PDA

View Full Version : Who's the bigger club? Hibs or...

IWasThere2016
09-11-2016, 04:23 PM
Coventry?

Carheenlea
09-11-2016, 04:28 PM
Hibs are the more prestigious of the two, and a lot more fun to support.

HibsNutter
09-11-2016, 04:33 PM
Only becomes a discussion because of the state of Scottish football compared with English football. Hibs are still the bigger club.

Keith_M
09-11-2016, 04:40 PM
I always worry about people obsessed with size.

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-11-2016, 04:48 PM
Discussing the state of our game as against the English game is a complete no value add. If Sky had gone in big time to Seria A would be having the same discussion or would we leave that to countries who share a border with Italy? A better discussion would be why potentially huge clubs like Leeds, Aston Villa , Newcastle and Sheffield Wednesday are in the second tier while more modest clubs like Burnley, Bournemouth and Watford are in the EPL.

Nameless
09-11-2016, 04:49 PM
Why Coventry? In terms of history, stature and brand awareness, I'd say we are bigger.

IWasThere2016
09-11-2016, 04:53 PM
Why Coventry??

A former - yet relatively recent - former Hibs Captain - has described Hibs as 'a decent sized club' and Coventry as 'a massive-sized one' today!

3pm
09-11-2016, 04:54 PM
Why Coventry??

A former - yet relatively recent former Hibs Captain - has described Hibs as 'a decent sized club' and Coventry as 'a massive-sized one'

McPake presumably.

Keith_M
Why Coventry? In terms of history, stature and brand awareness, I'd say we are bigger.

In terms of well known expressions, I'd say Coventry are much better known (e.g. sent to...).

worcesterhibby
all depends

Ground capacity - there's is bigger
Average attendance - around 12,000....bout the same as us
being going since 1883 we beat them by a few years

Coventry..never won national league Hibs have won the top league 4 times

Coventry have won FA cup in 86/87 Hibs have won National cups SFA and League 6 times

Coventry in Europe...nope Hibs in Europe...lots of great History, but no silverware

Coventry's best ever tennis playing fan - Marcus Willis Hibs - Andy Murray

I think we win

IWasThere2016
09-11-2016, 04:57 PM
McPake presumably.

Yup - my jaw hit the floor.

3pm
09-11-2016, 04:58 PM
Yup - my jaw hit the floor.

What context was this in? We're you having a blether or you read it somewhere?

Canon Hannan
09-11-2016, 05:07 PM
My son trained at their Academy which is very small. They have no money and massive problems. We are much bigger as a club now with similar support.

NAE NOOKIE
09-11-2016, 05:07 PM
Coventry is a pretty big city to only have one team with a population of nearly 350,000 ... the question is how did a club that was at one time in the forefront of modern football in its care for players and all seated stadium fall so low. If they ever get the financial input they need they could be a real force again, they already have the stadium and the fan base, all they need is the team.

As for being bigger than Hibs .... in the context of significance in football history no chance, as a bigger club in terms of finance and support then yes, or at least they should be.

Nameless
09-11-2016, 05:14 PM
In terms of well known expressions, I'd say Coventry are much better known (e.g. sent to...).
Sent to Coventry.

Hibs, Scottish Cup Champions.

What do you reckon has been said more often recently? [emoji6]

lucky
09-11-2016, 05:32 PM
For me Hibs are the only club of note in the world

Waxy
09-11-2016, 05:37 PM
Keith Houchen would be the best person to ask.

jgl07
09-11-2016, 05:48 PM
I have the advantage of having lived in Edinburgh for some time but also had a spell in Coventry lasting five or six years.

I was sufficiently entrenched to get myself elected to Coventry City Council for three years. So I do understand the City and their supporters.

Coventry had a spell as a big club. It ended a long while ago. They are currently suffering because they are owned by an asset stripping City set of robber-barons. The current owners' aims appear to be all to do with maximising real estate valuation. The only problems is that Coventry City don't have any! Hence their campaign to get the owners of the Richoh Arena to hand it over to them. The sale of the Richoh to Wasps Rugby Union has torpedoed that approach!

They suffered from having Jimmy Hill as Chairman when I lived there. He converted Highfield Road to all-seater by closing the terraced area. He priced out casual walk up supporters by charging three times the normal price for those without a ticket.

I wish the Coventry fans all the best with their battle against SISU, however big team they are not.

Coventry had one FA Cup win to mark their entire history, with the winning goal scored by our very own Keith Houchen!. That does not come anywhere near matching Hibs' achivements of four League Championships, three Scottish Cups, Three League Cups, before we start with the other trophies.

Coventry City attracted 7,941 to their last home match in the English Third Tier. Hibs have been pulling in twice that number.

Michael
09-11-2016, 05:55 PM
If it wasn't for the TV money then most of us probably wouldn't be aware Coventry had a professional football team.

Jonnyboy
09-11-2016, 06:22 PM
McPake presumably.

This is what happens when you head the ball too often :wink:

superfurryhibby
09-11-2016, 06:38 PM

Also better known in terms of bomb devastated cathedrals and naked ladies parading the streets.

Maybe McPake needs to have a look at the history books and check how Coventry's European record compares, or measure their contribution to the respective national sides or general part in the games development over the past 140 years or so.

Scouse Hibee
09-11-2016, 06:40 PM
It has to be Coventry, the amount of times I hear of folk being sent there means it must be a massive place with a massive team.

ihibs7
09-11-2016, 06:44 PM
Coventry have 84k followers on twitter while hibs have 51.1k. Can't tell you many hearts have because they've blocked me. Twitter followers per club give an interesting insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3pm
09-11-2016, 06:50 PM
This is what happens when you head the ball too often :wink:

Yep, more surgery required!

Betty Boop
09-11-2016, 07:09 PM
I always worry about people obsessed with size.

This.Thought it was only the Yams that were bothered about size.:greengrin

Stax
09-11-2016, 07:11 PM
Hibs, no comparison. My only knowledge of Coventry is because of possibly the worst football strip of all time, that chocolate brown number... Saying that The Specials are from there so not all bad :greengrin

Stax
09-11-2016, 07:18 PM
Hibs, no comparison. My only knowledge of Coventry is because of possibly the worst football strip of all time, that chocolate brown number... Saying that The Specials are from there so not all bad :greengrin

IWasThere2016
09-11-2016, 07:48 PM
What context was this in? We're you having a blether or you read it somewhere?

He's quoted in The Dundee Courier - I'll post the article next.

IWasThere2016
09-11-2016, 07:52 PM

3pm
09-11-2016, 08:08 PM
He's quoted in The Dundee Courier - I'll post the article next.

McPake better watch he doesn't aggravate his back injury when he's kissing Hartley's arse.

DownInAlbion
10-11-2016, 01:59 AM
https://i.makeagif.com/media/2-13-2015/wK_DYA.gif

Keith_M
10-11-2016, 07:04 AM
Can we widen this question to whichever club we like? If so:

Who's the bigger club? Hibs or Watford

Keith_M
10-11-2016, 07:09 AM
Also better known in terms of bomb devastated cathedrals and naked ladies parading the streets.

That swings it for me, Coventry definitely the winner.

:wink:

Craig_HFC
10-11-2016, 09:17 AM
McPake's an irrelevant walloper.

ian cruise
10-11-2016, 09:26 AM
I would definitely say that Hibs are a bigger club based on club size to country/league set up that we play in, Coventry is just fortunate to be playing in a league set up awash with cash, but that doesn't necessarily make it a bigger club or better league. If the money was the same I'm fairly certain most footballers would chose Hibs over Coventry and more neutrals will be familiar with us over them (they may know of Coventry as a place but that doesn't mean the club is more well known).

I get the impression that James is a little bitter at his perceived treatment by Hibs as doesn't hold us in as high regard as he once did. That said being in the second tier for a third season doesn't help the argument so we've made a rod for our own back, though let's not forget James and his colleagues at the time were responsible for getting us here in the first place.

lugz
10-11-2016, 09:46 AM
Poor mans David Gray

HappyHanlon
10-11-2016, 11:58 AM
James Mistake.

A loser with a loser mentality.

10-11-2016, 12:24 PM
I would like to see McPake back at Hibs. He could run on with a wee towel and polish David Gray's magnificent napper before corners.

NAE NOOKIE
10-11-2016, 12:43 PM
James Mistake.

A loser with a loser mentality.

Totally unfair ..... he might have been a limited footballer, but the last thing you could accuse McPake of was a lack of effort when he played, not only that but he appears to have struggled through injury to play during and after his time at Hibs .... as I said a limited player, but not one with a loser mentality for me.

Keith_M
10-11-2016, 12:47 PM
This.Thought it was only the Yams that were bothered about size.:greengrin

Apparently not.

:greengrin

CB_NO3
10-11-2016, 02:26 PM
Coventry is a pretty big city to only have one team with a population of nearly 350,000 ... the question is how did a club that was at one time in the forefront of modern football in its care for players and all seated stadium fall so low. If they ever get the financial input they need they could be a real force again, they already have the stadium and the fan base, all they need is the team.

As for being bigger than Hibs .... in the context of significance in football history no chance, as a bigger club in terms of finance and support then yes, or at least they should be.
They dont own their stadium. Its rented is it not? Hence the move to Northampton a few years back.