PDA

View Full Version : The cost of football

Tamhere1875
16-11-2016, 10:00 PM
Find out where your SPFL team ranks in the Price of Football 2016 survey from season tickets to pies
dlyr.ec/iqfMna

surreyhibbie
16-11-2016, 10:35 PM
Hibs are the dearest ticket at £22 and the average is over £24..... How does that work?

Or am I reading it wrong?:confused:

hibbysam
16-11-2016, 10:50 PM
Unfortunately everyone keeps saying our clubs charge far too much for the product, and compare us to England, Spain and Germany etc.. unfortunately we still have huge stewarding/policing bills and many other costs on top of that, with extremely limited commercial income compared to these countries that if prices were lower, clubs would run at a massive loss. It's not viable and unfortunately until there is proper funding into our game, we will continue to have to pay big prices.

Lower prices doesn't guarantee bigger crowds, and especially not to the value that makes up for the drop in income from the lowered prices.

Phil MaGlass
17-11-2016, 05:48 AM
Hibs are the dearest ticket at £22 and the average is over £24..... How does that work?

I think the average was for the whole matchday experience including ticket, pie, drink and programme, for tickets, we are the most expensive

Hibby Bairn
17-11-2016, 06:37 AM
There should be a major investigation into the price of a cup of tea. Over £2 for a product that costs less than 3p to make (excluding staff costs).

wookie70
17-11-2016, 06:47 AM

Are we not the most expensive cheapest ticket.

Speedy
17-11-2016, 07:02 AM
There should be a major investigation into the price of a cup of tea. Over £2 for a product that costs less than 3p to make (excluding staff costs).

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2016/jan/14/is-2-a-fair-price-for-a-cup-of-hot-water-and-lemon

Pretty Boy
17-11-2016, 07:03 AM
The price of football is always over simplified imo. I saw a graphic on Facebook the other day that read:

A ticket to watch Bayern Munich - £10
A ticket to watch Alloa - £16
This is what's wrong with Scottish Football

And of course there are about 500 comments all saying 'spot on', 'well said', 'disgrace' and so on. No thought is ever given to the completely different environments that Alloa or Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen for that matter are competing in compared to the likes of Bayern Munich.

For those dining at the top table income from ticket prices is far less important than for those picking up the crumbs. We don't have lucrative TV deals, Champions League income, multi million pound kit deals, multiple sponsorships with global brands for every aspect of the club that is marketable and so on. Bayern Munich can afford to lose £3-4M a year by reducing ticket prices, that's a massive chunk of turnover for the bigger clubs in Scotland and the stuff of dreams for the smaller clubs. No one is getting rich from Scottish football (with a few obvious exceptions in the recent past). The prices being charged are enabling clubs to continue to operate at the modest level they are now.

Of course the argument will be that lower prices attracts more fans. However the percentage of people in relation to population already attending football in Scotland compares very favourably to much of the rest of Europe. Motherwell inplemented a very aggressive price reduction policy throughout the mid to late 90s and early 00s and ended up in administration as there was little effect on crowds (granted there were other factors in play). The idea that there are thousands of people desperate to watch the SPFL if a couple of pounds was knocked off the ticket price is a total fallacy imo.

Chip shop Joe
17-11-2016, 07:30 AM
I saw a quote yesterday about EPL prices. The article was highlighting that EPL clubs were reducing prices and it had a quote from a supporters rep who says that they should be doing more as with the new TV deal every EPL club could let supporters in for free for every game and still have more money than the last deal. Staggering amount of money down there!

Gatecrasher
17-11-2016, 08:27 AM
The price of football is always over simplified imo. I saw a graphic on Facebook the other day that read:

And of course there are about 500 comments all saying 'spot on', 'well said', 'disgrace' and so on. No thought is ever given to the completely different environments that Alloa or Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen for that matter are competing in compared to the likes of Bayern Munich.

For those dining at the top table income from ticket prices is far less important than for those picking up the crumbs. We don't have lucrative TV deals, Champions League income, multi million pound kit deals, multiple sponsorships with global brands for every aspect of the club that is marketable and so on. Bayern Munich can afford to lose £3-4M a year by reducing ticket prices, that's a massive chunk of turnover for the bigger clubs in Scotland and the stuff of dreams for the smaller clubs. No one is getting rich from Scottish football (with a few obvious exceptions in the recent past). The prices being charged are enabling clubs to continue to operate at the modest level they are now.

Of course the argument will be that lower prices attracts more fans. However the percentage of people in relation to population already attending football in Scotland compares very favourably to much of the rest of Europe. Motherwell inplemented a very aggressive price reduction policy throughout the mid to late 90s and early 00s and ended up in administration as there was little effect on crowds (granted there were other factors in play). The idea that there are thousands of people desperate to watch the SPFL if a couple of pounds was knocked off the ticket price is a total fallacy imo.

I saw the same/similar post and I agree with what you say, one of the most liked posts was do you want 10000 fans at £25 or 25000 at £10,i just shook my head.

Canon Hannan
17-11-2016, 09:15 AM

OGC Nice £10
Hibs £22

OGC Nice play PSG, Marseille and Monaco.
Hibs play Falkirk, United and Morton.

OGC Nice have beer.
Hibs have coke.

Pretty Boy
17-11-2016, 09:32 AM
OGC Nice £10
Hibs £22

OGC Nice play PSG, Marseille and Monaco.
Hibs play Falkirk, United and Morton.

OGC Nice have beer.
Hibs have coke.

Population of Nice urban are - 1.05M
Edinburgh - 464 000

Population of France - 66.7M
Scotland - 5.4M

Pro clubs in Nice - 1
Edinburgh - 2

Average Nice attendance last season - 18227
Hibs - 9291

French football TV deal value - 726.5M Euros (as of 2014)
Scottish - No exact figures but an increase of £3.75M this year was hailed as 'lucrative'

Your comparing oranges with apples.

stuart-farquhar
17-11-2016, 09:42 AM
Edinburgh - 464 000

Scotland - 5.4M

Pro clubs in Nice - 1
Edinburgh - 2

Hibs - 9291

Scottish - No exact figures but an increase of £3.75M this year was hailed as 'lucrative'

Population Of Edinburgh In 2016
January 23, 2016 - Archive, City
Edinburgh is the capital city of Scotland, situated in Lothian on the south shore of the Firth of Forth. It is the second most crowded city in Scotland and the seventh most crowded in the United Kingdom. The mid-year population prediction for 2014 is 492,680. The city lies at the heart of a Functional Urban Area with a population in the year 2011 of 834,648. The city locale has a population of 1,330,480.

Ok loads of scope for debate.

Pretty Boy
17-11-2016, 09:45 AM
Population Of Edinburgh In 2016
January 23, 2016 - Archive, City
Edinburgh is the capital city of Scotland, situated in Lothian on the south shore of the Firth of Forth. It is the second most crowded city in Scotland and the seventh most crowded in the United Kingdom. The mid-year population prediction for 2014 is 492,680. The city lies at the heart of a Functional Urban Area with a population in the year 2011 of 834,648. The city locale has a population of 1,330,480.

Ok loads of scope for debate.
That urban area includes muchnof the south east of Scotland.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

High-On-Hibs
17-11-2016, 10:13 AM
If I knew it was a link to the DR, I wouldn't have clicked on it. :rolleyes:

eastcoasthibby
17-11-2016, 10:14 AM
I think the varied views all have merit in their own right, but I think there are some fundemental aspects of what is being discussed and that is,about the reality of where we are and there us no quick fix to improving our game.
The SFA and SPFL and whoever else hangs in as well, are not open and committed to putting together a joint group that works together to develop and change our football structure and product, with proper business planning that is shared in its responsibilies and aims. They are vying for their own viewpoint and perceived best interests and can't get themselves together, because of self interest and fear of getting it wrong.
As I said there is no quick fix, the strategy needs to have a working group that has the right people with a proactive and focussed mind set of taking Scottish football forward. The working group needs to be made up of people with a variety of skills,and experience/skills, that love our game, that are empowered to put together options, through fan, player, club boards, media, sponsors, etc, etc via research and discussion that then put together as viable options. If we need to pay to have this group in place then so be it, the financial outlay will be minimal in relation to the future benefits of our game.
That SFA/SPFL sign up jointly to agree to work with this group to produce viable options over a 2,year research period, to produce the options that have outcomes and timeframes that are all feared to significantly improve Scottish Football under one Governing body only.
Football is a number of businesses , managed locally and Governed by a number of bodies, whilst clubs need to be managed individually a single Governing body is a must.
Yes I know dream on, I believe the diverse interests of the bodies managing our game currently are totally responsible for the state of our game and need challenged on it by fans ..as only they can really make the changes needed, if they want to, if most of them can see beyond their ego's and self interests ..we may get what we need, so perhaps the role if fans UN this is greater , it's our money that holds Scottish football together !!??
Well glad I got that of my chest .You will have gathered I feel that we can improve Scottish football as a product and an enjoyable activity, to play or watch, but are being let down hugely by Boards and Managing bodies in our game, so full of their self importance and own entities, that they are killing our national sport (on a much smaller scale a bit like referees on match days ) 😊😋
Until we take a broader look at the game we will debate this for years to come or maybe not if things decline as they appear to be as our games finances reduce yearly !!?? As is intimated

green&left
17-11-2016, 10:18 AM
That urban area includes muchnof the south east of Scotland.

There are other teams I've seen in countries with a standard of football similar to Scotlands...

Cracovia Krakow - 28zloty (About a fiver)
Slovan Bratislava - 7 euros
Union Berlin - 12 euros
FC Ujpest 1500HUF (about 6 quid)
Keep getting emails from Brondby's ticket marketing offering tickets for 99DK

Those teams i'd imagine would hold their own easily in the SPL. They don't have lucrative TV deals and sponsorships like the premier league or bundesliga but can allow their fans in for a few quid. Players wages being pushed up as we're western europe, close to England and have the OF in our league? Its certainly not due to the standard of players we're watching...

Either way, and i know there are reasons but £22 for Raith, Falkirk, Dundee, Ross County etc etc is a rip-off, as is £28 for Hertz, Celtic and Rangers. Likewise a fiver for a frozen pie and luke warm bovril...

Pretty Boy
17-11-2016, 10:28 AM
There are other teams I've seen in countries with a standard of football similar to Scotlands...

Cracovia Krakow - 28zloty (About a fiver)
Slovan Bratislava - 7 euros
Union Berlin - 12 euros
FC Ujpest 1500HUF (about 6 quid)
Keep getting emails from Brondby's ticket marketing offering tickets for 99DK

Those teams i'd imagine would hold their own easily in the SPL. They don't have lucrative TV deals and sponsorships like the premier league or bundesliga but can allow their fans in for a few quid. Players wages being pushed up as we're western europe, close to England and have the OF in our league? Its certainly not due to the standard of players we're watching...

Either way, and i know there are reasons but £22 for Raith, Falkirk, Dundee, Ross County etc etc is a rip-off, as is £28 for Hertz, Celtic and Rangers. Likewise a fiver for a frozen pie and luke warm bovril...

https://saintinasia.wordpress.com/2012/07/06/the-sfaspl-tv-myth-how-we-compare-to-europe/

This blog has a comparison between TV deal across Europe's 'smaller' league and the only one that compare unfavourably to the SPFL is Poland.

I'd love to see lower ticket prices because it would benefit someone like myself who actually attends football regularly. Until there is proof that it would actually increase attendance and/or other revenue streams are increased the it just seems a sure fire way to lose money. As we have evidence this season with Hibs, the best way to increase attendance is success on the park. I'd rather have a sound plan in place rather than bow to snappy sound bites or attempt to appease fans who are always looking for the next excuse not to attend anyway.

green&left
17-11-2016, 10:39 AM
https://saintinasia.wordpress.com/2012/07/06/the-sfaspl-tv-myth-how-we-compare-to-europe/

This blog has a comparison between TV deal across Europe's 'smaller' league and the only one that compare unfavourably to the SPFL is Poland.

I'd love to see lower ticket prices because it would benefit someone like myself who actually attends football regularly. Until there is proof that it would actually increase attendance and/or other revenue streams are increased the it just seems a sure fire way to lose money. As we have evidence this season with Hibs, the best way to increase attendance is success on the park. I'd rather have a sound plan in place rather than bow to snappy sound bites or attempt to appease fans who are always looking for the next excuse not to attend anyway.

That basically confirmed then that we're getting shafted with our TV deal?

What does Switzerland, Belguim, Norway and Denmark offer for their TV deals to be 2/3 times as much as ours?

With the viewing figures the OF pull in from RoI, Northern Ireland, Scotland and England i didn't expect our TV deal to be as bad as that...

Pretty Boy
17-11-2016, 10:50 AM
That basically confirmed then that we're getting shafted with our TV deal?

What does Switzerland, Belguim, Norway and Denmark offer for their TV deals to be 2/3 times as much as ours?

With the viewing figures the OF pull in from RoI, Northern Ireland, Scotland and England i didn't expect our TV deal to be as bad as that...
I think we'd all agree at least part of the answer to that is obvious.

The game here has been talked down and badly marketed by those supposed to be running and promoting it. The clubs have to take their share of the blame as well as they have allowed these clowns to remain in position.

NAE NOOKIE
17-11-2016, 12:06 PM

Perfect summing up :top marks

Boyle89
17-11-2016, 12:32 PM

That blog made for some pretty horrific reading if the figures are accurate.

Canon Hannan
17-11-2016, 12:47 PM
Edinburgh - 464 000

Scotland - 5.4M

Pro clubs in Nice - 1
Edinburgh - 2

Hibs - 9291

Nice is twined with Edinburgh mate. Same size.

Most people support Marseille or Italian teams in the area.

Monaco is 8 miles away and more successful.

Nice are poorly supported and have a rubbish history.

The club have no money. Until recently.

All French teams charge lower amounts