PDA

View Full Version : Joe Baker

thebakerboy
15-11-2016, 02:36 PM
Currently on BT3 playing for Arsenal and scored with a diving header.

brog
15-11-2016, 03:24 PM
Currently on BT3 playing for Arsenal and scored with a diving header.

Was that the Liverpool game?

thebakerboy
15-11-2016, 04:51 PM
No it was Sheffield and Baker scored 2 , since then had Johnny McLeod playing for Villa and currently Davie Gibson scoring for Leicester. Classic Match Of The Day on BTsport3.

frazeHFC
15-11-2016, 05:09 PM
My flatmate of the last 2 years is related to him in some way. He had no idea just how big a player he was until I showed him his career path and goal records at each of his clubs.

brog
16-11-2016, 10:51 AM
No it was Sheffield and Baker scored 2 , since then had Johnny McLeod playing for Villa and currently Davie Gibson scoring for Leicester. Classic Match Of The Day on BTsport3.
Thanks, wish I'd seen. I've seen the classic diving header against Liverpool a few times but never tire of it!

southsider
16-11-2016, 02:01 PM
Full England cap at 18 was our Joe and the first player ever to make his England debut whilst playing (for Hibs) outwith the Football League. It took more than 40 years to do it again with Owen Hargreaves at Bayern Munich.

lyonhibs
16-11-2016, 02:46 PM
It's a great football trivia question for English mates. They've not got a clue, at least those of my generation don't.

Famous Fiver
16-11-2016, 08:17 PM
A memory I'll never forget was when he kissed the turf at the Hands off Hibs rally. Well up every time I see it.

The goals wee 'nicker' set up for him put him right up there with the greats. These were the days.

cmcd
16-11-2016, 09:00 PM
I have tonly laugh when posters rave about Cummings and when he doesn't play well they say oh he is only a young boy . Then I think of Joe who was not only a great goal scorer but a great player

O'Rourke3
17-11-2016, 08:38 AM
Full England cap at 18 was our Joe and the first player ever to make his England debut whilst playing (for Hibs) outwith the Football League. It took more than 40 years to do it again with Owen Hargreaves at Bayern Munich.
He told a great story about being in a taxi to Wembley where the driver heard the accent and said I hope you lot get beat today...... Naw ye dinnae was the reply. Would not beleive he was a starter for England

Sent via the bushes @ EM

Peevemor
17-11-2016, 09:09 AM
He told a great story about being in a taxi to Wembley where the driver heard the accent and said I hope you lot get beat today...... Naw ye dinnae was the reply. Would not beleive he was a starter for England

Sent via the bushes @ EM

The story I heard him tell (which he may well have padded out a bit) was that when Joe Baker asked to be taken to the Hotel, the taxi driver said - "that's where the England team is staying". When Joe replied that he was playing for them the following evening, the taxi driver thought he was a nutter and radioed (sp?) ahead - the police were waiting when they arrived.

brog
17-11-2016, 10:25 AM
The story I heard him tell (which he may well have padded out a bit) was that when Joe Baker asked to be taken to the Hotel, the taxi driver said - "that's where the England team is staying". When Joe replied that he was playing for them the following evening, the taxi driver thought he was a nutter and radioed (sp?) ahead - the police were waiting when they arrived.

That's pretty much the story. My fav Joe stat is from the cup tie at PBS in 1958. Yams won the league in a canter that season with an astonishing goal difference of 99!! ( & for any pedants I know it was goal average at that time ). Hawrts conceded 11 league goals at home all season but Joe scored 4 in 90 minutes. Joe was 17! An unbelievable player & a true gent who I was privileged to see playing football & get to know in later life.

ancient hibee
17-11-2016, 10:35 AM
Didn't make the Hall of Fame again despite our efforts.

One of the reasons we all took to him was he was one of our generation.The other players were men and here's this young guy showing tremendous skill and guts.

--------
17-11-2016, 10:51 AM
Didn't make the Hall of Fame again despite our efforts.

One of the reasons we all took to him was he was one of our generation.The other players were men and here's this young guy showing tremendous skill and guts.

:agree: He was the best. Nobody like him before or since.

I once asked my father (who saw them both in their prime, lucky man) who was greater - Joe Baker or Gordon Smith.

He thought for a LONG time, then said "Smith - no, Baker - no, Smith - no, Baker - aw, I don't know."

LONG LONG pause, then, "Baker."

I said, "Baker?"

And he said, "Baker."

Leithenhibby
17-11-2016, 10:41 PM
:agree: He was the best. Nobody like him before or since.

I once asked my father (who saw them both in their prime, lucky man) who was greater - Joe Baker or Gordon Smith.

He thought for a LONG time, then said "Smith - no, Baker - no, Smith - no, Baker - aw, I don't know."

LONG LONG pause, then, "Baker."

I said, "Baker?"

And he said, "Baker."

Brilliant. I saw Joe, When he returned to us v Aberdeen and scored. Loved to watch him play.

I'm I not right in saying that he scored more goals for Arsenal, than Thierry Henry over their first 90 odd games?... something in the back of my mind , but I could be wrong.