PDA

View Full Version : Missed Game - biggest regret ?

Onion
17-11-2016, 12:17 AM
What his the one Hibs game you missed that you regret the most ?

For me, it was the 72 League Cup Final. To my shame, I chose not to go as I'd just been subjected to the 6-1 loss to Celtic in the SCF, I didn't give Hibs a hope.

snooky
17-11-2016, 12:27 AM
There a couple of historic ones I've missed through the years however, the only one I've regretted missing by choice was the Athens game.

Smartie
17-11-2016, 12:35 AM
I've missed a few big games and NOT regretted it - the 1993 League cup final for one. I've actually missed both the games at ER when we've been relegated so in spite of going to 95% plus games home and away for the past 20 years I've not seen us relegated. I've not missed many home games at all but I missed both of those.

I came a bawhair away from missing a certain game in May. A late change of heart (after taking serious strop following the Falkirk debacle) and some good fortune at Cardiff airport (I had no photographic ID and had to get a flight on the Saturday morning) saw me make it back.

ajf
17-11-2016, 12:56 AM
What his the one Hibs game you missed that you regret the most ?

For me, it was the 72 League Cup Final. To my shame, I chose not to go as I'd just been subjected to the 6-1 loss to Celtic in the SCF, I didn't give Hibs a hope.

snap

My_Wife_Camille
17-11-2016, 01:14 AM
Some games I missed that I regret

Hibernian 6-2 Hearts
Hibernian 4-0 Rangers
Rangers 0-3 Hibernian (Ivan Hat trick)
Rangers 0-3 Hibernian (Miller, Rankin Dickoh)
Hearts 0-1 Hibernian (Riordan pen)
Hearts 0-3 Hibernian
Celtic 1-3 Hibernian

Some games I didn't miss

Ross County 1-0 Hibernian x2
Inverness 3-0 Hibernian x4 (yes four)
Ayr 1-0 Hibernian x2
Kilmarnock 6-2 Hibernian
Livingston 4-1 Hibernian
St Johnstone 5-1 Hibernian

17-11-2016, 01:41 AM
Some games I missed that I regret

Hibernian 6-2 Hearts
Hibernian 4-0 Rangers
Rangers 0-3 Hibernian (Ivan Hat trick)
Rangers 0-3 Hibernian (Miller, Rankin Dickoh)
Hearts 0-1 Hibernian (Riordan pen)
Hearts 0-3 Hibernian
Celtic 1-3 Hibernian

Some games I didn't miss

Ross County 1-0 Hibernian x2
Inverness 3-0 Hibernian x4 (yes four)
Ayr 1-0 Hibernian x2
Kilmarnock 6-2 Hibernian
Livingston 4-1 Hibernian
St Johnstone 5-1 Hibernian

Pleased to be able to say I saw all the games you missed. :agree: And regrettably all the ones you attend that you wish you had not....I was also at these and many more painful day/nights!! :boo hoo:

It's the poor people who decided not to go on 21 May 2016 (and I know a few) that I feel sorry for. All the pain of previous years were washed away for that drunken weekend of celebration. if your a football fans its all about highs and lows. And we all know that being a Hibs fan it's a roller coaster ride.

southern hibby
17-11-2016, 01:47 AM
Regret missing millennium Derby. Got married that day in Portsmouth. Swear to god I wish I'd missed the wedding and went to the game. However did leave reception and meal and went to pub next door and watched it with the wife and about 50-60 guests.

GGTTH

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-11-2016, 01:56 AM
I didn't go to the 4-4 league cup game v Celtic when we put them out on penalties (I was at Powderhall for Edinburgh Monarchs v Sheffield Tigers).

Allant1981
17-11-2016, 06:22 AM
I missed the league cup final in 07, had to decide on a weekend away which had been booked for ages or the game and decided to go away for the weekend so we didnt lose money, got to see the game though

Wembley67
17-11-2016, 06:30 AM
The final!

pontius pilate
17-11-2016, 08:05 AM
The final couldn't make it and I'm still gutted

Speedy
17-11-2016, 08:12 AM
Killie cup final. Felt like a bogey at the time and didn't even watch the game.

muzzando
17-11-2016, 08:13 AM
Couldn't make the final. Most recent one apart from that would have to be the 4-0 against rangers

calumhibee1
17-11-2016, 08:15 AM
100% the game at tynecastle last season. There had been an issue with my loyalty points and I was 1 point short so couldn't get a ticket.

lyonhibs
17-11-2016, 08:23 AM
The SC Final. Had dropped the thick end of Ģ500 to come over for the LC Final (which was in itself a massive, MASSIVE scunner), was paying off my wedding etc.

It wasn't happening, but I'll forever regret not just going "**** it".

Still, I won't be making that mistake EVER again.

Albanian Hibs
17-11-2016, 08:38 AM
6-2 game. My mum booked us a holiday to turkey 🙄 had to watch it on teletext..

VivaHiberņa
17-11-2016, 08:43 AM
4-0 away vs Killie. I would have done one or the other, but travelling to and watching the game on my own from Aberdeen seemed like too long a day. Kicking myself at FT.

California-Hibs
17-11-2016, 08:54 AM
The SC Final. Had dropped the thick end of Ģ500 to come over for the LC Final (which was in itself a massive, MASSIVE scunner), was paying off my wedding etc.

It wasn't happening, but I'll forever regret not just going "**** it".

Still, I won't be making that mistake EVER again.

Almost exactly my situation too. Came over for the League Cup Final after begging the wife. We were in the middle of house hunting and almost closing at the start of May and there was no chance with all the cash that that was taking, especially after laying down a whack for a flight home for March's final. But just why oh why oh why did I not just say - to hell with it!

The wife will sometimes say when I'm talking about it, or watching videos related to it, like this past week, watching the DVD she'll say - I'm so sorry honey, obviously we weren't to know just what was going to happen but I really wish we had decided to just let you go for it and head over. I see how much it means to you.

Each time I smile and say something along the lines of - 'it's ok, the timing was bad and there was just no way to know what would happen' .......although on the inside it's more of a me going ballistic and screaming (TOO BLOODY EFIN RIGHT I SHOULD OF JUST WENT!!!!! 😡)

😂

Andy74
17-11-2016, 08:55 AM
I was at all the 22 in a row games. Missed the game Hunter scored to win!

sleeping giant
17-11-2016, 08:59 AM
Missed the 6-2 game.
We had just had our first bairn and I think he was unwell so I didn't go.
My hearts supporting mate was a steward in the FF upper though :greengrin

BOB MARLEYS DUG
17-11-2016, 09:05 AM
The semi final vs Dundee United (pens)

Viva_Palmeiras
17-11-2016, 09:11 AM
I was at all the 22 in a row games. Missed the game Hunter scored to win!

Yea missed that and 6-2 and Athens (ER*) due to a combination of working in London and not having any holidays left. I also missed the CIS cup as my boy was not long born (missed the League Cup Final vs Ross Country) didn't regret those finals as it was my kids birth/birthday party it was a surreal experience tho'.

* my wife doesn't really follow the football but she said the noise from ER that night was incredible - and that was from London road! (used to live not too far from the now Safari Lounge).

Frazerbob
17-11-2016, 09:28 AM
Liege away - I was still at school so couldn't go with my pals who were all a couple of years older. I still get stick for missing a great trip.

Trinidad & Tobago tour - my biggest regret is being skint at the time so couldn't go. Some of the stories are brilliant and it's definitely a never to be repeated experience.

Stevie Reid
17-11-2016, 09:32 AM
I missed the 2-0 'unbeatable' derby in 2005. Was a sair yin.

BoomtownHibees
17-11-2016, 09:32 AM
The Hearts replay on the way to winning the cup. Was in Disney Paris at the time

wookie70
17-11-2016, 09:38 AM
Missed the 6-2 game as loaded with flu. Hardly able to lift a head off the pillow as we scored but still regret not making the effort. The only home game I had missed for about 5 years

Diclonius
17-11-2016, 09:46 AM
2007 League Cup Final. Not an ST holder at the time and missed out in the public sale.

lord bunberry
17-11-2016, 09:52 AM
The Hearts replay on the way to winning the cup. Was in Disney Paris at the time
The jambos were in Disney qualify at the time :greengrin

hibee_girl
17-11-2016, 09:58 AM
I missed the Hamilton play offs as we were on holiday, in a weird way it felt worse not being there.

Bristolhibby
17-11-2016, 11:14 AM
Without a doubt it was the Final in May. Was at my wife's best friends wedding. Hadn't missed a Scottish Cup Final up to that point, and the one I miss was the one that no Hibee should have missed. It was finally the payback for years of *****.

TBH it was on the back of the LC Final and the Falkirk playoffs, I was pretty scunnered by then.

Also leaving at half time for the 4-3 semi v Falkirk. Again, it was time for a bit of redemption from the 5-1 the season before v them and we were 3-0 down at half time.

I clearly wasn't the only one who felt kicked in the baws.

J

Bristolhibby
17-11-2016, 11:16 AM
I missed the Hamilton play offs as we were on holiday, in a weird way it felt worse not being there.

I flew up for that one. I had a missive regret doing that.

Booked my flight after the first leg. FFS Hibs!

J

Thecat23
17-11-2016, 11:25 AM
I couldn't make the 6-2 game, still haunts me to this day. If I had missed the cup final I would never get over that to be honest!

hibby6270
17-11-2016, 11:48 AM
For all that's been said about it and that we so nearly turned it around, missing the AEK Athens game at ER is a big regret but I was on a 20th anniversary trip round America at the time. It had been booked months in advance so didn't really have much choice but to miss the game. Being ushered out of Disney's Animal Kingdom on the morning of 9/11 will always haunt me.

Highland_Hibee
17-11-2016, 12:11 PM
The SC derby replay at ER for the rendition of "sunshine on leith" alone. I remember even Sky were plugging it on their pages it was that impressive. Wasn't going to miss another leg of our journey after that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Argylehibby
17-11-2016, 12:14 PM
The semi final win v Rangers when Keith got the winner. I was at work as we had heaps on at the time but I headed off to the pub to catch the 2nd half. Still wish I'd been there in person though.

CB_NO3
17-11-2016, 12:21 PM
Inverness away in last years Scottish Cup game due to being in Berlin. Only game I missed.

hibee_girl
17-11-2016, 12:39 PM
Just remembered I missed the rangers semi final at hampden in 2004 when we won on penalties

NAE NOOKIE
17-11-2016, 12:55 PM
Since my first Hibs semi final in 1979 I've only missed two ..... the semi v Rangers when Keith Wright scored the winner and the Dunfermline replay in 2007. I regret the Keith Wright game very much, but I had to be in London and couldn't get out of it. I blame the idiots at the SFA for the Dunfermline one .... I couldn't get to Hampden due to lack of transport, I would have made a replay at the PBS though, a lot of Hibs fans missed that game for the same reason.

InchHibby
17-11-2016, 01:09 PM
Not so much as a missed game but more of a missed day.
I was at the final but flew out to Pathos on a pre booked holiday, so missed the parade on the Sunday.

Jamesie
17-11-2016, 01:17 PM
Bit of a left field one for me - probably the win at Dens Park in 2000 when Zitelli scored the overhead kick. We were on fire that autumn and unfortunately I was studying in Aberdeen at the time and saw few matches other than the 6-2 game.

Biggest regret in terms of actually attending was without doubt the 2012 Cup Final - went to considerable expense in moving a holiday in East Africa to be able to attend it.

Biggest delight at missing a game has to be the 2004 League Cup Final - I was backpacking around Australia at the time and would have had to cut the whole trip four / five months short to come home for it - a lucky escape and Sir Tom assisted in getting the game shown for the Oz Hibbys at a venue in Melbourne via Setanta, albeit with a one hour time delay - we had agreed to switch off mobile phones going into the venue but when people started to leave ten minutes into the game it became clear that not everyone had adhered to that!

KeithTheHibby
17-11-2016, 01:31 PM
I never went to the millennium derby when we pumped the yams 3-0, massive fail on my part.

Still to this date the biggest margin of victory at Swiney for many a decade.

Not Hibs I know but I almost went to Paris for the Scotland game against France in 2007 when McFadden scored that peach. Had flights etc. all worked out with my bro but decided to give it a miss. Whoopsy!

MartinfaePorty
17-11-2016, 01:31 PM
March 1990 - Rangers 0 - Hibs 1, where Keith Houchen scored the winner. I'd only been to Ibrox once before and saw us draw 1-1, so fancied going again, but the only guy I knew who might have been going said he couldn't make it, so I never bothered. Turned up to work on Monday and the same mate told me he'd gone in the Rangers end with another work colleague! Still to this day don't forgive him, although he argues that it was down to the offer of a free ticket and he is, to be fair, a good Hibby to this day!

Non-Hibs, my ex-flatmate told me he wasn't going to Paris for France v Scotland, where Faddy scored that winner, but when I bumped into him a few weeks after the game he started to go on about his great trip, before he saw my anger and then tried to say he didn't think I wanted to go!

Canon Hannan
17-11-2016, 01:40 PM
Just remembered I missed the rangers semi final at hampden in 2004 when we won on penalties

My favourite game until very recently.

I regret the millennium derby. Didn't want to give them the money.

CropleyWasGod
17-11-2016, 01:44 PM
Playing golf at Gullane on 1/1/73.

"New Year derbies are always boring"

:rolleyes:

Craig_HFC
17-11-2016, 01:47 PM
The derby at Tynecastle where Griffiths scored a 35-yard free kick to make it 1-1 and then Ross Caldwell scored a last minute winner.

Normally go to all away derbies but decided not to go to that one. Watched it in the house instead.

The Pointer
17-11-2016, 01:52 PM
Ivan Sproule's hat-trick game at Ibrox. We were driving up to a party in Shandon (hostess is a hun!) and I remember where each goal was scored as I nearly went off the road three times screaming my head off!

Danderhall Hibs
17-11-2016, 01:59 PM
I missed the 2-0 'unbeatable' derby in 2005. Was a sair yin.

Same here. Had just moved house the day before and had a bit of a "discussion" with the wife.

She decided to take the season ticket and vanish - to the game.

J-C
17-11-2016, 02:03 PM
I missed the 0-7 1973 derby on New Years day, I was only 15 and my dad wouldn't let me go, there was 36,000 there that day but I did manage the the 202 6-2 win :greengrin

SlickShoes
17-11-2016, 02:11 PM
I chose to go to work instead of attend hibs vs AEK, my dad went on his own and when I came in from work and watched it back/heard about it i was gutted I missed it.

Luckily I've been at pretty much every other big game, and would never dream of missing a semi final or final as you never know what will happen even when we've been humiliated sometimes you are that close to glory I couldn't not go.

California-Hibs
17-11-2016, 02:18 PM
I couldn't make the 6-2 game, still haunts me to this day. If I had missed the cup final I would never get over that to be honest!

Aye Cheers! 👎😩😂

wookie70
17-11-2016, 04:08 PM
The semi final win v Rangers when Keith got the winner. I was at work as we had heaps on at the time but I headed off to the pub to catch the 2nd half. Still wish I'd been there in person though. Up until recently mu favourite Hibs game. A good choice for this thread

#FromTheCapital
17-11-2016, 04:49 PM
Mines was the AEK Athens home tie in 2001. Was a skint 15 year old who couldn't afford to go and was distraught when I heard everyone raving about the game and atmosphere.

My cousin decided not to go to a certain game at Hampden in May this year because he was sick of the disappointment. The final straw for him was the league cup final against Ross County. He was obviously delighted we won the cup but kicking himself for not going.

offshorehibby
17-11-2016, 05:39 PM
Been to every cup final since the mid 70's bar ONE, 21/05/16 my biggest regret. Closely followed by AEK Athens:grr::grr::sick: :violin:

pollution
17-11-2016, 05:43 PM
Watching ' Blazing Saddles ' at the Dominion on 01/01/1973. Good film, though. Still laughing at the camp fire sketch

17-11-2016, 06:05 PM
Missed the Aberdeen cup game last season when we beat them 2-0. Gave my season ticket to a family member as i was knackered after finishing work (what a big wimp eh!). Obviously not as bad as missing a winning cup final or that but was still gutted as sounds like it was a really good game under the ER floodlights.

Craig_in_Prague
17-11-2016, 08:42 PM
The 6-2 game, went to nearly every game around those times but watched that game at home. Don't know why!
Thankfully made it in May or that would have been regrettable and painful forever!

SRHibs
17-11-2016, 09:24 PM
I don't think the atmosphere from the AEK game will ever be matched again. The terracing was absolutely rocking. Apart from the obvious, it's my favourite Hibs memory.

As for my biggest regret, it was the 5-1 LC final. Had been to every Hampden game possible, but out of pure apathy gave it a miss. Regretted it when I came to my senses.

Eyrie
17-11-2016, 09:26 PM
Ayr away as it was the only match I didn't make when we won the League Cup in 1991. Had some exams that got in the way.

jgl07
17-11-2016, 09:45 PM
I missed the League Cup Final against Dunfermline. I hadn't been watching Hibs very long and didn't realise that you could pay at the gate (provided you got there early enough).

I missed the League Cup Semifinal against Rangers because I was still hacked off after the feeble defeat to Ayr United the previous time.

I did make every other Final and Semifinal in both cups over this period and saw the other two on TV.

I missed a lot of wins at Tynecastle but did make the Gordon Hunter encounter. I also missed a fair few matches against Hearts at Easter Road including seeing the 'unbeatables' being vanquished. I also missed the replay in the Cup because I was working in London at the time.

Ginger Gehagan
17-11-2016, 09:54 PM
Definitely the millennium derby for me. My first game at swynie was the 1.0 Gordon Hunter game and I was at every game at that **** hole for the next 15 years apart from it!

Sir David Gray
17-11-2016, 10:08 PM
The victory over Hearts at Easter Road which ended their unbeaten start to the 05-06 season.

Gutted.

I also thought I would regret missing the League Cup final last season due to a holiday. As it happens, I was quite glad I wasn't there.

I made the big one in May though, I can't imagine how any Hibs fan who missed that day must feel.

1959 Hibby
17-11-2016, 10:50 PM
No contest for me. 1 January 1973 - I was dragged kicking and screaming by my father to Murrayfield to watch a rugby match. Over the years I've convinced myself we could hear the (seven) roars from Tynecastle. First time I've ever managed to forget it was 21 May this year

Seekyit
17-11-2016, 11:00 PM
0-3 Millenium. I was offered a ticket but declined and watched it in the pub.

6-2. Had overspent the week before after watching us beat Rangers 1-0, decided I was skint.

worcesterhibby
18-11-2016, 09:48 AM
Almost exactly my situation too. Came over for the League Cup Final after begging the wife. We were in the middle of house hunting and almost closing at the start of May and there was no chance with all the cash that that was taking, especially after laying down a whack for a flight home for March's final. But just why oh why oh why did I not just say - to hell with it!

The wife will sometimes say when I'm talking about it, or watching videos related to it, like this past week, watching the DVD she'll say - I'm so sorry honey, obviously we weren't to know just what was going to happen but I really wish we had decided to just let you go for it and head over. I see how much it means to you.

Each time I smile and say something along the lines of - 'it's ok, the timing was bad and there was just no way to know what would happen' .......although on the inside it's more of a me going ballistic and screaming (TOO BLOODY EFIN RIGHT I SHOULD OF JUST WENT!!!!! 😡)

😂

That makes three of us...used up a lot of brownie points and cash getting to the League Cup final and never made it to THE final. Thankfully I did get to watch it in a proper Hibs pub with other Hibby's..all be it in Cheltenham !