PDA

View Full Version : Zonal marking

glenn6270
12-11-2016, 04:54 PM
cost us again today

R'Albin
12-11-2016, 04:55 PM
Agreed. Three men ended up going for the exact same ball for their goal.

number9dream
12-11-2016, 05:03 PM
If three men go for the same ball, it's not exactly zonal marking is it? If the players have "a zone" to concentrate on then one man takes responsibility and makes the clearance. It's just bad defending.

Ozyhibby
12-11-2016, 05:04 PM
Bad defending. Nothing to do with zonal marking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thecat23
12-11-2016, 05:07 PM
Bad defending. Nothing to do with zonal marking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually was a mixture of both.

lucky
12-11-2016, 05:16 PM
We need to drop the zonal marking as that's what's costing us at set plays. The players are not comfortable with it.

emerald green
12-11-2016, 05:19 PM
Blame it on zonal marking or simply bad defending, it doesn't really matter. The inability to defend corners is hurting Hibs badly.

Corner against Ayr - goal conceded. Drop all 3 points at home. (I know, Bartley was wrongly red carded).

Corner against Dundee United - goal conceded. Drop 2 points at home.

Corner against Falkirk - goal conceded. Drop another 2 points at home.

Today Hibs had 18 corners to Falkirk's only corner from which they score.

The fact that Baird was allowed to run half the length of the pitch at that stage of the match and force a corner was poor from Hibs point of view too.

HappyAsHellas
12-11-2016, 05:25 PM
They had 3 guys near the edge of the box at their corner, and we were lined up zonally on the 6 yard line. Straight away you give them up to a 12 yard run on your defenders. The ball got played out to their guy at the edge of the box and 3 central defenders run out to a ball they are never going to reach which leaves an easy nod down to an attacker who now has no one covering him. Why Lennon thinks this system is worthwhile even considering is totally beyond comprehension.

dmc1875
12-11-2016, 05:29 PM
Blame it on zonal marking or simply bad defending, it doesn't really matter. The inability to defend corners is hurting Hibs badly.

Corner against Ayr - goal conceded. Drop all 3 points at home. (I know, Bartley was wrongly red carded).

The fact that Baird was allowed to run half the length of the pitch at that stage of the match and force a corner was poor from Hibs point of view too.

McGinn should have taken the yellow and dragged him back at the half way line...

emerald green
12-11-2016, 05:35 PM
McGinn should have taken the yellow and dragged him back at the half way line...

:agree: One way or another, Baird should have been stopped long before he got anywhere near the bye line to force the corner. Their only f****** corner. Raging.

Nicho87
12-11-2016, 05:43 PM
Three men went for the ball falkirk player wins it and unmarked is the opposition. Pick a jersey and own him, old school.

where'stheslope
12-11-2016, 06:05 PM
Three men went for the ball falkirk player wins it and unmarked is the opposition. Pick a jersey and own him, old school.

Its the Falkirk way!
Houston told Stubbsie, take care of your own defending I'll worry about mine!
He never listened and it cost us, now Lennon allowing the same thing to happen?
We have seen it happen so many times, who is responsible set pieces, they need to be schooled in picking up and not allowing their player room to attack the ball!!!!

Kojock
12-11-2016, 06:18 PM
If Gray and Fonts were still in the pitch then they would never have scored that goal. Strange substitutions by Lennon today.

Wee Effen Bee
12-11-2016, 06:21 PM
They had 3 guys near the edge of the box at their corner, and we were lined up zonally on the 6 yard line. Straight away you give them up to a 12 yard run on your defenders. The ball got played out to their guy at the edge of the box and 3 central defenders run out to a ball they are never going to reach which leaves an easy nod down to an attacker who now has no one covering him. Why Lennon thinks this system is worthwhile even considering is totally beyond comprehension.

This!
I have never really criticised people in football who are in positions of management as a lot more goes into running a team than just the 90 mins on a Saturday. Whichever way I look at it however, zonal marking just doesn't seem to work. I have no real evidence, other than anecdotal, but I can't see how you can defend properly from a standing position against a group running at you. It defies logic IMHO. I'm sure a lot of successful coaches could make an argument for it and point out the reasoning behind the strategy but, all I see is defending teams losing first and second balls.

ancient hibee
12-11-2016, 06:24 PM

Shinnie pulling out of a 50/50 ball didn't do us any favours either.

Our corners and crossing generally (apart from the equaliser)was very poor.Fontaine must go for every corner with his eyes shut.It's a waste of time when he goes up.

J-C
12-11-2016, 06:31 PM
Lennon had taken off Fontaine and Gray who are both good in the air, we lost height for anything coming into the box, poor decision by Lennon.

emerald green
12-11-2016, 06:33 PM
Shinnie pulling out of a 50/50 ball didn't do us any favours either.

Our corners and crossing generally (apart from the equaliser)was very poor.Fontaine must go for every corner with his eyes shut.It's a waste of time when he goes up.

:agree: To get such a poor return, in terms of goals (i.e. zero!) on 18 corners is very poor. No doubt about it.

Also, the thing that really rubs salt into the wound is that Falkirk scored from their one and only corner. Opposition teams have seen this, and will plan and play accordingly.

Lennon and his coaching team and the players need to get this sorted out immediately.

ancient hibee
12-11-2016, 06:35 PM
Lennon had taken off Fontaine and Gray who are both good in the air, we lost height for anything coming into the box, poor decision by Lennon.

We shouldn't have allowed anything into the box. Taking off two unemployed defenders for attackers was the right decision particularly as Fontaine was continually getting in the way upfront.The goal was lost not because of lack of height but because Baird was being loosely "marked" by Harris.

BlackSheep
12-11-2016, 08:35 PM

I said he exact same thing at the game... you see it happen all the time down south and in Europe.... if there's ever a time to take one for the team the it's when the poorer team get a break...!

J-C
12-11-2016, 09:03 PM
We shouldn't have allowed anything into the box. Taking off two unemployed defenders for attackers was the right decision particularly as Fontaine was continually getting in the way upfront.The goal was lost not because of lack of height but because Baird was being loosely "marked" by Harris.

Hence the reason why I was disappointed when he took off 2 defenders, taking off Fontaine was correct as we were only defending against 1 striker but a flat back 4 with 2 fullbacks should've been a given, Gray wouldn't have allowed Baird the space.

B.H.F.C
12-11-2016, 10:01 PM
Don't think zonal marking is the issue. If we used man marking we'd still lose goals. We did last season, particularly against Falkirk if memory serves me right.