PDA

View Full Version : Phil Bardsley

brog
06-11-2016, 08:52 PM
Did he ask to stop playing for Scotland? Papers today are full of Hutton pulling out leaving us only with Clum at RB but Bardsley's playing for Stoke every week. Similarly Matt Phillips scored one & made one for WBA today but he's nowhere near the squad which is full of championship players who are not getting a club game. I like Strachan as a person but many of his selections are baffling!

Thecat23
06-11-2016, 08:57 PM
Did he ask to stop playing for Scotland? Papers today are full of Hutton pulling out leaving us only with Clum at RB but Bardsley's playing for Stoke every week. Similarly Matt Phillips scored one & made one for WBA today but he's nowhere near the squad which is full of championship players who are not getting a club game. I like Strachan as a person but many of his selections are baffling!

Strachan's team selections and tactics will be his downfall. Thankfully I can't wait because watching Scotland just now is like getting your teeth pulled.

Cocaine&Caviar
06-11-2016, 09:29 PM
Both players mentioned (Bardsley & Phillips) are English ;)

brog
06-11-2016, 09:31 PM

Bardsley has 10 Scottish caps & Phillips has 4.

Allant1981
06-11-2016, 09:32 PM

His dad is scottish

Stax
06-11-2016, 09:32 PM
I wish Callum Paterson was English

Pretty Boy
06-11-2016, 09:42 PM
Did Bardsley and Strachan not have a falling/disagreement out a while back?

Levein was savaged by the press, quite rightly at the time, for the Fletcher situation yet Strachan seems to be getting an easy ride from his media pals in this instance.

Fwiw I actually think Paterson is a decent player, whether than extends to being international class is another matter. However having a guy who is playing in the EPL every week and not selecting him seems strange to me.

Tobias Funke
06-11-2016, 09:46 PM

You are a clever clogs. Well done you!:aok:

brog
06-11-2016, 09:49 PM
Did Bardsley and Strachan not have a falling/disagreement out a while back?

Levein was savaged by the press, quite rightly at the time, for the Fletcher situation yet Strachan seems to be getting an easy ride from his media pals in this instance.

Fwiw I actually think Paterson is a decent player, whether than extends to being international class is another matter. However having a guy who is playing in the EPL every week and not selecting him seems strange to me.

I had some vague memory of a disagreement as well PB which is why I asked the question. I'm not a great fan of Bardsley, I remember him getting sent off against us, but he's playing every week & holding his own against players who will be in the England team.

overdrive
06-11-2016, 09:50 PM
I wish Callum Paterson was English

He actually is.

Stax
06-11-2016, 09:55 PM
He actually is.
Must have slipped under the FA's net when he played for Kirkliston & south Queensferry then.. :greengrin

brog
06-11-2016, 10:04 PM
Must have slipped under the FA's net when he played for Kirkliston & south Queensferry then.. :greengrin

He was born in London.

Danderhall Hibs
06-11-2016, 10:13 PM

So's Chris Martin.

Danderhall Hibs
06-11-2016, 10:14 PM

Decent player but nowhere near the hype they bestow upon him.

That's why no one's ever put a bid in for him.

Stax
06-11-2016, 10:21 PM
He was born in London.
As I said I can't believe he's slipped under the FA's radar.

brog
06-11-2016, 10:27 PM
So's Chris Martin.

And dozens of other past players including our own genius, Alex Cropley!

HoboHarry
06-11-2016, 10:28 PM
Decent player but nowhere near the hype they bestow upon him.

That's why no one's ever put a bid in for him.
Wigan have done......

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11682/10559675/wigan-fail-in-third-bid-for-hearts-callum-paterson-sky-sources

Danderhall Hibs
06-11-2016, 10:30 PM

I know - I thought the boy was saying Strachan's not picking them cos they're English but picking Martin would go against that theory.

Danderhall Hibs
06-11-2016, 10:31 PM
Wigan have done......

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11682/10559675/wigan-fail-in-third-bid-for-hearts-callum-paterson-sky-sources

I should've qualified it - no one put a bid in when he'd cost any real money. Now he's out of contract a few will sniff about in the hope they can get him and his potential on the cheap.

Stax
06-11-2016, 10:36 PM
You'll be telling me Joe Baker was English next..

brog
06-11-2016, 10:37 PM
I know - I thought the boy was saying Strachan's not picking them cos they're English but picking Martin would go against that theory.

I think our Fletch was also born in England. I didn't know if the prior poster meant as you say or if he genuinely didn't know PB & MP have played for Scotland.

Danderhall Hibs
06-11-2016, 10:39 PM
I think our Fletch was also born in England. I didn't know if the prior poster meant as you say or if he genuinely didn't know PB & MP have played for Scotland.

:aok: He was - Shrewsbury I think.

KWJ
06-11-2016, 11:46 PM
Folk saying Patterson is pish are just being a bit daft IMO.

Dinnae like him but think he's got a shot to do better in the game than both Hutton and Whittaker. Different type of player for sure but one that Scotland could do with.

Never heard Scott Arfield get mentioned for a Scotland call up and he's been doing well at Burnley. More of the same with our other midfielders but the form guy deserves the shout surely.

dmc1875
07-11-2016, 12:05 AM
Paterson is a good footballer, regardless of who he plays for. He's quick, big, good in the air, can cross a ball and scores a fair share of goals. Deserves his Scotland place and is a far better option than Hutton especially considering his age.

Cod Boy
07-11-2016, 12:13 AM
Folk saying Patterson is pish are just being a bit daft IMO.

Dinnae like him but think he's got a shot to do better in the game than both Hutton and Whittaker. Different type of player for sure but one that Scotland could do with.

Never heard Scott Arfield get mentioned for a Scotland call up and he's been doing well at Burnley. More of the same with our other midfielders but the form guy deserves the shout surely.

Arfield plays for Canada

snooky
07-11-2016, 12:16 AM
The Baker Boy is THE big one though with eight England caps.
(Unless you are talking about playing for a different country than the one you were born in, of course).

IvanSproule
07-11-2016, 01:34 AM
Doesn't get on with Strachan.

Ridiculous that personal crap can get in the way of the best available player being selected.

Bardsley has played every minute of 3 consecutive BPL wins for stoke, MOM in one.

Paterson just shipped 3 goals to caley thistle......

Slim Shady
07-11-2016, 07:54 AM
Patterson is good going forward but can't defend.

Watched highlights of Armstrong from Celtic at RB. Done very well

GordonHFC
07-11-2016, 08:07 AM
He was born in London.

As my old Gran used to say 'if yer born in a field yer no a horse' 😁

frazeHFC
07-11-2016, 09:57 AM

The old KSQ days him at right back and me at left back. He's now playing for Scotland and I can't run the length of the pitch without needing a rest. :tee hee:

High-On-Hibs
07-11-2016, 10:02 AM
Not all players are eager to play for their country, which is why some players who you would expect to get into the Scotland squad never get selected.

Tyler Durden
07-11-2016, 10:08 AM
Not all players are eager to play for their country, which is why some players who you would expect to get into the Scotland squad never get selected.

Such as?

Stax
07-11-2016, 09:19 PM
The old KSQ days him at right back and me at left back. He's now playing for Scotland and I can't run the length of the pitch without needing a rest. :tee hee:
:greengrin

HibbiesandtheBaddies
07-11-2016, 09:28 PM
I'd take him at Hibs.

Thegreenside
07-11-2016, 10:05 PM
Arfield plays for Canada

Only recently after holding out for a Scotland call up that was never coming

3pm
07-11-2016, 10:09 PM
Mind when Bardsley got sent off at ER. Good day. :greengrin

1875STEVE
07-11-2016, 10:12 PM
Strachan mentioned in one of the papes today that "there is a group of players on the outside looking in" who are pretty much finished with scotland under him.

Didn't say names, but paper did: McCormack, Bardsley, Rhodes, Charlie Adam, Whittaker & George Boyd.

Duno if he doesn't fancy them, but they are all Premiership players other than Whitty.

ancient hibee
07-11-2016, 10:16 PM
Strachan's day has come and gone I'm afraid.

Green Man
08-11-2016, 09:38 AM
When did Ross McCormack last play for Scotland? He's been excellent whenever I've seen him play club football over the last few years and I've always felt he should be in the Scotland squad.

Scorrie
08-11-2016, 10:38 AM
Strachan's day has come and gone I'm afraid.

I agree. Too many stubborn team selections and not picking players in form. Time for him to get his jotters

Gordy M
08-11-2016, 11:04 AM
Strachan mentioned in one of the papes today that "there is a group of players on the outside looking in" who are pretty much finished with scotland under him.

Didn't say names, but paper did: McCormack, Bardsley, Rhodes, Charlie Adam, Whittaker & George Boyd.

Duno if he doesn't fancy them, but they are all Premiership players other than Whitty.

Charlie Adam on the bbc news this morning having a dig at Strachan for having SJM in the squad before him....

CB_NO3
08-11-2016, 11:52 AM
Charlie Adam on the bbc news this morning having a dig at Strachan for having SJM in the squad before him....
Got to agree with Adam tbh. He should be in the squad before McGinn. Simple as. Adam is a very good player.

pontius pilate
08-11-2016, 11:52 AM

Ive not seen him name SJM in any report that ive read about this palava. I have to agree with him on some points though. especially when he mentions that if he was a player who went to malta and slovakia and never played yet scott brown just waltzes back intothe squad id be raging also. We have all debated on here that strachan is not picking the inform players either

Gordy M
08-11-2016, 11:59 AM
Ive not seen him name SJM in any report that ive read about this palava. I have to agree with him on some points though. especially when he mentions that if he was a player who went to malta and slovakia and never played yet scott brown just waltzes back intothe squad id be raging also. We have all debated on here that strachan is not picking the inform players either

No he didnt name him but im sure he is the only 'league 1 in scotland' (as quoted by Adam) player thats in the scotland squad.

Danderhall Hibs
08-11-2016, 12:01 PM
No he didnt name him but im sure he is the only 'league 1 in scotland' (as quoted by Adam) player thats in the scotland squad.

Well technically he isn't but I suppose he's the closest to it!

Chick Young was on the radio last night saying SJM should be starting on Friday.

brog
08-11-2016, 01:02 PM

I can understand his logic to an extent in that bar Rhodes they're all on the wrong side of 30. It's his contradictory comments that do my head in though. Last season he said he couldn't pick players who weren't playing for their club yet Alan Hutton & Fletch were in the squad. Of course our wonderful media never queried this. Re SJM I can understand Adam's reaction but against Slovakia SJM produced our only incisive pass of the night in the short time he was on the park.