PDA

View Full Version : Fontaine

Highland_Hibee
03-11-2016, 12:05 PM
Never see much fuss made over his performances, I suppose he drifts in and out of the team with injuries etc but he always puts in a solid show.

I think he is a great defender and is more composed on the ball than McGregor or Hanlon.

A lot of fans don't like the formation but I think we are a much better unit at the back when all 3 play.

I personally think we are very lucky to have 3 centre halfs as good as them. Reckon any of them would improve any defence in the league above bar Celtcs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken
03-11-2016, 12:22 PM
I rate Hanlon and McGregor higher than him, but I think he is a very good defender, so delighted to have all 3 :agree:

Brightside
03-11-2016, 01:44 PM
Never see much fuss made over his performances, I suppose he drifts in and out of the team with injuries etc but he always puts in a solid show.

I think he is a great defender and is more composed on the ball than McGregor or Hanlon.

A lot of fans don't like the formation but I think we are a much better unit at the back when all 3 play.

I personally think we are very lucky to have 3 centre halfs as good as them. Reckon any of them would improve any defence in the league above bar Celtcs.

I like the 3 at the back, but i want us to move to 343 in time. Daz is solid but not the best passer of the ball, Hanlon is a more cultured and a great passer of the ball for a defender. Fonts is somewhere in between. Its a good back 3.

J-C
03-11-2016, 01:50 PM
I like the 3 at the back as it gives freedom to the 2 wingbacks to go forward more and we don't need a sitting midfielder which allows the 3 midfielders to get further forward and onto the front foot.

CapitalGreen
03-11-2016, 01:58 PM
I like when he has Hanlon and Daz alongside him to pass the ball off to as his distribution from the back is woeful. Good defender though and that's what he is paid to do.

MWHIBBIES
03-11-2016, 02:02 PM
I like when he has Hanlon and Daz alongside him to pass the ball off to as his distribution from the back is woeful. Good defender though and that's what he is paid to do.
Fontaine is 10x better on the ball than McGregor imo.

JDHibs
03-11-2016, 02:14 PM
Was saying this at the weekend, having 2 born and bred Hibs fans in the defence has really helped us. Having someone with the experience of Fontaine is an added bonus.

Very good defender. We look rock solid at the back with them 3 and they have cruised through the past couple of games since we reverted back to the 3.

Smartie
03-11-2016, 02:28 PM
I thought he strolled through the game on Saturday.

He put in a really composed, quiet game and I was impressed.

I like him and think he's been a superb signing. Really good defender and his calmness I think helps our younger players through games.

I just wish he could get a free header from 6 yards on target more often because if he could he'd be good for a "Rob Jones" number of goals for us, which tbh would have come in very handy indeed over the past couple of years. Our criticism of our ability in front of goal shouldn't be restricted to just the strikers and Fontaine has been guilty of profligacy on a good few occasions.

mjhibby
03-11-2016, 03:22 PM
Our dip in form coincided with Fontaine being out the team. Back line seems calmer when he plays. A solid dependable centre half and a nice guy to boot.

cabbageandribs1875
03-11-2016, 03:30 PM
big cheesy grin on liam fonataine's face at the dunfy game, a fan shouted out his name at a break in play and shouted 'liam fontaine...nail that runt' :)

green day
03-11-2016, 04:06 PM
Our dip in form coincided with Fontaine being out the team. Back line seems calmer when he plays. A solid dependable centre half and a nice guy to boot.

Aye, exactly this - what I like about Fonts is he is very relaxed on the ball, never panics and (as mentioned above) has better distribution than Daz.

Overall though, I think that three are a great combo and allow Gray and Lewis to do their thing going forward.

I really really like the shape at the moment.

Something else to point out - Marciano, although some of his kicks are unusual, again he is a big composed player - and I think the defence trust him, which is brilliant.

Highland_Hibee
03-11-2016, 05:06 PM
Something else to point out - Marciano, although some of his kicks are unusual, again he is a big composed player - and I think the defence trust him, which is brilliant.

I certainly want to think so, haven't seen enough of him to make my mind up. Not that I want him having to make save after save just to prove a point. If he quietly goes about his work and we get promoted I see no reason why we shouldn't be signing him beyond his loan spell.

tamig
03-11-2016, 05:53 PM
Aye, exactly this - what I like about Fonts is he is very relaxed on the ball, never panics and (as mentioned above) has better distribution than Daz.

Overall though, I think that three are a great combo and allow Gray and Lewis to do their thing going forward.

Agreed. We look a much better side with Fontaine playing as part of a back three. I think they'll only get better as they build up the relationship with Marciano. Think the Dunfermline game the other week was the first all four had started together.

ian cruise
03-11-2016, 07:42 PM
Fontaine is one of those players that if he 2as in many of the Hibs teams we've had to watch in the past he'd be a stand out, but he's come along at a time when it's widely accepted Hanlon has met the potential many believed he had and we've another equally good defender in Darren too. Like other have said, I'm a fan of three at the back and I think all three will get plenty game time one way or the other.

blackpoolhibs
03-11-2016, 07:50 PM

There's one thing i believe sticks out with Rocky, its that whenever a shot goes to him he never seems to spill it.

I like that. :agree:

The Spaceman
03-11-2016, 07:56 PM
He is superb, very solid. If we could get a solid reliable keeper (not saying that Marciano won't become this) then we will be very hard to beat.

gaz1875
03-11-2016, 08:00 PM
I am a big fan of Fontaine, our only centre half that actually makes runs forward when the space opens in front of him. always looks composed even if he does make the odd mistake. His only weak point is scoring, he would be our top scorer if he scored half the headers he hits past the post.

Onceinawhile
04-11-2016, 07:43 AM
Saw him walking his dog on Friday night and had a quick chat with him.

Probably relaxed him enough to perform well. I'll take the credit.

Fergos
04-11-2016, 07:59 AM
Good player, solid & very dependable.

Talks well, comes across as having a respectful attitude to our club.....and a Scottish Cup Winning legend thrown in for good measure!

GGTTH

Blaster
04-11-2016, 08:10 AM
I think he looks fitter this season. At times last season I thought he didn't look as fit as he should have been

Craig_HFC
04-11-2016, 01:44 PM

Hell of a long walk if he's walking his dog in Antwerp

:dizzy:

Borderhibbie76
05-11-2016, 09:27 AM
Are you joking?? Fonts is 10.x better passer of the ball than DMC- and that's no slight as I love the big guy but no way is he more composed on ball than Fonts

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Allant1981
05-11-2016, 12:29 PM

I used to stay in the same street as him and would have a chat quite often, really nice guy, steve banks also stayed about 100 yards away

Highland_Hibee
05-11-2016, 12:57 PM
Our English contingent all seem like decent blokes. Bartley and Fontaine seem to have fit in very well up here and Holt seems like he would fit in anywhere.

NZ Green
05-11-2016, 01:15 PM
The fact that Marciano has barely been talked about so far shows how strong he is. He has had a bunch of clean sheets and has only had one game in the league where he let more than one goal get past him. I would love to see how he gets on in the Premiership.

Highland_Hibee
05-11-2016, 02:26 PM
The fact that Marciano has barely been talked about so far shows how strong he is. He has had a bunch of clean sheets and has only had one game in the league where he let more than one goal get past him. I would love to see how he gets on in the Premiership.

He looks like he should be a good keeper if it's possible to look that way. I thought he looked like the biggest keeper we have had for a while but on seeing the team photo he's not even the 2nd biggest keeper we have right now. [emoji23]

Laidlaw and Virtanen are huge. Not saying that makes a great keeper but it helps.