PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Hibs performance in a run of the mill match

The Sundance Kid
18-11-2016, 09:01 PM
Was looking through some old Hibs programmes of mine and came across one from Fir Park in what was one of John Collins' first games as Hibs manager. I remember us absolutely destroying Motherwell 6-1 that day and the scoreline really flattered them. Beuzelin (who I think had not long returned from a lengthy lay off) gave a midfield masterclass that Pirlo would have been delighted with and I think Sproule got a double. Pretty sure their manager was Maurice Malpas and after the game said something along the lines of wishing he had been up in the stand so he could enjoy the Hibs performance, which summed up how good we were and how motivational a manager he was :wink: In the grand scheme of things it was just another 3 points against a poor side but the way we played that day has meant that I still remember it really fondly about a decade later

Anyway, got me wondering what are people's favourite Hibs performance that didn't come in a big game, so not including Semi/Cup Finals, Edinburgh derbies, European games, matches against the Old Firm etc. but rather just in a run of the mill match.

H18 SFR
18-11-2016, 09:12 PM
I recall a game at Easter Road before we played AEK Athens. I think we won either 4-0 or 4-1. The big guy Smart scored then kicked the hell out of the advertiser hoardings. Masterclass of a performance.

Ringothedog
18-11-2016, 09:15 PM
I recall a game at Easter Road before we played AEK Athens. I think we won either 4-0 or 4-1. The big guy Smart scored then kicked the hell out of the advertiser hoardings. Masterclass of a performance.

Eh ?

Sir David Gray
18-11-2016, 09:19 PM

Eh ?

4-0 v St Johnstone in between the two legs v AEK Athens.

Allan Smart scored our fourth goal that day.

Smartie
18-11-2016, 09:19 PM
I remember us beating St Mirren 5-0 at Easter Road around that time as well (not sure if it was under Mowbray or Collins but it was that kind of time).

John Potter was playing for St Mirren that day and I remember speaking to him a few weeks after it. He said that Hibs were the best team he'd come up against around that time (including the OF and HMFC who all had very decent sides) and that we were absolutely hellish to play against as we had so many quick, mobile, young players appearing out of nowhere.

Broken Gnome
18-11-2016, 09:25 PM
Beating Dundee 3-0 in the last game of the old main stand.

Second half of the 4-2 Kilmarnock game in 2005. First half wasn't even that bad.

Proctor in charge for a 4-0 win at East End Park was probably the pick.

Bishop Hibee
18-11-2016, 09:28 PM
First game of season 91/92. A 4-1 home win v St Mirren. The season before we'd scored a grand total of 24 goals in the league although incredibly we didn't finish bottom. We rolled up to ER expecting more of the same but instead Mickey Weir ran riot scoring 2 with Pat McGinley scoring the other 2. No-one could quite believe what they were seeing!

H18 SFR
18-11-2016, 09:30 PM
4-0 v St Johnstone in between the two legs v AEK Athens.

Allan Smart scored our fourth goal that day.

That's the one.

Mr White
18-11-2016, 09:35 PM
First game of season 91/92. A 4-1 home win v St Mirren. The season before we'd scored a grand total of 24 goals in the league although incredibly we didn't finish bottom. We rolled up to ER expecting more of the same but instead Mickey Weir ran riot scoring 2 with Pat McGinley scoring the other 2. No-one could quite believe what they were seeing!
:agree:
A great game and the start of a wonderful if short lived period for the club after such a horrific couple of years. And the first time we saw the famous budgie warm up and lap of honour :greengrin

Mikey_1875
18-11-2016, 10:03 PM
Beating Livingston 7-0 at ER. And the game around Xmas time when we beat Dundee Utd 4-1 both great games and a great atmosphere.

Craigmount Hibs
18-11-2016, 10:13 PM
First game of the 1994 season at home to Dundee Utd. They'd won the Scottish Cup in their last game and despite the 2-3 month gap were justifiably confident. We pumped them 5-0.

brog
18-11-2016, 10:16 PM
Going way back, beating Third Lanark 8-4 at ER. Thirds went 1 up early on then Joe B scored a hat trick in 3 minutes. Joe went on to score 5 & Ronnie Simpson saved 2 pens as well! 2nd best would be the 6-5 game at Dunfy when we were 4-0 & 5-2 up before being pegged back then scoring an outrageously fluky winner.

Big_D
18-11-2016, 10:20 PM
2016 Cup Final

brog
18-11-2016, 10:27 PM

I was in Majorca & went into a Scottish bar to get the football scores. The barmaid asked me which team I wanted. I said Hibs, she said we won 4-1 & then produced a Hibs strip from behind the bar! Bar may have been called McTavishes & was run by an ex Berwick player & big Hibby, possibly Tom Lumsden? Think it was Keith Wright's debut.

Hibby Bairn
18-11-2016, 10:33 PM
5-2 v Dundee. Circa 1979. Ralph Callachan mazy goal.

And 6-1 away v Motherwell. Collins first game in charge I think.

Frazerbob
18-11-2016, 10:47 PM
Beating Killie 8-1 at Easter Road, early 80's or Dundee 5-1 (or was it 5-2?), the Didier Agathe game.

Diclonius
18-11-2016, 10:54 PM
5-1 against Hamilton a few years ago was a pretty entertaining game. We went 5-0 up in just over an hour, then David van Zanten came on, caused havoc and they should have pulled back more than 1 in the closing stages.

Jonnyboy
18-11-2016, 11:04 PM
Was looking through some old Hibs programmes of mine and came across one from Fir Park in what was one of John Collins' first games as Hibs manager. I remember us absolutely destroying Motherwell 6-1 that day and the scoreline really flattered them. Beuzelin (who I think had not long returned from a lengthy lay off) gave a midfield masterclass that Pirlo would have been delighted with and I think Sproule got a double. Pretty sure their manager was Maurice Malpas and after the game said something along the lines of wishing he had been up in the stand so he could enjoy the Hibs performance, which summed up how good we were and how motivational a manager he was :wink: In the grand scheme of things it was just another 3 points against a poor side but the way we played that day has meant that I still remember it really fondly about a decade later

Anyway, got me wondering what are people's favourite Hibs performance that didn't come in a big game, so not including Semi/Cup Finals, Edinburgh derbies, European games, matches against the Old Firm etc. but rather just in a run of the mill match.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/799730927857500160

Killiehibbie
18-11-2016, 11:33 PM
I was in Majorca & went into a Scottish bar to get the football scores. The barmaid asked me which team I wanted. I said Hibs, she said we won 4-1 & then produced a Hibs strip from behind the bar! Bar may have been called McTavishes & was run by an ex Berwick player & big Hibby, possibly Tom Lumsden? Think it was Keith Wright's debut.
Was that in Santa Ponsa?
One down against St Mirren and won 5-1 late 70's

lucky
18-11-2016, 11:41 PM
Beating Killie 8-1 at Easter Road, early 80's or Dundee 5-1 (or was it 5-2?), the Didier Agathe game.

The Killie games was amazing but the most one side game I saw was against Montrose when won 9-0 in 2003 (I think ) if we'd taken our chances it would have been closer to 20!

snooky
19-11-2016, 01:08 AM
Hibs 8 Ayr Untd 1 (early seventies)

My_Wife_Camille
19-11-2016, 01:14 AM
Beating Motherwell 3-1 (going on 10-1) in Zemmamas home debut. The wee man and Scott Brown were unreal that day

Beating Aberdeen 2-1 at Home, Stephen Glass with an incredible winning goal. Another of the underrated/undeappreciated Hibees of recent times.

In fact the glory days of the Mowbray/Collins era where we would routinely score 3, 4, 5 or even 6 goals against solid SPL sides and barely bat an eyelid.

Viva_Palmeiras
19-11-2016, 06:44 AM
Victories against Rangers under Collins at ER when it got to the stage of us shouting "easy, easy" after putting the game to bed - iirc KT scored on (ended up being a tap-in after some sublime football).

I stood on the East that take and savoured KT and Broony as the warmed up cocky and confident smiling and laughing as they warmed up. You knew they were a special talent and that day and other they put on a show...

lord bunberry
19-11-2016, 06:58 AM
I remember a midweek game at home to Dundee Utd. We were 2-0 down with about 20 mins to go, Gareth Evans came on and played like Messi and we won 3-2. I can't remember the year, but it was around the time that the offside rule changed allowing play to continue if a player wasn't interfering with play. The celebrations when the 3rd goal went in were epic.

Broken Gnome
19-11-2016, 07:08 AM
https://twitter.com/i/web/status/799730927857500160

That day was the beginning of the Brown and Thomson saga IIRC.

northstandhibby
19-11-2016, 07:25 AM
The 3-0 home win v Dundee utd with Didier Agathe bagging two of them was a good one for me and my nephews.

Each of us before every game did a coupon with a first goalscorer and correct scoreline and shared the winnings which were not very often.

However one of them put a fiver on Didier and a 3-0 home win at 66-1 on his home debut in 2000 - 2001 season.

Not a bad day at ER at all that week, a 3-0 home win and a nice sum shared between us.

Agathe was different class although the team we had at that time in around 2000 was one of the best teams to grace ER.

Just a pity we only had Didier on a short term contract as he departed to Celtic not very long after.

RoxburghHibs
19-11-2016, 07:53 AM
5-0 against Dundee Utd on opening day of 1994-95 season.

5-2 v St Mirren in Scottish Cup (1993?) my mate was in away end and if I recall we were 5-0 up early in the second half and as he was wearing a bright yellow jacket (don't ask!) I could see his reaction.

9-0 v Montrose LC - Dobbie scored loads that day (whatever happened to him 🙄)

HibbyDave
19-11-2016, 08:48 AM
Oddly enough Motherwell away 6-6! Not favourite performance but a memorable match.

magpie1892
19-11-2016, 09:52 AM

Cracking game that. Ironically, the goal of the game was St Mirren's - from Tom Black IIRC. Beautiful day, as well.

Roxyhibee
19-11-2016, 10:09 AM

Yep, December 1972, Hibs 8 Ayr Utd 1 - first home game after we had beaten Celtic 2-1 in the League Cup Final. Got down the front to watch the Cup parade, which was a sort of buggy thing going round our tiny track with the cup on it - older Hibbies, is that correct..?

The match programme cover was Sir Pat on one knee in his track suit with the Dryborough and League Cups in front of him with snow on the pitch - I still have it somewhere.

Next game.? - Hearts 0 Hibernian 7.

Was at all three games. What a time to be a Hibs supporter. We were phenomenal to watch.

southsider
19-11-2016, 10:20 AM
We paraded our recently won League Cup that day. Was December 1972.

nickwhibs
19-11-2016, 10:30 AM
Beating Livingston 7-0 at ER. And the game around Xmas time when we beat Dundee Utd 4-1 both great games and a great atmosphere.

Was that the 4-1 up at Tanadice? If so I was just about to post that too. Great game, especially with the huge Hibs away support - must have been 4/5000 of us. Even Alen Orman and Sam Morrow scored! And more surprisingly I seem to recall Deeks scoring a rare header.

O'Rourke3
19-11-2016, 10:32 AM
I remember a midweek game at home to Dundee Utd. We were 2-0 down with about 20 mins to go, Gareth Evans came on and played like Messi and we won 3-2. I can't remember the year, but it was around the time that the offside rule changed allowing play to continue if a player wasn't interfering with play. The celebrations when the 3rd goal went in were epic.

I was going to post this game too. Couple of corrections your lordship. Saturday 31 Dec 19991. Duncan Ferguson was on fire that day and McLean took him off with about 20 to go thinking they'd the game won.

KSA Hibee
19-11-2016, 01:03 PM
I remember most of the games already mentioned but another that sticks in my memory was beating Gretna 6-0 at ER in the league cup.

i don't think they touched the ball apart from kicking off after we scored ... it could easily have been double figures.

smashing football and proper entertainment was on show that night :flag:

Baader
19-11-2016, 01:22 PM
This game from 1999 was a cracker and showed a steely resolve under McLeish that hadn't been there in a long time. Wee Russel was immense:
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibee-history-revenge-is-sweet-against-tangerines-1-3933285

Also remember a visit to Starks Park under McLeish after being relegated. Russel had just signed. We lost our left back early on and McGinlay filled in. Pat was incredible that day playing out of position and still managed to get the first goal with a header that set up a win.

Sergey
19-11-2016, 01:42 PM

IIRC, didn't Kilmarnock score first in that match?

Smartie
19-11-2016, 01:52 PM
This game from 1999 was a cracker and showed a steely resolve under McLeish that hadn't been there in a long time. Wee Russel was immense:
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibee-history-revenge-is-sweet-against-tangerines-1-3933285

Also remember a visit to Starks Park under McLeish after being relegated. Russel had just signed. We lost our left back early on and McGinlay filled in. Pat was incredible that day playing out of position and still managed to get the first goal with a header that set up a win.

I remember McGinlay having a solid game at CH against Celtic once.

Given his excellent scoring record, I reckon he could have played any position on the park and done it justice at any time.

Great player.