PDA

View Full Version : Are Ref's Cheating?

Thecat23
12-11-2016, 06:23 PM
I was convinced Scottish refs were just poor but I honestly think they are doing all they can to keep us down. Every week is the same now it's way beyond a joke. That was a shocking performance today from Beaton I wouldn't let him ref an under 10's game never mind our games.

Beating the Huns really has upset a lot of people in the game it seems and not just the media.

WhileTheChief..
12-11-2016, 06:25 PM
No.

HibbyAndy
12-11-2016, 06:25 PM
I'm absolutely staggered that cheating hacking **** Baird never got booked throughout the game, Totally gobsmacked

Thecat23
12-11-2016, 06:26 PM
No.

Care to add more? What makes you so sure?

Thecat23
12-11-2016, 06:26 PM
I'm absolutely staggered that cheating hacking **** Baird never got booked throughout the game, Totally gobsmacked

Him along with a few others.

Hermit Crab
12-11-2016, 06:27 PM
I was convinced Scottish refs were just poor but I honestly think they are doing all they can to keep us down. Every week is the same now it's way beyond a joke. That was a shocking performance today from Beaton I wouldn't let him ref an under 10's game never mind our games.

Beating the Huns really has upset a lot of people in the game it seems and not just the media.

No, behave. Enough of the paranoia. You just don't get away with tackles and barges that you used to.

Scouse Hibee
12-11-2016, 06:27 PM
No just incredibly incompetent.

Del Boy
12-11-2016, 06:28 PM
No. refs and assistants in Scotland are just hopeless.

cleanyman
12-11-2016, 06:28 PM
I don't blame the ref today for the result. Hibs should be doing a heck of a lot more in front of goal. Its shocking at times.

What Beaton did do however was lose a grip on the game right from the start. He let high tackles and overly physical play go and an early sending off was inevitable.

matty_f
12-11-2016, 06:31 PM
I think we're on the end of enough bad refereeing performances to feel entitled to ask the question.

Beaton was incredibly bad today, if he's consciously ignoring the rules then when does that stop being incompetent and start becoming cheating?

Why no booking for their celebration? Whichever interpretation on the rules for bookings at celebrating a goal you have, that was a yellow. That's just one of the many bookable incidents he ignored today.

J-C
12-11-2016, 06:36 PM
One of the most inept refereeing performances I've seen and I've seen quite a few.

PISTOL1875
12-11-2016, 06:38 PM
We can moan about refs all we want but we got away with McGregor hitting Hippolyte with a trailing arm in the first half , that was a red on its on. If firstly Shinnie hadn't given the ball away and secondly we defended the corner properly then we possibly would've won the match today.

tamig
12-11-2016, 06:40 PM

Aye right enough. Do you think Taiwo would've got a straight red otherwise? Paranoia to match anything Celtic fans would come out with.

Wee Effen Bee
12-11-2016, 06:42 PM
No, behave. Enough of the paranoia. You just don't get away with tackles and barges that you used to.

Surely that must mean the same for both teams on the pitch Hermit? Two footed tackle by Baird waved away; Baird grabbing Hanlon by the neck ignored; Holt? pulled down in the box and ignored and their number 4 fouling right in front of assist. ref is ignored.
Im with you in stamping down any conspiracy theories though. I just think the standard of reffing has been absolutely appalling in this division and we do seem to have had more than our fair share of dodgy decisions of late.

oldbutdim
12-11-2016, 06:43 PM

Funnily enough yon Baird did.

I assume you weren't there today, as you seem to be arguing a different point. Beaton was happy to let bookable offences - the tackles and barges you refer to - go quite unpunished.

I'm not sure why Darren was booked though, I don't think the referee even gave a foul?
Obviously he didn't get away with something, although I'm not sure what.

ForeverHibs93
12-11-2016, 06:43 PM
Aye right enough. Do you think Taiwo would've got a straight red otherwise? Paranoia to match anything Celtic fans would come out with.
While I don't think they are, it's becoming a valid question with the fact Rodgers wasn't booked today, I found that genuinely incredible.

Hibeewilly
12-11-2016, 06:45 PM
What about the time wasting by the Falkirk players and the kicking the ball away at free kicks - I would love to see how long the ball was actually in play today. If he had clamped down on it early and booked a few of them it would have cut it out. Shocking performance by Beaton and it does make you wonder as the OP questioned:confused:

Thecat23
12-11-2016, 06:46 PM

I was in the very same camp as all you were until today. Sorry but you can't tell me he never cheated today?

WhileTheChief..
12-11-2016, 06:46 PM
Care to add more? What makes you so sure?

There was a similar discussion a few weeks ago....

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?315700-The-ref-Alan-Muir/page5

Don't want to bore everyone with my thoughts again but you'll get my drift from that link.

Thecat23
12-11-2016, 06:48 PM

See this is what I used to think, but FFS enough is enough. It's every week now and when watching other Scottish games the refs are never this bad.

Hermit I'm not one thinking the world is against us but questions surely must be getting asked.

Hermit Crab
12-11-2016, 06:48 PM
Funnily enough yon Baird did.

I assume you weren't there today, as you seem to be arguing a different point. Beaton was happy to let bookable offences - the tackles and barges you refer to - go quite unpunished.

I'm not sure why Darren was booked though, I don't think the referee even gave a foul?
Obviously he didn't get away with something, although I'm not sure what.

I was there. I don't go to football to watch refs dish out yellows for tackles that are hard but fair, I'm not even convinced Taiwos was a red if I'm honest. Looked a 50/50 from where I was.

stoneyburn hibs
12-11-2016, 06:49 PM
I've always thought not, now I'm beginning to wonder. We've only played just over a quarter of the season and the decisions we've had against us is a staggering amount so far. Not just decisions against us but lack of decisions against opposition teams.

Biggie
12-11-2016, 06:49 PM
What about the time wasting by the Falkirk players and the kicking the ball away at free kicks - I would love to see how long the ball was actually in play today. If he had clamped down on it early and booked a few of them it would have cut it out. Shocking performance by Beaton and it does make you wonder as the OP questioned:confused:

Exactly !......they (yet again) ripped the pish out of the officials and hibs with the time wasting. The keeper should have been booked well before the ref had a word with him. Then he proceeded to continue as before !....wtf
Hate Falkirk with a passion.....tinpot clubs for sure

Hermit Crab
12-11-2016, 06:51 PM
I was in the very same camp as all you were until today. Sorry but you can't tell me he never cheated today?

Cmon, if we'd taken our chances we would have won that match 4 or 5-1. Fact is we didn't.

WhileTheChief..
12-11-2016, 06:53 PM
In the recent Aberdeen Hamilton game the ref supposedly had a howler, same earlier today with Dundee Utd V Dunfermline.

Are the refs cheating these teams too?

We only really focus on our own teams and don't pay attention to others. Go on any fans forum site after a defeat and you will see similar threads. Not to much from the winning teams fans.

snedzuk
12-11-2016, 06:56 PM
We can moan about refs all we want but we got away with McGregor hitting Hippolyte with a trailing arm in the first half , that was a red on its on. If firstly Shinnie hadn't given the ball away and secondly we defended the corner properly then we possibly would've won the match today.

Fyvie had an off the ball kick at baird just before half time unseen by beaton - kick was not hard enough.

tamig
12-11-2016, 06:59 PM

I honestly just think it's sheer incompetence. Beaton was poor today but I do not think it's an SFA conspiracy. We don't have a great bunch of refs at the moment unfortunately. Simple as that in my opinion.

GreenLake
12-11-2016, 07:02 PM

He deserved that smack in the pus for his earlier atrocity although perhaps marginally less than Miller and Baird. They should have 4 or 5 players in suspension every game with the number of fouls and physical assaults.

emerald green
12-11-2016, 07:04 PM
I think there has to come a point where you have to look at some diabolical referee "performances" and wonder if there's maybe more to it than sheer incompetence. In other words, where incompetence simply can't be used as an excuse. Where, for example, a referee can be seen to be turning a blind eye to things for no apparent or logical reason.

If most people in attendance can clearly see that the referee is simply not doing his job by applying the rules fairly, consistently, impartially and correctly, then surely it's reasonable to ask why that's the case?

PISTOL1875
12-11-2016, 07:05 PM
He deserved that smack in the pus for his earlier atrocity although perhaps marginally less than Miller and Baird. They should have 4 or 5 players in suspension every game with the number of fouls and physical assaults.

That's beside the point. It's not the officials fault that we cannot score enough goals to win a game.

lord bunberry
12-11-2016, 07:07 PM
I left the game today raging at our pish poor performance. I thought the ref wasn't great, but I don't think he made a difference to the result.

matty_f
12-11-2016, 07:07 PM
That's beside the point. It's not the officials fault that we cannot score enough goals to win a game.

I don't think anyone has blamed the ref. There are threads discussing our flaws already, we can also criticise a ref who was ****ing awful.

PISTOL1875
12-11-2016, 07:10 PM
I don't think anyone has blamed the ref. There are threads discussing our flaws already, we can also criticise a ref who was ****ing awful.

The ref was awful I fundamentally agree here but it's not his fault that our players were giving the ball away for most of the game or we allowed John Baird to peel off his marker and hook the ball home.

O'Rourke3
12-11-2016, 07:13 PM
The ref was awful I fundamentally agree here but it's not his fault that our players were giving the ball away for most of the game or we allowed John Baird to peel off his marker and hook the ball home.

Baird should have been sent off before half time.

brog
12-11-2016, 07:16 PM
See this is what I used to think, but FFS enough is enough. It's every week now and when watching other Scottish games the refs are never this bad.

Hermit I'm not one thinking the world is against us but questions surely must be getting asked.

I'm afraid they are that bad Cat. Last weekend one team was awarded a goal for a ball which didn't cross the line, another team wasn't awarded a goal when it did cross the line. In another game both managers agreed the other team should have had a penalty. It happens every week, the problem is there's no accountability. Alan Muir was the official on the line when Celtc didn't get the blatant pen in the semi vs ICT. There was no punishment for Muir & he survived to miss a Falkirk player walk out the box with the ball under his arm! And can posters please stop going on about the refs in this division. It's nothing to do with that, Beaton is supposedly one of our top refs & he'll be reffing in the top league more often than not.

BlackSheep
12-11-2016, 07:18 PM
I was there. I don't go to football to watch refs dish out yellows for tackles that are hard but fair, I'm not even convinced Taiwos was a red if I'm honest. Looked a 50/50 from where I was.

Of course it was a 50/50... but a 2 footed challenge is a 2 footed challenge, he was not in control of his body and had he caught our player badly then it could have been a damaging challenge!

McGregor's challenge was hard but fair, so yes I agree none of us go to see the yellow being dished out for contact sport that is fair.... but the red was a red plain and simple.

I don't think the refs are cheating... it would be just disgusting were it true, but I really don't think they are poor on purpose.... they are just awful at their job.... the assistants too, this season I have consistently seen the assistants waiting to be told which way the throw ins are going by the ref... even when they are standing right next to the action... poor offside decisions are happening all the time too..: not only for hibs but against hibs too.

The standards are just terrible and unfortunately as hibs tend to be on the receiving end of overly physical behaviour from highly defensive setups I just seem to feel like there is a conspiracy against us.

Thecat23
12-11-2016, 07:28 PM
Cmon, if we'd taken our chances we would have won that match 4 or 5-1. Fact is we didn't.

Yeah totally, but I'm not blaming the result on him. I'm asking why blatant yellows weren't dished out? It's the rules of the game if someone runs to the crowd or kicks the ball away or even some of the tackles going in.

Thecat23
12-11-2016, 07:29 PM
I left the game today raging at our pish poor performance. I thought the ref wasn't great, but I don't think he made a difference to the result.

I think you along with others may have missed my point. I'm not blaming him for us not winning I'm asking is he cheating by not folllowing the rules of the game. It's every week even when we win.

Thecat23
12-11-2016, 07:32 PM
There was a similar discussion a few weeks ago....

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?315700-The-ref-Alan-Muir/page5

Don't want to bore everyone with my thoughts again but you'll get my drift from that link.

I just feel something isn't right here and with the amount of corruption in football why should we think Scotland is different? Happens in England with back handers etc.. Maybe we are naive and happy to turn a blind eye.

Or maybe it is just me!! 😁

Thecat23
12-11-2016, 07:34 PM
I'm afraid they are that bad Cat. Last weekend one team was awarded a goal for a ball which didn't cross the line, another team wasn't awarded a goal when it did cross the line. In another game both managers agreed the other team should have had a penalty. It happens every week, the problem is there's no accountability. Alan Muir was the official on the line when Celtc didn't get the blatant pen in the semi vs ICT. There was no punishment for Muir & he survived to miss a Falkirk player walk out the box with the ball under his arm! And can posters please stop going on about the refs in this division. It's nothing to do with that, Beaton is supposedly one of our top refs & he'll be reffing in the top league more often than not.

Fully agree that if they are going unpunished then how will poor refs learn?

BlackSheep
12-11-2016, 07:36 PM
All of you that are of the mind that we only have ourselves to blame are very naive... the rules of the game are there to give advantage to teams that play fairly and punish those who do not.

When one team plays unfairly or unsportsmanlike consistently throughout the game and are not punished then the other side cannot shoulder the entirety of the blame.... free kicks give teams an advantage, yellow cards give teams an advantage as the offending player has to be careful and this can cause mistakes, penalties give an advantage.... Hibs lacked any advantage today and yes while we could do better... some advantage applied could have turned that game.

The ref is to blame for the lack of advantage.

Instead as usual we face teams who park the bus... We played some fantastic football at times today that when we got close to the box found ourselves running out of space... not once would I accuse Hibs of trying to walk the ball into the net but we are not always going to score wonder goals from outside the box.

matty_f
12-11-2016, 07:37 PM
Yeah totally, but I'm not blaming the result on him. I'm asking why blatant yellows weren't dished out? It's the rules of the game if someone runs to the crowd or kicks the ball away or even some of the tackles going in.

Correct. Cummings got sent off in the derby at Easter Road, one yellow for a celebration calmer than Falkirk's, and one booking for kicking the ball away.

How many yellows did Oxley get for time wasting?

One rule for Hibs...

Thecat23
12-11-2016, 07:40 PM
Correct. Cummings got sent off in the derby at Easter Road, one yellow for a celebration calmer than Falkirk's, and one booking for kicking the ball away.

One rule for Hibs...

Yep, Oxley was done many times, how their keeper wasn't booked is exactly why I thought it's blatant cheating. Maybe it is just me but it's funny how it's happening every w'end win, lose or draw Matty.

snooky
12-11-2016, 07:40 PM
Just because people are paranoid doesn't mean that what they're paranoid about isn't true. :wink:

Thecat23
12-11-2016, 07:41 PM
All of you that are of the mind that we only have ourselves to blame are very naive... the rules of the game are there to give advantage to teams that play fairly and punish those who do not.

When one team plays unfairly or unsportsmanlike consistently throughout the game and are not punished then the other side cannot shoulder the entirety of the blame.... free kicks give teams an advantage, yellow cards give teams an advantage as the offending player has to be careful and this can cause mistakes, penalties give an advantage.... Hibs lacked any advantage today and yes while we could do better... some advantage applied could have turned that game.

The ref is to blame for the lack of advantage.

Instead as usual we face teams who park the bus... We played some fantastic football at times today that when we got close to the box found ourselves running out of space... not once would I accuse Hibs of trying to walk the ball into the net but we are not always going to score wonder goals from outside the box.

100% this. 👍🏼

emerald green
12-11-2016, 07:45 PM

That's right. Referees turning a blind eye to breaches of the rules, and consciously deciding to not apply those rules fairly and properly, cannot simply be swept under the carpet, again and again, as incompetence. If it is, they shouldn't be refereeing at this level.

To me, there has to be another reason other than the usual excuse of "incompetence".

matty_f
12-11-2016, 07:47 PM
Yep, Oxley was done many times, how their keeper wasn't booked is exactly why I thought it's blatant cheating. Maybe it is just me but it's funny how it's happening every w'end win, lose or draw Matty.

I was discussing this with my mate last week. It's all the time with us. Imagine if Celtc or The Rangers were on the end of the decisions we get against us all the time?!

If it wasn't biased, where are the big decisions that go in our favour? Last one I can remember is Hanlon getting awarded a goal against Dunfermline when the ball didn't cross there line. We were two or three up at the time in the final couple of minutes.

Where are the other big calls that have evened up the massive calls against us?

If it's just incompetence then we'd have a few to thank the ref for, no?

Bishop Hibee
12-11-2016, 08:01 PM
Not cheating but woefully inconsistent. What will be a foul one week will be play on the next. Linesmen are even worse.

Beaton was bullied by the Falkirk players today. Persistently standing in front of the ball at Hibs free kicks yet no bookings. Goalie wastes time, ref wastes more time telling him to stop time wasting. Baird grabs Hanlon's neck right on front of the linesman, nothing given. Unreal but good refereeing performances are the exception in this league.

Booked4Being-Ugly
12-11-2016, 08:03 PM
Falkirk just wanted to kill the beautiful game of football by any means and the ref helped facilitate that, which was utterly bizzarre.

Hi Heid Yin
12-11-2016, 08:07 PM
Referees play their part in denying us points through sheer incompetence mostly, and maybe, just maybe, occasional cheating, but we ourselves are even more guilty of denying ourselves points through habitual failure to convert chances created into goals. Today, again, we dominated the opposition and won countless corners - but we had only one solitary goal to show for our efforts.

northstandhibby
12-11-2016, 08:09 PM
Bring back the foreign referees that are without the Hugh Dallas type sectarian baggage.

In saying that we should still have beaten 10 men Falkirk.

:sairhead:

AlbertK86
12-11-2016, 08:12 PM
Falkirk dirtier than Hertz and Beaton was the worst performance I've seen in a long long time .... and we've seen some brutal ones

Joe6-2
12-11-2016, 08:17 PM

I've always been convinced they cheat! They are definitely incompetent, but it's more than that!
From years ago when the bigot brothers used to get really dodgy decisions when things weren't going their way, to now when week after week we suffer at their hands!

chasitup
12-11-2016, 09:02 PM
I don't think they're cheating, I think they're grossly incompetent. Linesmen or assistant referees are worse, waiting to see which way the ref points before making a decision. None of them have the backbone to keep control of games either, pathetic. Whoever it is at the SFA that runs officiating needs to sort it out too, but they won't as they're deliriously happy with the quality of referees in this country.

JimBHibees
12-11-2016, 09:08 PM
I think we're on the end of enough bad refereeing performances to feel entitled to ask the question.

Beaton was incredibly bad today, if he's consciously ignoring the rules then when does that stop being incompetent and start becoming cheating?

Why no booking for their celebration? Whichever interpretation on the rules for bookings at celebrating a goal you have, that was a yellow. That's just one of the many bookable incidents he ignored today.

Agree totally. The bottom line is that is their anyway in the world that he would have dared to give the same performance at either Ibrox or Parkhead. The simple answer is not a chance and if not why not. We are getting shafted by refs IMO.

JimBHibees
12-11-2016, 09:10 PM

One rule for Hibs...

Ironically exactly the same ref.

silverhibee
12-11-2016, 09:16 PM

In what way do you mean cheating, brown envelopes, match fixing, or just cheating against Hibs, can't see it, they really are just poor, simple as that, we have moaned about going down to 10 men and got the through games, today the other team went down to 10 men and we couldn't get the right result, that isn't the refs fault, refs aren't just poor at ER, they are poor at all games in Scotland, not as if they are blocking shots or stuff like that. :greengrin we just need to take our chances and win games and we won't be speaking about the referees.

silverhibee
12-11-2016, 09:22 PM

Time wasting is one of these things that happens in football, if I was a Falkirk player after going down to 10 men then I would waste time, every club does it, Oxley had previous for it while at Hibs.

matty_f
12-11-2016, 09:22 PM

Which makes it all the more questionable, imho.

Jones28
12-11-2016, 09:29 PM
No, they just have no balls. By the laws of the game Baird would have been off and Hippo-lyte would've been booked.

High-On-Hibs
12-11-2016, 09:35 PM
If it was merely incompetence, we would witness just as many shockers going against the opposition. That almost never seems to be the case. Their "incompetence" is to our disadvantage 90% of the time.

silverhibee
12-11-2016, 09:36 PM

The ref is fair game if he has been f***ing awful, do you think he cheated today and there is a conspiracy by all refs against Hibs ? If so he has a funny way of showing it by red carding an opposing player to give us a advantage, did the ref aid there goal.

We really can't think the world is against us because we beat the new club in the final, and the refs are going to make us pay for that day in May.

JimBHibees
Which makes it all the more questionable, imho.

Yep. Couldn't believe Baird not getting one, Miller on a booking blocking Hibs playing a free kick which should have been second yellow, Hippolyte standing 3 yards away from free kick and not moving. All stick on yellows. Not incompetent but bent.

Slim Shady

I've read a lot of your posts over the years and not really many I've disagreed with, are you drunk tonight or is this a serious question.

We failed to score against 10 men, pishy Falkirk side who have taken several doings this season. Comes down to teams raising their games against the big guns. That's who we are this season, players raising their game hoping to catch the eye that they can play at a better side.

Referees are scrutinised to the nth degree by media, social media and SFA. No real hiding place if the were cheating.

As fans of our club, its us that's been cheated for years. Slowly getting back onto a sure footing.

High-On-Hibs
12-11-2016, 09:39 PM
The ref is fair game if he has been f***ing awful, do you think he cheated today and there is a conspiracy by all refs against Hibs ? If so he has a funny way of showing it by red carding an opposing player to give us a advantage, did the ref aid there goal.

We really can't think the world is against us because we beat the new club in the final, and the refs are going to make us pay for that day in May.

There are challenges where referees can choose whether to send a player off or not. Then there are challenges where the referee doesn't really have any choice in the matter, as much as it may pain them to do it.

Monktonhall 7
12-11-2016, 09:43 PM
In my opinion the SFA, and the Referees that they indoctrinate are the reason why Scottish Football is a joke. We pay a lot of money hoping to see decent flowing foootball, but the people who run the game seem to be quite happy to allow teams/players to kick lumps out of anyone who displays any bit of skilll.

Thecat23
12-11-2016, 09:48 PM
I've read a lot of your posts over the years and not really many I've disagreed with, are you drunk tonight or is this a serious question.

We failed to score against 10 men, pishy Falkirk side who have taken several doings this season. Comes down to teams raising their games against the big guns. That's who we are this season, players raising their game hoping to catch the eye that they can play at a better side.

Referees are scrutinised to the nth degree by media, social media and SFA. No real hiding place if the were cheating.

As fans of our club, its us that's been cheated for years. Slowly getting back onto a sure footing.

I wish I was drunk!

No it's a serious question. Again this isn't because we didn't win because we have won many games yet the ref has again been shocking. It's not following the rules of the game that is worrying me. Looking back to previous games where one in particular stands out. Didn't we have 3 fouls all committed I think by Lewis while the other team had something like 13 and Lewis was booked then sent off.

It's crazy how refs seem card happy against us but not so much for who we play no matter what they are doing!

silverhibee
12-11-2016, 09:49 PM

Sorry to say TC but there is no conspiracy against us by refs, believe me they are just poor officials simple as that, I remember a certain Rangers player :wink::greengrin who when scored liked nothing more than go support with his fans and very seldom get booked for it, a wee example would be, the ref sent of a Falkirk player today, plenty folk saying, " he will even that up shortly by red carding a Hibs player" it never happened and he could have if he wanted to, they aren't against Hibs, we simply didn't score enough goals today, we have previous for this, to many chances but not enough taken.

Enjoy the hangover..:greengrin

SRHibs
12-11-2016, 09:50 PM
No, paranoia without looking at the bigger picture. Every club thinks it's them vs the world.

Thecat23
12-11-2016, 09:51 PM
In what way do you mean cheating, brown envelopes, match fixing, or just cheating against Hibs, can't see it, they really are just poor, simple as that, we have moaned about going down to 10 men and got the through games, today the other team went down to 10 men and we couldn't get the right result, that isn't the refs fault, refs aren't just poor at ER, they are poor at all games in Scotland, not as if they are blocking shots or stuff like that. :greengrin we just need to take our chances and win games and we won't be speaking about the referees.

Just that they are doing there best to make it very hard for us. Honestly Silver since we beat the Huns it's got worse, I'm totally convinced something isn't right when refs get our games. Can't be every single ref is bad!!

Thecat23
12-11-2016, 09:52 PM
Sorry to say TC but there is no conspiracy against us by refs, believe me they are just poor officials simple as that, I remember a certain Rangers player :wink::greengrin who when scored liked nothing more than go support with his fans and very seldom get booked for it, a wee example would be, the ref sent of a Falkirk player today, plenty folk saying, " he will even that up shortly by red carding a Hibs player" it never happened and he could have if he wanted to, they aren't against Hibs, we simply didn't score enough goals today, we have previous for this, to many chances but not enough taken.

Enjoy the hangover..:greengrin

As I say maybe is just me mate, what's worse is I've not had one drink today!! 😫

WhileTheChief..
12-11-2016, 10:15 PM
You need to stop and think about it a bit more, you really haven't thought it through at all.

If you merely scratch the surface it's bleeding obvious that they are not cheats.

Email Leanne Dempster and ask her about it. 100% guaranteed she will say that refs in this country act with integrity.

This thread is a nightmare. Every time we have a bad result some folk turn to the comfort blanket of accusations of cheating and corruption.

If what you say is true then they could easily make us lose every single match. According to some they are under no scrutiny, face no consequences and are part of a wider conspiracy. Fine. Whats stopping them?

Why did we get a corner in the 92nd minute at Hampden - they could have given a goal kick.

Why did they allow David Grey's goal - they could have disallowed for shoving in the box or anything else.

Why didn't they send Stokes off for... being Stokes

They can do whatever they want right?

snooky
12-11-2016, 10:19 PM
As I say maybe is just me mate, what's worse is I've not had one drink today!! 😫

It's not just you, TC.

Thecat23
12-11-2016, 10:21 PM
You need to stop and think about it a bit more, you really haven't thought it through at all.

If you merely scratch the surface it's bleeding obvious that they are not cheats.

Email Leanne Dempster and ask her about it. 100% guaranteed she will say that refs in this country act with integrity.

This thread is a nightmare. Every time we have a bad result some folk turn to the comfort blanket of accusations of cheating and corruption.

If what you say is true then they could easily make us lose every single match. According to some they are under no scrutiny, face no consequences and are part of a wider conspiracy. Fine. Whats stopping them?

Why did we get a corner in the 92nd minute at Hampden - they could have given a goal kick.

Why did they allow David Grey's goal - they could have disallowed for shoving in the box or anything else.

Not sure how many times I have to say this.. I'm not blaming him for the result. Read my posts again if you have trouble understanding this. I'm saying today along with almost every game this season the refs seem to ignore the simple things like booking a player for leaving the pitch or kicking the ball away or time wasting. Yet when it's us we are punished.

Maybe I'm wrong but maybe you are naive? Oh and do you honestly think LD could or would say a ref is cheating whether she thinks he is or not she couldn't say.

SRHibs
12-11-2016, 10:26 PM

:agree:

WhileTheChief..
12-11-2016, 10:26 PM
I've read what you posted and can't get my head around the fact you actually believe this stuff.

I get it if at the match you shout out cheat at a dodgy decision or on the match day thread in the heat of the moment. But when you step back and start to question it it just doesn't hold up.

The simple question would be why Hibs?? There are how many top level refs in Scotland 10 - 20 i'd imagine. They all somehow have it in for us?? Why oh why would that be the case? Please don't say it's cause we won the cup!

Anyways, as always, I've said too much on the subject. I just don't see why any of you bother watching football if you think the game is bent.

northstandhibby
12-11-2016, 10:27 PM

That's not really true is it.

Most people are basing it on what their eyes are telling their brain.

They're seeing rank rotten inconsistent incompetent or bent refereeing decisions regularly.

Most people can take defeat when they have been beaten by the better team or held to a draw by a team that digs in but not when the refereeing is consistently so very poor. It's bound to get people irate.

Thecat23
12-11-2016, 10:29 PM
I've read what you posted and can't get my head around the fact you actually believe this stuff.

I get it if at the match you shout out cheat at a dodgy decision or on the match day thread in the heat of the moment. But when you step back and start to question it it just doesn't hold up.

The simple question would be why Hibs?? There are how many top level refs in Scotland 10 - 20 i'd imagine. They all somehow have it in for us?? Why oh why would that be the case? Please don't say it's cause we won the cup!

Anyways, as always, I've said too much on the subject. I just don't see why any of you bother watching football if you think the game is bent.

Funny who would have thought top officials are bent when the top of our game have just been done for being bent. If you honestly think officials up and down the country are 100% honest then you bash on.

fulshie
12-11-2016, 10:35 PM
Refs can get it wrong, we all know that but, its was our poor performance in front of goal that has denied us all three points. Pretty much that simple to be honest. All you have to do is look at the stats, it says it all.

WhileTheChief..
12-11-2016, 10:36 PM
Bash on? What you on about?

I'm happy watching my team and Scottish football in general and yeah, call me naive or anything else you like but I think the game up here is straight.

Thecat23
12-11-2016, 10:37 PM
Refs can get it wrong, we all know that but, its was our poor performance in front of goal that has denied us all three points. Pretty much that simple to be honest. All you have to do is look at the stats, it says it all.

Again I can't see anyone blaming him for the result. It's about why he isn't doing his job right. Hibs could win 10-0 but if he had the same performance as he did today I'd have still started the thread.

Thecat23
12-11-2016, 10:37 PM
Bash on? What you on about?

I'm happy watching my team and Scottish football in general and yeah, call me naive or anything else you like but I think the game up here is straight.

That's fair enough, I don't! We will agree to disagree!

SRHibs
12-11-2016, 10:38 PM
I just don't understand how anyone can really believe this. So, what's the explanation for every other team then? Because you can rest assured, almost every SPL/Championship club has this absurd idea that the referees are out to get them.

Is it a case of they're wrong and we're right? Hibs are the true victims? I highly doubt it.

son of haggart
12-11-2016, 10:44 PM
I just don't understand how anyone can really believe this. So, what's the explanation for every other team then? Because you can rest assured, almost every SPL/Championship club has this absurd idea that the referees are out to get them.

Is it a case of they're wrong and we're right? Hibs are the true victims? I highly doubt it.

You're correct

On kickback there are threads about referees and Beaton is top of the list for incompetence - even beating Willie Collum, which is pretty remarkable given how bad we have fared at Collum's hands

silverhibee
12-11-2016, 10:45 PM
Just that they are doing there best to make it very hard for us. Honestly Silver since we beat the Huns it's got worse, I'm totally convinced something isn't right when refs get our games. Can't be every single ref is bad!!

If there was something in it then Taiwo would only have seen yellow for today's tackle, if he was cheating (the ref) he would never have gave a red and put us at a advantage early in the game by putting the opposition team down to 10 men, or is this a sick perverse cheating :greengrin, and yet we couldn't take advantage of that and take the lead, instead the 10 men get the 1st goal, see these refs, sick sick f****** that they are.

Refs were just as bad before we beat them in May, and there is no conspiracy against Hibs by referees, that's just silly talk, in fact I will now add to the conspiracy and say ref decisions have got worse since Lennon joined the club. :wink: :thumbsup:

silverhibee
12-11-2016, 10:48 PM

Maybe you should have a bevy. :greengrin

3pm
12-11-2016, 10:51 PM

And a smoke. And a pancake.

Thecat23
12-11-2016, 11:04 PM

Haha I'll have one now.

silverhibee
12-11-2016, 11:08 PM
Again I can't see anyone blaming him for the result. It's about why he isn't doing his job right. Hibs could win 10-0 but if he had the same performance as he did today I'd have still started the thread.

I'm worried for you. :greengrin

Deansy
12-11-2016, 11:15 PM
The fault with our referees is a 50-50 split - 50% are bent and the other 50% are just totally incompetent.

silverhibee
13-11-2016, 12:21 AM
And a smoke. And a pancake.

Fully loaded.

SdGP style :smokin

silverhibee
13-11-2016, 12:22 AM
Haha I'll have one now.

:thumbsup:

snooky
13-11-2016, 12:44 AM
I'd love to be a fly on the wall at a referee's social meeting just to hear what they say about the Hibernian games they referee.
I'm prety sure they have a good laugh ... and at our expense.

GreenLake
13-11-2016, 01:18 AM

If teams commit multiple times our fouls then it blunts our ability to score goals with passing moves. The chances get limited to corners and freekicks as set pieces where they stand 12 inches from the ball until their defence is crammed into the box. Houston strategy 101. It isnt hard to see how they exploit the lenient environment provided by our referees.

Steve20
13-11-2016, 04:55 AM
Yes, they are cheating. It's clear as day. However, we don't help ourselves being so poor.

lucky
13-11-2016, 06:10 AM
The refs are not cheating they are just as ***** as the rest of Scottish football

Brizo
13-11-2016, 06:58 AM
The standard of refs across all the Scottish leagues is gash.... and has been for years. There is no real accountability and its only if a refs mistake is so contentious that it makes the back pages is anything looked at by their masters. I don't think there is a conspiracy I just think that in the absence of genuine accountability they have a combination of complacency and arrogance where they know that unless they really **** up their jobs are safe.

Waxy
13-11-2016, 07:21 AM
Refs should be marked on performances by some kind of "referee performance panel" with the poorest refs demoted and replaced by the best wanabees.right now it looks like theyve been reared by the zombies.

J-C
13-11-2016, 07:26 AM
Yesterday was a good example of a referee either cheating or just being plain crap, for me he was a cheat.

Hanlon being bear hugged at corners and he did nothing, plain as day.
Shinnie being pushed for a penalty before Boyles offside goal, the ref was about 5 yards away.
Taiwo's sending off there was a bunch of players all running in pushing and shoving, out of at least 12 players involved, why was Holt and Muirhead booked? Why those 2?
Baird gave away at least 5 free kicks yesterday and escaped with out a booking, how? Particularly the one where he took Shinnie's legs clean away from him, a booking all day long.
McGregor being booked for trying to win the ball when a Falkirk players was lying on it.
The last one was when Hippolyte stood about 4 yards in front of the ball at a free kick and when the players complained he did nothing, telling them to get on with it, he just ran away and blew his whistle, he couldn't care less.

WhileTheChief..
13-11-2016, 08:04 AM
You could watch any game of football and come up with a list of 'dodgy' decisions against either team.

The difference is that you wouldn't have any emotional attachment to the game.

If you're watching Dundee v Partick would you really care if a player was booked or not? Would you remember an offside goal that shouldn't have been given? Probably not would be my guess as you wouldn't care as much.

The issue of referring standards doesn't just apply to Hibs.

To to those that say it's the standard of refs in Scotland that is the problem, how do you think fans in other countries feel? Guaranteed that refs in Portugal or Holland get the same accusations thrown at them.

You only need to watch MOTD. Every week there is focus on referring decisions.

Keith_M
13-11-2016, 08:07 AM
Surely the question should be;

Are the Hibs players that miss chance after chance to put us out of sight of the opposition trying to keep us down?

Canon Hannan
13-11-2016, 08:07 AM

And Celtic were correct - Hugh Dallas.

blackpoolhibs
13-11-2016, 08:27 AM
Kicking the ball away and not booking that player is at worst cheating, and at best incompetence.

Whatever way you think, the ref yesterday cheated Hibs by not applying the rules properly.

wookie70
13-11-2016, 08:28 AM
It is hard not to think refs are cheating after a performance like today but I think it is more the opposition teams are set up to use the poor referees as much to their advantage as they can. They know they can slow the game down so they do it. They know they can commit multiple fouls to break up play so they do it and they know that diving outside the box and rolling about like you have been shot earns your team free kicks and the opposition bookings so they do that too. Houston sets his team up to do all the things most supporters hate because it gives his team a huge advantage.

Hibs have never been like that so we get very little advantage from referees. Cummings gets crucified by our fans for a few dives while Baird belly flops more in a game than JC does in a season. Most Hibs fans I know are purists so perhaps that's why we get so annoyed when team play the way Falkirk played today. Unfortunately, that's the way that Scottish football is refereed and it won't change soon. We either have to work out how we combat that, join in or accept it.

Marco G
13-11-2016, 09:24 AM
Kicking the ball away and not booking that player is at worst cheating, and at best incompetence.

Whatever way you think, the ref yesterday cheated Hibs by not applying the rules properly.
Correct. He spoke to their goalie about time wasting then turned his back to him on all the next goal kicks!
He ignored them kicking the ball away at free kicks about half a dozen times before he did book one of them.
He ignored their goal celebrations.
He gave a free kick for Hippolyte pulling our player back by the neck but no yellow. So Hippolyte would have been off when he got the yellow later.
And I have not seen the disallowed offside goal again but he did not bother to find out why the assistant ref had flagged.
He gave multiple fouls against them but very few yellows! And Taiwo had to go.
So just another very poor ref peformance to me.

Hamish
13-11-2016, 09:34 AM
Houston in his Falkirk TV interview has said he wants to appeal the sending off and SJM goes in with 2 feet.

brog
13-11-2016, 09:35 AM

Who if you remember had already sent off a Yam player for a very soft offence. Beaton, & most other Scottish refs is weak. He allowed Yam players to bully him into sending JC off in the cup game & he apparently allowed Falkirk to bully him yesterday. Our officials are weak & incompetent & terrified of making a decision, the LG free kick "goal" is a perfect example. I would like to see us manage the refs better, to put us on more of a level playing field, but I'd rather we endured a few dodgy decisions than send out teams to destroy & cheat in the manner of Harry Potter.

easty
13-11-2016, 09:35 AM
The refs are just *****. It's just an easy way to make a living for them, doesn't even matter how badly they perform as they never have to answer for their performance.

I don't think we're remotely important enough to refs in Scotland, generally, for them to be deliberately cheating us.

Bayern Bru
13-11-2016, 09:45 AM
Off the top of my head from yesterday...

- Booked Hippolyte for kicking the ball away but failed to book him for any of his dodgy challenges before then
- Didn't book Miller for kicking the ball away
- Let Miller manhandle our defenders at corners at both ends
- Somehow didn't book Baird at all despite at least two bookable offences before the goal and celebration - which also could have been a booking
- Lost control of the game during the Taiwo incident
- Failed to send off one of their players for shoving Gray in aftermath of McGregor incident - or has that rule changed now?
- Failed to book Rogers for persistent time-wasting
- Failed to warn a couple of Falkirk players (can't remember who) for studs-up challenges
- Failed to book Baird for leaving the pitch to celebrate

Incidentally, it was Beaton who reffed the 1-0 cup replay win over Hearts - where he booked Cummings for his goal celebration and gave him a second booking for kicking the ball away. What's changed since February? Why were they bookings then but not now?

I thought Beaton had a woeful game. There were, in my opinion, clear cut decisions that went against both teams. Hibs were lucky to get away with some things and Falkirk were extremely lucky.

I don't think refs are cheating. I think a lot of them are ******* useless but I do wonder if Lennon's presence has anything to do with it. He's got form for being, shall we say, quite outspoken about referees. I just wonder whether that influences some whistlers a wee bit.

As an aside, referees really need to clamp down on time-wasting. It was embarrassing when Oxley did it and it's frustrating watching Rogers fanny about at every goal kick.

I also see Beaton has refereed 17 Hibs games in 5 years including yesterday’s game.

In that time he has booked 36 players and sent off 2.

He also denied us that penalty at Falkirk when Houston ended up publicly apologising to McGinn and has previous for letting teams off with time-wasting.

matty_f
13-11-2016, 09:54 AM
Can anyone provide a list of big decisions that have gone in our favour where the referee has got it blatantly wrong?

There are lots of examples of us being on the wrong end of them from the last few weeks we've had a ridiculous penalty given against us at Dunfermline and and even clearer one not given for us in the same game. Two red card given against us that were both successfully appealed... And that's before we consider the decisions or non-decisions that clown made yesterday.

If it's just incompetence we'd be able to rattle a good few off as well.

northstandhibby
13-11-2016, 09:58 AM
It is hard not to think refs are cheating after a performance like today but I think it is more the opposition teams are set up to use the poor referees as much to their advantage as they can. They know they can slow the game down so they do it. They know they can commit multiple fouls to break up play so they do it and they know that diving outside the box and rolling about like you have been shot earns your team free kicks and the opposition bookings so they do that too. Houston sets his team up to do all the things most supporters hate because it gives his team a huge advantage.

Hibs have never been like that so we get very little advantage from referees. Cummings gets crucified by our fans for a few dives while Baird belly flops more in a game than JC does in a season. Most Hibs fans I know are purists so perhaps that's why we get so annoyed when team play the way Falkirk played today. Unfortunately, that's the way that Scottish football is refereed and it won't change soon. We either have to work out how we combat that, join in or accept it.

You make some very good points.

I don't think there is such a thing as a 'poor' referee.

I will use driving a car as an analogy.

All drivers have to sit a similar test. We all have to drive in a certain manner to gain the driving license. Only once you have satisfied a trained driving examiner that you display all the correct skills, learned the road rules and have driven to their exacting procedures will you gain a license.

I'm sure you know where this is going.

An SFA referee has to undergo a similar set of procedures of learning the rules and showing they have understood what it takes to manage a game according to the rules and are able to let a game commence with a similar attitude as per the SFA referee development courses. Only then will they be able to apply to be employed to ref a match according to the SFA rulebook and how they wish games to be managed.

They have all had the same training and have learned the same rulebook.

Granted they will have some traits of letting a a game flow according to advantage rules etcetera which gives them some scope for being slightly different.

However there should never be such a level of inconsistency or controversial decisions that appear to make no sense at all as they have all been trained to the exact same standard of the rule book and SFA demands of managing games.

Going back to the driving analogy is sure some drivers after passing their tests become lazy and forget a lot a lot of how they are expected to drive. However there are speed limit cameras, traffic police and road humps etcetera to keep them from straying too far from the expected level of driving with adequate care and attention.

Where is the same type of supervision for the trained SFA referees who all reappear week after week making the same very poor bog standard refereeing decision making?

It doesn't appear to be there.

Yet the SFA itself admits to having a procedure of keeping tabs on which are the best referees. It rewards their 'top' referees with cup finals or putting them forward to UEFA.

They seem to have a system for rewarding their referees who can manage a game properly yet does not appear to have a system in place for ditching the ones who are clearly not fit for purpose.

Is that deliberate from the SFA to maintain a system of having both good and bad referees? They obviously know the good from the bad according to who they give the big games to.

It's a fair question.

Baldy Foghorn
13-11-2016, 09:59 AM
Yes, they are cheating. It's clear as day. However, we don't help ourselves being so poor.

Are you actually a Hibs supporter?

Bayern Bru
13-11-2016, 10:12 AM
Can anyone provide a list of big decisions that have gone in our favour where the referee has got it blatantly wrong?

There are lots of examples of us being on the wrong end of them from the last few weeks we've had a ridiculous penalty given against us at Dunfermline and and even clearer one not given for us in the same game. Two red card given against us that were both successfully appealed... And that's before we consider the decisions or non-decisions that clown made yesterday.

For starters...

Cummings goal against Brondby at ER
Dunfermline penalty
Marv sending off #1
Marv sending off #2
Griffiths free kick goal
Forster goal ruled out for offside at Tynecastle
McGinn penalty incident at Falkirk
Cummings goal at Tynie in the cup ruled out for offside
Not awarding penalty for handball in first play-off match against Falkirk
Alloa goal at Recreation Park last season that looks like it didn't cross the line
McGinn red card against Falkirk
Boyle penalty claim against Dunfermline
Holt penalty claim against Ayr
Oxley booking in the Inverness replay?
Not booking / sending off Baird yesterday

calumhibee1
13-11-2016, 10:13 AM
Why do folk take the default position that we should have won that game no matter what etc every time this kind of thing is brought up? Should we have won yesterday? Absolutely. Does that have any relevance to the questions being asked about the ref? None at all. Refs are blatantly seeing things happening against us and not applying the rules. That is cheating, whether we deserved to win the game or not.

Thecat23
13-11-2016, 10:19 AM
Why do folk take the default position that we should have won that game no matter what etc every time this kind of thing is brought up? Should we have won yesterday? Absolutely. Does that have any relevance to the questions being asked about the ref? None at all. Refs are blatantly seeing things happening against us and not applying the rules. That is cheating, whether we deserved to win the game or not.

Exactly, folk seem to think we are blaming the ref for not winning! I'm not I'm asking why was his performance so horrific that is left me thinking he was at it.

emerald green
13-11-2016, 10:22 AM
Off the top of my head from yesterday...

- Booked Hippolyte for kicking the ball away but failed to book him for any of his dodgy challenges before then
- Didn't book Miller for kicking the ball away
- Let Miller manhandle our defenders at corners at both ends
- Somehow didn't book Baird at all despite at least two bookable offences before the goal and celebration - which also could have been a booking
- Lost control of the game during the Taiwo incident
- Failed to send off one of their players for shoving Gray in aftermath of McGregor incident - or has that rule changed now?
- Failed to book Rogers for persistent time-wasting
- Failed to warn a couple of Falkirk players (can't remember who) for studs-up challenges
- Failed to book Baird for leaving the pitch to celebrate

Incidentally, it was Beaton who reffed the 1-0 cup replay win over Hearts - where he booked Cummings for his goal celebration and gave him a second booking for kicking the ball away. What's changed since February? Why were they bookings then but not now?

I thought Beaton had a woeful game. There were, in my opinion, clear cut decisions that went against both teams. Hibs were lucky to get away with some things and Falkirk were extremely lucky.

I don't think refs are cheating. I think a lot of them are ******* useless but I do wonder if Lennon's presence has anything to do with it. He's got form for being, shall we say, quite outspoken about referees. I just wonder whether that influences some whistlers a wee bit.

As an aside, referees really need to clamp down on time-wasting. It was embarrassing when Oxley did it and it's frustrating watching Rogers fanny about at every goal kick.

I also see Beaton has refereed 17 Hibs games in 5 years including yesterday’s game.

In that time he has booked 36 players and sent off 2.

He also denied us that penalty at Falkirk when Houston ended up publicly apologising to McGinn and has previous for letting teams off with time-wasting.

Surely all of this smacks of much more than just simple incompetence?

You may have a point as regards Neil Lennon. Referees are human, and they all talk to each other from time to time do they not. It isn't beyond the realms of reason, surely, to conclude that some referees might develop a dislike, or maybe a grudge, against certain individuals or clubs for some earlier slight or criticisms? This is then at the back (or forefront) of their minds when they officiate that clubs matches.

I'm saying this because I'm just struggling to understand why Beaton took no action against either Baird in particular (who of course scores their goal) or the Falkirk goalkeeper. As others have pointed out, Beaton constantly turned his back on their goalkeeper and appeared to deliberately ignore his blatant time wasting. Why? He knew the keeper was doing it. He could hear the Hibs fans yelling at him about it, so why choose to ignore it? How can that be considered fair and impartial, and not allowing an unfair advantage to one team? That's why people cry cheat.

Before anyone says why therefore did he red card Taiwo, I would say this. There are some decisions a referee simply cannot dodge or turn a blind eye to. It would be far too obvious to do so.

beensaidbefore
13-11-2016, 10:23 AM
Sounds to me like there are a few folk on here more than capable of reffing at the highest level. Perhaps you guys should put your money where your mouth is?

beensaidbefore
13-11-2016, 10:25 AM
Edither that or a bunch of whingers.

Baldy Foghorn
13-11-2016, 10:26 AM
Sounds to me like there are a few folk on here more than capable of reffing at the highest level. Perhaps you guys should put your money where your mouth is?

You don't agree the level of refereeing is inept?

High-On-Hibs
13-11-2016, 10:26 AM
For starters...

Dunfermline penalty
Marv sending off #1
Marv sending off #2
Griffiths free kick goal
Alloa goal at Recreation Park last season that looks like it didn't cross the line

That's just the one's we remember off the top of our heads. Inbetween all of those decisions, there have been hundreds of miniature decisions which have had an impact on the overall flow of the games. It seems that whenever we just about look like we're getting a foot hold in a game, the most dubious of decisions start going against us. It's like we're not allowed to apply too much pressure on the opposition, even if it's fair game.

I watch other teams play (mainly SPFL) and they seem to get away with things during the game that Hibs would never get away with. Take the nutters on the other end of town as a prime example. They have a reputation of being "a big physical team", but that's because they are allowed to be. They're allowed to make challenges and apply pressure on defences that we would almost certainly be penalised for.

Remember, it's not always the big decisions. It's the series of small decisions given throughout the game that ultimately dictate the flow.

WhileTheChief..
13-11-2016, 10:29 AM

The problem here is if we benefit from a dodgy decision we kinda go 'them's the breaks' with a wee smile knowing we got away with it. It's not discussed to death anywhere, we just move on.

It's what being a football fan is all about. It's emotional and irrational at times.

If Hearts were on the end of a blatantly obvious howler we'd simply laugh at it. We certainly wouldn't be saying that the refs are biased against Hearts!!

Next week, if a Hibs player runs to the fans to celebrate or kicks the ball away and doesn't get booked how many will be on here saying he should have been?

snooky
13-11-2016, 10:29 AM

If it's just incompetence we'd be able to rattle a good few off as well .

You're right, Mattie. This is a key point when the "incompetence v cheating" argument gets raised.
What has been our share of the dodgy decisions? It's certainly nowhere near "evening out" at 50/50

matty_f
13-11-2016, 10:32 AM
For starters...

Dunfermline penalty
Marv sending off #1
Marv sending off #2
Griffiths free kick goal

This is my point. If it's incompetence and incompetence alone, we'd have as many in our favour. We simply don't. That is why we have a right you ask the question over their integrity.

We all make mistakes, and I understand refs will make mistakes too - I have no issue with that. Not booking their keeper for time wasting want a mistake. Not booking the boy for celebrating as he did wasn't a mistake, not booking the player that hauled Shinnie back, or the one that chopped him down, or had Hanlon round the neck to pull him back - those weren't mistakes. The ref didn't save them from a booking by accident. Those were conscious decisions where he has decided not to apply the rules of the game for reasons only he knows.

The offside goal wasn't clear cut, if the ref gets that wrong I can accept that - that would be a mistake. The other ones were blatant, none of them right decisions or ones that needed a particularly in depth understanding of the laws of the game.

Those weren't accidental mistakes, and if they're not accidental then surely we have to ask what they were?

matty_f
13-11-2016, 10:34 AM

Do you have to be able to ref at the highest level to know that timewasting is a yellow card offences? Or pulling someone back? Or celebrating off the pitch.

High-On-Hibs
13-11-2016, 10:36 AM
The problem here is if we benefit from a dodgy decision we kinda go 'them's the breaks' with a wee smile knowing we got away with it. It's not discussed to death anywhere, we just move on.

It's what being a football fan is all about. It's emotional and irrational at times.

If Hearts were on the end of a blatantly obvious howler we'd simply laugh at it. We certainly wouldn't be saying that the refs are biased against Hearts!!

Next week, if a Hibs player runs to the fans to celebrate or kicks the ball away and doesn't get booked how many will be on here saying he should have been?

I don't think we get dodgy decisions. I think very occasionally referees make real genuine mistakes. So we very occasionally get one in our favour. It's the volume of "mistakes" that go against us that make them more than just honest errors of judgement. I can accept that very occasionally, a decision will go against us as a poor error of judgement, to a very similar degree as to those that go in our favour. However, if all of the bad desicions that have gone against us were truly all honest mistakes, then you would think these things would balance themselves out over a period of several years, let alone decades, but that doesn't appear to be the case at all.

matty_f
13-11-2016, 10:37 AM

I don't give a toss about Hearts. I watch enough of Hibs to know we don't get our share of decisions, though.

Where are these decisions that we laugh off? They're certainly not significant ones.

easty
Do you have to be able to ref at the highest level to know that timewasting is a yellow card offences? Or pulling someone back? Or celebrating off the pitch.

Of course not, and it's a nonsense argument. Akin to saying you can't criticise the Scotland defence just because you can't play better yourself.

WhileTheChief..
England's goal ( Lampard from 30 yards or so) against Germany in the World Cup that was clearly over the line. Are the refs biased against England too?

It happens the world over.

High-On-Hibs
13-11-2016, 10:40 AM
England's goal ( Lampard from 30 yards or so) against Germany in the World Cup that was clearly over the line. Are the refs biased against England too?

Against the more prominent national sides, I think they are.

Thecat23
13-11-2016, 10:42 AM

Eh?

So because some on here are questioning ref's we should all become one!

familyman
13-11-2016, 10:44 AM
I think there has to come a point where you have to look at some diabolical referee "performances" and wonder if there's maybe more to it than sheer incompetence. In other words, where incompetence simply can't be used as an excuse. Where, for example, a referee can be seen to be turning a blind eye to things for no apparent or logical reason.

If most people in attendance can clearly see that the referee is simply not doing his job by applying the rules fairly, consistently, impartially and correctly, then surely it's reasonable to ask why that's the case?
Yesterday watched ref being about 3 feet from an obvious holding of a Hibs player and again when falkirk player kicked ball away from goalkeeper and did nothing ..shocking standard of refereeing ,they need to be accountable ...it will not do whatever the league!!! Also if ref had acted early on then that sending off would not have happened..if you gat way with it you will continue to foul...
Hibs struggled regardless though...sad to say still lacking certain flare.
:flag:

easty
13-11-2016, 10:45 AM

Cummings goal ruled offside against Brondby tae, obviously this anti-Hibs agenda has been emailed to UEFA refs as well.

emerald green
13-11-2016, 10:46 AM

Folk are simply giving their opinions on an official who IS "reffing at the highest level" and failing miserably yesterday IMHO. Do you think Beaton had a good game yesterday, and that referees in general should be above criticism?

I don't think anyone has posted on here that they think they are capable of refereeing at the highest level, have they? I know referees have a difficult job. Especially with all the cheating, diving, time wasting and play acting that goes on. Team managers/coaches are not immune from criticism here either for setting out their teams to "play" like that. Peter Houston.

However, ignoring breaches of the rules for no apparent reason, and failing to take any action leaves officials open to criticism, and accusations of cheating.

Baldy Foghorn
13-11-2016, 10:46 AM

Not as much as it happens to us

WhileTheChief..
13-11-2016, 10:48 AM
Fair do's. Appears I'm fighting a losing argument on this one again!

To me though, if you truly believe this then absolutely nothing else in the game matters. Players, manager, formation, tactics etc. We discuss them all on here when in fact it's all irrelevant if the refs are cheats.

There seems to be enough of you thinking this way though so why not raise it with the club, perhaps through the fans reps or Working Together? I'm not trying to be smart but this would seem a better approach than simply having this debate on here every few weeks.

On a positive note, I just got my pic taken with Scottish Cup down at ER. Awesome :thumbsup:

matty_f
13-11-2016, 10:54 AM

To me though, if you truly believe this then absolutely nothing else in the game matters. Players, manager, formation, tactics etc. We discuss them all on here when in fact it's all irrelevant if the refs are cheats.

There seems to be enough of you thinking this way though so why not raise it with the club, perhaps through the fans reps or Working Together? I'm not trying to be smart but this would seem a better approach than simply having this debate on here every few weeks.

On a positive note, I just got my pic taken with Scottish Cup down at ER. Awesome :thumbsup:

I'm happy to accept that it is honest mistakes if there's strong evidence to support that it's settings and roundabouts and we get them as well.

Until then I think I'll continue to question it.

Pretty Boy
13-11-2016, 10:54 AM
I think some refs are just scared to implement the rules properly because of the grief they will get.

There was an incident yesterday in which Lee Miller was marking Hanlon at a corner. Miller was facing away from the ball, which was at the East side, and was facing Hanlon with his arms wrapped around him to stop him getting any sort of run. When the ball was hit he didn't let go and held him back. The ref was 5 yards away so as soon as the ball became live he should have awarded a penalty.

There was also an incident where Hibs had a free kick about 3 yards in from the East touchline. There is a line on the park to show 10 yards from the corner arc, a Falkirk player was at least 2 yards inside that so couldn't have been more than 5 or 6 yards from the ball. Both ref and linesman just ignored this and told McGinn to get on with it. The player should have told to move back and if he didn't then he should have been booked.

northstandhibby
13-11-2016, 10:56 AM

You seem to become very vocal when we begin questioning referees who appear to have forgotten how to correctly call decisions or are unable to let the game flow when up against a team which play non-football like Falkirk did yesterday.

Maybe you think supporters will stop attending or something because of it?

Most hibs supporters will recall many many utterly baffling decisions against us many more than for us. It will never stop us following the hibs because we often have to play against the notorious 12th man.

And we should have the right to highlight it where we see it and vent our outrage but it will never stop us following the club.

beensaidbefore
13-11-2016, 10:59 AM
Folk are simply giving their opinions on an official who IS "reffing at the highest level" and failing miserably yesterday IMHO. Do you think Beaton had a good game yesterday, and that referees in general should be above criticism?

I don't think anyone has posted on here that they think they are capable of refereeing at the highest level, have they? I know referees have a difficult job. Especially with all the cheating, diving, time wasting and play acting that goes on. Team managers/coaches are not immune from criticism here either for setting out their teams to "play" like that. Peter Houston.

However, ignoring breaches of the rules for no apparent reason, and failing to take any action leaves officials open to criticism, and accusations of cheating.

I'm just giving my opinion. That is, that folk on here are sounding like they could do a better job than folk currently reffing.
You're getting a bit touchy about it all. Perhaps you secretly want to be a ref?

easty
13-11-2016, 11:00 AM

Refs aren't cheating.

People who are looking for "these things to even themselves out 50/50" are looking for the wrong thing. They can surely only even out through actual cheating by refs.

If a ref makes 100 bad decisions in games involving us, the law of averages would suggest it would be about 50 for us and 50 against. If you toss a coin 100 times, probability would suggest 50 heads and 50 tails, the reality is that it doesn't work like that though. Life's a bitch, and everything isn't fair. It doesn't mean there's cheating though.

beensaidbefore
13-11-2016, 11:02 AM
Eh?

So because some on here are questioning ref's we should all become one!

No, but it's amazing that hibs.Net has so many experts regardless if it is a management, coaching, reffing. For me it is boring and indicative of the amount of crop people talk on here. Yeah the guy made mistakes but to call him a chart stinks and sounds like something the unwashed would come out with.

emerald green
13-11-2016, 11:03 AM

The bit in bold. I think we would be wasting our time to be honest. Has this issue not been raised many times before?

Why won't the appropriate people responsible for refereeing our game at least allow referees to speak publicly after a match, even if it's simply to admit they may have got a contentious decision wrong (or proven right if that transpires to be the case)?

What's so wrong with that?

Thecat23
13-11-2016, 11:05 AM
No, but it's amazing that hibs.Net has so many experts regardless if it is a management, coaching, reffing. For me it is boring and indicative of the amount of crop people talk on here. Yeah the guy made mistakes but to call him a chart stinks and sounds like something the unwashed would come out with.

It's not only him though, it's just about every ref. I do think that most are just simply poor but Beaton cheated yesterday and it was clear as day! Turning his back every goal kick? What ref does that?

CorrieHibs
Why was our first goal chopped off?

WhileTheChief..
I've no issue with calling refs out on their performance.

My problem is the allegations of cheating, bias or corruption. It's a cop out and doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

Imagine for a minute if our players or manager blamed the refs decisions for every bad result. We would rightly by furious and telling them to concentrate on getting results.

When we got relegated I don't remember everyone blaming the refs. We were furious at Butcher.

As for the quantity of decisions going against us, how can any of us possibly know about other teams?

I've no idea what the ref was like when Hamilton last played Kilmarnock. Maybe Killie are being targeted too??

Most football supporters will recall utterly baffling decisions against their team. We're not special in that regard at all.

Skol
13-11-2016, 11:08 AM
If Beaton was cheating Hibs, Taiwo wouldnt have been sent off.

Anyone who thinks there is a conspiracy really need to have a word with themselves.

Its poor refereeing, pure and simple.....

Thecat23
13-11-2016, 11:09 AM
I think some refs are just scared to implement the rules properly because of the grief they will get.

There was an incident yesterday in which Lee Miller was marking Hanlon at a corner. Miller was facing away from the ball, which was at the East side, and was facing Hanlon with his arms wrapped around him to stop him getting any sort of run. When the ball was hit he didn't let go and held him back. The ref was 5 yards away so as soon as the ball became live he should have awarded a penalty.

There was also an incident where Hibs had a free kick about 3 yards in from the East touchline. There is a line on the park to show 10 yards from the corner arc, a Falkirk player was at least 2 yards inside that so couldn't have been more than 5 or 6 yards from the ball. Both ref and linesman just ignored this and told McGinn to get on with it. The player should have told to move back and if he didn't then he should have been booked.

PB if that's the case then I give up! You cannot be scared to ref to the rules of the game. Those incidents you have mentioned was what made me think he was cheating. Also a free kick in the first half he counted out 10 yards then actually stepped a yard back and used his spray. The man shouldn't be near football.

northstandhibby
13-11-2016, 11:10 AM
I've no issue with calling refs out on their performance.

My problem is the allegations of cheating, bias or corruption. It's a cop out and doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

Imagine for a minute if our players or manager blamed the refs decisions for every bad result. We would rightly by furious and telling them to concentrate on getting results.

When we got relegated I don't remember everyone blaming the refs. We were furious at Butcher.

As for the quantity of decisions going against us, how can any of us possibly know about other teams?

I've no idea what the ref was like when Hamilton last played Kilmarnock. Maybe Killie are being targeted too??

Most football supporters will recall utterly baffling decisions against their team. We're not special in that regard at all.

It's hardly a cop out when it's not just one or two supporters saying it most weeks.

Supporters saying it are scrutinising it with their own pair of eyes which is in turn saying very loudly to the brain 'this referee is either not fit to referee a game or he is biased against us'

beensaidbefore
You don't agree the level of refereeing is inept?

I agree there seem to be too many errors on an almost weekly basis, but say ref's are cheating is ott imo. If folk are that bothered do something more helpful than whinging about it here. Ie start ref lessons or write to the sfa, club etc to voice concert. There is a danger folk think you are a paranoid loser though. Let's be honest if we look at games objectively, we will get as many decisions as the next team. What about the sending off yesterday? We are all moaning a few weeks ago that we did not win cos we were down to 10 men, refs fault. Surely we got a helping hand yesterday? Still ref's fault we didn't win.. Hahaha

SRHibs

I would give up trying to reason.

For all of those who are so convinced we are hard done by, I'd recommend doing some research on any other football club's forum - I'm sure you'll find a persecution complex akin to the embarrassing one we've developed.

Thecat23
13-11-2016, 11:11 AM
If Beaton was cheating Hibs, Taiwo wouldnt have been sent off.

Anyone who thinks there is a conspiracy really need to have a word with themselves.

Its poor refereeing, pure and simple.....

Wrong, if he couldn't turn a blind eye to that. But from that sending off he done everything he could to give Falkirk everything.

easty
13-11-2016, 11:13 AM
It's hardly a cop out when it's not just one or two supporters saying it most weeks.

Supporters saying it are scrutinising it with their own pair of eyes which is in turn saying very loudly to the brain 'this referee is either not fit to referee a game or he is biased against us'

Loads of people all having the same wrong opinion, doesn't make that opinion any more valid.

beensaidbefore
13-11-2016, 11:13 AM

I think it's society mate. Even look at politics business etc. Always has to me someone to blame, or implicate rather than people holding their hands up to mistakes.

People are always looking for someone to blame. Same here. Hibs should have won against 10 men regardless of how good the ref was. End of story.

gramskiwood
13-11-2016, 11:14 AM

Yes

Pretty Boy
13-11-2016, 11:15 AM
PB if that's the case then I give up! You cannot be scared to ref to the rules of the game. Those incidents you have mentioned was what made me think he was cheating. Also a free kick in the first half he counted out 10 yards then actually stepped a yard back and used his spray. The man shouldn't be near football.

I'm convinced it's part of it.

I remember a former ref being interviewed about penalising holding and pushing at corners and he basically said it's difficult to do because you would be awarding 10 penalties a game. It's not difficult at all, if the rules keep being broken then you apply them and award the penalties and it will soon stop.

We now seem to have a bizarre situation where refs have been told to clamp down on the above and they award one penalty, seem to think job done and let 5 or 6 similar incidents go. The inconsistency from refs is staggering and part of the reason they get so little respect.

emerald green
13-11-2016, 11:15 AM
I'm just giving my opinion. That is, that folk on here are sounding like they could do a better job than folk currently reffing.
You're getting a bit touchy about it all. Perhaps you secretly want to be a ref?

I know you are just giving your opinion, and you're perfectly entitled to it. No problem with that.

BUT when others gave their opinions you posted a sarcastic comment about them thinking they should put their money where their mouth is as they think they should be refereeing at the highest level. Nobody said that.

I wouldn't say I'm getting "a bit touchy about it all" (I presume you mean the standard of refereeing yesterday?). If so, touchy doesn't really adequately describe how I feel about my club being screwed over by a referee yet again.

Do you honestly think Beaton had a good game yesterday? You side stepped my earlier question.

beensaidbefore
13-11-2016, 11:16 AM

What players who left the park in the final were booked?

J-C
13-11-2016, 11:16 AM

This was Hippolyte , he was no more than 4-5 yards away, Beaton just turned and ran away when McGinn was complaining to him, blatantly not giving a ****.

WhileTheChief..
13-11-2016, 11:20 AM
I'd recommend doing some research on any other football club's forum - I'm sure you'll find a persecution complex akin to the embarrassing one we've developed.

:agree: Said the same last time this came up. Pick any club in any league and you'll find threads similar to this one.

Pie and bovril today...

Any sensible fan would be looking inwards at their inability to break down 10 men for 70 minutes. And as far as their whining about the ref... he only had 2 big decisions to make. One regarding a potential red for a Hibs player and one for us. IMO he got both wrong leaving them a man up for almost a full match.
To be honest the fact that they arent coasting this league is poor, but hey lets slate everyone except Lenny eh.

northstandhibby
13-11-2016, 11:23 AM
I think it's society mate. Even look at politics business etc. Always has to me someone to blame, or implicate rather than people holding their hands up to mistakes.

People are always looking for someone to blame. Same here. Hibs should have won against 10 men regardless of how good the ref was. End of story.

I think we can agree on the fact that most games should end up with the team with 11 winning v the team with 10 however the 12th man (referee) became Falkirk's additional man evening up the numbers. Also I never look to blame someone or something when beaten fair and square.

What everyone wants is a fair competent referee which would stop us all having a go at the SFA refs.

matty_f
13-11-2016, 11:23 AM
What players who left the park in the final were booked?

David Gray, as is normal - I don't think I've ever seen a referee book anyone other than the goal scorer in that situation.

beensaidbefore
13-11-2016, 11:25 AM
I know you are just giving your opinion, and you're perfectly entitled to it. No problem with that.

BUT when others gave their opinions you posted a sarcastic comment about them thinking they should put their money where their mouth is as they think they should be refereeing at the highest level. Nobody said that.

I wouldn't say I'm getting "a bit touchy about it all" (I presume you mean the standard of refereeing yesterday?). If so, touchy doesn't really adequately describe how I feel about my club being screwed over by a referee yet again.

Do you honestly think Beaton had a good game yesterday? You side stepped my earlier question.

Don't think he had a good game yesterday, but I don't think that makes him a cheat. Folk are being way out as per usual on here. I think it smacks of old firm mentality an d poor sportsmanship. We should have won yesterday regardless of the ref's performance.

emerald green
13-11-2016, 11:27 AM
:agree: Said the same last time this came up. Pick any club in any league and you'll find threads similar to this one.

Pie and bovril today...

Any sensible fan would be looking inwards at their inability to break down 10 men for 70 minutes. And as far as their whining about the ref... he only had 2 big decisions to make. One regarding a potential red for a Hibs player and one for us. IMO he got both wrong leaving them a man up for almost a full match.
To be honest the fact that they arent coasting this league is poor, but hey lets slate everyone except Lenny eh.

So the clown who posted that rubbish thinks Taiwo was not a red card? Hilarious.

beensaidbefore
13-11-2016, 11:27 AM
David Gray, as is normal - I don't think I've ever seen a referee book anyone other than the goal scorer in that situation.

We're we let off lightly then? Maybe ref's are cheating and should be booking everyone who leaves the pitch? I'm being silly I know, but there are numerous examples we don't see or choose not see as they go in our favour.

Canon Hannan
13-11-2016, 11:28 AM
I hope the SFA staff member who helped present us with the Cup at Hamden has nothing to do with referees! His puss was tripping him when we won the Cup. The SFA have been known to be rather Masonic and blue nose in the past. Celtic suffered for years. There is evidence. And I think our green colours will effect their decisions unfortunately.

Skol
13-11-2016, 11:29 AM
Wrong, if he couldn't turn a blind eye to that. But from that sending off he done everything he could to give Falkirk everything.

Come on, do you really believe that. Really ?

Yes, Falkirk got away with a lot, and before the sending off also. Many teams do at Easter Road right now. The problem is that they come here with that approach as a gameplan and we cannot adapt and overcome it.

There is no cheating or conspiracy. Never has been. Never will be.

Refs will make mistakes and players will push the boundaries to take advantage. I happen to think Holt went down a bit easily at times. He had already been carded and arguably could have evened the numbers up if he was cheating.

Instead of trying to say we are being cheated by refs and the establishments, why not focus on the real cheats. Lets start with Baird. Horrible horrible player. Then Hippolyte. And Miller...then there is Houston who sets out the cheating gameplan. Push the rules, niggles, take a chance waste time noise up Hibs. And its worked, but we focus on the referee and the SFA.

matty_f
13-11-2016, 11:31 AM
I think some people don't understand the argument being made. Nobody is blaming the ref for the result. You can blame the team or highlight faults in the performance of the team whilst still acknowledging that the ref was questionable.

Of course other teams can point to referee decisions, referees make mistakes - what I'm saying is show some evidence of it evening out. Aberdeen for instance, were raging about a soft penalty awarded against them, but benefited from a soft free kick against Rangers. Two big decisions, one for, one against.

I've been waiting a long time for us to get our share of mistakes in our favour, and if they are mistakes we would be getting the same as the other teams.

SRHibs
13-11-2016, 11:32 AM
So the clown who posted that rubbish thinks Taiwo was not a red card? Hilarious.

I guess that's the point. Bias plays a huge part in how we perceive refereeing decisions, and how many little things we pick up on.

snooky
13-11-2016, 11:33 AM
I hope the SFA staff member who helped present us with the Cup at Hamden has nothing to do with referees! His puss was tripping him when we won the Cup. The SFA have been known to be rather Masonic and blue nose in the past. Celtic suffered for years. There is evidence.

To be fair, I had reservations about how the ref would handle the final but I must say (and not because we won) I thought it was one of the few games I've seen where the referee was fair.

Btw, the fact that this observation actually stood out speaks volumes.

matty_f
13-11-2016, 11:33 AM
We're we let off lightly then? Maybe ref's are cheating and should be booking everyone who leaves the pitch? I'm being silly I know, but there are numerous examples we don't see or choose not see as they go in our favour.

We got the same treatment as other teams. Ref did well.

What are the examples?

WhileTheChief..
13-11-2016, 11:35 AM

:agree: And that's the essence of this whole argument.

One incident, two sets of supporters, two ways of looking at it no matter how blatant it may be.

To us it was a clear red, to them not so much. The ref called it as he saw it.

Bad sportsmanship was mentioned a moment ago. I agree whole heartedly.

emerald green
13-11-2016, 11:36 AM
Don't think he had a good game yesterday, but I don't think that makes him a cheat. Folk are being way out as per usual on here. I think it smacks of old firm mentality an d poor sportsmanship. We should have won yesterday regardless of the ref's performance.

I think we'll need to agree to disagree mate.

Where I will partially agree with you is that Hibs probably should have won yesterday against 10 men. But my final point is that due to the way Beaton refereed the match that made winning it more difficult.

Hibs failings in front of goal, and inability to defend Falkirk's one and only corner, were also to blame.

brog
13-11-2016, 11:36 AM
I just googled "John Beaton controversy" & about 6 different incidents, featuring different teams, immediately popped up. He was the ref who gave Jamie Walker the pen against Celtc for which Walker was subsequently banned yet he missed our pen vs Falkirk last season. There is a bit of a theme re Falkirk though.He allowed them a late equaliser vs Morton earlier this season when apparently there was a clear handball. Anyway there's complaints from Celtc, Sevco, Killie, Morton & Motherwell in addition to us. There's no cheating, just continual incompetency for which he is never held accountable.

matty_f
13-11-2016, 11:37 AM
I just googled "John Beaton controversy" & about 6 different incidents, featuring different teams, immediately popped up. He was the ref who gave Jamie Walker the pen against Celtc for which Walker was subsequently banned yet he missed our pen vs Falkirk last season. There is a bit of a theme re Falkirk though.He allowed them a late equaliser vs Morton earlier this season when apparently there was a clear handball. Anyway there's complaints from Celtc, Sevco, Killie, Morton & Motherwell in addition to us. There's no cheating, just continual incompetency for which he is never held accountable.
How many of the six were in our favour?

Thecat23
13-11-2016, 11:37 AM
Come on, do you really believe that. Really ?

Yes, Falkirk got away with a lot, and before the sending off also. Many teams do at Easter Road right now. The problem is that they come here with that approach as a gameplan and we cannot adapt and overcome it.

There is no cheating or conspiracy. Never has been. Never will be.

Refs will make mistakes and players will push the boundaries to take advantage. I happen to think Holt went down a bit easily at times. He had already been carded and arguably could have evened the numbers up if he was cheating.

Instead of trying to say we are being cheated by refs and the establishments, why not focus on the real cheats. Lets start with Baird. Horrible horrible player. Then Hippolyte. And Miller...then there is Houston who sets out the cheating gameplan. Push the rules, niggles, take a chance waste time noise up Hibs. And its worked, but we focus on the referee and the SFA.

Fully agree about Baird and Miller etc. So why is it so hard to think just like them the ref could also favour a team who play us? As I've said I didn't think refs cheated until yesterday! Football is sadly full of corruption and I've no doubt it's going on within our game.

Skol
13-11-2016, 11:38 AM
I think some people don't understand the argument being made. Nobody is blaming the ref for the result. You can blame the team or highlight faults in the performance of the team whilst still acknowledging that the ref was questionable.

Of course other teams can point to referee decisions, referees make mistakes - what I'm saying is show some evidence of it evening out. Aberdeen for instance, were raging about a soft penalty awarded against them, but benefited from a soft free kick against Rangers. Two big decisions, one for, one against.

I've been waiting a long time for us to get our share of mistakes in our favour, and if they are mistakes we would be getting the same as the other teams.
so its the luck of the draw, the roll of the dice you are questioning! of course things dont even themselves out, but we have benefitted from some poor calls. Admittedly not many spring to mind, but then they wouldnt but I bet if you ask any falkirk, pars, hearts fans they will point out a few

plenty others on here are claiming we are cheated. Think you need to have 2 different threads

J-C
13-11-2016, 11:42 AM

The rules state the scorer cannot leave the field after scoring, Baird did and was not booked, why? incompetence or plain biased?

blackpoolhibs
13-11-2016, 11:46 AM
Not applying the rules properly is cheating, if they are not prepared to do their job right then they should be struck off.

That ref yesterday should not be getting any game next week if the guy in the stand who watches his performance does his job properly.

We all know thats not going to happen, so the same things will continue to happen.

matty_f
13-11-2016, 11:46 AM
so its the luck of the draw, the roll of the dice you are questioning! of course things dont even themselves out, but we have benefitted from some poor calls. Admittedly not many spring to mind, but then they wouldnt but I bet if you ask any falkirk, pars, hearts fans they will point out a few

plenty others on here are claiming we are cheated. Think you need to have 2 different threads

All I'm looking for is some evidence to say that we don't get shafted by referees. And I'm happy, by the way, to take out the ones that have a bit of dubiety about them - we can give the ref the benefit of the doubt in those cases. Where are the clear goals that other teams have scored against us that were ruled out? The clearly onside goals that were given offside. The retrospective red cards that our players have picked up - Fyvie at Ibrox, there's one that I'll chuck in (like I said, I'm happy to put it down to mistakes if there's evidence).

Where are the stonewall penalties not given against us etc. There must be loads?

emerald green
13-11-2016, 11:47 AM
I guess that's the point. Bias plays a huge part in how we perceive refereeing decisions, and how many little things we pick up on.

:agree: And that's the essence of this whole argument.

One incident, two sets of supporters, two ways of looking at it no matter how blatant it may be.

To us it was a clear red, to them not so much. The ref called it as he saw it.

Bad sportsmanship was mentioned a moment ago. I agree whole heartedly.

Yes I get what you are both saying. Fair enough. Football fans will always be partisan. That's what they do!

However, that said, it was Beaton's consistent failure to penalise a whole series of rule infringements by Falkirk players during the 90 minutes that is worthy of criticism. I honestly don't think there can be any argument about that aspect of yesterday's game.

I don't consider myself a "bad sport" FWIW. I just want to see referees doing their jobs correctly and applying the rules fairly to BOTH teams. He failed to do that yesterday IMHO.

matty_f
13-11-2016, 11:48 AM
Yes I get what you are both saying. Fair enough. Football fans will always be partisan. That's what they do!

However, that said, it was Beaton's consistent failure to penalise a whole series of rule infringements by Falkirk players during the 90 minutes that is worthy of criticism. I honestly don't think there can be any argument about that aspect of yesterday's game.

I don't consider myself a "bad sport" FWIW. I just want to see referees doing their jobs correctly and applying the rules fairly to BOTH teams. He failed to do that yesterday IMHO.

The last part is exactly it. Give us the same treatment as other teams get. C

brog
13-11-2016, 11:48 AM
How many of the six were in our favour?

We were almost the only team not quoted! My point, as I'm sure you're aware, is we're not alone in complaining about this clown of a ref. I 100% agree we've been unfairly treated in recent years, arguably we were relegated because of one of those decisions & we certainly missed out on the play off final last season because of Alan Muir's incompetence. I do however believe it's a stretch to accuse our officials of cheating.

matty_f
13-11-2016, 11:51 AM
We were almost the only team not quoted! My point is, as I'm sure you're aware, is we're not alone in complaining about this clown of a ref. I 100% agree we've been unfairly treated in recent years, arguably we were relegated because of one of those decisions & we certainly missed out on the play off final last season because of Alan Muir's incompetence. I do however believe it's a stretch to accuse our officials of cheating.
I totally agree that referees make honest mistakes, and I completely agree that every team will feel aggrieved.

I think we're allowed to, at some point, ask the question about whether it is just luck of the draw as mentioned before, or whether the dice are loaded.

Eyrie
13-11-2016, 11:58 AM
I totally agree that referees make honest mistakes, and I completely agree that every team will feel aggrieved.

I think we're allowed to, at some point, ask the question about whether it is just luck of the draw as mentioned before, or whether the dice are loaded.

If it's the luck of the draw, then consider this.

The same referee makes decisions about both us and the team we are playing in any given match, so we are able to compare the debateable decisions in our favour against the debateable decisions that go against us on the same day. Taken across the course of a season we can average out the days that go against us with those that are in our favour which provides a consistency that would be lacking if we look at one game in isolation or how the same referee officiates two other teams on a different day.

And it's very clear from the long list of debateable decisions given against us compared to the very few in our favour that there is an imbalance there. When the same coin lands tails 90% of the time and heads only 10%, then I'd question the fairness of the coin.

matty_f
13-11-2016, 12:01 PM
If it's the luck of the draw, then consider this.

The same referee makes decisions about both us and the team we are playing in any given match, so we are able to compare the debateable decisions in our favour against the debateable decisions that go against us on the same day. Taken across the course of a season we can average out the days that go against us with those that are in our favour which provides a consistency that would be lacking if we look at one game in isolation or how the same referee officiates two other teams on a different day.

And it's very clear from the long list of debateable decisions given against us compared to the very few in our favour that there is an imbalance there. When the same coin lands tails 90% of the time and heads only 10%, then I'd question the fairness of the coin.

WhileTheChief..
13-11-2016, 12:09 PM
Yeah but a decision that goes in our favour isn't contentious to us. When it happens we say "well played ref". There isn't a list to make.

easty
13-11-2016, 12:12 PM
How on earth did we manage to win the Scottish cup for the first time in a billion years, in an era of 'blatant cheating by refs against us'?

matty_f
13-11-2016, 12:15 PM
Yeah but a decision that goes in our favour isn't contentious to us. When it happens we say "well played ref". There isn't a list to make.

They'd be reported though? When Houston thought we had a soft penalty at Falkirk (we didn't) it was in the papers and on radio. When McGinn got wrongly sent off against Falkirk and had it rescinded, it was reported and was on TV. Just because we might dismiss them (and bear in mind we are capable of being objective) doesn't mean there won't be evidence to back them up.

As I posted earlier, I can remember Hanlon being given a goal against Dunfermline years ago that never crossed the line. It's not like we just forget decisions like that because it suits the argument.

matty_f
13-11-2016, 12:18 PM
How on earth did we manage to win the Scottish cup for the first time in a billion years, in an era of 'blatant cheating by refs against us'?

You might ask what stopped us winning it for a billion years. :wink:

WhileTheChief..
13-11-2016, 12:33 PM
They'd be reported though? When Houston thought we had a soft penalty at Falkirk (we didn't) it was in the papers and on radio. When McGinn got wrongly sent off against Falkirk and had it rescinded, it was reported and was on TV. Just because we might dismiss them (and bear in mind we are capable of being objective) doesn't mean there won't be evidence to back them up.

As I posted earlier, I can remember Hanlon being given a goal against Dunfermline years ago that never crossed the line. It's not like we just forget decisions like that because it suits the argument.

Might be a bit of a hassle but you could check back to a game that we won by the odd goal and opposition had a player sent off. Go to that clubs fans forum and read up on the game or maybe match reports.

I quite often read our opponents forums to get their views pre and post match. I find that it can give some balance and allows us to "see ourselves as others see us". Or something like that!

matty_f
13-11-2016, 12:36 PM
Might be a bit of a hassle but you could check back to a game that we won by the odd goal and opposition had a player sent off. Go to that clubs fans forum and read up on the game or maybe match reports.

I quite often read our opponents forums to get their views pre and post match. I find that it can give some balance and allows us to "see ourselves as others see us". Or something like that!

Trust me, I've looked - they are very, very hard to find.

JimBHibees
13-11-2016, 12:46 PM

Pie and bovril today...

So you believe some random Falkirk fan over Hibs fans. I don't think all refs are cheats however I think some are. Ask yourself the question would Beaton have had the nerve to allow an away team to get away with the tactics of Falkirk at either Ibrox or parkhead. Not a chance. This season alone we have had 2 wrong sending offs. contrast and compare the number of wrong red cards we have got and also the number of after the game reds other teams have had. It doesn't add up I am afraid. Do you think Thompson was fair in 2012 final, do you think Muir was fair in the play off game last year. I certainly don't.

WhileTheChief..
13-11-2016, 01:01 PM
So you believe some random Falkirk fan over Hibs fans.

Eh? Have you read any of the thread??

I guess people just see what they want to see. :confused:

brog
13-11-2016, 01:12 PM

OK Matty here's a quiz for you. It's possible to make a case that we won the Scottish Cup last season, has this ever been mentioned :greengrin, because of a refereeing decision error made by our favourite referee Craig Thomson. See if you, or anyone else can work out what I'm havering about! I agree with you that it's difficult to find decisions in our favour though I do recall Heffernan scoring an offside goal vs Celtc in our relegation season. That point could have kept us up.

matty_f
13-11-2016, 01:19 PM
OK Matty here's a quiz for you. It's possible to make a case that we won the Scottish Cup last season, has this ever been mentioned :greengrin, because of a refereeing decision error made by our favourite referee Craig Thomson. See if you, or anyone else can work out what I'm havering about! I agree with you that it's difficult to find decisions in our favour though I do recall Heffernan scoring an offside goal vs Celtc in our relegation season. That point could have kept us up.

Thomson had the derby, what other games did he ref? What was the decision? You're right about Heffernan's goal, he was definitely offside.

brog
13-11-2016, 01:33 PM
Thomson had the derby, what other games did he ref? What was the decision? You're right about Heffernan's goal, he was definitely offside.

CT reffed the other semi last season. Barrie McKay scored after Sevco were wrongly awarded a throw in. Celtc forums still go crazy about this. Without that error, Celtc would probably have been our Final opponents & the rest may not have been history. I can sum up my position as; do I believe Hibs have been unfairly treated, or maybe even cheated, as a result of errors made by refs? Absolutely! Do I believe refs have deliberately set out to cheat us? Absolutely not!

Dashing Bob S
13-11-2016, 01:37 PM
The standard of refereeing in Scotland is poor. It's regrettable, but I get that and I'm not bothered about it, as poor refereeing, without systematic bias, will effect both teams.

The bias is something else and puts us at a huge disadvantage. When you look at the points decisions have cost us already, they could easily be responsible for us spending another season in this division.

matty_f
13-11-2016, 01:46 PM
CT reffed the other semi last season. Barrie McKay scored after Sevco were wrongly awarded a throw in. Celtc forums still go crazy about this. Without that error, Celtc would probably have been our Final opponents & the rest may not have been history. I can sum up my position as; do I believe Hibs have been unfairly treated, or maybe even cheated, as a result of errors made by refs? Absolutely! Do I believe refs have deliberately set out to cheat us? Absolutely not!
I don't think the refs necessarily set out to screw us over, but I'm less convinced that there isn't some unconscious or even conscious bias in games against us. I think in that respect the evidence points to some bias.

wookie70
13-11-2016, 01:47 PM
Had a wee look at the highlights and some of the first half. The sending off wasn't as clear cut as I thought. McGinn does look like he is going to stamp and Taiwo is reckless. SJM plants his feet before Taiwo arrives so the red was correct for TT but it could have went either way. The Hib's commentator called the red card for McGinn. The linesman was quite correct to flag Boyle offside and it was a decent decision given that it happened quickly. The other decisions that really annoyed me at the game the officials got wrong. McGregor got booked for nothing and Baird's challenge on Shinnie was the clearest card of the day.

Through my Emerald Green glasses I called all the decisions, as did the vast majority of the crowd, correctly from more than 50 yards away. The referee has got less than half of the ones I have looked at correct imo. I admit to not having an opinion on the offside goal at the game even though I was in the perfect spot to see it so well done Lino for getting it spot on.

macca70
13-11-2016, 01:50 PM
In terms of decisions to give the correct fouls, I can't really remember anything he got too wrong.

But his handling of situations was poor.

Hippolyte should have been booked well before he was, hibs about to take a free kick on edge of our own box and Hippolyte kicked the ball away.

Their goalie should have been booked, the ball boy threw him the ball, he blatantly ignored it to rely it roll away and went to take a drink of water!!

The referee acknowledged his time wasting by speaking to him but whys he not just booked him.

Although I didn't see what McGregor done and it's been caught on TV but apparently he might have been lucky not to get a red, not sure if it was the rammy where he got booked or something else

JimBHibees
13-11-2016, 02:01 PM
This is my point. If it's incompetence and incompetence alone, we'd have as many in our favour. We simply don't. That is why we have a right you ask the question over their integrity.

We all make mistakes, and I understand refs will make mistakes too - I have no issue with that. Not booking their keeper for time wasting want a mistake. Not booking the boy for celebrating as he did wasn't a mistake, not booking the player that hauled Shinnie back, or the one that chopped him down, or had Hanlon round the neck to pull him back - those weren't mistakes. The ref didn't save them from a booking by accident. Those were conscious decisions where he has decided not to apply the rules of the game for reasons only he knows.

The offside goal wasn't clear cut, if the ref gets that wrong I can accept that - that would be a mistake. The other ones were blatant, none of them right decisions or ones that needed a particularly in depth understanding of the laws of the game.

Those weren't accidental mistakes, and if they're not accidental then surely we have to ask what they were?
Absolutely spot on.

JimBHibees
13-11-2016, 02:04 PM
Eh? Have you read any of the thread??

I guess people just see what they want to see. :confused:

Of course completely ignoring the rest of the post.

eastcoasthibby
13-11-2016, 02:04 PM

I think he correctly made the red card call and then as it continued to get nippy, with a couple not so ggod challenges before the one where mcgegor and their centre half got yellows , he lost it from that point ..McGregor got booked for what ?? It was Baird again and Hippolyte I think and from that point they saw that he had weakened and wasn't going to reduce them further so stopped managing the game as he should have they therefore continued and he continued to let things go ..as some have said Baird and Hippolyte should have ha d yellows in the first half ..Bairds blatant late kick at Shinnies ankles After he played the ball away, free kick given and it was a booking all day and every game but nothing !!
They took full advantage of a referee who made a good strong decision and then looked like he wanted to make amends by not taking the right decisions the rest of the game ..very poor from a supposed better ref ..and in light of this my view on that yesterday was that it was cheating, so many refs cannot be so incompetent as much as they are.
A statistic worth looking at would be how many big decisions have refs got wrong in Hibs games as against other teams games ???

lapsedhibee
13-11-2016, 02:13 PM
If you toss a coin 100 times, probability would suggest 50 heads and 50 tails, the reality is that it doesn't work like that though.

What are the respective numbers in reality? :hmmm:

lapsedhibee
13-11-2016, 02:17 PM
You might ask what stopped us winning it for a billion years. :wink:

:agree: We'd have only taken 77 years on a level playing field!

Bostonhibby
13-11-2016, 02:27 PM
Didn't think yesterdays ref cheated. He just missed quite a bit, wasn't helped by a useless west standside assistant and ref bottled following through on his earlier attempts to prevent fouling and time wasting in particular.

We were playing a houston team who detect how much they can get away with then crack on with deliberate niggling fouls to break up play. I really wouldn't pay money to watch them every week. Straight out of the yam training manual.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

The Green Goblin
13-11-2016, 02:38 PM

This is where I am with it too. I think we are perfectly entitled to ask the question and just because we do, doesn't automatically mean we have suddenly become paranoid as a default mindset. The evidence is there, and mounting with every passing week.

Tom Hart RIP
13-11-2016, 03:04 PM
Not read whole thread do apologies if already mentioned but did anyone else see that Beaton twice paced out 8 paces for free kicks for us in front of goals?
Maybe he has big strides but it looked strange.
I also think Beaton is one of the refs who insists on not awarding 50/50s to the team whose fans are booing him

emerald green
13-11-2016, 05:04 PM
This is where I am with it too. I think we are perfectly entitled to ask the question and just because we do, doesn't automatically mean we have suddenly become paranoid as a default mindset. The evidence is there, and mounting with every passing week.

:agree: :aok:

emerald green
13-11-2016, 05:52 PM
Not read whole thread do apologies if already mentioned but did anyone else see that Beaton twice paced out 8 paces for free kicks for us in front of goals?
Maybe he has big strides but it looked strange.
I also think Beaton is one of the refs who insists on not awarding 50/50s to the team whose fans are booing him

Strangely, Beaton awarded 16 fouls against Hibs compared to 13 against Falkirk yesterday.

In my experience, when a team goes down to 10 men, it's usually that team which commits by far the most fouls because they are forced to by being under constant pressure.

Marco G
13-11-2016, 08:32 PM
Strangely, Beaton awarded 16 fouls against Hibs compared to 13 against Falkirk yesterday.

In my experience, when a team goes down to 10 men, it's usually that team which commits by far the most fouls because they are forced to by being under constant pressure.
A lot of the free kicks against us were in their half when we were pressing them and they took the option of going down thinking they would get the free kick and they were right, they did buy them easily!

The free kicks against them were mostly to break up our attacking moves. Like Raith Rovers (managed by another ex Jambo is that a coincidence?) the whole plan was to break up the play.

Re the yardage at free kicks the other poster is right. The one I remember outside of box rhs second half, Beaton paced 9 smallish steps, then cause the Falkirk players were in his way, he stepped back a pace and marked the line. So they were about 7 yds from the ball when we took the free kick.

The time also in second half out on their left near their 18 yd box when Hippolyte was no more than 5 yards from the ball after being ushered away from standing by the ball by the assistant ref and Beaton insisted we get on with taking the free kick was more than just odd imho.

BurstBaw
13-11-2016, 08:51 PM
Had a wee look at the highlights and some of the first half. The sending off wasn't as clear cut as I thought. McGinn does look like he is going to stamp and Taiwo is reckless. SJM plants his feet before Taiwo arrives so the red was correct for TT but it could have went either way. The Hib's commentator called the red card for McGinn. The linesman was quite correct to flag Boyle offside and it was a decent decision given that it happened quickly. The other decisions that really annoyed me at the game the officials got wrong. McGregor got booked for nothing and Baird's challenge on Shinnie was the clearest card of the day.

Through my Emerald Green glasses I called all the decisions, as did the vast majority of the crowd, correctly from more than 50 yards away. The referee has got less than half of the ones I have looked at correct imo. I admit to not having an opinion on the offside goal at the game even though I was in the perfect spot to see it so well done Lino for getting it spot on.

Lino's reportedly a Yam???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snooky
13-11-2016, 08:55 PM

:hmmm: The cynic in me says that the refs helped us to get to the final so The Rangers would have an 'easy' opponent but their devious plan went skew-whiff on the day ...... surely not?

Danderhall Hibs
13-11-2016, 09:29 PM
So what've been the blatant decisions in our favour then?

matty_f
13-11-2016, 09:31 PM
So what've been the blatant decisions in our favour then?

Hanlon goal v Dunfermline, Heffernan offside goal v Celtc, Fyvie simulation at Ibrox. So far.

Sir David Gray
13-11-2016, 09:33 PM
Why would he have sent Taiwo off after 25 minutes if he was trying to cheat against us and wanted us to lose?

Danderhall Hibs
13-11-2016, 09:38 PM
Hanlon goal v Dunfermline, Heffernan offside goal v Celtc, Fyvie simulation at Ibrox. So far.

So that's 1 in the last year? Must be more than that based on some of the comments made on here?

wookie70
13-11-2016, 10:27 PM
Just had a search for John Beaton on this forum. He appears about as much as Craig Thomson on these pages

The Green Goblin
13-11-2016, 10:59 PM
Why would he have sent Taiwo off after 25 minutes if he was trying to cheat against us and wanted us to lose?

I don't think he had much choice.

Kato
15-11-2016, 08:20 AM
We live in a country where one football club can urge the police and judiciary to come down in the most draconian manner on the fans of another but people are struggling to believe that there might be a few snide refs in the system?

Of course there is, always has been and, sadly, always will be.

Marco G
15-11-2016, 02:40 PM
Just had a search for John Beaton on this forum. He appears about as much as Craig Thomson on these pages
Well someone at SFA must think he had a good game on Saturday cause he has just been given the League Cup Final!

GreenLake
15-11-2016, 05:31 PM
I have watched a few years of MLS soccer games at the stadium for home games and on TV for away games. I want my local team to win and often find the referees make bad calls. I can't ever remember thinking any of the refs were biased and the bad decisions seem to be entirely random against either team. I can't say the same for a lot of games I have watched Hibs play in the last few years. It could be explained by the fact that Hibs try to play football against hammer throwers and not necessarily cheating by the refs. They might think the games will degenerate into a farce if they give too many free kicks or show four yellow cards to the same team in the first 30 minutes.

It would be nice to commission a Hibs.net research project by some foreign independent professional football statisticians and analysts who could settle this argument once and for all. :greengrin

Bill Milne
16-11-2016, 07:48 AM
With all the recent incompetence from referees lately (Muir, Beaton et al!), I confidently predicted that Craig Charleston would be appointed to the QOS game. I just checked the SFA website and, guess what, it's him!! A bigger Hun you won;t meet and even worse than the two tubes already mentioned IMHO.

JimBHibees
16-11-2016, 07:53 AM
What we can see from this season is that the team are going to have to win the league in spite of refs? Whereas and I agree to a level of bias here that both Hearts and Rangers got huge amounts of pens in this league and didnt have anywhere near the amount of interesting decisions against to deal with.

Combination of Cup win and Lennon me thinks.

matty_f
19-11-2016, 05:37 PM
In the interests of balance, I thought the ref today had a good game.

Skol
19-11-2016, 05:39 PM

The number of booking given to QOTS must count as evening things up

Thecat23
19-11-2016, 05:40 PM

Can I also say the ref today was very good. Let the game flow and actually booked players unlike every other ref we've had so far! That's one ref who's not in on it 😁😁

wookie70
19-11-2016, 05:43 PM
I think the ref showed what a difference booking players can make. QOS looked like they were targeting McGinn and the early couple of booking stopped that plan and made it harder for them to break up play time after time. Well played ref.

Keith_M
19-11-2016, 05:44 PM
The number of booking given to QOTS must count as evening things up

Not if they were kicking everything that moved.

jonty
19-11-2016, 05:45 PM
I don't think the ref's are cheating, I just think that in this day and age they don't have the right tools to do the job.
As a fan you'll always think the decisions are harsh. When there is an increase in cards being overturned, then they need help.

A key factor is a better viewpoint. If they can use video evidence as part of the appeal or sanctions, then why not realtime? Instead of 2 additional linesmen behind the goals, shove them in the stands with video equipment and direct line into the refs ear. You could almost question why we need linesmen at all (other than their physical presence when things get heated. 2 refs running about on the park and 2 on the sidelines should be enough.

BlackSheep
19-11-2016, 05:45 PM
Can I also say the ref today was very good. Let the game flow and actually booked players unlike every other ref we've had so far! That's one ref who's not in on it 😁😁

Totally agree, The ref had a great game today. Though a strange trend I seem to be noticing is when we have a poor refereeing performance one week, the next week the referee seems to give a lot of decisions that should have been given the previous week... for example today booking players for persistent fouling and professional fouling and then booking the keeper for kicking the ball away. It definitely feels like the SFA and the referees are paying attention to the referee performances at hibs games.

Thecat23
19-11-2016, 05:46 PM
Totally agree, The ref had a great game today. Though a strange trend I seem to be noticing is when we have a poor refereeing performance one week, the next week the referee seems to give a lot of decisions that should have been given the previous week... for example today booking players for persistent fouling and professional fouling and then booking the keeper for kicking the ball away. It definitely feels like the SFA and the referees are paying attention to the referee performances at hibs games.

Exactly, which makes it more baffling how they can be so far apart on performances.

19-11-2016, 05:47 PM

Aye he wasn't bad today in fairness. Beaton last week was utterly dreadful.

Danderhall Hibs
19-11-2016, 05:47 PM

He was decent, thought it was a penalty when Boyle was tripped up and wondered how there was no foul/penalty when the keeper decided to have a push at Boyle in the first couple of minutes.

19-11-2016, 05:49 PM
The standard of referees in this country is so bad that yes it is easy to think that they are cheating.

I don't believe there is some big conspiracy against hibs, the referees are just dire thats all.

emerald green
19-11-2016, 05:54 PM
Who was the referee? I've been highly critical of referees, with good reason IMHO. But today the referee did his job and dished out yellow cards early to warn them they were not going to be allowed to kick Hibs (McGinn in particular) off the park. Unlike on numerous previous occasions. If only they all did that and there was some consistency.

Also, it was good that Hibs scored an early goal which basically put paid to any notion QOS had of time wasting and running the clock down hoping to "do a Falkirk."

matty_f
19-11-2016, 06:18 PM
He was decent, thought it was a penalty when Boyle was tripped up and wondered how there was no foul/penalty when the keeper decided to have a push at Boyle in the first couple of minutes.

Why was the one on Boyle at the start not a penalty? It was like it was too obvious.

Thought the other shout was a penalty as well, but it wasn't clear so can understand why it wasn't given.

Famous Fiver
19-11-2016, 07:16 PM
I agree early goal made all the difference.

They couldn't indulge in the Falkirk tactics because they had to chase the game so couldn't use the three men to take throw, goalie taking drinks, faking head injuries and falling over as soon as a challenge came in tactics. If Boyle had taken only half of the chances he had today (he converted one out of six) we would have been out of sight bent ref or no bent ref......... and there are plenty of them.

Danderhall Hibs
19-11-2016, 08:29 PM
Who was the referee?

Programme says Craig Charleston.

CropleyWasGod
19-11-2016, 08:30 PM
Programme says Craig Charleston.

Smeggin' hell.

Danderhall Hibs
19-11-2016, 08:30 PM
Why was the one on Boyle at the start not a penalty? It was like it was too obvious.

No idea mate - waiting on one of our refereeing chums to let us know.

tamig
19-11-2016, 08:54 PM
With all the recent incompetence from referees lately (Muir, Beaton et al!), I confidently predicted that Craig Charleston would be appointed to the QOS game. I just checked the SFA website and, guess what, it's him!! A bigger Hun you won;t meet and even worse than the two tubes already mentioned IMHO.

Well give me that humungous hun anytime. Thought the ref had a decent game today.

Billy Whizz
19-11-2016, 08:55 PM

He's a big Falkirk fan I'm told, not a hun

Smartie
19-11-2016, 09:00 PM
The ref was good today.

It was quite refreshing to see players getting booked for bookable offences and you got the feeling that if a player committed two then the ref would be prepared to send a man off.

The refereeing this season has been atrocious, and I normally don't like it when people get on refs' backs too much.

I'm happy to overlook the odd 50/50 judgment call that a ref may have got wrong (such as the Boyle penalty which I thought was a decent shout) if he's generally got the game under control, puts his foot down where necessary whilst letting the game flow and playing advantage where he can.

I wonder if the Queens fans think he gave us everything?

Jonnyboy
19-11-2016, 09:17 PM
The ref was good today.

It was quite refreshing to see players getting booked for bookable offences and you got the feeling that if a player committed two then the ref would be prepared to send a man off.

The refereeing this season has been atrocious, and I normally don't like it when people get on refs' backs too much.

I'm happy to overlook the odd 50/50 judgment call that a ref may have got wrong (such as the Boyle penalty which I thought was a decent shout) if he's generally got the game under control, puts his foot down where necessary whilst letting the game flow and playing advantage where he can.

I wonder if the Queens fans think he gave us everything?

Not sure what they thought but here's a decent match report from their official site

http://www.qosfc.com/match-1455

Chuckled when I read that Marciano was 'rooted' for their free kick that hit the post only to see a photo right below that comment with Marciano diving at full stretch :greengrin

Marco G
20-11-2016, 11:22 AM
Smeggin' hell.
Yep, he had a good game, played advantages well and kept firm control. Just shows you dont know what you are going to get! Chalk and cheese compared with Beaton last week.

Onceinawhile
20-11-2016, 05:11 PM
Thought the ref was good yesterday. Played advantage in the build up to boyle's goal. He also played advantage a few other times.

Danderhall Hibs
20-11-2016, 05:13 PM
Thought the ref was good yesterday. Played advantage in the build up to boyle's goal. He also played advantage a few other times.

Still not sure how it wasn't a foul/penalty when the goalie had a pop at Boyle though?

snooky
05-03-2018, 10:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3LCUiQhME

Just been looking at the 6min highlights of the 1972 League Cup Final (link above).
Go to 4.30min - Edwards is penalised. For what?
Go to 5.00min - Ball goes out off a Celtc player - throw to Celtc. WTF?