PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Shinnie and the Auld enemy

HarryLauder
10-11-2016, 02:32 PM
Hello lads and lassies,
I posted on here before the Birmingham friendly and had a mixed reception, as expected. I believe we embarrassed ourselves by teaming up with some huns at the match, dear oh dear. What can you do? Brexit has got a lot to answer for, lots of people feel free and justified to express their inner bigots, or so it would seem.

Never mind all that though, I'm not here to apologise for the Muppets and their Muppetry. As we're now well into the season, I just want to canvas some opinions on the boy Shinnie. Has he still got the lovely hair, to go along with his boyish good looks? Is he getting into the team, or just making up the numbers? The bloke has certainly got the skills and has a proper football brain and occasionally we got some cracking performances out of him. He knows where the goal is and his through balls were usually sublime. He was never going to make it here, just a bit too lightweight and slow for the rough and tumble of the championship.

Rowett never favoured him and only resorted to playing him if his options were limited. He doesnt even play the guy he bought to replace him with. Has your new manager found out what makes him tick and will you be putting in an offer?

Next question, can you lot please turn England over, just for me? I couldn't stand the thought of that chinless villa @#£% being awarded a contract and fat salary on a full-time basis. Just the thought is enough to send me over the edge.

We get a couple of hibee visitors, from time to time on our board. Hello to Newhaven and Nookie, a fine pair of gentlemen indeed. Enjoy Wembley, if you're going and I hope you can liven up the stiffs that seem to be attracted to our beautiful game, these days. Bawbags to the England Fan Club and their foam handed waving morons.

Good luck for the rest of the season and always keep right on.

Have a peep at our board here:
http://www.smallheathalliance.com/list.php?1
I can highly recommend the thread about the skinheads and the away fans on the Tilton Road End. I can tell by the pics on your banner that nostalgia is popular on here. Though it ain't what it used to be. :wink:
Altogether now, "Oh it's a long way to New St station, it's a long way back there"

1875STEVE
10-11-2016, 02:41 PM
First of all.

Shinnie gets his game, blew hot and cold to start with IMO, but has come on to a game these last few weeks.

I rate him, and always did when he was with ICT.

Craig_HFC
10-11-2016, 02:42 PM
You mean Andrew Shinniesta?

He's certainly got the ability but blows a bit hot & cold. He's scored 1 and set up a fair few goals in his short time here so far though.

I think he'll get better & better as the season goes on and I think he will be one of our most important players at the 'business end' of the season. If we get promoted; then I reckon we'll try & sign him permanently.

MWHIBBIES
10-11-2016, 02:46 PM
5 assists and 1 goal in 8 games I think. Had 1 very poor performance against St Mirren and a few average ones but he has been great in recent weeks.

Enough said
10-11-2016, 03:01 PM
Shinnie has been miles better since Boyle went up top. For me the balls he wants to play are for pacey striker hence the reason Cummings is out of favour and rightly so. Keep up the good work Boyle/shinnie

HarryLauder
10-11-2016, 03:37 PM
Steve, that's all they've got now. A few photos and memories. Not even the most successful team in the Midlands, a couple of blues helped Forest to win the big cup twice. I hope they cherished the moment, it's never gonna happen again, they really are flogging a dead horse now, bless ' em. My grandpa and uncle's have droned on about it for the last 35 years, so I am Teflon coated when it comes to that shower.

It was character building, growing up in the 80's round my way. It's been done to death and rings a little hollow, considering their recent glories. Mortimer got dogs abuse when he pulled on a blue shirt, believe me when I say the fury was well and truly vented.

They haven't been allowed into the city centre for the last 45 years, at least. So it's hard to hear them gloat from their watering holes in northern Birmingham. To this day they're scared to come into town and give it the big one, so much for the pride of the Midlands.

Good for Shinnie though, he was starting to have a wobble and sulk when Rowett wouldn't pick him. Glad to hear he's got his focus and determination back. Could he make the step up, if you get promoted?

Centre Hawf
10-11-2016, 03:42 PM
Your summary of him matches mine. Clear talent and good awareness but sometimes the physicality of the game can silence him. Started okay, went a bit cold when the team started to struggle as a whole, but as a few others have said he's looked a bit better the last few weeks and hopefully he can kick on.

1875STEVE
10-11-2016, 11:03 PM
Steve, that's all they've got now. A few photos and memories. Not even the most successful team in the Midlands, a couple of blues helped Forest to win the big cup twice. I hope they cherished the moment, it's never gonna happen again, they really are flogging a dead horse now, bless ' em. My grandpa and uncle's have droned on about it for the last 35 years, so I am Teflon coated when it comes to that shower.

It was character building, growing up in the 80's round my way. It's been done to death and rings a little hollow, considering their recent glories. Mortimer got dogs abuse when he pulled on a blue shirt, believe me when I say the fury was well and truly vented.

They haven't been allowed into the city centre for the last 45 years, at least. So it's hard to hear them gloat from their watering holes in northern Birmingham. To this day they're scared to come into town and give it the big one, so much for the pride of the Midlands.

Good for Shinnie though, he was starting to have a wobble and sulk when Rowett wouldn't pick him. Glad to hear he's got his focus and determination back. Could he make the step up, if you get promoted?

Yes, he done it before with Inverness and, i think, was capped at international level.

Im afraid Ive followed Villa since I was a kid. :na na:

HarryLauder
11-11-2016, 08:31 AM
Don't be afraid to carry on following them down the plughole, Steve. You'd do well to remember their glory years, if you're 37 years old. There is a team in Birmingham that's won a trophy, this millennium. It's never too late to change your allegiance, mate.

Shinnie strikes me as a player that would benefit from a prolonged run of games, to get the best out of him. His issues come down to confidence, he knows he can perform and needs a manager to back his ability. Otherwise, he will sulk it out. His bottom lip would drop if he had to play out wide and he used the homesick excuse when he got dropped by Rowett, rather than bite down and fight for his place. He was never going to endear himself with the supporters, with an attitude like that. He wouldn't be welcomed back here with open arms and if Lennon rejects him then his options are going to run out soon. He'd probably end up at somewhere like Rotherham again and I wouldn't even wish that on a DVB like you, Steve :na na:

When it comes to the Auld enemy, the silence on this thread is deafening. Iceland anybody? There's a weakness in the heart of my national team, surely you must have a glimmer of a chance to exploit their frail mentality? 15k of you at Wembley, get an early goal and watch England buckle under the strain. Southgate will melt into the dugout, he couldn't raise a smile, never mind a football team.

calumhibee1
11-11-2016, 08:35 AM
Don't be afraid to carry on following them down the plughole, Steve. You'd do well to remember their glory years, if you're 37 years old. There is a team in Birmingham that's won a trophy, this millennium. It's never too late to change your allegiance, mate.

Shinnie strikes me as a player that would benefit from a prolonged run of games, to get the best out of him. His issues come down to confidence, he knows he can perform and needs a manager to back his ability. Otherwise, he will sulk it out. His bottom lip would drop if he had to play out wide and he used the homesick excuse when he got dropped by Rowett, rather than bite down and fight for his place. He was never going to endear himself with the supporters, with an attitude like that. He wouldn't be welcomed back here with open arms and if Lennon rejects him then his options are going to run out soon. He'd probably end up at somewhere like Rotherham again and I wouldn't even wish that on a DVB like you, Steve :na na:

When it comes to the Auld enemy, the silence on this thread is deafening. Iceland anybody? There's a weakness in the heart of my national team, surely you must have a glimmer of a chance to exploit their frail mentality? 15k of you at Wembley, get an early goal and watch England buckle under the strain. Southgate will melt into the dugout, he couldn't raise a smile, never mind a football team.

With a manager that has claimed our 40 goal a season striker isnt suited to international football I'd suggest our chances of an early goal are limited.

HarryLauder
11-11-2016, 09:00 AM
That doesn't surprise me with Strachan at the helm. Forgive my ignorance, but who is the 40 goal man?

Craig_HFC
11-11-2016, 09:00 AM
That doesn't surprise me with Strachan at the helm. Forgive my ignorance, but who is the 40 goal man?

Leigh Griffiths

Keith_M
11-11-2016, 09:35 AM
You play at St Andrews, your theme song was sung by Harry Lauder and you play in blue and white.

Admit it, you lot are Scottish through and through

:wink:

HarryLauder
11-11-2016, 10:05 AM
We used to have a piper on the pitch, before the big games too. Alec Govan introduced our anthem to us, way back in the 50's.

A massive amount of our support shares Celtic origins (admit it, you're all massive blues fans) and all of our best players were either Welsh or Scottish.

You could argue that our most successful manager (Big Eck), was one of your own aswell.

I had a quick Google of Griffiths and he's not a Strachan type of player, he likes them tee total and in bed before 10pm. To have any chance of a result, he has to play him though.

You lot must've loved him when he was knocking in the goals down at Easter Rd. Rudi Skaecel is a refugee ha ha ha. What a nutter and he looks a bit like John Hartson, with that hairline.

jacomo
11-11-2016, 11:26 AM
We used to have a piper on the pitch, before the big games too. Alec Govan introduced our anthem to us, way back in the 50's.

A massive amount of our support shares Celtic origins (admit it, you're all massive blues fans) and all of our best players were either Welsh or Scottish.

You could argue that our most successful manager (Big Eck), was one of your own aswell.

I had a quick Google of Griffiths and he's not a Strachan type of player, he likes them tee total and in bed before 10pm. To have any chance of a result, he has to play him though.

You lot must've loved him when he was knocking in the goals down at Easter Rd. Rudi Skaecel is a refugee ha ha ha. What a nutter and he looks a bit like John Hartson, with that hairline.

Well well. You should rename yourselves Birmingham Hibernians, if you know your history :wink:

HarryLauder
11-11-2016, 02:12 PM
Yes jacamo, it's got a ring to it. I wouldn't object to that in the slightest. If you carry that idea forward a little then we could merge the two great clubs together.

If you think about it then seriously, for a second then it does make sense. We've been on the lookout for a feeder club recently and you lot would fit the bill perfectly. We can just carry on from previous dealings such as Murphs, ****ger O'Connor and Big Eck to name just a few.

Birmingham City Hibernian could work well. We could condense it down a little and stick with the Birmingham City and you lot can provide the Football Club, 1875. Now we're getting somewhere.

The Zulus can merge with the Hibs boys and they could terrorise the leagues together. Rotherham and Ross County wouldn't know what had hit them. Doncaster and Dunfermline would be quaking in their boots at the prospect.

Lennon and Rowett can do the coaching and we can coax Big Eck out of his slumber, as the director of football.

ACLeith
11-11-2016, 02:44 PM
Yes jacamo, it's got a ring to it. I wouldn't object to that in the slightest. If you carry that idea forward a little then we could merge the two great clubs together.

If you think about it then seriously, for a second then it does make sense. We've been on the lookout for a feeder club recently and you lot would fit the bill perfectly. We can just carry on from previous dealings such as Murphs, ****ger O'Connor and Big Eck to name just a few.

Birmingham City Hibernian could work well. We could condense it down a little and stick with the Birmingham City and you lot can provide the Football Club, 1875. Now we're getting somewhere.

The Zulus can merge with the Hibs boys and they could terrorise the leagues together. Rotherham and Ross County wouldn't know what had hit them. Doncaster and Dunfermline would be quaking in their boots at the prospect.

Lennon and Rowett can do the coaching and we can coax Big Eck out of his slumber, as the director of football.

Whatever you've been imbibing today, can I have some please 😀😀😀😀

jacomo
11-11-2016, 03:08 PM
Whatever you've been imbibing today, can I have some please 😀😀😀😀

I regret getting involved in this...

He should contact Hearts. They positively relish being a feeder club.

HarryLauder
11-11-2016, 03:56 PM
There would be a culture clash with hearts, the colours they wear makes it a total non starter, in my eyes.

Keep right on Leith, has got a lovely ring to it. We'll keep the ball and globe, as it was recently voted in the top 10 crests of world football. Chuck a harp on the top and that would have universal appeal.

We could make a bronze cast of Murph's left peg and have a statue put up outside the Tilton.

ACLeith, I haven't even had a sniff of the barmaid's apron yet. If England do the business then it will be Pimms and lemonade. If we come asunder, then I will hit the jellies and purple tin.

alnewhaven
11-11-2016, 09:16 PM
[QUOTE=HarryLauder;4856324]There would be a culture clash with hearts, the colours they wear makes it a total non starter, in my eyes.

\[QUOTE]

Quite right too. Read that one of the villa founders was a scot hence lion rampant badge. Colours chosen were maroon re hearts and light blue re the late unlamented Rangers. Might be mince but enough for me to want villa to lose!

HarryLauder
11-11-2016, 10:00 PM
That's a good enough reason for me. They're both the teams that stand for the establishment. Where as we're the teams for those that are a little bit more down to earth and don't look down from a lofty perch.

Take that away kit, for example, aside from making me think of tea with Auntie Doris, they should rename themselves Racing Club Battenberg of Midlothian and have done with it. If it wasn't so laughable, you might consider it a wee bit delusional too.

1875STEVE
13-11-2016, 12:57 PM

At least we have had some glory years, a couple of League Cup wins is about it for you lot.

Villa will be back where they belong soon. :na na:

As for Scotland, as you seen, we can't defend worth toffee. It's made worse when we had a couple of defenders out.

As someone else stated re Griffiths, he wouldn't play him against Malta, Lithuania & Slovakia, games where he is more likely to score goals, citing his height when DEFENDING corners as the problem......

Callum Paterson played the last few qualifiers, when it comes to England at Wembley, he drops him as he isn't read, and plays a winger, Anya, out of position instead.

Then plays him against England, on his own, at Wembley.

He also persists with Chris Martin and a fading Steven Fletcher, leaving Jordan Rhodes & Ross McCormack out the squad.

Baffling.

1875STEVE
13-11-2016, 12:59 PM

Boke. :rolleyes::wink:

Hibs a feeder club for the Midlands 5th biggest club??? Nah no thanks. :flag:

HarryLauder
10-12-2016, 06:46 AM
Hello Hibs, we've already won one convert. Newhaven Hibby has seen the light and is now a regular poster on our board. He hangs around there like a piece of left luggage. Can't one of youse come and claim him back?Has the boy Shinnie started pulling his weight yet? Now the transfer window is looming, we need every penny that we can muster. A cut price deal can be arranged, but Lennon is no mug. If all Shinnie cam do is flatter to deceive, then Lennon's not going to fork out for him. Hibs is his last chance to play for a proper club, in front of a decent crowd. He's got no chance with Rowett, so you'd think he might try to impress NL into opening the cheque book.Newhaven came onto our board boasting about your support up at Dundee. 4k on a Friday night is brilliant support, whatever league you're in. It would be nice if a few of your rivals could return the favour and fill your away end too. If teams only bring a few hundred then do you still give them the whole stand? Can't you just give them the one tier, or shove em in the corner and open the rest up to your own supporters?Our season is quickly running out of steam, we are going to so our traditional new year flounder, I can feel it in my bones. The only remedy is a couple of fresh faces and we need the funds to get them in. One good turn deserves another, so if you can raise the cash and take the boy Andrew on full-time then the next round is on me. Who'll be joining me at the bar for a pint o' heavy?

Oscar T Grouch
10-12-2016, 07:06 AM
'Fraid you'll no see us paying a fee for Shinnie. Not because he's not worth it but the financial situation up in Scotland is dire. Man Itd got more money for one game in the Europa league than the whole of Scottish football receives for a years worth of TV coverage and celtc gets a huge chunk of that. Our gate receipts are our main income so fees are rarely paid. Happy for Brum city to release him for us to sign? It'd free up a wage at least.

high bee
10-12-2016, 07:10 AM
Hello Hibs, we've already won one convert. Newhaven Hibby has seen the light and is now a regular poster on our board. He hangs around there like a piece of left luggage. Can't one of youse come and claim him back?Has the boy Shinnie started pulling his weight yet? Now the transfer window is looming, we need every penny that we can muster. A cut price deal can be arranged, but Lennon is no mug. If all Shinnie cam do is flatter to deceive, then Lennon's not going to fork out for him. Hibs is his last chance to play for a proper club, in front of a decent crowd. He's got no chance with Rowett, so you'd think he might try to impress NL into opening the cheque book.Newhaven came onto our board boasting about your support up at Dundee. 4k on a Friday night is brilliant support, whatever league you're in. It would be nice if a few of your rivals could return the favour and fill your away end too. If teams only bring a few hundred then do you still give them the whole stand? Can't you just give them the one tier, or shove em in the corner and open the rest up to your own supporters?Our season is quickly running out of steam, we are going to so our traditional new year flounder, I can feel it in my bones. The only remedy is a couple of fresh faces and we need the funds to get them in. One good turn deserves another, so if you can raise the cash and take the boy Andrew on full-time then the next round is on me. Who'll be joining me at the bar for a pint o' heavy?

I hope you don't run out of steam too long, I've backed you at 8/1 today. I would like to see Shinnie here on a permanent deal but there's no way we would pay anything for him during the January window when he's on loan til the ends of the season and we need every penny to strengthen the squad.

exeterhibby
10-12-2016, 09:48 AM
Hi Harry......I know Newhaven very well but I'm afraid you are stuck with him. Think he is homesick for Brum . You do know he spent every other Saturday on the Holte in his younger days? :na na:

As regards Shinnie, the jury is still out, some games he shows his class but others he doesn't get involved at all. It might help if he changed the studs in his boots as he sometimes spends the whole game falling over......memories of Colin Nish! We won't have the money to buy him just yet so I'm afraid you'll have to wait for your pint of heavy.

The Gorf
10-12-2016, 12:04 PM
That's a good enough reason for me. They're both the teams that stand for the establishment. Where as we're the teams for those that are a little bit more down to earth and don't look down from a lofty perch.

Take that away kit, for example, aside from making me think of tea with Auntie Doris, they should rename themselves Racing Club Battenberg of Midlothian and have done with it. If it wasn't so laughable, you might consider it a wee bit delusional too.

Love yer banter pal. It's quite refreshing and a change from the "handbags at dawn" on this forum.

HarryLauder
10-12-2016, 12:14 PM
Exeter, If you're still scarred by memories of Nish, then I'll have a wee dram waiting at the bar, just for you.That boy fae Newhaven is an enigma. He came on there as bold as brass, eulogising over that lot from over the expressway. Waxing lyrical about watching them play Inter blah blah. Very basic trolling fayre... He has picked up the monicker of Newhaven Villa. If we are stuck with him then so be it, he is now our latest pet DVB. The last mongrel in Battersea dogs home would be an apt description.Though he soon changed his tune, his outlandish claims are scraping the barrel of integrity by saying that he went down to the 4 sheds one week and came to St Andrews the next. That he married into a blues family and changed his ways. I think the lady doth protest too much, but it's his fantasy and so be it. They might well call him Shinniesta, but he's not gonna win many medals or even influence the odd game with his back side on the grass. I know he's on loan till May, but this is a festive offer for the season of goodwill. Take him now and you can also have a free blues flag, signed by Grounds and Donaldo. Along with my generous offer to stand a round, I expect Lennon to be on the phone next week. High Bee, let me tell you a little secret. Never back blues with your hard earned. Those long odds are set to lure in the cynical blues fans who've been regularly kicked in the groin. The wise thing to do is to bet against them and when they let you down again, at least there's a little beer money to help provide a little solace. 8-1, was that to win today,or get promoted? That bookie's face must light up when he sees you coming.Vince, if you want to trade tales of financial dire straits, a blues fan is your best option. We are in a little slump right now, but there's always the hope that it might change one day. I quite enjoy the bargains and youth team prospects battling it out for the first team. What we can't afford are any luxury players like young Andrew. If they like the big salary but don't like to bleed for the team then they soon get the attention of the boo boys. Can't you sell some more half season tickets or flog the cup winners horse a bit more, check down the back of the settee. Anything to raise a few quid? We're not talking a million pound transfer here. There's also a whiskey waiting with your name on it, if you can come up with the readies.

exeterhibby
10-12-2016, 05:33 PM
Poor game today Harry but one player to stand out for us was Shinnie.......and it looks like he has sorted his studs out as he stayed upright for most of the game. I still doubt we will raid the piggybank just yet for him. He will stay on loan whilst we look to spend the money in other areas where we are lacking.