PDA

View Full Version : Official Site: ALEX CROPLEY BOOK SIGNING ON SATURDAY

RSS Bot
17-11-2016, 10:50 AM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/6976)

surreyhibbie
17-11-2016, 12:03 PM
Met the great man before and after the SC Final; got his autograph.

Would love his book for Christmas if Santa is watching? :greengrin

tanfield
17-11-2016, 12:05 PM
Timing is a bit strange given the book has been out for a while.........

hughio
17-11-2016, 12:26 PM
Timing is a bit strange given the book has been out for a while.........

I'd say good timing.

Christmas coming and Alex shouldn't have to make a living driving taxis with the courage and ability he showed on the football pitch.

Born in the wrong era.

I'll buy one.

HIBERNIAN-0762
17-11-2016, 12:59 PM
One of your own and one of the best footballers I have ever seen in a green and white jersey, also a top guy as well, they used to call him "hammer of the Hearts".

:agree: :not worth

ShadesLongThrow
17-11-2016, 01:37 PM
Two memories of Alex Cropley.
First was a goal against Hearts where he scored from the bye line. Sure it was at the Dunbar Road end but no idea about the year!
And second was as a kid at Parsons Green when he moved into the area - think it was maybe Abercorn Drive. I knocked on his door for an autograph and he signed it in green felt pen. Lost a long time ago though!

BSEJVT
17-11-2016, 06:22 PM
Alex was a great player

Hard as nails and as brave as a lion

Hermit Crab
17-11-2016, 06:36 PM
He's my dads hero.

Fanforlife
17-11-2016, 07:04 PM
First was a goal against Hearts where he scored from the bye line. Sure it was at the Dunbar Road end but no idea about the year!
And second was as a kid at Parsons Green when he moved into the area - think it was maybe Abercorn Drive. I knocked on his door for an autograph and he signed it in green felt pen. Lost a long time ago though!Was the Dunbar end,new years day 1974? Think Hibs won 3 1.

ShadesLongThrow
17-11-2016, 08:15 PM
Was the Dunbar end,new years day 1974? Think Hibs won 3 1.

Cheers. Sounds about right! Made a big impression on a 12 year old!

steelendhibs
17-11-2016, 08:39 PM
Don't know anybody on here, but is there a kind soul who perhaps sits in the west lower who would be going to the book signing be able to get me one and have it signed by Mr Cropley? He was my dad's absolute hero and it would be a fantastic present for him for Xmas. I can't make it to Easter Road until nearer kick off due to care responsibilities. If anybody can do a good deed then please reply or PM me. I would obviously reimburse!!

Deansy
17-11-2016, 08:59 PM
And second was as a kid at Parsons Green when he moved into the area - think it was maybe Abercorn Drive. I knocked on his door for an autograph and he signed it in green felt pen. Lost a long time ago though!

Aye, it was - I was in it with my Dad. Cropley all the way down the wing, along the bye-line and then BENT it round their keeper !!. That was the first time I'd ever seen a Scottish footballer bend the ball - golden, sweet memory !

JimBHibees
18-11-2016, 10:14 AM
Cracking player hugely brave and loads of ability and also very unlucky with injuries when down south. Can remember him presenting medals at my boys club in early 70s seemed a really decent sort.

Was his nickname Soldier? Vaguely remember he was born in Aldershot so assume his dad was in the forces.

CropleyWasGod
18-11-2016, 10:20 AM
Cracking player hugely brave and loads of ability and also very unlucky with injuries when down south. Can remember him presenting medals at my boys club in early 70s seemed a really decent sort.

Was his nickname Soldier? Vaguely remember he was born in Aldershot so assume his dad was in the forces.

Yup, it was.

IIRC, one of the first players to be allowed to play for Scotland through the parent-rule.

Tom Hart RIP
18-11-2016, 11:26 AM
He was born in Aldershot but his dad wasn't in army. He was a part time player with Aldershot .

southsider
18-11-2016, 11:46 AM

Fergie (yes,that one) broke his leg at Brockville Hibs v Falkirk. Fergie was a coward, an animal and cr*p CF. Crops would only have been 18 or 19.

JimBHibees
18-11-2016, 01:17 PM
He was born in Aldershot but his dad wasn't in army. He was a part time player with Aldershot .

Ok cheers.

steelendhibs
18-11-2016, 02:12 PM
Don't know anybody on here, but is there a kind soul who perhaps sits in the west lower who would be going to the book signing be able to get me one and have it signed by Mr Cropley? He was my dad's absolute hero and it would be a fantastic present for him for Xmas. I can't make it to Easter Road until nearer kick off due to care responsibilities. If anybody can do a good deed then please reply or PM me. I would obviously reimburse!! anybody?

HIBERNIAN-0762
18-11-2016, 02:31 PM
He was called "sojer" by his teammates.

IlDiavola
18-11-2016, 04:19 PM
Hi, just signed up for here on Tuesday and this is my first post.

Alex Cropley was my favorite player when I was just a wee boy so I thought I would use this thread to introduce myself and say hello to everyone.

Billy Whizz
18-11-2016, 04:29 PM
anybody?

Why don't you call the shop in the morning, pay for it, and get them to ask Crops to sign if for you

steelendhibs
18-11-2016, 04:35 PM
Didn't know you could pay over the phone. Thanks

Billy Whizz
18-11-2016, 04:36 PM
Didn't know you could pay over the phone. Thanks

Not 100% sure if you can, but worth a try

Malthibby
18-11-2016, 04:46 PM

Alex Cropley was my favorite player when I was just a wee boy so I thought I would use this thread to introduce myself and say hello to everyone.

Mine too. Welcome, I'm great but the rest of them are fxnnies.......
GG

IlDiavola
18-11-2016, 05:20 PM
Mine too. Welcome, I'm great but the rest of them are fxnnies.......
GG

Ha ha!

Thanks for the welcome.

IberianHibernian
18-11-2016, 08:51 PM
One of your own and one of the best footballers I have ever seen in a green and white jersey, also a top guy as well, they used to call him "hammer of the Hearts".

:agree: :not worth I seem to remember a league game at Tynecastle where Cropley scored 2 late goals in 2 v 0 win . Early 70s . Scored in 7 v 0 game and other Derbies so earned the name .

Jonnyboy
18-11-2016, 10:07 PM
I seem to remember a league game at Tynecastle where Cropley scored 2 late goals in 2 v 0 win . Early 70s . Scored in 7 v 0 game and other Derbies so earned the name .

Is it maybe this one IH?

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=17428

Crops and Hammy the scorers though?

erin go bragh
19-11-2016, 10:28 AM

Welcome mate . Too young to have seen any of the tornadoes unfortunately:( but did see us win that cup :)

steelendhibs
19-11-2016, 06:11 PM
Phoned the club shop this morning and they couldn't have been more accommodating. Signed copy put aside for me. Great service and my father will be chuffed at Xmas. Credit to the staff there