PDA

View Full Version : SJM - Value

HibbySpurs
21-11-2016, 09:59 AM
was thinking over the weekend how much potentially SJM could be worth to the club in terms of a future sell on, especially if he finally makes the breakthrough into the full national team (ok its a rubbish national team but a national team nonetheless)...

As far as I'm aware he's contracted until around the summer of 2019?

Hopefully once he's had the required surgery he'll be back and firing on all cylinders....

Some of Stubbs young signings are starting to look really good acquisitions as sad as it is to say we like all Scottish clubs need quality young players coming through that we can then sell on to help balance the books and keep the club in the black, wish it was otherwise of course but that's life....

To name just three from Stubbs that now look like being worth a few bob there's the obvious two in JC & SJM but Boyle now looks like he could be developing nicely.

Anyone care to put a potential value on SJM (or anyone else) though?

Viva_Palmeiras
21-11-2016, 10:47 AM
Priceless.

Quvestion, next....! :)

Hibbyradge
21-11-2016, 10:48 AM
Hunners.

Billy Whizz
21-11-2016, 10:57 AM
Hunners.

Less 30% or so due to St Mirren

calumhibee1
21-11-2016, 11:10 AM
I wouldn't sell him for less than £3million considering we have to give St Mirren 30%. . Whether we'd get that or not is a different story.

brog
21-11-2016, 11:15 AM
Celtc are beink linked with a "bargain" £2.5m move for Jordan Mutch in the window. As it happens I like Mutch but he's done nothing for Palace since his arrival. It's just another example of the totally over hyped, overblown English transfer market. If JM is worth £2.5m then SJM is worth at least that but unfortunately the reality is different.

Diclonius
21-11-2016, 11:20 AM
Some no mark English club will try and get him for £1M in the summer.

J-C
21-11-2016, 11:25 AM
If a Championship club is willing to spend £1.7m on Cummings, the McGinn will be at least £3M based on that.

Beefster
21-11-2016, 01:34 PM
If Pogba can fetch £90m, McGinn (Super John) should be ~£125m easily. More if we can instigate a bidding war between Real Madrid, Barca, Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea.

HoboHarry
21-11-2016, 01:36 PM
Less 30% or so due to St Mirren
I've read about that clause a few times on hibs.net but never seen it in print as a quote from NL or LD - are there any links to verify this?

HoboHarry
21-11-2016, 01:38 PM
If Pogba can fetch £90m, McGinn (Super John) should be ~£125m easily. More if we can instigate a bidding war between Real Madrid, Barca, Man Utd, Man City, Sevco and Chelsea.

Fixed that for you.......

Ahem...... :wink:

ahibby
21-11-2016, 01:47 PM
If the economy hadn't hid the skids then you'd say what ever we got for Scott Brown and add a million. Incidentally, I see SJM being a straight replacement for SB and an improvement, if they can come up with the right deal, but all in good time.

Billy Whizz
21-11-2016, 01:51 PM
I've read about that clause a few times on hibs.net but never seen it in print as a quote from NL or LD - are there any links to verify this?

Think the quote came via Stewart Gilmour, ex Saints Chairman, via a St Mirren fan

Smartie
21-11-2016, 02:29 PM
Some no mark English club will try and get him for £1M in the summer.

The Rangers?

Northernhibee
21-11-2016, 02:33 PM
He's better than Zidane so £100m.

scoopyboy
21-11-2016, 02:54 PM

It was announced at the St.Mirren AGM last year.

Hibs generally don't mention that kind of thing.

HibbySpurs
21-11-2016, 04:30 PM

Fair play to St. Mirren I guess for getting that sort of clause added and especially that high.... Didn't we pay in excess of £100K development fee when we signed him as well?

I'd hope when the time comes that the sell on clause will be factored in and I'm sure it will be....

We want a net £2M so that'll be £2.6M to you sir :cb

Just as an example :greengrin

Edit: And yes I'm aware that £2.6M would mean less than £2M net afore someone goes pointing that out....

S4uzee
21-11-2016, 05:29 PM
At least £5million.
A double cup winner in Scotland having not played for either the old firm, in the Scotland squad and only 22.

We sold Brown for £4.4million

southern hibby
21-11-2016, 05:35 PM
I'd sell him to us for £1 then give St Mirren 30p give SJM a new contract for 3-4 years then sell him we get the profit and mug off some west coast team in the process.

GGTTH

southern hibby
21-11-2016, 05:36 PM
See above I'm starting to sound Yamish I'm away to kick ten piles of poo out of myself.

GGTTH

Michael
21-11-2016, 05:42 PM
At least £5million.
A double cup winner in Scotland having not played for either the old firm, in the Scotland squad and only 22.

We sold Brown for £4.4million

Considering that £4.4 million was back in 2007 we should really be getting a lot more than that in 2016 for a young Scotland international.

Considering The size of the TV deal and the poor value of the pound he should be closer to £10m than £5m.

When you look at the money that's been spent on Burke and McCormack who are also Scotland players with a few caps it doesn't seem so ridiculous.

neil7908
21-11-2016, 06:56 PM
Considering that £4.4 million was back in 2007 we should really be getting a lot more than that in 2016 for a young Scotland international.

Considering The size of the TV deal and the poor value of the pound he should be closer to £10m than £5m.

When you look at the money that's been spent on Burke and McCormack who are also Scotland players with a few caps it doesn't seem so ridiculous.

I agree we should be getting more but unfortunately the game in England has gone crazy whereas ours has declined.

Bottom line is that teams in England just don't rate players from Scottish leagues. Even though they are flushed with cash Scotland is seen as a cheap market to take a punt on, not really somewhere to splash the cash.

Celtic can get decent money for the likes of Wayama and Van Dijk but they are the exception.

My only hope with John is that he seems a really sensible guy and I don't see him agitating for a move unless it's in his and our interests which helps to strengthen our position.

No way we're getting £5m for him and £10m is probably enough to buy every player in more then half the teams in the SPL.

MyJo
21-11-2016, 07:01 PM
we will get this season and another season out of him if we get promoted before he is sold for around £3.5m with a year left on his contract. :aok:

Unseen work
21-11-2016, 07:16 PM
People need to calm down with these prices

Scott brown at hibs also had a Scotland cap and was playing in the premiership in a very good hibs side for years and was always a stand out who had endless potential.

Now Mcginn is very good too, but he's not as good is brown was at the same age imo and is the playing in the championship.

Imo 2.5 absolute max if he was to leave in January

Andy74
21-11-2016, 07:38 PM

I'd be surprised if we actually agreed this. It would have been a tribunal if we hadn't agreed a deal but doubtful it would have amounted to too much.

30% of someone we thought highly enough of to give him a long contract seems a bit steep.

jacomo
21-11-2016, 07:43 PM
He's better than Zidane so £100m.

:aok:

Velma Dinkley
21-11-2016, 07:45 PM
I'd be surprised if we actually agreed this. It would have been a tribunal if we hadn't agreed a deal but doubtful it would have amounted to too much.

30% of someone we thought highly enough of to give him a long contract seems a bit steep.

There was also the issue of John dropping his legal action against St Mirren re. the spike in his leg, which led to Hibs getting a better deal.

tamig
21-11-2016, 07:46 PM
If the economy hadn't hid the skids then you'd say what ever we got for Scott Brown and add a million. Incidentally, I see SJM being a straight replacement for SB and an improvement, if they can come up with the right deal, but all in good time.

I reckon McGinn has his sights set a bit higher than the top team in Scotland. He strikes me as a guy with ambition, his head firmly screwed on and no qualms about playing outside of Scotland. Remember, he almost went to the MLS before joining us.

3pm
21-11-2016, 07:54 PM
I reckon McGinn has his sights set a bit higher than the top team in Scotland. He strikes me as a guy with ambition, his head firmly screwed on and no qualms about playing outside of Scotland. Remember, he almost went to the MLS before joining us.

His two brothers play down south.

Nicho87
21-11-2016, 07:55 PM
If scott brown went for 5.5 million......rod petrie must be constantly hard.

Enough said
22-11-2016, 07:32 AM

Scott went for 4.4 million

Since90+2
22-11-2016, 08:16 AM
We won't get as much as we did for Brown for varying reasons.

I think if a bid over 2 milion comes in he will be gone.

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-11-2016, 09:27 AM
People need to calm down with these prices

Scott brown at hibs also had a Scotland cap and was playing in the premiership in a very good hibs side for years and was always a stand out who had endless potential.

Now Mcginn is very good too, but he's not as good is brown was at the same age imo and is the playing in the championship.

Imo 2.5 absolute max if he was to leave in January

Indeed, some strange amounts being mentioned.

JimBHibees
22-11-2016, 09:33 AM
Scott went for 4.4 million

With adds on which took it to 5.5 or so.

HibbySpurs
22-11-2016, 08:01 PM

Hahaha, brilliant

Enough said
22-11-2016, 08:44 PM
With adds on which took it to 5.5 or so.

Unfortunately not as the books stated the following year. Yes there was an add only if he moved to another club hibs got a percentage of that fee. The reason Celtic got Scott was because they paid the valuation up front.

northstandhibby
22-11-2016, 08:54 PM
It's difficult to compare like for like valuations with SJM and Scotty. They're similar in some aspects for example. determination, great engines and drive.

However Scotty is more of a ball winner, very good at breaking up attacks, holding the ball up and a tenacious tackler.

SJM is a far more skillful on the ball player than Scotty and can easily go past players, good at tackling too although not as good as Scotty, and has a cracking shot on him.

They both have very good attitudes and always want to play.

It's difficult to compare yet I would say SJM would just about shade it for me if I had to choose who I thought was the better all round player.

Hermit Crab
22-11-2016, 10:06 PM

Which he didn't.

tamig
22-11-2016, 10:14 PM
It's difficult to compare like for like valuations with SJM and Scotty. They're similar in some aspects for example. determination, great engines and drive.

However Scotty is more of a ball winner, very good at breaking up attacks, holding the ball up and a tenacious tackler.

SJM is a far more skillful on the ball player than Scotty and can easily go past players, good at tackling too although not as good as Scotty, and has a cracking shot on him.

It's difficult to compare yet I would say SJM would just about shade it for me if I had to choose who I thought was the better all round player.

The Scotty you describe there isn't the same Scott Brown that left Hibs. That Scott Brown was a superb, dynamic, attacking talent. Just watch the Sproule hat-trick game.

Unseen work
22-11-2016, 10:14 PM

Scott only became a ball winning midfielder when he went to Celtic and changed.

For us he drove past and took on opposition with ease. Skill was not something he was lacking

northstandhibby
22-11-2016, 10:21 PM

For us he drove past and took on opposition with ease. Skill was not something he was lacking

I never said Scotty lacked skill just SJM is a more skillful player but it's all a matter of opinion of course.

For me SJM shades Scotty no matter when the comparisons are made.

I would prefer to watch SJM play than Scotty as he is capable of something very special.

Bishop Hibee
22-11-2016, 10:27 PM
£2-2.5 million. I hope we can keep him for another season if we go up but a big bid would be hard to refuse.

Big L
22-11-2016, 10:29 PM

If I remember correctly he played in an attacking role when he first broke in to the team, also played wide, he was also as mad as a brush. I didn't want to lose him but I was a pleasantly surprise with the fee we got for him.

MWHIBBIES
22-11-2016, 10:31 PM
Brown was twice the player McGinn is. Thomson was twice the player McGinn is, think folk need to relax a little.

A good season in the top flight with us and we could get 2.5 million.

Bishop Hibee
22-11-2016, 10:47 PM
McGinn is a different sort of midfielder to Brown or Thomson. He reminds me of Murdo McLeod. He'll come back better after his ankle op.

jacomo
22-11-2016, 11:41 PM
Brown was twice the player McGinn is. Thomson was twice the player McGinn is, think folk need to relax a little.

A good season in the top flight with us and we could get 2.5 million.

:agree:

When those two were SJM's age they were terrific. More energy than the more defensive players they became.

calumhibee1
23-11-2016, 09:17 AM
I love McGinn but he in no way "shades it" as a better player than a guy who has been Celtic and Scotland captain for the majority of the last 5 years.

bingo70
23-11-2016, 02:56 PM
I love McGinn but he in no way "shades it" as a better player than a guy who has been Celtic and Scotland captain for the majority of the last 5 years.

Correct. Even when Brown was Mcginns age he was better than SJM is now.

Both excellent players but a bit perspective needed. IMO McGinnis will go for around £1.5m when the time comes for him to move on.

ancient hibee
23-11-2016, 05:54 PM
Scott laid on a goal for Fletcher in the League Cup final with a brilliant pass.McGinn needs to add that to his game as well as the hard work he does in the middle of the park.