PDA

View Full Version : Lennon

matty_f
21-11-2016, 11:38 AM
What are everyone's thoughts on Lennon now that he's had some time to get his feet under the table at Hibs?

I have to say that I'm relatively impressed with how things are going - I think there is evident improvement in our performances week to week, he's not been afraid to make difficult decisions (notably with Jason Cummings) for the benefit of the team, he seems to be managing the squad well, and he is making changes in game to try and get the points.

I thought at one point that we were heading for a Butcher-esque scenario where he critised the players in the press, but he's clearly managed that well as there are no doubts that the players are playing for him. I think that he has improved players as well, and is demanding more from the team.

I felt he was a good choice when we got him, had some doubts round about the time of the Ayr defeat (I thought he was slow to react to Bartley's red card, and that cost us the points) which along with the complaints about the players in public, caused some concerns, however in hindsight given that we have kicked on from then I think he probably handled that well. On balance, he's also quick to praise the players to the press as well, when he feels it's merited.

We're top of the league, it's a shame we went out of the two cup competitions that we were knocked out of in the manner that we did, however the cups were never a priority this season.

If going for a basic 'out of ten' score, I'd go for 8 out of 10 as things stand.

WeeRussell
21-11-2016, 11:48 AM
Bit early for me to give a score, I think. I've not been blown away - the games I've been at (fewer than I'd like) we've been good enough, but not great. I'm not sure he's faced any real big tests (and passed them).. Dundee Utd at home possibly being the biggest, which we got a disappointing draw from in the end.

That said, he has us where we should be in this league and I remain confident we're stronger than anyone in it.

If pushed I'd maybe go 6.5.

Vini1875
21-11-2016, 11:48 AM
Probably 7 out of 10 for me. I agree with most of the OP points. For me he is still too cautious, the QOS game was the first time I felt he really went for it and blew a team away. I think we should be doing this more often. The other two negatives I have is that his signings have been no better than what we already had and his substitutions are often too late in the game. The cup games were a disappointment considering how good we had been in cup games under Stubbs.

However top of the league, 19 to the good in GD, best defence in the UK and we do appear to be a more solid team. I am pleased with Neil Lennon and I have every faith that he will leads us to promotion.

B.H.F.C
21-11-2016, 11:57 AM
Most goals scored, least conceded and top of the league so he's doing something right. On occasion our old failings have reappeared, like our inability to break Falkirk down last week, but we do generally look more likely to grind out results IMO. When we had our slump we actually got a couple of decent enough draws away to Raith and QOTS (who were doing well at the time) playing with 10 men for much of the games.

I still think there is a lot of improvement to be had and that he can get more out of them though.

calumhibee1
21-11-2016, 11:59 AM
6/10 for me. He's done fine, no major disappointments yet however there's already been a few dropped points against teams we shouldn't be dropping points against. I can accept dropping points away sometimes but never at home in this league and we've dropped 7 already and been knocked out 2 cups at home. Overall no real cause for concern, been decent but would have liked to have been out of sight by now, especially after Dundee Utds start to the season. Not arsed at all about the two cups that were out of although would like to progress in the Scottish.

Smartie
21-11-2016, 12:06 PM
I like him.

As mentioned above, not afraid to make a difficult decision and seems to rate form over reputation (especially in regards to the strikers).

The defence looks solid and we're scoring more goals.

I think he was caught on the hop a wee bit in relation to the wide players - we could do with having a bit more strength out wide. But given we'd won all our league games and done well against Brondby prior to the transfer window closing I can understand why he might not have viewed this as a priority.

He's getting the job done and it's been a decent start. 8/10 so far for me.

Oh, and I don't think it is fair to criticise his signings. Shinnie has a lot of assists, Holt has played a major role when he's played, as has Graham. The goalie has done fine when called upon and kept his concentration when quiet during games. And his best signings were getting Hanlon and Cummings to commit, both who have made a major contribution already this season.

My main criticisms would be the high proportion of goals we've lost from corners - sort this and our defensive record will be spectacular - and our cutting edge in the final third, although on Saturday's viewing that has improved drastically as well.

WhileTheChief..
21-11-2016, 12:11 PM
Best thing for me is that he has a settled first team.

We know what the shape is going to be and he can easily swap players without having to alter the system. For too long we had 4 or 5 changes every week and everyone looked kinda clueless.

Now, everyone has a purpose. They all know exactly what their role is and seem to be a lot more composed and confident.

Things have really clicked in the last month or so. The few draws were disappointing but our general play was good and we were never in any danger of losing the games, we just didn't score.

We play with more pace, we constantly press the opposition and are always looking to win the ball back. I thought we were fantastic on Saturday and think we'll see a lot more performances like that from now on.

League Cup was a sore one to take but he was really only in the door at that point.

Overall really pleased with how the season is going and I think it was a tremendous bit of business getting Lennon in. I'm going to enjoy it whilst he's here, I don't see us getting a manager of his calibre again any time soon.

A solid 9/10 for me on the basis that there's always room for improvement :)

Enough said
21-11-2016, 12:16 PM
Check the league table.... very sure it judges itself

hughio
21-11-2016, 12:18 PM

We know what the shape is going to be and he can easily swap players without having to alter the system. For too long we had 4 or 5 changes every week and everyone looked kinda clueless.

Now, everyone has a purpose. They all know exactly what their role is and seem to be a lot more composed and confident.

Things have really clicked in the last month or so. The few draws were disappointing but our general play was good and we were never in any danger of losing the games, we just didn't score.

We play with more pace, we constantly press the opposition and are always looking to win the ball back. I thought we were fantastic on Saturday and think we'll see a lot more performances like that from now on.

League Cup was a sore one to take but he was really only in the door at that point.

Overall really pleased with how the season is going and I think it was a tremendous bit of business getting Lennon in. I'm going to enjoy it whilst he's here, I don't see us getting a manager of his calibre again any time soon.

:agree:

147lothian
21-11-2016, 01:35 PM

I agree, big name manager made the big calls right, team seemed better when Cummings was dropped, his signings Shinnie and Holt are impressive 9 / 10

CallumLaidlaw
21-11-2016, 01:50 PM
Thinking that 10/10 would be walking the league and good cup runs, and working down from there, at the minute I'd say a 6/10. If we can build on recent performances , winning the league comfortably would be a 9. Winning the league by a couple of points would be an 8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stevie Reid
21-11-2016, 01:52 PM
Very, very pleased. Think we are very much heading in the right direction in every area of the park - defence is excellent and our goalkeeper barely sees the ball at all, midfield is dogged and dynamic, and we are created loads of chances and scoring more of them. Since we came through that rocky patch, we have scored 13 goals in our last 5 games. I also detect a toughness about the team at the moment, both mentally and physically - though we keep the physical side within reason too, discipline has been very good (bar Bartley's two ridiculous and wrongly awarded red cards).

At the weekend we won 4-0 going on ten, and were able to bring Cummings, McGeough and Bartley off the bench, with Holt and Forster unused - the strength of the squad is excellent, and will be crucial in the coming weeks (though we are sure to strengthen in January too). Our current points per game ratio stretched out over 36 games would see us finishing with 79 points, two less than Rangers won with last year.

It really feels like Lennon's message and style of play is really being absorbed by the players now (was always going to take time), and both manager and the players have responded well to the bad patch we went through.

SanFranHibs
21-11-2016, 02:55 PM
I was excited by his appointment and I expected him to get this team on a roll that would propel us to the Championship title. It is taking a little longer than I expected but we have to cut him a bit of slack. He is still finding his ideal team/formation as proven by dropping JC.

But he has us top with a small cushion and with regards to signings, I would judge him more on any he makes in the next window as he now knows where we need strengthening and hopefully is tracking potential signings. (Assuming he feels we need to make signings).

I felt at the start of the season that Dundee United would be the main threat and still do but I am confident that he has the ability and the will to win this division. Don't think he will settle for second place.

I think we are good enough and are sure to improve.

:flag:

JimBHibees
21-11-2016, 03:01 PM
Like Neil, comes over well and not afraid to speak his mind. Will only get better I think. He is now apart from a couple of tinkerings playing pretty much the same team and it is working. Obviously McGinn and Fyvie likely to be missing soon will stretch the squad a bit however we are getting stronger and appear to be a bit more streetwise than last season. Look defensively stronger and the new signings are starting to bed in (Shinnie, Marciano, Graham, Holt) also looks like a decent spirit in the squad. Good to see guys like Boyle come in and claim a place which is exactly what you want. Lets see where we are around Xmas new year time however would be surprised if we dont win the league with a bit to spare.

HibbySpurs
21-11-2016, 03:42 PM
Think he's doing really well now.

He was a big name appointment at the time and a brave bit of business by the club as well as being a statement of intent.

Got off to a flyer, had a wee dip but out of that now and performances like Saturday will hopefully be the norm for the remainder of the season.

As others have said I like the squad we have, it looks balanced and looking around the Championship I don't see any other team which will have the ability to change it around as we will when suspensions/injuries pile up and the ability to give players a rest or simply drop them if out of form (ala Cummings, could any other club in the league have realistically done that?).

Again looking at Cummings, would a lesser manager have been able to convince him to extend his stay and then take the tough decision to drop him and then continue to leave arguably the star turn out of the starting XI because those coming in were doing the business?

In the Falkirk game he made a risky play with his subs to get the three points which then resulted in us going a goal down but he was prepared to "double down" on that and got the game back to 1-1 trough Hanlon's goal.

Yeah, I like him, pleased he's our manager and hopefully with the right backing in the window in January we'll be able to put the league to bed by say early April (being realistic) and he can start looking at how he get's us into the top 6 of the Premiership next year (that's a realistic aim for me).

I'll give him 8/10 at present.

Alex Trager
21-11-2016, 04:00 PM
Check the league table.... very sure it judges itself

And your handle explains that that is the case. :)

lucky
21-11-2016, 04:01 PM
We are top of the league and look strong so it's hard to criticise but some of the performances have not been done great. I still think that the media treat him as a exCeltic manager rather than the Hibs manager. He should stop commenting on them and concentrate on us.

Viva_Palmeiras
21-11-2016, 04:15 PM
What are everyone's thoughts on Lennon now that he's had some time to get his feet under the table at Hibs?

I have to say that I'm relatively impressed with how things are going - I think there is evident improvement in our performances week to week, he's not been afraid to make difficult decisions (notably with Jason Cummings) for the benefit of the team, he seems to be managing the squad well, and he is making changes in game to try and get the points.

I thought at one point that we were heading for a Butcher-esque scenario where he critised the players in the press, but he's clearly managed that well as there are no doubts that the players are playing for him. I think that he has improved players as well, and is demanding more from the team.

I felt he was a good choice when we got him, had some doubts round about the time of the Ayr defeat (I thought he was slow to react to Bartley's red card, and that cost us the points) which along with the complaints about the players in public, caused some concerns, however in hindsight given that we have kicked on from then I think he probably handled that well. On balance, he's also quick to praise the players to the press as well, when he feels it's merited.

We're top of the league, it's a shame we went out of the two cup competitions that we were knocked out of in the manner that we did, however the cups were never a priority this season.

If going for a basic 'out of ten' score, I'd go for 8 out of 10 as things stand.

Sometimes a team need to take a stumble before coming round to a different way of thinking - maybe the cups were a wake up call that got folks attention - not saying he intended it that way but seized the moment.

I'd say instilling the winning habit and mentally is not like flipping a switch and needs worked on. Hopefully after the blip were back on track.

He speaks well and comes across as intelligent not the public image he seems to attract/project - shouty, provocative, irate, petulant.

Alex Trager
21-11-2016, 04:20 PM
We are top of the league and look strong so it's hard to criticise but some of the performances have not been done great. I still think that the media treat him as a exCeltic manager rather than the Hibs manager. He should stop commenting on them and concentrate on us.

I am not so sure why folk get so worked up about this.

Obviously you care, but I really can't see why

Smartie
21-11-2016, 04:33 PM
I am not so sure why folk get so worked up about this.

Obviously you care, but I really can't see why

Me neither.

There are a lot of Celtic fans out there and as a popular former Celtic manager he'll be asked for his opinion in the media a lot.

He seems to be an open and honest type so I don't see why he should duck these questions.

He seems to be enjoying the challenge with us, I don't think anyone can doubt his commitment and he doesn't exactly seem to be pining for the Celtic job. I don't think he spends every waking hour thinking up answers to these questions, thus impinging on his ability to manage us.

It is something that goes with the territory of appointing a former Celtic manager.

Diclonius
21-11-2016, 04:43 PM
We're top of the league, which was his remit. On that criteria, I'm satisfied.

hfc rd
21-11-2016, 05:39 PM
7 out of 10 so far. I like him and we have done really well. Best defensive record in Britain, I believe? I just hope we start to turn our dominance into more goals and we should have this title wrapped up soon and start getting new contracts sorted out with the likes of McGregor, Fontaine, Fyvie, Keatings etc and start planning for the Premiership next season. Similar to Celtic in the prem, the title is in our hands and it's only us that can knacker it.

Highland_Hibee
21-11-2016, 05:54 PM
I struggle for an answer. On one side I'm delighted we got the highest profile man realistically available for the job. On the other side with an established squad in this league I can't say I could expect us to be anywhere else but top of the league. I've got to say work in progress with plenty promising signs that could pay off long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brog
21-11-2016, 06:13 PM
I have mixed feelings. For me the main positives are our away form & our defensive record. My negatives are the number of points dropped at home & our lack of creativity in breaking down a packed defence. Saturday was better but to put it into perspective, Q of S have scored 1 goal in 2 months & lost their last 2 home games by a total of 9-1! Lennon is by nature a cautious manager as shown by playing 3 CB's at home. At the end of the day he'll be judged by whether we win the league & given we have no Sevco to compete with this season we certainly should. 7/10 for me.

wookie70
21-11-2016, 06:32 PM
6 out of 10 for me. The good news is the marking is looking like it is going to go up. I agree with quite a bit said on the thread. He now has a shape and settled team so big plus points there but it took a while and saw us out of three cups to get there. His signings are a bit hit and miss. Shinnie is excellent but Holt hasn't impressed me too much and Graham hasn't had much of a chance. The style of play has been more direct - good but a wee bit more agricultural than I would like. Good that we are top of the league but we have chucked away a good few points albeit the refs haven't helped.

My biggest criticism is that his substitution come far too late and mostly to little effect. The Falkirk game was very poorly managed from the bench in my opinion. I am also a wee bit worried about the Jason situation. No issue if he hasn't been working hard enough and Boyle has done well coming in but JC could be worth a good few quid and I worry that he will end up hardly getting a kick and leaving for no fee.

All in all I am pretty much where I was when he signed up. I didn't see much evidence then that he was going to be a success or a failure. Now I see a bit of evidence of both but he is definitely starting to win me over. If he gets us promoted he will be an 8 or higher but there is a long way to go there.

Big L
21-11-2016, 06:38 PM
He wasn't my first choice, but I have to say that when you take in to consideration the points dropped due to the terrible refereeing decisions, he has done a really good job! He also turned the Cummings situation in to a real plus by playing Boyle thru the middle, what a result that has been. The football was great on Sat and as long as we get that I'm happy 8.5/10. GGTTH.

jacomo
21-11-2016, 06:40 PM
A solid 7/10 from me.

Hibs are delivering on expectations without setting the heather on fire. But - most importantly - we are where we need to be in the league.

I was pleased with his appointment and he's performing. He does seem to be a naturally cautious manager, but no complaints.

SlickShoes
21-11-2016, 06:41 PM
Glad we are top of the league, currently playing well and already made it through a bit of a slump but still ahead of the pack.

It's all I could ask for really, it would be nice to be further ahead but we are where we need to be, next I'd like to see us put a good run in over the winter and open up a gap but as long as we win the league he will get 10/10 at the end of the season regardless of how we get there.

Eyrie
21-11-2016, 08:09 PM
Right now, Lennon gets 6/10 from me. We're three points clear in the league which is only close to rather than ahead of where I'd have expected but also had a disappointing exit from the League Cup.

However the time to judge him is in May. If we've won the league then he gets 10/10 and if we're promote through the play offs then it's 9/10. Anything else and it's 1/10.

Northernhibee
21-11-2016, 08:18 PM
I'd say a 7 out of 10 so far - a bit of a dip in form but a new manager will take a bit of time to find their feet and the right shape for the team. I like who we've signed, I think that Holt provides good experience, Graham has been effective, Shinnie is a quality player and Marciano appears to be a good solid keeper. We were unlucky not to progress further in the qualifying stages of the Europa League although the cup competitions are of an extremely low priority this season.

We've had a couple of 4-0 victories which is promising and we don't concede many goals. I'm concerned about the resale value of Cummings after turning down a £1.7m offer for him but he's bringing out the best in Martin Boyle.

Plenty to be positive about.

Enough said
21-11-2016, 08:35 PM
And your handle explains that that is the case. :)

Yes 😃

MacGruber
21-11-2016, 08:44 PM
5/10. It could go either way from here and although 5 seems low it started lower for me having not wanted Lennon in the first place. It feels lately that there is signs of improvement so hopefully Lennon goes on to prove me wrong and have me eating humble pie ;)

cmcd
21-11-2016, 09:07 PM
I have mixed feelings. For me the main positives are our away form & our defensive record. My negatives are the number of points dropped at home & our lack of creativity in breaking down a packed defence. Saturday was better but to put it into perspective, Q of S have scored 1 goal in 2 months & lost their last 2 home games by a total of 9-1! Lennon is by nature a cautious manager as shown by playing 3 CB's at home. At the end of the day he'll be judged by whether we win the league & given we have no Sevco to compete with this season we certainly should. 7/10 for me. On the point about struggling against 10 men .I was in Barcelona on Saturday and watched them struggle to brake down Malaga who had a man sent off . Not easy when the opposition have every player behind the ball

Sir David Gray
21-11-2016, 10:03 PM
6.5/10.

We have dropped a few more points than I expected at this point in the season and our performance against Queen of the South in the League Cup was very poor, as was our performance against St Mirren in the Challenge Cup (by all accounts). We gave a very good account of ourselves in Europe and deserved to beat Brondby. We have started to look very good again over the last four or five weeks so hopefully if you ask me this question again in a month's time, I will be marking him 7.5 or 8/10.

Super_JMcGinn
21-11-2016, 10:22 PM
5/10. It could go either way from here and although 5 seems low it started lower for me having not wanted Lennon in the first place. It feels lately that there is signs of improvement so hopefully Lennon goes on to prove me wrong and have me eating humble pie ;)

Same here, way too many points dropped already and has yet to convince me. Hopefully Saturday was the start of something special.

Hibbyradge
21-11-2016, 11:05 PM
Let's do this again after a draw.

Or a defeat.

Highland_Hibee
21-11-2016, 11:24 PM
Let's do this again after a draw.

Or a defeat.

xD Let's just do it now.

Too cautious

Poor signings

Top scorer on the bench