PDA

View Full Version : Harris - Will he make it?

hibee1875
13-11-2016, 02:42 PM
Harris is obviously doing something right in training and Lennon must see something in him (personal coaching through development games) but why can't he turn it on on a Saturday??

Twice yesterday he was played in and he hadn't read the situation and got caught on his heels. At another point the ball was going out near the corner and him and Holt both went for it. He seemed to hesitated and then got inHolts way. Holt then gives him an earful!

I'd love be for him to make it, he's shown glimpses of quality at times but is his time here running out? I feel he needs a big, big performance or he'll be away come January.

Diclonius
13-11-2016, 02:44 PM
His confidence has been gone ever since that Motherwell player clattered him in 2013. If he gets it back, maybe.

Scouse Hibee
13-11-2016, 02:47 PM
No he won't at this level.

staunchhibby
13-11-2016, 02:56 PM
Sorry but do not think he is bringing any benefit whatsoever to the team.Time for him to move on.

Pretty Boy
13-11-2016, 02:58 PM
Simple answer, no.

He's just one of many young players who showed a bit potential but hasn't built on it when required. Had a bad injury and was poorly treated by Butcher but that was a long time ago now and he shows no sign of any inprovement whatsoever.

BSEJVT
13-11-2016, 03:03 PM
I have seen signs of life about him in some of the development games.

I have 2 conflicting thoughts on yesterday:

1) Either Lennon has decided its sink or swim timefor him

or

2) It was a complete miss -step by Lennon throwing him on and is likely to set the guy back further again

Imo its 2)

It is hard enough for any sub to make an impact, but yesterday was the last place to be bringing someone on with the apparent mental fragility Harris has.

Different if he has been coming on every week , but he hasn't

Personally I would have had him playing more often in games that were won for a spell and building him up.

Yesterday didn't go well at all for him and IMO he looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights

Such a pity as the initial breakthrough Harris was one of the more potentially exciting players we have brought through in the last 30 years

Thecat23
13-11-2016, 03:05 PM
Nope and will be moved in Jan I reckon. Offers nothing now which is a shame, but he'll end up playing with Alloa or Livvi.

cleanyman
13-11-2016, 03:07 PM
No.

He's terrible.

Came on yesterday...cannae read a game....cannae pass.

Get rid

Bishop Hibee
13-11-2016, 03:10 PM
He can play at Championship level. He proved that at QoS last season. To ensure promotion we need Premiership players in as many positions as possible. He'll be a bit part player this season. I thought the passes to him yesterday were over hit though. We were more of a threat with him and Boyle wide as opposed to Gray and Stevenson wide.

Deansy
13-11-2016, 03:16 PM
Heart-breaking if he doesn't - when he first appeared, I've never been so excited by an emerging Hibs-player in years !!. I've been a fan of his ever since but sadly, it looks like that Motherwell-game/tackle has really killed him - which is surprising as in interviews he comes across as very intelligent and thoughtful and I thought he had the wherewithal to get over it but no sign yet.

iwasthere1972
13-11-2016, 03:20 PM
Shame but I really can't see him with a future at Hibs. A couple of times yesterday he either couldn't be bothered chasing the ball when we were attacking or just failed to read the game.

He'll probably only be remembered for his goal against the same opposition at Hampden back in 2013.

Sir David Gray
13-11-2016, 03:22 PM
I really thought we had a star in the making when he first broke through into the first team four years ago.

Sadly he hasn't really progressed as I had hoped he would over the last two or three years and if I'm being honest, he's probably gone backwards.

I would be surprised if he's a Hibs player beyond the end of this season.

HappyAsHellas
13-11-2016, 03:26 PM
His natural position is wide left, so we put him on at wide right meaning he's always going to cut inside which immediately negates the reason you put him on in the first place. When he did try to go outside, Hippolyte had him on toast so he wasn't likely to try it again. He was the top supplier for QOTS last season so he still has something to offer, but I imagine his game time will be very limited, and utterly pointless if we stick him wide right again.

easty
13-11-2016, 03:29 PM
Not at Hibs.

He's got decent pace, and it's probably quite hard for the opposition to read what he's about to do, given that he doesn't even look like he knows!

Wish the laddie all the best, but he needs the be moved on.

J-C
13-11-2016, 03:46 PM
Echo what everyone else is saying, no.

2 or 3 times yesterday he didn't read what was happening and cut inside far too often when he's meant to be playing wide right, plus he bottled it badly in a 50/50, no heart for the game and looked like a wee boy lost yesterday.

J-C
13-11-2016, 03:48 PM
His natural position is wide left, so we put him on at wide right meaning he's always going to cut inside which immediately negates the reason you put him on in the first place. When he did try to go outside, Hippolyte had him on toast so he wasn't likely to try it again. He was the top supplier for QOTS last season so he still has something to offer, but I imagine his game time will be very limited, and utterly pointless if we stick him wide right again.

Why is he a wide left player when he's right footed? Yes he can play out left but he is a right footed winger.

Gatecrasher
13-11-2016, 03:50 PM
Nope, the minute he came on we lost any threat down Thame right hand side, he shows one or two nice passes but not enough for us imo. I have no idea why Lennon is persisting with him. That's just harsh but honest.

Libby Hibby
13-11-2016, 03:55 PM
Yes but not with Hibs

Michael
13-11-2016, 03:56 PM
He's basically Alan O'Brien now. Too scared to make a mistake and when he does take a risk he is easily dispossessed.

whiskas
13-11-2016, 03:59 PM
Needs to hit the gym- too easily muscled off the ball. If he toughens up and regains some confidence maybe but at the moment doesn't offer anything. Even his teammates didn't seem to want to pass to him

bob12345
13-11-2016, 04:00 PM
Saw him tear his opponent to shreds in the U20s vs Dundee United and reminded me of Harris when he first broke through.

He rarely plays for the U20s though, which I don't understand. A run of good performances for them is his best chance.

calumhibee1
13-11-2016, 04:00 PM
He's basically Alan O'Brien now. Too scared to make a mistake and when he does take a risk he is easily dispossessed.

He offers even less. It even looked like the other players tried to avoid passing to him if they could.

Borderhibbie76
13-11-2016, 04:06 PM
Not good enough...cut our losses and release him from.his contract in Jan...never done anything to prove otherwise and imo is a waste of a wage

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

NadeAteMyLunch!
13-11-2016, 04:13 PM
Never seen a player glide past opponents with more ease than he did when he first broke through. Brutal to watch him struggle so much now. It's like he's forgotten how to beat a man. Would love him to get back to the player that first broke through but just can't see how it can happen. His confidence seems utterly shot to bits.

.Sean.
13-11-2016, 04:18 PM
Clearly not mentally tough enough. Ball's in his court as to where he goes from here but he's had umpteen chances here and taken zero so for both his sake and the clubs it's time for him to move on.

calumhibee1
13-11-2016, 04:58 PM
Clearly not mentally tough enough. Ball's in his court as to where he goes from here but he's had umpteen chances here and taken zero so for both his sake and the clubs it's time for him to move on.

Agreed. Not got the mentality to be a pro footballer.

Hibby Bairn
13-11-2016, 05:04 PM
That's the spirit folks. Love it when we get right behind our young players. They must get so much confidence from this knowing how much we are behind them.

Anyone for another Cummings thread?

hibee1875
13-11-2016, 05:13 PM
That's the spirit folks. Love it when we get right behind our young players. They must get so much confidence from this knowing how much we are behind them.

Nope. This is a thread about Alex Harris. The Hibs player and us being Hibs fans who watch him play are discussing our opinions on him.

The general jist is we want him to make it, however we fear he won't due to issues only he can resolve.

No mention of Cummings. Why mention him???

Hi Heid Yin
13-11-2016, 05:30 PM
Harris has been around forever, or so it seems, and still he can't break through - despite every man and his dog rooting for him and every manager giving him yet another chance.
I really do feel that he is one of those players who will never make it at Easter Road, but might, just might, go on to have a modicum of success with a Morton or a Dumbarton.
So, I would let him go at the first opportunity with good luck wishes ringing in his ears.

Pretty Boy
13-11-2016, 05:31 PM

We're not exactly talking about some young boy who's played a handful of games and is being written off.

Harris is 22 now and has played nearly 100 career games, a decent chunk of which were in the top league. If he's not showing anything now then it's unlikely he's going to.

emerald green
13-11-2016, 05:35 PM
Criticising individual Hibs players isn't good, but the well being and success of the club has to come first and foremost. That may seem harsh to some.

I don't understand why Neil Lennon released Danny Carmichael but persists with Alex Harris, who offers little IMO. I believe a fit Carmichael might have been the better option but we'll never know now.

I wonder if Carmichael will be playing for QOS next week at ER? Is he back in their squad?

California-Hibs
13-11-2016, 05:51 PM
No.

Billy Whizz
13-11-2016, 05:55 PM
Criticising individual Hibs players isn't good, but the well being and success of the club has to come first and foremost. That may seem harsh to some.

I don't understand why Neil Lennon released Danny Carmichael but persists with Alex Harris, who offers little IMO. I believe a fit Carmichael might have been the better option but we'll never know now.

I wonder if Carmichael will be playing for QOS next week at ER? Is he back in their squad?

Not sure if he's played for them yet,wasn't involved yesterday

Scouse Hibee
13-11-2016, 05:57 PM

That's the spirit come on here moaning because someone has asked the opinions of Hibs supporters on a Hibs forum about a Hibs player. If you want to start a similar thread about Cummings then feel free but don't cry when folk give an opinion. Maybe football forums are not really for you.

Dalianwanda
13-11-2016, 05:59 PM
His confidence has been gone ever since that Motherwell player clattered him in 2013. If he gets it back, maybe.

Confidence never leaves you just you start paying attention to the wrong thoughts which give the illusion its gone.Do Hibs have a sports psychologist? This should be a simple enough thing to fix, if its stressful thinking that's the case..I've worked with gymnasts with serious injuries who have quickly overcome the thoughts of what has happened in the past, allowing them to perform..If it is confidence then he's either getting the wrong help or not listening to the help he's getting.

fishybeaver
13-11-2016, 06:03 PM
Last time he played at ER he scored and was motm. Yesterday we looked better when him and Boyle went wide he the sort of player who may only get past his opponents 1 out of 3 attempt but his use of the ball when he does get past his man is very good as his assist record shows. Not really sure what people actually expect from him.

Hermit Crab
13-11-2016, 06:07 PM
Not right now, he's a waste of a jersey at the moment.

emerald green
13-11-2016, 06:08 PM
Not sure if he's played for them yet,wasn't involved yesterday

OK thanks.

hibsbollah
13-11-2016, 06:17 PM

Agree completely. It doesn't seem to matter who the manager is, we seem to have a pathology about playing players out of position.
If he gets a run at wide left I think he has a chance of regaining his pre-Hutchison assault-form.

JimBHibees
13-11-2016, 06:26 PM
Really surprised he came on before Dylan to be honest.

Dashing Bob S
13-11-2016, 07:55 PM
if Harris's confidence is wrecked by anything he reads on this board, it's pretty much a given that he won't make it.

fishybeaver
13-11-2016, 08:02 PM
if Harris's confidence is wrecked by anything he reads on this board, it's pretty much a given that he won't make it.

Sure he is well educated enough to know that its only really NL opinion that really matters

BoomtownHibees
13-11-2016, 08:08 PM
Agree completely. It doesn't seem to matter who the manager is, we seem to have a pathology about playing players out of position.
If he gets a run at wide left I think he has a chance of regaining his pre-Hutchison assault-form.

He's right footed so to say the fault lies at him cutting in when being played out of position on the right makes no sense

Sergey
13-11-2016, 08:10 PM
He's right footed so to say the fault lies at him cutting in when being played out of position on the right makes no sense

Neither does your observation :confused:

BoomtownHibees
13-11-2016, 08:13 PM
Neither does your observation :confused:

What observation would that be?

Smartie
13-11-2016, 08:13 PM
The unwillingness/ inability of our wide players to beat a man on the outside is certainly a weakness of ours as a team and it afflicts both flanks.

Sergey
13-11-2016, 08:15 PM
What observation would that be?

Don't right footers play on the right?

BoomtownHibees
13-11-2016, 08:17 PM
Don't right footers play on the right?

Usually they do yes, that's my point

Dalkeith Boy
13-11-2016, 08:21 PM
I would say No

hibsbollah
13-11-2016, 08:27 PM

I would engage with you on where you've gone wrong here, but life is fleeting, transient and short so I can't quite frankly be arsed.

BoomtownHibees
13-11-2016, 08:31 PM
I would engage with you on where you've gone wrong here, but life is fleeting, transient and short so I can't quite frankly be arsed.

I don't think I have gone wrong anywhere to be fair. You agreed with a post and added that we should play him on the left. The post you agreed with said that playing him out of position (on the right) was causing him to cut in. As a right-footer playing on the right, he shouldn't be cutting inside, he should be taking the guy on down the outside and getting crosses in to the box with his stronger foot.

Surely him playing on the left is what would cause him to continually cut inside no??

snooky
13-11-2016, 08:34 PM
The unwillingness/ inability of our wide players to beat a man on the outside is certainly a weakness of ours as a team and it afflicts both flanks.

I was amazed at the number of times our players cut inside yesterday.
I can hardly remember us cutting the ball back from the byeline from a wide wing attack.

Two things have hardly changed in years.
1) Our slow, slow build up and lack of directness.
2) Players remaining static when we have a throw in.

Tyler Durden
13-11-2016, 08:41 PM
I don't think I have gone wrong anywhere to be fair. You agreed with a post and added that we should play him on the left. The post you agreed with said that playing him out of position (on the right) was causing him to cut in. As a right-footer playing on the right, he shouldn't be cutting inside, he should be taking the guy on down the outside and getting crosses in to the box with his stronger foot.

Surely him playing on the left is what would cause him to continually cut inside no??

Yes you're quite right here.

Harris has played on the right several times for Hibs and played well there. It's a bit silly to use that as a reason for poor performances.

Lennons failure to recruit a good winger or a left sided player with pace to challenge Lewis is the root of the problem.

IberianHibernian
13-11-2016, 08:42 PM
Certainly hope he makes it at Hibs since he`s one of only 2 or 3 players in our squad who seem capable of controlling the ball with one touch and his passing is good too . He wasn`t great yesterday but who was and thought it was more a case of bad passes from teammates and mistake by Holt in incidents mentioned . Should surely have taken some of the corners too instead of persisting with McGinn till the end . It`s a pity he wasn`t given a chance in previous 3 matches against weaker teams in the league as it would have helped his confidence as it did with Boyle . With question marks about attacking ability of Gray and Stevenson ( I reckon Harris is more effective on the left wing ) can`t see why we would let him go this winter .

Sergey
13-11-2016, 08:43 PM

:rotflmao:

Read your post #47 on this thread. No need to, here it is again:

Put the joint down and concentrate before you dig a bigger hole for yourself.

Billy Whizz
13-11-2016, 08:46 PM

Harris has played on the right several times for Hibs and played well there. It's a bit silly to use that as a reason for poor performances.

Lennons failure to recruit a good winger or a left sided player with pace to challenge Lewis is the root of the problem.
I thought Lennon would have taken Stevenson off, and play Harris on the left, as that he as the area we had most possession, and we did little with it. Think he's better on the left, and cutting in

BoomtownHibees
13-11-2016, 08:46 PM
:rotflmao:

Read your post #47 on this thread. No need to, here it is again:

Put the joint down and concentrate before you dig a bigger hole for yourself.

I have absolutely no idea what you are on about. Are you sure you can read?

fishybeaver
13-11-2016, 08:47 PM
Certainly hope he makes it at Hibs since he`s one of only 2 or 3 players in our squad who seem capable of controlling the ball with one touch and his passing is good too . He wasn`t great yesterday but who was and thought it was more a case of bad passes from teammates and mistake by Holt in incidents mentioned . Should surely have taken some of the corners too instead of persisting with McGinn till the end . It`s a pity he wasn`t given a chance in previous 3 matches against weaker 4teams in the league as it would have helped his confidence as it did with Boyle . With question marks about attacking ability of Gray and Stevenson ( I reckon Harris is more effective on the left wing ) can`t see why we would let him go this winter .
Agree

Scouse Hibee
13-11-2016, 08:58 PM
I have absolutely no idea what you are on about. Are you sure you can read?

I understand your post but only after reading it twice so I can see how it slightly confuses.

cmcd
13-11-2016, 09:02 PM
We're not exactly talking about some young boy who's played a handful of games and is being written off.

Harris is 22 now and has played nearly 100 career games, a decent chunk of which were in the top league. If he's not showing anything now then it's unlikely he's going to.
I find it strange when people say Cummings is young he will learn yet Harris who is much the same age won't. Lennon see both every day so let's see how both progress (hopefully )

BoomtownHibees
13-11-2016, 09:06 PM
I understand your post but only after reading it twice so I can see how it slightly confuses.

I get that. I wrote it and it confuses me when I read it back!!

My point was that, if he is being slated for cutting inside when playing on the right, then having him playing on the left won't rectify that with him being right footed. Does that make a bit more sense?

Scouse Hibee
13-11-2016, 09:09 PM
I get that. I wrote it and it confuses me when I read it back!!

My point was that, if he is being slated for cutting inside when playing on the right, then having him playing on the left won't rectify that with him being right footed. Does that make a bit more sense?

Yes makes perfect sense to me.

familyman
13-11-2016, 09:58 PM

Sadly even at his best it was brief, the talent is there but he has been unable to show the metal needed to go with it,I believe if he can do that we would have some player,without it though a luxury we cannot afford to carry...this season may be his last for us unless he can step up asap which I really hope he can do.

jacomo
14-11-2016, 09:43 AM
Nope. This is a thread about Alex Harris. The Hibs player and us being Hibs fans who watch him play are discussing our opinions on him.

The general jist is we want him to make it, however we fear he won't due to issues only he can resolve.

No mention of Cummings. Why mention him???

:agree:

I think Hibs is a tough place for young players, we give them a hard time.

But... this thread is a discussion about a player, and whether he has it or not. It's been refreshingly light on the 'never a player' comments, with folk giving specific and technical reasons why they have their doubts.

I'd love to see Harris make it at Hibs but he's not immune from discussion or criticism.

lyonhibs
14-11-2016, 09:49 AM

Indeed.

Harris has had several bites at the cherry and doesn't seem to have the minerals/self-confidence to make it at the top sadly as he was a real breath of fresh air when he first broke through.

For a fleet of foot winger, you can't have your confidence shattered the first time you take a kicking. Look at Watmore now, getting regular playing time in the EPL and England u-21s (granted Sunderland are ****ing ***** but still, they're a Premiership team) and he got lumps booted out of him by the Raith Rovers cloggers when up here.

The_Horde
14-11-2016, 10:24 AM
Certainly hope he makes it at Hibs since he`s one of only 2 or 3 players in our squad who seem capable of controlling the ball with one touch and his passing is good too . He wasn`t great yesterday but who was and thought it was more a case of bad passes from teammates and mistake by Holt in incidents mentioned . Should surely have taken some of the corners too instead of persisting with McGinn till the end . It`s a pity he wasn`t given a chance in previous 3 matches against weaker teams in the league as it would have helped his confidence as it did with Boyle . With question marks about attacking ability of Gray and Stevenson ( I reckon Harris is more effective on the left wing ) can`t see why we would let him go this winter .

No danger. Holt played him in perfectly twice but Harris didn't have the belief or confidence and didn't read the situation quickly enough. He has the ability but unfortunately the head is totally gone on the laddy.

jacomo
14-11-2016, 10:49 AM
Indeed.

Harris has had several bites at the cherry and doesn't seem to have the minerals/self-confidence to make it at the top sadly as he was a real breath of fresh air when he first broke through.

For a fleet of foot winger, you can't have your confidence shattered the first time you take a kicking. Look at Watmore now, getting regular playing time in the EPL and England u-21s (granted Sunderland are ****ing ***** but still, they're a Premiership team) and he got lumps booted out of him by the Raith Rovers cloggers when up here.

Yes, that's an interesting comparison with Watmore.

Big English clubs often moaning about lack of competitive opportunities for their young players. I've often thought that Scottish football should do more to offer these opportunities - if a talented kid can come through a season of playing the likes of Falkirk with distinction, it will certainly toughen them up.

JDHibs
14-11-2016, 10:58 AM
Really hoped the lad would do something. Really hoped on Saturday he would show something, but unfortunately he tried to go past Leahy and ended running into him and losing the ball.

Dont think it helps that as soon as he tries something and it doesnt come off, the fans are straight on his back. He done well at QoS last season where the pressure wasnt really on.

I dont think he will make it at Hibs, but i do think he will stay at this level or go to a smaller SPL club where expectations are lower, such as Partick, Hamilton or Dundee again.

Smartie
14-11-2016, 11:17 AM
Really hoped the lad would do something. Really hoped on Saturday he would show something, but unfortunately he tried to go past Leahy and ended running into him and losing the ball.

Dont think it helps that as soon as he tries something and it doesnt come off, the fans are straight on his back. He done well at QoS last season where the pressure wasnt really on.

I dont think he will make it at Hibs, but i do think he will stay at this level or go to a smaller SPL club where expectations are lower, such as Partick, Hamilton or Dundee again.

The problem is that it is the same thing that he keeps trying and not getting away with. The same goes for Stevenson.

NOTHING about Hibs frustrates me more than the opportunity opening up to take a player or around the outside but for the player in question not to even attempt it (apart from maybe the weekly Fontaine miss in the 6-yard box - that really gets on my tits).

What I'd like would be for Stevenson or Harris to attempt to beat their man around the outside, fail, get tackled and get a standing ovation for attempting it in the first place. Because we're becoming so predictable. Teams know we're not going to try to beat them round the outside and the whole opposition team structures itself accordingly.

Gray does it with reasonable regularity and I love him for it. Sometimes he gets tackled but sometimes he gets into decent positions and sometimes gets a decent ball in.

It is no coincidence that Falkirk consistently frustrate us and often look like beating us even though they have 10 men and very little possession.

These players need to get a grip.

hibsbollah
14-11-2016, 11:57 AM

It's only 'a bit silly' if you stubbornly stick to the belief that lefties should always play on the left and vice Versa. Harris is without doubt better on the left, cutting inside onto his right is his trademark and if you actually watch him play, how he does most damage. Look at Quaresma for Portugal, Ashley Young, Arjen Robben even Messi (if course more accomplished players than Boozy but the comparison is valid). it's quite common to have a cut inside winger in the modern game.

JDHibs
14-11-2016, 12:02 PM
Arjen Robbens purple patch for Bayern where he was considered among the best in the world was when he was played on the right, could only kick with his left and cut in all the time and smashed the ball home.

Happening alot more now as defenders struggle to know where you are going.

Green_one
14-11-2016, 12:17 PM
Sadly even at his best it was brief, the talent is there but he has been unable to show the metal needed to go with it,I believe if he can do that we would have some player,without it though a luxury we cannot afford to carry...this season may be his last for us unless he can step up asap which I really hope he can do.

he played in front of me on Saturday and he failed in several aspects. No anticipation, no fight, no speed, no tricks. Nothing he did suggested he will improve and he still looks very light weight. Why has he not bulked up a bit?

I was surprised he started again with us but I presumed Lennon had been working with him. Well he gave him a good chance on Saturday. That wing was exposed. Boyle did much more on the opposite side. Time to let him explore other options. Perhaps that will be the making of him. Lets hope so.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
14-11-2016, 12:18 PM
Nope. Far too lightweight and just not good enough for Hibs.

Tyler Durden
14-11-2016, 12:19 PM
It's only 'a bit silly' if you stubbornly stick to the belief that lefties should always play on the left and vice Versa. Harris is without doubt better on the left, cutting inside onto his right is his trademark and if you actually watch him play, how he does most damage. Look at Quaresma for Portugal, Ashley Young, Arjen Robben even Messi (if course more accomplished players than Boozy but the comparison is valid). it's quite common to have a cut inside winger in the modern game.

On the first page, think "HappyasHellas" posted that playing Harris on the right was a waste as he would continually cut inside. This does not make sense. Alex Harris is right footed and as has been pointed out, he should have no problem in taking on the full back and beating him on the outside. Might not happen every time but he is capable of doing so. Alex Harris has played on the right wing before for Hibs. In his first season there were post split games - sub appearance in a 3-1 win at Killie and the derby at Tynecastle - where he was deployed on the right and he was very effective, beating his man inside and out.

The modern popularity of wingers playing on a certain wing and cutting inside on their stronger foot has little relevance to whether Alex Harris should be expected to beat Luke Leahy and play well for 20 minutes for Hibs.

So yes, I think it is a bit silly to suggest that he played poorly because he was deployed on the right wing.

14-11-2016, 12:20 PM
He's in the mould of a lot of modern "wingers" these days ...... never takes a man on, one on one, and rarely if ever actually drops the shoulder and skins someone. This is his game allegedly so if he can't do this, then can't see how he has a long term future at the club. Which is a shame.

hibsbollah
14-11-2016, 01:24 PM
On the first page, think "HappyasHellas" posted that playing Harris on the right was a waste as he would continually cut inside. This does not make sense. Alex Harris is right footed and as has been pointed out, he should have no problem in taking on the full back and beating him on the outside. Might not happen every time but he is capable of doing so. Alex Harris has played on the right wing before for Hibs. In his first season there were post split games - sub appearance in a 3-1 win at Killie and the derby at Tynecastle - where he was deployed on the right and he was very effective, beating his man inside and out.

The modern popularity of wingers playing on a certain wing and cutting inside on their stronger foot has little relevance to whether Alex Harris should be expected to beat Luke Leahy and play well for 20 minutes for Hibs.

So yes, I think it is a bit silly to suggest that he played poorly because he was deployed on the right wing.

Harris plays better as a left winger. I think he'd be better as a left winger, on that basis. I'm not sure what you're problem is with that basic position:dunno:

J-C
14-11-2016, 03:18 PM
Harris plays better as a left winger. I think he'd be better as a left winger, on that basis. I'm not sure what you're problem is with that basic position:dunno:

Therein lies the problem, we need wide attacking players and if Harris is played left and constantly cutting in, he's not exactly a wide player is he? He's right footed and plays as a wide attacking player, he should be equally adept at playing wide right taking his man on and left cutting in, unfortunately watching him on saturday he's incapable of taking on his man down the right. Leahy dealt with him oh so easily and he absolutely bottled a 50/50 ball against Hippolyte, the laddie just doesn't have what it takes.

snooky
14-11-2016, 03:42 PM
Therein lies the problem, we need wide attacking players and if Harris is played left and constantly cutting in, he's not exactly a wide player is he? He's right footed and plays as a wide attacking player, he should be equally adept at playing wide right taking his man on and left cutting in, unfortunately watching him on saturday he's incapable of taking on his man down the right. Leahy dealt with him oh so easily and he absolutely bottled a 50/50 ball against Hippolyte, the laddie just doesn't have what it takes.

Alas, this is what he's missing.
Essential requirement at this level (and all the way down for that matter).

djs69
14-11-2016, 03:43 PM
Yet to see him offer anything of substance since the semi final

Smartie
14-11-2016, 03:50 PM
Yet to see him offer anything of substance since the semi final

He was MOTM in his last start.

Harris frustrates me more than any other Hibs player has over the past 5 years. He's clearly got something but I don't know what it is and he doesn't show it nearly often enough for us.

You get impact players who do well when thrown on as sub for the last 10 mins in games, yet they fail to make an impact from the start of games. I suspect Harris is the opposite - when the crowd are already frustrated and he's chucked on to turn a frustrating afternoon into a productive one, he just doesn't have what it takes.

I think he's better starting games, getting a chance to feel his way in. He was MOTM playing in a terrible team performance a few weeks ago. Maybe he has to be starting games to make an impact? I don't think he's ever going to come away from a game like Saturday having made a positive contribution and he's only ever going to get abuse for it, which is a shame.

He's running out of chances, that's for sure.

Andy74
14-11-2016, 04:37 PM
He was MOTM in his last start.

Harris frustrates me more than any other Hibs player has over the past 5 years. He's clearly got something but I don't know what it is and he doesn't show it nearly often enough for us.

You get impact players who do well when thrown on as sub for the last 10 mins in games, yet they fail to make an impact from the start of games. I suspect Harris is the opposite - when the crowd are already frustrated and he's chucked on to turn a frustrating afternoon into a productive one, he just doesn't have what it takes.

I think he's better starting games, getting a chance to feel his way in. He was MOTM playing in a terrible team performance a few weeks ago. Maybe he has to be starting games to make an impact? I don't think he's ever going to come away from a game like Saturday having made a positive contribution and he's only ever going to get abuse for it, which is a shame.

He's running out of chances, that's for sure.

He might have got Man of the Match but he was still pretty poor.

He's just not good enough. Him and Forster are backward steps for the squad this year.

hibsbollah
14-11-2016, 04:38 PM

What we need is midfielders who can contribute to getting forward and scoring and creating, whether cutting in from wide positions or not doesn't matter, it would be a bonus. It's good McGinn has developed confidence shooting from distance but the rest of the midfield aren't that type. Boozy has shown this ability in the past...I'm still hopeful he can recreate it. As already mentioned he scored and was MOTM in his last start on 5th October...a bit silly to write off his career just yet.

JohnMcM
14-11-2016, 04:50 PM
Needs to hit the gym- too easily muscled off the ball. If he toughens up and regains some confidence maybe but at the moment doesn't offer anything. Even his teammates didn't seem to want to pass to him

If remember correctly, we had two other players in the past who started out just like him. Peter Cormack and Peter Marinello.

I would stick with him, at least for a run of a few games and see if he is up to it.

My my gut feeling is, he has it in him to be a great.

calumhibee1
14-11-2016, 04:55 PM
If remember correctly, we had two other players in the past who started out just like him. Peter Cormack and Peter Marinello.

I would stick with him, at least for a run of a few games and see if he is up to it.

I know we're all allowed our own opinions but that is absolutely baffling to me.

JohnMcM
14-11-2016, 05:06 PM
I know we're all allowed our own opinions but that is absolutely baffling to me.

Oh! Ok, I'll try to re-phrase that then.

Alex Harris has pretty much the same build, skill and speed of Marinello and Cormack.

Both Peters were fairly easily knocked off the ball in their first few appearances.

Both Peters were closed down quickly by the opposition who grew up playing against them and knew what they were capable of.

Both Peters developed more slowly physically than the same opposition and had more than their fair share of injuries which knocked them back a bit.

Both Peters came strong in the end by using their guile, speed and football brain to win games, create chances for others and win over the fans.

All I am saying is I see the same thing in Alex Harris.

eastterrace
14-11-2016, 05:58 PM
Oh! Ok, I'll try to re-phrase that then.

Alex Harris has pretty much the same build, skill and speed of Marinello and Cormack.

Both Peters were fairly easily knocked off the ball in their first few appearances.

Both Peters were closed down quickly by the opposition who grew up playing against them and knew what they were capable of.

Both Peters developed more slowly physically than the same opposition and had more than their fair share of injuries which knocked them back a bit.

Both Peters came strong in the end by using their guile, speed and football brain to win games, create chances for others and win over the fans.

All I am saying is I see the same thing in Alex Harris.

Eh both peters devolved slowly that a new one on me , I mind them playing up to speed right away, sure cormack played against Real Madrid also marinello was turning defenders inside out that why he got the move to arsenal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
14-11-2016, 06:06 PM

When we desperately need to get promoted it's not really the time to put players in to 'see if they're up to it'.

We need players who will do a job and he's not shown anything to suggest he might, since 2013.

fishybeaver
14-11-2016, 06:09 PM
80odd comments on 20mins of football when the whole team should have performed way better. Outstanding!!

Tyler Durden
14-11-2016, 06:40 PM

No problem with that, I agree with you. That wasn't the point made previously :wink:

I do think he should be able to make an impact from the right wing too though. Just don't see him reproducing his early form now unfortunately, as much as we'd like to see it.

Lancs Harp
14-11-2016, 07:25 PM
Is Eardley still at the club?

The Sundance Kid
14-11-2016, 07:37 PM
Is Eardley still at the club?

Yeah, only contracted until January however. Not even made the bench for a few weeks now

Andy74
14-11-2016, 07:40 PM
80odd comments on 20mins of football when the whole team should have performed way better. Outstanding!!

The comments are on 3 years or so not 20 minutes.

eastmainsmsh
15-11-2016, 07:48 AM
Regular games is required does not help with injurys and upheaval managerial changes he has the ability hope he can do it with us

we are hibs
15-11-2016, 08:25 AM
I don't understand why Stanton, Harris and handling are still at the club. At the end of the day, they're all taking up a wage for doing nothing that could be used elsewhere.It's like we are persisting with them because they came through the academy and we don't want to admit that they're another in a long line of failed youth players to come through the academy. Which I'd find strange considering dempster came in and said the academy wasn't up to scratch as soon as she walked through the door.

ancient hibee
15-11-2016, 11:49 AM
They're still at the club because they're under contract and in Handling's had bad injuries also.

15-11-2016, 11:51 AM
Hate to say it but for me he's just not cutting it im afraid. It's been a long time since i've seen anything particularly impressive from him. His horrifc injury perhaps to blame for knocking his confidence maybe? I don't know. But at the end of the day many players have suffered horrifc injuries and long spells out in their careers but they have come back from it.

He's not a dreadful player but he's not good enough for even this level unfortunately.

staunchhibby
15-11-2016, 11:57 AM
The club will not pay off the remainder of there contracts which they gave them.

KeithTheHibby
15-11-2016, 12:22 PM
They're still at the club because they're under contract and in Handling's had bad injuries also.

Stanton has hardly kicked a ball for Hibs last 2 seasons as he has been out on loan.

Danny Handling has been injured the best part of 2 years so no-one will touch him.

I don't think anyone wanted Harris in the summer so he's still here. I would bet he is not a bad wage either given the fact that he signed it when playing well and in the premier league.

MyJo
15-11-2016, 08:20 PM
Harris looked good when he first broke through but he hasn't developed which is a shame.

Isn't good enough for us in this league so little chance of him cutting it when we get back up to the prem.

I reckon he is only getting a game due to being the only player other than Boyle with half a yard of pace while Keatings is out.

If we can sign a good winger in january i can see Harris being allowed to leave.

GreenNWhiteArmy
15-11-2016, 10:02 PM
If I'm honest it was a sub that baffled me at the time. We only really needed to lose a defender so go 4 at the back and bring Dylan and Jase on. Dylan would control the tempo and we could have gone 433.

In regards to Harris, I'm not convinced he'll make it at hibs. He's involved day to day in training and must have known what would be expected if he comes on as a right wing back/winger. To get the ball and beat your man. He continually cut inside and the only time he did attempt to go round his man he got bullied.

You counter that though,was bringing him on against a team that for the 3rd year running have took the tactic of intimidation and bullying against us the right idea? As I said earlier, Dylan and Jase should have been on from about 55/60 mins in. SJM was running the show and Dylan would have freed him up to do so more effectively

Enough said
16-11-2016, 11:39 AM

Think you will find its over 2 to 3 years.

Thecat23
16-11-2016, 11:47 AM

If only it was just 20 mins. Harris hasn't delivered when given the chance for god knows how many games. He will be no loss to Hibs!

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
16-11-2016, 11:49 AM
Dont think he will make it at Hibs. I dont think he is particularly good at any one thing, he has no obviously outstanding assets.

16-11-2016, 12:06 PM
Must admit i am a little disappointed. When he made his debut against Falkirk in the 4-3 semi final a few years back I thought we had found ourselves a wee star.