PDA

View Full Version : Neil Lennon

Babyshamble
30-10-2016, 08:09 PM
Had a discussion earlier with a few of my mates about him.they all go to football regularly.various teams.Raith rovers,Dunfermline mostly. the hatred they have for him really shocked me.a fellow hibs fan said he hated him with a passion also. Why ? Doesn't make sense to me whatsoever.

matty_f
30-10-2016, 08:14 PM
Have to say I had no time for him when he was at Celtc, however I think he generally came across well in the media post-Celtc. I like him now, such is my right as a fickle football fan!

SRHibs
30-10-2016, 08:16 PM
He was a nippy little ***** when he played for and managed Celtic and I used to have no time for him. Can see why others wouldn't like him.

lucky
30-10-2016, 08:17 PM
Still not taken to him. But he's our manager so I back him but I don't like him commenting on all things Celtic

Babyshamble
30-10-2016, 08:19 PM
Still not taken to him. But he's our manager so I back him but I don't like him commenting on all things Celtic

That's the point my mate was saying.he can only answer the questions that's put in front of tho ?

marinello59
30-10-2016, 08:22 PM
its all about winning for him, nothing else matters. He'll never win a popularity contest. He will win us this league though.

Bishop Hibee
He stood up for himself in the face of the most vile sectarian hatred. Holding up a mirror to a dark aspect of Scottish society was never going to be popular with some. I admired him for that. Annoyingly good player too.

Take us up Lenny and walk tall towards the Tynie dug-out next season!

Mr White
Kind of guy you hate if he's with the opposition but is an asset to have on your side imo. He's a spiky character for sure. That maybe brings man management issues at times but if he can nurture the same desire and will to win in his players that he displays himself then that should cover any negative effects. Hopefully.

southsider
30-10-2016, 08:23 PM
He is a winner. Just what we need to get out this league.

green day
30-10-2016, 08:25 PM
Good, if they don't like him it's because he's got under their skin.

I loved Stubbs, but he was maybe too nice at times.

Pretty Boy
30-10-2016, 08:28 PM
People will argue he was disliked because he was a combatitive midfielder who played to his crowd and had a bit much to say for himself. Scottish football history is littered with people like that though and none of them put up with the same kind of shameful stuff Neil Lennon has had to.

There was something deeper about it with Lennon and, certainly in a few cases, it laid the ugly sectarianism of Scottish society out there for all to see.

mjhibby
30-10-2016, 08:30 PM
He is a winner. Just what we need to get out this league.

Exactly. Would Stubbs have dropped Jason. He's getting close to the right formation. If guys hate him it's because they know he's likely to succeed. For the stuff he puts up with I can cut him some slack.

Sir David Gray
30-10-2016, 08:39 PM
He's never been my favourite person in the world whilst he played for, and managed, Celtic. If I'm being honest, those feelings haven't totally changed since then although he's our manager now so he gets my full support for the duration of his time with us and if/when he gets us promoted then I'll be more than happy with him.

Just Jimmy
30-10-2016, 08:41 PM
I can take him or leave him but I care about the badge on the shirt and not the name on the back. Same goes for the manager.

Just win at Hibs and you'll do.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

oldbutdim
30-10-2016, 08:48 PM
Couldn't stand him as a player. Horrible wee **** who dished it out but was incandescent when he got it back and went squealing to the ref for protection.
Smug patronising twat when managing the Smellies and dismissed every team in Scotland bar the 'old firm' just as the media and the guys that ran the game still do.

Now he's 'family' and I've got his back until he leaves the family.

Hi Heid Yin
30-10-2016, 08:49 PM
Neil Lennon is a "Winner" and does not suffer fools or lazy footballers gladly. I actually like him. He demands certain standards from himself and his players. This attitude and approach can only be respected. His handling of Jason Cummings is refreshing and a clear demonstration that no player is too good to be dropped. In contrast, last season Stubbs played the same players time after time - irrespective of their performances.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
30-10-2016, 08:54 PM
Exactly. Would Stubbs have dropped Jason. He's getting close to the right formation. If guys hate him it's because they know he's likely to succeed. For the stuff he puts up with I can cut him some slack.

He did last season didnt he?

givescotlandfreedom
30-10-2016, 09:06 PM
I think he's been really quite quiet as Hibs manager so a little surprised people's seethe levels are still high. I thought we'd see/hear more from him, particularly given the guff refereeing performances recently. That's not meant as a criticism, just an observation.

Mr White
30-10-2016, 09:15 PM
I think he's been really quite quiet as Hibs manager so a little surprised people's seethe levels are still high. I thought we'd see/hear more from him, particularly given the guff refereeing performances recently. That's not meant as a criticism, just an observation.

I'd imagine getting sent to the stand (and the subsequent 5 game European ban) in his first competitive match might have influenced the way he's conducted himself since then.

Marco G
30-10-2016, 09:28 PM
The more I hear from Neil Lennon the more I like him. I think it will turn out to be a great move by us to get him and I could not care a hoot what anyone else says.

Onion
30-10-2016, 09:35 PM
Didn't like him as a player or Celtic manager. Far too arrogant for my liking.

At this point, I tolerate him and might change my view if he does a professional job at Hibs and takes us up. If he doesn't, expect I'll go back to not liking him again.

Better than being ignored, I hear :greengrin

Speedy
30-10-2016, 09:44 PM
People will argue he was disliked because he was a combatitive midfielder who played to his crowd and had a bit much to say for himself. Scottish football history is littered with people like that though and none of them put up with the same kind of shameful stuff Neil Lennon has had to.

There was something deeper about it with Lennon and, certainly in a few cases, it laid the ugly sectarianism of Scottish society out there for all to see.

He was captain of a very successful side so was higher profile than most.

No doubt there was a sectarian thing with some but many just disliked him because he was a mouthy prick.

Northernhibee
30-10-2016, 09:47 PM
He's a dickhead but he's our dickhead.

Swedish hibee
30-10-2016, 09:48 PM
I really really dislike him still. But I love Hibs more.

ekhibee
30-10-2016, 09:55 PM
Never had a problem with him when he was Celtic manager, maybe I'm different from a lot of people on here who dislike somebody just cos they played for or managed Celtic. What team he managed in the past doesn't interest me at all, he's the Hibs manager and that's all that counts. Thank God he doesn't read Hibs.net, particularly the thread for the Dunfermline game where some people were slagging him off and bad mouthing him before half time. As for those that doubt him, well I doubted Stubbs, right up till we won the Scottish Cup, and I was proven wrong. Hope you're all proven wrong too.

kevinc
30-10-2016, 10:06 PM
I think that he will get us up, he is more a kick up the hole manager than arm around the shoulder( but is adapting to providing encouragement), don't hold out a great deal of hope for us in the cup based on what I have seen up to now. The one thing that I would like to see him ditch is the zonal marking, basketball tactic that is easily exploited if you line your giants along the 18 yard line to get a run at the cross, few teams employ this now. I would like to see him bring in Commons and another central defender who is comfortable in the middle of a back 3.

The Captain....
30-10-2016, 11:16 PM
I've not been bowled over by the football we've been playing or his signings but it's relatively early days. Promotion by almost any means is the target so if he achieves that I'll be satisfied.

On his personality I admire the way he's openly discussed his episodes of depression and the strength of character he showed when subject to the sickening sectarian abuse he suffered.

I could quite easily see him being here for just the one season regardless of outcome..if he fails he'll go if we get promotion by winning (skooshing) the league he may get another shot down South. I'd probably be ok with that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dashing Bob S
30-10-2016, 11:22 PM
People are pretty sheepish about Lennon. They tend to bleat what others do, without examining the basis of their belief that he's this type of person. I met him once at a private function when he was manager of Celtic. Difficult to generalise about somebody from a few hours of being very loosely in their company, but he came over as such a nice and genuine guy, polite and charming, and very intelligent.

I'll admit that this is very at odds with the no-nonsense, myopic to his own cause image he projects at work. There is an abrasiveness that a lot of people don't vibe on. Yet the response to him is way out of proportion for what he actually does, and his treatment shows a bitter undercurrent of sectarianism has permeated all levels of social life in Scotland, and it shames us as a society.

WhileTheChief..
30-10-2016, 11:45 PM
I really like him.

He's not said or done anything controversial whilst at Hibs so any hatred towards him must come from his Celtic days.

Comes across well well in the media and I agree with most of his post match comments.

Id like him to stay a good few years if at all possible.

monktonharp
30-10-2016, 11:57 PM
I really like him.

He's not said or done anything controversial whilst at Hibs so any hatred towards him must come from his Celtic days.

Comes across well well in the media and I agree with most of his post match comments.

Id like him to stay a good few years if at all possible.he is a nice affable guy. he came into our pub last week, had one pint then was about to leave. I approached him, and asked him to let my nephew and his mate have a picture taken with him. he duly obliged could easily have said naw. nice guy, likes his job and is friendly with fans. cant believe some of the tripe talked of him

Highland_Hibee
31-10-2016, 12:17 AM
There simply wasn't a candidate with a CV remotely close to his when it came to our job vacancy. I admit to voicing my "concerns" over his appointment but now I'm glad we didn't go down any other route. Football fans need villains and Lennon was an easy target for the type of player he was. I find him a Martin Keown type of character. Nutter when around a football pitch but respectable and worth listening to off it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edinburgher
31-10-2016, 12:33 AM
Think that NL was just one of those players that opposition fans take a dislike to due to his various characteristics. For example, even though fat Robbo scored alot against us - it was Gary McKay and Levein that I particularly disliked! Same with players like Iain Ferguson (St Mirren brand) when he played for the huns, Peter Grant and Roy Aitken at Celtic etc - I`m not necessarily sure that I can even put my finger on why exactly!

majorhibs
31-10-2016, 01:01 AM
The people on here! :rolleyes: He's the Hibs manager!

JOD
31-10-2016, 01:39 AM
Neil best manager we've had since Turnbull.

His test will be to get us in top 6 next season.

J-C
31-10-2016, 04:28 AM
Never liked him when at Celtic but appreciated what he did there and understand the horrible stuff he and his family pot up with, he's with us now and he's a born winner, which is exactly what we need.

adhibs
31-10-2016, 05:14 AM
The people on here! :rolleyes: He's the Hibs manager!

Its mental. Seems a decent guy and looks to have us heading in right direction.

Jack Hackett
31-10-2016, 06:13 AM
Hibs manager at the top of the League....nuff said

hibs0666
31-10-2016, 06:15 AM
It looks like haters gotta hate.

flash
31-10-2016, 06:17 AM
He's a dickhead but he's our dickhead.

Well one of you is.

theonlywayisup
31-10-2016, 06:36 AM

The problem I had with Lennon when he played football was the "everybody hates me because I'm an Irish Catholic" comment. Nah, when he came to Easter Road (and I'm sure most other football grounds apart from Ibrox and Tiny) it was because he was that dirty snarling aggressive team that most team had. Absolutely nothing to do with being Irish or Catholic.

However, I'm delighted he is our manager. Just what we need to get us out of this league.

Pretty Boy
31-10-2016, 06:44 AM
The problem I had with Lennon when he played football was the "everybody hates me because I'm an Irish Catholic" comment. Nah, when he came to Easter Road (and I'm sure most other football grounds apart from Ibrox and Tiny) it was because he was that dirty snarling aggressive team that most team had. Absolutely nothing to do with being Irish or Catholic.

However, I'm delighted he is our manager. Just what we need to get us out of this league.
There are plenty of teams who had 'dirty, snarling, aggressive' players. How many of them had to deal with death threats, bullets in the post and assaults both in football grounds and the street?

There was an orchestrated campaign against Lennon from before he even kicked a ball for Celtic, in part led by our esteemed press and I think a lot of people who were responsible for the worst abuses hated him for reasons they didn't quite understand themselves.

Yes he probably didn't help himself by saying he would love to play for a united Ireland team, although he still turned up for Northern Ireland duty when many others didn't until the abuse forced him to stop. Maybe he should have been a bit more measured in his comments and actions but why should he change to satisfy the bigots? People can argue all they like but Neil Lennon has been the victim far more than he was ever the sinner.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

FranckSuzy
31-10-2016, 12:41 PM
The strength of character NL showed when targeted by bigots - and to speak out about his battle(s?) with depression - make me confident he is the right man to get us promoted, whatever it takes.

JimBHibees
31-10-2016, 12:55 PM
I like him and to me comes over well in the interviews I have seen. Seems very honest and down to earth and not afraid to have a pop at refs quite rightly given some of the decisions this season. The bottom line though is how he does as a Hibs manager and whether he gets us up this season. The team are playing a slightly different more direct style however we can and will improve IMO.

What is in no doubt though is that he has had to put up with incredible hatred during his time in Scotland and it says so much that he is still prepared to work and stay here as many would have seen the place far enough after the nonsense been thrown in his direction.

Baldy Foghorn
31-10-2016, 12:55 PM
Like NL, tells it how it is, no sugar coating.....100% winner....

seanoheimhin
31-10-2016, 02:55 PM
People are pretty sheepish about Lennon. They tend to bleat what others do, without examining the basis of their belief that he's this type of person. I met him once at a private function when he was manager of Celtic. Difficult to generalise about somebody from a few hours of being very loosely in their company, but he came over as such a nice and genuine guy, polite and charming, and very intelligent.

I'll admit that this is very at odds with the no-nonsense, myopic to his own cause image he projects at work. There is an abrasiveness that a lot of people don't vibe on. Yet the response to him is way out of proportion for what he actually does, and his treatment shows a bitter undercurrent of sectarianism has permeated all levels of social life in Scotland, and it shames us as a society.

Here here :top marks

The way he stood up for himself in the face of the most vile elements of Scottish and Northern Irish society should be admired. He's an advocate for speaking out about mental health, and has clearly never forgotten his roots. I'm actually delighted we have such a character at the club.

Yes, he's spikey - so what? The amount of *****s in football and none of them have gotten a tenth of the stick he's had. He can rub people up the wrong way but anyone who thinks the abuse he gets is warranted/has nothing to do with where he was born, you're deluded.

It's acceptable in Scotland to hate Neil Lennon, shame on anyone who let's that go unquestioned.

highland hibbee
31-10-2016, 03:07 PM
Kind of guy you hate if he's with the opposition but is an asset to have on your side imo. He's a spiky character for sure. That maybe brings man management issues at times but if he can nurture the same desire and will to win in his players that he displays himself then that should cover any negative effects. Hopefully.

Absolutely detestable when when he was in opposition to us, and why, well for me it was because he represented everything I wanted from my team. Hated to lose, wore his heart on his sleeve, made the very most of what wasn't the most talented of ability by hard work and determination. Stood up to some terrible abuse when at Celtic and also when playing for Northern Ireland. Maybe won't win popularity contests with 11 Neil Lennons in your team, but you would win the greater amount of your games. I'd rather he was in our dugout than the oppositions.....

PiemanP
31-10-2016, 05:02 PM
I actually think he's matured/mellowed a lot from his playing/Celtic days. Can't say I was a fan previously but I back him 100% and believe he will bring us success.

greenlex
31-10-2016, 05:08 PM
Don't mind him but some of his tactics and subs etc are baffling.There are times in games I haven't a clue what he's doing and I'm pretty sure he doesn't either.

Heisenberg
31-10-2016, 05:11 PM
Don't mind him but some of his tactics and subs etc are baffling.There are times in games I haven't a clue what he's doing and I'm pretty sure he doesn't either.

The only example I can think of was the Hanlon at left back scenario. Even then that was understandable. He has us top of the league which I'm pretty pleased with.

greenlex
31-10-2016, 05:13 PM
The only example I can think of was the Hanlon at left back scenario. Even then that was understandable. He has us top of the league which I'm pretty pleased with.

Me too but the jury is still out as far as I'm concerned.

gillythehibby
31-10-2016, 05:14 PM
Liked him at Celtic both player and manager. Liked him even better when i met him before getting our managers post when telling me he couldny stand the Savilles. Spoke very well of the Hibs

Iceman1875
31-10-2016, 05:37 PM
I'm warming to NL. I like his honesty, I like how he sees things and how he isn't afraid to make big decisions i.e. Dropping Jason. He was successful
As a player and manager at Celtic and he's now pushing us back to where we belong.

We are lucky to have NL however NL is also lucky to have us...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neil7908
31-10-2016, 06:01 PM
He's exactly what we need at Hibs, a proven winner who doesn't care what other fans, managers or the media think of him. I'm not comparing him ability wise to these guys but which opposition fans have good things to say about Mourinho or Sir Alex? Both are aggressive, egotistical, arrogant men hated by opposition fans but loved by their own.

He has a very combatative personality but
the grief he's taken in Scotland had been unbelievable and totally unacceptable.

Anyone who still thinks poorly of him should listen to the interview he did with BBC sportsound at the start of the season. He came across really well I thought and dispelled any lingering doubts I had about him.

My only annoyance is that he seems to constantly be in papers with quotes about Celtic. I know it's not his fault journos are asking him these questions but I wish he'd just say something like "I'm Hibs manager now and that's all I'm focused on".

Wee Effen Bee
31-10-2016, 06:16 PM

Sorry Lex, ah cannae let this go.:greengrin Unless this is another 'whoosh' moment from me, and I've had a few, are you really saying that a guy with solid domestic, European and international experience doesn't have a clue because you don't understand his decisions? Give him a call. I'm sure he would gladly explain his methods:thumbsup:

Iggy Pope
31-10-2016, 06:27 PM

Eh? You had him out the door a fortnight ago.

Shrekko
31-10-2016, 07:06 PM

No, just because you've not got a clue what he's doing does not mean he doesn't have a clue what he's doing. Utterly ridiculous to say that.

monktonharp
31-10-2016, 07:37 PM
Me too but the jury is still out as far as I'm concerned.why are you not a football manager?

jacomo
31-10-2016, 07:39 PM

Still learning about his squad?

If he's still chopping and changing a lot come the New Year then I would be concerned, but most changes I can see his reasoning, even if I don't agree with all of them.

familyman
31-10-2016, 08:30 PM
he is a nice affable guy. he came into our pub last week, had one pint then was about to leave. I approached him, and asked him to let my nephew and his mate have a picture taken with him. he duly obliged could easily have said naw. nice guy, likes his job and is friendly with fans. cant believe some of the tripe talked of him

Well as a player I often thought him a bit over the top, but plenty of fire and passion ,so as a manager that may still be the case.However he has been brought in to do a specific job with this crop of players..to get us promoted.....so these qualities are what we require just now.We saw how Butcher went about his business so we want no repeat of that,Lennon seems to me to be telling it as it is, but still valuing his players..it is as a manager necessary to motivate and inspire while sometimes giving verbal kick up the **** ,but it seems his half time talks seem to be doing the business,he praises the team when it is justified and not when it is not...Alan S for me did a good job but often was praising the team no matter what...Neil I suspect was totally dumbfounded when we lost form and has worked at getting to know the players better since then,in the hope we can get back on track...of course certain players will be unhappy sometimes but that is the way of things everywhere...
Neil I have seen twice abroad on holiday ,in passing ..only but he was then assistant manager at Celtic and then manager...but he could still smile!!!!!
He is the man for this time ...let us back him ....:flag:

greenlex
01-11-2016, 02:16 AM
Eh? You had him out the door a fortnight ago.

I mean I don't mind him as a person. Still unsure he's the man to get us up. Judging by the players performances over the piece I'm not sure the players have a clue what's going on in large chunks of the match too or what's expected tactically.

greenlex
01-11-2016, 02:19 AM
Sorry Lex, ah cannae let this go.:greengrin Unless this is another 'whoosh' moment from me, and I've had a few, are you really saying that a guy with solid domestic, European and international experience doesn't have a clue because you don't understand his decisions? Give him a call. I'm sure he would gladly explain his methods:thumbsup:

On reflection I should have said he looks like he doesn't have a clue.

Jdawg
01-11-2016, 07:53 AM
Really warmed to him for the first time when he started doing punditry.

A manager who was a winner as a player and manager, that will do me.

Was very tactically aware in how we set up against Brondby. Yes, we went on a mini bad run but the ridiculous red cards hardly helped.

Maybe the players are to blame. We have played really well in a few games so far, was he tactically sound for those games but not the others or did the players underperform?

Professional footballers should be able to play and understand 442, 4231, 451,433, 3412 or anything other tactic fairly easily. I appreciate that a new tactic takes fine tuning and practice though.

BoomtownHibees
01-11-2016, 08:08 AM
On reflection I should have said he looks like he doesn't have a clue.

You sound like you don't have a clue

brog
01-11-2016, 08:36 AM
I'm not his biggest fan as a manager but he comes across as a good & knowledgeable guy in the media & I agree he would have been hard to ignore when he became available for our job. My one real bugbear is his apparent inability to refrain from commenting on Celtc whenever asked, I believe he's in DR talking about Celtc again today.
Neil, please repeat after me, "Thank you for asking me for a comment on Celtc, I appreciate your interest. However I must decline as I am proud to be manager of Hibernian & my whole focus is on achieving success for our club. " Please repeat ad nauseam!