PDA

View Full Version : Hearts ... a Scottish institution?

NAE NOOKIE
16-11-2016, 05:58 PM
In the Scotsman article quoted on the Hertz stand thread on here auld pishy breeks repeats the 'Hearts are a Scottish institution' mantra that is often spewed out by Yams .... OK then, here's the simple question ...... why.

At no time in the history of Scottish football have they been a dominant club, so that cant be it. There are a number of clubs in Scotland with a longer history, so that cant be it. There are a number of clubs in Scotland outwith the old firm who have gone further in Europe than they have including Dundee and Dunfermline and not forgetting Hibs, so that cant be it.

As far as I know they have never been at the forefront of innovation in football, not pioneers of European football or stuff like floodlights or strip advertising for example, so that cant be it.

Now looking at it objectively the Yams can lay claim to a fine history ( if you wipe out the Romanov years ) and outwith the old firm their record stands up well to every other club in the professional era on a domestic level. But they are far from being a stand out club in terms of all of the above, so I ask the question again ...... what have they done to justify their 'self proclaimed' boast of being 'a Scottish institution' as fatty Foulkes claimed in the Scotsman?

Smartie
16-11-2016, 06:08 PM
Their most positive contribution to Scottish society has been as a sex offenders rehabilitation "institution".

Keith_M
16-11-2016, 06:10 PM
Anybody that follows them should be IN an Institution.

Maybe that's why he said it.

HIBERNIAN-0762
16-11-2016, 06:17 PM
Deluded to the hilt, hiding behind masonic and political fronts to get what they want, they are without doubt the most obnoxious club in recent memory.

Hate them with a passion, they are nothing, absolutely zero.

Joe6-2
16-11-2016, 06:18 PM
Dillusional institution!

WhileTheChief..
16-11-2016, 06:20 PM
He probably meant 'club'. He's no the brightest.

Bostonhibby
16-11-2016, 06:27 PM
WTF? Up until a couple of years ago they were rejoicing in not even being Scottish owned any more - being a privately owned subsidiary of a Lithuanian business that we now know was being funded by money being withheld from Scottish Businesses and charities.

Institution? that'll be a no then.

Mind you we all know what sort of people end up in institutions:wink:

GreenLake
16-11-2016, 06:40 PM
Scottish prostitution

Aldo
16-11-2016, 07:09 PM
They are definitely an institution... an institution that robbed local businesses and charities, including the Lady Haig Poppy Fund. They are the club with no shame!

Simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eyrie
16-11-2016, 07:29 PM
So is Carstairs (with apologies to the patients there).

Bostonhibby
17-11-2016, 08:05 AM
http://georgefoulkes.blogspot.co.uk/

I have a job taking wee George seriously.

green&left
17-11-2016, 08:25 AM
In the Scotsman article quoted on the Hertz stand thread on here auld pishy breeks repeats the 'Hearts are a Scottish institution' mantra that is often spewed out by Yams .... OK then, here's the simple question ...... why.

At no time in the history of Scottish football have they been a dominant club, so that cant be it. There are a number of clubs in Scotland with a longer history, so that cant be it. There are a number of clubs in Scotland outwith the old firm who have gone further in Europe than they have including Dundee and Dunfermline and not forgetting Hibs, so that cant be it.

As far as I know they have never been at the forefront of innovation in football, not pioneers of European football or stuff like floodlights or strip advertising for example, so that cant be it.

Now looking at it objectively the Yams can lay claim to a fine history ( if you wipe out the Romanov years ) and outwith the old firm their record stands up well to every other club in the professional era on a domestic level. But they are far from being a stand out club in terms of all of the above, so I ask the question again ...... what have they done to justify their 'self proclaimed' boast of being 'a Scottish institution' as fatty Foulkes claimed in the Scotsman?

Dunno why you're bothered about it/them. Let the ****s think what they want about themselves.

lyonhibs
17-11-2016, 10:32 AM
Pishy Breeks had presumably been at the complimentary brandy again. I wouldn't take too much notice of what he says.

That said, they were the dominant Scottish club in the late 50's as we were in the early 50's.

In a landscape so devoid of landmarks as the Scottish football one currently is, I'd call both Edinburgh teams institutions (if I had a chronic case of wee man syndrome and cared about such terms being - or not - applied to my team)

NAE NOOKIE
17-11-2016, 12:03 PM
Dunno why you're bothered about it/them. Let the ****s think what they want about themselves.

It doesn't 'bother' me in the slightest, but I am interested in football history and I was just curious as to why Hertz appear to think theirs makes them unique enough to be considered a Scottish institution.

If an ability to make claims about yourself in order to try and look interesting is a factor then Hertz are indeed unique :greengrin

jacomo
18-11-2016, 10:22 AM
Biggest bottlers in Scottish football?

Moulin Yarns
18-11-2016, 10:31 AM

an organization, establishment, foundation, society, or the like, devoted to the promotion of a particular cause or program, especially one of a public, educational, religious, or charitable character: This college is the best institution of its kind.

the building devoted to such work.

a public or private place for the care or confinement of inmates, especially mental patients or other persons with physical or mental disabilities.

Sociology. a well-established and structured pattern of behavior or of relationships that is accepted as a fundamental part of a culture, as marriage:
the institution of the family.

any established law, custom, etc.

any familiar, long-established person, thing, or practice; fixture.

the act of instituting or setting up; establishment: the institution of laws.

I guess he meant number 6, but number 1 is more apt :greengrin

Deansy
18-11-2016, 11:02 AM
They are definitely an institution... an institution that robbed local businesses and charities, including the Lady Haig Poppy Fund. They are the club with no shame!

Simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As with their 'Big-Bro's over in Govan, both clubs were labelled 'Institutions' - by sheer coincidence, it occurred when both were at the height of their crises (or bluntly - when both clubs were caught after many, many years of cheating Scottish Football). It's just another damning indictment of the Scottish 'Sporting' media and those associated with it - neither club has been called out for what it truly is - CHEATS !

Bostonhibby
18-11-2016, 11:09 AM

an organization, establishment, foundation, society, or the like, devoted to the promotion of a particular cause or program, especially one of a public, educational, religious, or charitable character: This college is the best institution of its kind.

the building devoted to such work.

a public or private place for the care or confinement of inmates, especially mental patients or other persons with physical or mental disabilities.

Sociology. a well-established and structured pattern of behavior or of relationships that is accepted as a fundamental part of a culture, as marriage:
the institution of the family.

any established law, custom, etc.

any familiar, long-established person, thing, or practice; fixture.

the act of instituting or setting up; establishment: the institution of laws.

I guess he meant number 6, but number 1 is more apt :greengrin

I am guessing the swear filter took out number 8 - Shameless thieving *****.

Arises where it relates to a football club which shamelessly bought "success" by stealing charity and pension assets as well as bumping local businesses without casting a backward glance as they went into administration when the thefts had to stop.

A few years later they brazenly brag about funds they think they have and cheerfully spend whilst their creditors can't.