You couldn't lace his boots ya welt.

Diclonius
09-11-2016, 06:47 PM
Charlie Adam: 3-2

Jack Hackett
09-11-2016, 06:48 PM
http://www.scotzine.com/2016/11/my-face-doesnt-fit-fumes-exiled-adam/

You couldn't lace his boots ya welt.

“I am not saying I am the best player for Scotland"......Should have stopped yakking right there Charlie.

Jones28
09-11-2016, 06:48 PM
Well SJM plays in the championship unless I'm very much mistaken

HibsNutter
09-11-2016, 06:53 PM
Charlie Adam is the Alan Hutton of Scottish Midfielders, glad he's been frozen out. No progress will be made with guys like him who's best years are past them.

Jonnyboy
09-11-2016, 06:54 PM
Charlie .... that's yer dentist on the phone :foot:

rossevenil
09-11-2016, 07:01 PM
Yeah can understand Charlie Adams point,i mean you want your best players giving it everything for the 90 minutes and SJM just aint as good at that as Charlie is......oh by the way who is the no 10 at 1.38 in the video??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=186hb76pbJc

MWHIBBIES
09-11-2016, 07:12 PM
He is right IMO. He is better than McGinn who hasn't even been our best Scottish midfielder this season.

oneone73
09-11-2016, 07:16 PM
Charlie Adam, for those who didn't know, isn't a Hun. He's a Dundee fan.

Franck Stanton
09-11-2016, 07:20 PM
Bitter wee man. take it you went for a pee when brains were handed out. Muppet.

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-11-2016, 07:22 PM
But aside from us personalising the issue with SJM he does have a point about WGS and some of his squad choices .

northstandhibby
09-11-2016, 07:26 PM
Charlie Adam's yesterday's man.

SJM is Scotland's future and of course should be involved at least in Scotland's squads.

:bye: Bye Charlie.

Big L
09-11-2016, 07:26 PM
You have to think that any Scot playing regularly in the Eng Prem should walk in to the Scot's squad if not team. Why are guys like Morrison an Whittaker not playing? Why are we playing the guy Martin, he couldnae score in a brothel wi a £50 not hanging of his ass! I actually think Strach's made an arse of it, time to go.

Bostonhibby
09-11-2016, 07:29 PM
Unprofessional player who could have done so much more if he could have stayed out the chippies. Just about hun style envy now.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

superfurryhibby
09-11-2016, 07:29 PM
He is right IMO. He is better than McGinn who hasn't even our best Scottish midfielder this season.

Your right, at the present time, about both. Adam has sustained a career in the EPL for a good few years, if Mc Ginn manages that, he'll have had a fine career.

Gordy M
09-11-2016, 07:33 PM
You have to think that any Scot playing regularly in the Eng Prem should walk in to the Scot's squad if not team. Why are guys like Morrison an Whittaker not playing? Why are we playing the guy Martin, he couldnae score in a brothel wi a £50 not hanging of his ass! I actually think Strach's made an arse of it, time to go.

Thing is....think the weekend past was adams first 90 mins of the season.

jonny
09-11-2016, 07:37 PM
But aside from us personalising the issue with SJM he does have a point about WGS and some of his squad choices .

Have to agree. I realise we all have our individual opinions about who should be in the Scotland squad but I find some of his squad/team selections rather odd.
Adam also made comments publicly about the re-admission of Scott Brown to the squad.
I'm detecting some sources grapes on his part.
Overall, whilst his comments are petulant and childish at least they show he's hurting about being omitted and that he cares about playing for Scotland.

bigwheel
09-11-2016, 07:37 PM
Your right, at the present time, about both. Adam has sustained a career in the EPL for a good few years, if Mc Ginn manages that, he'll have had a fine career.

agreed, lets be honest...does anyone think SJM will play 150+ EPL games?? i don't hope I'm wrong....

The Spaceman
09-11-2016, 07:43 PM
Scotland need to play young players and get them up to speed with international football rather than using overweight nobodies at the twilight of their careers such as Charlie Adam. Build for the future rather than persisting with the ever-failing present.

Its harder for creative types in leagues like the Scottish Championship, getting 2-3 players man-marking/clattering them every game. Joey Barton came here and has done ****** all in the games he's played despite being a key player for Burnley last year.

McGinn had a MOTM performance in his first Scotland game against Denmark, probably better than Charlie Adam has ever played for us!

ancient hibee
09-11-2016, 07:47 PM
Tell me you're not really saying that the Scottish Championship is harder for creative players than the English Premiership?

Bostonhibby
09-11-2016, 07:48 PM
He is right IMO. He is better than McGinn who hasn't even been our best Scottish midfielder this season.
No problem accepting that as a comparison between the two but why have a gripe now? He was a young Scottish player coming through himself once.

Is his recent form enough to give him what he wants? Would that be progress?

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

superfurryhibby
09-11-2016, 07:54 PM
2nd start+subs.

For an overweight nobody Adam has accumulated over 18 million in transfer fees, started 177 EPl games with 33 league goals.

Green tinted specs are understandable, but some folk need to take a wee reality check.

Personally, I'm surprised McGinn has become a regular in the Scotland squad given that he hasn't been in his own top form for the past six months. The odd good game, but he needs to develop more variety to his game and score more goals. He's an important player for us, but at the moment it's a wee bit typical of Strachan's idiosyncratic approach that he is in the squad at all.

Stax
09-11-2016, 07:56 PM
Against England on Friday our chances are going to be limited to say the least. Set pieces are probably our best hope of getting a result. Charlie Adam may look like he enjoys a piece more than the next man but there's not too many with as good a left foot in a league that lets face it is better than the Scottish Championship. I don't like the way he's been going on in the media with the game coming up but it's hard to argue with some of his points. Saying that HE's no better than Zidane..

Tyler Durden
09-11-2016, 08:02 PM

I'm not defending Strachan but he's made it pretty clear that he prefers a more physical number 9. That's often then a choice between Martin or Fletcher. Personally don't see why we shouldn't play Griffiths on his own or with one of them.

One thing that annoys me is the whining from some fans on "Why isn't Ross McCormack or Jordan Rhodes in?" Well neither are better than Griffiths so why include them?

Chris Martin has twice as many goals in the same division as McCormack this year anyway. And a fairly comparable record to McCormack in the past 3 seasons.

Treadstone
09-11-2016, 08:02 PM
2nd start+subs.

For an overweight nobody Adam has accumulated over 18 million in transfer fees, started 177 EPl games with 33 league goals.

Green tinted specs are understandable, but some folk need to take a wee reality check.

Personally, I'm surprised McGinn has become a regular in the Scotland squad given that he hasn't been in his own top form for the past six months. The odd good game, but he needs to develop more variety to his game and score more goals. He's an important player for us, but at the moment it's a wee bit typical of Strachan's idiosyncratic approach that he is in the squad at all.

Hard to disagree. However the cowardly attack on McGinn is unhelpful and unnecessary. Would like to see the Adam reaction to being singled out not even by name but circumstances by a senior pro as he made his way in the game.

Unprofessional

Tyler Durden
09-11-2016, 08:08 PM
Have to agree. I realise we all have our individual opinions about who should be in the Scotland squad but I find some of his squad/team selections rather odd.
Adam also made comments publicly about the re-admission of Scott Brown to the squad.
I'm detecting some sources grapes on his part.
Overall, whilst his comments are petulant and childish at least they show he's hurting about being omitted and that he cares about playing for Scotland.

Adam said as much himself that some of Strachans recent calls have been bizarre. Starting Burke against Lithuania and then not making the 18 for Slovakia for starters.

His other moan is that Strachan left him out after telling him there was no point him sitting on the bench for a friendly. Adam says he would be happy to be in the squad and fight for his place.

He needs to read between the lines. It's pretty obvious Strachan doesn't trust him and lots of Scotland fans wouldn't forgive him for his performance against Wales a few years back.

I think Adam is right that on quality he should be in the squad, Stoke often use him effectively as an impact sub. But will a new manager or the rest of the squad welcome him back after these unnecessary public comments??? Doubt it

superfurryhibby
09-11-2016, 08:38 PM
Hard to disagree. However the cowardly attack on McGinn is unhelpful and unnecessary. Would like to see the Adam reaction to being singled out not even by name but circumstances by a senior pro as he made his way in the game.

Unprofessional

Cowardly? A tad over the top. He expresses frustration at not being given a chance and highlights the disparity between the respective leagues. A bit unprofessional probably, but he's in game where you should be judged on ability and it can be a fine line between making your point and toeing the line like a good boy. I don't think he intended any disrespect on SJM.

I suspect McGinn has every confidence in his own abilities and that Strachan will have made his own belief in him very clear. I doubt very much that SJM will give much thought to Adam's comments.

Cowardly will be Strachan if we get beat and he doesn't do the decent thing and GTF.

Marco G
09-11-2016, 08:46 PM

Unprofessional
Agree 100%. John McGinn has the potential to be a key Scotland player and he is in the squad on merit. Dont care what league you play in, and how big a cheese you think you are, but slagging off other players selected instead of you shows lack of class. Fwiw I think Adam had a better career than I expected when I first saw him playing. However he is now lucky to get on as a sub and imho John McGinn even takes a better free kick than he does, which is his main contribution now!

monktonharp
09-11-2016, 08:56 PM
Yeah can understand Charlie Adams point,i mean you want your best players giving it everything for the 90 minutes and SJM just aint as good at that as Charlie is......oh by the way who is the no 10 at 1.38 in the video??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=186hb76pbJca proper Charlie!

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
09-11-2016, 09:18 PM
2nd start+subs.

Totally agree, and have said before i cant believe he is in the scotland squad.

As somebody else said above, he is not even Hibs best scottish midfield player.

Adam should be in before mcginn

Mango Man
09-11-2016, 09:32 PM
Charlie Adam's yesterday's man.

SJM is Scotland's future and of course should be involved at least in Scotland's squads.

:bye: Bye Charlie.

Spot on.

Boyle89
09-11-2016, 09:35 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=186hb76pbJc

I slated him for ages for that. Lazy b......

Hiber-nation
09-11-2016, 10:07 PM
2nd start+subs.

Spot on :agree:

Michael
09-11-2016, 10:16 PM
I can't remember Adam doing much in a Scotland shirt. I would certainly prefer up and coming players in the squad rather than the same crop of donkeys that have failed to qualify many times over.

givescotlandfreedom
09-11-2016, 11:22 PM
All very well him making this point but he didn't say anything when Potter was selecting league two sevco trash like Ian Black.

Highland_Hibee
10-11-2016, 12:37 AM
Fair play to Charlie he made more of a career for himself than most once they leave the safety of Scotland. I am still bewildered however that the lump made it as far as Liverpool. Don't care what he has to say, he did bugger all for us in a Scotland shirt. If someone like McFadden or hell even Barry the crab came out with the same comments I may take a little more notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dashing Bob S
10-11-2016, 03:02 AM
Talented player who made a surprisingly good career for himself in England. If he had an extra yard of pace, he would have teetered on the brink of top class for a few seasons.

However, there's nothing sadder than a toothless old mutt way past him best, dribbling and incontinent, and trying to feebly growl at the emergent young pups.

Have some dignity Charlie, you are embarrassing yourself, my friend.

lucky
10-11-2016, 06:18 AM
If SJM was still at St Mirren playing like he has this season for us I doubt the posts on this thread would be the same. CA is playing at a far higher level than SJM and is a very good player with ball at his feet. However GS wants all his players to run and run so CA does not get quoted. I'd have all the players that we can from the EPL in the squad and some of the best youngsters to give them experience

SonOfDavidFrancey
10-11-2016, 06:37 AM
Yes we are way too touchy... I don't agree with him but his point is valid about playing at the highest level

Just Jimmy
10-11-2016, 07:13 AM
Until last weekend Charlie adam had played 40 mins of football. He's capable of something brilliant but he doesn't work hard enough. He also was at fault for the Bale goals against Wales. Strachan has nailed his colours. He wants grafters.

Anyway. Imagine claiming by default you were better than Zidane! What an ego. 😉

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

calumhibee1
10-11-2016, 07:29 AM
If SJM was still at St Mirren playing like he has this season for us I doubt the posts on this thread would be the same. CA is playing at a far higher level than SJM and is a very good player with ball at his feet. However GS wants all his players to run and run so CA does not get quoted. I'd have all the players that we can from the EPL in the squad and some of the best youngsters to give them experience

That's exactly what I said earlier. Obviously there would be exceptions to the rule, but I'd say if you're playing regularly in the Premiership in England i.e Phil Bardsley, Charlie Adam and Matt Phillips, you should be in the squad pretty much on default. You have to be better than people like Barry Bannan, Anya, Paterson and as much as I hate to say it, McGinn. This idea that you have to run and run and run to be in Strachans squad is why we're so pish. It's like we're setting up for a totally different sport with that mentality.

calumhibee1
10-11-2016, 07:35 AM
Charlie Adam is the Alan Hutton of Scottish Midfielders, glad he's been frozen out. No progress will be made with guys like him who's best years are past them.

Best years past him or not, no progress will be made by leaving Premiership players out an already poor squad in favour of Championship ones.

blackpoolhibs
10-11-2016, 07:56 AM
Charlie Adams is a dick, i walked past him the other day in town where he still has a house. He's always had a high opinion of himself, which is no bad thing.

Yet what he fails to see in all this, is SJM did not pick himself for this squad, Adams gripe is with the manager, and nobody else.

Slating the leagues or the players who are in the squad before him is just sour grapes, and does him no favours at all.

FWIW Adams did have a period at Blackpool where he really was the up there as the best passer of a ball in England, but they built their team around that with grafters who would make up for his lack of mobility.

Scotland may be able to do the same around him, but he really is not that player anymore, and players who perhaps are not as good as he WAS have overtaken him in the pecking order.

We dont need Charlie Adams, we have enough problems now, and a fat slow Stoke City substitute is hardly going to rectify that.

--------
10-11-2016, 09:01 AM
Charlie Adams is a dick, i walked past him the other day in town where he still has a house. He's always had a high opinion of himself, which is no bad thing.

Yet what he fails to see in all this, is SJM did not pick himself for this squad, Adams gripe is with the manager, and nobody else.

Slating the leagues or the players who are in the squad before him is just sour grapes, and does him no favours at all.

FWIW Adams did have a period at Blackpool where he really was the up there as the best passer of a ball in England, but they built their team around that with grafters who would make up for his lack of mobility.

Scotland may be able to do the same around him, but he really is not that player anymore, and players who perhaps are not as good as he WAS have overtaken him in the pecking order.

We don't need Charlie Adams, we have enough problems now, and a fat slow Stoke City substitute is hardly going to rectify that.

Yup. He's only 30, but he hasn't the pace or the engine for 90 minutes international football any more (if he ever did, TBH). That shows in the way Hughes has used him this season.

That said, I think Strachan needs to look at his own selection criteria. He doesn't have enough players to pick and choose, and omitting players who regularly start games in the EPL doesn't seem to me to be the best way to go about things.

Tell the truth, I can find no enthusiasm within me to watch the game tomorrow night. Scotland play England, and totally underwhelmed. Who'd ever have thought it?

Smartie
10-11-2016, 09:19 AM
I've always quite like Adam as a player. He plays that deep "quarterback" position really well. As long as you have runners around him, I think he can be effective and certainly could be against England.

I don't think these comments will have done him any favours though - criticising the manager and fellow players isn't exactly going to change anybody's mind about anything.

I find it peculiar that SJM gets picked. Not that he's a bad player - not by a long shot but the Championship is miles away from the level of football that an Internationalist needs to be playing at. And it isn't like he's playing at his best lately. He has looked the part when he's had game time though.

As a general rule I think you should be selecting the players who are playing at the highest level, but that's not to say that a player playing out his skin at a lower level should be ignored.

JDHibs
10-11-2016, 09:27 AM
Adam needs to remember it wasnt McGinn who chose himself. Slightly unprofessional to specify 1 player like that.

But IMO he is correct in what he says, Fyvie has outshone McGinn this season for us yet has never been mentioned for the Scotland squad. Fyvie has been both our best and most consistent midfielder this season.

Im all for blooding the youngsters into the national set up, we need to do it more often, but Adam can offer that something different, has a tremendous left foot thats got him where he is today, a decent Premiership player and a decent mid table team, millions of pounds in transfer fees and a goal every 6 games in a top league. Id rather have him there than say Bannan, or D.Fletcher.

Easy for people to sit behind their keyboard and say hes lazy, people said it about Berbatov aswell, yet both of them have had good careers by being lazy because they have technical ability.

People with green tinted glasses shouldnt comment. If we are ever going to qualify for a tournament again, we need to play our BEST players when we can.

Highland_Hibee
10-11-2016, 09:44 AM
Adam needs to remember it wasnt McGinn who chose himself. Slightly unprofessional to specify 1 player like that.

But IMO he is correct in what he says, Fyvie has outshone McGinn this season for us yet has never been mentioned for the Scotland squad. Fyvie has been both our best and most consistent midfielder this season.

Im all for blooding the youngsters into the national set up, we need to do it more often, but Adam can offer that something different, has a tremendous left foot thats got him where he is today, a decent Premiership player and a decent mid table team, millions of pounds in transfer fees and a goal every 6 games in a top league. Id rather have him there than say Bannan, or D.Fletcher.

Easy for people to sit behind their keyboard and say hes lazy, people said it about Berbatov aswell, yet both of them have had good careers by being lazy because they have technical ability.

People with green tinted glasses shouldnt comment. If we are ever going to qualify for a tournament again, we need to play our BEST players when we can.

It doesn't takes green tinted specs to say that SJM has had one start one MotM for Scotland. Adam has played like we are a man down for the majority of his Scotland chances.

Sorry Charlie respect for carving out a career down south but no respect for your Scotland performances or your opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreenNWhiteArmy
10-11-2016, 09:52 AM
Great timing to come out with this Charlie - tbh i think the English media set him up here. Get a player not in the squad and ask what is going on to unsettle the opponents. On the other hand tho, hopefully England squad are now thinking "well if Charlie Adam cant get in the squad they must be pretty guff" and under-estimate us

There was a time when Charlie Adam went straight in to the centre mid with Scott Brown and Darren Fletcher. That time has passed and to be honest i'm more concerned that Scott Arfield chose to represent Canada because Strachan continually ignored him.

Everybody talks about having players from the prem in the squad and playing cause we need players playing at the hihgest level. Is Wales and Norn Iron not a shining example that you can have players playing at a poorer level but as long as you work for each other and know your role then you can perform? We still have a GK, 2 centre mids and a left back (currently injured) playing in the prem and further players playing at the top end of the championship and will be promoted this season

Regarding SJM - he has 2 caps. 1 start where he was MOTM and 1 sub appearance against Slovakia where for the 10 mins he was on the park he was our best performing midfielder so quite rightly, Strachan feels he can trust him more than a player that effectively lost us a qualifier away to wales simply by not doing his job.

At some point we have to build a squad for the future, and like it or not Charlie, players like Paterson, Tierney, Mckay and Mcginn are part of that. I dont agree with all of Strachan's calls but not including Adam is one he has got right IMO

jacomo
10-11-2016, 09:56 AM

:agree:

Obviously SJM has a promising future ahead, but I struggle to understand how Adam is not involved in the Scotland team. Are we that good we can do without someone of his experience??

Mind you, he also says Barry Bannan is 'technically gifted'. I must be missing something.

J-C
10-11-2016, 10:33 AM

Obviously SJM has a promising future ahead, but I struggle to understand how Adam is not involved in the Scotland team. Are we that good we can do without someone of his experience??

Mind you, he also says Barry Bannan is 'technically gifted'. I must be missing something.

Talking on sportsound the other night, they were saying Strachan likes his midfielders to be all energy like Brown,McArthur and Morrison.

matty_f
10-11-2016, 11:56 AM
In all honesty, and hopefully with green tinted glasses taken off, I'd rather have McGinn in the Hibs midfield than Adam. McGinn has a fantastic future ahead of him, he's a terrific player IMHO. By far and away the most astute signing the club have made since Mowbray's time at the club, IMHO.

Strachan should see this boy as the future of his Scotland squad and be giving him as much game time and experience at that level as possible. I'd say the same for Tierney at Celtc, and even son of Rolf at the Yams. Do what Wales did, start that team building now and we might just get somewhere with them.

Adam has had his time.

HibernianJK
10-11-2016, 11:59 AM
Talented player who made a surprisingly good career for himself in England. If he had an extra yard of pace, he would have teetered on the brink of top class for a few seasons.

However, there's nothing sadder than a toothless old mutt way past him best, dribbling and incontinent, and trying to feebly growl at the emergent young pups.

Have some dignity Charlie, you are embarrassing yourself, my friend.

Way past his best? He's now starting for a Stoke team on the up and standing out at 30. Not way past his best by any stretch.

heretoday
10-11-2016, 12:36 PM
Way past his best? He's now starting for a Stoke team on the up and standing out at 30. Not way past his best by any stretch.

I agree. He is still a skilled player. Scored an amazing goal last season.

Of course I wouldn't want him in the house.

Tyler Durden
10-11-2016, 01:38 PM
That's exactly what I said earlier. Obviously there would be exceptions to the rule, but I'd say if you're playing regularly in the Premiership in England i.e Phil Bardsley, Charlie Adam and Matt Phillips, you should be in the squad pretty much on default. You have to be better than people like Barry Bannan, Anya, Paterson and as much as I hate to say it, McGinn. This idea that you have to run and run and run to be in Strachans squad is why we're so pish. It's like we're setting up for a totally different sport with that mentality.

Given Strachan regularly picks Darren Fletcher, Matt Ritchie and Snodgrass, I don't think he does go for players based on who can run and run.

However that wouldn't be a strange criteria these days. The teams at the top end of most leagues are generally those covering the most ground during the game. Look at Liverpool and Spurs for example.

Our total lack of pace means that Anya should be a certain starter IMO, along with Griffiths. We need opposition defences to have some fear that we can get in behind.

lyonhibs
10-11-2016, 01:40 PM

Barry Bannan had one of the poorest games I've ever seen a midfielder have (and I include Jarkko Wiss in that statement) in Bratlislava (not that he was alone there, Snodgrass on the left wing OH YE GODS!!)

Charlie Adam is a buck toothed Hun prick but he's a great passer of a footballer and thus obviously doesn't fit into Strachan's ethos. Whatever that ethos is.

The_Exile
10-11-2016, 01:52 PM
Didn't Craig Bellamy have a go at Charlie Adam for his "lifestyle" away from the pitch? It was an absolute rasper of a bit in his book if I remember correctly? That'll be why he's not in the squad, we're trying to change the whole mentality of the squad at the moment it would seem, about time.

Edit: found it, class :greengrin

Craig Bellamy on... Charlie Adam

3 June 2013 23:00

In today's final extract from his new book, Craig Bellamy tells of how he was alarmed at the beginning of his new adventure at Liverpool when he saw Charlie Adam in training for the first time.

I met Charlie a couple of times before pre-season training began, and he seemed a nice lad.

He wasn't the brightest but then footballers rarely are. I consider myself to be among the cleverer footballers around.

Charlie is a true Scot, and he loves his beer. It's all he ever talked about at the start, having had a brutal close season with a series of lads holidays abroad.

Charlie wasn't a shy lad and told the squad all about his escapades, including vomiting into the swimming pool at 2pm one afternoon.

He was a fat ******* too, Charlie, and he could eat for Scotland.

Some of the lads called him 'Rab', after the TV comedy character Rab C Nesbitt.

The first day at training and Charlie had a 'mare. He couldn't control the ball to save his life, couldn't get his breath and kept falling over while trying to run with the ball.

Players are always judging others, never more so than on the first day - first impressions count and though some of the lads found it hilarious, most were not impressed.

"Who's this ****?", one respected player said to me.

"I can't believe we've signed this useless ****", said another.

While one of the club's iconic players said to me, "I'd played against him last season and I knew he was *****, you're gonna need to step it up this season, Craig - cos this ****'s ****."

Charlie didn't have the best of seasons and he was sold on to Stoke. I wish him well.

Iggy Pope
10-11-2016, 02:09 PM
Charlie Adam. Good grief.
Question for his admirers on here - what if those English giants, Stoke City, were to 'swoop' on lowly championship side Hibs in January and take John McGinn south with that fat **** coming up here as a makeweight in the deal? (No pun).

Away and dinnae be daft.

Iggy Pope
10-11-2016, 02:12 PM
Charlie Adam, for those who didn't know, isn't a Hun. He's a Dundee fan.

Just makes him slightly less of a welt, but not less of a fat workshy gob*****.

Lancs Harp
10-11-2016, 02:13 PM
As a Blackpool lad I'll defend Charlie. He was superb for Blackpool in the rise to the Premier league. As Blackpoolhibs says the team was set up around him with the likes of David Vaughan and Keith Southern doing the "donkey" work. He played that sort of quarter back role and did it vry well. He is still very highly though of in these parts and couldnt have been doing too badly for a club like Liverpool to come knocking at the door.

The achilles heel to his game was always lack of speed. Super John isnt the quickest either and that, for me is what will prevent John from getting to the pinnacle of the game. He's good but how good Im no too sure yet. For what its worth I think they are both worth a place in the Scotland squad right now. John is possibly the future, as for Charlie, well I presume Strachan will have a team of fighters on the park against England, probably sit deep and attempt to make the most of set pieces, it would help if someone could deliver a set peice and Charlie can undoubtedly do that.

Big L
10-11-2016, 05:18 PM
I appreciate McGinn and I'm delighted he plays for us, but he shouldn't be keeping out players who play in the EPL. Strachan is likely to resign after this game and I doubt very much if the next manager will choose McGinn!

Unseen work
10-11-2016, 05:35 PM
I would have no problem with charlie Adam, probably the best Scottish player at passing, being in the squad.

But not ahead of McGinn.

Instead replace

Chris Martin
Russel Martin
Darren Fletcher

For

Graeme shinnie
Stuart Armstrong
Charlie Adam

IanFaeClerrie
10-11-2016, 06:24 PM
Agree. Until recently McGinn had not played well since January

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

ALF TUPPER
10-11-2016, 09:18 PM
Don't remember Charlie Adam greetin' about not getting
picked for the squad going to Malta in September.

Fancy a wee game in a high profile fixture do
You Charlie?

Get lost ya plank

FitbaFolkKen
11-11-2016, 03:27 AM
I haven't been through the whole thread but my view is that Strachan doesn't see Adam as part of his current starting 11 so if someone is going to sit on the bench and gain experience that will aid his development then McGinn is that choice.

The coaching staff will have seen him at every level and obviously see him as a big part of Scotland's future.

JimBHibees
11-11-2016, 06:28 AM
Until last weekend Charlie adam had played 40 mins of football. He's capable of something brilliant but he doesn't work hard enough. He also was at fault for the Bale goals against Wales. Strachan has nailed his colours. He wants grafters.

Anyway. Imagine claiming by default you were better than Zidane! What an ego. 😉

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

While agreeing with the point about the Welsh goals Strachan then plays someone like Bannen who is even worse defensively than Adam. Bizarre.

calumhibee1
11-11-2016, 07:15 AM
Charlie Adam. Good grief.
Question for his admirers on here - what if those English giants, Stoke City, were to 'swoop' on lowly championship side Hibs in January and take John McGinn south with that fat **** coming up here as a makeweight in the deal? (No pun).

Away and dinnae be daft.

If we're basing it purely on football ability and not how injury prone/old Charlie Adam is or considering John McGinns legend status then I'd swap him in a heartbeat. McGinn is a great player, Charlie Adam is an even better one which is why Adam plays in the EPL and McGinn plays in Scotland. Anybody who thinks that McGinn is better than a guy who has played regularly in Englands top flight for about 8 years and still does play fairly regularly when fit needs their head looked at. I love McGinn and think he's an absolutely superb player for Hibs and could go on to great things. But he's not better than Charlie Adam currently.

Salt N Sauzee
11-11-2016, 07:29 AM
If we're basing it purely on football ability and not how injury prone/old Charlie Adam is or considering John McGinns legend status then I'd swap him in a heartbeat. McGinn is a great player, Charlie Adam is an even better one which is why Adam plays in the EPL and McGinn plays in Scotland. Anybody who thinks that McGinn is better than a guy who has played regularly in Englands top flight for about 8 years and still does play fairly regularly when fit needs their head looked at. I love McGinn and think he's an absolutely superb player for Hibs and could go on to great things. But he's not better than Charlie Adam currently.

Adam done **** all for us in a Scotland jersey, calling him back up would achieve nothing, he's had his chance, we're hardly missing out. Strachan is quite unpopular right now but deserves credit for giving the young lads like McGinn, Hamiton, Tierney, Paterson etc a taste of international football as they're the future.

Pretty Boy
11-11-2016, 07:39 AM
If we sre going to bleed youngsters in the Scotland squad then based on current form Fraser Fyvie should be ahead of McGinn and Zander Clark of St Johnstone should be ahead of Jack Hamilton.

I like the idea of getting young players involved, if that means guys like Adam who will be lucky to be around beyond the next World Cup anyway, miss out then so be it. However it surely has to be based on form and as it stands the 2 I mentioned above are performing better than the other 2.

pontius pilate
11-11-2016, 07:49 AM
The way i see it gemmill is doing the same with the u21 getting rid of those who have tried and failed to get us to a major championship at that level and those guys who are going to be to old for the next one. What needs to happen is a complete restructure at u21 and national squad level where both managers have a philosiphy on the way they want the game played and both squads play that way. we need to start bringing the hungrier youthful players through instead of sticking with tried and tested players who have achived nothing. Without putting a dampner on it it wasnt that long ago wee lewis and paul hanlon were being slated for being part of a hibs squad that had got relegated and failed in two promotion bids. The fickle nature of a football fan i suppose

HibernianJK
11-11-2016, 08:11 AM
Don't remember Charlie Adam greetin' about not getting
picked for the squad going to Malta in September.

Fancy a wee game in a high profile fixture do
You Charlie?

Get lost ya plank

Don't think he'd played a minute of league football at this point.

B.H.F.C
11-11-2016, 08:20 AM
If we sre going to bleed youngsters in the Scotland squad then based on current form Fraser Fyvie should be ahead of McGinn and Zander Clark of St Johnstone should be ahead of Jack Hamilton.

I like the idea of getting young players involved, if that means guys like Adam who will be lucky to be around beyond the next World Cup anyway, miss out then so be it. However it surely has to be based on form and as it stands the 2 I mentioned above are performing better than the other 2.

Think it also has to be based on potential when you are talking about bedding young players in to the squad. And whilst I don't dispute that Fyvie has been our most consistent midfielder this year, I think McGin has far more potential. He's got more in the locker as well, like his strike against Ayr last week.

I think Scotland have players to choose from who do what Fyvie does, but who play at a better level. I think McGinn is just a bit different and that's what elevates him.

calumhibee1
11-11-2016, 08:33 AM
Adam done **** all for us in a Scotland jersey, calling him back up would achieve nothing, he's had his chance, we're hardly missing out. Strachan is quite unpopular right now but deserves credit for giving the young lads like McGinn, Hamiton, Tierney, Paterson etc a taste of international football as they're the future.

As much as it's good to see young lads given a chance we're not Germany or Spain who can afford to do it, were absolutely ***** and need the best players we have to stand any chance. The likes of Paterson should never in a million years be in ahead of Bardsley and IMO Adam should be in there. There's an argument to be made possibly that McGinn is a better player than Bannan and should be in ahead of him but he isn't on the same level as Adam.

Salt N Sauzee
11-11-2016, 09:02 AM
As much as it's good to see young lads given a chance we're not Germany or Spain who can afford to do it, were absolutely ***** and need the best players we have to stand any chance. The likes of Paterson should never in a million years be in ahead of Bardsley and IMO Adam should be in there. There's an argument to be made possibly that McGinn is a better player than Bannan and should be in ahead of him but he isn't on the same level as Adam.

But Adam has been no good for us in the past so why should he play? Just cause he plays or sits on the bench for a team in the massively overrated EPL he should play? He doesn't improve us in anyway.

Marco G
11-11-2016, 10:36 AM
But Adam has been no good for us in the past so why should he play? Just cause he plays or sits on the bench for a team in the massively overrated EPL he should play? He doesn't improve us in anyway.
I think that is a good point. The Stoke team is set up to use defence splitting passes or set pieces to create their goals. Adam can contribute to that. But in an England Scotland match he is more likely to go off for one of his late challenges (4th dirtiest EPL player of last 5 years) or be out of the game too much, all imho.

Wee Effen Bee
11-11-2016, 11:40 AM
[QUOTE=Big L;4855841]I appreciate McGinn and I'm delighted he plays for us, but he shouldn't be keeping out players who play in the EPL. Strachan is likely to resign after this game and I doubt very much if the next manager will choose McGinn![/QUOTE

How fit is Adam?
What was he like on his last couple of outings for Scotland?
Is every single Premiership/Championship player better than every homebased Scot?
Why was McGinn fastracked to the full squad from the 21s?

Adam has played 9 games this season and, even by his own admission, he is not 100% fully fit. He was slated more than once for some of his latter Scotland displays - even when he was doing well for his club. I would like to think that players like Brown, Tierney, or Griffiths are as good as any of their Scottish peers playing in England. Watching the last few Scotland games, I would say that McGinn's performances show he is, at least, on a level footing with Bannan et al.
Thing is, not every player who is selected will be expected to play. Alex Ferguson, I think, was at the forefront of promoting young players to his squads for training to give them a taste of what they should be striving for. They didn't always stay there but he saw it as good preparation for their development.
This shouldn't have gone down the path of an Adam V McGinn discussion anyway. It's wholly wrong and inappropriate. Different types of players and different types of characters. Why would Adams bring up McGinn - just because he plays in the Championship in Scotland? What does he know about John and his capabilities? Really sad and desperate stuff from Adam. What kind of player goes on national TV before such an important match to actually name and diss the players (and manager) in the squad? Perhaps a selfish player with little character and less than a little moral fibre - the kind we don't really need in our team.

Lancs Harp
11-11-2016, 12:26 PM
I think the original debate was about squads too and not neccessarily the starting eleven.

Regarding Charlies fitness, England have a similar issue with Kane. Southgate picked him but I would say his fitness is a greater risk than Charlies. Personally if a player isnt fit he shouldnt be in the squad, a mistake England have made time and time again.