PDA

View Full Version : Could we struggle to readapt to the top flight when we're promoted?

Northernhibee
05-11-2016, 07:56 PM
I don't want to tempt fate but assuming we're promoted this season it'll be three years we're out of the top flight. Could we struggle once back up after not being used to the style of play required week in week out? It's one thing being out of the league for one or even two seasons but it's quite some time. I do tend to think that Stubbsy would have us top 3-4 in the SPL with the team he built and that was the problem - it wasn't a team built for this league. I really hope we can adapt quickly and not have a team in the top flight that's designed for the second tier.

matty_f
05-11-2016, 07:57 PM
I'd like to think we'd be OK. Let's get there and see what happens.

Diclonius
05-11-2016, 07:59 PM
Stubbs' team would have no problem competing in the top division - not so sure about this one. I think we'd be bottom six first season and we can take it from there.

We haven't played any Premiership teams this season so I guess that would be the marker.

ano hibby
05-11-2016, 08:03 PM
You just did tempt fate.

Sir David Gray
05-11-2016, 08:09 PM
I reckon we would be able to keep the momentum going into next season and be able to attract the type of players that could see us in the top four or five in the Premiership.

I do believe this team isn't far away from being good enough to play at the top level and I'm sure Lennon will shortly be identifying players for next season, with a view to playing in the Premiership again.

Thecat23
05-11-2016, 08:11 PM
Yeah considering the ***** in the top flight.

Onion
05-11-2016, 08:18 PM
Think we'll need to add some physical strength to the side and some goals from midfield/strikers. Over a season, our inability to put the ball in the net would cost us dearly against Prem teams.

iwasthere1972
05-11-2016, 08:18 PM
Well for what it's worth we've already beat half the teams in the so called top league while being a Championship side.

Highland_Hibee
05-11-2016, 08:25 PM
Let's face it there is plenty dross in the league above. The fact that teams like Hibs, Dundee Utd and even Falkirk find themselves at this level is a real show of mismanagement and taking your status for granted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Golden Bear
05-11-2016, 08:33 PM
Nope. Top 4 finish should not be beyond our ambitions. The hardest part will be gaining promotion, nothing can be taken for granted.

lord bunberry
05-11-2016, 08:37 PM
Yeah considering the ***** in the top flight.
Exactly! I would say that around 60-70% of the players playing in the premiership wouldn't get a game for us. If we win the league I expect us to be in a strong position to be able to invest in the squad and be competitive.

Kojock
05-11-2016, 08:41 PM
Watched Partick v Sheep last night and have no doubts we would be in the top half.

lord bunberry
05-11-2016, 08:42 PM
If we don't win the premiership next season Lennon can gtf.

WhileTheChief..
05-11-2016, 08:43 PM
Team could be vastly different by next summer so absolutely no way of knowing.

Oscar T Grouch
05-11-2016, 08:57 PM
There are a lot of players out of contract at the end of the season. The GK is on loan. McGinn and Cummings could have bids in for them. Essentially we could see a whole new team next year, we just don't know. I think we will resign quite a few of the players at the end of their contract, so it will probably be a similar team as we have with a few additions. I think the current squad would be fighting for a Euro place if the were in the Premiership at the moment. Last year we seemed to click against Premiership sides, maybe due to them being less defensive as Championship teams are against us. I may have green tinted specs but we have some great players at this club, players who would walk into any bar a couple of sides in the Premiership.

B.H.F.C
05-11-2016, 09:11 PM
Just build a team to get us up. Then once we are there, build a team to compete in that league. Don't care about fancy football this year it just needs to be effective.

I also think the gap between the top of the championship and about half of the premiership is minimal, if there even is one. For instance, would Ross County, Partick, Killie etc be winning every week if they were in our position?

IberianHibernian
05-11-2016, 09:24 PM
First of all it`s IF not WHEN we`re promoted . We`re only 3 points clear of Dundee United and have played 3 of the weaker teams in the second round of fixtures . Secondly as others have said ou team could be completely different if we go up ( and even more so if we don`t ) since some may leave ( loanees back to their clubs , others not good enough for higher divison etc ) and I`d be surprised if Lennon is still our manager next season whatever division we`re in . Having said that , I`d expect a newly-promoted Hibs team with present level or even better support to have a team that would be challenging for top 4 from the start . Doesn`t mean we`d make top 4 or even top 6 ( look at 2013 when we played some great stuff but were victims of bad luck and terrible refereeing and finished 7th ) but would hope to be challenging for Europe .

Gogs07
05-11-2016, 10:03 PM
After watching the 'top league' highlights recently, even St Midden would finish top 6.

buktadays
05-11-2016, 10:27 PM
We are carrying a pressure in this league which effects the crowd and is also definitely felt throughout the squad. This is a huge factor I think in the resulting fashion of play. Without that weight hopefully we would loosen up and easily compete with them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacomo
05-11-2016, 10:48 PM
There are a lot of players out of contract at the end of the season. The GK is on loan. McGinn and Cummings could have bids in for them. Essentially we could see a whole new team next year, we just don't know. I think we will resign quite a few of the players at the end of their contract, so it will probably be a similar team as we have with a few additions. I think the current squad would be fighting for a Euro place if the were in the Premiership at the moment. Last year we seemed to click against Premiership sides, maybe due to them being less defensive as Championship teams are against us. I may have green tinted specs but we have some great players at this club, players who would walk into any bar a couple of sides in the Premiership.

True. This is the best squad we've had for years. Stubbs left us a good bunch.

Jack
05-11-2016, 11:47 PM
Think we'll need to add some physical strength to the side and some goals from midfield/strikers. Over a season, our inability to put the ball in the net would cost us dearly against Prem teams.

I'd agree over the distant past but with yesterday's 3 zip win and a goal difference of 33% better than our closest rivals can I be the first to say, as previously probably one of our worst critics for not scoring, I think we may maybe possibly hopefully eeek squeak have turned the scoring corner.

Keep this up we'll be 70 odd goals scored and with a tight fisted defence around 40 goals to the good, thanks Darren n Hanlon!

I'd still like us to aim for triple figures. Goals scored or even better difference I don't mind :-)

Scouse Hibee
05-11-2016, 11:55 PM
Stubbs' team would have no problem competing in the top division - not so sure about this one. I think we'd be bottom six first season and we can take it from there.

We haven't played any Premiership teams this season so I guess that would be the marker.

Yet Stubbs' team couldn't get into the top division so why assume they would have no problems competing in it. If you are referring to the cup successes over SPL teams as your proof, then I think you are forgetting cup games are totally different to competing over a whole season.

Dashing Bob S
06-11-2016, 12:33 AM
Wouldn't assume we will be up. Dundee Utd could easily win the league and we could lose the play off.

R'Albin
06-11-2016, 12:35 AM
Wouldn't assume we will be up. Dundee Utd could easily win the league and we could lose the play off.

:agree:

I would call the two teams about even at the moment taking into account points, form and the teams played so far in this round of fixtures.

NAE NOOKIE
06-11-2016, 01:31 AM
There isn't a great deal of difference between the top 4 or so in the Championship and the bottom 6 in the Premiership. But Hibs aren't used to playing teams who face tough opposition every week ..... play the likes of Killie and their last 3 games could have been Celtic, Aberdeen and St Johnstone ..... that toughens players up a lot more than playing the likes of Dumbarton, Morton and St Mirren every other week, in view of that I think we would take some time to adapt to the different pressures and teams who are, if not more attacking, are probably more likely to take the chances they do get.

I think we would be comfortably mid table with the team we have at the moment, but we probably would need to recruit some players with Premiership experience ....... Lets face it, if John McGinn comes on against Engerlund on Friday and does well folk are going to start taking notice, the good news is that it would not be unreasonable to ask for at least two million for him, edging closer to three if we can start a bidding war.

majorhibs
06-11-2016, 02:46 AM
I don't want to tempt fate but assuming we're promoted this season it'll be three years we're out of the top flight. Could we struggle once back up after not being used to the style of play required week in week out? It's one thing being out of the league for one or even two seasons but it's quite some time. I do tend to think that Stubbsy would have us top 3-4 in the SPL with the team he built and that was the problem - it wasn't a team built for this league. I really hope we can adapt quickly and not have a team in the top flight that's designed for the second tier.

Nae time to go down it all- but what a dreamer you always are wi your posts- northern cuckoo land?

AZhibee
06-11-2016, 04:16 AM

I will not struggle to readapt, I am fully prepared.

Phil MaGlass
06-11-2016, 05:29 AM
we will not struggle in the Premier, our team is setup for it, were finding it difficult because teams are just sitting back defending, if we had more attacking minded teams like in the Premier we would be alright, absolutely no doubt about that.

Mind you, I,m a skoosher

lucky
06-11-2016, 06:01 AM
We will win this league and as for competing, have you seen the standard of the premiership? Take Celtic out of it and we'd be competing for second this season.

Earl of Currie
06-11-2016, 08:21 AM

Exactly , if you look at the top teams in the league they would bully us off the ball , particulalry in midfield.
We have a team to get out of this league , same team in the Premiership next year would be bottom 3.

Am not encouraging the agricultural football shown by oher teams , but we would definitely have to add half a dozen players who can play at a quicker , stronger level which would compliment the handful of our players just now who can play at a top end SPL level.

BoomtownHibees
06-11-2016, 08:23 AM
Exactly , if you look at the top teams in the league they would bully us off the ball , particulalry in midfield.
We have a team to get out of this league , same team in the Premiership next year would be bottom 3.

Am not encouraging the agricultural football shown by oher teams , but we would definitely have to add half a dozen players who can play at a quicker , stronger level which would compliment the handful of our players just now who can play at a top end SPL level.

A midfield that has Bartley, Fyvie, McGinn and Mcgeouch would not get bullied

Oscar T Grouch
06-11-2016, 08:32 AM

You think there are 9 teams in the Premiership who have a better midfield squad than Bartley, McGinn, Fyfie, McGeough, Shinnie, Martin and Harris?
Can I ask which teams you think these are?

Brightside
06-11-2016, 08:49 AM

Does anyone watch the SPL? Its utter horse ****. If we weren't top 4 I'd be embarrassed

emerald green
06-11-2016, 10:36 AM
To start speculating about how Hibs might get on in the Premier League (if they gain promotion) at this stage of the season in the Championship is ridiculous. For example, all it takes is injuries to key players, and a whole season can be derailed.

Hibs players and coaches just need to concentrate on getting out of the Championship this season. Focus fully on that.

If it's obvious in the latter stages of the season that promotion is going to happen, then planning will no doubt be going on in the background for life back in the top league where a club of Hibs stature belongs.

HibsNutter
06-11-2016, 10:40 AM
If we maintain the same ambition in recruitment when we're promoted as we have shown since LD came in then we'll be pushing for Europe.

Keith_M
06-11-2016, 11:26 AM
What's our record against Premiership teams over the last two seasons?

KeithTheHibby
06-11-2016, 12:14 PM

Have you seen some of the ***** in that top league? We will settle in no problem. Top six without a doubt.

ancient hibee
06-11-2016, 07:10 PM
We'll do what Hearts and Rangers did and bring in at least half a dozen new players.

HibsNutter
06-11-2016, 07:25 PM
What's our record against Premiership teams over the last two seasons?

Won:

-Ross County (2-0) LC
-Aberdeen (2-0) LC
-Dundee United (3-0) LC
-St. Johnstone (2-1) LC
-Hearts (1-0) SC
-Inverness (2-1) SC

Drawn:

Dundee United (3-3, lost on pens) LC
Dundee United (0-0, won on pens) SC
Hearts (2-2, I know, it didn't feel like a draw) SC
Inverness (1-1) SC

Lost:

Ross County (2-1) LC

So in eleven matches against Premiership teams since relegation, we have lost one. Due to a flukey last minute counter-attack. Pretty good going.

hfc rd
06-11-2016, 07:28 PM
Won:

-Ross County (2-0) LC
-Aberdeen (2-0) LC
-Dundee United (3-0) LC
-St. Johnstone (2-1) LC
-Hearts (1-0) SC
-Inverness (2-1) SC

Drawn:

Inverness (1-1) SC

Lost:

Ross County (2-1) LC

So in eleven matches against Premiership teams since relegation, we have lost one. Due to a flukey last minute counter-attack. Pretty good going.

I'm sure the Dundee United game we won in the LC was 4-0? Gray, Malonga, Cummings & Stevenson.

High-On-Hibs
06-11-2016, 07:36 PM
If we get promoted this season, I reckon we could finish in the top 3. The top league is vastly overrated and if we go on a long running winning streak, i'd expect it to carry over onto the next season.

Stax
06-11-2016, 07:39 PM

Don't want to tempt fate as we have to get out this league first but...Bottom 3? The premiership and a lot of the teams in it are honking. I wouldn't swap our midfield and more importantly our manager for most of the teams in it. Ross county fluked it in the league up final against us and apart from that we've beat or drawn anyone we've played against. The fact sevco needed 3 points to go 2d today shows how poor the standard is. But, we are we are where we are and need to go up & prove it.

Big L
06-11-2016, 07:47 PM
The style of football we played under Stubbs, that brought us great results against Premiership clubs and won the cup is not what's on show now! Lennon has us playing a more pressing game with a lot more hard graft and if that's what is required to get us out of this league then I'm ok wi that. The time to access the squad and the style of play will be when we get up! The squad will change, their will be comings and goings, we have to trust in NL to get it right, if he doesn't, we can bring Stubbs back EH!!

muzzhfc
06-11-2016, 07:53 PM
dont think we need to worry about us "coping". most teams in this league park the bus against us. in the "big league" the games would be more open. just need to take the chances. keep up the attendances of this season, higher revenue = higher caliber of player. of course depending on the manager signing the correct players.

majorhibs
07-11-2016, 01:47 AM
Having wirnessed almost all last 2 promotion campaigns, & bearing that in mind, I am glad I am most of the time on the other side of the planet where the zoomers & dreamers dinnae really take effect. I loved every saturday before, was heavyy but rewarding as we muscled it out for promotion, but I am glad the now I am 6k miles away while Neil Lennon selects the team, so I dinnae have to listen live to the slavers & yese ken who yese are, but this support compare to last support? In their ain minds.

GreenLake
07-11-2016, 05:12 AM
We will skoosh the premier league.

ian cruise
07-11-2016, 07:06 AM
I have no doubt we'd be top 4 in the premier league. A few have said that they'd feel confident Stubbs team would but not the way NL has us playing, however unless I'm wrong one of the early criticisms of this season was that we were playing exactly the same as the seasons before and if we did that we would struggle to go up yet again. Neil has adapted to the league we are in but if playing the way we did the two previous seasons is what is required next season then it's well within both his, and the players ability to do so.

The players we have are better than almost all of those playing the teams in the league above us in every area and our recruitment strategy has definitely been more hit than miss of late once the players take a bit of time to bed in, I know we'd all love them to hit the ground running but it's just not possible all the time.

We'll be fine when we do go up, the gap between the two leagues is pretty much non existent

matty_f
07-11-2016, 07:11 AM
I have no doubt we'd be top 4 in the premier league. A few have said that they'd feel confident Stubbs team would but not the way NL has us playing, however unless I'm wrong one of the early criticisms of this season was that we were playing exactly the same as the seasons before and if we did that we would struggle to go up yet again. Neil has adapted to the league we are in but if playing the way we did the two previous seasons is what is required next season then it's well within both his, and the players ability to do so.

The players we have are better than almost all of those playing the teams in the league above us in every area and our recruitment strategy has definitely been more hit than miss of late once the players take a bit of time to bed in, I know we'd all love them to hit the ground running but it's just not possible all the time.

We'll be fine when we do go up, the gap between the two leagues is pretty much non existent

I don't think it's non-existent, the results of the last two play-off finals would suggest that there is still a step up.

tamig
07-11-2016, 07:15 AM

Good point. With more or less the same midfield last season we were blown away in the middle of the park whenever we came up against a top flight side in our two cup runs. What nonsense.

blackpoolhibs
07-11-2016, 07:20 AM
This exact team would comfortably stay up, i don't think they would set the league on fire but they would be nowhere near trouble.

Although the question is really a bit pointless, as in January we will strengthen, and again in the summer we will bring in even more hopefully better quality signings.

If we win the league, then come the start of next season, we will probably see a significant difference in team selection than we do now.

ian cruise
07-11-2016, 07:38 AM
I don't think it's non-existent, the results of the last two play-off finals would suggest that there is still a step up.

However the two teams who gave won automatic promotion have gone in to the top half of that league. I'd suggest the play off results show the impact of the extra games the clubs in the first division need to play to get there rather than the quality off the two leagues.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
07-11-2016, 10:25 AM

Agree about Stubbs.

--------
07-11-2016, 11:17 AM
Let's get back up there first .... :pray:

The Modfather
07-11-2016, 11:52 AM
A midfield that has Bartley, Fyvie, McGinn and Mcgeouch would not get bullied

They Might not get bullied but it would be a midfield with no width or goals.

MWHIBBIES
07-11-2016, 12:14 PM
They Might not get bullied but it would be a midfield with no width or goals.but 4 Scottish cup winners medals? Can't be that bad.

matty_f
07-11-2016, 12:16 PM
However the two teams who gave won automatic promotion have gone in to the top half of that league. I'd suggest the play off results show the impact of the extra games the clubs in the first division need to play to get there rather than the quality off the two leagues.

Could be that, but I wouldn't dismiss the jump in quality either. I suspect both played a part in the results.

where'stheslope
07-11-2016, 01:04 PM
I like this kind of thread as it gives you a good idea of what supporters think.
The counting chickens is a disaster waiting to happen, and how easy it will be if we go up is another.
Look at the mob over the city, 3rd in their first season up, and sitting in 4 place now and wanting their manager sacked????
It a simple case of wanting to much to soon, play the patient game as the other compounds pressure that is not needed or wanted!!!

Bostonhibby
07-11-2016, 01:08 PM
We'll be fine, the yam will scrape top six and they've barely put a glove on us in the last six meetings.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

The Modfather
07-11-2016, 01:49 PM
but 4 Scottish cup winners medals? Can't be that bad.

Who said they were bad? The four midfielders mentioned are all good players but it's been proven they rarely score and are all play very narrow.

Doesn't mean we couldn't be successful with that midfield, just means we would need to sign two fullbacks who are as good as Gray and Stevenson defensively but who's games are also suited to being the main attacking outlets.

HIBERNIAN-0762
07-11-2016, 01:51 PM
I don't think we need worry, poor teams like the yams, murderwell, the jags killie pies, Hamilton will prove little resistance.

Centre Hawf
07-11-2016, 01:58 PM
The standard is poor but lets not pretend we're much better than it. We've been beaten at home to Ayr and bottom placed St Mirren already this season. We're starting to click a little bit now but I still think as it stands we would struggle to make top 6. But we'd be safe.

JimBHibees
07-11-2016, 03:25 PM
The standard is poor but lets not pretend we're much better than it. We've been beaten at home to Ayr and bottom placed St Mirren already this season. We're starting to click a little bit now but I still think as it stands we would struggle to make top 6. But we'd be safe.

And weve beaten Hearts, Aberdeen, Inverness, Rangers, St Johnstone etc in cups recently so more than capable of competing and doing well.

Northernhibee
07-11-2016, 03:37 PM
And weve beaten Hearts, Aberdeen, Inverness, Rangers, St Johnstone etc in cups recently so more than capable of competing and doing well.

Tell me more about the win against Rangers. Not seen it mentioned on here before.

BoomtownHibees
07-11-2016, 03:53 PM
Who said they were bad? The four midfielders mentioned are all good players but it's been proven they rarely score and are all play very narrow.

Doesn't mean we couldn't be successful with that midfield, just means we would need to sign two fullbacks who are as good as Gray and Stevenson defensively but who's games are also suited to being the main attacking outlets.

And nobody said they would give width or score goals. The reply was to the point that our midfield would be "bullied" in the Premiership

IWasThere2016
07-11-2016, 04:11 PM
Was at Dundee-Motherwell on Saturday .. yes free hospy before anyone starts :cb .. and the standard is nothing to fear.

Keith_M
07-11-2016, 04:16 PM
Won:

-Ross County (2-0) LC
-Aberdeen (2-0) LC
-Dundee United (3-0) LC
-St. Johnstone (2-1) LC
-Hearts (1-0) SC
-Inverness (2-1) SC

Drawn:

Inverness (1-1) SC

Lost:

Ross County (2-1) LC

Cheers,

So it's: W-6, D-4, L-1.

Not a bad record.

ancient hibee
07-11-2016, 04:25 PM

Both teams made plenty signings and are not the same teams that played in this league.

Smartie
07-11-2016, 04:42 PM
We will skoosh the premier league.

Rather than "adapt to the premier league" and settle into our usual mid-table position, it would be great if we blew our way right though it by not accepting anything less than a win every week.

Since90+2
07-11-2016, 04:52 PM
We have shown in one off games we are capable of beating any side (possibly bar Celtic) in the Premiership but I have my doubts how consistent this current side would be in the top league.

The current squad I reckon would probably finish about 6th.

Ringothedog
07-11-2016, 05:07 PM
Tell me more about the win against Rangers. Not seen it mentioned on here before.

It was towards the end of the season a five goal thriller which we won 3-2, the winner was scored by Gunnarson :flag:

DTS
07-11-2016, 05:22 PM
Cheers,

So it's: W-6, D-4, L-1.

Not a bad record.

Would translate to 21 points from 11 games which would be joint second in the current premiership table with a game in hand, yes it's not an accurate comparison but shows we'd be comfortable with the step up

07-11-2016, 05:30 PM
Threads like this are totally pointless. It's November and we're top of the league by a meagre 3 points FFS! Hatched. Chickens. Eggs. Counting.

Thecat23
07-11-2016, 05:31 PM

We'd be top 5 no bother. I honestly don't get how folk think we are worse than the Yams etc when we have proven we can beat the best in that league like when the Dons came calling.

Bostonhibby
07-11-2016, 06:21 PM

It was The rangers, the team that replaced the now defunct Glasgow rangers. They were playing us in their first ever Scottish Cup final. There was a moment when some guy called halliday was signalling they'd won it.

Indeed, the owner of the new the rangers model instructed his police force and lickspittles from the Glasgow football association that they better get along to ibrox pronto as he was opening the gates to celebrate this famous win.

I wouldn't mind betting that they had already sanctioned the printing of what would be annual number 4 for the 4 year old team and some printer has been left with half a million with a 2-1 Scottish cup win in it that he hasn't been paid for.

What happened next was that Stokes was on fire and Tavernier forgot to jump, keirnan was too old to jump, and Lee Wallace was taking statements at the time.

Henderson delivered, the the's bottle was gone and not one was brave enough to challenge David Gray's supremacy in the box. The cup wasn't going to Ibrox, never was, Karma.

superfurryhibby
07-11-2016, 07:39 PM
Some Tom Kite on this thread.

i'm not really sure what the Stubb's team and Lennon's stuff team is really based on, given the squad is predominantely the same. Ok, Stokes and Logan have gone and Holt and Shinnie have come in? Some tactical shift, maybe. Some of the same weaknesses, definitely. Key strengths, no questions.

We showed that we had what it took to beat Spl sides and the Huns regularly, funny how we weren't bullied off the ball in those games! Aye, we also failed in some key games and had a ****ty spell which we've had again since, but overall I've not got many doubts as to the quality of this team. They are mostly experienced and battle hardened professionals and there is good spirt in them, bottom three? My erse