PDA

View Full Version : Xmas eve game

buktadays
14-11-2016, 01:57 PM
Does anyone know if xmas eve games are historically busy. Thinking of taking ma boy to his first game but want to take him to a busy one with a bit noise..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jones28
14-11-2016, 02:19 PM
If anything I can see it being less busy than usual tbh. 1:30 kick off as well which may or may not make a difference to the attendance.

hibeg
14-11-2016, 04:18 PM
I remember back in the mid 70s we played Ayr on Xmas Eve. There could only have been about 2 or 3000 at the match. Wasn't a money spinner for the club back then

lucky
14-11-2016, 04:39 PM
Stupid day and time. I think it will be the lowest attendance of the season

buktadays
14-11-2016, 04:43 PM
Decision made. I'll take ma lad to the Utd game after the new year. Cheers folks

Dalianwanda
14-11-2016, 05:29 PM
I'll be back for my first game this season :thumbsup:

hibee_girl
14-11-2016, 05:31 PM
If anything I can see it being less busy than usual tbh. 1:30 kick off as well which may or may not make a difference to the attendance.

It's a 1pm kick off, not 1.30

Scouse Hibee
14-11-2016, 05:50 PM
Decision made. I'll take ma lad to the Utd game after the new year. Cheers folks

Take him to both :-)

buktadays
14-11-2016, 06:09 PM
Take him to both :-)

Just wanted to make sure his first was a busy one that will make him want to return.

leither17
14-11-2016, 06:15 PM
Just wanted to make sure his first was a busy one that will make him want to return.

This Saturday should be quite busy

ruthven_raiders
14-11-2016, 06:34 PM
It's a 1pm kick off, not 1.30

Like the time, means not too late getting back home and settling in for Xmas eve, a few drinks to celebrate a win hopefully 😊

Jay
14-11-2016, 06:40 PM
Its a stupid day for a football game imo. Christmas eve is a family day with so much to do and out of towners will struggle to get transport home even with the early KO. I cant see it being a big crowd. I certainly wont be there.

Pretty Boy
14-11-2016, 06:44 PM
I'm in England for Christmas so will miss the game. Pain in the erse tbh.

RoxburghHibs
14-11-2016, 06:50 PM
xmas eve games

I'm not a religious sort but have never felt it's right to replace the word "Christ" with an "X"

Just saying :cb

Scouse Hibee
14-11-2016, 06:52 PM
I'm in England for Christmas so will miss the game. Pain in the erse tbh.

Like wise, ridiculous day for a game in my opinion.

JimBHibees
14-11-2016, 06:56 PM
Like wise, ridiculous day for a game in my opinion.

Agree don't understand it and on Boxing Day there will be no game, marketing own goal IMO.

Lancs Harp
14-11-2016, 07:20 PM
I'll be missing this one too, not travelling up and back from darkest Lancs. Its a nightmare travel day, not good for exiles. I'll be there in spirit.

Jumbo
14-11-2016, 07:31 PM
I remember back in the mid 70s we played Ayr on Xmas Eve. There could only have been about 2 or 3000 at the match. Wasn't a money spinner for the club back then

That was an evening game as well, 1-0 we won

H18 SFR
14-11-2016, 08:01 PM
Out of our group of 10 ST holders, no one is going.

Danderhall Hibs
14-11-2016, 08:04 PM
I managed to re arrange our normal Christmas Eve plans and am going but would much prefer the game to have been shifted to Boxing Day - I reckon a much better attendance would've been achieved.

Even the night before (Friday) would've been better from a family point of view.

lord bunberry
14-11-2016, 08:12 PM
I won't be going either. Boxing Day would've been perfect.

Billy Whizz
14-11-2016, 08:14 PM
Probably a bit late to rearrange, but hope someone at Hibs is reading this

Danderhall Hibs
14-11-2016, 08:15 PM
Probably a bit late to rearrange, but hope someone at Hibs is reading this

There's been threads before on this mate and all they done was make ko a bit earlier.

Maybe Raith didn't agree to a switch? Can't be Hibs' decision?

linlithgowhibbie
14-11-2016, 08:23 PM
Its not just straightforward to switch to boxing day.

We would have more folk struggling with lack of or reduced public transport.

Costs would be thru the roof with stewarding costing more than twice the normal.

Altho there are not many police the ones we pay for are also on enhanced rates.

Many of the various staff for kiosks, ticket office, hospitality suites, bar staff ect all deserve enhanced payments, all to come out of our gate receipts.

Michael
14-11-2016, 08:28 PM
Personally I quite enjoy an xmas eve game. It's on a Saturday, so what's the problem? I know some folk will be away for holidays, but you'd surely have the same issue on boxing day?

Danderhall Hibs
14-11-2016, 08:31 PM
Personally I quite enjoy an xmas eve game. It's on a Saturday, so what's the problem? I know some folk will be away for holidays, but you'd surely have the same issue on boxing day?

It's a busier family day. Also I'd have thought more folk are up visiting and are likely to attend on Boxing Day.

It'd be interesting to see the attendance figures for Eve v Boxing as my perception is bigger crowds for the latter.

Andy74
14-11-2016, 08:44 PM
If it wasn't a Saturday it's generally a working day for most people so don't see why it would suddenly become a big family day.

Danderhall Hibs
14-11-2016, 08:46 PM
If it wasn't a Saturday it's generally a working day for most people so don't see why it would suddenly become a big family day.

Are you talking about Christmas Eve?

Billy Whizz
14-11-2016, 08:54 PM
There's been threads before on this mate and all they done was make ko a bit earlier.

Maybe Raith didn't agree to a switch? Can't be Hibs' decision?

Maybe Hibs/Raith are keen to give their players Xmas day off

Tinribs
14-11-2016, 08:54 PM

Totally agree, I work most Christmas eve too.
I do think the day is a bit special as well, so maybe it would be a nice treat for the kids with a decent meal to follow. Bit trickier for anyone needing public transport in the evening but doable for townies I would think.

Danderhall Hibs
14-11-2016, 09:00 PM
Maybe Hibs/Raith are keen to give their players Xmas day off

I thought that might be the case. But then Hibs are usually keen to maximise income.

Billy Whizz
14-11-2016, 09:03 PM
I thought that might be the case. But then Hibs are usually keen to maximise income.

I think we'd get a bigger crowd on Boxing Day than Xmas eve. The bigger question is why isn't there a championship match between Xmas and New Year. There is a full premiership card on the Tuesday/Wednesday

B.H.F.C
14-11-2016, 09:12 PM
I think we'd get a bigger crowd on Boxing Day than Xmas eve. The bigger question is why isn't there a championship match between Xmas and New Year. There is a full premiership card on the Tuesday/Wednesday

Less games on the fixture list in the championship. No need for it. The season already ends a couple of weeks earlier than the premiership.

Billy Whizz
14-11-2016, 09:35 PM
Less games on the fixture list in the championship. No need for it. The season already ends a couple of weeks earlier than the premiership.

We're away to St Mirren on a Wednesday night in March

Thecat23
14-11-2016, 10:16 PM

Most places close early on Christmas Eve, I've never worked past 12pm since I was 17! Love spending it with family and watching movies. I've no interest in going to ER then but any other time I'm more than happy to be there.

So can see if others would feel the same.

the pie eater
14-11-2016, 10:42 PM
I'll be missing this one too, not travelling up and back from darkest Lancs. Its a nightmare travel day, not good for exiles. I'll be there in spirit.

Traveling from darkest wigan. On the 07.38 fi wigan returning back on the 16.52. £23 return.
Hopefully no delays and back into wigan for 19.31.

Also traveling up new years eve. Same times. £24 Return.

Sir David Gray
14-11-2016, 10:43 PM
Don't care when the game is played as I'll be there regardless but I think playing on Christmas Eve is a bit mental as it will obviously affect the crowd.

Forza Fred
14-11-2016, 10:48 PM
Most places close early on Christmas Eve, I've never worked past 12pm since I was 17! Love spending it with family and watching movies. I've no interest in going to ER then but any other time I'm more than happy to be there.

You wouldn't have liked the Turnbull Tornadoes year then,

I can recall standing with Frank Dougan in the Cow Shed on Christmas DAY, yes Christmas Day, watching Hibs v Rangers along with another 25,000 odd people.

Jamesie
14-11-2016, 10:49 PM
It's a busier family day. Also I'd have thought more folk are up visiting and are likely to attend on Boxing Day.

It's interesting how Christmas is celebrated differently! I know Christmas Eve is a much bigger affair on the continent than I have ever known it to be here but maybe I've been a bit blinkered in that - from my perspective Christmas Eve has always been a bit of a non event other than running around for last minute presents and supermarket bargains. Never really seen it as a family day really, butt his thread proves I may be in the minority! Personally I'm quite looking forward to this game as nothing should get in the way of attending, for once! :flag:

Forza Fred
14-11-2016, 11:10 PM
It's interesting how Christmas is celebrated differently! I know Christmas Eve is a much bigger affair on the continent than I have ever known it to be here but maybe I've been a bit blinkered in that - from my perspective Christmas Eve has always been a bit of a non event other than running around for last minute presents and supermarket bargains. Never really seen it as a family day really, butt his thread proves I may be in the minority! Personally I'm quite looking forward to this game as nothing should get in the way of attending, for once! :flag:

I'm recently retired but in Oz we used to get a half day and go straight to ra Boozer and get ratarsed.

I can even remember a time in Scotland when the postman made a delivery on Christmas Day by the way.
On I the other side of the ledger, when I came to Oz in the mid 70s I was amazed that on Good Friday, everything, and Imean everything, was closed on Good Friday.

Changed days I am glad to say.

Jonnyboy
14-11-2016, 11:18 PM

I can recall standing with Frank Dougan in the Cow Shed on Christmas DAY, yes Christmas Day, watching Hibs v Rangers along with another 25,000 odd people.

I was in that self same shed, Fred :greengrin

Forza Fred
14-11-2016, 11:28 PM
I was in that self same shed, Fred :greengrin

The game was also memorable for the wrongful arrest of em, 'a well known supporter' who was standing with me, on 'breach of the peace' charges.

I have to say that he genuinely was completely innocent, and the magistrate dismissed the case on hearing that 24 witnesses were in the waiting room prepared to give evidence for the defence, and the arresting officer was good enough to admit that basically he had been guided by the inspector who was down on the cinder track behind the goals, and didn't actually see him do anything, but it did result in the supporter who had been carted off to the High Street Poli station, missing his Christmas dinner, and was the source of much merriment down the Hibsclub.☺️

Jamesie
14-11-2016, 11:40 PM
I'm recently retired but in Oz we used to get a half day and go straight to ra Boozer and get ratarsed.

I can even remember a time in Scotland when the postman made a delivery on Christmas Day by the way.
On I the other side of the ledger, when I came to Oz in the mid 70s I was amazed that on Good Friday, everything, and Imean everything, was closed on Good Friday.

Where it falls on a weekday we get a half day too and quite often similar scenes follow on!

Jamesie
14-11-2016, 11:41 PM
From memory I think there might be some lower league Northern Irish game that is played on Christmas Day morning?

Jamesie
14-11-2016, 11:42 PM
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_%26_Sons_Cup - that's the one!

wookie70
14-11-2016, 11:57 PM
I'll make it a family day by taking the kids and it will let the wife wrap their presents. I wish they would play games on Christmas Day. Surely the most boring day of the year. No idea why we stopped playing games on Christmas Day. I think it was still done in the 60s possibly even 70s but Christmas all got a bit Coca Cola and American after that. Give me a Hibs game instead of a movie I have already watched.

Forza Fred
15-11-2016, 01:08 AM
I'll make it a family day by taking the kids and it will let the wife wrap their presents. I wish they would play games on Christmas Day. Surely the most boring day of the year. No idea why we stopped playing games on Christmas Day. I think it was still done in the 60s possibly even 70s but Christmas all got a bit Coca Cola and American after that. Give me a Hibs game instead of a movie I have already watched.

I too thought Christmas...because of the weather I guess, was a boring old day.

Too cauld to go out, stuck in the noose watching crap tv all day.....thought it was great if fitba was being played

Dashing Bob S
15-11-2016, 02:14 AM
I'll be there and getting torn into the alcohol and collapsing into bed at home and hopefully sleeping all through Christmas Day, to avoid the in-laws, while claiming that my drinks were spiked.

Craig_HFC
15-11-2016, 09:34 AM

Away and don't talk pish.

Renfrew_Hibby
15-11-2016, 09:41 AM

Have to agree with that, my work will be open till 6pm. Having said that, I will be off and at ER!

Smartie
15-11-2016, 09:45 AM

Still like that in a few places.

I remember queueing to get into a nightclub at the Leopardstown race track in Ireland about 15 years ago. It opened at midnight straight after Good Friday but NOTHING was allowed to open during the day over there.

It might be different now right enough but that wasn't that long ago.

I'll be at the match but I think it's mental to be playing that day. A decent festive football schedule could be worth a fortune to Hibs. Don't know whether it is Hibs or the SPFL to blame for this but it is going to cost us a fortune.

Hamish
15-11-2016, 09:49 AM

For any non Scots following this thread

Scottish dialect translated as 'I disagree somewhat with your statement'

Jonnyboy
15-11-2016, 10:28 AM

😂😂

lapsedhibee
15-11-2016, 10:41 AM

:greengrin

Can you do "away and fling ***** at yourself" too?

Geo_1875
15-11-2016, 11:05 AM
The game was also memorable for the wrongful arrest of em, 'a well known supporter' who was standing with me, on 'breach of the peace' charges.

I have to say that he genuinely was completely innocent, and the magistrate dismissed the case on hearing that 24 witnesses were in the waiting room prepared to give evidence for the defence, and the arresting officer was good enough to admit that basically he had been guided by the inspector who was down on the cinder track behind the goals, and didn't actually see him do anything, but it did result in the supporter who had been carted off to the High Street Poli station, missing his Christmas dinner, and was the source of much merriment down the Hibsclub.☺️

Was that Colin Stein's first game back? Was it also the last time "a well known supporter" missed a meal?

hibbymac
15-11-2016, 11:11 AM

This game is on the Friday night, 19.45 KO, just in case you didn't realise. :aok:

Thecat23
15-11-2016, 11:17 AM

Calm yourself to a panic 😂😂

I apologise to all the late Xmas eve workers out there.

#PrayforCraig

Thecat23
15-11-2016, 11:18 AM

Couldn't do that Fred, I'd be to busy getting stuck into the Xmas dinner to worry about Hibs 😁

Craig_HFC
15-11-2016, 11:20 AM
Calm yourself to a panic [emoji23][emoji23]

I apologise to all the late Xmas eve workers out there.

#PrayforCraig

I'm serenely calm because Christmas Eve is a Saturday this year so I'm not working. No need for your prayers.

My post was just pointing out that your massive generalisation was pish.

[emoji6]

Thecat23
15-11-2016, 12:25 PM
I'm serenely calm because Christmas Eve is a Saturday this year so I'm not working. No need for your prayers.

My post was just pointing out that your massive generalisation was pish.

[emoji6]

So you don't agree that most places close early Xmas eve?

Amadou_Konte
15-11-2016, 12:40 PM
Imagine having a game on a Saturday, what a stupid day for a game...

Heedersnvolleys
15-11-2016, 12:42 PM

I remember queueing to get into a nightclub at the Leopardstown race track in Ireland about 15 years ago. It opened at midnight straight after Good Friday but NOTHING was allowed to open during the day over there.

I'll be at the match but I think it's mental to be playing that day. A decent festive football schedule could be worth a fortune to Hibs. Don't know whether it is Hibs or the SPFL to blame for this but it is going to cost us a fortune.

Been in that very nightclub amazing to think it felt you were in the middle of nowhere and people were coming from miles around. Great night from what I can recall.

Been to Johny Foxes?

lugz
15-11-2016, 12:46 PM
I'm away down south for Christmas so won't make it.

Billy Whizz
15-11-2016, 12:47 PM
I wish all games on the winter were 1pm/1.30pm ko's

Craig_HFC
15-11-2016, 12:50 PM
So you don't agree that most places close early Xmas eve?

I think that was pretty clear, aye.

Thecat23
15-11-2016, 12:53 PM
I think that was pretty clear, aye.

No bother 👍🏼

Forza Fred
15-11-2016, 01:06 PM
Was that Colin Stein's first game back? Was it also the last time "a well known supporter" missed a meal?

I think Stein scored the winner for thevHuns that day.

And the well known supporter missed his Christmas dinner, and had to make do, if I remember correctly, with a High Street pie, courtesy of Edinburgh's finest.☺️

Smartie
15-11-2016, 01:12 PM
Been in that very nightclub amazing to think it felt you were in the middle of nowhere and people were coming from miles around. Great night from what I can recall.

Been to Johny Foxes?

I went out with a girl from South Dublin from about 2000 - 2005 so I was a regular visitor over there at that time.

Good times, the country was booming and it was a positive place then.

Yes, I've been to Johnny Foxes, cracking pub. I remember going just after the smoking ban had come in and they were still getting to grips with it. They parked a big old bus out in the car park for folk to smoke in - there was a bigger party going on in that bus at times than there was in the pub.

I've been trying to remember the name of the club - I think it was something like Club '92. Strange place, but absolutely brilliant fun.

Blaster
15-11-2016, 01:13 PM
Imagine having a game on a Saturday, what a stupid day for a game...

Yeah cause it's just a normal Saturday right enough

I will make it anyway but would have preferred Boxing Day which has been the normal day of these games in recent years

Albanian Hibs
15-11-2016, 01:25 PM
Christmas Eve is a saturday. Most places will close as per usual times. With the early kick off it means you still have couple hours to do any last minute shopping. Whats with all the spending time with family, wrapping presents nonsense? You get to spend Christmas Day with your family and why wait til Christmas Eve to wrap presents? Do it the day before!

I cant wait and I will be going to the game with my 5 year old..but my presents are already wrapped though 😎

ruthven_raiders
15-11-2016, 09:37 PM
I wish all games on the winter were 1pm/1.30pm ko's

Agree with this, 1pm kick off at this time of year would be great, with young kids prefer earlier kick offs, doesn't eat into your evening

eastterrace
15-11-2016, 10:04 PM

And the well known supporter missed his Christmas dinner, and had to make do, if I remember correctly, with a High Street pie, courtesy of Edinburgh's finest.[emoji5]

Yes sure you are right mind we pounded these Huns and mcloy was a lucky barsteward kept these lucky Huns in the game and stein scored in the last minute

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bishop Hibee
15-11-2016, 10:16 PM
Boxing Day or the 27th would have seen a bigger crowd. Lots of far away Hibees come home on Christmas Eve. Me, my brothers and mates usually make a day out of it inc beers, a curry and a wee poker game if possible.

Jonnyboy
15-11-2016, 10:45 PM

And the well known supporter missed his Christmas dinner, and had to make do, if I remember correctly, with a High Street pie, courtesy of Edinburgh's finest.☺️

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=78014

lyonhibs
16-11-2016, 06:50 AM
Looking forward to my first "proper" game of the season ("Attack of the killer seagulls" aka the Motherwell friendly doesn't count) against United on Jan 6th.

wearethehibs
16-11-2016, 08:09 AM
Im more of the opinion that Boxing day is a "family day". As has been pointed out, If christmas eve was a weekday, a lot would have been working anyway. Quite happy with the time of the game.

16-11-2016, 01:12 PM
Ill be going but I imagine it will be a far lower attendance. A lot of folk are away for christmas, have things to organise, family to see etc etc.

Bristolhibby
16-11-2016, 02:24 PM

Still like that. My mate was over there for a stag do and it was over Easter weekend. They had a non drinking activity in the day, then they could get a drink at the hotel bar (guests only), at midnight they headed into Temple Bar where the nightclubs had just opened up for 4 hours!

J

Steve20
16-11-2016, 02:31 PM
As pointed out, Boxing day is more of a family day than Christmas Eve.

Christmas Eve being on a Saturday is fine for a Football game. Much better than Boxing day and now means I can watch the racing on Boxing day. :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
16-11-2016, 04:30 PM
As pointed out, Boxing day is more of a family day than Christmas Eve.

Christmas Eve being on a Saturday is fine for a Football game. Much better than Boxing day and now means I can watch the racing on Boxing day. :greengrin

Boxing Day is a get out the house day.

Got to wonder why they don't change the day of the racing to Christmas Eve though eh!

Amadou_Konte
17-11-2016, 10:27 AM
Don't see why taking a couple of hours out of the day is a big deal. Christmas Eve is usually a working day for a lot if not the majority of people, so it falling on a Saturday is ideal. Still plenty of time after the game for family stuff, wrapping, watching a movie etc.

Bristolhibby
17-11-2016, 11:23 AM
Boxing Day or the 27th would have seen a bigger crowd. Lots of far away Hibees come home on Christmas Eve. Me, my brothers and mates usually make a day out of it inc beers, a curry and a wee poker game if possible.

Aye, I usually come up on Boxing Day, meet up with the family and all go to the game.

Not this year. The Hogmanay game is the same. May have been able to make the 1st.

J