PDA

View Full Version : 40m price tag on Dembele??

heidtheba
30-10-2016, 04:32 PM
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/726743/Manchester-United-Chelsea-Liverpool-Southampton-Edinson-Cavani-Transfer-News

Ok, so I have a question. Scottish football regularly gets panned and is very much the 'poor neighbour' to the (over-inflated) EPL, so how can they assume that a player up here is worth that amount? Surely the fact he plays for the team with the best financial resources in the league means he will be surrounded by above-average players, certainly above the standard of his opposition? How can he be worth that and why aren't Scottish players ever associated with fees of this size?

I've not seen him play but I'm genuinely puzzled as to the finances mentioned for an SPL player.

Thoughts please!

LioNeilMessi
30-10-2016, 04:52 PM
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/726743/Manchester-United-Chelsea-Liverpool-Southampton-Edinson-Cavani-Transfer-News

Ok, so I have a question. Scottish football regularly gets panned and is very much the 'poor neighbour' to the (over-inflated) EPL, so how can they assume that a player up here is worth that amount? Surely the fact he plays for the team with the best financial resources in the league means he will be surrounded by above-average players, certainly above the standard of his opposition? How can he be worth that and why aren't Scottish players ever associated with fees of this size?

I've not seen him play but I'm genuinely puzzled as to the finances mentioned for an SPL player.

Thoughts please!

Scottish players have gone for large money in the past -up to £15m? But currently Scotland don't have anyone near world class level, hence no players are considered as valuable as someone like Ozil.

As for Dembele, I haven't seen him play but I suspect he'll probably need 2 great seasons with Celtic before he goes for anything near half his current "asking price".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since90+2
30-10-2016, 05:16 PM
So according to the article Man Utd , Man City , Chelsea and Real Madrid are all interested in him and the asking price is 40 million? Think we can safely say this is out of the Daily Record guidebook to journalism.

He is a decent player and will probably leave Celtic at the end of the season for a sizeable fee but it won't be more than 15 million let alone anything near 40 million.

Kavinho
30-10-2016, 05:19 PM
So according to the article Man Utd , Man City , Chelsea and Real Madrid are all interested in him and the asking price is 40 million? Think we can safely say this is out of the Daily Record guidebook to journalism.

He is a decent player and will probably leave Celtic at the end of the season for a sizeable fee but it won't be more than 15 million let alone anything near 40 million.

A player in the uk is cheaper now for clubs on the continent after the big drop in the pound.

highland hibbee
30-10-2016, 05:20 PM

Aye he's a decent player, but if James Madison was playing for Celtic, what value would they be putting on him. Aye I know it's hypothetical but that laddie really does have it all.

Big L
30-10-2016, 05:22 PM
Crazy cash out there for top strikers, Zidane, Real Madrid apparently very interested in the lad. still young, got a great physique, pacey and knows where the goals are. I'm just surprised they got him for £500k. Must be worth 40 Mill if he's keeping the mighty Griff out !

Scouse Hibee
30-10-2016, 05:36 PM
Considering the money BR spent on pish in the past it's probably his valuation :-)

Billy Whizz
30-10-2016, 05:37 PM
Got to feel sorry for Fulham, they give him the opportunity, develop him and them get buttons for him

Callyballybe
30-10-2016, 05:41 PM
£40 million is crazy, even by football standards!

Like a couple of folk have said already, he'll go at the end of the season for around £15 mil; maybe a couple of million more if they're lucky.

danhibees1875
30-10-2016, 05:44 PM
Got to feel sorry for Fulham, they give him the opportunity, develop him and them get buttons for him

Sorry if this is a whoosh moment, but was there any sort of controversy around his move? Presumably, they didn't want to give him another contract or were trying to low ball his wage which led him to decide to leave?

Lago
30-10-2016, 06:36 PM
Sorry if this is a whoosh moment, but was there any sort of controversy around his move? Presumably, they didn't want to give him another contract or were trying to low ball his wage which led him to decide to leave?
Celtic took advantage of cross border rules & only paid a development fee.

Tyler Durden
30-10-2016, 06:52 PM
Considering the money BR spent on pish in the past it's probably his valuation :-)

Albeit as time goes on, his Liverpool buys don't look so bad.

Lovren and Lallana now regulars, as are Can and Firmino, all performing well. Sturridge and Coutinho have been absolute bargains.

Ballotelli was a stupid gamble but a relatively small fee anyway and although Benteke was gash, they recouped the fee.

Rodgers record is probably as good as most at top levels, many more hits than misses.

danhibees1875
30-10-2016, 06:55 PM
Celtic took advantage of cross border rules & only paid a development fee.
Presumably on the back of him not getting a contract at Fulham or them not offering as good a contract as Celtic did?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Tyler Durden
30-10-2016, 06:57 PM
Presumably on the back of him not getting a contract at Fulham or them not offering as good a contract as Celtic did?

Well no. As a free agent obviously he can make more money moving on.

The original point made is that Fulham were close to selling Dembele to Spurs in January. It fell through and they lost out on a fee. If he stayed in England in the summer Fulham would be entitled to nearer his actual value. As he moved cross border Celtic paid next to nothing for him. Hence some people would sympathise with Fulham

Scouse Hibee
30-10-2016, 07:04 PM

Lovren and Lallana now regulars, as are Can and Firmino, all performing well. Sturridge and Coutinho have been absolute bargains.

Ballotelli was a stupid gamble but a relatively small fee anyway and although Benteke was gash, they recouped the fee.

Rodgers record is probably as good as most at top levels, many more hits than misses.

Ballotelli was £16m
Moreno
Markovic
Illori
Sakho
Borini
Lambert
Aspas
Assaidi
Luis Alberto

Just some of his misses.
I certainly recognise he signed some good ones too hence the smiley face.

Tyler Durden
30-10-2016, 07:08 PM
Ballotelli was £16m
Moreno
Markovic
Illori
Sakho
Borini
Lambert
Aspas
Assaidi
Luis Alberto

Just some of his misses.

Yeah as I said more hits than misses! Most of those were always going to be squad players.

Moreno is a tough one to forgive though. Although Klopp hasn't managed to sign a decent left back yet either

Billy Whizz
30-10-2016, 07:18 PM
Ballotelli was £16m
Moreno
Markovic
Illori
Sakho
Borini
Lambert
Aspas
Assaidi
Luis Alberto

Just some of his misses.

Did BR or the committee sign these players?

danhibees1875
30-10-2016, 07:19 PM
Well no. As a free agent obviously he can make more money moving on.

The original point made is that Fulham were close to selling Dembele to Spurs in January. It fell through and they lost out on a fee. If he stayed in England in the summer Fulham would be entitled to nearer his actual value. As he moved cross border Celtic paid next to nothing for him. Hence some people would sympathise with Fulham

He could only make more money moving on if Celtic were offering up more than Fulham were surely? I'd be surprised if Celtic could out spend Fulham - I guess they just had more belief he'd turn good than Fulham did? Unless there is something I've missed.

Billy Whizz
30-10-2016, 07:32 PM
He could only make more money moving on if Celtic were offering up more than Fulham were surely? I'd be surprised if Celtic could out spend Fulham - I guess they just had more belief he'd turn good than Fulham did? Unless there is something I've missed.

Or the lure of Champions League or working for BR

3pm
30-10-2016, 07:35 PM
Ballotelli was £16m
Moreno
Markovic
Illori
Sakho
Borini
Lambert
Aspas
Assaidi
Luis Alberto

Just some of his misses.

I always thought Markovic may have done a turn mate but obviously not!

Anyway, back to Celtic. They come out with this drivel every time they have they have someone they can sell.

Hooper's name appeared in the paper linked with Spurs. He ended up at Norwich for about half the money quoted in the papers. Wanyama linked with Arsenal and Man Utd for more than he was sold for....he ends up at Southampton. Same with Forster (Barcelona and Atletico Madrid) and Van Dijk (Arsenal and Man Utd).

Full of pish.

SRHibs
30-10-2016, 08:20 PM
He's had some class performances in the Champion's League too. Honestly, after seeing half the pish that goes for 30m+ it wouldn't surprise me if they got silly money.

Lago
30-10-2016, 08:26 PM

Yes correct would not accept new contract with Fulham.

WestEndHibee
30-10-2016, 09:32 PM

Did BR or the committee sign these players?

Or the lure of Champions League or working for BR

What have Bristol Rovers got to do with this? They've been very astute of late. :greengrin

ekhibee
30-10-2016, 09:36 PM
I've not read the article, but are we talking about the Celtic player or the Spurs player, both with the same name?

jgl07
30-10-2016, 11:22 PM

I don't think that Rodgers or any other Liverpool manager in recent years had a lot of say in the signings.

The dreaded 'transfer committee' handled all those issues. Overall they have signed more duds than successes.

Liverpool are going in the right direction now but this is in spite of the transfer committee rather than because if it. All down to Jurgen Klopp in my view.

heretoday
30-10-2016, 11:26 PM
If he's worth £40m then his namesake at Tottenham must be worth £80m because he's twice as good.
Shooting fish in a barrel at Celtic doesn't make you worth that kind of money.

jgl07
31-10-2016, 12:59 AM
What have Bristol Rovers got to do with this? They've been very astute of late. :greengrin
British Rail more likely!

DH1875
31-10-2016, 12:30 PM
Apparently Celtic were talking to him for 9 months before he signed. If that's true then 2 things stand out. Firstly they must have been tapping him up and secondly, he can't be a Brendan Rodgers signing cause he wasn't there. Hugh Keevins came up with the 9 months so no idea how true it is.

Bristolhibby
31-10-2016, 02:19 PM
I thought we were talking about that 13 year old lad for a moment.

Is Dembele like the Smith of West Africa?

J