PDA

View Full Version : McGinn's passing today..

California-Hibs
12-11-2016, 05:00 PM
Was absolutely woeful! So so frustrating. I'm usually a huge John McGinn fan but the amount of wasted corners, shots into the stand, wayward passes etc was horrendous. You're better than that John!

Yes, before anyone says, he set the goal up but overall I thought he was poor.

FitbaFolkKen
12-11-2016, 05:03 PM
Was absolutely woeful! So so frustrating. I'm usually a huge John McGinn fan but the amount of wasted corners, shots into the stand, wayward passes etc was horrendous. You're better than that John!

It's amazing how views differ, the radio were saying he has been immense today. Head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch.

I couldn't make it today so can't pass judgement.

matty_f
12-11-2016, 05:04 PM
It's amazing how views differ, the radio were saying he has been immense today. Head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch.

I thought he had a very good game, tbf.

Hi Heid Yin
12-11-2016, 05:05 PM
McGinn, this season, is certainly not performing to the standards he can reach. The calcium-deposit issue, perhaps, is impacting his game - as hinted at by Lennon. I would hazard a guess and say he's playing at 75% capacity

Unseen work
12-11-2016, 05:05 PM
Going by hibs tv radio the normal phrases were

Mcginn on the ball, he passes it but oh it's intercepted

Mcginn to take the corner but oh it's over hit

Mcginn to shoot but he's leaned back and blasted it over

I can't remember the commentators saying anything else was happening

blackpoolhibs
12-11-2016, 05:06 PM
McGinn was very good today, bar 2 or 3 misplaced passes????? :confused:

matty_f
12-11-2016, 05:07 PM

Yep. :agree:

DaveF
12-11-2016, 05:07 PM

5/10 from me. Worked hard but his passing was largely of a standard I'm capable of.

Diclonius
12-11-2016, 05:08 PM
I thought he played really well today.

Dashing Bob S
12-11-2016, 05:09 PM

Wouldn't single out McGinn, only really saw two bad passes from him, but our final ball in general was very poor. But we really have to work on our movement in the box. Far too static and not giving the suppliers enough good options.

I didn't think Hibs were that bad today. Falkirk dug deep and rode their luck a little, but I've come to dread games at Easter Road and wish we could play away the whole season.

Pretty Boy
12-11-2016, 05:09 PM
Good work rate, few good runs and 2 decent efforts. His passing was average at best though. Think it was frustration and tryint balls that were never on.

Centre Hawf
12-11-2016, 05:10 PM
We know he's capable of better. He wasn't bad but not great either. Maybe needs a wee rest now McGeouch seems to be back.

hibee_girl
12-11-2016, 05:23 PM

He did. A few misplaced passes but if he was perfect he wouldn't be at hibs!

Bishop Hibee
12-11-2016, 05:32 PM
I thought McGinn played well. Point a finger at Stevenson, Gray and Shinnie who weren't at their best but not him.

whiskas
12-11-2016, 05:43 PM
He's that sort of player. Always looking to get the all and pass it forward so the law of averages would suggest more misplaced ones. I'd prefer him to keep playing like that and give the ball away occasionally than not play forward at all

Borderhibbie76
12-11-2016, 05:49 PM
I thought McGinn played well. Point a finger at Stevenson, Gray and Shinnie who weren't at their best but not him.
Agreed a few misplaced passes but he was one of the best performers today...gray Stevenson and Boyle were poor I thought

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Scouse Hibee
12-11-2016, 05:51 PM
He wasn't that bad but hasn't been at his best for months anyway.

ForeverHibs93
12-11-2016, 05:53 PM
Other than a few misplaced passes I thought McGinn was one of the better performers out there today.

He was the only one who wanted to run with the ball & have a shot from distance.

Highland_Hibee
12-11-2016, 05:59 PM
Ehh McGinn created some good opportunities and was not far off with the majority of his shots. He did miss place a few passes but that is what happen when you don't pass the ball sideways all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
12-11-2016, 06:01 PM
Ehh McGinn created some good opportunities and was not far off with the majority of his shots. He did miss place a few passes but that is what happen when you don't pass the ball sideways all the time.

A la Fraser Fyvie...sideways and slows every attack down

Highland_Hibee
12-11-2016, 06:08 PM

Was going to add a comment to that effect at the end but thought why bother. Fyvie is the chosen one on here at the moment. Knock him at your own peril. Might as well go the whole hog Stevenson was sh*t today n'all. Near on every cross hit the first man. Shinnie was the only man available in space for a pass most of the time, especially from throw ins.

Famous Fiver
12-11-2016, 06:08 PM
Never hid. Kept going. My kind of player every day of the week.

hibee_girl
12-11-2016, 06:09 PM

I say this every week but most on here have him as MOTM

Thecat23
12-11-2016, 06:09 PM
McGinn I thought dug deep today and played ok but some of his passing was terrible. Better today than he been that's for sure.

Borderhibbie76
12-11-2016, 06:13 PM
Was going to add a comment to that effect at the end but thought why bother. Fyvie is the chosen one on here at the moment. Knock him at your own peril. Might as well go the whole hog Stevenson was sh*t today n'all. Near on every cross hit the first man. Shinnie was the only man available in space for a pass most of the time, especially from throw ins.

I don't get the Fyvie love in at all...far too defensive a player for the league we are in...he offers the square root of zero going forward. I like Lewis but agree we need a LB in Jan who can cross a ball...his ball was criminal today time and again

Highland_Hibee
12-11-2016, 06:17 PM
I don't get the Fyvie love in at all...far too defensive a player for the league we are in...he offers the square root of zero going forward. I like Lewis but agree we need a LB in Jan who can cross a ball...his ball was criminal today time and again

I like Lewy too but he just isn't a wingback. Fyvie was almost playing a sweeper role today. Fontaine was further up the pitch a lot of the time!

Jones28
12-11-2016, 06:17 PM
I've never seen so many poor successive corners, not just McGinn to blame for those though

Borderhibbie76
12-11-2016, 06:18 PM
I've never seen so many poor successive corners, not just McGinn to blame for those though
We sure miss Henderson to deliver

stoneyburn hibs
12-11-2016, 06:19 PM
McGinn had a decent game but frustratingly it was a few simple passes that he messed up.

lucky
12-11-2016, 06:21 PM

I'm assuming you weren't at the game and watched it on Hibs TV. SJM was very good today. He had a few misplaced passes when trying to split there back 8. We've been crying out for the midfielders to shoot more today he did that on several occasions bringing a couple of decent saves out of Rodgers

Frogga
12-11-2016, 06:23 PM
Very harsh to say McGinn had a bad game. He made a few sloppy errors but drove the team forward and provided a spark to our play.

California-Hibs
12-11-2016, 06:29 PM
I see we all have split opinions of him today. Again, I feel if you are able to re-watch the game on HibsTV you'll see far more than just 2 misplaced passes and shots.

I do agree however with a previous poster that him carrying an injury needs to be taken into consideration. He's definitely not quite the McGinn of last season, that's for sure.

Plenty time left in the season for that to change though

NadeAteMyLunch!
12-11-2016, 06:31 PM
McGinn was very good today bar two shocking passes that were intercepted and a couple of poor corners. He drove with the bar, had 4 or 5 very decent efforts from distance and set up the goal.

Pedantic_Hibee
12-11-2016, 06:40 PM
If we are blaming Fyvie and McGinn for today then we may as well give up. Two laddies who are CONSTANTLY demanding the ball. We need to look at our deliveries out wide first of all.

I like Stevenson and respect everything he's done and given to this club but as an attacking outlet he is absolutely hopeless.

emerald green
12-11-2016, 06:41 PM

:agree: Hibs 18 corners; Falkirk 1. Tells the story.

wookie70
12-11-2016, 06:46 PM
Thought McGinn was decent today and excellent in parts. Some poor passes but at least there is some drive and dynamism when he is involved. No idea why Shinnie stopped taking the corners as he put some great balls in during the first half

California-Hibs
12-11-2016, 06:55 PM
McGinn was very good today bar two shocking passes that were intercepted and a couple of poor corners. He drove with the bar, had 4 or 5 very decent efforts from distance and set up the goal.

2 shocking passes only? Re-watch the game. 4 or 5 'very decent' efforts from distance? Re-watch the game.

Maybe it's easier as im watching on tv and have the luxury of replays etc.

Each to their own though.

tamig
12-11-2016, 07:06 PM

I heard them praising him on the radio too and was a bit surprised. His running with the ball was great at times but he gave it away a lot today. His delivery from corners was also poor. Good to see him having a few pops at goal but he could and should have passed to team mates in a few of those situations.

Not his best today - but to be fair the boy has set his standards high.

tamig
12-11-2016, 07:09 PM
If we are blaming Fyvie and McGinn for today then we may as well give up. Two laddies who are CONSTANTLY demanding the ball. We need to look at our deliveries out wide first of all.

I like Stevenson and respect everything he's done and given to this club but as an attacking outlet he is absolutely hopeless.

Fyvie was my best player again today. Not sure why anyone could criticise him after his performance.

snooky
12-11-2016, 07:14 PM
MacGregor was my MOTM and Holt was my WMOTM.

hibs#1
12-11-2016, 07:17 PM

Yeah I was listening at my work and the guys on the radio were
raving about his passing

LaMotta
12-11-2016, 07:17 PM
2 shocking passes only? Re-watch the game. 4 or 5 'very decent' efforts from distance? Re-watch the game.

Maybe it's easier as im watching on tv and have the luxury of replays etc.

Each to their own though.

I was at the game and agree his passing was def not up to his usual standards. Lennon alluded to the frustrating side of McGinn in his interview after the game whilst recognising how brilliant a player he is in general.

Scouse Hibee
12-11-2016, 07:21 PM
Fyvie was my best player again today. Not sure why anyone could criticise him after his performance.

Because far too many people can't appreciate what he brings to the team. If you're not doing something spectacular some people can't see what you are doing. Amazes me that people who watch football regularly miss so much.

ancient hibee
12-11-2016, 07:32 PM
We would have stuggled to take anything out of the game without McGinn.He is the driving force.He's on the ball more than anyone else so he makes more mistakes than anyone else.Fyvie and he have a much better understanding now.Shinnie is coming onto a game but is a little half-hearted about putting his body on the line as is Harris.

john18722
12-11-2016, 07:51 PM

Agreed

Hermit Crab
12-11-2016, 07:54 PM

Best he's played in weeks today. Even better than Ayr last week.

O'Rourke3
12-11-2016, 07:54 PM
SJM was decent today. Got stuck in, didn't hide and hit a couple of crackers both well saved. Shinnie was better than he'd been and offered a lot going forward. Holt was hot and cold. In golfing terms his short game was off. Fyvie was excellent and unlucky not to score. McGregor got off with a high arm but was also excellent. Stevenson was let down completely today by his crossing and the occasional rocket aimed at him from a team mate.Squirrel had an off game but there was no space for him to run into. Baird and Hypolyte were bawbags but their no 5 Gasperado? was their MOM. John Beaton was awful as were the assistants.

1875STEVE
12-11-2016, 07:59 PM

Funny how opinions differ, I thought, apart from 2 or 3 bad passes, he was excellent.

Radio where raving about him, chick young reckons he should start for Scotland.

hibsbollah
12-11-2016, 08:00 PM
McGinn was very good today, He is charged with a lot of responsibility on the ball and without him we'd struggle to create. Yes he misplaced a few but def a 7/10 minimum.

My motm was Fontaine. Absolutely dominant with McGregor and a threat up front too.

King conrad
12-11-2016, 08:05 PM

actually thought he had a good game, yes he had some sloppy passes but over the 90 minutes the boy played well
as did the team but sometimes you don't get what you deserve in football.

northstandhibby
12-11-2016, 09:32 PM
Agreed a few misplaced passes but he was one of the best performers today...gray Stevenson and Boyle were poor I thought

My thoughts too. He was unlucky not to score.

B.H.F.C
12-11-2016, 09:38 PM
Positive thing with McGinn is that he seems to have realised its worthwhile actually having a shot at goal. Couple of wayward ones but forced the keeper in to a couple of good saves too. If he keeps doing that he'll start chipping in more often. A few others could take note as well.

buktadays
12-11-2016, 10:03 PM
Couldn't make it, but on the radio it sounded like he had a few from distance that we're headed for the top corner and forced some amazing stops from the keeper. Were they as close as it sounded??

hibee_girl
12-11-2016, 10:11 PM
Couldn't make it, but on the radio it sounded like he had a few from distance that we're headed for the top corner and forced some amazing stops from the keeper. Were they as close as it sounded??

There was one that was definitely heading into the goal but for a good save from the keeper, wouldn't say any of his others were going in but they weren't far off either.

J-C
12-11-2016, 10:21 PM
Weird how we can all differ, I thought he looked like he was getting back to the McGinn we all know and love, he misplaced about 3 passes, not bad for a whole game to misplace just 3 and at least he was having a go at shooting at goal, something we've all moaned about players not doing enough of.

Jones28
12-11-2016, 10:26 PM
I'm usually in the side of complementing good performances but after today i can't say that SJM played well. He was always looking for the ball which is one of his best qualities but the number corners he played in over entire box was madness.

tamig
12-11-2016, 11:13 PM
There was one that was definitely heading into the goal but for a good save from the keeper, wouldn't say any of his others were going in but they weren't far off either.

He had a rocket in the first half that brought out a good save and a free kick in the second half that was dipping in under the bar that Rogers tipped over. The rest were all a bit wayward.

Borderhibbie76
12-11-2016, 11:35 PM
Honestly can't believe Mcginn is being singled out for his performance on here and yet again Fyvie escapes criticism?? Offers nothing going forward and is constantly slowing down out attacks...am I the only one seeing this every week?? Sorry but if we play 3 at the back...no need for fyvie in that team imo we need a more attack minded midfielder in there

CallumLaidlaw
12-11-2016, 11:39 PM
Honestly can't believe Mcginn is being singled out for his performance on here and yet again Fyvie escapes criticism?? Offers nothing going forward and is constantly slowing down out attacks...am I the only one seeing this every week?? Sorry but if we play 3 at the back...no need for fyvie in that team imo we need a more attack minded midfielder in there

You might be. Fyvie one of the first names on the team sheet for me

Borderhibbie76
12-11-2016, 11:40 PM
You might be. Fyvie one of the first names on the team sheet for me

Baffled...I just don't see it mate. Can I ask why?? Don't u find it frustrating how he never shoots when on the edge of the box and slows play down everytime we are attacking??

ancient hibee
12-11-2016, 11:46 PM
Baffled...I just don't see it mate. Can I ask why?? Don't u find it frustrating how he never shoots when on the edge of the box and slows play down everytime we are attacking??

And yet he shot narrowly past the post from twenty odd yards today and was constantly keeping the ball moving.So I don't find him frustrating at all.

CallumLaidlaw
12-11-2016, 11:49 PM

I would disagree that he always slows play down. He's often the one taking the ball from the defenders and carrying it 20 yards or finding a pass. He controls the game and should be the player that allows the likes of mcginn and Shinnie to be more attacking. Yes he could shoot more but he did come close today.

Borderhibbie76
12-11-2016, 11:49 PM
And yet he shot narrowly past the post from twenty odd yards today and was constantly keeping the ball moving.So I don't find him frustrating at all.
Yes he did have 1 shot but really didn't want to shoot and was in a better position many times and chose not to shoot. I just don't think he offers us enough in an attacking sense when we r coming up against packed defences like today. Clearly something is wrong in the way we set up for home games and I think we need a much bigger goal threat from midfield

Borderhibbie76
12-11-2016, 11:52 PM
I would disagree that he always slows play down. He's often the one taking the ball from the defenders and carrying it 20 yards or finding a pass. He controls the game and should be the player that allows the likes of mcginn and Shinnie to be more attacking. Yes he could shoot more but he did come close today.

All about opinions mate... it's not that I don't like fyvie as a player I just need a greater attacking threat from our midfield in home games...as it's not working for us at ER at present that much is obvious. I do think Lennon will be looking for an attacking midfielder in January

IberianHibernian
13-11-2016, 12:07 AM
Thought McGinn was outstanding in the first half but not quite as effective in the second . Had a few good shots ( presumably Lennon has ordered midfielders to shoot more as Shinnie and Fyvie shot more than usual too ) . A few bad passes by McGInn but like Shinnie he makes mistakes cause he`s prepared to take responsibility . I thought there were some good passes to forwards today but Holt struggled after a good first half and like a few others seemed a bit lost after substitutions taking out his frustration on teammates like Harris who could have made more of an impact against a packed defence if team had known positions after changes . Boyle seemed to struggle to keep onside and didn`t really make any impact till he moved to left and Falkirk tired - great impact sub or to start against weaker teams in our division but against stronger teams has yet to make an impression . We`re certainly missing Keatings .

greenlex
13-11-2016, 12:37 AM
Nowt wrong with McGinns corners today. They went into good areas with pace by and large. Certainly second half. Shinnies on the other hand were floaters mainly overhit.

greiggy
13-11-2016, 12:44 AM
He has undoubted class. I think it was a small number of really bad passes direct to a Falkirk player later in the game that gave this impression. Maybe he was getting exhausted. One corner he took in particular where he had a hibs player and a Falkirk player each standing 15 yards from the corner flag about 10 yards apart and he seemed to pass directly to the Falkirk guy. He did much more right than wrong but the things he did wrong seemed really odd and out of character so they stuck out more than normal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

marleyhib
13-11-2016, 12:59 AM
Though his passing was bad today also guilty of holding onto the ball too long at times but he's class, passion, drive, drifts past players. Very lucky to have him, when it's not clicking he doesn't hide just tries harder, our best player by a stretch.

ekhibee
13-11-2016, 12:25 PM
I hate low corners, so often they're a complete waste of time and McGinn certainly hit one or 2 like that, but overall I thought he was an excellent role model for some of the other players with his output and attempts on goal. I've never really been a big fan of Stevenson, but I thought he worked his socks off yesterday, some of his crosses were poor but one or 2 were spot on too. Shinnie was another one who worked really hard yesterday and clearly has a lot of ability, the only thing against him, and it's just my opinion, is that for a relatively big strong laddie he seems a bit lightweight at times. Even though he probably wasn't man of the match, I rate Hanlon as an excellent centre half, so different from 2 or 3 years ago when I never really rated him at all and thought he was totally overrated on here. How wrong was I?

NAE NOOKIE
13-11-2016, 04:03 PM
Has to be said McGinn was responsible for 3 or 4 terrible passes yesterday and I'm pretty sure one of them lead to the corner where Falkirk scored. But having said that he was probably our best player as well, he drove the team forward time and again and tried and tried to make something happen, I'll settle for that every day of the week even at the expense of a few bad passes.

The corners though, the bloody corners ... far too many of them were hit to a place where if the last Hibs player at the far post didn't get to the ball it was going out of play .... I said it on another thread, but why oh why don't Hibs have a man lurking just outside the box at the far side from our corners, I've lost count of the number of times this season and time and again yesterday where Hibs have over hit corners and there has been nobody on the far side to at least try to win the ball back.

wookie70
13-11-2016, 04:17 PM
Nowt wrong with McGinns corners today. They went into good areas with pace by and large. Certainly second half. Shinnies on the other hand were floaters mainly overhit.
I thought the exact oppositie.Most of McGinns corners were very overhit. Shinnies corners corners were put into better areas

HappyAsHellas
13-11-2016, 04:20 PM
McGinn was good yesterday but there has to be a collective responsibility when it comes to taking corners. After one or two have been overhit it doesn't require a genius on the team to stand deep just in case. Why does no one signal before taking a corner? Not every team does but plenty still do. Before hitting the ball you raise one or two arms meaning you're aiming for the near or far post, which might give your team mates some notion of what you're trying to do. !8 corners yesterday and not one attempt on goal from any of them. How pathetic is that?

JimBHibees
14-11-2016, 03:24 PM
McGinn was good yesterday but there has to be a collective responsibility when it comes to taking corners. After one or two have been overhit it doesn't require a genius on the team to stand deep just in case. Why does no one signal before taking a corner? Not every team does but plenty still do. Before hitting the ball you raise one or two arms meaning you're aiming for the near or far post, which might give your team mates some notion of what you're trying to do. !8 corners yesterday and not one attempt on goal from any of them. How pathetic is that?

Or have a player in a position to retrieve an overhit corner.

southsider
14-11-2016, 03:31 PM
McGinn was very good today, He is charged with a lot of responsibility on the ball and without him we'd struggle to create. Yes he misplaced a few but def a 7/10 minimum.

My motm was Fontaine. Absolutely dominant with McGregor and a threat up front too.
How he missed that chance only he will know.

JimBHibees
14-11-2016, 03:45 PM
How he missed that chance only he will know.

Yep absolute sitter and not even close to scoring.