lothian now... must have been a big job...

anyway, thats where I started. live a bit further away now of course.

Dashing Bob S
22-11-2016, 02:34 PM
My little corner of Merchiston is a Hibernian stronghold in a sea of BMW ulcer-suffering repressed-closet queen maroon and pink.

cabbageandribs1875
22-11-2016, 02:40 PM
there's a fair smattering of hibbys in bathgate and some through in the dale

lyonhibs
22-11-2016, 03:01 PM
As where I live currently isn't included in the list by name (:furious:) I've gone with where my family home is which, hilariously, is counted in "Duddingston + Craigentinny" as far as council wards go despite being not really near either.

hibs0666
22-11-2016, 03:15 PM
After 314 votes, the areas with the highest concentration of Hibbys are:

Leith
Corstorphine/Murrayfield
Drum Brae/Gyle
Craigentinny/Duddingston
Porty/Craigmillar

Honourable mentions got to the southern burbs of Southside/Newington, Liberton/Gilmerton and Pentland Hills (i.e. Juniper Green, Ratho, Balerno etc.)

Some serious missionary work is needed in:

Almond (Crammond, Kirkliston & South Queensferry)
Forth (Pilton etc.)
Inverleith (Stockbridge etc.)
Meadows/Morningside (f!"£$%g students)
Leith Walk(!)

I've rolled the numbers from the council wards up into north, south east and west areas of the city. Our support is concentrated mainly in the east and west of the city. The proportion of our support found in the north and south of the city is pretty much in line with the population in those areas. It's the same story with East Lothian and Midlothian.

West Lothian, however, ****** hates us and has only half the density of support than you might expect given the size of its population.

cabbageandribs1875
22-11-2016, 03:29 PM
After 314 votes, the areas with the highest concentration of Hibbys are:

West Lothian, however, ****** hates us and has only half the density of support than you might expect given the size of its population.

and yet West Lothian has most votes :rolleyes: how bizarre

hibs0666
22-11-2016, 03:38 PM
and yet West Lothian has most votes :rolleyes: how bizarre

Not bizarre in the sightest.

West Lothian's population is 160,000 and so you would expect it to have a big support located there. However, the number would have to be twice as big just to be an 'average' area, and 6 times as big before it became a Leith-like hot-spot.

cabbageandribs1875
22-11-2016, 03:49 PM
Not bizarre in the sightest.

West Lothian's population is 160,000 and so you would expect it to have a big support located there. However, the number would have to be twice as big just to be an 'average' area, and 6 times as big before it became a Leith-like hot-spot.

that was 2004, it's actually just over 180,000 now :) and anyway, west lothian has to contend with the likes of the bigot brothers, the wee bigots, motherwell,falkirk,airdrie, stenhousemuir and east stirling :) west lothian therefore would have to be the lowest all things considered, i imagine glasgow 'hates us' more than the people of west lothian do, i've certainly not witnessed any anti-hibs hate crimes committed :)

jgl07
22-11-2016, 04:16 PM
I grew up in those areas and have never in my life heard someone refer to them living in Forth council ward (not saying it's wrong just people won't know). The fact nobody has voted for that area, in arguably the the biggest Hibs area in Edinburgh , would suggest others are the same.
That may be something to do with the fact that the Forth Electoral Division only came into being in 2007.

As for your daft idea of Edinburgh North, South, East and West; can anyone explain what they actually mean. Do I live in Edinburgh South or Edinburgh West? Clearly Barton is Edinburgh West, but where is Daley and where is Fountainbridge?

Keith_M
22-11-2016, 05:56 PM
If the poll is to be believed, East Lothian is pretty bang average given the size of the population there. However, when compared to Midlothian and West Lothian, it is the proverbial hotbed. :wink:

In comparison to Mid and West Lothian, I'd say it really is a big Hibby area.

I attended MGS at a time when Hibs attendances were at their lowest in living memory, yet I'd say there were a lot more Hibbies at the school than fans of any other team.

Scouse Hibee
22-11-2016, 06:50 PM
Grew up in Old Swan Liverppol, lived all of my Hibee life in North Gyle & Corstorphine.

Iceman1875
23-11-2016, 08:00 AM
Hometown of Peebles but now live in Glasgow...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KdyHby
23-11-2016, 08:24 AM
Live in Kirkcaldy

Smartie
23-11-2016, 08:28 AM
Where is the Forth council ward?

hibs0666
23-11-2016, 08:45 AM
Where is the Forth council ward?

The southern boundary of the ward is Ferry Road. The ward runs from Silverknowes in the west to Newhaven in the east taking in Pilton, Granton and Trinity.

See map below...

Mikey09
23-11-2016, 09:21 AM

Selkirk FC's club room is named after Bobby Johnstone...

Smartie
23-11-2016, 09:27 AM
The southern boundary of the ward is Ferry Road. The ward runs from Silverknowes in the west to Newhaven in the east taking in Pilton, Granton and Trinity.

See map below...

Thanks for that.

Quite interesting - I just went back and typed my postcode into the council ward finder. It turns out I am in Leith as I thought, but looking at the map, I'm probably only a few yards away from being part of Forth.

hibs0666
23-11-2016, 09:46 AM
Thanks for that.

Quite interesting - I just went back and typed my postcode into the council ward finder. It turns out I am in Leith as I thought, but looking at the map, I'm probably only a few yards away from being part of Forth.

I must admit I'm really surprised that there haven't been more votes from that area. It could be that no-one recognises an area called Forth, there are few hibs.net users in that area, people from that area have no interest in the poll and/or there is indeed a smaller proportion of Good Guys in Green in that area than we all assumed.

Sprouleflyer
23-11-2016, 11:00 AM
Only 4 from Almond and Forth council wards!

These wards cover Kiskliston, Newbridge, South Queensferry, Braepark, Barnton, Muirhouse, Pilton and Trinity.

Keith_M
23-11-2016, 05:09 PM
Only 4 from Almond and Forth council wards!

These wards cover Kiskliston, Newbridge, South Queensferry, Braepark, Barnton, Muirhouse, Pilton and Trinity.

Jambo land!

:duck:

hibs0666
24-11-2016, 09:42 AM
Sad barsteward that I am, I've been looking at my numbers again to see what overall conclusions I can come to. Big health warning - these conclusions assume that hibs.net active users are representative of the wider Hibs support. Anyhow, here goes...

Of the 20 areas in Edinburgh and Lothians, 9 have a significant concentration of Hibs supporters
Out of a total of around 790,000, the Hibs hotspots account for 215,000 (27%) of the population
The Hibs support is most concentrated in the east and west of the city
At the area level, the Hibs support is most concentrated in Leith (Northern part of the city), Corstorphine/Murrayfield (Western), Drum Brae/Gyle (Western), Craigentinny/Duddington (Eastern) and Porty/Craigmillar (Eastern)
Again, at the area level, the Hibs support is least concentrated in Almond (Western), Forth (Northern), Leith Walk (Northern), Meadows/Morningside (Southern) and Inverleith (Northern)
In the Lothians, the concentration of Hibs supporters in East Lothian and Midlothian is pretty much as you would expect give the size of the population in those areas. West Lothian, by comparison, has about half the concentration of Hibs supporters as those other areas
As many as 25% of Hibs supporters live outwith Edinburgh and the Lothians
There is no evidence of any other areas (e.g. Borders, Fife) being Hibs hotspots

Baldy Foghorn
24-11-2016, 09:53 AM
Plenty Hibees in Sighthill area

Super_JMcGinn
24-11-2016, 10:55 AM
Sad barsteward that I am, I've been looking at my numbers again to see what overall conclusions I can come to. Big health warning - these conclusions assume that hibs.net active users are representative of the wider Hibs support. Anyhow, here goes...

Of the 20 areas in Edinburgh and Lothians, 9 have a significant concentration of Hibs supporters
Out of a total of around 790,000, the Hibs hotspots account for 215,000 (27%) of the population
The Hibs support is most concentrated in the east and west of the city
At the area level, the Hibs support is most concentrated in Leith (Northern part of the city), Corstorphine/Murrayfield (Western), Drum Brae/Gyle (Western), Craigentinny/Duddington (Eastern) and Porty/Craigmillar (Eastern)
Again, at the area level, the Hibs support is least concentrated in Almond (Western), Forth (Northern), Leith Walk (Northern), Meadows/Morningside (Southern) and Inverleith (Northern)
In the Lothians, the concentration of Hibs supporters in East Lothian and Midlothian is pretty much as you would expect give the size of the population in those areas. West Lothian, by comparison, has about half the concentration of Hibs supporters as those other areas
As many as 25% of Hibs supporters live outwith Edinburgh and the Lothians
There is no evidence of any other areas (e.g. Borders, Fife) being Hibs hotspots

This only proves how misleading polls really are. For a bit of fun you haven't half put in some amount of effort, well done you. :aok:

hibs0666
24-11-2016, 09:18 PM
This only proves how misleading polls really are. For a bit of fun you haven't half put in some amount of effort, well done you. :aok:

All part of the service. 😀