PDA

View Full Version : NHC Gordon Strachan given unanimous SFA backing to stay on

The Sundance Kid
17-11-2016, 04:38 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38019477

Pretty shocked to be honest, thought the last couple of displays would be the final nail in his coffin

Smartie
17-11-2016, 04:42 PM
I'm not too unhappy about this.

Whilst Strachan isn't perfect and he's made a few ropey calls of late, it isn't his fault we don't have a recognised CH that can defend for toffee.

We can sack managers all we want, that fact won't change anytime soon and if we sacked Strachan it would be the undoing of whichever poor sod it was that ended up in the job.

I was at Wembley and I was happy when the team was announced. Yes, we were outclassed and with 20/20 hindsight we might have done things differently.

As bad as we've been, we're only 4 points off second place. I'd like to see him throw the shackles off and go hell for leather to win games from here on in.

Wilson
17-11-2016, 04:45 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38019477

Pretty shocked to be honest, thought the last couple of displays would be the final nail in his coffin

The results, the Scott Brown 'retirement', and now the backing of Strachan. Over the years you become used to Scottish football being a laughing stock but this is too much.

Pretty Boy
17-11-2016, 04:47 PM
I'm not too unhappy about this.

Whilst Strachan isn't perfect and he's made a few ropey calls of late, it isn't his fault we don't have a recognised CH that can defend for toffee.

We can sack managers all we want, that fact won't change anytime soon and if we sacked Strachan it would be the undoing of whichever poor sod it was that ended up in the job.
Whilst you can't expect Strachan to work miracles and undo the neglect of the last 3 decades, at least, it's not unreasonable to expect him to do better than he has done.

Look at what the O'Neills have achieved with ROI and Northern Ireland respectively. They are hardly picking from the cream of the crop but have been far more competitive than Scotland under Strachan.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Beefster
17-11-2016, 04:48 PM
Whilst Strachan isn't perfect and he's made a few ropey calls of late, it isn't his fault we don't have a recognised CH that can defend for toffee

It's his fault that he sticks with the same CHs who have proven that they are not good enough, rather than try someone new who might be though.

Del Boy
17-11-2016, 04:48 PM
His record is shocking.

In last 10 competitive games only wins are Malta and Gibraltar twice.

Sioux
17-11-2016, 04:52 PM
Whilst you can't expect Strachan to work miracles and undo the neglect of the last 3 decades, at least, it's not unreasonable to expect him to do better than he has done.

Look at what the O'Neills have achieved with ROI and Northern Ireland respectively. They are hardly picking from the cream of the crop but have been far more competitive than Scotland under Strachan.

They've got better players than Scotland.

Its just the usual theme on here. It's always the manager's fault, usually instigated by these clowns in the Glasgow inspired media.

Pretty Boy
17-11-2016, 04:56 PM
They've got better players than Scotland.

Its just the usual theme on here. It's always the manager's fault, usually instigated by these clowns in the Glasgow inspired media.
Moderately better perhaps but they are still primarily drawn from the Championship (or in NIs case sometimes below) and SPFL. They don't have the luxury of picking a couple of world class players that even Wales have.

I've acknowledged, and written at length, before about the multiple failings in Scottish football that pre date Strachan and are outwith his power to fix. His record is appaling though and it's not much of a stretch of the imagination to think someone else could do better.

Smartie
17-11-2016, 05:00 PM
It's his fault that he sticks with the same CHs who have proven that they are not good enough, rather than try someone new who might be though.

Fair point. But whilst the same players have let him down time and time again, there aren't many people banging his door down to get in.

As long as you have the most basic tools, you can put a team together that is organised and hard to beat. You only need a couple of average CHs and you're just about there - see ROI, NI etc.

Unfortunately we don't even have the most basic of tools. Well, we've got Christophe Berra and he's clearly a tool.

I actually think we've got better options at the other end of the park that we've had for a while but if you don't have a defence, you don't have anything.

ancient hibee
17-11-2016, 05:02 PM
Never pay any attention to them.However while the result against England was always going to be a loss the teams and formation and tactics in the previous two games were very poor,defensively inclined and no goal scoring threat.These should have been the tactics against England,stifle the game and get the crowd on edge.Instead he made half a dozen changes and went gung ho.Don't think that these are the actions of a manager who has got a grip of the situation.

Thecat23
17-11-2016, 05:03 PM
Only in Scotland. Utter ****ing shambles the SFA are. Clueless isn't even close!

Maybe make the 3068 World Cup finals though.

bingo70
17-11-2016, 05:09 PM
If we've got such bad centre halves why haven't we tried playing a different system that makes us harder to beat? 5-3-2 or 5-4-1 against the better teams?

To consistently play the same players in the same formation and say nothing we can do because the players are ***** is nonsense IMO.

This is another case of self preservation from the SFA board IMO. They sack him now and they'd be admitting it's been another disastrous qualifying campaign, instead he'll slip away in the summer when there's less focus on them or after a credible draw somewhere.

I'm scunnered with the lack of ambition within the SFA. If they think this campaign is acceptable this tells you all you need to know about that shower of cowboys.

ancient hibee
17-11-2016, 05:12 PM
There are around 800,000 reasons why they haven't sacked him.

calumhibee1
17-11-2016, 05:13 PM
If we've got such bad centre halves why haven't we tried playing a different system that makes us harder to beat? 5-3-2 or 5-4-1 against the better teams?

To consistently play the same players in the same formation and say nothing we can do because the players are ***** is nonsense IMO.

This is another case of self preservation from the SFA board IMO. They sack him now and they'd be admitting it's been another disastrous qualifying campaign, instead he'll slip away in the summer when there's less focus on them or after a credible draw somewhere.

I'm scunnered with the lack of ambition within the SFA. If they think this campaign is acceptable this tells you all you need to know about that shower of cowboys.

This 100%.

bingo70
17-11-2016, 05:14 PM
Never pay any attention to them.However while the result against England was always going to be a loss the teams and formation and tactics in the previous two games were very poor,defensively inclined and no goal scoring threat.These should have been the tactics against England,stifle the game and get the crowd on edge.Instead he made half a dozen changes and went gung ho.Don't think that these are the actions of a manager who has got a grip of the situation.

Correct, everyone would love us to be in a situation we can go toe to toe with the likes of England but we're clearly not anywhere near that stage yet so first of all you need to make us hard to beat. Instead, to offer protection to a vulnerable central defence he plays Anya at right back?

Strachan is clearly not to blame for all scotlands woes but there needs to be some short term accountability.

Billy Whizz
17-11-2016, 05:26 PM
I wiah Strachan would get rid of that bellend, Mark McGhee

Velma Dinkley
17-11-2016, 05:38 PM
We probably can't afford to pay him off because the we need to pay for the fine the SFA knew we'd get for wearing poppies against England.

High-On-Hibs
17-11-2016, 05:52 PM
They won't get rid of Strachan, they've got nobody to replace him with. Wouldn't surprise me if they've approached other managers and have been telt where to go.

magpie1892
17-11-2016, 06:13 PM
Correct, everyone would love us to be in a situation we can go toe to toe with the likes of England

Thing is, you should be. We (England) are a bang-average side at the moment. I was at Wembley last week and you could see the Scottish players' heads physically drop when it went to 2-0. I've never seen Scotland give up when playing England.

Waiting for the managers to appear at the press conference after the game, virtually everyone in the room was convinced Strachan would walk in and quit... He's lost interest in the players, and the players don't rate him.

Shouldn't really be surprised though - this is the SFA we're talking about.

bingo70
17-11-2016, 06:22 PM
Thing is, you should be. We (England) are a bang-average side at the moment. I was at Wembley last week and you could see the Scottish players' heads physically drop when it went to 2-0. I've never seen Scotland give up when playing England.

Waiting for the managers to appear at the press conference after the game, virtually everyone in the room was convinced Strachan would walk in and quit... He's lost interest in the players, and the players don't rate him.

Shouldn't really be surprised though - this is the SFA we're talking about.

IMO that was clear in the build up to the last two games.

I wonder if there's a bit of a compensation stand off happening just now?

Lago
17-11-2016, 06:36 PM
The SFA are not totally stupid, they know that qualification is remote so why spend compensation cash getting rid of Stachan, appoint a new manager & still fail to qualify. Rather let Strachan see out his contract, but start the recruitment of the new manager now.

Jonnyboy
17-11-2016, 06:45 PM

Well, you know, I'm Gordon's, you know, assistant and ,you know, I've got a clause in my, you know, contract that I'll, you know, get paid a bonus for every, you know, time I say you know in press interviews

Hermit Crab
17-11-2016, 06:47 PM
It's like watching Mike Bassett England Manager :greengrin

where'stheslope
17-11-2016, 06:50 PM
The SFA back Strachan, one of the main backers is Rod Petrie who a lot of people on here would gladly like to see the back off!
We all know its the money they would have to pay up front for sacking him, but they should at least go the opposite way from Strachan and say his results are not good enough!!!

PISTOL1875
17-11-2016, 06:53 PM
Same old sfa at their best. Rewarding failure.

G B Young
17-11-2016, 07:28 PM
You have to assume it's solely down to the fact they can't afford to pay off Strachan and his assistants and would rather just let him see out this latest failed campaign before walking away. Of course any governing body with sense would sack him now and let the new guy at least attempt to build something by using the rest of the games to experiment with the players at his disposal.

Brightside
17-11-2016, 08:10 PM
Astounding that some on here still rate Strachan. "we don't have any better players?" Christ we have a player currently starting for the 2nd best team in the German league and Strachan wont play him. We have a player who changes hands for £10m and he can't get in the squad. We have about a dozen better CHs that Grant ****** Hanley but he's one of the first players in the squad. Dozens of young and hungry CMs and we keep playing Fletcher and Brown! Strachan and his band of sooks shouldnt be allowed anywhere near progressive football.

hibbysam
17-11-2016, 08:24 PM

Absolutely. Walter smith and Eck Mcleish had Gary Caldwell and Davie Weir to play centre half and still put us out hard to beat. Strachan sticks out 5 attack minded players when we have no one capable of defending, and compliments the two dire centre halves with two attacking wing backs who can't defend. Simple basic tactics.

Cameron1875
17-11-2016, 08:46 PM
It's like watching Mike Bassett England Manager :greengrin

Reminds me of the scene with the journos!

The team don't want ya, the fans don't want ya... we don't want ya!
Mike, even your wife has left ya. It's time to pick up your coat I think.
:wink:

But in all seriousness he should GTF. Thankfully the last two trips have been a good laugh with mates otherwise i'd be crying into my bank balance after seeing 2 shocking results and 0 goals.

jacomo
17-11-2016, 09:55 PM
Absolutely. Walter smith and Eck Mcleish had Gary Caldwell and Davie Weir to play centre half and still put us out hard to beat. Strachan sticks out 5 attack minded players when we have no one capable of defending, and compliments the two dire centre halves with two attacking wing backs who can't defend. Simple basic tactics.

I'm no fan of Caldwell, but those two are miles better than what we have now.

Wallace and Anya would be suited to wing back role.

3 centre halfs, 3 in the middle, super Leigh + AN Other up top.

Sorted :wink:

heretoday
17-11-2016, 10:50 PM
Bad luck Gordon. No big payday yet and another few months getting pelters from the fans.

Baldy Foghorn
18-11-2016, 08:01 AM

First time I have seen you use bad language Mr Whizz, must be desperate situation:greengrin

G B Young
18-11-2016, 04:11 PM
Sums things up quite well:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38021627

Alex Trager
18-11-2016, 04:43 PM
Strachan should go in my opinion.

He has now cost us two campaigns.

Firstly.
HE picks the players. It is HIS job to go out and pick the correct players. They shouldn't have to be 'knocking on his door'. That's why he is paid the money he is paid.

Secondly.
To continually play guys that A) don't regularly start for their clubs and B) fail each time they pull on a Scottish jersey is mental.

He brought guys in we had never heard of before, which is his job, so that's sound.

But they are crap. And they play crap when they play for our country.

He neglects players who are in form. This is a huge undoing IMO. NI got to what? The 1/4's in the euros with a guy from Hamilton and Kilmarnock.

They are hardly what you'd class as world class but crucially they are performing every week for their clubs.

So he has to start to recruit on that basis.

And that also means if he brings in, for example McGinn, because he is playing brilliantly then brilliant.
But come march if McGinn's not playing well anymore he has to be dropped for someone who is in form. It's simple.

This is a failing of strachan's. Playing players because he brought them in and not because of how they are playing.

Further, to play one up too at home to Lithuania is criminal. Totally embarrassing.

We started excellently against England last week. Truly played well.

We should be starting like that against every team.

Had we done so against Lithuania I'd bet we'd have beaten them.

Too many mistakes. And too much stubbornness.

Finally he is an arrogant tosser.

Dismissing the fans in an interview was one of the last straws for me. To refuse to answer questions that fans have put to him is mental.

These guys go home and away, there were 4000, I believe, in Malta and he acts like that.

The man has to go.

But then you have the question of who should come in.

And truthfully, I do not know

lapsedhibee
18-11-2016, 04:57 PM
Maybe make the 3068 World Cup finals though.

:tsk tsk: Not a WC year.

IlDiavola
18-11-2016, 05:24 PM
Personally I think Strachan should have resigned but if he's still to be our national manager I will support him.

The Modfather
18-11-2016, 05:58 PM
Astounding that some on here still rate Strachan. "we don't have any better players?" Christ we have a player currently starting for the 2nd best team in the German league and Strachan wont play him. We have a player who changes hands for £10m and he can't get in the squad. We have about a dozen better CHs that Grant ****** Hanley but he's one of the first players in the squad. Dozens of young and hungry CMs and we keep playing Fletcher and Brown! Strachan and his band of sooks shouldnt be allowed anywhere near progressive football.

Who are the "dozen better CH''s"?

Hanley is poor, but unfortunately he isn't keeping anyone of note out of the team.

bingo70
18-11-2016, 06:18 PM
Who are the "dozen better CH''s"?

Hanley is poor, but unfortunately he isn't keeping anyone of note out of the team.

We don't know that as Strachan hasn't tried anyone else. Fwiw I read Steven Caulker wants to play for Scotland and qualifies, if that's the case I reckon he's better. Anyway if he is the best we've got then I still blame Strachan for not playing a system that offers more protection.

If I can completely contradict everything I've said so far on this thread, I found it interesting what Neil Lennon had to say about Michael O'Neill, I didn't realise he only managed something like one draw in his first 18 games. Maybe there is something to be said for persevering with the same manager and the majority are wrong. I've got my doubts though.

hibbysam
18-11-2016, 08:20 PM
I'm no fan of Caldwell, but those two are miles better than what we have now.

Wallace and Anya would be suited to wing back role.

3 centre halfs, 3 in the middle, super Leigh + AN Other up top.

Sorted :wink:

I never said they weren't, but they also weren't international standard centre halves especially with weir well into his 30's, yet they managed to be set up in a way to keep France out twice in one campaign. When your centre defenders are rank rotten, you give them as much help as possible, yet Strachan decides to isolate them 2 on 2 by playing 6 attack minded players.

Smartie
18-11-2016, 08:25 PM
So the solution to us not having any decent centre halves is to play more of them?

I can see why Strachan did what he did - we have decent players going forward, focus on that. Why play defensively when your defenders are crap?

It's easy to criticise when a plan doesn't work and say that something else would have worked as nobody will ever know. I suspect that if Strachan lobbed Gordon Greer or the like into a back 3 and defended against England then we'd have lost about 8-0.

At least he tried to win the game, unlike the 4-6-0meister.

bingo70
20-11-2016, 07:26 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sfa-spark-civil-war-stewart-9291119

I don't know enough about what's going wrong at youth level to know if these proposals are any good but interested to hear people's thoughts?

First impression is that it seems a strange way of doing it and probably over complicated, I'll be really annoyed of Hibs are one of the clubs excluded.

PISTOL1875
20-11-2016, 08:15 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sfa-spark-civil-war-stewart-9291119

I don't know enough about what's going wrong at youth level to know if these proposals are any good but interested to hear people's thoughts?

First impression is that it seems a strange way of doing it and probably over complicated, I'll be really annoyed of Hibs are one of the clubs excluded.

Younger players HAVE to be playing competitive games instead of sitting on a bench kicking their heels. That's the only way that they will develop.

bingo70
20-11-2016, 08:24 AM
Younger players HAVE to be playing competitive games instead of sitting on a bench kicking their heels. That's the only way that they will develop.

What if the younger players aren't as good as the older players? Do they get played just because of their age?

Not dismissing your point by the way, clearly youngsters need to get a chance but I think it's a bit simplistic to just say youngsters need to play.

PISTOL1875
20-11-2016, 08:27 AM
What if the younger players aren't as good as the older players? Do they get played just because of their age?

Not dismissing your point by the way, clearly youngsters need to get a chance but I think it's a bit simplistic to just say youngsters need to play.

The more they play then hopefully the better they will become. If they don't progress sufficiently then the option is there to move them on.