PDA

View Full Version : Question Upgrading a student season ticket to an adult

Laurs
07-11-2016, 01:25 PM
Hiya,

I got a student season ticket for this year but I need to upgrade to an adult as I withdrew from Uni.

Has anyone done this before? The ticket office have advised I need to pay a one off payment which I cant really afford at the moment and they said the finance option has not been confirmed for half season tickets.

If i choose to give up my ticket altogether will i be entitled to like a partial refund? The girl i spoke to was not sure so someone is going to call me back tomorrow but wanted to see if anyone else has been in this situation before?

Thanks for any help :)

Billy Whizz
07-11-2016, 01:30 PM
Hiya,

I got a student season ticket for this year but I need to upgrade to an adult as I withdrew from Uni.

Has anyone done this before? The ticket office have advised I need to pay a one off payment which I cant really afford at the moment and they said the finance option has not been confirmed for half season tickets.

If i choose to give up my ticket altogether will i be entitled to like a partial refund? The girl i spoke to was not sure so someone is going to call me back tomorrow but wanted to see if anyone else has been in this situation before?

What you could do it upgrade it on a match to match basis at the TO, pay the difference for the game

theonlywayisup
07-11-2016, 01:33 PM
Hiya,

Your best option might be to upgrade on a game-by-game basis. If you did that every game you'll probably be worse off, but at least you won't need to one off payment.

sleeping giant
07-11-2016, 01:37 PM
Do you have to hand back your student card ?
If not , I would just attend as always.

It's better to have someone in the seat and it doesn't sound like you are at it .

lugz
07-11-2016, 01:47 PM
Change it to a friends name who is a student and keep the ST for the same price?

percy veer
07-11-2016, 03:04 PM
Change it to a friends name who is a student and keep the ST for the same price?

even better to do the club out of money ask for it to be downgraded to a child ticket

lugz
07-11-2016, 04:05 PM
even better to do the club out of money ask for it to be downgraded to a child ticket

better to give some money and have someone in a seat than no money and no one in the seat.

Scouse Hibee
07-11-2016, 04:43 PM
Hiya,

If you purchased one and have already shown your valid matriculation card before dropping out the club will be none the wiser for this season.

overdrive
07-11-2016, 05:14 PM
If you purchased one and have already shown your valid matriculation card before dropping out the club will be none the wiser for this season.

I thought the point of introducing the separate turnstiles for concessions was to crack down on this sort of thing. I know in the FF Upper there is a steward on the inside looking specifically at the folk coming through that turnstile which I assumed was to check that people were actually concessions.

Scouse Hibee
07-11-2016, 07:02 PM
I thought the point of introducing the separate turnstiles for concessions was to crack down on this sort of thing. I know in the FF Upper there is a steward on the inside looking specifically at the folk coming through that turnstile which I assumed was to check that people were actually concessions.

Yes but they don't check for matriculation cards after the strict process for getting a student card has already been followed. Think they look for adults using children cards and young folk using oap concession cards. By the way I am not suggesting defrauding the club from the outset, just if circumstances change during the season I doubt many would declare it until next season.

Danderhall Hibs
07-11-2016, 07:03 PM
better to give some money and have someone in a seat than no money and no one in the seat.

Good shout. Can I choose how much I want to pay as well? I'm on the DD scheme so should be easy to adjust my monthly payment.

:greengrin

RoYO!
07-11-2016, 07:08 PM
And so, the ten pager began ;)

HIBEELASS
07-11-2016, 07:27 PM
And so, the ten pager began ;)
Same happened to us. Son upgraded his season ticket as didnt go back to college but got an apprentice job instead. Paid apprentice wage so was probably better off being a student but paid the difference in season ticket price. So no i dont think anyone should be doing club out of money and chancing using wrong season tickets. Agree totally in ticket office, stewards and whoever else checking for wrong tickets being purchased.

Famous Fiver
07-11-2016, 07:51 PM
Every time I've gone through the check point in the East (passport in pocket in case I am challenged) stewards have been too busy yakking to pay any attention to anyone going past them.

I would be prepared to bet they haven't picked up a single dodger.

Any insiders care to let us know what the effect of the new system has been?

Laurs
08-11-2016, 12:10 PM
Thanks for this - i appreciate your help. Probably go for the upgrade per game way unless when they call me back today they have another option.

WeeRussell
08-11-2016, 12:26 PM
You've bought your season ticket and now your circumstances have changed - I wouldn't feel obliged to pay any extra, you crack on and support the team mate. :aok:

I doubt you're having to return to all the shops you've received student discount on retrospectively to pay the difference for any goods or services you've purchased since this uni year started. The club got your season money up front at the time, based on your rate. I don't think you should be put at the disadvantage of forking out every week when you have a season ticket like anyone else.

There will of course be a few Hibs Heroes accusing you of 'doing the club out of money' and having a go at the likes of me for the view point, but I wouldn't worry about it.

ancient hibee
08-11-2016, 05:05 PM
When I qualified for the old codgers season ticket the season had just started so I had to renew at the full rate.There was no question of me being able to get a rebate. I think in this situation you should go on using the student card.After all something might change and you go back.

hibbysam
08-11-2016, 11:07 PM
Same happened to us. Son upgraded his season ticket as didnt go back to college but got an apprentice job instead. Paid apprentice wage so was probably better off being a student but paid the difference in season ticket price. So no i dont think anyone should be doing club out of money and chancing using wrong season tickets. Agree totally in ticket office, stewards and whoever else checking for wrong tickets being purchased.

Surely if he's an apprentice, he still attends college as part of this, and therefore still a student with a student card?

In this case, no one is doing the club out of money. When the goods were purchased, the person was a student, they technically still have a valid student card so no issues at all with this.

Scouse Hibee
09-11-2016, 11:54 AM
Announcement ftom club today on Student ST's.

Hibrandenburg
09-11-2016, 12:20 PM
I got a senior citizens season ticket after the cup final, unfortunately the the cup win has taken years off me. Can I still use my ticket or will I have to pay the difference?

Keith_M
09-11-2016, 12:25 PM
If the OP's circumstances are genuinely as he states, which I've no reason to disbelieve, he'll have already shown his Matric card to Hibs and I think he should just continue using his ST and upgrade it next season, when he has the money.

It doesn't sound like he's trying to do the club out of money and I don't think the tiny number of cases like his is any financial drain on Hibs.

People pretending to be Students when they applied for their ST is a different matter entirely.

Keith_M
09-11-2016, 12:28 PM
I got a senior citizens season ticket after the cup final, unfortunately the the cup win has taken years off me. Can I still use my ticket or will I have to pay the difference?

I think you should pay double, bl**dy foreigner....

matty_f
09-11-2016, 12:31 PM
If the OP's circumstances are genuinely as he states, which I've no reason to disbelieve, he'll have already shown his Matric card to Hibs and I think he should just continue using his ST and upgrade it next season, when he has the money.

It doesn't sound like he's trying to do the club out of money and I don't think the tiny number of cases like his is any financial drain on Hibs.

People pretending to be Students when they applied for their ST is a different matter entirely.
He won't necessarily have shown the matriculation card at the time, there's an item on the official thread saying that it's now the deadline for people to show matriculation cards or their tickets become invalid.

Keith_M
09-11-2016, 12:37 PM
He won't necessarily have shown the matriculation card at the time, there's an item on the official thread saying that it's now the deadline for people to show matriculation cards or their tickets become invalid.

Ah, OK.

I should have read that properly :-)

Hibrandenburg
09-11-2016, 01:01 PM
Ah, OK.

I should have read that properly :-)

Try getting Google translate to change it to German ya Kraut. :wink:

Laurs
09-11-2016, 01:33 PM
Yeah that's my issue, I upgraded as an early bird in April / June so just had to get uni to complete the student declaration form to say i was enrolled and stamp it as matric cards were not being issued until September. I only have last year's card now. :(

I havent been to any home games this season hence why i'm quite happy to upgrade game by game as it's hit an miss when i can attend. I am going this weekend (hopefully) but still waiting on TO coming back to me. I'm not fussed about getting money back my point is if i cant afford to upgrade - i've paid £160 for 4 home games as it was stopped before the st Mirren game.

CentreLine
09-11-2016, 01:48 PM

Hun, surely? :wink:

franks
09-11-2016, 02:34 PM
When I qualified for the old codgers season ticket the season had just started so I had to renew at the full rate.There was no question of me being able to get a rebate. I think in this situation you should go on using the student card.After all something might change and you go back.

Same here, I have not seen 1 game as a 64 year old but was told I had to buy an adult ticket as my birthday (early August) was after 1st August. I don't have a problem as there must be a cut off date and I just missed out.

I could have waited to buy a ST until after my birthday but would have probably lost my seat which I wanted to retain.

Laurs
09-11-2016, 03:22 PM
Response from the ticket office via email:

I’m afraid you wouldn’t be able to upgrade game by game – it would have to be the one off payment.

If you decide to cancel the Season Ticket then you would only be entitled to a £50 refund. If you decide to cancel then we would need you to come in to the Ticket Office to return the Season Card and then we can process the refund.

I cant be the only person in this situation and there seems to be a bit of an inflexible approach. I might just take the £50 and hope they do a finance option for half season tickets. Just dont want to loose my seat :( I've had it for years!

oh well.....

I do appreciate your help!

matty_f
09-11-2016, 03:35 PM
Response from the ticket office via email:

I’m afraid you wouldn’t be able to upgrade game by game – it would have to be the one off payment.

If you decide to cancel the Season Ticket then you would only be entitled to a £50 refund. If you decide to cancel then we would need you to come in to the Ticket Office to return the Season Card and then we can process the refund.

I cant be the only person in this situation and there seems to be a bit of an inflexible approach. I might just take the £50 and hope they do a finance option for half season tickets. Just dont want to loose my seat :( I've had it for years!

oh well.....

I do appreciate your help!

I don't think it's that inflexible, to be fair. The club budget for the money that is committed to, you've benefited from a discounted season ticket so far and now that the deadline is approaching you're not able to any more.
I'm not sure what the terms are when you get a student ticket but I'm guessing you've not just realised now that you weren't at uni any more so you could have made provisions to make up the difference prior to the deadline.

Laurs
09-11-2016, 03:45 PM
I don't think it's that inflexible, to be fair. The club budget for the money that is committed to, you've benefited from a discounted season ticket so far and now that the deadline is approaching you're not able to any more.
I'm not sure what the terms are when you get a student ticket but I'm guessing you've not just realised now that you weren't at uni any more so you could have made provisions to make up the difference prior to the deadline.

Ive been a season ticket holder for 15 years and this is the first time ive been a student. Yes i realised i wasnt a student but due to the fact i filled in a declaration when i was and they have had my card for the last 3 years i didnt realise they would "stop" my season ticket. Your right i probably should have went through all the t&cs but i didnt think this situation would arrise.

I want to give them more money just not in one go so it would actually add more to their budget!

Anyway its my own fault ill just have to wait until next year and hope noone gets my seat

Billy Whizz
09-11-2016, 03:47 PM
Ive been a season ticket holder for 15 years and this is the first time ive been a student. Yes i realised i wasnt a student but due to the fact i filled in a declaration when i was and they have had my card for the last 3 years i didnt realise they would "stop" my season ticket. Your right i probably should have went through all the t&cs but i didnt think this situation would arrise.

I want to give them more money just not in one go so it would actually add more to their budget!

Anyway its my own fault ill just have to wait until next year and hope noone gets my seat
Get yourself an interest free credit card, pay it off over 6-12 months

NAE NOOKIE
09-11-2016, 04:01 PM
Its one thing trying to diddle the club out of money at the start of the season by pretending to be something you are not .... but the OP appears to be a pretty honest guy, I wonder how many folk in his situation would actually even try to upgrade their ST.

If he genuinely cant afford the upgrade then I for one wouldn't be having a go at him for continuing to use his student ST .... better to have a fan in the ground than an empty seat. I would not apply the same criteria to folk who set out from the beginning to buy a ST they are not entitled to.

Keith_M
09-11-2016, 04:12 PM

Oi!

:grr:

DTS
09-11-2016, 04:54 PM
In the exact same position as the op, totally arsed up my exams last year and had to drop out. Having renewed in April with the full intention of staying in uni I said I'd have my student ID by October! Before the st mirren game my season ticket and account were suspended until I paid a one off payment of £250 to upgrade. Had the ticket office free up my seat for that game then paid the £22 for the ticket for it to tell me at the turnstile my account was on hold so couldn't enter even though I had paid for the st mirren game. Despite not being able to afford the upgrade cost the club/finance company are going to continue to take my monthly payments which I understand but what I don't understand is why I can't increase my monthly payments to an adult ticket cost! I'm just having to hope there's a finance payment for the half season tickets and go from there if not i'tll be the first time in 16 years without a season ticket for me

Onion
09-11-2016, 04:59 PM
Hiya,

Did this a few years back and just kept using the Student ST until the end of the season. There was no requirement to inform Hibs of a change to your student status which is checked only at the start of the season.

HIBEELASS
09-11-2016, 08:13 PM
Surely if he's an apprentice, he still attends college as part of this, and therefore still a student with a student card?

In this case, no one is doing the club out of money. When the goods were purchased, the person was a student, they technically still have a valid student card so no issues at all with this.

No we did ask but to qualify for student season ticket you have to be in full time education. Would be good if a different price bracket was introduced for youths as price is a big increase for this age group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andyf5
10-11-2016, 12:00 PM
In the exact same position as the op, totally arsed up my exams last year and had to drop out. Having renewed in April with the full intention of staying in uni I said I'd have my student ID by October! Before the st mirren game my season ticket and account were suspended until I paid a one off payment of £250 to upgrade. Had the ticket office free up my seat for that game then paid the £22 for the ticket for it to tell me at the turnstile my account was on hold so couldn't enter even though I had paid for the st mirren game. Despite not being able to afford the upgrade cost the club/finance company are going to continue to take my monthly payments which I understand but what I don't understand is why I can't increase my monthly payments to an adult ticket cost! I'm just having to hope there's a finance payment for the half season tickets and go from there if not i'tll be the first time in 16 years without a season ticket for me

This does seem a bit short sighted. A couple of loyal fans on the face of it. Surely the club can let them keep their seats / let them pay the difference match by match. They will have a customer account for each of them and can mark it accordingly.

Maybe you should email someone senior at the club explaining the situation as you have here?

DTS
10-11-2016, 04:06 PM
This does seem a bit short sighted. A couple of loyal fans on the face of it. Surely the club can let them keep their seats / let them pay the difference match by match. They will have a customer account for each of them and can mark it accordingly.

Maybe you should email someone senior at the club explaining the situation as you have here?

I understand the clubs stance on the matter as technically I am due them the £250 as I am no longer a student, I'm just very surprised that a phone call etc couldn't be made to zebra finance instructing them to change the amount of the monthly payments. I wouldn't have a clue where to start in terms of emailing someone at the club

Scouse Hibee
10-11-2016, 06:04 PM

No it would never work too much administration in creating another payment method for a ST that isn't needed.I sympathise with those affected but you can't just create yet another system because a very small amount of ST holders have changed entitlement.