PDA

View Full Version : Kleton Perntreou

high bee
30-10-2016, 08:25 PM
I knew we had released him last year but didn't realise he ended up at Crystal Palace.

Is this one we're likely to regret or is the consensus that he wasn't good enough?

NikGunnarsson
30-10-2016, 10:44 PM
One of the interesting ones, they obviously see something in him he has played every Under 23 BPL game this season.

monktonharp
30-10-2016, 11:00 PM
I knew we had released him last year but didn't realise he ended up at Crystal Palace.

Is this one we're likely to regret or is the consensus that he wasn't good enough?I did not realise we released him. then again, I did not know who he was. s he a goalie, perchance?

Pretty Boy
31-10-2016, 05:52 AM
Never thought much of him in the 20s. Lòoked a nervous type and recall at least 3 games, 1 against Hearts, in which he made costly mistakes.

The luxury of being in the money rich EPL for a club like Crystal Palace is it means they can take a punt on a youngish player they may see something they can work with in. For Hibs, where money is very tight, we don't have that option. He was too old for the 20s and not even close to being ready for the 1st team so keeping him wasn't an option.

lord bunberry
31-10-2016, 06:07 AM
Never thought much of him in the 20s. Lòoked a nervous type and recall at least 3 games, 1 against Hearts, in which he made costly mistakes.

The luxury of being in the money rich EPL for a club like Crystal Palace is it means they can take a punt on a youngish player they may see something they can work with in. For Hibs, where money is very tight, we don't have that option. He was too old for the 20s and not even close to being ready for the 1st team so keeping him wasn't an option.
This is why we should go back to the reserve league. I've no idea if this guy will make it, but the nature of the current system means we're forced to make a decision on players at an early age.

BSEJVT
31-10-2016, 06:44 AM
This is why we should go back to the reserve league. I've no idea if this guy will make it, but the nature of the current system means we're forced to make a decision on players at an early age.

I cant agree with that

If someone hasn't made it by the time they are too old for the 20's in my view they are unlikely too.

All that going back to the reserves would do is give some managers the excuse to clog them up with guys they couldn't make their minds up about and would further stifle young talent that should be breaking through,

Northernhibee
31-10-2016, 06:47 AM
I cant agree with that

If someone hasn't made it by the time they are too old for the 20's in my view they are unlikely too.

All that going back to the reserves would do is give some managers the excuse to clog them up with guys they couldn't make their minds up about and would further stifle young talent that should be breaking through,

Darren McGregor may disagree with you on that first point.

Scouse Hibee
31-10-2016, 06:52 AM

As will many others in the game who have stepped up late.

H18sry
31-10-2016, 07:22 AM
I cant agree with that

Pretty sure the likes of Jamie Vardy and Ian Wight would disagree

BSEJVT
31-10-2016, 08:14 AM
Great, so you can name half a dozen guys who are very much the exception to the rule.

There are literally thousands of others who have passed through Hibs youth system alone who would prove otherwise.

You could take the youth cup winning team as a prime example.

These guys can be picked up second time around and I have been really pleased that Hibs have casted the net a bit wider with Insall & Peters

Admittedly none of them have worked out (yet with Insall), but then again there hasn't been much came through the youth system for quite a while either

Are you seriously suggesting that we keep our youth players for ever and a day in the hope that one of them may turn out to be the next Jamie Vardy or Darren McGregor?

Its not economically viable for one thing.

If 20's too young to tell, what age would you suggest keeping them to?

23, 25,

You would be extremely hard pushed to name me one player who came through Hibs ranks in the last 20 years who we released who has gone on to make us regret that decision.

Leigh Griffiths is the only one that comes to mind, but as I understand it he was let go at the time for other than footballing reasons, i.e. he was a bammer.

The only other possibilities I can think of are:

Booth
Wotherspoon
Scougall
McNulty?

None of whom would get a game in this Hibs team or many of its predecessors

J-C
31-10-2016, 09:33 AM
Great, so you can name half a dozen guys who are very much the exception to the rule.

There are literally thousands of others who have passed through Hibs youth system alone who would prove otherwise.

These guys can be picked up second time around and I have been really pleased that Hibs have casted the net a bit wider with Insall & Peters

Admittedly none of them have worked out (yet with Insall), but then again there hasn't been much came through the youth system for quite a while either

Are you seriously suggesting that we keep our youth players for ever and a day in the hope that one of them may turn out to be the next Jamie Vardy or Darren McGregor?

23, 25,

You would be extremely hard pushed to name me one player who came through Hibs ranks in the last 20 years who we released who has gone on to make us regret that decision.

Leigh Griffiths is the only one that comes to mind, but as I understand it he was let go at the time for other than footballing reasons, i.e. he was a bammer.

Booth
Wotherspoon
Scougall
McNulty?

The reserve league gave young guys the chance to go up against seasoned pros and develop their games, playing against lads all of a similar age is all well and good but the step up to 1st team always has them struggling to establish themselves. Stanton and Handling etc have all not made it and are all 20-21 now, they just have not developed enough and many of our better youngsters have been sent out on development loans to gain that 1st experience that they are missing from not playing reserve football.

since90plustwo
31-10-2016, 09:59 AM

23, 25,

Booth
Wotherspoon
Scougall
McNulty?

Scougall & McNulty would walk into this hibs team

erin go bragh
31-10-2016, 10:15 AM

So might Rob Jones 🏆

JDHibs
31-10-2016, 10:22 AM
Hibs dont have the luxury of being able to keep players past 20 years old.

With no reserve league and no chances in the first team they would be wasted and take up resources that could be used elsewhere.

Unfortunately, with letting 5/6 youngsters go every year, we will let some go who will move onto better things. Majority wont. Just the way things are now that we dont have a reserve league.

BSEJVT
31-10-2016, 10:27 AM
Scougall & McNulty would walk into this hibs team

Sorry don't agree

They aren't playing at a significantly better level than we are and afaik both have failed to nail down first team spots and play every week anyway, McNulty being out on loan at the moment iirc to an even lower league club

Who would you drop to accommodate Scougall for example?

lord bunberry
31-10-2016, 11:30 AM
Sorry don't agree

They aren't playing at a significantly better level than we are and afaik both have failed to nail down first team spots and play every week anyway, McNulty being out on loan at the moment iirc to an even lower league club

The thing with the under 20 system is that it forces clubs to make a decision. You're right that in most cases a club will already know by the time a player is that age, but if they are unsure then it comes down to finances. If a player is playing against seasoned pros every week a club will have more of an idea whether the player has what it takes.

WeeRussell
31-10-2016, 12:19 PM

23, 25,

Booth
Wotherspoon
Scougall
McNulty?

Until they are judged unlikely to develop to the standard we require, regardless of age, by those at our club who are qualified to decide.

Boyle89
31-10-2016, 12:51 PM
Only saw him once at Central Park I think. He looked very nervous. Not missing out on much by letting him go.

BSEJVT
31-10-2016, 01:19 PM
Until they are judged unlikely to develop to the standard we require, regardless of age, by those at our club who are qualified to decide.

Is that not what happens now and why we still have over 20's not playing every week?

Itsnoteasy
31-10-2016, 01:50 PM

23, 25,

Booth
Wotherspoon
Scougall
McNulty?

Spot on. Who else is there to shout about from EM.
No one has mentioned Ivan Sproule.

NORTHERNHIBBY
31-10-2016, 04:15 PM
Pretty sure the likes of Jamie Vardy and Ian Wight would disagree

Who else would you include?

WeeRussell
31-10-2016, 05:49 PM
Is that not what happens now and why we still have over 20's not playing every week?

Every squad in the world has people over the age of 20 who don't play every week. I don't understand the issue or the need to put an age limit on players when everyone develops at different ages.

since90plustwo
31-10-2016, 05:54 PM
Sorry don't agree

Ifyou are saing League 1 in England isnt igniicantly bett than the chamionship in scotlad yur having one?? I knew we gave shrewsbury a doing but they are sitting bottom of the pile. Rememberwe hae part time teams in this league where league 1 has massive clubs like Millwall bolton sheff united bradford etc.

McNulty has been loaned to Bradford wo are sitting above Sheff United. In my opinion hes Technically better than JC. Scougall is a great footballer ad would have him playing behind the striker every day of the week. His development was hindered by the new manager but id have him at Hibs any day of the week.

BSEJVT
31-10-2016, 08:11 PM
Ifyou are saing League 1 in England isnt igniicantly bett than the chamionship in scotlad yur having one?? I knew we gave shrewsbury a doing but they are sitting bottom of the pile. Rememberwe hae part time teams in this league where league 1 has massive clubs like Millwall bolton sheff united bradford etc.

McNulty has been loaned to Bradford wo are sitting above Sheff United. In my opinion hes Technically better than JC. Scougall is a great footballer ad would have him playing behind the striker every day of the week. His development was hindered by the new manager but id have him at Hibs any day of the week.

Maybe if folk stopped talking down the Scottish Game we would get on a bit better?

If you are asking me if I think us, Utd and Falkirk (based on last year, I haven't seen them yet this year) at the minimum could more than hold our own in that league the answer would be a resounding yes.

Being a massive club guarantees you nothing.

If Scougall and McNulty are so good why is nobody ever interested in buying them.

Would I swap Scougall for Shinnie, McGinn or Fyvie, not a chance.

How many u21 caps does McNulty have compared to Cummings (this being a non partisan barometer) or how do their respective goal scoring records shape up?

This is a typical case of folk thinking that because joe soap plays in England he must be so much better than what we have in Scotland with nothing but that fanciful idea to back it up.

calumhibee1
31-10-2016, 08:45 PM
Maybe if folk stopped talking down the Scottish Game we would get on a bit better?

If you are asking me if I think us, Utd and Falkirk (based on last year, I haven't seen them yet this year) at the minimum could more than hold our own in that league the answer would be a resounding yes.

Being a massive club guarantees you nothing.

If Scougall and McNulty are so good why is nobody ever interested in buying them.

Would I swap Scougall for Shinnie, McGinn or Fyvie, not a chance.

How many u21 caps does McNulty have compared to Cummings (this being a non partisan barometer) or how do their respective goal scoring records shape up?

This is a typical case of folk thinking that because joe soap plays in England he must be so much better than what we have in Scotland with nothing but that fanciful idea to back it up.

Agree with this 100%. Because we get told constantly by Sky Sports that the English game is so incredible people have started to genuinely believe that our game in Scotland is brutal compared to it. Aberdeen would absolutely hose league one down there with there current squad, the rest of the SPL, and the top 5 in our league would comfortably stay in it with us, Hearts, The Rangers and St Johnstone probably competing at least for a playoff place. The standard down there is pish yet they talk it up to high heavens and get the money because of it while we constantly talk down our game and then sit back and wonder why nobody wants to put money into it.