PDA

View Full Version : Garry O

tamig
01-11-2016, 07:17 PM
I know it's not everyone on here's favourite programme but Sportsound have been plugging an interview with Garry tomorrow that sounds like it will be worth a listen.

Waxy
01-11-2016, 07:42 PM
In what way will it be worth a listen?

Carheenlea
01-11-2016, 07:49 PM

I`ve not got a lot of interest for football these days, but I`ve a lot of interest with anything to do with Hibs. Sure Hibs will feature so I`ll make a point of catching it.

Danderhall Hibs
01-11-2016, 09:58 PM
Hopefully they add it to their podcast.

sleeping giant
01-11-2016, 10:01 PM

Are you kidding ?

.Sean.
01-11-2016, 10:27 PM
Really any need for the arsey reply??

tamig
01-11-2016, 10:37 PM

Like I said, they were plugging it. They spent a bit of time talking about it and said it really sounded like he'd turned his life around now. If you're not interested just don't tune in.

Thecat23
01-11-2016, 10:46 PM

Because if he brings up what went on behind the scenes the night before the 2012 cup final you will hear a very interesting story.

So yeah could be worth a listen!

Sauzee07
01-11-2016, 10:50 PM
Because if he brings up what went on behind the scenes the night before the 2012 cup final you will hear a very interesting story.

Can you elaborate?

oldbutdim
01-11-2016, 10:58 PM
The bitching about bonus payments?

Big L
01-11-2016, 11:00 PM

C'Mon then, Spill !!

Danderhall Hibs
02-11-2016, 06:09 AM
The bitching about bonus payments?

It will be.

Anyway it's not on the podcast so we'll never know.

Carheenlea
02-11-2016, 06:21 AM
It will be.

Anyway it's not on the podcast so we'll never know.

Is it not tonight's show the interview features?

DH1875
02-11-2016, 06:49 AM

And if he doesn't, you can spill the beans.

Thecat23
02-11-2016, 07:37 AM
The whole team were split about the amount of win bonus some were getting. Was getting way out of hand and it defo effected a couple of the players!

Danderhall Hibs
02-11-2016, 08:15 AM
Is it not tonight's show the interview features?

I didn't realise - I hope so!

Danderhall Hibs
02-11-2016, 08:15 AM
The whole team were split about the amount of win bonus some were getting. Was getting way out of hand and it defo effected a couple of the players!

Was it Graham Stack that spoke about it in an interview already?

snooky
02-11-2016, 08:23 AM
Can't believe a player would let a wee thing like money affect his performance in a game as big as that one.
TBH, it would be hard to pick out who the 'couple of players' were given the poor performance of the team as a whole (assuming my memory banks haven't been distorted since that day of trauma).

Thecat23
02-11-2016, 09:01 AM

Not sure but a few have spoke about it since then.

jacomo
02-11-2016, 10:39 AM
Can't believe a player would let a wee thing like money affect his performance in a game as big as that one.
TBH, it would be hard to pick out who the 'couple of players' were given the poor performance of the team as a whole (assuming my memory banks haven't been distorted since that day of trauma).

Makes me rage, considering how much money I spent to watch 75 mins of that match!

But footballers live in a bubble, we all know that. A club should be focused on maximising performance above all else - and as we know, Hibs was a bit of mess from top to bottom at that time.

JimBHibees
02-11-2016, 10:43 AM

In terms of the players not all being offered the same? Is that normal I suppose that it would depend on the contracts of each player however would assume all players would be on the same for winning a trophy with an incremental sliding scale of players that contributed throughout the tournament. Smacks of appalling management that this sort of basic thing would have still been an issue on the eve of one of the biggest games we have ever had. Shambles.

Should have told my brother not to bother coming over from the States for it.

HappyHanlon
02-11-2016, 11:31 AM
The bonus row was instigated by Murray. Fact

snooky
02-11-2016, 11:56 AM

This guy?
http://www.ianmurraymp.co.uk/

02-11-2016, 12:11 PM
In terms of the players not all being offered the same? Is that normal I suppose that it would depend on the contracts of each player however would assume all players would be on the same for winning a trophy with an incremental sliding scale of players that contributed throughout the tournament. Smacks of appalling management that this sort of basic thing would have still been an issue on the eve of one of the biggest games we have ever had. Shambles.

Should have told my brother not to bother coming over from the States for it.

Thats it really. Even if there was disput over who was getting paid what etc. the the players should have been proffessional enough to put it aside and concentrate on the game. Just shows you the type of wage thief losers we had at the time that couldn't give a ****, were simply happy to pick up a wage and be gone.

KeithTheHibby
02-11-2016, 12:55 PM

Just a couple of them?!:greengrin

KeithTheHibby
02-11-2016, 12:56 PM

He wasn't even in the squad so not sure what it had to do with him.

HappyHanlon
02-11-2016, 01:14 PM
He wasn't even in the squad so not sure what it had to do with him.

He wanted win bonus split fairly throughout squad

Iain G
02-11-2016, 01:31 PM
I assume we took the equivalent amount of 'bonus' money out of their pay for losing :confused:

silverhibee
02-11-2016, 01:32 PM

Was it not Gaz that mentioned it on an interview with the BBC sportsound when he slated Fenlon. :dunno:

silverhibee
02-11-2016, 01:41 PM
He wanted win bonus split fairly throughout squad

Was it left down to the players to agree what the win bonus would be.

Since90+2
02-11-2016, 01:57 PM
Bonuses are normally set out at the start of each season and the club Captain will negotiate this on behalf of the squad with the management and board. They would negotiate x amount for Scottish Cup win , League Cup , League winners ect ect.

It says everything about how the club was run at the time that it was still being discussed the night prior to the cup final.

HappyHanlon
02-11-2016, 02:11 PM
Was it left down to the players to agree what the win bonus would be.

A figure was agreed by the club but it was the split of the pot that angered some.

One of the pitfalls of having mercenaries.

If it was all left down to the players then i'd imagine a scene similar to the opening 10 minutes of The Dark Knight.

Billy Whizz
02-11-2016, 06:09 PM
He's on just now

IWasThere2016
02-11-2016, 06:10 PM
He's on just now

Very frank and honest re his issues with Cocaine.

Mikey09
02-11-2016, 06:16 PM
How many times have they mentioned drugs?! Christ all mighty!! Seems to me they're ripping the piss out the lad. Joke.

Mr White
02-11-2016, 06:23 PM
How many times have they mentioned drugs?! Christ all mighty!! Seems to me they're ripping the piss out the lad. Joke.

I'm not listening but if he's willing to talk about it then I can understand them spending a fair bit of the interview on the subject. I remember Andy Mclaren giving some pretty frank interviews about his alcohol issues when still playing. Garry could have potentially still been playing at a high level now if it wasn't for his lifestyle.

Betty Boop
02-11-2016, 06:25 PM
Great interview Garry, really enjoyed that, very honest. All the best to you and your family in the future.

Frazerbob
02-11-2016, 06:30 PM
Very good player for us and should have gone down as a legend. Heard a few folk describe him as not having a bad bone in his body and he seems to be in a decent place now. Definitely seems to have grown up doesn't dwell on his many mistakes......we've all made some. I wish the guy well.........however, these photos of him in Grand Gru after that cup final still stick in my craw.

.Sean.
02-11-2016, 06:46 PM
Will this be available online anywhere??

Betty Boop
02-11-2016, 06:52 PM
https://twitter.com/bbcsportsound?lang=en-gb

wookie70
02-11-2016, 06:53 PM
I had a bit of a downer on Garry O before listening to that. I have changed my opinion now. He came over as a decent bloke who had made some bad choices who never looked to blame anyone but himself. It sounded like his generosity has caused quite a few issues for him although that may not be the way he would describe it. Hope he makes it at a manager and maybe he will come back for a third time.

The Harp
02-11-2016, 07:21 PM
Thought he came across really well in that interview and sounded a likeable kind of guy. We all make mistakes and he's made more than most but he seems to be in a good place now. Hopefully, his dark days are behind him and he can carve a successful career for himself in football management.

lucky
02-11-2016, 08:13 PM
Just seen Gary do a quick fire Q&A on BBC twitter feed, he claims Brown and Fenlon had a scuffle in the changing room after the Yam Cup final

blackpoolhibs
02-11-2016, 08:25 PM
Just seen Gary do a quick fire Q&A on BBC twitter feed, he claims Brown and Fenlon had a scuffle in the changing room after the Yam Cup final

I hope Fenlon knocked him into somewhere he'd not been before.

Jonnyboy
02-11-2016, 08:31 PM
I hope Fenlon knocked him into somewhere he'd not been before.

Wherever it was, he'd be 'strugglin' :greengrin

hibbymac
02-11-2016, 09:06 PM

Try link below :aok:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04dzqj4#play

Centre Hawf
03-11-2016, 12:18 AM

I reckon Fenlon had could have been a fiesty wee ****er. Hope he gave that wee jambo fud a struggle.

Carheenlea
03-11-2016, 08:49 AM
Despite Garry O'Connor continually stating he was not an addict and simply a recreational drug user, the questioning at times was as if he was a cocaine dependant junkie. "Did you ever play while high?"
Throw in the obviously fabricated question about an unnamed Scotland International making some negative comment about O'Connor's personality, and it all sounded like they were taking great pleasure at someone's misfortune. Thankfully Garry O'Connor didn't rise to the bait, and talked candidly about his life and did so with some dignity.

Baldy Foghorn
03-11-2016, 08:58 AM
Got into a spat earlier this year with GO, as he was manager of Selkirk, basically telling his players to kick lumps out of our youngsters, in a friendly...

I pulled him up, and his retort was "have you seen me play?"....Yes Gary every game for Hibs, to which he responded "F-off ya baldy C"....Magic:greengrin

snooky
03-11-2016, 05:23 PM
Got into a spat earlier this year with GO, as he was manager of Selkirk, basically telling his players to kick lumps out of our youngsters, in a friendly...

I pulled him up, and his retort was "have you seen me play?"....Yes Gary every game for Hibs, to which he responded "F-off ya baldy C"....Magic:greengrin

Always had my suspicions that he was a baldist. :wink:

Baldy Foghorn
03-11-2016, 05:43 PM

:greengrin

oneone73
03-11-2016, 07:33 PM

That would explain his bust-up with Williamson.