PDA

View Full Version : Martin Boyle

Viking
19-11-2016, 03:52 PM
I rate Boyle highly but don't think hes an out and out striker. Hes scored a few recently but has missed so many one on ones and sitters. Would like to see him taking more of a midfield role and get a natural striker back up front.

Highland_Hibee
19-11-2016, 03:54 PM
We are two nill up can we not ******in get on our players backs for one moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AgentDaleCooper
19-11-2016, 03:56 PM
His problem is that he usually just puts his foot through the ball, especially if he doesn't have time to think.

Albanian Hibs
19-11-2016, 03:57 PM
Guy that sits behind me thinks he should be subbed at half time 😂😂😂

AgentDaleCooper

...but yeah, good point. M'ON THE HIBS!!!!!

Viking

Not getting on his back, as ive said i rate him. Just dont think hes playing in his best position. We could be 5-0 up and home and hosed if he was more clinical in front of goal or we had someone that was there.

Viking
19-11-2016, 03:58 PM
Guy that sits behind me thinks he should be subbed at half time 😂😂😂

Haha, that is taking it a bit far!!

Highland_Hibee
19-11-2016, 04:02 PM
Not getting on his back, as ive said i rate him. Just dont think hes playing in his best position. We could be 5-0 up and home and hosed if he was more clinical in front of goal or we had someone that was there.

Sorry folk around me talking sh*** thought you must be one of them. [emoji23] He isn't clinical but Lennon has been experimenting with the line ups to generally great effect. Boyle has been well worth his opportunity.

blackpoolhibs
19-11-2016, 04:04 PM
The two one on ones were his own making, Cummings might have scored the last chance but Boyle has deserved his chance to play up front, he's been scoring and i'd put money on him scoring today too.

tamig
19-11-2016, 06:06 PM
Boyle made a few of the chances today through his own sheer pace. He and Shinnie link up great together. He's not the best when he has too much time to think but so pleased he got his goal eventually today. With that pace he gives us a different dimension through the middle. He has to continue there.

blackpoolhibs
19-11-2016, 06:19 PM
If Lennon wants a big man and a little one up front, i think Boyle would score more goals, and the team would score more goals if he's played up front instead of Cummings.

Libby Hibby
19-11-2016, 06:22 PM
Boyle was good today, chased everything down and linked up well with Graham and Shinnie, he did miss a few today but a couple were decent saves.

I'm glad he got his goal.

On the flip side, I watched Cummings closely for the 20 or so minutes he was on and to me, his body language is all wrong and I would rather have Boyle with Graham / Holt up top.

Bishop Hibee
19-11-2016, 06:23 PM
Boyle missed two great chances and a sitter in the first half. Can't fault his positional sense and he kept at it. His goal was arguably his most difficult chance!

Viva_Palmeiras
19-11-2016, 06:27 PM

Depends who "we" are

J-C
19-11-2016, 06:28 PM
Missed one or two today but his movement and willingness to run and work rate make up for his misses as long as others are scoring. On another day he gets 4 and we'd be singing his name.

Heisenberg
19-11-2016, 06:31 PM
Cummings always needs three or four chances to score once. Boyle is the form player and deserves his place.

Pretty Boy
19-11-2016, 06:33 PM
I'd start him again in a couple of weeks. Worked his socks off, kept getting in good positions and scored a good goal.

I like Cummings but he has to earn his place back in the team. We are scoring goals and winning with him out of the side (last week excepted) and Boyles goalscoring record has been very good. Graham came in today, played well and scored so should keep his place.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
19-11-2016, 06:38 PM
His problem is that he usually just puts his foot through the ball, especially if he doesn't have time to think.

Ironically, that's how he got his goal today.

The laddie's been scoring lately, has a great attitude and gives his all. He's in the team on merit and deserves to stay in. Incidentally, he looks so much better through the middle and there won't be many centre halves in the league that will relish facing his speed and ability to get in behind.

Thecat23
19-11-2016, 06:42 PM
I'd like to personally thank him as I had 4-0 Hibs at 14/1 and if he could finish he'd have scored 4 easily.

Cheers Martin cha-ching!

Golden Bear
19-11-2016, 06:46 PM
Boyle was good today, chased everything down and linked up well with Graham and Shinnie, he did miss a few today but a couple were decent saves.

I'm glad he got his goal.

On the flip side, I watched Cummings closely for the 20 or so minutes he was on and to me, his body language is all wrong and I would rather have Boyle with Graham / Holt up top.

I couldn't see a thing wrong with his body language! The laddie worked his socks off and by that time more often than not he was up front on his own.

Thecat23
19-11-2016, 06:48 PM
I couldn't see a thing wrong with his body language! The laddie worked his socks off and by that time more often than not he was up front on his own.

He actually didn't. He was jogging most of the time where Boyle and Graham were pressing quickly during the game. It may be he thought the games done but he didn't show anything at all that would make me give him a start.

wookie70
19-11-2016, 06:51 PM
I thought Boyle played really well today but his finishing was dreadful. He had 4 excellent chances, one good one and a sitter and managed to score once. I think Graham made a huge difference today. He got the centre halves moving out the middle and gave Boyle channels to run into. I was desperate to get Jason back in but he never looked like he was trying to burst a gut to force Lennon's hand. That being said the whole tempo of the game died off when SJM was subbed. I still see Boyle as a winger but wherever he is going to play he deserves a start on current form.

Tyler Durden
19-11-2016, 06:57 PM
Not that this news to anyone but we're a fickle bunch.

Boyle was played through on goal three times today and missed them all. Probably one in the second half was a pass only he would catch. The others were great balls by Shinnie and maybe Fyvie. One of which Boyle should really have squared to Graham for an open goal. If that was Cummings he would get slated for being greedy.

I think some people would rather have Boyle because he's busy and will chase centre halves all day. If I had to choose I'd rather have Cummings as he's a far better finisher IMO.

As it stands I think both should play. Boyle pushed wider in a 4-3-3.

Nicho87
19-11-2016, 06:58 PM
If you were a centre half who would you rather come up against boyle or cummings? Boyle is a pest from minute one and fully deserves to be one of the first names on the team sheet.

Tyler Durden
19-11-2016, 07:00 PM
He actually didn't. He was jogging most of the time where Boyle and Graham were pressing quickly during the game. It may be he thought the games done but he didn't show anything at all that would make me give him a start.

I would agree re JC but the game died by 75 mins and the rest of the team were going through the motions.

He could certainly have looked livelier though

stoneyburn hibs
19-11-2016, 07:07 PM
He missed a few chances, including a sitter. Delighted for him that he did eventually score. On another day he would have had a hattrick. It's great that he's getting into these positions, still his position to lose.

Tyler Durden
19-11-2016, 07:10 PM
I'd start him again in a couple of weeks. Worked his socks off, kept getting in good positions and scored a good goal.

I like Cummings but he has to earn his place back in the team. We are scoring goals and winning with him out of the side (last week excepted) and Boyles goalscoring record has been very good. Graham came in today, played well and scored so should keep his place.

Graham and Boyle have the jerseys for now on merit. Personally I'd still feel slightly uncomfortable going into our biggest game with those 2 starting though.

Lennon seems to favour work rate over quality. Hopefully he gets the results he's looking for and we get both from Cummings.

Brian Graham simply isn't that good IMO though, he'll struggle against better teams

Golden Bear
19-11-2016, 07:19 PM

Disagree entirely. The whole pattern of play had altered following the departure of Fyvie and Mcginn and there were very few quality balls reaching Cummings, in fact Messi himself wouldn't have done any better.

Thecat23
19-11-2016, 07:21 PM
Disagree entirely. The whole pattern of play had altered following the departure of Fyvie and Mcginn and there were very few quality balls reaching Cummings, in fact Messi himself wouldn't have done any better.

I reckon Messi might have! 😁

Thecat23
19-11-2016, 07:22 PM
I would agree re JC but the game died by 75 mins and the rest of the team were going through the motions.

He could certainly have looked livelier though

Yep for someone who's been sidelined I was thinking he'd be up for it more. Didn't do anything wrong but never pressed like Graham and Boyle.

SlickShoes
19-11-2016, 07:25 PM
We've been playing far better since Boyle has been up front so keep him up there for now.

LaMotta
19-11-2016, 07:36 PM
I rate Boyle highly but don't think hes an out and out striker. Hes scored a few recently but has missed so many one on ones and sitters. Would like to see him taking more of a midfield role and get a natural striker back up front.

Out and out striker is by far and away his best position. He wont score every chance but his pace means he will get plenty of chances that others wouldnt.

Keep playing him up there.

Highland_Hibee
19-11-2016, 07:42 PM
Out and out striker is by far and away his best position. He wont score every chance but his pace means he will get plenty of chances that others wouldnt.

This. I'm happy where he is. If he had pace and was finishing every chance he gets then he wouldn't have been on our bench for so long. He's not perfect but he makes an absolute menace of himself at every opportunity.

northstandhibby
19-11-2016, 07:47 PM

:top marks

blackpoolhibs
19-11-2016, 07:56 PM
Boyle causes opposition defenses much more problems than Cummings does, while Cummings when scoring is a very good goalscorer, Boyle is much more than that.

Of course Boyle is not the finished article, but i'd put money on Boyle being our top scorer if he's played up front, and he'd also create quite a few too.

Folk are going on as if Cummings never misses, of course he does just as Boyle will too. Cummings needs to take his chance the next time it comes along, but for the moment Boyle has that jersey.

Golden Bear
19-11-2016, 07:58 PM
Boyle causes opposition defenses much more problems than Cummings does, while Cummings when scoring is a very good goalscorer, Boyle is much more than that.

Of course Boyle is not the finished article, but i'd put money on Boyle being our top scorer if he's played up front, and he'd also create quite a few too.

Folk are going on as if Cummings never misses, of course he does just as Boyle will too. Cummings needs to take his chance the next time it comes along, but for the moment Boyle has that jersey.

Fair comment.

eastcoasthibby
19-11-2016, 07:58 PM
I for one was /am frustrated at the 3 chances missed in the first half ...and another 1on 1 with keeper in second half very wasteful ..! Took his goal well..I think it's like night and day between him and Cummings just now , his pace and work ethic are miles better than Cummings, and yes his pace creates chances, so I think he more than deserves his starting slot just now...gives the team much more than JC ...
While touching on JC I thought his,attitude and workrate when he came on was poor ..I would have expected him to burst a gut when getting on ..to try and show ..but for me that wasn't the case ! Maybe wrong but I expected more from hom ...so supporting NL's selection decisions just now .

O'Rourke3
19-11-2016, 08:03 PM
Boyle could have and should have scored a hat trick today but taking 1 in 5 is the same scoring rate as Jason. 2 Excellent saves, a sitter and a great save when a square ball would have had one walked in means he's still got some decision making to consider. That said his finish was top drawer. I actually thought Lennon would swap Jason for Boyle after the miss at the end of the first.

When was the last time anyone saw a squirrel and a fox on the pitch?

J-C
19-11-2016, 10:35 PM
Boyle runs the channels far better than Jason, and with Shinnie started to look the player we expected, the number of balls played through into Boyle he could've had 5 today, when we win 4-0 and Boyle scores 1 in 5, his work ethic and intelligent running will see him in front of Jason until he loses form.

Dashing Bob S
19-11-2016, 11:03 PM

Yes, they bring different things to the table and it's up to Cummings to win the jersey back. If a player had Boyle's pace and Cummings predatory instincts, they wouldn't be in the Scottish championship.

fishybeaver
20-11-2016, 12:13 AM
Boyle was poor today, finishing was awful!!

southern hibby
20-11-2016, 12:40 AM

Your untitled to your opinion as I am mine and it divers quite a bit from yours.

GGTTH

The Green Goblin
20-11-2016, 12:47 AM
Depends who "we" are

:agree:

MWHIBBIES
20-11-2016, 12:48 AM
I do think Cummings at his best is a better player, he will be back and better than before. Happy for Boyle and hope he keeps it up.

Big90inOz
20-11-2016, 01:50 AM
For me its Boyle all day long, we are a far better team with Boyle in the side

He harasses and chases the whole game, typical pest but with blistering pace who centre halfs will hate. Yes he misses chances but its his work rate and pace which creates those chances. He is a far better footballer than Cummiins, as for finishing I'm unsure as Cummins misses his fair chances too.

I was interested to watch Cummins when he got his chance, in my opinion he blew it. He wasn't running the channels, he was not chasing down the ball and then the hands went on the hips and that was enough for me.The guy looks like a player who believes he does enough when he doesn't.

J-C
20-11-2016, 03:42 AM

You're at it, yes he missed a few chances but his overall game was superb, ran all the channels, harassed and work his socks off, give me that commitment everyday compared to someone moaning with his hands on hips not getting his way.

HoboHarry
20-11-2016, 04:00 AM
[QUOTE=fishybeaver;4862345]Boyle was poor today, finishing was awful!![/QUOTE

I am all for free speech and I wholeheartedly defend your inalienable right to talk crap........

Scott Allan Key
20-11-2016, 06:17 AM
Boyle could have and should have scored a hat trick today but taking 1 in 5 is the same scoring rate as Jason. 2 Excellent saves, a sitter and a great save when a square ball would have had one walked in means he's still got some decision making to consider. That said his finish was top drawer. I actually thought Lennon would swap Jason for Boyle after the miss at the end of the first.

When was the last time anyone saw a squirrel and a fox on the pitch?

I fully expected a bunny to turn up too, as the referee looked like Elmer Fudd from my vantage point.

Albanian Hibs
20-11-2016, 08:20 AM

Nonsense

calumhibee1
20-11-2016, 08:33 AM
For me its Boyle all day long, we are a far better team with Boyle in the side

He harasses and chases the whole game, typical pest but with blistering pace who centre halfs will hate. Yes he misses chances but its his work rate and pace which creates those chances. He is a far better footballer than Cummiins, as for finishing I'm unsure as Cummins misses his fair chances too.

I was interested to watch Cummins when he got his chance, in my opinion he blew it. He wasn't running the channels, he was not chasing down the ball and then the hands went on the hips and that was enough for me.The guy looks like a player who believes he does enough when he doesn't.

While I agree Boyle deserves to keep the jersey he's definitely not a better footballer than Cummings. Would Boyle be playing football at this level without his pace? No chance. As for missing chances, yes, Cummings does miss chances, but there's not a chance in hell he'd have missed ALL the chances Boyle missed yesterday. One, possibly. Two on a really bad day. Never all 3 of the sitters Boyle missed. This actually reads as a scathing criticism of Boyle which it's most definitely not as I've loved watching Boyle play well and hope he continues to. Just find it baffling the amount of times I've read on here that Jason is a crap footballer.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
20-11-2016, 08:37 AM
While I agree Boyle deserves to keep the jersey he's definitely not a better footballer than Cummings. Would Boyle be playing football at this level without his pace? No chance. As for missing chances, yes, Cummings does miss chances, but there's not a chance in hell he'd have missed ALL the chances Boyle missed yesterday. One, possibly. Two on a really bad day. Never all 3 of the sitters Boyle missed. This actually reads as a scathing criticism of Boyle which it's most definitely not as I've loved watching Boyle play well and hope he continues to. Just find it baffling the amount of times I've read on here that Jason is a crap footballer.

What a strange point.

Would cummings be playing at this level without scoring goals?

Cummingsis a good goalscorer, but i actually dont rate him too highly as a technical footballer. Very rarely see great skill, libk up or technique from him. Its not his game.

lucky
20-11-2016, 08:53 AM
Boyle continued to work hard even though his finishing was poor and eventually he got his reward.

Gmack7
20-11-2016, 09:19 AM
Play Boyle and Cummings up front?

MacGruber
20-11-2016, 09:28 AM
No idea why some have Cummings and Boyle as an either or. Boyle is lightning quick, Cummings is our top goalscorer. I would have them both in the team.
Don't really get the missed chances talk either, everyone misses chances.
Cummings bagged about 30 last season - and he gets stick for needing somewhere between 1 & 5 chances to score. We'd be content then once he scores with all his efforts which would be 100+ goals a season presumably. Until then he's out the team because of poor technical ability. Even though the hardest part of the game is putting the ball in the net. It's a complicated game right enough.

Libby Hibby
20-11-2016, 09:30 AM
Play Boyle and Cummings up front?

Why? Team are scoring and creating much more without Cummings in the side. Which is unfortunate for JC.

I don't think there should be clamour to get Cummings back in the side without any particular reason to do so, Lennon wants a great work ethic in his forwards, Cummings was given the warning public ally after QOS away but perhaps privately, the management team have already spoken to him, he didn't heed the warning, so he's benched. There is nothing simpler in football.

Also, if you don't play well, you're out...just ask Holt.

Brightside
20-11-2016, 09:33 AM
Boyle work rate is top notch. Thats why he has that role and he will keep it. I wouldnt have dropped Holt tho. Graham was too deep for a lot of the game.
Cummings came on and you quickly saw why Boyle is keeping him out of the team.

Gmack7
20-11-2016, 09:49 AM
Why? Team are scoring and creating much more without Cummings in the side. Which is unfortunate for JC.

I don't think there should be clamour to get Cummings back in the side without any particular reason to do so, Lennon wants a great work ethic in his forwards, Cummings was given the warning public ally after QOS away but perhaps privately, the management team have already spoken to him, he didn't heed the warning, so he's benched. There is nothing simpler in football.

While we're in 2nd tier we should be able to play with 3 forwards particularly at ER. Most teams aren't interested in attacking so we need more offensive players on the park. All IMO ofcourse

Big L
20-11-2016, 11:07 AM
Teams always play the big man wee man, but I would like to see Boyle and Cummings play together. Maybe try it against one of the lower teams in the Div to see how it goes! We used to play O' Connor and Riordan!

JimBHibees
20-11-2016, 11:16 AM
Boyle continued to work hard even though his finishing was poor and eventually he got his reward.

Glad that he scored worked very hard and kept making runs. Brave performance.

Stantons Angel
20-11-2016, 11:30 AM
C

Then why is our top scorer sitting on the bench? Because he has been missing so many of these chances too. Boyle has been given a chance and has taken it with glee!

Having scored in each of our last three games he has shown his determination and ability to harass the opposition defences and make them make mistakes.

Let the manager decide where he thinks he is better being played, he is there to do these things.

We won 4-0 in front of a 14k crowd ltoday lets keep the goodwill going a wee while longer and enjoy the football !

Allant1981
20-11-2016, 11:31 AM

Amazes me what people see in a game, thought he played well, and his finish was cracking so not really awful

fishybeaver
20-11-2016, 11:58 AM
You're at it, yes he missed a few chances but his overall game was superb, ran all the channels, harassed and work his socks off, give me that commitment everyday compared to someone moaning with his hands on hips not getting his way.
A striker that misses five clear cut chances and tap in hasn't had a great game imo.

blackpoolhibs
20-11-2016, 12:07 PM

I have to disagree with some of that, Cummings for me is an average footballer who is a very good goalscorer when on form.

Scotland has been littered with similar types, Boyd, McCoist, Robertson and the likes.

Cummings first touch is average at best, he's not very strong on the ball and he's not that good in the air. Boyle in my opinion is a bit stronger, who's first touch is a bit better and where they are similar is in the air.

Boyle wins hands down with his pace, and again only my opinion, but i think Boyle brings more to the team than Jason by creating more, and for me will score just as many if not more than Cummings if he's played in that forward position.

I can see the improvement in Boyle this season, it could be he's more confident because he's scoring and keeping his place, rather than being in and out of the side like he has been since signing?

Where they both go from here is anyone's guess, but they are both still young and hopefully will keep on improving.

erin-go-bragh87
20-11-2016, 02:42 PM
I have to disagree with some of that, Cummings for me is an average footballer who is a very good goalscorer when on form.

Scotland has been littered with similar types, Boyd, McCoist, Robertson and the likes.

Cummings first touch is average at best, he's not very strong on the ball and he's not that good in the air. Boyle in my opinion is a bit stronger, who's first touch is a bit better and where they are similar is in the air.

Boyle wins hands down with his pace, and again only my opinion, but i think Boyle brings more to the team than Jason by creating more, and for me will score just as many if not more than Cummings if he's played in that forward position.

I can see the improvement in Boyle this season, it could be he's more confident because he's scoring and keeping his place, rather than being in and out of the side like he has been since signing?

Where they both go from here is anyone's guess, but they are both still young and hopefully will keep on improving.

Couldn't agree more. Boyle has far more of a "spark" about him and brings alot more to the team.

CentreLine
20-11-2016, 03:12 PM

I thought Boyle was outstanding yesterday and my MotM. Yes he failed to score four chances but we also have to credit their keeper who had a great game. That is depite conceding 4, one of which came from the very same Squirrel. Boyle gets in to great positions and will convert plenty IMHO. The one disappointing incident for me was when he failed to feed Graham in but the boy is a great asset to us and proved it yesterday once more.

The Leith Dutch
21-11-2016, 08:56 AM

Spot on :)
Last line in particular - Lennon seems to have this part of management down.
Play well or you're out in combination with motivating the guys who are not playing.

Boyle got a chance and grabbed it with both hands.
Loved Graham's goal as that chance got lost if he was "nice".

Over to Holt and Cummings to do similar anytime they get a chance.

Hibbyradge
21-11-2016, 09:39 AM
Cummings always needs three or four chances to score once. Boyle is the form player and deserves his place.

How many did Boyle miss before he scored?

Big90inOz
21-11-2016, 09:53 AM
Take away Cummins goals and he brings very little to the team. Skill wise and football brain, he isn't improving
Unless he pulls his head in and start working he will disappear after his next move

biotech
21-11-2016, 11:04 AM
Football is a squad game and both Boyle and Cummings can make a contribution in 90 minutes. Alternatively, Lennon may well adopt a rotation system.