PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Artice - Scottish Cup Win/Irish woman's Gypsy Curse/Hibs History

California-Hibs
03-11-2016, 06:48 AM
While reading up just a few minutes ago about the Chicago Cubs I saw that a supposed curse was placed on them in the 1950's, which got me thinking to the times I had read on here about a supposed cursed that was placed on our very own Scottish Cup fortunes. I led me to some research.

So I googled - Hibs Gypsy Curse, and I've came across this article.

http://irishpost.co.uk/the-irish-gypsys-curse-on-hibernian-fc-has-finally-been-broken/

It's a very good read! In regards to our history (and please, I don't want this to turn into a heated debate, we all have different feelings regarding our Irish background and lets try and share those feelings in this thread properly and not resort to going at each others throats.) I've always taken a pride and real sense of compassion in our history. Little Ireland (Grassmarket) and all the starving Irish immigrants that were there at the time - the fact that two men wanted to do something that would in some way help the peoples living situation by forming our football club. There really is so much rich history within our club, with not just a Scottish theme, a heavy Irish theme too :aok:

Anyway, was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on, well, the articles main focuses. I do feel like our history splits the support, some happy with the subtle yet sufficient harp on the badge, others happy to see Tri-Colours at games (like the plenty that were at the final) heck, even some that would happily see us return to having the Giant Harp back on the North Stand Entrance, which stood for some 75 years! So where do you stand with it all?

:flag:

greenginger
03-11-2016, 09:05 AM
I think the newspapers timeline needs a bit of work.

It suggests James Connolly was there at the formation of Hibs. Connolly was born in 1868, so he was only 7 years old when the club was formed.

brog
03-11-2016, 09:30 AM
An excellent article but with no offence intended to the OP I think we've more than adequately covered his topic suggestions in many prior threads.

flash
03-11-2016, 09:40 AM
I think with everything going on both in the UK and many other parts there is never a bad time to reflect upon the charitable intentions with which our wonderful club was founded.

Sadly its not an attitude that appears very prevalent in those who wield influence these days.

JimBHibees
03-11-2016, 09:41 AM
I think the newspapers timeline needs a bit of work.

It suggests James Connolly was there at the formation of Hibs. Connolly was born in 1868, so he was only 7 years old when the club was formed.

Maybe a Hibs kid. :dunno: :greengrin

Vini1875
03-11-2016, 10:02 AM
I think with everything going on both in the UK and many other parts there is never a bad time to reflect upon the charitable intentions with which our wonderful club was founded.

Sadly its not an attitude that appears very prevalent in those who wield influence these days.

Nor was it at the time. We had to do it for ourselves and given our history maybe we ought to be looking to see if we can help others in a similar plight.

basehibby
03-11-2016, 10:45 AM
Maybe a Hibs kid. :dunno: :greengrin

James Conolly was a ball boy apparently so would not be surprised if he was aware through his family of the club's inception even if only a lad of 7

WeeRussell
03-11-2016, 11:40 AM
Decent wee read and some history in there I wasnt aware of.

I would however argue that the number of tricolours the author seen at the final may have had more to do with who we were playing against rather than some sort of resurgence of Irish-root enthusiasts.

I personally would rather not see Irish flags in our crowds, and I am more than comfortable with our history and roots.

greenginger
03-11-2016, 12:14 PM

I would however argue that the number of tricolours the author seen at the final may have had more to do with who we were playing against rather than some sort of resurgence of Irish-root enthusiasts.

I personally would rather not see Irish flags in our crowds, and I am more than comfortable with our history and roots.

Not just who we were playing, we had two Irishmen in the team.

chinaman
03-11-2016, 12:27 PM
Not forgetting the IRISH HIBS FANS from Belfast , Cork and Dublin who celebrated with us in the weej and in Edinburgh next day ...when the cup came home.
And they proudly waved there tricolours

Arch Stanton
03-11-2016, 12:46 PM

Yea but, who we were playing was probably the bigger reason. I think it's ironic that it's the Union Jack wavers that do the most importing of Irish history. I'm actually OK about the tricolour for that reason.

Glorious St Pat
03-11-2016, 03:09 PM

I see a 6 page flag debate coming!

Don't want to see Irish flags but comfortable with our roots?

Personally delighted to see the Irish flag and the four province flag at the final. Even saw a stary plough at one point.

And Warburton is still a fanny....

Argylehibby
03-11-2016, 03:09 PM
One of the guys who did the work with the crest on the west was a Jambo, poor guy got a text from a senior person at ER shortly after the final thanking him for his help in us winning the cup!

WeeRussell
03-11-2016, 04:36 PM
I see a 6 page flag debate coming!

Don't want to see Irish flags but comfortable with our roots?

Personally delighted to see the Irish flag and the four province flag at the final. Even saw a stary plough at one point.

And Warburton is still a fanny....

Correct. I don't see any requirement to wave other country's flags in our crowds but am quite comfortable with where our club came from. Nothing more, nothing less. A bit like Dundee United and countless other clubs that have Irish roots.

You're the last poster I will become embroiled in a six page debate about Irish flags with, trust me.

We can agree that Warburton is most definitely a fanny however.

NAE NOOKIE
03-11-2016, 09:54 PM

Absolutely ....... Irish tricolours were not "in abundance" at Hampden on the 21st of May, there was a tiny handful in a Hibs support approaching 23,000 and certainly no more than you would normally see in a game against that particular opposition ... from the north stand half way line to where the east stand joins the main stand at Hampden the retaining wall was covered in Hibs flags, not one of them a tricolour.

I don't mind the odd tricolour, but I don't want to see an abundance of them .... any more than I want to see Erin go bragh flags at Hibs games.

California-Hibs
03-11-2016, 11:01 PM
It's like we're ok to embrace our history a wee bit but the thought of embracing it even more so scares the wits out of some. To the large degree the Celtic factor I believe has mostly done this, but I say F that and F them! We were the 1st and shouldn't let others easily forget it. I'm all for tri-colors at Hibs games and us embracing our history to a larger degree.

Nae Cookie, there was far more Irish Flags on the 21st of May than any other game I've seen with us and Rangers. Easily far more.

IberianHibernian
03-11-2016, 11:11 PM
It's like we're ok to embrace our history a wee bit but the thought of embracing it even more so scares the wits out of some. To the large degree the Celtic factor I believe has mostly done this, but I say F that and F them! We were the 1st and shouldn't let others easily forget it. I'm all for tri-colors at Hibs games and us embracing our history to a larger degree.

Nae Cookie, there was far more Irish Flags on the 21st of May than any other game I've seen with us and Rangers. Easily far more.Agree with all of this . As for flags etc at finals there are generally more Irish flags , shirts with harps etc at all finals whoever the opposition since more long term fans who can`t make so many games are there and it`s a chance to show what our club is about in terms of tradition and roots .

monktonharp
03-11-2016, 11:20 PM
Absolutely ....... Irish tricolours were not "in abundance" at Hampden on the 21st of May, there was a tiny handful in a Hibs support approaching 23,000 and certainly no more than you would normally see in a game against that particular opposition ... from the north stand half way line to where the east stand joins the main stand at Hampden the retaining wall was covered in Hibs flags, not one of them a tricolour.

I don't mind the odd tricolour, but I don't want to see an abundance of them .... any more than I want to see Erin go bragh flags at Hibs games.this, no doubt will end up in a flag debate as usual but, as usual I will say that Erin Go Bragh is the Original quote under the gold Harp of our club's badge.you, like me are quite entitled to your comments re-badge/colours. I tend to be more of the original type. each to their own.

1875STEVE
03-11-2016, 11:26 PM
I don't get why anyone would have a problem with our Irish connections.

What's the problem???

NAE NOOKIE
04-11-2016, 02:13 AM

What's the problem???

I don't think anybody does have a problem with Hibs Irish connections ..... its the extent to which those connections are shown in the present day club and support. These days Hibs are almost exclusively supported by people who see themselves as Scottish, play in the Scottish league and represent Scotland in Europe ..... it would be a bit daft having fans flying flags with 'Ireland forever' on them, even if it was the clubs original motto. It seems to me that these days a lot of groups who make their own flag favour a green & white Saltire, and that to me is a perfect nod to our roots, while retaining the Scottish flavour of the club.

If you support a club that plays in green and white, is called 'Hibernian' and has the Irish harp in its badge, you are gonna have a bit of a problem if you want the club to bury its Irish roots ............ to be honest I don't think anybody does.

givescotlandfreedom
04-11-2016, 02:39 AM
this, no doubt will end up in a flag debate as usual but, as usual I will say that Erin Go Bragh is the Original quote under the gold Harp of our club's badge.you, like me are quite entitled to your comments re-badge/colours. I tend to be more of the original type. each to their own.

It's also a lot more similar to the flag of Ireland are our club's formation. The tricolor didn't come about until 1916.

ACLeith
04-11-2016, 05:59 AM

What's the problem???

If it represents the country of our roots then that's fine, but if ithe motivation of the flag waver is the Roman Catholic angle then I do feel uncomfortable. My family have been supporters for close to 100 years and the only reason we are is geography.

As someone who has been active in the non-RC church all their adult life, being called to my face a f****** fenian b****** by a moronic Hun was a bit ironic. My religious life and football life are separate parts Of me

Scouse Hibee
04-11-2016, 06:17 AM
If it represents the country of our roots then that's fine, but if ithe motivation of the flag waver is the Roman Catholic angle then I do feel uncomfortable. My family have been supporters for close to 100 years and the only reason we are is geography.

As someone who has been active in the non-RC church all their adult life, being called to my face a f****** fenian b****** by a moronic Hun was a bit ironic. My religious life and football life are separate parts Of me

Well said regarding your religious life and football, as I have said many times the two aren't even remotely connected in my own thoughts and nor should they be.

Callyballybe
04-11-2016, 07:10 AM
I don't think anybody does have a problem with Hibs Irish connections ..... its the extent to which those connections are shown in the present day club and support. These days Hibs are almost exclusively supported by people who see themselves as Scottish, play in the Scottish league and represent Scotland in Europe ..... it would be a bit daft having fans flying flags with 'Ireland forever' on them, even if it was the clubs original motto. It seems to me that these days a lot of groups who make their own flag favour a green & white Saltire, and that to me is a perfect nod to our roots, while retaining the Scottish flavour of the club.

If you support a club that plays in green and white, is called 'Hibernian' and has the Irish harp in its badge, you are gonna have a bit of a problem if you want the club to bury its Irish roots ............ to be honest I don't think anybody does.
Great post. Sums up my thoughts exactly.

Jonny1875
04-11-2016, 07:30 AM
It's also a lot more similar to the flag of Ireland are our club's formation. The tricolor didn't come about until 1916.

The tricolour was around long before then, it was gifted to nationalists long before 1916. I'm Irish and never brought an Irish flag to the final however I did see plenty of Scots waving tricolours, any Irish fans I personally know who were there weren't waving tricolours lol, either way who cares... 3-2 and Stokes is forever a Hibs legend.