PDA

View Full Version : Were you that Hibee? (Restless Natives Hibee)

Viva_Palmeiras
08-11-2016, 08:26 PM

One of the best films from my yoof...

Was as only just talking about this film at The Jewel...

Bubs - another Hibee starred as the Wee boy running out of the joke shop into the street before the Policeman comes in and asks "have ye got any false tits..."

Fergos
08-11-2016, 11:29 PM
Bubs.....that's no a lad called Robin is it?

GGTTH

Frazerbob
09-11-2016, 01:08 AM
Great film, even better soundtrack. We were playing the now defunct Rangers the day they filmed the Mound scene. Anyone know the date and result?

Glory Lurker
09-11-2016, 05:46 AM
Great film, even better soundtrack. We were playing the now defunct Rangers the day they filmed the Mound scene. Anyone know the date and result?

We beat them at home last game(?) of the 84/85 season. Could have been then? Would be surprised if they'd shut Princes Street on a Saturday, though?

worcesterhibby
09-11-2016, 11:17 AM
I seem to remember it was filmed at about 6.00am on Sunday morning..you can kind of tell by the quality of the light in the scene as well.

Viva_Palmeiras
09-11-2016, 11:38 AM
Bubs.....that's no a lad called Robin is it?

GGTTH

Yes unfortunately I heard recently he passed away around a year ago way too young.

Fergos
09-11-2016, 12:42 PM
Yes unfortunately I heard recently he passed away around a year ago way too young.

Im very sorry to hear that. Used to play football with him as youngsters, he was a very funny & talented lad. I remember he was at some kind of acting lessons and told us all of being in the film.

RIP.

GGTTH

E10 Rifle
10-11-2016, 12:28 AM
One of the Hibee supporters in that scene (and the slightly later one where they are chasing the bike up Frederick Street?) was a guy called Hamish Weir. He tragically died while still at school in Edinburgh, so probably not that long after this was filmed. From memory the strips were given to them by the production crew who were Hibees and they were just told to 'cheer the bike...then chase it'.

Viva_Palmeiras
10-11-2016, 06:21 AM
One of the Hibee supporters in that scene (and the slightly later one where they are chasing the bike up Frederick Street?) was a guy called Hamish Weir. He tragically died while still at school in Edinburgh, so probably not that long after this was filmed. From memory the strips were given to them by the production crew who were Hibees and they were just told to 'cheer the bike...then chase it'.

Nice insight sorry to hear another untimely passing.

Was one of them wearing a bunnet?

Great film great scenes and scenery and soundtrack.

RIP Hamish.

Keith_M
10-11-2016, 09:13 AM
It was a really nice film but... why do they invariably have Glaswegian actors playing people from Edinburgh?

Hibbyradge
10-11-2016, 09:17 AM
What have I missed out on? What film is that?

WhileTheChief..
10-11-2016, 10:17 AM
Restless Natives.

Cool wee movie in a similar vein to Gregory's Girl or Local Hero. Well worth watching.

Nameless
10-11-2016, 10:31 AM
I'd never heard of this film before, but since reading this thread I've ordered it from Amazon. The clips on YouTube look pretty decent - prime for a remake maybe?

Keith_M
10-11-2016, 10:31 AM
What have I missed out on? What film is that?

It's called Restless Natives and is about two skint young guys from Edinburgh, one of whom runs a joke shop, deciding to raise money by becoming modern day highwaymen and robbing tourist buses in the highlands.

I think it was made in 1985.

Viva_Palmeiras
10-11-2016, 11:49 AM
I'd never heard of this film before, but since reading this thread I've ordered it from Amazon. The clips on YouTube look pretty decent - prime for a remake maybe?

IMO it was a film of the time. Not too sure a remake would work certainly the sound track could not be bettered and with Stuart Adamson gone best left as a fitting tribute.

But what with austerity and the crap that has brought maybe some scope for an contemporary update.

Viva_Palmeiras
10-11-2016, 11:53 AM
It was a really nice film but... why do they invariably have Glaswegian actors playing people from Edinburgh?

That is annoying did anyone from Trainspotting (Irvine excepted) come from Edinburgh? Tommy (Elgin) Spud (dunno) Renton (Crieff), Begbie (somewhere West - Paisley/Weedge) Diane (Weedgie?) Sickboy (America). That said I did think McGregor And Johnny Lee Miller win fact they were all pretty good...

mvteng
10-11-2016, 12:00 PM
Spud (Ewan Bremner) was in my year at school (Davidsons Mains)

Fanforlife
10-11-2016, 12:02 PM
Think Spud is fae Porty.

Keith_M
10-11-2016, 12:44 PM
That is annoying did anyone from Trainspotting (Irvine excepted) come from Edinburgh? Tommy (Elgin) Spud (dunno) Renton (Crieff), Begbie (somewhere West - Paisley/Weedge) Diane (Weedgie?) Sickboy (America). That said I did think McGregor And Johnny Lee Miller win fact they were all pretty good...

TV and Film in Scotland has invariably been set in the West but on the rare occasion it hasn't, they still have some kind of west-coast mafia thing going on when it comes to actors & directors.

The most irritating for me was choosing John Hannah to play Rebus. I mean seriously? Thankfully they've since set that right but come one, John Hannah as Rebus!

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love a lot of stuff that is naturally Glasgow and West Coast, e.g. Still Game, but I think sometimes they could use a bit more imagination and look beyond their own circle.

hibee_nation
10-11-2016, 01:05 PM
Quite a bit of Trainspotting was filmed in Glasgow.

southsider
10-11-2016, 01:09 PM
Where as "Just another Saturday", which is about Glasgow's orange walk culture, was filmed mostly in Leith.

matty_f
10-11-2016, 01:10 PM
Restless Natives is a good movie, at least I remember it as being a good movie. Would be nice to watch it again.

Craig_HFC
10-11-2016, 01:10 PM

Johnny Lee Miller is from Kingston-Upon-Thames in England. His Edinburgh accent was superb though.

SouthMoroccoStu
10-11-2016, 01:17 PM
Think Spud is fae Porty.

Yeah I'm sure Spud went to Porty

Keith_M
10-11-2016, 02:18 PM
Restless Natives is a good movie, at least I remember it as being a good movie. Would be nice to watch it again.

I watched it fairly recently Matty and it hasn't lost its charms. Definitely worth another viewing.

jacomo
10-11-2016, 02:39 PM

Is that not because they struggled to find unsanitised bits of Leith?

Keith_M
10-11-2016, 02:43 PM
Is that not because they struggled to find unsanitised bits of Leith?

I think they wanted to set it in Granton and Muirhouse but those places weren't ****ty enough so they had to film it in Glasgow to get that really deprived, neglected, slummy feel.

;-)

wookie70
10-11-2016, 06:02 PM
Spud went to Porty same year as Gail Porter

brog
10-11-2016, 07:57 PM
Spud went to Porty same year as Gail Porter

I met Gail when I was up in August for Pars game. I was with a Hibs legend so we briefly spoke footy. She said something like, " I don't really know anything about football but I know we don't like Hearts!". That'll do me!

Jonnyboy
10-11-2016, 08:04 PM
I met Gail when I was up in August for Pars game. I was with a Hibs legend so we briefly spoke footy. She said something like, " I don't really know anything about football but I know we don't like Hearts!". That'll do me!

Was Hanlon mentioned at all, B? :greengrin

pacorosssco
10-11-2016, 08:11 PM

Gail Porter.. Forever the hubba bubba girl:wink:

mca
10-11-2016, 08:12 PM
I seem to remember it was filmed at about 6.00am on Sunday morning..you can kind of tell by the quality of the light in the scene as well.

Can Remember reading an article in some paper.. Saying how Loads of the Fake notes that they chucked out from the back of the Bike - Were Fooling quite a Lot of The Foreign Shop Keepers.. They even showed the notes in the paper at the time, i can remember laughing about it and wanted a note as they looked so cool.. i was only 10.. :wink: still never got a note.. :boo hoo:

The Green Goblin
10-11-2016, 08:38 PM
Loved this film as a kid and love it now.

Dashing Bob S
11-11-2016, 01:33 AM
I think they wanted to set it in Granton and Muirhouse but those places weren't ****ty enough so they had to film it in Glasgow to get that really deprived, neglected, slummy feel.

;-)

The film wasn't big budget, so most of it would be shot in Glasgow as most people working in on crews in film and TV in Scotland are based there. This is more cost effective in terms of savings on hotels and daylight time on transfers and setting up in Edinburgh. Be interesting to see if Trainspotting 2, with a much bigger budget, features more of Edinburgh.

The Green Goblin
11-11-2016, 06:34 AM
The film wasn't big budget, so most of it would be shot in Glasgow as most people working in on crews in film and TV in Scotland are based there. This is more cost effective in terms of savings on hotels and daylight time on transfers and setting up in Edinburgh. Be interesting to see if Trainspotting 2, with a much bigger budget, features more of Edinburgh.

Boyle (Danny, not Martin) :greengrin said recently that Edinburgh was going to be "one of the characters" in T2.

Niffy
11-11-2016, 06:58 AM
There's an old woman in Dunbar (where I live) that is convinced I was one of the guys in Restless Natives, and periodically appears on my Facebook asking me to come clean and admit to my acting past.

How f****** weird is that.

Viva_Palmeiras
11-11-2016, 03:57 PM
There's an old woman in Dunbar (where I live) that is convinced I was one of the guys in Restless Natives, and periodically appears on my Facebook asking me to come clean and admit to my acting past.

[semi-spoiler alert]

Stuart from the community foundation (used to do fit fans in training) looks like one of the characters (was it Wotherspoon?)

the boy that Dreamed of "not just (mashed) potatoes - creamed potatoes!"

jacomo
11-11-2016, 10:09 PM

Something brilliant about that too.

southsider
12-11-2016, 09:47 AM
Boyle (Danny, not Martin) :greengrin said recently that Edinburgh was going to be "one of the characters" in T2.
The bananny flats about to get listed status ?

DickieDastardly
12-11-2016, 10:59 PM

The scene where they are riding over a footbridge throwing cash was filmed in Westerhailes at the access where the bypass used to stop (when it only ran from Hillend to Westerhailes). I was an apprentice at a firm called James Bowen and used to get off the bus there and walk down through Westerhailes, was probably about 7.15am. I never actually realised what was happening until I saw the film much later and realised i walked under the bridge while filming was taking place.

Not been down that way for a while but think that footbridge is still there...

Bay Area Hibees
13-11-2016, 02:17 AM
Big country tune on sound track iircc

Viva_Palmeiras
13-11-2016, 09:54 AM
Big country tune on sound track iircc

They did the whole film as far as I can remember... "The eagle he was Lord above, Rob [Roy] was Lord below..."

cheltenhamhibee
14-11-2016, 12:07 AM
http://watch5s.to/movie/restless-natives/watch/

here's a link, hopefully it'll work

leither17
14-11-2016, 01:31 AM
Where as "Just another Saturday", which is about Glasgow's orange walk culture, was filmed mostly in Leith.

Great wee film billy Connolly is brill in it