PDA

View Full Version : Duncan Watmore

beensaidbefore
20-11-2016, 10:58 PM
Remember when folk on here said he was crap?

jacomo
20-11-2016, 11:04 PM
Nope. Gonna tell us all about it?

Watmore was mentioned in a discussion re: Harris. Both young wingers who got kicked a lot, but one of them has gone on to deliver on their potential.

Pretty Boy
20-11-2016, 11:12 PM
Theae threads are so pointless and, to put it bluntly, nonsense.

Very few people said Watmore was 'crap'. I don't think we seen enough of him to make any real judgement at all. He looked bright on his 1st start, got kicked off the park, picked up a few injuries and really only showed a few flashes after that.

matty_f
20-11-2016, 11:16 PM

Very few people said Watmore was 'crap'. I don't think we seen enough of him to make any real judgement at all. He looked bright on his 1st start, got kicked off the park, picked up a few injuries and really only showed a few flashes after that.

:agree: pish thread.

silverhibee
21-11-2016, 12:13 AM
Watmore had trouble getting over a injury he picked up at Hibs, bruising on the bone and not something that goes away with in a couple of weeks but he still gave things a try, good to see him doing well now and pretty sure he played for England under 21s last week, good luck to the lad in his football career.

Scouse Hibee
21-11-2016, 06:01 AM

No I don"t.

blackpoolhibs
21-11-2016, 06:43 AM
Nope, i dont think it has beensaidbefore.

The Green Goblin
21-11-2016, 06:49 AM
:yawn:

Speedy
21-11-2016, 06:50 AM

Don't think people said crap, lightweight and infective maybe.

For what it's worth he's still far from a complete player.

Very direct though which causes problems and he's filled out so can fend off defenders now. Definitely an asset to his team.

Bostonhibby
21-11-2016, 08:10 AM
Thought he looked like a real prospect, was never going to get a chance in Scotland as defenders kick lumps out off skilful players and he was also under the butcher malpas school of football thinking if I remember correctly.

My neighbours go to Sunderland a lot and they often say he's been their best player.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-11-2016, 08:22 AM

I bet you're glad you started this thread! :-)

NadeAteMyLunch!
21-11-2016, 10:21 AM
Literally the only good thing Butcher did was bring in Watmore and if he hadn't been assaulted for 90 mins by the Raith defence on his debut he might have helped us avoid relegation.

Smartie
21-11-2016, 10:56 AM
I think the horror of Watmore's spell at Hibs will have helped him kick on and make the most of his career, rather than having to drop down a level and get abuse from the likes of our fans and Terry Butcher.

Salt N Sauzee
21-11-2016, 11:03 AM
Hi I'm just here for some cheap point scoring

Fixed that for you mate :greengrin

LustForLeith
21-11-2016, 12:13 PM
Hasn't he been studiying and got a degree as well as playing football on a full time basis?

Spike Mandela
21-11-2016, 12:16 PM
Another "young player gets better with age and experience" shocker.:rolleyes:

easty
21-11-2016, 05:56 PM
He did **** all at Hibs. Whether he was kicked off the park or no.

So, he's turned out to actually be quite good...so?

Scouse Hibee
21-11-2016, 06:05 PM
He did **** all at Hibs. Whether he was kicked off the park or no.

So, he's turned out to actually be quite good...so?

Yep same old,some players don't perform at Hibs for whatever reason age/injuries/desire/inexperience etc so we move them on and people rightly give their opinions on their time at Hibs. Fast forward to when the same player performs at another club and folk love to say we were wrong. Fact is we were assessing their form while at Hibs nothing else.

NORTHERNHIBBY
21-11-2016, 06:12 PM

Light the blue touch paper and run away. What a waste of a post.

21-11-2016, 07:49 PM
Was saying this while watching match of the day

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Hibernian Verse
21-11-2016, 09:32 PM
Nope. Gonna tell us all about it?

Watmore was mentioned in a discussion re: Harris. Both young wingers who got kicked a lot, but one of them has gone on to deliver on their potential.

OP getting a lot of bother for his comment but bringing Harris into a Duncan Watmore thread has gone unnoticed?!

Gie the laddie a break!

pedroorange1875
21-11-2016, 09:40 PM

Yip i said he was pish, do i win the cup final dvd? yessssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Booked4Being-Ugly
21-11-2016, 09:42 PM
I'm just biding my time until Islam Feruz becomes a top player in the EPL.

snooky
21-11-2016, 09:43 PM
Watmore had trouble getting over a injury he picked up at Hibs, bruising on the bone and not something that goes away with in a couple of weeks but he still gave things a try, good to see him doing well now and pretty sure he played for England under 21s last week, good luck to the lad in his football career.

:agree: x2

silverhibee
21-11-2016, 10:21 PM
I'm just biding my time until Islam Feruz becomes a top player in the EPL.

Now on loan to a Belgium club, who are doing pish. :greengrin

jacomo
21-11-2016, 10:48 PM
OP getting a lot of bother for his comment but bringing Harris into a Duncan Watmore thread has gone unnoticed?!

Gie the laddie a break!

I like Harris and still hope he makes it. I would hope he takes inspiration from Watmore.

Genuinely not having a dig, apologies if it came across that way.

lyonhibs
22-11-2016, 01:17 PM

Gie the laddie a break!

I suspect you may be extra defensive of Harris given the whole "went to school with him" thing :greengrin.

The thread OP is crap, but threads evolve and rarely stay strictly on topic.

Harris won't make it as a 1st team starter at Hibs unless something fundamental switches in his pysche/self confidence levels. He's not a 10 game player who has had 1 stinker but rather had a lot of bites at the cherry and a decent amount of 1st team football both here and elsewhere without ever cementing a place here long term (which is a shame, clearly).

Unless folk are actually hurling abuse at him from the stands or he's cowering under his duvet at some forum chat, his being mentioned here doesn't make a whit of difference to his chances at Hibs.

ALF TUPPER
23-11-2016, 05:54 AM

Don't remember him ever being crap or anyone on here saying he was.
He was kicked up and down the park, got up, dusted himself down and went again.

Sure he was a raw talent but it was clear he was a player and would go on to better things.

I think the Hibs support appreciated him but certain don't recall him ever being called crap.

beensaidbefore
23-11-2016, 03:37 PM
Light the blue touch paper and run away. What a waste of a post.

Why is it a waste of a post? People on here slated him, look at some of the threads when he was playing. If it was such a waste ignore it and move on.

beensaidbefore
23-11-2016, 03:40 PM
Don't remember him ever being crap or anyone on here saying he was.
He was kicked up and down the park, got up, dusted himself down and went again.

Sure he was a raw talent but it was clear he was a player and would go on to better things.

I think the Hibs support appreciated him but certain don't recall him ever being called crap.

Crap, rubbish, not good enough for hibs, all amount to the same. Iirc there were folk on here saying he wasn't good enough. Now he is playing in the end regularly and getting good reports. Highlights that there are too many on here too quick to judge.

beensaidbefore
23-11-2016, 03:43 PM
Fixed that for you mate :greengrin

That's a classic one. Comedy gold. Should we just ignore all the experts on here, including a few on this thread who thought he wasn't good enough for the mighty hibs.

beensaidbefore
23-11-2016, 03:46 PM

Glad you saw fit to read and then comment on the pointless thread. Thanks for your eh, pointless contribution. Very few said he was crap, but they shouted loud enough. Were you one of them?

Pretty Boy
23-11-2016, 03:48 PM
Glad you saw fit to read and then comment on the pointless thread. Thanks for your eh, pointless contribution. Very few said he was crap, but they shouted loud enough. Were you one of them?
I gave a pretty clear assessment of what I thought of Watmore in my post.

You went fishing and got a bite. Congratulations are in order.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

beensaidbefore
23-11-2016, 03:48 PM
Nope, i dont think it has beensaidbefore.

I see what you tried to do there...back to the drawing board for you! 😂

Thecat23
23-11-2016, 03:50 PM
I don't see why you have brought this up to be honest. From memory most folk thought there was a player there but he was kicked up and down v Raith I think. Sadly never got a proper run, but I fail to see what your point is?

FastEddieFelson
23-11-2016, 04:03 PM
I don't see why you have brought this up to be honest. From memory most folk thought there was a player there but he was kicked up and down v Raith I think. Sadly never got a proper run, but I fail to see what your point is?

his point is that players are often written off far too quickly. probably.

Thecat23
23-11-2016, 04:07 PM

If that's the case why didn't he just say that?

beensaidbefore
23-11-2016, 04:07 PM

That is my point. People on here time and again show themselves to not really know what a good football player is. The bluster and bravado to try and look cool or in the know is primary school stuff. Also the defensiveness of some is a joke.

Thecat23
23-11-2016, 04:08 PM
That is my point. People on here time and again show themselves to not really know what a good football player is. The bluster and bravado to try and look cool or in the know is primary school stuff. Also the defensiveness of some is a joke.

If that's the what you meant then you could have easily put that point across without actually having a pop at posters. Surely you can see that?

beensaidbefore
23-11-2016, 04:09 PM
If that's the case why didn't he just say that?

I asked a question, remember when folk on here though he was chap? An answer, and a more adult response, could have been yeah, amazing how he has come on to a game etc etc, but the smart Alecs were out in force as usual.

Mr White
23-11-2016, 04:09 PM
primary school stuff.

Unlike the refined, high brow approach you bring to the table :cb

Pretty Boy
23-11-2016, 04:13 PM
I asked a question, remember when folk on here though he was chap? An answer, and a more adult response, could have been yeah, amazing how he has come on to a game etc etc, but the smart Alecs were out in force as usual.

Posting on here isn't compulsory, if you don't like it then there's an obvious solution.

If you carry on with your petty jibes at other posters you might not have a choice.

Salt N Sauzee
23-11-2016, 04:14 PM
That's a classic one. Comedy gold. Should we just ignore all the experts on here, including a few on this thread who thought he wasn't good enough for the mighty hibs.

Raging 😂

Mon Dieu4
23-11-2016, 04:20 PM
Like many I thought he had the makings of a decent player, but for whatever reason be it injury, tactics, etc we only saw fleeting glimpses, I can only think of the first half of the Raith game when he excelled.

He's currently looking half decent in a shocking team who have 8 points after 12 games, hardly a huge I told you so to people who doubted him or not

beensaidbefore
23-11-2016, 04:35 PM
I gave a pretty clear assessment of what I thought of Watmore in my post.

You went fishing and got a bite. Congratulations are in order.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Why are you taking this personally? Where did I say prettyboy said this or that. You are jumping onto this and I'm not sure why unless you feel the need to justify yourself. The point is some folk did say he was rubbish/crap call it what you want, and I have highlighted how wrong they were. Rather than holding hands up and saying yeah, I held an opinion and it has been proven wrong, what a player he is now etc etc. Thats how normal adult conversations work.

beensaidbefore
23-11-2016, 04:37 PM
Posting on here isn't compulsory, if you don't like it then there's an obvious solution.

If you carry on with your petty jibes at other posters you might not have a choice.

Petty jibes? Where? I think you have come on here being very defensive and confrontational. Are you admin? Do your peers encourage confrontational posting on here?

beensaidbefore
23-11-2016, 04:39 PM
If that's the what you meant then you could have easily put that point across without actually having a pop at posters. Surely you can see that?

Rewind a bit, like to post 3 4 5 etc, I have come on here having to justify myself against the opinions of people who have been less than courteous because I highlighted that some people on here held an opinion that Watmore was rubbish. Why am I in the wrong here?

HibbyKeith
23-11-2016, 05:03 PM
Rewind a bit, like to post 3 4 5 etc, I have come on here having to justify myself against the opinions of people who have been less than courteous because I highlighted that some people on here held an opinion that Watmore was rubbish. Why am I in the wrong here?

:wink:

world would be a boring place without them.

Some folk though Ricardo Vaz Te was pish too, but hey ho that's life.

The Leith Dutch
23-11-2016, 05:27 PM
Why are you taking this personally? Where did I say prettyboy said this or that. You are jumping onto this and I'm not sure why unless you feel the need to justify yourself. The point is some folk did say he was rubbish/crap call it what you want, and I have highlighted how wrong they were. Rather than holding hands up and saying yeah, I held an opinion and it has been proven wrong, what a player he is now etc etc. Thats how normal adult conversations work.

With all due respect your initial post was, whether you intended it that way or not, worded in such a way that sounds like you're having a pop at people for not knowing anything about football.

Like I said, you may not have intended it to come across that way but it did to me re-reading it just now and, judging by the responses, it seems to have come across that way to others.

There's a decent topic for discussion here about how quickly we pass judgement on players and why certain players are much better either before they come to us or after they leave us but your initial post is phrased as though you're as much concerned with why other posters were wrong.

beensaidbefore
23-11-2016, 05:41 PM
With all due respect your initial post was, whether you intended it that way or not, worded in such a way that sounds like you're having a pop at people for not knowing anything about football.

Like I said, you may not have intended it to come across that way but it did to me re-reading it just now and, judging by the responses, it seems to have come across that way to others.

There's a decent topic for discussion here about how quickly we pass judgement on players and why certain players are much better either before they come to us or after they leave us but your initial post is phrased as though you're as much concerned with why other posters were wrong.

You're right mate. With hindsight I wish I had chosen my words more wisely in the op. And you have also hit the nail on the head re the whole point in the thread. There are lots who are criticised and labeled as not good enough for us, and then go on to play very well for others.

HibbySpurs
23-11-2016, 05:41 PM

Hindsight is a beautiful thing eh? Using it means you're always right about the past.

If I could tell what was going to happen two years from now I'd be a very wealthy man indeed

beensaidbefore
23-11-2016, 05:43 PM
Hindsight is a beautiful thing eh? Using it means you're always right about the past.

If I could tell what was going to happen two years from now I'd be a very wealthy man indeed

Thanks for clearing that up.

HibbySpurs
23-11-2016, 05:50 PM
Thanks for clearing that up.

No bother.

In all honesty, why?

Aye he didn't set the world alight at Hibs but the lads developed and done really well for himself so fair play to him.

This is like crying over the proverbial spilt milk... Can't be right all the time.

Ricardo Vaz Te, mind him? Went on to have blinding season for West Ham and lots on here thought he was rubbish as well.

I could and it pains me throw Paul Hartely into that basket as well.

Point is, some players just don't fit at a club for whatever reason and they move on and flourish... Nae point dredging it all up though, people can only base an opinion on what they see at the time. No point dwelling on it IMO, let's move on.

blackpoolhibs
23-11-2016, 08:01 PM
I see what you tried to do there...back to the drawing board for you! 😂

I remember saying Joe Keenan was pish, what do i win? :confused:

3pm
23-11-2016, 08:07 PM
I remember saying Joe Keenan was pish, what do i win? :confused:

Joe Keenan unfortunately.

Mick O'Rourke
23-11-2016, 08:13 PM
The mere mention of TB and MM here, should result in an automatic ban from the forum

OK.... am just leaving !!

ancient hibee
23-11-2016, 08:15 PM
Where is Vaz Te now?

matty_f
23-11-2016, 08:41 PM
I must have missed the posts where people claimed to be experts rather than fans having an opinion based on what they'd seen.

Mind we weren't allowed to discuss referees without being expert refs ourselves as well.

Hope nobody else voices an opinion on anything in case in a couple of years you might be wrong.

BoomtownHibees
23-11-2016, 08:51 PM
Should we have signed him permanently based on his performances for Hibs just in case he came good 3 years later??

Thecat23
23-11-2016, 10:18 PM
Joe Keenan unfortunately.

😂😂

superfurryhibby
24-11-2016, 07:21 AM
Where is Vaz Te now?

Probably living the high life on the basis of the £30'000 a week contract he had at West Ham?

Watmore was/ is young and he was clearly a raw work in progress at Hibs. He was quick and direct, unfortunately, he also got blootered badly in his first game and received and injury that blighted his time at ER. That said , I thought his drive and energy outweighed his technique. Got that one wrong clearly.

To be fair, the majority of players that fail at ER do so because they just weren't good enough. The are very few proportionally who go on to forge decent careers or hit the heights elsewhere. Some guys divided opinion, like Booth and Wotherspoon. Others were just unanimously plain tom kite.

Personally speaking, I'm well aware that I wear green tinted specs when judging the merits of Hibs players. There are guys, like Hanlon, where you wonder how they would fare at a higher standard. Others, like Stevenson, you know they have limits and are at the right place qnd right level ( ie: very good championship player).

Scouse Hibee
24-11-2016, 08:35 AM
Should we have signed him permanently based on his performances for Hibs just in case he came good 3 years later??

Nail on the head and makes the whole told you so argument silly. We can only base our opinions on our experiences of seeing him playing which is exactly what we done.

Salt N Sauzee
24-11-2016, 09:26 AM
Nail on the head and makes the whole told you so argument silly. We can only base our opinions on our experiences of seeing him playing which is exactly what we done.

I actually thought he looked good for us. One of few players in the squad who was direct in his play and liked to run at players. He was too lightweight though which is no fault of his own.

JDHibs
24-11-2016, 10:02 AM
Vaz Te is currently playing in Turkey, probably earning a ton more than what he would do over here. He went onto better things.

Said could be same for - Doyle & Donaldson

Both players divided opinion and deemed by some as not good enough, yet both went down south from here and got decent sized move to big clubs. No idea what they are doing now mind you.

Amazingly everyone wanted TB and MM here and there was basically a aprty when we managed to get them, brb, making a post to start more arguments.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and shouldnt be used against people 3 years down the line. Bit silly.

Tom Hart RIP
24-11-2016, 01:04 PM
I got speaking to TB one day about Duncan. It was his attitude ie still studying for a degree whilst playing football coupled with his desire to train and learn the game that impressed him most.
He also mentioned the lack of tattoos and flash
Motors.

easty
24-11-2016, 01:54 PM
I got speaking to TB one day about Duncan. It was his attitude ie still studying for a degree whilst playing football coupled with his desire to train and learn the game that impressed him most.
He also mentioned the lack of tattoos and flash
Motors.

But TB is a clueless ****...so I'm not sure what to make of what he said.

Andy74
05-12-2016, 09:56 PM
Out for the season with a cruciate.

itslegaltender
06-12-2016, 06:51 AM
Raith were a disgrace in Watmores debut, they were absolutely brutal.

HH81
06-12-2016, 07:02 AM
Sad news for the lad. Hope he comes back from it well.