PDA

View Full Version : Possible to trouble ahead

Ozyhibby
18-11-2016, 10:51 PM
http://linkis.com/sportbusiness.com/302qz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viva_Palmeiras
18-11-2016, 11:54 PM
For one 5h1&&&y corporation to have such inflience and effectively be King makers means the Associations have been chasing a buck over long term stability. Got into bed now need to lie in it.

NAE NOOKIE
19-11-2016, 01:15 AM
http://linkis.com/sportbusiness.com/302qz

Cant access the article :dunno:

Pete
19-11-2016, 01:28 AM

Me neither. Says I need a subscription.

silverhibee
19-11-2016, 01:32 AM

Same

Viva_Palmeiras
19-11-2016, 05:58 AM
They must have realised their mistake or you only get to read one article.'
Something about Sky (the "Pan European broadcaster") being more selective about which games it's shows as the trends show that those pesky kids are more interested in watching snippets of matches and more interested in films/entertainment on mobile device than full length games (shorter attention spans?) probably a consequence of over saturation of football. So that (entertainment/films) is where Sky will invest. Perhaps a sign of the rise of the Box set and Netflix/Amazon consumption of digital services?

Caused b whom...? But the public gets what the public wants - that's entertainment...

Fwiw - whilst you can to an extent understand that football associations follow the money, what goes up must come down - and everything connected to football has inflated beyond belief (wages, transfers, STs, tickets) off the back of this money. But is it sustainable?

Pushing up the fees to me - and Sky are complicit - has lead the associations (let's pick the FA) on a merry dance played to the pied piper tune of Sky (with a view to being too expensive for competitors) but now the lemmings (100 percenters clubs) have chased the cash and can't afford not to be in the top league (hence parachute payments).

I've always felt that there will be a massive correction (you'll find it scattered through my ramblings over the years) just like house prices. If it turns clubs face going to the wall and fall like a house of cards - Sky and the broadcasters will make the money talk and influence the formations of leagues (big clubs only need alpply)

If this transpires the FA will have favoured the "development of the [upper echelons] game" over sustainability of the game and it's a massive fail on their part.

northstandhibby
19-11-2016, 07:42 AM
They must have realised their mistake or you only get to read one article.'
Something about Sky (the "Pan European broadcaster") being more selective about which games it's shows as the trends show that those pesky kids are more interested in watching snippets of matches and more interested in films/entertainment on mobile device than full length games (shorter attention spans?) probably a consequence of over saturation of football. So that (entertainment/films) is where Sky will invest. Perhaps a sign of the rise of the Box set and Netflix/Amazon consumption of digital services?

Caused b whom...? But the public gets what the public wants - that's entertainment...

Fwiw - whilst you can to an extent understand that football associations follow the money, what goes up must come down - and everything connected to football has inflated beyond belief (wages, transfers, STs, tickets) off the back of this money. But is it sustainable?

Pushing up the fees to me - and Sky are complicit - has lead the associations (let's pick the FA) on a merry dance played to the pied piper tune of Sky (with a view to being too expensive for competitors) but now the lemmings (100 percenters clubs) have chased the cash and can't afford not to be in the top league (hence parachute payments).

I've always felt that there will be a massive correction (you'll find it scattered through my ramblings over the years) just like house prices. If it turns clubs face going to the wall and fall like a house of cards - Sky and the broadcasters will make the money talk and influence the formations of leagues (big clubs only need alpply)

If this transpires the FA will have favoured the "development of the [upper echelons] game" over sustainability of the game and it's a massive fail on their part.

A lot of people have become very rich while neglecting the overall good of the game. Sky now have virtually all of sports major competitions contracted to them and have gone off-stream to a large section of the common man or women who can't afford Sky or don't want to pay them for it on top of a licence or just simply cannot be bothered with the hassle of signing up with them and negotiating their way through the myriad number of 'deals'.

As soon as popular sports or programs are removed from what some people class as 'council tv' which is what the majority of licence payers watch it becomes elitist and sooner or later the bubble will burst as people become bored of mostly solitary watching football in the house with not many other people to chat to about it as not everyone has Sky.

They start sounding like a football bore obsessed with Real Sociadad or some other foreign team they happen to have watched. They evolve into football anoraks who could rattle of the Paris St Germain team and people begin avoiding them as who really wants to listen to someone who has become obsessed with Sky football and wants everyone to know about it.

The bubble will burst to a large extent but will settle down again as there is far to much money for the vultures to make to let football die a death.

Ozyhibby
19-11-2016, 08:18 AM
It's already happened in our house to a certain extent. When we got Netflix and Amazon we cut back on sky to the basic package.
If there is a big match on, my son watches on his iPad with his gran's skygo log in.

Hibby Bairn
19-11-2016, 09:01 AM
I've always wondered why BBC don't set up a not for profit Sports channel. Funded either via increased licence fee or separate subscription (affordable) and target the things the whole country wants to see and which would broaden interest and participation.

Jack
19-11-2016, 09:28 AM
It's already happened in our house to a certain extent. When we got Netflix and Amazon we cut back on sky to the basic package.
If there is a big match on, my son watches on his iPad with his gran's skygo log in.

We're the same to some extent although we're on a basic Virgin package £70 a month.

Folk are beginning to realise £100 plus quite a lot is just a ridiculous amount for watching the telly and, as you say, there are lots of options for watching the whole range of what sky offer at a fraction of their prices.

We're having a good look at alternative packages and reckon we could get what we have for around half of what we're paying while at the same time adding other stuff we don't have at the moment.

I suspect Virgin (and Sky) will be getting lots of calls like mine, under £40 or we're off.

Betty Boop
19-11-2016, 09:34 AM
Kodi

southern hibby
19-11-2016, 10:04 AM
I got a really good deal from Sky through friends and family package. Once this contract runs out I've decided they can do one. Same package would cost me two and a half times more if I didn't have this package.

Paying for Chelsea, Man City Man U etc etc etc. while these clubs get richer and Scottish football is not worthy of a deal.

I honest to god hope the bubble truly bursts and football goes back to where it belongs the pay at the gate fans who are the bread and butter of the sport.

GGTTH

gaz1875
19-11-2016, 10:17 AM
I switched from Sky to BT because of the "Free" BT Sport. best thing I have done, as well as saving money and supporting a company that actually shows Scottish games, I have avoided the football saturation of the so called big matches. The highlight show if they find any, on Saturday and Sunday evenings more than suffice. And I now get the Champion League games to boot.

DavieRoy
19-11-2016, 10:32 AM
I switched from Sky to BT because of the "Free" BT Sport. best thing I have done, as well as saving money and supporting a company that actually shows Scottish games, I have avoided the football saturation of the so called big matches. The highlight show if they find any, on Saturday and Sunday evenings more than suffice. And I now get the Champion League games to boot.

My BT Sport cost £26. I am thinking of binning it. I have it just as an add on.

You say support a company that shows Scottish football, I did a study, Sky show 30 league games, 9 in the Scottish Cup plus Scotland's qualifiers and home friendlies. Maybe 50 a season. BT have 30 League games and 13 in the League Cup.

I am a Scotland fan and we weren't in the League Cup, so it is Sky for me. I was reading an article that Sky put double in that BT do for the League contract (although an overhang from the ESPN contract).

The funny thing is that Sky put in more pro-rata for the Scottish Cup than they do the League and BT put in pro-rata more for the League Cup than they do the League.

High-On-Hibs
19-11-2016, 11:23 AM
I pay 50 quid a year to some guy and have never looked back. :cb

Renfrew_Hibby
19-11-2016, 11:34 AM
I've always wondered why BBC don't set up a not for profit Sports channel. Funded either via increased licence fee or separate subscription (affordable) and target the things the whole country wants to see and which would broaden interest and participation.

Great... Lots of BDO darts, the English women's premier league, lawn bowles from Yarmouth and show jumping from Sandringham or somewhere like that.

gaz1875
19-11-2016, 11:40 AM
My BT Sport cost £26. I am thinking of binning it. I have it just as an add on.

You say support a company that shows Scottish football, I did a study, Sky show 30 league games, 9 in the Scottish Cup plus Scotland's qualifiers and home friendlies. Maybe 50 a season. BT have 30 League games and 13 in the League Cup.

I am a Scotland fan and we weren't in the League Cup, so it is Sky for me. I was reading an article that Sky put double in that BT do for the League contract (although an overhang from the ESPN contract).

The funny thing is that Sky put in more pro-rata for the Scottish Cup than they do the League and BT put in pro-rata more for the League Cup than they do the League.

Interesting stats, its possibly saving £30 a month that blinkered my view lol, I tried to find info but nothing really showing mostly mentions EPL matches. I did find this; Which varies slightly with your info although I guess games get added depending on fixture cancellations etc.

Live Scottish football on TV includes 58 matches from the Scottish Premiership (SPL) with Sky Sports showing 25 matches, BT Sport showing 30 matches and BBC ALBA showing three matches. Sky Sports and BT Sport also show coverage of the SPFL covering 70 live matches between them.
Live coverage of the Scottish FA Cup is shared between BBC Scotland and Sky Sports, with both televising the Scottish FA Cup final. The Scottish League Cup including the Scottish League Cup final is shown on BT Sport. BBC ALBA screens sixteen live matches from the SPFL as well as live coverage of Scottish Junior Cup. Coverage of the revamped Scottish Challenge Cup will be shared between BBC ALBA, S4C and Premier Sports".

Tinribs
19-11-2016, 11:51 AM
I get free BT sport for the full term of my mobile phone contract with EE. Not to everyone's taste watching a match on a six inch screen, but I find it ok to be honest.

LustForLeith
19-11-2016, 12:40 PM
I heard a few years ago from someone in the know that Sky whiel it wasn't in trouble was losing money at a rapid rate. A bit thing is watching catch up programmes with no ads or fast forwarding them if you've recorded it. Advertisers are currently wanting to pay less whihc means Sky has less money to spend. Not sure how true this is.

Another thing of interest is the advent of watching football clips on social media. My son is ten years old and until last summer had no interest in watching or playing football. He's now Hibs (glory hunter!)/football daft and a lot of that is down to YouTube.

When he first got into football he started to watch clips by freestylers and the likes of Hastag United whicc as far as I can tell is a pub team set up by a bunch of professional YouTubers.

These videos get a mad amount of subscribers and viewers and I think all media platforms such as Sky are maybe either worried about this or working out how they too can get in on the aciton.

Would be good to see a club like Hibs embrace this with their own channel on YouTube. Apologies if it already exists!

High-On-Hibs
19-11-2016, 12:53 PM
Subscription channels shouldn't have any adverts. People pay stupid money each and every month for these channels and are still bombarded with adverts. The ads encouraging/brainwashing people to gamble at every sporting opportunity make me just a little uncomfortable. There was a time when such a thing would never have been allowed to be advertised on TV, but it's all about just how much they can rake in off people now.

When they say they're struggling, what they really mean is, they're struggling to feed their habits of greed.

Lago
19-11-2016, 01:06 PM
Bought a 'NOW' box no subscription can have a 24hr pass for £6.50 on Sky sports. Good value.

Bishop Hibee
19-11-2016, 01:26 PM
Loads of people watch via illegal streaming sites, dodgy tv plug-ins or apps. I'm watching Man Utd v Arsenal via an app on my iPhone. That said, I read that the EPL have just signed a deal with China doubling the money they'll get. The gravy train's not derailed yet.

DavieRoy
19-11-2016, 01:35 PM
Interesting stats, its possibly saving £30 a month that blinkered my view lol, I tried to find info but nothing really showing mostly mentions EPL matches. I did find this; Which varies slightly with your info although I guess games get added depending on fixture cancellations etc.

Live Scottish football on TV includes 58 matches from the Scottish Premiership (SPL) with Sky Sports showing 25 matches, BT Sport showing 30 matches and BBC ALBA showing three matches. Sky Sports and BT Sport also show coverage of the SPFL covering 70 live matches between them.
Live coverage of the Scottish FA Cup is shared between BBC Scotland and Sky Sports, with both televising the Scottish FA Cup final. The Scottish League Cup including the Scottish League Cup final is shown on BT Sport. BBC ALBA screens sixteen live matches from the SPFL as well as live coverage of Scottish Junior Cup. Coverage of the revamped Scottish Challenge Cup will be shared between BBC ALBA, S4C and Premier Sports".

Some of that is out of date.

When the old SPL was in breach of their contract in 2012 (no Old Firm) they had to renegotiate. ESPN, now BT, got an extra 10 Rangers games in the lower league while Sky just swapped 5 Premiership games for 5 Rangers games, hence BT went to 70 and Sky stayed at 30. That has gone now, both are back at 30 each with the ability to take Championship games this season, as already proved.

The SPFL need to keep both sweet, and have a product worth bidding for. They need both channels to bid against each other to bump the price up next time. If one feels it is not worth it, the other can get the rights for a low price, with nobody bidding against them.

Look at the League selling off the Premiership Playoffs, they expected a few companies to bid and only BT did and they got it for relatively cheap.