PDA

View Full Version : Football is 'endemically' corrupt

jacomo
08-11-2016, 07:55 PM
Bungs, third party ownership, agents working both sides of a deal, deals getting made so people can line their pockets not improve the team... all rife, according to this:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/09/world-football-endemically-corrupt-player-transfers-agents

I bet Hibs have been stung by this in the past, and our money has gone to fund some guy's trash lifestyle.

What can be done about it?

tamig
08-11-2016, 08:23 PM
Bungs, third party ownership, agents working both sides of a deal, deals getting made so people can line their pockets not improve the team... all rife, according to this:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/09/world-football-endemically-corrupt-player-transfers-agents

I bet Hibs have been stung by this in the past, and our money has gone to fund some guy's trash lifestyle.

What can be done about it?

I think most of us probably know all that already.

It's a bit like one of those "experts from such and such university have found that blah blah... following a 6 month study" type reports.

Viva_Palmeiras
08-11-2016, 09:32 PM
I think most of us probably know all that already.

It's a bit like one of those "experts from such and such university have found that blah blah... following a 6 month study" type reports.

An (independent) study makes it "real" though, not just "common knowledge" or "hearsay" which makes it more difficult to ignore until another (contradictory) paper is commissioned ;)

Where there's vast amounts of money (and in a poorly/loosely regulated environment) there's too gonna be someone trying to get a slice of the action some In less ethical ways than others.

The money sloshing about in Football is it having a net benefit? And if so to whom? The genie is out the bottle tho.

tamig
08-11-2016, 09:46 PM
An (independent) study makes it "real" though, not just "common knowledge" or "hearsay" which makes it more difficult to ignore until another (contradictory) paper is commissioned ;)

Where there's vast amounts of money (and in a poorly/loosely regulated environment) there's too gonna be someone trying to get a slice of the action some In less ethical ways than others.

The money sloshing about in Football is it having a net benefit? And if so to whom? The genie is out the bottle tho.

But the genie's been out the bottle for ages. I'm just surprised that this appears to be news.

Here's a good aricle from a few years back http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2069651/Why-does-football-waste-209m-agents-Patrick-Collins.html?ito=email_share_mobile-masthead

jacomo
08-11-2016, 10:36 PM
But the genie's been out the bottle for ages. I'm just surprised that this appears to be news.

Here's a good aricle from a few years back http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2069651/Why-does-football-waste-209m-agents-Patrick-Collins.html?ito=email_share_mobile-masthead

What's different, in England at least, is that the national manager lost his job over appearing to advise how to circumvent TPO rules, and the current assistant manager has been found to have lied in court about an agent's involvement in a transfer.

How would we feel, for example, if it was shown that a Hibs manager signed a player due to a bung? We expect these employees of our club to carry out their jobs to the best of their ability.

Kato
08-11-2016, 11:56 PM

Aye, first time was in 1887.

Football has always had corruption and vultures.

Globalised sport now so its on a global scale. Seems like the norm these days.

NAE NOOKIE
09-11-2016, 11:54 AM
Football is a disgusting cesspit of greed and corruption ... it probably always has been, but the difference is we have gone from a player being lured to a club with the promise of a car and a semi detached house to millions and millions being sucked out of the game by greedy players and bloodsucking agents.

I heard somewhere a day or two ago that the amount of money Real Madrid are paying to keep a hold of Ronaldo and Bale swallows up the clubs whole budget ....... where the hell is the rest of the money coming from to pay the rest of the players then?

Crooks and charlatans the bloody lot of them.

where'stheslope
09-11-2016, 12:18 PM
Our rivals Dundee United had a deal with Macnamara where he made money from sales of players, hence all the best players ended up at Celtic causing their demise into Championship with us!!!!
And that was a known case how many others have slipped under the radar???

jacomo
09-11-2016, 01:12 PM
Our rivals Dundee United had a deal with Macnamara where he made money from sales of players, hence all the best players ended up at Celtic causing their demise into Championship with us!!!!
And that was a known case how many others have slipped under the radar???

At least that deal was out in the open!

As you say, who knows how many other managers have been on the make but have kept it a secret?

jgl07
09-11-2016, 01:15 PM
Remember when Jim Duffy managed Hibs and signed a couple of duds from Dundee shortly after moving from them. I was told that it was to get his payoff from Dundee.

Smartie
09-11-2016, 01:21 PM
Remember when Jim Duffy managed Hibs and signed a couple of duds from Dundee shortly after moving from them. I was told that it was to get his payoff from Dundee.

I think the Duffy era was one of our dodgiest in a number of ways.

Did he not sign all of his players through the same agent? It would explain a few of the signings right enough.