Ronniekirk
20-11-2016, 06:22 PM
Destroying Novak in the Final so far

Sir David Gray
20-11-2016, 06:24 PM
Brilliant so far.

DaveF
20-11-2016, 06:28 PM
Djokovic has had a couple of misses at the net that are a common part of my game :-)

Murray has been exceptional so far but it isn't over yet.

Pretty Boy
20-11-2016, 06:34 PM
He's the best player in the world at the moment and he's proving it.

Galahibby
20-11-2016, 06:39 PM
Destroying Novak in the Final so far

Jinx! :wink:

Borderhibbie76
20-11-2016, 06:40 PM
Ssssh ffs

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

tamig
20-11-2016, 06:41 PM
Ssssh ffs

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Indeed.

Galahibby
20-11-2016, 06:59 PM
Superb! :flag:

Sir David Gray
20-11-2016, 07:03 PM
Outstanding performance from Murray.

Best British athlete in my lifetime.

blackpoolhibs
20-11-2016, 07:04 PM
Andy Murray is just a superb athlete, who never knows when he's beaten.

Well done Andy. :top marks

Northernhibee
20-11-2016, 07:04 PM

Hasn't headed a winning goal for Hibs in the Scottish Cup Final though. Basic.

calumhibee1
20-11-2016, 07:05 PM

Second best. Sir David Gray number one.

Sir David Gray
20-11-2016, 07:07 PM
Hasn't headed a winning goal for Hibs in the Scottish Cup Final though. Basic.

Second best. Sir David Gray number one.

Apologies. :wink:

The Harp
20-11-2016, 07:10 PM
Phenomenal achievement by Andy - even though it's like watching the Hibs at times, when he invariably does things the hard way. What a superstar!

northstandhibby
20-11-2016, 07:12 PM
Andy you are a credit to the nation. Massive congratulations to you, your mother Judy and all of the family.

:not worth

20-11-2016, 07:18 PM
Outstanding achievement. He's come through in an era of arguably the greatest tennis players of all time (Federer, Djokovic etc) but he's bided his time and kept going. Deserves his time in the sun, he's worked incredibly hard for it.

Fantastic stuff! A very wealthy man now so come on Andy get some invested in the hibees, you know it makes sense :greengrin!

Callyballybe
20-11-2016, 07:23 PM
Fantastic achievement, what a legend. Hibs class!

Big L
20-11-2016, 07:24 PM
Andy Murray, a great example to all sportsmen, Arise Sir Andy!!

HibsNutter
20-11-2016, 07:32 PM

Best British athlete of all time.

Peanut Shaz
20-11-2016, 07:35 PM
Really wish we could get him and Jamie to a game at ER and on to the pitch at half time.

green day
20-11-2016, 07:37 PM
Really wish we could get him and Jamie to a game at ER and on to the pitch at half time.

Might happen after they retire. Don't think they could schedule many Saturdays in the year. Even now Andy heads to Florida to recharge and get ready for Australia.

hibees 7062
20-11-2016, 07:42 PM
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15192632_1121216784660482_2852059704697163333_n.jp g?oh=c291215912ca9df449147ab85615fc49&oe=58C70B4B

Tinribs
20-11-2016, 07:42 PM
Nice to see the BBC posted the tweet from Hibs, Murray with the cup :)

lucky
20-11-2016, 07:50 PM
Unbelievable fitness from him. How are footballers not that fit ? And he's an incredible tennis player

Peanut Shaz
20-11-2016, 07:56 PM
Might happen after they retire. Don't think they could schedule many Saturdays in the year. Even now Andy heads to Florida to recharge and get ready for Australia.

And that's why they're both number one in the world. True commitment. Maybe one day.

hibees 7062
20-11-2016, 07:58 PM
Unbelievable fitness from him. How are footballers not that fit ? And he's an incredible tennis player

Exactly no excuse

Albanian Hibs
20-11-2016, 08:03 PM
Well done Andy!!

AltheHibby
20-11-2016, 08:08 PM
2 Scottish Cups, 2 Murrays at #1 in the world.

What a year to be a Hibby.

MWHIBBIES
20-11-2016, 08:13 PM
Unbelievable fitness from him. How are footballers not that fit ? And he's an incredible tennis playerBecause they drink and eat *****.

G B Young
20-11-2016, 08:16 PM
For Andy to have come through that epic against Raonic last night and still have the physical and mental energy to hand Djokovic a bit of a lesson is phenomenal. He is without question the greatest British sportsman of all time and currently one of the finest performers in world sport.

Don't forget Jamie is also back at the world No 1 spot in the doubles which is remarkable enough for a British tennis player. They're some pair.

Golden Bear
20-11-2016, 08:29 PM

Exactly. Plus the fact that there are no hiding places on a tennis court.

High-On-Hibs
20-11-2016, 09:07 PM
Murray's on fire! His hibeeness is justified! :singing:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
20-11-2016, 09:10 PM
Murray's on fire! Joke-O-Vick is terrified! :singing:

Sir David Gray
20-11-2016, 09:11 PM

Might need to wait another four or five years until they've retired.

Murray said tonight after his match that he's taking two weeks off before flying to his training camp in Miami and training there for two weeks, he'll then spend Christmas with his family before he then flies out to Abu Dhabi and Doha for the first couple of tournaments of 2017. Once he's started there, that will be him on the tour for pretty much the rest of the year until November.

DaveF
20-11-2016, 09:15 PM
Tremendous achievement, especially given his time on court this week.

beensaidbefore
20-11-2016, 09:34 PM
Apart from Stephen Henry, and Colin Mcrae when was a Scotsman world no 1 in sport?

Some achievement. Arguably the best Scots achievement in sport ever.

Jonnyboy
20-11-2016, 09:38 PM
Apart from Stephen Henry, and Colin Mcrae when was a Scotsman world no 1 in sport?

Gary Anderson?

Marco G
20-11-2016, 09:50 PM

Last one was Jamie Murray! Great night and proud to see Hibby tennis players on top of the world!

Sir David Gray
20-11-2016, 10:14 PM
Gary Anderson?

Don't know if Gary Anderson has ever been ranked world number one. :confused:

jacomo
20-11-2016, 10:24 PM

I'm just not sure that many people are physically capable of pushing themselves that hard. Plus he has a team around him and a schedule dedicated to maximising his performance.

Babyshamble
20-11-2016, 10:38 PM
Gary Anderson was the first world champion this year.gets my vote over Andy Murray.

jgl07
20-11-2016, 10:44 PM

John Higgins was world number one for not far off four years.

beensaidbefore
20-11-2016, 11:01 PM
John Higgins was world number one for not far off four years.

Completely forgot about him.

JohnM1875
20-11-2016, 11:06 PM
Gary Anderson was the first world champion this year.gets my vote over Andy Murray.

You're not serious right?

hibees 7062
20-11-2016, 11:08 PM
Murray's on fire! Joke-O-Vick is terrified! :singing:

:top marks:greengrin

mjhibby
20-11-2016, 11:57 PM
Outstanding achievement. He's come through in an era of arguably the greatest tennis players of all time (Federer, Djokovic etc) but he's bided his time and kept going. Deserves his time in the sun, he's worked incredibly hard for it.

Fantastic stuff! A very wealthy man now so come on Andy get some invested in the hibees, you know it makes sense :greengrin!

That sounds a great idea but I'm sure when he retires with £100m plus in the bank he will have loads of people asking if he would like to invest various projects. I'm sure stf would be interested in selling to him but doubt it will happen. Just a magnificent performance by one of scotlands true sporting greats. I don't think he will be fully appreciated till he's stops playing and we hoping we get someone through to the second week at Wimbledon.

Babyshamble
21-11-2016, 12:08 AM
You're not serious right?

I'm allowed an opinion surely ?

JohnM1875
21-11-2016, 12:12 AM

Of course you are man. Goes without saying!

Just personally think being a world champion in darts and year end world number 1 in tennis is incomparable.

As you said though. All about opinions.

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-11-2016, 12:19 AM

Peter Nicol in squash at the end of the 90s.

monktonharp
21-11-2016, 12:54 AM
[QUOTE=JohnM1875;4863045]Of course you are man. Goes without saying!

Just personally think being a world champion in darts and year end world number 1 in tennis is incomparable.

As you said though. All about opinions.[/QUOTE behave yersel Min, darts players are much fitter than tennis players! don't be afraid to say it. Murray looks a bit 'andy though. the only problem I have with him is, fans o' the Gorgie mob just canny take to him. half a dozen of the barstewards made out that they wanted him beat last night, in our boozer.......................... bunch o' torags almost caused a riot. !

Shrekko
21-11-2016, 01:21 AM
Did he manage that before he became English?

MacGruber
21-11-2016, 05:56 AM
Wee shout out for Alex Arthur too - a world champion and a gid hibby take :)

MacGruber
21-11-2016, 05:58 AM
Also, have the Proclaimers no had a number 1? ;)

Scouse Hibee
21-11-2016, 07:04 AM
Murray tbe greatest ever Sporting Scot now ahead of Chris Hoy.

mjhibby
21-11-2016, 07:12 AM
Also, have the Proclaimers no had a number 1? ;)

Yep. The charity version of 500 miles I believe. Can't believe there Is a discussion on the importance of super Andy being top of the pops. Our glorious cup win aside it's the greatest achievement by a Scottish sportsman. The likes of ken Buchanan,Jim Clark,Jackie Stewart,Alan wells etc were great achievements and Buchanan and Clark are two of my big idols growing up but what Andy has achieved is just phenomenal especially in probably the toughest era to win a slam in tennis history. The fact that the whole Murray clan are huge hibbies is just gigantic icing on a massive cake. So pleased for Andy,his family and his team. Btw whatever he is paying Lendl he should double it pronto. Andy has become a winning machine since Lendl returned as coach.

Brightside
21-11-2016, 07:48 AM

Yeh but Darts isn't a sport. The rule is always If you can play it in the pub its not a sport.

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-11-2016, 07:57 AM
Did he manage that before he became English?

Aye.

hibby6270
21-11-2016, 09:48 AM
Greatest ever Scottish sportsman? Absolutely.

Greatest ever British sportsman? Name anyone better!!

If Sir Chris Hoy (a Jambo) says Andy (a Hibby) is the greatest, I can't argue with that. :agree::thumbsup:

bigwheel
21-11-2016, 09:53 AM
Greatest ever Scottish sportsman? Absolutely.

Greatest ever British sportsman? Name anyone better!!

If Sir Chris Hoy (a Jambo) says Andy (a Hibby) is the greatest, I can't argue with that. :agree::thumbsup:

adding the detail that Hoy was not really a Jambo, not much of a football fan...and Murray is :not worth

Mikey09
21-11-2016, 10:31 AM
I've watched Murray on the telly box since he broke through at his first Wimbledon. I had the pleasure of going to the O2 on Tues and Wed. Watched Djokovic play Raonic on Tues. Both incredible players especially Djokovic who has an unbelievable will to win. Then watched Murray play Nishikori on Wed and it was incredible! I said to the wife watching Andy was like watching Hibs... Always puts you through it! At the end of that match I ran down as close to the players entrance so I could to get a snap and my big tennis ball signed! As he was walking to leave I threw him the ball and shouted "could you sign this for a fellow Hibby?!" His reply? "No problem, always time for a Hibby." Top lad and top player. Going back next year! :thumbsup:

JimBHibees
21-11-2016, 10:37 AM
I've watched Murray on the telly box since he broke through at his first Wimbledon. I had the pleasure of going to the O2 on Tues and Wed. Watched Djokovic play Raonic on Tues. Both incredible players especially Djokovic who has an unbelievable will to win. Then watched Murray play Nishikori on Wed and it was incredible! I said to the wife watching Andy was like watching Hibs... Always puts you through it! At the end of that match I ran down as close to the players entrance so I could to get a snap and my big tennis ball signed! As he was walking to leave I threw him the ball and shouted "could you sign this for a fellow Hibby?!" His reply? "No problem, always time for a Hibby." Top lad and top player. Going back next year! :thumbsup:

Did he get booed by some of the home fans on Wednesday?

Mikey09
21-11-2016, 10:42 AM
Did he get booed by some of the home fans on Wednesday?

Aye. 2 lads sitting next to us were booing him. A load more "Brits" shouting for Nishikori. To be honest when Murray hears English voices shouting for the other player it inspires him to kick on and silence them.

JimBHibees
21-11-2016, 10:46 AM
Aye. 2 lads sitting next to us were booing him. A load more "Brits" shouting for Nishikori. To be honest when Murray hears English voices shouting for the other player it inspires him to kick on and silence them.

Jeezo how pathetic. Saw on the tv an England flag just behind his coaches box which seemed a bit odd IMO. Why take an England flag to an event where there are no English players.

High-On-Hibs
21-11-2016, 10:52 AM
Jeezo how pathetic. Saw on the tv an England flag just behind his coaches box which seemed a bit odd IMO. Why take an England flag to an event where there are no English players.

Because Britain = England. It always has done and always will do.

Weststandwanab
21-11-2016, 11:01 AM

He defected

Murray tbe greatest ever Sporting Scot now ahead of Chris Hoy.

That gets my vote but saw Hoy recently and when he was asked that very question SCH was of the same opinion that AM was top.

Great story.

The Hibs 2016 way.

Because Britain = England. It always has done and always will do.

If AM was useless he would be Scots apart from AM winning he pain the tennis playing part of Englanshire must be going trough is a joy to observe.

Mikey09
21-11-2016, 11:08 AM

To be honest I don't think it will ever change. They're best ignored. When they were booing him I just shouted for him even louder and when he won I was cheering, whistling and shouting as they skulked away. Murray is a credit to himself, his family and his sport.

beensaidbefore
21-11-2016, 11:38 AM

Not really a comparison between darts and tennis IMO. Physical and mental strength required for tennis is far greater than darts which is essentially a pub game.

cabbageandribs1875
21-11-2016, 11:45 AM
nice gear andy :greengrin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-38048570

High-On-Hibs
21-11-2016, 11:48 AM
Murrays on fire!

http://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/10ABF/production/_92578286_fireinmybelly1.jpg

MoscowHibs
21-11-2016, 12:17 PM
Yeh but Darts isn't a sport. The rule is always If you can play it in the pub its not a sport.

Are you sure aboot that. Boxing is a sport and I've been boxing in the pub before!!!

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-11-2016, 12:32 PM
He defected

He was ranked no.1 in the world at the time though. 5 years in total.

G B Young
21-11-2016, 12:56 PM
Great to see the BBC anchoring their story about both Murray brothers being world No 1s with a pic of a boyhood Andy in his Hibs tracksuit :agree:

G B Young
21-11-2016, 01:00 PM

It's only a tiny minority of bigoted morons these days who don't back him. You just needed to watch the BBC's video of celebrity fans (almost all of them English) wishing him good luck to see how popular he is. And for those who still feel unable to warm to him he continually shuts them up with his incredible performances. Britain is lucky to have such a world-class performer.

High-On-Hibs
21-11-2016, 01:28 PM
It's only a tiny minority of bigoted morons these days who don't back him. You just needed to watch the BBC's video of celebrity fans (almost all of them English) wishing him good luck to see how popular he is. And for those who still feel unable to warm to him he continually shuts them up with his incredible performances. Britain is lucky to have such a world-class performer.

It's not a tiny minority of bigoted morons. There's a deeper hatred down there towards him for daring to express his own political views. As for celebrity fans, they're almost always going to be diplomatic in front of the cameras. Not saying all hate him, but it's certainly more than a tiny minority.

theonlywayisup
21-11-2016, 04:37 PM
Young Andy in a Hibs top

http://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/E58F/production/_92576785_judy1.png

G B Young
21-11-2016, 05:23 PM
It's not a tiny minority of bigoted morons. There's a deeper hatred down there towards him for daring to express his own political views. As for celebrity fans, they're almost always going to be diplomatic in front of the cameras. Not saying all hate him, but it's certainly more than a tiny minority.

I think things have shifted a lot in recent years. Andy has an English wife, lives in England and his pride in playing for Britain at the Olympics and in the Davis Cup is unmistakable. He's also won the BBC sports personality of the year twice (both times by a landslide) and is a shoe-in for a record third award next month. As somebody whose work takes me down south on a regular basis I find that the first thing most English clients bring up when they hear I'm Scottish is Andy Murray and how much they admire him. What surprises me more is actually how many Scots still don't warm to him due to the misconception that he's dour. You'll always get morons who'll cling to long discredited 'facts' to peddle their bitter agenda but they're definitely far outweighed by those who know how to appreciate a world-class sportsman.

The Pointer
21-11-2016, 06:02 PM
I could be mistaken, but on the STV news his grandparents were interviewed and I think there was a glimpse of what could have been a 'Hands off Hibs' cushion between them. Maybe somebody else could confirm.

blackpoolhibs
21-11-2016, 06:18 PM

Was there not a small part of you that wanted to get on that court? :wink:

brog
21-11-2016, 06:41 PM

I don't think it's anything to do with his political views. I live in London & the only negativity I hear from the Engerlish re Andy concerns the ludicrous Sun story about him supporting "anyone but England". That non story has been repeated & distorted ad nauseam & it's now become a "fact" to those who want to believe it.

Scouse Hibee
21-11-2016, 06:49 PM
I don't think it's anything to do with his political views. I live in London & the only negativity I hear from the Engerlish re Andy concerns the ludicrous Sun story about him supporting "anyone but England". That non story has been repeated & distorted ad nauseam & it's now become a "fact" to those who want to believe it.

Agreed that's the only reason I ever hear folk in England being negative about him.

mjhibby
21-11-2016, 08:45 PM
I think the very grudged congratulations by some English people is because it is a Scot who is the best ever tennis player in a sport that is quintessentially English. It is as simple as that. Hes massively admired by most English sportsmen including Mr Gary lineker. All the sarky remarks from down south just makes Andys ascent to the pinnacle all the sweeter.

Halifaxhibby
21-11-2016, 09:05 PM
Ricky burns for me....3 weight world champ. Doesnt get the credit he deserves!!! Fitter than any tennis player and darts player combined!!!

Mikey09
21-11-2016, 09:52 PM
Was there not a small part of you that wanted to get on that court? :wink:

To be honest I was feeling a bit over exuberant... :greengrin

Mikey09
21-11-2016, 09:55 PM
I think the very grudged congratulations by some English people is because it is a Scot who is the best ever tennis player in a sport that is quintessentially English. It is as simple as that. Hes massively admired by most English sportsmen including Mr Gary lineker. All the sarky remarks from down south just makes Andys ascent to the pinnacle all the sweeter.

Absolutely nailed it mate. :top marks

Babyshamble
21-11-2016, 10:06 PM
Of course you are man. Goes without saying!

As you said though. All about opinions.
What Andy Murray has achieved is incredible.At the end of the day we have world champions in darts ,tennis & boxing.its a good discussion to have.Long may it continue.

Galahibby
21-11-2016, 10:06 PM
Great to see the BBC anchoring their story about both Murray brothers being world No 1s with a pic of a boyhood Andy in his Hibs tracksuit :agree:

And both of them in their Christmas jumpers and Hibs hats :thumbsup:

GreenLake
21-11-2016, 10:09 PM
Ricky burns for me....3 weight world champ. Doesnt get the credit he deserves!!! Fitter than any tennis player and darts player combined!!!

Two other belters from your post history....

Monotone murray. A spoilt wee brat who cannot comprehend how lucky he is to do something he loves and paid over the odds but still cant put a smile on his pus!!!. Aye he trained with us once. So what. Just another sports celeb looking for more attention. Him and his racist wife.

Aye his mum would go to the opening of a crisp packet if she thought it would enhance her Celebrity status.
Ken dodd???, bit off the mark mate. Paid millions to be top 5 at best in his field of work

Andy Murray is now paid millions to be number ONE. :na na:

G B Young
22-11-2016, 06:58 AM
There's no one remotely within touching distance of Andy when it comes to the sports personality of the year award. Winning Wimbledon and the Olympics would have been more than enough to secure him that honour for a record third time, but his form throughout the year has been phenomenal. He's won 78 matches, losing just 9. That's a 90% success rate.

Tennis as a sport is underrated in terms of the demands it places on players. It combines incredible fitness, skill, strength, endurance, hand-eye co-ordination, footwork and an exceptional mental effort to achieve consistent success throughout a season which lasts for 10 months of the year. For Andy to have emerged top of the pile during the sport's most competitive ever era is something no British player is likely ever to achieve again.

Jamie should actually be among the nominees for the award too as his own achievements are remarkable enough for a British tennis player, but Andy's success is off the scale.

Mikey09
22-11-2016, 10:16 AM
There's no one remotely within touching distance of Andy when it comes to the sports personality of the year award. Winning Wimbledon and the Olympics would have been more than enough to secure him that honour for a record third time, but his form throughout the year has been phenomenal. He's won 78 matches, losing just 9. That's a 90% success rate.

Tennis as a sport is underrated in terms of the demands it places on players. It combines incredible fitness, skill, strength, endurance, hand-eye co-ordination, footwork and an exceptional mental effort to achieve consistent success throughout a season which lasts for 10 months of the year. For Andy to have emerged top of the pile during the sport's most competitive ever era is something no British player is likely ever to achieve again.

Jamie should actually be among the nominees for the award too as his own achievements are remarkable enough for a British tennis player, but Andy's success is off the scale.

And none of this matters if you can't handle immense pressure. His first grand slam win at the U.S. open proved to some, not all, that he could handle pressure. However his first Wimbledon win rammed their words right down their throats!!

Golden Bear
22-11-2016, 12:31 PM
Seems as though BBC Scotland are still "at it" going by their caption regarding the photograph of Andy and his brother.

Or maybe its me being over sensitive!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland

Hibrandenburg
22-11-2016, 05:04 PM
Seems as though BBC Scotland are still "at it" going by their caption regarding the photograph of Andy and his brother.

No, I think you're spot on. Petty and snide.

mjhibby
22-11-2016, 06:11 PM
Us winning the holy grail then hibby Andy being the best player on the planet has really peed them off. Marvellous.

CropleyWasGod
22-11-2016, 06:37 PM
Us winning the holy grail then hibby Andy being the best player on the planet has really peed them off. Marvellous.
Really?

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Sir David Gray
22-11-2016, 07:08 PM

A comment which he made prior to the 2006 World Cup when he was just 19 years old and followed on from a similarly light hearted remark made by Tim Henman in regards to Scotland's inability to qualify for the World Cup.

That last part in particular is conveniently forgotten about by the media and members of the public who continue to beat him with a stick over that episode.

Marco G
23-11-2016, 12:49 PM

But did you notice on the page of this bbc link there is a story titled - "when Hibs beat the mighty Barcelona"?! So maybe you are over sensitive (?)