PDA

View Full Version : Today's game - Remembrance silence & Piper?

green with envy
12-11-2016, 10:45 PM
Did anyone record it by any chance, would be good to see it again?

lugz
12-11-2016, 10:53 PM
No but I thought it was superb and a very fitting tribute.

The Harp
12-11-2016, 11:14 PM
Great bit of piping by the lassie. Sounded note-perfect.

snooky
12-11-2016, 11:24 PM
Great bit of piping by the lassie. Sounded note-perfect.

Agreed. I said to my mate that the piper played the tune with great feeling.
If your on here, well done, lass.

joebakerforever
13-11-2016, 12:20 AM
To my uneducated ears that sounded note perfect.

Also thought it was good that she turned and faced all four sides of the ground during her rendition of Flowers of the Forest.

Very impressive ceremony honoring the sacrifices of the military from WW1 to date.

hibee_nation
13-11-2016, 12:49 AM
Its on facebook hibernian fans page. The lassie doing the piping was top class.

ACLeith
13-11-2016, 06:33 AM
For me the most haunting pipe tune whatever the occasion. As an irrelevant aside, think the piper was also on the DVD?

Keith_M
13-11-2016, 07:03 AM
To my uneducated ears that sounded note perfect.

Also thought it was good that she turned and faced all four sides of the ground during her rendition of Flowers of the Forest.

Very impressive ceremony honoring the sacrifices of the military from WW1 to date.

That has to be the most moving song I've ever heard on the pipes. It always brings a tear to my eye.

J-C
13-11-2016, 07:09 AM
Loved it and was real Hibs class, she was marching on the spot and turning whilst piping, great tribute.

Scouse Hibee
13-11-2016, 07:19 AM
The last time I heard that tune being played was at a friend's funeral, the piper walked into the distance as he played,very moving indeed.

hibeejoy
13-11-2016, 07:47 AM
So emotional.Loved it.

green with envy
13-11-2016, 08:49 AM
Its on facebook hibernian fans page. The lassie doing the piping was top class.

Thanks for the reply but can't find it.

What's the actual name of the page? Can't find it under "hibernian fans page".

Cheers.

Peevemor
13-11-2016, 09:51 AM
The tune "Flowers of the Forest" is at least 400 years old and became popular after being played at Queen Victoria's funeral. The majority of pipers won't play it on the pipes apart from at funerals or memorial services.

The piper yesterday was Louise (Lou) Marshall who was also at the City Chambers and on the open top bus the day after the cup win. She's a true professional and makes her living doing piping jobs and giving lessons.

Golden Bear
13-11-2016, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the reply but can't find it.

What's the actual name of the page? Can't find it under "hibernian fans page".

Cheers.

Might be Hibs Paige

NthCarolinaHibs
13-11-2016, 10:34 AM
Hibernian FC Fans News,is what yer looking for..

ihibs7
13-11-2016, 01:48 PM
She also piped on the pitch after the 2007 CIS cup win.

The tune "Flowers of the Forest" is at least 400 years old and became popular after being played at Queen Victoria's funeral. The majority of pipers won't play it on the pipes apart from at funerals or memorial services.

The piper yesterday was Louise (Lou) Marshall who was also at the City Chambers and on the open top bus the day after the cup win. She's a true professional and makes her living doing piping jobs and giving lessons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjward2
13-11-2016, 02:38 PM
Her kilt was the Hibs tartan, and her pipe drones were connected with a wee Hibernian banner too.
:flag:

Onceinawhile
13-11-2016, 03:03 PM
Must admit I was really surprised to see 6 or so folk filming it.

Didn't really think it appropriate to be honest.

Big_D
13-11-2016, 04:02 PM
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k556/DarrenHealy/P1000219.jpg (http://s1115.photobucket.com/user/DarrenHealy/media/P1000219.jpg.html)

Scouse Hibee
13-11-2016, 05:58 PM

Why is it not appropriate?

Bishop Hibee
13-11-2016, 06:16 PM
Lou is a good Hibby and extremely honoured and proud to pipe yesterday.

Thecat23
13-11-2016, 06:41 PM

Why not?

ACLeith
13-11-2016, 07:12 PM

It was played at the play off game in May 2015 on the centenary of the Gretna rail disaster. Having rushed from the official ceremony at Rosebank cemetery to the game that day it was particularly poignant for me and yesterday brought those memories back.

My father told me that as a young boy he stood and watched the cortège procession in 1915, heard the tune being played and because if that it had a profound effect on him every time he heard it played for the rest of his life.

The tune has a special place in the history of Leith

Pretty Boy
13-11-2016, 07:21 PM
Why is it not appropriate?

I saw a few folk filming on their phones and didn't think it was appropriate either.

There's a whole thread about poppies, rememberance, respect and so on. I can't equate respect with stading filming on your phone throughout what was supposed to be a couple of minutes quiet refelction in lieu of a minutes silence.

Scouse Hibee
13-11-2016, 07:36 PM
I saw a few folk filming on their phones and didn't think it was appropriate either.

There's a whole thread about poppies, rememberance, respect and so on. I can't equate respect with stading filming on your phone throughout what was supposed to be a couple of minutes quiet refelction in lieu of a minutes silence.

Opinions,I see nothing wrong in standing in silence and filming an event that was quite special and would be appreciated by those not there in person, but each to their own I guess.

Roxyhibee
13-11-2016, 07:45 PM
It really was class and she was brilliant - so yes, a huge thank you to her and Hibs.

As I always do on these occasions, I thought of my uncle Patrick Kane from Granton, who I never met, but who was shot down as a very young man over Germany in WWII.

Ardenttwo
13-11-2016, 07:46 PM
Did anyone record it by any chance, would be good to see it again?

I was going to record it but thought that would not be appropriate during a very emotional ceremony Well done to the young lassie

Golden Bear
13-11-2016, 08:28 PM
Opinions,I see nothing wrong in standing in silence and filming an event that was quite special and would be appreciated by those not there in person, but each to their own I guess.

I can see both points of view. This morning I viewed the Nation's Service of Remembrance from the Cenotaph in Whitehall and I would have been unable to do if it had not been broadcast on TV.