PDA

View Full Version : Southampton and their black box

LustForLeith
19-11-2016, 10:35 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37954971

Interesting article on Southampton who despite seem to be losing their best players and their managers in recent years have still managed to maintain their level of results.

The ‘black box’ is an interesting idea. Part of me thinks it should be common sense, the ability to identify replacements for anyone at the club in case the person leaves the club. But clearly it doesn’t happen as much as it should!

Brooster
19-11-2016, 10:39 AM
Interesting article and absolutely the correct approach. Hibs do the same, have done since Stubbs came in.

Andy74
19-11-2016, 11:02 AM
Interesting article and absolutely the correct approach. Hibs do the same, have done since Stubbs came in.

Probably more accurately since Dempster and Craig came in. I think this approach was happening regardless of who the manager was they appointed.

Brooster
19-11-2016, 11:15 AM
Probably more accurately since Dempster and Craig came in. I think this approach was happening regardless of who the manager was they appointed.

Fair comment Andy.

CentreLine
19-11-2016, 12:46 PM
Was so impressed at the AGM with how far our club has come since LD's arrival. The quality of some of the people in the background is incredible. If they live up to expectations expectations we have a great future ahead for our club

hibs#1
19-11-2016, 06:16 PM
Think it's important for us to have something like this setup if players or managers do well we will never be able to keep them so having a good succession plan in place is imperative I would include dempster and the other behind the scenes guys and girls in that aswell.

Ozyhibby
19-11-2016, 07:53 PM
That has been the plan since Geirge Craig came in. It should not matter who leaves, they should have a replacement lined up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tyler Durden
19-11-2016, 08:12 PM
It's early days but not sure there's much evidence of Hibs scouting having identified players as yet.

Majority of Stubbs and Lennons signings were known to them already. There's something far wrong if we don't have 2/3 left backs/midfielders lined up for example

jacomo
19-11-2016, 11:02 PM
Before Les Reed joined them, Southampton had already invested heavily in their youth set up. They have a huge catchment area and its relatively easy for them to attract good young players.

He has done well, and I like the system though. I can't understand why every club doesn't work like this.

Marco G
20-11-2016, 08:02 AM
It's early days but not sure there's much evidence of Hibs scouting having identified players as yet.

Majority of Stubbs and Lennons signings were known to them already. There's something far wrong if we don't have 2/3 left backs/midfielders lined up for example
The point is that it happens behind the scenes. E.g. we knew we needed a GK and siging Marciano and Laidlaw looks like a good move. Eardsley is signed as cover. Shinnie is a good signing. You wont know who we have spotted until we sign them and that is how a proper professional outfit does it!

lucky
20-11-2016, 08:39 AM

Hibs use a smaller version of this system and it helped us win the Scottish cup. How else do you think we'd have known about the legend that is Conrad Longan

Tyler Durden
20-11-2016, 11:09 AM
The point is that it happens behind the scenes. E.g. we knew we needed a GK and siging Marciano and Laidlaw looks like a good move. Eardsley is signed as cover. Shinnie is a good signing. You wont know who we have spotted until we sign them and that is how a proper professional outfit does it!

Yes I appreciate how a scouting network operates.

Southampton's has clearly worked well. As I said, little evidence yet that Hibs has. Time will tell.

Marciano came via Lennons existing relationship with the Israeli agent I believe. Laidlaw probably recommended by Grant Murray. Logan was a punt by Stubbs/Doolan. Shinnie, Graham, Holt...personally don't believe any came from our scouting system.

It's pretty clear we need left sided players to compete with Lewis. Let's see in January/June what we come up with.

Marco G
20-11-2016, 11:16 AM

Southampton's has clearly worked well. As I said, little evidence yet that Hibs has. Time will tell.

Marciano came via Lennons existing relationship with the Israeli agent I believe. Laidlaw probably recommended by Grant Murray. Logan was a punt by Stubbs/Doolan. Shinnie, Graham, Holt...personally don't believe any came from our scouting system.

It's pretty clear we need left sided players to compete with Lewis. Let's see in January/June what we come up with.
Fine, you can update us once you think it is or isnt working then!

PISTOL1875
20-11-2016, 02:41 PM

If crane was ever given some game time then we'd see how good he could be and maybe save ourselves a bit of cash. Yesterday would've been the perfect chance to do this.

offshorehibby
20-11-2016, 04:06 PM
If crane was ever given some game time then we'd see how good he could be and maybe save ourselves a bit of cash. Yesterday would've been the perfect chance to do this.

Although not at the game i would have thought yesterday would have been a good time to give Crane some game time.

PISTOL1875
20-11-2016, 04:27 PM
Although not at the game i would have thought yesterday would have been a good time to give Crane some game time.

Especially after we went 4-0 up with so long to go.

Billy Whizz
20-11-2016, 05:11 PM

Possibly would have, if we hadn't picked up injuries to Fyvie and McGinn