PDA

View Full Version : Callum Crane

Greenworld
30-10-2016, 11:11 AM
Hearing the lad has told Lennon he wants away from hibs. Not getting a chance to play is his reason.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

sleeping giant
30-10-2016, 11:15 AM
Where you hearing this ?

greenlex
30-10-2016, 11:18 AM
Hearing the lad has told Lennon he wants away from hibs. Not getting a chance to play is his reason.

Can see his point. Told he couldnt go out on loan as he was back up for Stevenson. Stevenson is suspended and the lad is ignored. Good player and needs the chance to make his mark in the game soon. Must be really frustrating for him.

Golden Bear
30-10-2016, 11:20 AM
i've never seen the lad play so can't really comment on his abilities.

However its understandable that someone of his age wants to experience first team football on a fairly regular basis, at least he's showing that he's ambitious.

calumhibee1
30-10-2016, 11:28 AM
Get him out on loan to one of the part time sides in our league in January.

NORTHERNHIBBY
30-10-2016, 11:31 AM
Can see his point. When wee Lewis was suspended he should have been a swap in but other players were moved to other positions
That is probably all the message you need to show that you need to try something different. A loan and regular football sounds like a plan.

Greenworld
30-10-2016, 11:40 AM
Where you hearing this ?
Friends of his

NAE NOOKIE
30-10-2016, 11:53 AM
Its pretty unfair on the guy to tell him he cant go on loan because he's backup for Stevenson and then not play him when Stevenson is suspended. If Lennon is determined to play Hanlon at LB in the event Stevenson cant play then he should stop messing Crane about and let him go on loan in January.

Crane showed enough against Birmingham City to prove he is a promising player .... he is going to stagnate in the development squad and needs first team football in order to fulfil his potential.

hibsbollah
30-10-2016, 12:02 PM
Sadly inevitable.

Baldy Foghorn
30-10-2016, 12:03 PM
Friends of his

Sure he will love you making it public knowledge then

Eyrie
30-10-2016, 12:18 PM
Sure he will love you making it public knowledge then

If Crane has told his friends and they're telling people then it is already public knowledge.

The player should be wanting to play regularly at this stage in his career and, as others have pointed out, he didn't get the opportunity to do so in Stevenson's absence which means this is no surprise to anyone.

Enough said
30-10-2016, 01:48 PM

I find that announcement very very strange , a young lad who has just signed a new contract and has demanded game time or he is away... I smell a YAM

lucky
30-10-2016, 01:55 PM
He'll be lucky to get a full time team if he leaves Hibs permanently. Whilst he has potential he lacks top team experience. Clearly Lennon does not think he's ready for Hibs first team.

QMU-1875
30-10-2016, 02:29 PM
Not wanting to put the lad down cause no doubt he is highly rated but in the chance he did get (Turiff United) he looked well off the pace. Hope he gets given a shot at some point anyway so we can actually make our mind up!

Borderhibbie76
30-10-2016, 03:20 PM
Not wanting to put the lad down cause no doubt he is highly rated but in the chance he did get (Turiff United) he looked well off the pace. Hope he gets given a shot at some point anyway so we can actually make our mind up!
Agree with this defensively he looked very weak in that match and sure his time will come

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

indiejak1413
30-10-2016, 03:27 PM
I watch the 20s most weeks and the lad cruises most games. I expect he was hacked off at being overlooked as Stevensons replacement.
Ive watched some of the 1st team guys play with the 20s and show up really badly then get slotted into the 1st team the following Saturday.That doesn't exactly send a good message to the likes of Crane and Martin who are expected to perform well in the 20s every week and not get a sniff of the 1st team.
Crane and Martin were outstanding against Dundee utd last week and both deserve a chance imo .

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Heisenberg
30-10-2016, 03:30 PM
I watch the 20s most weeks and the lad cruises most games. I expect he was hacked off at being overlooked as Stevensons replacement.
Ive watched some of the 1st team guys play with the 20s and show up really badly then get slotted into the 1st team the following Saturday.That doesn't exactly send a good message to the likes of Crane and Martin who are expected to perform well in the 20s every week and not get a sniff of the 1st team.
Crane and Martin were outstanding against Dundee utd last week and both deserve a chance imo .

Thought Martin might've got a chance yesterday when McGinn went off. Surely Crane can't be demanding a transfer though? He's a young boy ffs! Know your place and work hard to get yourself to the level required instead of running away. Loan move would be a wise move.

Sioux
30-10-2016, 04:02 PM
I watch the 20s most weeks .....

So does Lennon. If Crane is becomes good enough for the first team he'll play. If not................... . The football graveyard is full of players who think they are better than they are or ever will be.

If he thinks there's a queue of clubs waiting to pay a transfer fee for him in January the answer is simple. Buy out his contract and wait to be reimbursed by a comparable signing on fee. God luck with that.

Of course, an alternative view is that the story is a pile of BS'

the tornadoe
30-10-2016, 04:51 PM
He should have been given a chance when Stevenson was suspended,, was he not on the bench ? if so he should have played. We are in the first division and our back up left back should be able to handle the opposition at the level we are at at the moment.

Godsahibby
30-10-2016, 04:53 PM

From watching him in the development league. In your option does he stay switched on for the full 90?

StevieCowan
30-10-2016, 04:54 PM
I heard the same noises when Ryan Baptie didn't get a shout last year and there are 100's before him.

The jump to 1st team football at the level hibs want players to be at is huge and shouldn't be underestimated.

If Crane's good enough then I'm sure he'll have a host of clubs ready to sign him during January.

Big L
30-10-2016, 05:11 PM
Against Birmingham he played well, well enough to be given an opportunity when Stevenson was suspended, god knows he would not have been worse than Hanlon, who proved once and for all he is not a LB. I have to wonder if young players like Martin and Crane are not getting a chance because of the pressure on us to win every game. that being the case if and when we build up a lead they might get a chance.

indiejak1413
30-10-2016, 05:12 PM
From watching him in the development league. In your option does he stay switched on for the full 90?
I would say Crane and Martin are the 2 most switched on players in the 20s, young Martin is very aware and always picks his passes well, Crane is very quick and direct and makes some good runs down the left hand side. Probably better wing back than full back imo.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

BSEJVT
30-10-2016, 08:20 PM
It has taken me a very long time and even now I have my doubts sometimes but I think I have come to understand that the guy picking the team every week who sees the players in training and in pre-season and under 20's games is probably better placed to pick the team than I am.

I have supported Hibs for well over 40 years and for most of that time there have been supporters (of which I have often been one) clamouring that so and so from the reserves should get his chance.

I could probably count on the fingers of one hand, definitely on two, the number of players over that time who someone was certain should get their chance at Hibs who didn't, that have caused me to regret that Hibs didn't give them their opportunity.

If I stretched to counting my toes as well I could definitely also count the number of players who made fleeting appearances for the team but never cemented a regular place who moved on and made me regret it.

If you consider the amount of really crap managers we have had over that period as well, you might come to the conclusion that crap as some of them were, the manager of the day knows a players worth better than we do and we should leave them to get on with it.

Greenworld
30-10-2016, 08:28 PM
I find that announcement very very strange , a young lad who has just signed a new contract and has demanded game time or he is away... I smell a YAM
Your nose and information isn't very good then...enough said

He'll be lucky to get a full time team if he leaves Hibs permanently. Whilst he has potential he lacks top team experience. Clearly Lennon does not think he's ready for Hibs first team.

JimBHibees
30-10-2016, 08:31 PM
It has taken me a very long time and even now I have my doubts sometimes but I think I have come to understand that the guy picking the team every week who sees the players in training and in pre-season and under 20's games is probably better placed to pick the team than I am.

I have supported Hibs for well over 40 years and for most of that time there have been supporters (of which I have often been one) clamouring that so and so from the reserves should get his chance.

I could probably count on the fingers of one hand, definitely on two, the number of players over that time who someone was certain should get their chance at Hibs who didn't, that have caused me to regret that Hibs didn't give them their opportunity.

If I stretched to counting my toes as well I could definitely also count the number of players who made fleeting appearances for the team but never cemented a regular place who moved on and made me regret it.

If you consider the amount of really crap managers we have had over that period as well, you might come to the conclusion that crap as some of them were, the manager of the day knows a players worth better than we do and we should leave them to get on with it.

Couldn't agree more. Crane had a first team game recently and didn't really shine so can see why maybe he was overlooked. He certainly shouldn't play just for the sake of it.

Sir David Gray
30-10-2016, 08:43 PM
Get him out on loan to one of the part time sides in our league in January.

Dumbarton's the only part time side in our league.

Stantons Angel
30-10-2016, 09:03 PM

and dont we get a chance to hear what Lennon's views on this are? as many posters have already said, we have heard this so many times of other young stars. It does no good to push your managers buttons this way. Especially someone of Lennon's temperament and experience.

Ive seen this lad play and yes he is a good young player and showed up well in friendlies and a couple of shows in the first team. Lennon has said that he is a good young player and thats what he is! He will welcome the unwanted attention your posting will bring him. If you have heard this from him or anyone close to him you wont be friends much longer.

This is the sort of thing the young players get into trouble for and even when its not them posting. Let him play his football and if he is good enough he will come through. Lennon will know when he is ready to play first team football or be given a loan spell. Just be patient!

indiejak1413
30-10-2016, 09:04 PM

So why keep these young guys playing week in week out at 20s level. They are also playing for a very basic wage so why wouldnt they want to better themselves. Theyre not allowed out on loan but Hibs can charge a development fee if they move on. At the end of the day whats the point of having all these guys there if the management team have no intention of playing them .

jdships
30-10-2016, 09:16 PM
Similar situation possibly as with Calum Booth ?
Lot of us thought he was a future star
A move didn't do him any harm !! :greengrin

2010–2015 Hibernian 40 (3)
2010 → Arbroath (loan) 15 (1)
2010 → Brechin City (loan) 11 (2)
2012–2013 → Livingston (loan) 31 (1)
2013–2014 → Raith Rovers (loan) 35 (3)
2015 → Partick Thistle (loan) 14 (0)
2015– Partick Thistle 39 (2)
National team‡
2008–2010 Scotland U19[1] 13 (0)
2010–2011 Scotland U21[2] 4 (0)

BSEJVT
30-10-2016, 09:36 PM
So why keep these young guys playing week in week out at 20s level. They are also playing for a very basic wage so why wouldnt they want to better themselves. Theyre not allowed out on loan but Hibs can charge a development fee if they move on. At the end of the day whats the point of having all these guys there if the management team have no intention of playing them .

Not the point I am making at all, but ......... when you sign a contract it cuts both ways.

If you are crap and never get picked for even the reserves you get paid, if you aren't quite good enough to make the first team you do what the club tells you then if you are unhappy move on at the end of your contract.

I obviously couldn't tell you what Lennon's view is but maybe part of it is providing the otherwise pretty young under 20's with some experience?

Maybe he hasn't progressed this season as well as his pre-season showings hinted he might?

Who knows?

I have only seen Callum in the pre -season games and thought he did quite well.

But I have to say that I have my doubts that having reached the age he has with so little first team exposure whether he is going to make the breakthrough.

Most of the players of any club who go on to make a career in the top level of the game have substantially more first team exposure at that age than he does.

Clearly there are exceptions but I see precious few players who haven't more or less nailed down a regular place on at least the bench by that age who go on to make a career at the level or above.

Plenty examples though of guys who need to drop down a level or two to do so.

BSEJVT
30-10-2016, 09:38 PM
Similar situation possibly as with Calum Booth ?
Lot of us thought he was a future star
A move didn't do him any harm !! :greengrin

2010–2015 Hibernian 40 (3)
2010 → Arbroath (loan) 15 (1)
2010 → Brechin City (loan) 11 (2)
2012–2013 → Livingston (loan) 31 (1)
2013–2014 → Raith Rovers (loan) 35 (3)
2015 → Partick Thistle (loan) 14 (0)
2015– Partick Thistle 39 (2)
National team‡
2008–2010 Scotland U19[1] 13 (0)
2010–2011 Scotland U21[2] 4 (0)

Agreed I was one of them who thought he might be when he broke through, but having said that I am not sure that he would have improved us had he remained or for that matter even featured that regularly.

indiejak1413
30-10-2016, 09:42 PM
Not the point I am making at all, but ......... when you sign a contract it cuts both ways.

If you are crap and never get picked for even the reserves you get paid, if you aren't quite good enough to make the first team you do what the club tells you then if you are unhappy move on at the end of your contract.

I obviously couldn't tell you what Lennon's view is but maybe part of it is providing the otherwise pretty young under 20's with some experience?

Maybe he hasn't progressed this season as well as his pre-season showings hinted he might?

Who knows?

I have only seen Callum in the pre -season games and thought he did quite well.

But I have to say that I have my doubts that having reached the age he has with so little first team exposure whether he is going to make the breakthrough.

Most of the players of any club who go on to make a career in the top level of the game have substantially more first team exposure at that age than he does.

Clearly there are exceptions but I see precious few players who haven't more or less nailed down a regular place on at least the bench by that age who go on to make a career at the level or above.

Plenty examples though of guys who need to drop down a level or two to do so.
Can't disagree with you on any of your comments , I suppose Lennon has the final say in what's best for his team ,Good or bad the buck stops at him.

Greenworld
30-10-2016, 09:56 PM
and dont we get a chance to hear what Lennon's views on this are? as many posters have already said, we have heard this so many times of other young stars. It does no good to push your managers buttons this way. Especially someone of Lennon's temperament and experience.

Ive seen this lad play and yes he is a good young player and showed up well in friendlies and a couple of shows in the first team. Lennon has said that he is a good young player and thats what he is! He will welcome the unwanted attention your posting will bring him. If you have heard this from him or anyone close to him you wont be friends much longer.

This is the sort of thing the young players get into trouble for and even when its not them posting. Let him play his football and if he is good enough he will come through. Lennon will know when he is ready to play first team football or be given a loan spell. Just be patient!
Yes I'm sure if you know Neil you can get his viewpoint.
I think it is great we can hear what's going on with young players.
Too many disappear having not been given a chance

cmcd
30-10-2016, 09:58 PM
Can't disagree with you on any of your comments , I suppose Lennon has the final say in what's best for his team ,Good or bad the buck stops at him.

In..my opinion they should bring back the reserve league.Some of the development squad are not physicaly capable of playing in the first team

indiejak1413
30-10-2016, 10:32 PM
In..my opinion they should bring back the reserve league.Some of the development squad are not physicaly capable of playing in the first team
The reserve league should never have been scrapped in the 1st place.
Surely with all the top class strength and conditioning coaches at the training centre these young lads should be coming on leaps and bounds physically.

jdships
31-10-2016, 10:08 AM
Agreed I was one of them who thought he might be when he broke through, but having said that I am not sure that he would have improved us had he remained or for that matter even featured that regularly.

Good post and agree totally :thumbsup::agree:

Smartie
31-10-2016, 10:33 AM
So does Lennon. If Crane is becomes good enough for the first team he'll play. If not................... . The football graveyard is full of players who think they are better than they are or ever will be.

If he thinks there's a queue of clubs waiting to pay a transfer fee for him in January the answer is simple. Buy out his contract and wait to be reimbursed by a comparable signing on fee. God luck with that.

Of course, an alternative view is that the story is a pile of BS'

It's also littered with players who waited patiently for an opportunity at a bigger club, missing out on valuable experience playing first team football at a crucial stage in their development therefore failing to develop the way they might have.

I like the fact he's not happy playing - players can be too content sitting patiently in the wings.

I've not seen enough of him to judge him as a player but as has been pointed out elsewhere, Neil Lennon has seen plenty of him so will know a bit better than most how good he is and how ready he is.

And another thing - for the stick he gets, Lewis Stevenson hasn't half seen off a few challengers for his position, hasn't he?

JDHibs
31-10-2016, 11:15 AM
Callum's in a weird situation.

Any other team in this league and bottom six in league above he would be playing every week. Its only because Stevenson is "Mr Hibs" he isnt getting a shot.

People moaning about him wanting away, would you rather he didnt want to play and sit and do nothing? Hes 20 years old, he just wants to play football. May aswell get 1st chances elsewhere than sitting playing in the development team week in week out. He was told he was direct back up for Stevenson, Stevenson gets suspended and NL shuffles his defence about rather than play him. No wonder he was pissed off.

Crane is a much better wing back than Stevenson, which is what Stevenson is being asked to play as. Stevenson is a very capable full back, better full back than Crane, but doesnt have the attacking capabilities that is required for a wing back, i.e pace, crossing, ability to take a man on, get to the byline etc. Its not Stevensons fault, hes doing as asked by NL.

If we continue to play this 3-5-2/3-4-1-2 formation, id like to see Crane given a shot. If we go flat back 4 id play Stevenson.

Andy74
31-10-2016, 11:20 AM
Callum's in a weird situation.

Any other team in this league and bottom six in league above he would be playing every week. Its only because Stevenson is "Mr Hibs" he isnt getting a shot.

People moaning about him wanting away, would you rather he didnt want to play and sit and do nothing? Hes 20 years old, he just wants to play football. May aswell get 1st chances elsewhere than sitting playing in the development team week in week out. He was told he was direct back up for Stevenson, Stevenson gets suspended and NL shuffles his defence about rather than play him. No wonder he was pissed off.

Crane is a much better wing back than Stevenson, which is what Stevenson is being asked to play as. Stevenson is a very capable full back, better full back than Crane, but doesnt have the attacking capabilities that is required for a wing back, i.e pace, crossing, ability to take a man on, get to the byline etc. Its not Stevensons fault, hes doing as asked by NL.

If we continue to play this 3-5-2/3-4-1-2 formation, id like to see Crane given a shot. If we go flat back 4 id play Stevenson.

If you stuck Stevenson in the under 20s then you could maybe start to make a judgment on who is the better wing back!

I couldn't really care if he is hacked off or not, the best player for the position will play most of the time.

JimBHibees
31-10-2016, 11:23 AM
It's also littered with players who waited patiently for an opportunity at a bigger club, missing out on valuable experience playing first team football at a crucial stage in their development therefore failing to develop the way they might have.

I like the fact he's not happy playing - players can be too content sitting patiently in the wings.

I've not seen enough of him to judge him as a player but as has been pointed out elsewhere, Neil Lennon has seen plenty of him so will know a bit better than most how good he is and how ready he is.

And another thing - for the stick he gets, Lewis Stevenson hasn't half seen off a few challengers for his position, hasn't he?

Agree thought he was excellent in the second half on Saturday good runs with the ball and linking up. Wish he could improve crossing however he has alot going for him and IMO wont be easily replaced in that position.

JDHibs
31-10-2016, 11:27 AM
If you stuck Stevenson in the under 20s then you could maybe start to make a judgment on who is the better wing back!

I couldn't really care if he is hacked off or not, the best player for the position will play most of the time.

Shock, you disagree with me? Imagine that.

Stevenson cant cross, barely goes past a player, never gets to the byline, mostly always stops and cuts it back to midfield, slows play down and doesnt have great pace.

All things that a wing back, like Agathe, should be able to do. All things Crane is very good at.

But as youve probably never seen Crane play, you wouldnt know that, probably just disagreeing with me for the sake of it now.

greenlex
31-10-2016, 11:56 AM
Shock, you disagree with me? Imagine that.

Stevenson cant cross, barely goes past a player, never gets to the byline, mostly always stops and cuts it back to midfield, slows play down and doesnt have great pace.

All things that a wing back, like Agathe, should be able to do. All things Crane is very good at.

But as youve probably never seen Crane play, you wouldnt know that, probably just disagreeing with me for the sake of it now.
Lennon out. JDHibs in.
I see where you are coming from and can agree to a certain extent but Stevenson is not as poor as you make out. I think Crane will make it and if not at Hibs he will do it elsewhwere.
Ill leave it to Lennon but do find it bizarre he didnt give Crane the nod and moved Hanlon out there IMO needlessly in Stevensons absence. He gets paid to make those decisions tho and I dont.

CallumLaidlaw
31-10-2016, 12:16 PM
Lennon out. JDHibs in.
I see where you are coming from and can agree to a certain extent but Stevenson is not as poor as you make out. I think Crane will make it and if not at Hibs he will do it elsewhwere.
Ill leave it to Lennon but do find it bizarre he didnt give Crane the nod and moved Hanlon out there IMO needlessly in Stevensons absence. He gets paid to make those decisions tho and I dont.

JDHibs is just anti stevenson :wink::na na:

To say he can't cross is not fair. It is inconsistent. He's put a fair few cracking balls in in the last few games. And he can't be awful as he has a good volume of assists over the last couple of seasons. He definitely could be better at driving to the byline, but that just isn't his game. Its difficult for anyone to say Crane is a better full back/wing back, etc - he's played a couple of first team games and then development games. Stevenson has been a solid 7/10 for the last 5 years. How many youngsters have been great in the development team and even had great debuts then fizzled out to nothing. I would definitely like him to get more game time and St Mirren in the challenge cup, and Dundee Utd were the games he should be getting a chance in.

JDHibs
31-10-2016, 12:32 PM
JDHibs is just anti stevenson :wink::na na:

To say he can't cross is not fair. It is inconsistent. He's put a fair few cracking balls in in the last few games. And he can't be awful as he has a good volume of assists over the last couple of seasons. He definitely could be better at driving to the byline, but that just isn't his game. Its difficult for anyone to say Crane is a better full back/wing back, etc - he's played a couple of first team games and then development games. Stevenson has been a solid 7/10 for the last 5 years. How many youngsters have been great in the development team and even had great debuts then fizzled out to nothing. I would definitely like him to get more game time and St Mirren in the challenge cup, and Dundee Utd were the games he should be getting a chance in.

Im not "anti" anybody at Hibs. Just pointing out his obvious failings whilst still complementing him. You missed that part mind you, where i said he is a very capable full back.

To be fair, you say volume of assists, how many crosses did it take for him to get them?

I will quote a great friend of mine -

"If you buy an army of players, you are bound to get one right"

I think this applies here, if you put in 1000 crosses, you are bound to get some right. Doesnt means hes good at it. As i said, it isnt his fault, he is being asked to play a position he isnt suited too.

CallumLaidlaw
31-10-2016, 12:33 PM
Im not "anti" anybody at Hibs. Just pointing out his obvious failings whilst still complementing him. You missed that part mind you, where i said he is a very capable full back.

To be fair, you say volume of assists, how many crosses did it take for him to get them?

I will quote a great friend of mine -

"If you buy an army of players, you are bound to get one right"

I think this applies here, if you put in 1000 crosses, you are bound to get some right. Doesnt means hes good at it. As i said, it isnt his fault, he is being asked to play a position he isnt suited too.

:faf: Touche'

JDHibs
31-10-2016, 12:37 PM
Lennon out. JDHibs in.

Ive always wondered why this is the failsafe reply for people who dont agree with the masses?

Do i think i know more than NL? No. Do i have an opinion built up of years of playing and watching football? Yes.

I pay my money like every other fan, i watch the same games, i have different viewpoints to some which is fine.

Forums wouldnt last without people having a difference of opinions.

Iain G
31-10-2016, 01:13 PM
Ive always wondered why this is the failsafe reply for people who dont agree with the masses?

Do i think i know more than NL? No. Do i have an opinion built up of years of playing and watching football? Yes.

I pay my money like every other fan, i watch the same games, i have different viewpoints to some which is fine.

Forums wouldnt last without people having a difference of opinions.

But you are comparing Lewis and all of his first team games for Hibs vs a player who has made only a handfull of appearances for said first team? You can't really compare the U20 performances of Crane with the first team? Completely different level and he has to make the step up to the first team before we really know what we have got and if he offers more than Stevenson :agree: