PDA

View Full Version : Atmosphere

Pages : [1] 2

Ozyhibby
29-10-2016, 06:56 PM
I wasn't there today but I agree with Lennon here that Easter road does tend to be a bit quiet.
http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/14831681.Hibernian_2_St_Mirren_0__Boyle_stars_in_c omfortable_win_as_Lennon_calls_for_louder_backing_ from_the_stands/?ref=rss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HibbiesandtheBaddies
29-10-2016, 07:04 PM
I can see what he's saying, and don't disagree, but it's hard to get the juices flowing sometimes for games against weaker teams.

Make the comparison against Celtc, for Neils sake. Crowd's gee'd up against Man City and Barca, but i'll guarantee it wasn't the same for their home games against St Mirren when they were at the foot of the SPL table.

Same the world over, with few exceptions I'd wager.

Hibeewilly
29-10-2016, 07:05 PM
Have to agree with that it was really quiet today:agree:

Billychaotic182
29-10-2016, 07:05 PM
He's right at times you could have heard a pin drop.

GreenCastle
29-10-2016, 07:07 PM
Watched Sunderland v Arsenal earlier - could have been a pre-season friendly.

It was pretty quiet today - but as others have pointed out the opposition doesn't exactly make for exciting games.

Hibs do need the drummer involved for longer periods of the game and I would still move the singing section to behind the goals and family section to lower west closest to famous five.

HibsNutter
29-10-2016, 07:08 PM
It's because only people in the southern sections in the East stand bother to sing.

Jim44
29-10-2016, 07:19 PM
Solved - https://youtu.be/RFPLk5mJ1D4

GreenNWhiteArmy
29-10-2016, 07:22 PM
Something I've never understood is why our singing section is where it is.

I get involved in the singing (when it filters over) but sit at the FF end of the East for the simple reason if we score a late winner in an important game you have a 50% chance the players are coming to celebrate with you.

A lot of clubs down south attack their "singing end" in the second half and must give them some momentum attacking the noise.

I actually sat in the west for the last league game against rangers and it seemed that most in that singing area wanted to spend more time goading rangers fans then watching the game

erin go bragh
29-10-2016, 07:29 PM
It's because only people in the southern sections in the East stand bother to sing.

Never heard much coming from the East today . We're in the FF lower and if you try to start a song there , you get a look like you've sprouted horns .

pedroorange1875
29-10-2016, 07:33 PM
He doesnt help matters by telling members of the crowd to p*** off, very poor behaviour from him towards paying customers, no matter what was said. He is paid to get the team going not to get involved with the crowd

Lee Marvin
29-10-2016, 07:39 PM
He doesnt help matters by telling members of the crowd to p*** off, very poor behaviour from him towards paying customers, no matter what was said. He is paid to get the team going not to get involved with the crowd

Was this today?

pedroorange1875
29-10-2016, 07:41 PM
Was this today?

Yip..poor stuff, especially when he quotes "i dont want to alienate myself".....dont then just get on with your job and ignore the plums

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-10-2016, 07:43 PM
If we had a poster come on here and talk about a negative after a showing like that then there would be a collection for a rubber mattress. There was just shy of 15k there today. If he wants jam on that then let's have the football played like the second half at East End Park and like we saw today week in and week out. Then have a mump.

Highland_Hibee
29-10-2016, 07:46 PM
Some of us spoke against the "atmosphere" a few weeks back and were talked down. Boos ring out when things go badly so surely we can be the 12th man when we need to press on.

Kojock
29-10-2016, 07:47 PM

What was said to provoke this reaction ??

GreenNWhiteArmy
29-10-2016, 07:49 PM
Some of us spoke against the "atmosphere" a few weeks back and were talked down. Boos ring out when things go badly so surely we can be the 12th man when we need to press on.

You're not allowed to question supporters mate its everyone's divine right to boo or shout abuse at players apparently.

I used to take headphones and keep them in during games. Some strange stuff comes from the stands....

marinello59
29-10-2016, 07:52 PM

If this is the incident I think it is then everybody round about was pishing themselves laughing at Lennon putting a total balloon in his place. The guy spoke more ***** than me and that's quite a feat.

marinello59
29-10-2016, 07:52 PM

90 minutes of utter pish.

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-10-2016, 07:53 PM
You're not allowed to question supporters mate its everyone's divine right to boo or shout abuse at players apparently.

I used to take headphones and keep them in during games. Some strange stuff comes from the stands....

Are supporters who boo at home better fans than the ones who come to the games and boo?

Speedy
29-10-2016, 07:54 PM
Wasn't much of an atmosphere today but when we started chanted 'Hibernian' it was as loud as I can remember.

Kojock
29-10-2016, 08:15 PM
90 minutes of utter pish.

Thought that would be the case.

Tamhere1875
29-10-2016, 08:30 PM
Move the singing section to the back of the east

Greenworld
29-10-2016, 08:38 PM
That's cause the game is ***** I have no idea what is going on but shinnie is garbish and the midfield is not working...we still don't have a playmaker we need one badley

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

chasitup
29-10-2016, 08:41 PM
Move the singing section to the back of the east
Why bother with a specific singing section at all? In the old East Stand it just happened, nobody was directed to a 'singing section'. Even then, the supposed smaller games were dire for atmosphere some games too.

Jdawg
29-10-2016, 08:41 PM
Atmosphere is generated from both sets of fans. When a team turns up with a skitter of fans then there won't be much atmosphere.

ahibby
29-10-2016, 08:47 PM
Atmosphere is generated from both sets of fans. When a team turns up with a skitter of fans then there won't be much atmosphere.

Yes agree with that. The best atmospheres I've been present in at ER were the 6-2 game, the game againt AEK Athens and the Airdrie play off game. On each occasion the stadium was almost packed.

Lee Marvin
29-10-2016, 08:47 PM
That's cause the game is ***** I have no idea what is going on but shinnie is garbish and the midfield is not working...we still don't have a playmaker we need one badley

Lol

Jonnyboy
29-10-2016, 08:48 PM
Wasn't much of an atmosphere today but when we started chanted 'Hibernian' it was as loud as I can remember.

If that's the one in the last ten minutes or so of the game it was one guy, down the front of the East, who started it on his own, kept going and eventually the chant just grew and grew! :top marks to that bloke :agree:

hibs0666
29-10-2016, 08:50 PM
The boss is bang on. Glad that he has come out with this.

NAE NOOKIE
29-10-2016, 08:51 PM
Games in the Championship just don't get the crowd going, they turn up expecting Hibs to win and with 14 to 15 thousand in the ground that should be enough to spur the players on to give their best, even if it isn't accompanied by 90 minutes of singing and chanting.

If Neil Lennon wants a better atmosphere he should get on to the board to have the singing section moved back up to the top of the east, with a view to a proper, if not standing, then at least 'singing' section in the bottom of the FF for next season ..... where it is now is just not working.

hibsmad
29-10-2016, 08:53 PM
Disappointed he's come out with that. He's been in the game long enough to know that the fans of a club who are in a lower league that they are not used to being in for three years running, who are miles bigger than their rivals, are not going to be singing and jumping up and down when they are winning two nil at home in a routine league match. It wasn't noisy today but it also wasn't particularly quiet.

I went to a Man Utd match at Old Trafford a few years ago and they beat Leicester three nil. I went to "experience the atmosphere in a 70k stadium". There genuinely felt like there was less noise than your average Hibs match.

We're back to wining ways and are three points clear at the top. Just get on with the job and keep the feel good factor going.

bigwheel
29-10-2016, 08:56 PM
since the section 43 ers moved to the bottom of the stand , there have only been a few games that the atmosphere has been decent at Easter Road...please, please move back uo top ...that would help create more atmosphere....

MWHIBBIES
29-10-2016, 09:01 PM

Sent from my SM-G903F using TapatalkDo we need a playmaker who would have, say, 5 assists in 7 league games? Because Andrew Shinnie has 5 assists in 7 league games.

marinello59
Disappointed he's come out with that. He's been in the game long enough to know that the fans of a club who are in a lower league that they are not used to being in for three years running, who are miles bigger than their rivals, are not going to be singing and jumping up and down when they are winning two nil at home in a routine league match. It wasn't noisy today but it also wasn't particularly quiet.

I went to a Man Utd match at Old Trafford a few years ago and they beat Leicester three nil. I went to "experience the atmosphere in a 70k stadium". There genuinely felt like there was less noise than your average Hibs match.

We're back to wining ways and are three points clear at the top. Just get on with the job and keep the feel good factor going.

Disappointed who has come out with what? :confused:

Frogga
There wasn't much to get excited about really. The goals were decent but otherwise it wasn't a game which would generate an atmosphere.

hibsmad
29-10-2016, 09:09 PM
Disappointed who has come out with what? :confused:

??? Read the interview.

I'm disappointed he expects more noise from the fans. In our current circumstances it's not realistic.

The fans are doing great turning out in the numbers we are. Why mention anything negative.

marinello59
29-10-2016, 09:19 PM
??? Read the interview.

I'm disappointed he expects more noise from the fans. In our current circumstances it's not realistic.

The fans are doing great turning out in the numbers we are. Why mention anything negative.

Whoops. Think I was on the wrong thread. Let's pretend I never posted that. :greengrin

IberianHibernian
29-10-2016, 09:39 PM
From Hibs TV today I was surprised to actually hear some noise from the crowd since there`s been no noise at other games I saw on TV . I was lucky enough to get to a few home games at the start of the season and the atmosphere was depressing ( against Dunfermline which was a near home end sell out there was almost no noise for example ) . Lennon will remember Easter Road as a player and manager for Celtic with south full and a noisier than usual home support but reality is that ER has never been a stadium with much atmosphere . We went from having vast , empty main terracing to smaller East Stand which apart from AEK match was hardly intimidating for away teams . Without a noisy away support ( ironically cup matches against Berwick and other smaller clubs which have brought good supports have created a better atmosphere than many league matches ) it`s hard to get a good atmosphere at ER . Doubt it`s much better if at all in other grounds in Scotland . Solution is difficult but would help if South had Hibs fans too . Make it 10 pounds for the South Stand till the end of January to get noisy away supports against Falkirk , Dundee United etc keeping half near East for home fans with season ticket holders given priority to buy for friends .

bigwheel
29-10-2016, 09:53 PM

wow...if you can't see that Shinnie was contributing well today then that is quite remarkable. And as for the Midfield not working comment...they dominated almost all the possession..

that was as good a performance as we have played since the start of the league...

Albanian Hibs
29-10-2016, 09:55 PM
If that's the one in the last ten minutes or so of the game it was one guy, down the front of the East, who started it on his own, kept going and eventually the chant just grew and grew! :top marks to that bloke :agree:

It was the "cmon ma bonnie boys" guy that sits in front of me

bigstu
29-10-2016, 09:55 PM
Sometimes i don't think managers get it. The crowd feed off the players. Currently we are bored watching Hibs. It is no coincidence that the biggest cheer of the day was when 2 of our players chased the keeper down & put some pressure on. Lennon has us playing boring football. We'd like to be entertained as well as winning.

Dashing Bob S
29-10-2016, 09:56 PM

I remember being at Man U-Liverpool in 2001. It was a night game and I was in the section right next to visiting supporters. Obviously, I went preparing for mayhem. To my shock and dismay, it was like a morgue, and bar the odd chant and sporadic comment from somebody in the crowd, it had less atmosphere than a routine Hibs v St Johnstone game I'd been at a few weeks earlier. I doubt this was typical of such an experience, and I'm still at a loss to explain why the whole occasion felt so flat.

keep the faith
29-10-2016, 09:59 PM
What I would like to see is more supporters just staying for 2 or 3 minutes to applaud the players at the end. Why do so many have to bolt before the end or as soon as the whistle goes.
The players go right round each empty stand to applaud. Why do more not want to back the players at the end??

HappyHanlon
29-10-2016, 10:01 PM
What I would like to see is more supporters just staying for 2 or 3 minutes to applaud the players at the end. Why do so many have to bolt before the end or as soon as the whistle goes.
The players go right round each empty stand to applaud. Why do more not want to back the players at the end??

Where do you sit? The East is a bloody nightmare to get out.

The Green Goblin
29-10-2016, 10:03 PM

There's a whole threads worth of its own in that topic!!

hibeejoy
29-10-2016, 10:09 PM
Atmosphere?
You've had seen it when supporters starts leaving the ground 5 minutes befor the final whistle.

lord bunberry
29-10-2016, 10:17 PM
The problem with the atmosphere today was that my daughter had the temerity to have a birthday on the Saturday of a home game. If I'm not there the atmosphere falls apart. I single handedly am responsible for the atmosphere at Easter Road :greengrin

Jonnyboy
29-10-2016, 10:18 PM

Good on him :agree::aok:

iwasthere1972
29-10-2016, 10:32 PM

Is that the same guy who used to sing the Hibs lullaby in the East stand before it was rebuilt?

iwasthere1972
29-10-2016, 10:37 PM
Sometimes i don't think managers get it. The crowd feed off the players. Currently we are bored watching Hibs. It is no coincidence that the biggest cheer of the day was when 2 of our players chased the keeper down & put some pressure on. Lennon has us playing boring football. We'd like to be entertained as well as winning.

:agree: The football we played under Stubbs was more pleasing to the eye and was thoroughly entertaining at the same time. What we have to watch with Lennon in charge doesn't get me off my seat. It's not pretty football but we're top of the league. That's the difference I suppose.

IberianHibernian
29-10-2016, 10:55 PM
:agree: The football we played under Stubbs was more pleasing to the eye and was thoroughly entertaining at the same time. What we have to watch with Lennon in charge doesn't get me off my seat. It's not pretty football but we're top of the league. That's the difference I suppose.
Not sure it`s down to the manager . In Stubbs`first season Scott Allan provided entertainment even when we didn`t get great results . Malonga was always an entertainer for us .in cup and league . Hopefully we can clinch promotion and play some entertaining football .

Borderhibbie76
29-10-2016, 10:58 PM
Nice football doesn't get us promoted...as has been proven the last 2 years. Yes it not as pretty on the eye this season but I for one do not give a toss as long as we stay top

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

bigstu
29-10-2016, 11:01 PM
Nice football doesn't get us promoted...as has been proven the last 2 years. Yes it not as pretty on the eye this season but I for one do not give a toss as long as we stay top

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Fair enough but don't expect a carnival atmosphere every game

northstandhibby
29-10-2016, 11:06 PM
Fair enough but don't expect a carnival atmosphere every game

The games before lifting the championship trophy are absolutely certain of being a carnival celebratory atmosphere if it is wrapped up some games prior to being proclaimed Champions.

I can guarantee it. There is still a lot of anxiety of spending yet another year in this league.

Mon the Cabbage.

GGTTH

keep the faith
29-10-2016, 11:12 PM
Where do you sit? The East is a bloody nightmare to get out.

I'm in the west. the east is almost deserted as soon as the final whistle goes, bar some huddles round the exits.
Each to their own, but I don't understand the rush to get out at the expense of acknowledging the players.

California-Hibs
29-10-2016, 11:15 PM

I've read this over a few times and the first time I laughed as I thought it was obviously a wynd up, but after going over it a few times after I think you may be being serious? Tell me you're not serious?! I'm not gonna bite and call you clueless cause it just had to be a wynd up...

Glory Lurker
29-10-2016, 11:35 PM
Bamboozled by this thread. Okay, little stadium-round singing going on, but I thought the atmosphere was very positive. Apart from two or three total ramjets round about, who probably complained Stokes was ball greedy at about 15:02.47 on 21/05.

cabbageandribs1875
29-10-2016, 11:46 PM

i concur, that early goal really should have set us up for finally piling up the goals for column

monktonharp
30-10-2016, 12:13 AM
The boss is bang on. Glad that he has come out with this.:top marks also agree very much with the chant of Hibernian,. it came at a crucial time and galvanised the team to see the game out. I'm at a loss at times re-the atmosphere when we have a great crowd inside though. I naughtily said a sweary word, in the East then saw bairns along the row. I felt so bad:rolleyes:

givescotlandfreedom
30-10-2016, 12:26 AM
I thought the atmosphere was pretty flat too, especially given the decent numbers. Likewise against Dundee United. But the product on the park hasn't been very exciting as alluded to by my old friend bigstu so you can see why. Lennon must remember the league atmosphere at Parkhead being crap we've certainly taunted them about it.

murray26
30-10-2016, 12:30 AM
What do people expect at home v st mirren.. the atmosphere was what you'd expect.. good numbers coming back and a good performance.. that's the important thing..

Billychaotic182
30-10-2016, 12:35 AM
Sha la la la la la la oooooh hibeeeeessss! Let's belt it out next home game

monktonharp
30-10-2016, 12:36 AM
I think the manager does have a point when we go a goal up, and have 14100 fans against 300 buddies fans, why not make a noise and give the team a further boost? 12th man and aw that? gie the guy a brek.

Phil MaGlass
30-10-2016, 06:45 AM
What I find strange is, 14,000 Hibs fans cant get behind their team and make some noise, considering we have been in this league for what seems like decades, promotion is a must this season and I now dont think we will skoosh this league. FFS make some noise.

green day
30-10-2016, 06:54 AM
Wonder if the club will take his comments on board and put the sect 43 guys back up top? I think they do a great job, but need help from Hibs.

To be honest, this is a symptom of all seated stadiums everywhere - even the jambos with their "amazing tynecastle atmosphere©" are saying it's a bit flat these days.

Pretty Boy
30-10-2016, 06:58 AM
It's not really unique to Hibs though is it?

I go to Newcastle games relatively often and when it was a crap game against a West Brom or Stoke you could hear a pin drop. It will likely be different this year as they are involved in a title battle.

For all the talk about the 'special atmosphere' at places like Celtic Park and Anfield if you watch their games on TV and it's a crap game against a team they expect to beat it's pretty quiet, every week isn't like a Champions League game.

Since90+2
30-10-2016, 06:58 AM
If the club really want to improve atmosphere the answer is to create a safe standing singing section in the FF lower.

Have the club ever been directly asked about introducing safe standing?

My ST is in section 43 which is generally regarded as the signing section of the stadium however around half of the fans still insist on sitting. Surely if you want to sit at games you could choose any other section of the ground and leave this one area to folk who wish to stand? This kills the atmosphere even further as you have a sort of weird mix of folk wanting to stand and sing plus some families and older folk sitting.

Sure the fans can do more to create a better atmosphere for your run of the mill games but the club could also help in some ways.

Ardenttwo
30-10-2016, 07:40 AM

Thought it was halarious when the fans started off off off as soon as Marv touched the ba

Phil MaGlass
30-10-2016, 07:54 AM
Just a wee comparison, my team in Holland has made the stand behind the goals (lets say the FF) an open area, you buy a ticket for the stand and you take your seat where you like, you can also stand, most folk make for directly behind the goals (singing section) and all stand, this makes for a great atmosphere, not only is noise generated but the East Stand also stand and make a shed load of noise. the both stands sort of feed off and try to out do each other with noise. It doesnt work all the time, but because the kids section is also behind the other goals and is mostly full you then have 3 stands generating noise for a large part of the game. We also generate between 11-15,00 for games.

Our fan section, which also has its own room, storage and working area in the stadium, make thousands of flags, and a few mega flags they also make collections a couple of times a season to buy these hand held streamer cannons that fire streamers.
They let off the flares around the pitch and pay for noisy firework displays, all in all, good entertainment.

RIP
30-10-2016, 07:54 AM
A few facts on the dynamics of stadium singing would help. I can't say I'm an expert but as for my opinion.

In any stadium there is commonly one area or group who generate the songs for others to join in.

Within that group there is usually half a dozen folk who launch the song.

In the old East the singing was usually started by the lads who congregated at the back of the TV camera gantry near the South.

When the new East was built Fife Hyland sited the singing section in exactly the same place. Sections 42 to 44 back 20 rows.

The East Stand Singing Section campaign intervened and invited singers to buy STs in S43. During the early Hibs12thMan and Sect43 days we had the loudest most vocal support in the SPL. Neil will remember that era?

Eye-bleeding bad football, crappie managers, underinvestment in the squad and relegation dampened the atmosphere.

The Sect43 guys tried to relocate down the front leaving the back of S43 (where the acoustics have always been greatly superior ) without its song starters.

My first game in S43 for a while and disappointingly had to sit - which is ***** for singing. However me and my brother (60 and 58) both joined in enthusiastically with the Hibernian chant.

Would the small group down the front consider moving back up for one game by way of a pilot? Wouldn't take long for the singing section to get its mojo back I reckon.

Keith_M
30-10-2016, 08:02 AM
If Neil Lennon wants a better atmosphere he should get on to the board to have the singing section moved back up to the top of the east,

:top marks

It just hasn't been the same since part of the singing section was artificially move to the front of the stand and separated from the rest of the supporters at the back who would formerly join in.

Add to that the fact that the noise generated is simply louder at the back of the stand, than at the front, because of the acoustics.

WhileTheChief..
30-10-2016, 08:26 AM
I've always thought a decent atmosphere just happens naturally depending on the circumstances.

If St Mirren had scored in 80 mins then the noise would have cranked up and songs would have been sung.

When things are as flat as yesterday and one guy in your section starts belting out a song himself then yeah, folk tend to just look around and smile without joining in. Feels a bit fake and try hard to me.

Best atmospheres I've experienced at ER were Athens and the 6-2 game. No singing sections back then!

marinello59
30-10-2016, 08:27 AM
:top marks

It just hasn't been the same since part of the singing section was artificially move to the front of the stand and separated from the rest of the supporters at the back who would formerly join in.

Add to that the fact that the noise generated is simply louder at the back of the stand, than at the front, because of the acoustics.

Are they still there then? There used to be posts on here before every game telling people how to get a voucher to access those seats. Has that been binned now?

Albanian Hibs
30-10-2016, 08:28 AM
Is that the same guy who used to sing the Hibs lullaby in the East stand before it was rebuilt?

Yeah the lullaby still gets belted out every home game.

wearethehibs
30-10-2016, 09:48 AM
People saying the guys down the front should move up the back, how exactly can they do that? What happens to the people that sit in those seats?

I gave up after 15mins today when I stopped singing and realised I was the only person actually singing.

Canon Hannan
30-10-2016, 09:51 AM
I fully agree with Neil.
We need to create a great atmosphere and ER is perfect forthis. I would set aside 1000 -1500 seatsbehind the goal – lower tier for the Ultras section and start recruiting nowfor next season. They need to beorganised and united together. I amhappy to help and plan with Hibs FC themselves. Modern stadiums are killing atmospheres and the fans need to gathertogether behind the goal. If this is notpossible then section 43 at the back is ok, but not as good.
I attended OGC Nice for 2 seasons and they have 12-15,000fans with around 2-3000 behind the goals. Their stadium is 35,000 and half empty but their Ultras sing for 90minutes non stop no matter what score. It is brilliant to see and hear and their songs are great. I would copy many of their songs and add Hibernianwording. It is no coincidence Nice aretop of Ligue 1. The fans are brilliantand have the best fans in France. Theyhave 2 guys with loud mikes at the front shouting and starting the songsbetween them. They gather early and haveflags and banners set up before the match. It is not difficult but takes time and effort from a few to organisealong with the clubs backing. OGC Niceactually set this section aside for the Ultras. They have an alternative Ultra group at the other end of the stadium andsing back and firth too. But I wouldstart with one Ultra section.
Does anyone have Frank’s email address for contact? I am happy to help and have good knowledge asI was part of Section 43, 12th man originally in a small part. I also feel we could have the best fans inScotland behind the goal. Even St Johnstoneand Motherwell have 50-100 Ultras who really good and keep the atmosphere goingfor 90 minutes solid.
We need to plan now for next season as this would taketime. Plus the club need to help.
CH

H18 SFR
30-10-2016, 09:55 AM
Some really interesting points been made so far. I agree with Lennon and would also like to see the club take the lead with this.

Canon Hannan
30-10-2016, 10:00 AM
Some really interesting points been made so far. I agree with Lennon and would also like to see the club take the lead with this.

https://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A7x9UnfkwxVYcQsANBh3Bwx.;_ylu=X3oDMTBs YWhiN2NvBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2lyMgR2dGlkAw--?p=OGC+NICE+ULTRAS+SONGS&hspart=iry&hsimp=yhs-fullyhosted_003#id=1&vid=beb799efe084e928d5232672c85f8712&action=view

Please PM me if you want to help or meet? Thanks.

Carheenlea
30-10-2016, 10:02 AM
No matter what you do you cant manufacture "atmosphere" in a football ground. Yesterday was a comfortable afternoon and the atmosphere reflected that, and at no point was I concerned about it.

H18 SFR
30-10-2016, 10:08 AM

Broken Gnome
30-10-2016, 10:10 AM
No matter what you do you cant manufacture "atmosphere" in a football ground. Yesterday was a comfortable afternoon and the atmosphere reflected that, and at no point was I concerned about it.

Counter-argument to that would be...

How often we moaned about not scoring early and struggling aimlessly to break teams down? When we do score early and actually get a second to kill a game off, the team didn't really get much vocal backing as a reward for that, did they?

GreenCastle
30-10-2016, 10:12 AM
Few things..

Agree about section 43 - been a massive plus over the years especially when east was first built and the team were rubbish. Some amazing singing.

We have good fans who make a noise - cup final - semi finals - cup games - playoffs - derbies (always outsing the yams).

The challenge is against teams who don't bring many fans or offer much fight on the pitch.

Dunfermline away last week showed a positive backing 2nd half can spur the team on with lower numbers.

The difficulty is relocating those in famous five lower to somewhere else - not sure the club would do that or fans who have sat there for a while want that.

Behind the goals wth flags, drums, colours and easier for displays from upper tier is the way forward. Standing would be ideal but not sure cost ? Celtic ?

It's good to see he stadium more fill this season especially younger ones so I wouldn't be wary of upsetting the families who support the club though.

Canon Hannan
30-10-2016, 10:29 AM
Few things..

Agree about section 43 - been a massive plus over the years especially when east was first built and the team were rubbish. Some amazing singing.

We have good fans who make a noise - cup final - semi finals - cup games - playoffs - derbies (always outsing the yams).

The challenge is against teams who don't bring many fans or offer much fight on the pitch.

Dunfermline away last week showed a positive backing 2nd half can spur the team on with lower numbers.

The difficulty is relocating those in famous five lower to somewhere else - not sure the club would do that or fans who have sat there for a while want that.

Behind the goals wth flags, drums, colours and easier for displays from upper tier is the way forward. Standing would be ideal but not sure cost ? Celtic ?

It's good to see he stadium more fill this season especially younger ones so I wouldn't be wary of upsetting the families who support the club though.

Some good points there.

Email sent to Hibs 5 minutes ago to organise a meet.

Please PM me if interested?

skyehibee
30-10-2016, 10:33 AM
Can I not just be left in peace to eat my prawn cocktail sandwich neil??

frazeHFC
30-10-2016, 10:34 AM
Bit surprised he's openly criticised the fans, but he does have a point. Easter Road is absolutely terrible for atmosphere unless it's a game against a 'big' team.

The players even say in the Time for Heroes DVD that they notice it and love it when the stands are bouncing.

Carheenlea
30-10-2016, 10:35 AM
Counter-argument to that would be...

How often we moaned about not scoring early and struggling aimlessly to break teams down? When we do score early and actually get a second to kill a game off, the team didn't really get much vocal backing as a reward for that, did they?

Fair point.

Another factor to the quiet quieter atmosphere would have been the small contingent of away fans scattered thinly over the visitors section. Good away supports are often in good spirits and vocal (just look at us on our travels), and a home support will react to that. Throw in a referee making a dogs dinner of things then the volume is also raised considerably. Atmosphere is more than just singing songs.

WestStandMoaner
30-10-2016, 10:50 AM

The guy shouted hibs should be 5 up and Lennon told him to p...off, Lennon should not get involved we have been there before with Malpas and it never ends well.

Canon Hannan
30-10-2016, 11:03 AM
Fair point.

Another factor to the quiet quieter atmosphere would have been the small contingent of away fans scattered thinly over the visitors section. Good away supports are often in good spirits and vocal (just look at us on our travels), and a home support will react to that. Throw in a referee making a dogs dinner of things then the volume is also raised considerably. Atmosphere is more than just singing songs.

In France there is between 0 and 500 away fans. This does not stop the home support. It helps the team drive forward at all times.

HappyHanlon
30-10-2016, 11:07 AM
Would love to see a singing section behind the goals in the FF Lower. Safe standing seems to be the new idea which is taking off so we should get on board.

Yeah it'll annoy punters currently sitting there but offer them discount on a seat move and i'm sure they'll be up for moving.

Would love to see a Easter Road that bounces not only in Derby matches but for all games.

Baldy Foghorn
30-10-2016, 11:11 AM
Lennon is spot on......The home fans can be too quiet, waiting on things to happen. We need to be more vocal at home (and positive)

matty_f
30-10-2016, 11:29 AM
Lennon is spot on......The home fans can be too quiet, waiting on things to happen. We need to be more vocal at home (and positive)

I agree with this. It was really quiet yesterday, the game lacked an incident to get everyone going but at the same time i think we can do more to help the team out.

It's more enjoyable for everyone when there's a good atmosphere in the ground.

IanFaeClerrie
30-10-2016, 11:30 AM
The boss is bang on. Glad that he has come out with this.

Agree and I agree with the comments about the singing section. When the singing section was created, because it was at the back, mor epeople got involved. I think a lot of the guys moved to the front for good reason including getting away from the smike grenades but it has resulted in them having less impact and taking less of the stand with them when they start singing - and we are out of time.

Plus of course, we need some new songs.
We need player songs
We've stopped sinigng about John McGinn - a pity as he needs a confidence boost - I assume because "Neil Lennon" doesn't fit as well as "Alan Stubbs"
Clearly, we need a Martin Boyle song
I can't bring myself to sing a Grant Holt song.

We also need specific songs to sing in 'peace time' i.e. not immediately after goals.

I think the lead has to continue to come from the sinigng section - they need to improve. I sing when others do - I used to be in the singing section but I've stayed in my seat at the back.

Keith_M
30-10-2016, 11:31 AM
Other than assist any Fans that do want to help create an atmosphere by allowing them to sit in the same section, I'm not sure what the club can really do to help. You can't force fans to sing.

There have been some suggestions that the 'Singing Section' should be moved to behind the goals but the problem with that is that there doesn't seem to be such a group anymore to move. The people making the suggestion rarely offer to join in with any such movement, and would rather leave it to others.

We had 'Section 43' when the East Stand first opened and the atmosphere was fantastic. They managed to make that atmosphere at games without being located in the FF Lower, so that kinda undermines the behind the goals argument as well.

A couple of people have pointed out that the eye-bleeding football gradually wore down people's enthusiasm but, IMO, we're past that stage now but it will take a similar group of Fans to kick start what was already there previously.

jacomo
30-10-2016, 11:53 AM
This is both about the team and the supporters. Yes the team have a responsibility to get the crowd going but ER is undoubtedly a quiet stadium at times.

The problem with the old East is that the atmosphere didn't carry to other parts of the ground. It could be fairly bouncing in there but deathly elsewhere.

Now the East has changed from being the most enclosed part of the ground to the most open, but sometimes struggles to get a noise going.

IMO changing the FF Lower to a standing section - with cheaper tickets - would create another noisy section and help the atmosphere no end. Inconvenient for those who sit there now, but they are all moaners anymore :wink:

Baldy Foghorn
30-10-2016, 11:54 AM
I agree with this. It was really quiet yesterday, the game lacked an incident to get everyone going but at the same time i think we can do more to help the team out.

It's more enjoyable for everyone when there's a good atmosphere in the ground.

We need to recreate our away atmosphere, at home

Keith_M
30-10-2016, 12:06 PM

Does that include the bottle throwing and paedophile songs?

:duck:

jax67
30-10-2016, 12:11 PM

I nearly bit!! Hahaha!

IanFaeClerrie
30-10-2016, 12:18 PM

You're right. As soon as I heard it, I started it at the back . Only 30 seconds but encouraging as the West got going.

NAE NOOKIE
30-10-2016, 02:05 PM
Just a wee comparison, my team in Holland has made the stand behind the goals (lets say the FF) an open area, you buy a ticket for the stand and you take your seat where you like, you can also stand, most folk make for directly behind the goals (singing section) and all stand, this makes for a great atmosphere, not only is noise generated but the East Stand also stand and make a shed load of noise. the both stands sort of feed off and try to out do each other with noise. It doesnt work all the time, but because the kids section is also behind the other goals and is mostly full you then have 3 stands generating noise for a large part of the game. We also generate between 11-15,00 for games.

Our fan section, which also has its own room, storage and working area in the stadium, make thousands of flags, and a few mega flags they also make collections a couple of times a season to buy these hand held streamer cannons that fire streamers.
They let off the flares around the pitch and pay for noisy firework displays, all in all, good entertainment.

This is along the lines of what I have wanted to see at Easter Road since the atmosphere debate started not long after the East was built. IMO the FF lower should be given over to the singing section / Ultras whatever you want to call them. They should have storage boxes where they can leave their flags and banners between games and be made to feel that this is 'their' part of the stadium ...... I'm positive that if we can promote that feeling within the younger element of our support the singing section will grow and grow until the 2,000 capacity of the FF lower has a waiting list.

I cant think of a single successful 'Kop' type area in any stadium that constitutes one section of a whole stand or half of a stand. If you want to give a ground a section that generates noise during games then by far the best way to go is use a part of the ground that is clearly identifiable as such, in our case the only place this can be done is the FF lower ..... I appreciate that's still half a stand, but its self contained and that makes a huge difference.

I'm also convinced that a singing section there would engage the other stands much more, because it would be far more obvious as the singing section and you wouldn't be able to miss it when they start a song or chant, unlike the handful of brave hardy souls who constitute that section at the moment, whose efforts get lost in the vastness of the new East ...... it remains small in numbers because it has little or no identity and folk have no idea how to join it, or cant be bothered to ( as far as I'm aware, I stand to be corrected ) apply for some sort of special voucher to join in.

I would point out that Spurs are currently spending a fortune on a state of the art stadium, it will be jaw dropping when its finished .... but they have still sacrificed the symmetry of the stadium in order to fit in a massive single deck 'Kop' area behind one goal in the hope I would imagine of replicating Borussia Dortmund's 'yellow wall' .............. I guarantee you that fans of Arsenal and West Ham will be green with envy in their stadiums, which may be very symmetrical and pretty, but have no scope for an easily identifiable 'kop' style section.

Its time we did this and I cant for the life of me see why Hibs seem unwilling to commit to it ..... the benefits could be substantial, yes it might annoy a few FF diehards who don't want to move, but if its going to benefit the club, and especially the atmosphere inside the stadium then surely its worth moving to accommodate it ......... I can say this as an FF diehard who would be one of the folk moving.

RIP
30-10-2016, 02:28 PM
We need to knock the subject of a singing section in the Famous Five stand on the head. This has been put to the management on numerous occasions at forums and LWT but ever since they made the FF the family end it's been a complete nonstarter for them.

Imagine the stink of telling a thousand families many with ST's that they have to move out of the seat they've had for years to make way for a small singing section?

Unless Leanne says she will consider it we need to focus all our energies on a fan-led revival of the singing section in the East.

jacomo
30-10-2016, 02:44 PM
We need to knock the subject of a singing section in the Famous Five stand on the head. This has been put to the management on numerous occasions at forums and LWT but ever since they made the FF the family end it's been a complete nonstarter for them.

Imagine the stink of telling a thousand families many with ST's that they have to move out of the seat they've had for years to make way for a small singing section?

Unless Leanne says she will consider it we need to focus all our energies on a fan-led revival of the singing section in the East.

Sometimes change is necessary. We need a busier and more atmospheric match day atmosphere. Nothing should be off the table.

RIP
30-10-2016, 02:47 PM
People saying the guys down the front should move up the back, how exactly can they do that? What happens to the people that sit in those seats?

There are plenty twos and threes dotted about at the top of S43 available for walk ups. My family have 4 ST's in DD and we would be more than happy to relocate a couple of rows to have you lads back up beside us again.

If theres a will, there's a way.

GreenNWhiteArmy
30-10-2016, 02:58 PM

Said it earlier and I'll say it again. The singing section should be towards the FF end of the East. So our fans have something to attack and drag them over the line at times if needed.

Instead they're near enough at the south stand so they can engage in nonsense with the away support. Easter Road could be a fortress, if we wanted it to be

Dashing Bob S
30-10-2016, 03:02 PM
This is both about the team and the supporters. Yes the team have a responsibility to get the crowd going but ER is undoubtedly a quiet stadium at times.

The problem with the old East is that the atmosphere didn't carry to other parts of the ground. It could be fairly bouncing in there but deathly elsewhere.

Now the East has changed from being the most enclosed part of the ground to the most open, but sometimes struggles to get a noise going.

IMO changing the FF Lower to a standing section - with cheaper tickets - would create another noisy section and help the atmosphere no end. Inconvenient for those who sit there now, but they are all moaners anymore :wink:

This has to happen. You have that as a dedicated singing section, songs will spread to the upper tier following a minor incident, the east following a major one and the west in the event of a nuclear war or AEK Athens or Ivan Sproule coming on in 2-0 'unbeatable' derby.

lucky
30-10-2016, 03:09 PM
I think it's far too early in NL term as manager of Hibernian to be laying into fans. ER was quiet yesterday but no quieter than the majority of grounds where the away support is tiny and the game is so one sided. If the players had taken their chances and started playing quick free flowing football I'm sure the atmosphere would be at the level NL wants.

NAE NOOKIE
30-10-2016, 03:17 PM

The biggest change the new regime at this bloomin' football club surely hope to implement is that we no longer go ... 'we cant coz its aye been' .... If there's one thing in this world that's adaptable its bairns. One of the reasons that a lot of these kids fade away after their parents stop dragging them along is because they get bored with the whole experience ...... If those young kids were sitting in the new 'family' section in the north end of the east stand perhaps they would look longingly at the 'singing section' in the FF lower and pester their parents to let them become part of it as soon as they can.

Yes the singing section is small at the moment .... but that's the whole point of this argument, what we want / need to do is grow the singing section and I'm convinced that having their own area based in the FF lower would do just that. I would bet dollars to donuts that if in January Hibs announced that rail seats were being installed in the FF lower and season tickets were going to be sold for it as a standing area at the start of next season we would sell at least 1,000 and have a minimum of 500 walk ups going there at every game.

Its LD's job to take seriously things that will be good for this club and not only that but engage the fans at the same time ... if you ask me there would surely be general support for anything that would improve the atmosphere at Easter Road. If we do get promoted exactly how many folk currently in the FF lower who have suffered 3 seasons of Championship football are going to refuse to renew for next season just because they will have to watch from the east stand ..... its not as if the view from there is rubbish.

IanFaeClerrie
30-10-2016, 03:53 PM
They should have storage boxes where they can leave their flags and banners between games and be made to feel that this is 'their' part of the stadium ......

I htink that's been in place for a couple of years

Jack Hackett
30-10-2016, 04:24 PM
With the dramatic increase in attendances, could it simply be that a large number of returnees have forgotten how to sing or express themselves 'exuberantly'? It can take time for those who haven't been to games for a while to have the confidence to make themselves heard. Playing against teams who bring a large vocal support does help though.

Vini1875
30-10-2016, 04:36 PM
ER has been a quietish stadium for as long as I can remember, the old east stand included. There would be more noise if games were more exciting, but this division is going to be a struggle for us, NL has to understand beating a poor St. Mirren is simply job done rather than a cause for jubilation. I actually don't think many grounds have much atmosphere in them even the atmosphere at away games is only slightly better. To expect that the singing section S43 or what ever can lead the stadium is asking too much imho, they are young boys who don't really come up with songs that the rest of the fans get behind except for a couple of notable ones.

Albanian Hibs
30-10-2016, 05:57 PM
There are too many people at our home games who would rather moan than sing. Even at 2-0 the usual moaners in the row behind me were calling the players useless ****s etc. I have sat in the same seat for 3 seasons now but I am thinking of moving.

RIP
30-10-2016, 06:22 PM
ER has been a quietish stadium for as long as I can remember, the old east stand included. There would be more noise if games were more exciting, but this division is going to be a struggle for us, NL has to understand beating a poor St. Mirren is simply job done rather than a cause for jubilation. I actually don't think many grounds have much atmosphere in them even the atmosphere at away games is only slightly better. To expect that the singing section S43 or what ever can lead the stadium is asking too much imho, they are young boys who don't really come up with songs that the rest of the fans get behind except for a couple of notable ones.

They did a pretty good job in season 2010/11

Steve-O
30-10-2016, 07:47 PM
The biggest change the new regime at this bloomin' football club surely hope to implement is that we no longer go ... 'we cant coz its aye been' .... If there's one thing in this world that's adaptable its bairns. One of the reasons that a lot of these kids fade away after their parents stop dragging them along is because they get bored with the whole experience ...... If those young kids were sitting in the new 'family' section in the north end of the east stand perhaps they would look longingly at the 'singing section' in the FF lower and pester their parents to let them become part of it as soon as they can.

Yes the singing section is small at the moment .... but that's the whole point of this argument, what we want / need to do is grow the singing section and I'm convinced that having their own area based in the FF lower would do just that. I would bet dollars to donuts that if in January Hibs announced that rail seats were being installed in the FF lower and season tickets were going to be sold for it as a standing area at the start of next season we would sell at least 1,000 and have a minimum of 500 walk ups going there at every game.

Its LD's job to take seriously things that will be good for this club and not only that but engage the fans at the same time ... if you ask me there would surely be general support for anything that would improve the atmosphere at Easter Road. If we do get promoted exactly how many folk currently in the FF lower who have suffered 3 seasons of Championship football are going to refuse to renew for next season just because they will have to watch from the east stand ..... its not as if the view from there is rubbish.

Agreed.

ShinyFantastic
30-10-2016, 07:49 PM
What right has he got! Most people like myself are falling asleep at having to watch us play these rank 'football teams' for the third year in a row so no wonder the atmosphere is slightly quiet. I'm sorry but it just doesn't whet the appetite for me having nothing to look forward to, no cup runs, dreadful football..... I'd still be at every Hibs game if we were in a pub league but for god sake let's get out of this league and end this boredom!!!

keep the faith
30-10-2016, 07:53 PM
There are too many people at our home games who would rather moan than sing. Even at 2-0 the usual moaners in the row behind me were calling the players useless ****s etc. I have sat in the same seat for 3 seasons now but I am thinking of moving.

Yep. There are a few in the west lower who loudly slate fyvie. Even when he is running the show. It's incredible.

MWHIBBIES
30-10-2016, 07:56 PM
What right has he got! Most people like myself are falling asleep at having to watch us play these rank 'football teams' for the third year in a row so no wonder the atmosphere is slightly quiet. I'm sorry but it just doesn't whet the appetite for me having nothing to look forward to, no cup runs, dreadful football..... I'd still be at every Hibs game if we were in a pub league but for god sake let's get out of this league and end this boredom!!!Last season was the most dramatic and exciting season in our history. We don't play dreadful football, either.

Mr White
30-10-2016, 08:01 PM
What right has he got! Most people like myself are falling asleep at having to watch us play these rank 'football teams' for the third year in a row so no wonder the atmosphere is slightly quiet. I'm sorry but it just doesn't whet the appetite for me having nothing to look forward to, no cup runs, dreadful football..... I'd still be at every Hibs game if we were in a pub league but for god sake let's get out of this league and end this boredom!!!
Aye when Ross County, st johnstone, partick thistle, hamilton and ICT eventually head back to easter road we'll be right back to an atmosphere somewhere between that found in the westfalenstadion and the mosh pit of a rage against the machine gig right enough :greengrin

RoscoHibby
30-10-2016, 08:01 PM
Have to say the guys with the drum need to get back to where they were.
I remember joining in with 4-5 minute renditions of terry butchers green n white army....and he gave us very little to shout about, and not just derbys, jst standard league games as well. Rest of the stadium used to join in more as well.

I think the game that sparked them moving down the front, when a few neds went crazy with smoke bombs, was against Cowdenbeath im sure. It's such a shame this happened, because the atmosphere was unbelievable, the East was rocking, bouncing, against Cowdenbeath...

Cmon guys, make it happen, it's gonna be a long cold winter and they're gonna need our support. This is the one thing we as fans can do to pretty much guarantee an improvement in the atmosphere.

ShinyFantastic
30-10-2016, 08:25 PM
Last season was the most dramatic and exciting season in our history. We don't play dreadful football, either.

Of course last season gave me the best day of my life. But that's completely aside to the league games which were/are just awful. And yes we do play dreadful football. If I see Grant Holt mis-time a jump attempting to control a 60 yard punt from a centre half one more time I might gouge my eyes out.

MWHIBBIES
30-10-2016, 09:17 PM
Of course last season gave me the best day of my life. But that's completely aside to the league games which were/are just awful. And yes we do play dreadful football. If I see Grant Holt mis-time a jump attempting to control a 60 yard punt from a centre half one more time I might gouge my eyes out.Go for it, you aren't putting them to much use if you think we play dreadful football. Butcher and Calderwood were real dreadful football.

JDHibs
31-10-2016, 09:16 AM
Think NL is right with what he says, but it might have been down to the type of game on Saturday? It was a cruise for the team, a glorified training game, not really something that would stir the crowd. For instance, at the end of the game, Section 43 started the David Gray chant, he was sauntering back up the pitch with his head down, he didnt even acknowledge it, the players need to do their part aswell!

When the team are struggling or needing to get back into a game, the fans back the players and rightfully so!

Id be happy to help out organizing things, im in section 43, half way up. The guys at the front do a great job but think they would be better at the back again so the noise can filter down the section.

We definitely need something more organized like the things other clubs in Europe do, not saying copy them but megaphones, flags etc is a great start. But we need everyone to come together, not keen on "signing sections", all the fans should join in.

Guy on facebook was setting up a meeting with Hibs to get things moving, be good for Amit/Frank, Bounce, .Net, Hibspaige and Fans News to get together and have a chat. That would filter out to the majority of fans.

We need to make Easter Road a fortress, an atmosphere that the players revel in!

green&left
31-10-2016, 09:21 AM
He's spot on, the atmosphere was utter p1sh and generally has been for years. The early leaving thing is strange aswell. About two thirds of the crowd are in their cars before the final whistle has even went. Never understood leaving early just so you can sit in the pub or your house for an extra 5 minutes. And before the bed wetters jump in I know you pay you're money and you are entitled to do what you want etc etc.

Brightside
31-10-2016, 09:45 AM
He's spot on, the atmosphere was utter p1sh and generally has been for years. The early leaving thing is strange aswell. About two thirds of the crowd are in their cars before the final whistle has even went. Never understood leaving early just so you can sit in the pub or your house for an extra 5 minutes. And before the bed wetters jump in I know you pay you're money and you are entitled to do what you want etc etc.

Two thirds of the crowd have really importantly places to be at 445. You aren't allowed to qn them leaving early. Also any kind of singing or encouragement tends to be frowned upon in the West stand. The increased attendance also seems to have uncovered a lot of people with bladder issues!

Steve20
31-10-2016, 10:19 AM
Two thirds of the crowd have really importantly places to be at 445. You aren't allowed to qn them leaving early. Also any kind of singing or encouragement tends to be frowned upon in the West stand. The increased attendance also seems to have uncovered a lot of people with bladder issues!

Why would you question them leaving early anyway? What's it got to do with anyone else what someone does with their time?

Brightside
31-10-2016, 10:33 AM
Why would you question them leaving early anyway? What's it got to do with anyone else what someone does with their time?

Dont complain about the atmosphere if you are happy for the place to empty 10 mins before the final whistle.

The Modfather
31-10-2016, 10:51 AM
Dont complain about the atmosphere if you are happy for the place to empty 10 mins before the final whistle.

Who has done that? What about the atmosphere for the other 80 minutes?

Never understand the posts of those complaining about when folk leave, or the fascination with attendances either. I'm in control of when I go to games and what time I choose to leave a game. What others do is not within my control so not anything to concern myself with.

Keith_M
31-10-2016, 11:45 AM
Do people leave the cinema 10 minutes before the end?

erin go bragh
31-10-2016, 11:45 AM
What do people expect at home v st mirren.. the atmosphere was what you'd expect.. good numbers coming back and a good performance.. that's the important thing..

I can remember a midweek game a few seasons ago v St Mirren . Much smaller crowd but there was a great atmosphere. .

RIP
31-10-2016, 12:07 PM
Who has done that? What about the atmosphere for the other 80 minutes?

Never understand the posts of those complaining about when folk leave, or the fascination with attendances either. I'm in control of when I go to games and what time I choose to leave a game. What others do is not within my control so not anything to concern myself with.

Get your point Frank. Can we not see the difference between encouraging Hibs fans to support their team through to the final whistle and acknowledge the players and being understanding cool about people who genuinely need to leave early due to family or travel commitments? I think we can be cool with both - can't we?.

RIP
31-10-2016, 12:14 PM

Aye Brockie. :thumbsup:

As for Hibs v St Mirren, a good few hundred singing here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhBNWZsaorM

WeeRussell
31-10-2016, 12:17 PM

Agree with you 100% :aok:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
31-10-2016, 12:56 PM

:agree:

RyeSloan
31-10-2016, 01:04 PM
I'm at a loss as to why people think having the same few people in the FF would make any difference to the atmosphere compared to them being in the east...

Anyway NL is a bit confused if he thinks he will get a belting atmosphere against the bottom of the division team when his side is only playing in fits and starts but still cruising the game.

Basically the match was a stroll...there was almost no controversial incidents nor did the team ever look in trouble...no wonder the atmosphere was pretty flat, there was booger all to get exited about

wookie70
31-10-2016, 01:33 PM
No problem with Lennon asking for more noise bit he has to be a wee bit careful. Not sure his constructive criticism has worked with Cummings and it may backfire with the crowd if we have a few bad results.
I think atmosphere comes from excitement, hatred and anger at football. We win most weeks and are playing teams that don't mean enough to us to create hatred. That leaves excitement and that is down to the team. The Dunfermline game shows what happens to a crowd when the team starts to be more exiting and dynamic. At ER the games are pretty boring and we don't really play a brand of exiting football. Boyle showed that 100% commitment can exite on Saturday as his efforts generated some atmosphere.

If Lennon is desperate for noise then set the team up to play a more exiting style and feed them whatever Squirrel had for his breakfast on Saturday. In the meantime I'll be happy with quiet stadiums, top of the league and 3 points.

Phil MaGlass
31-10-2016, 01:46 PM
I think it's far too early in NL term as manager of Hibernian to be laying into fans. ER was quiet yesterday but no quieter than the majority of grounds where the away support is tiny and the game is so one sided. If the players had taken their chances and started playing quick free flowing football I'm sure the atmosphere would be at the level NL wants.

Mibbe NL wants ER to be noisier so he doesnt have to listen to thr dickheads behind him?

erin go bragh
31-10-2016, 01:49 PM

For this season only , we should try a singing section behind the goals of the South stand . Move the away fans to the South upper .

Baldy Foghorn
31-10-2016, 01:53 PM

Why do some peddle this myth still?

Brightside
31-10-2016, 01:56 PM

Im not sure - why do some people still tell people to sssshhh during games? Its almost impossible to get any kind of singing going in the West Lower.

marinello59
31-10-2016, 01:57 PM

No idea. It's complete and utter pish.

marinello59
31-10-2016, 01:59 PM
Im not sure - why do some people still tell people to sssshhh during games? Its almost impossible to get any kind of singing going in the West Lower.

You've heard people telling others to shhh in the West Stand? You are just making that up.

Baldy Foghorn
31-10-2016, 02:05 PM

Nonsense

Baldy Foghorn
31-10-2016, 02:08 PM
You've heard people telling others to shhh in the West Stand? You are just making that up.

Ridiculous isn't it....:rolleyes:

Greenworld
31-10-2016, 02:40 PM
wow...if you can't see that Shinnie was contributing well today then that is quite remarkable. And as for the Midfield not working comment...they dominated almost all the possession..

that was as good a performance as we have played since the start of the league...
Are u having a laugh. Shinnie was hopless ...the ball played down the channels for squirrel to run onto if it wasn't for his highly impressive game I think I would have fell asleep.

bigwheel
31-10-2016, 02:47 PM
Are u having a laugh. Shinnie was hopless ...the ball played down the channels for squirrel to run onto if it wasn't for his highly impressive game I think I would have fell asleep.

aye right....did you see his pass for the first goal??...world class.....

Tbh with some of your other posts, I'm not surprise you see the game different from me.

GreenNWhiteArmy
31-10-2016, 02:51 PM

I'd back this up as, during the last home game against Rangers (ironically 3-2 win for us :) ) i decided to sit in the west (lower, towards FF end) for the game with my mate and his gf. we go a goal up and start singing songs at which point we're told by an older lady to "sit down and shut up" i felt like Mark Warburton for a second as i used the phrase "respectfully" then told her to bolt. i sat down as i could understand that to an extent but i then told her we aint in a library nor a cemetry so if she expects silence to take up another hobby.

kinda killed the buzz to be honest. Not been back in that stand since

Keith_M
31-10-2016, 02:59 PM
There are almost 2,000 people with Season Tickets in the FF Lower. The suggestion is that they be moved out, for an as yet unquantifiable number of people that would be willing to move there, to help create an atmosphere. Not one single person has so far committed themselves to move into this new Singing Section... in fact a number of the people suggesting it have already stated they would not be willing to move from their current seats.

I don't see this happening any time soon.

Brightside
31-10-2016, 03:00 PM
I'd back this up as, during the last home game against Rangers (ironically 3-2 win for us :) ) i decided to sit in the west (lower, towards FF end) for the game with my mate and his gf. we go a goal up and start singing songs at which point we're told by an older lady to "sit down and shut up" i felt like Mark Warburton for a second as i used the phrase "respectfully" then told her to bolt. i sat down as i could understand that to an extent but i then told her we aint in a library nor a cemetry so if she expects silence to take up another hobby.

kinda killed the buzz to be honest. Not been back in that stand since

Opposite end but the same story. There is almost NO singing in the West Lower.

Since90+2
31-10-2016, 03:17 PM
There are almost 2,000 people with Season Tickets in the FF Lower. The suggestion is that they be moved out, for an as yet unquantifiable number of people that would be willing to move there, to help create an atmosphere. Not one single person has so far committed themselves to move into this new Singing Section... in fact a number of the people suggesting it have already stated they would not be willing to move from their current seats.

Is the capacity of the FF lower not 2000? Surely not almost every single seat is sold as a season ticket.

Keith_M
31-10-2016, 03:35 PM
Is the capacity of the FF lower not 2000? Surely not almost every single seat is sold as a season ticket.

Actually, there are currently over 1,800 ST holders in the FF, so that's about 90%. Try booking a seat in there for the next home game and you'll see how few are available for walk-ups.

seanoheimhin
31-10-2016, 03:59 PM

West lower is rancid. Will never sit there again. If you sit there and you're not happy to scream abuse at our own players for daring to try something, then you're in a small minority.

I once decided to do something about it and shout encouragement to try counteract the poison. I got told to shut up a couple of times, and that doesn't include the countless eye rolls (for my being so naive, I'm guessing)...

marinello59
31-10-2016, 04:02 PM
West lower is rancid. Will never sit there again. If you sit there and you're not happy to scream abuse at our own players for daring to try something, then you're in a small minority.

I once decided to do something about it and shout encouragement to try counteract the poison. I got told to shut up a couple of times, and that doesn't include the countless eye rolls (for my being so naive, I'm guessing)...

And another one spouting utter bull. :bye:

seanoheimhin
31-10-2016, 04:03 PM
And another one spouting utter bull. :bye:

Be so kind as to enlighten me, what's bull?

marinello59
31-10-2016, 04:10 PM
Be so kind as to enlighten me, what's bull?

The bit at the start of your post, the bit at the end and the bit in between.

Brightside
31-10-2016, 05:24 PM
let me know where you guys sit....i'll come along to join in the singing. :wink:

WeeRussell
31-10-2016, 05:54 PM
I always preferred the East stand as that was where the atmosphere was. Since the days of the 'auld east stand terracing' it's not as much as a factor for me. And right now it makes no difference to me at all as there is generally very little atmosphere anywhere during league games. Not a criticism of anyone, that's the way it will be for the vast majority of games this season. If we were to draw hearts/Rangers/Celtic in the cup at home however...

NAE NOOKIE
31-10-2016, 06:00 PM
I'm at a loss as to why people think having the same few people in the FF would make any difference to the atmosphere compared to them being in the east...

This people doesn't think that .... this people thinks that if you advertise the FF lower as a new singing, ultras, standing, whatever section a few months before season tickets go on sale for the following season you will get far more than 'the same few people' wanting to be part of it. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it didn't sell out, provided our season ticket numbers remain at the current level.

The reason you have almost 2,000 ST holders in the FF lower is because kids tickets are cheap as chips for that part of the stadium and I'm willing to bet that at least half the adults who accompany them would be delighted to move to the east if kids tickets were the same price for a new family section in the east ..... how can anybody commit themselves to something that doesn't exist yet? There are 3 adults in our party in the FF lower and we would all be willing to move in order to see this happen ... the kids are a couple of years off being adult tickets and I bet we couldn't keep them out of a singing section if one was available.

seanoheimhin
31-10-2016, 06:26 PM
The bit at the start of your post, the bit at the end and the bit in between.

Happened during the win against Dunfermline a couple of months ago...

makaveli1875
31-10-2016, 06:34 PM
i cant honestly remember ever leaving easter road after a st mirren game with my ears ringing from the noise and throat hurting from all the singing

3pm
31-10-2016, 08:15 PM
Listen to the atmosphere in the super duper English Premier League tonight (Stoke v Swansea). Terrible.

jacomo
31-10-2016, 08:52 PM
This people doesn't think that .... this people thinks that if you advertise the FF lower as a new singing, ultras, standing, whatever section a few months before season tickets go on sale for the following season you will get far more than 'the same few people' wanting to be part of it. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it didn't sell out, provided our season ticket numbers remain at the current level.

The reason you have almost 2,000 ST holders in the FF lower is because kids tickets are cheap as chips for that part of the stadium and I'm willing to bet that at least half the adults who accompany them would be delighted to move to the east if kids tickets were the same price for a new family section in the east ..... how can anybody commit themselves to something that doesn't exist yet? There are 3 adults in our party in the FF lower and we would all be willing to move in order to see this happen ... the kids are a couple of years off being adult tickets and I bet we couldn't keep them out of a singing section if one was available.

Great but the family section should be in the West. This should be the respectable stand - the plush seats, families, guests of the club, seasoned supporters etc.

FF can be standing section (lower) and gum bumpers (upper).

The East should remain a free for all, with a healthy number of non season ticket seats available.

Do that, and ER would be a noisier and more welcoming ground to every type of supporter.

blackpoolhibs
31-10-2016, 09:02 PM
The FF lower should be the place we grow our singing section, been saying it for years. It used to be the place where all the singing started, why not again?

K.Marx
31-10-2016, 10:07 PM
For this season only , we should try a singing section behind the goals of the South stand . Move the away fans to the South upper .

I think this is the way to go for the remainder (or second half) of the season to really trial the appetite for a behind the goals singing section. Move the paltry away supports to sections 1 & 2 of the west stand (or south upper as suggested) and open the south lower up, advertising it as a singing/standing/whatever you want to call it section and see what the uptake is. If it really takes off, which I presume it would, we can consider the options for keeping it there next season (or moving it to the FF lower). In the unlikely event it flops, give the south back to away fans next season and go back to the status quo.

Got to be worth a shot surely?

makaveli1875
31-10-2016, 10:24 PM
I think this is the way to go for the remainder (or second half) of the season to really trial the appetite for a behind the goals singing section. Move the paltry away supports to sections 1 & 2 of the west stand (or south upper as suggested) and open the south lower up, advertising it as a singing/standing/whatever you want to call it section and see what the uptake is. If it really takes off, which I presume it would, we can consider the options for keeping it there next season (or moving it to the FF lower). In the unlikely event it flops, give the south back to away fans next season and go back to the status quo.

Got to be worth a shot surely?

sounds like a good idea to me , stick the away fans in the south upper

pundy man
31-10-2016, 10:27 PM
Yes is it a bit quiet but recent history apart from cup win needs still to be forgiven . It's a bit like your wife cheated on you , you have a great weekend away and take her back but will take a bit of time to get the trust back . :confused:

RIP
31-10-2016, 11:55 PM

Yet people have been posting the same rubbish for years. Messageboard chatter that will change the square root of hee haw. Management dismissed the idea years ago and until someone can convince the Hibs Board why they should force 2,000 die hard FF fans to relocate we really need to stfu about it.

Sadly there has never been a business case put to the Board in support of the idea

Carheenlea
01-11-2016, 12:08 AM
i cant honestly remember ever leaving easter road after a st mirren game with my ears ringing from the noise and throat hurting from all the singing

It really is as simple as that :agree:

FitbaFolkKen
01-11-2016, 12:16 AM
Yet people have been posting the same rubbish for years. Messageboard chatter that will change the square root of hee haw. Management dismissed the idea years ago and until someone can convince the Hibs Board why they should force 2,000 die hard FF fans to relocate we really need to stfu about it.

Sadly there has never been a business case put to the Board in support of the idea

The business case is quite simply it improves the match day experience which in turn should lead to increased crowds and then increased turnover.

Not everyone wants to sit/stand, at least by introducing the standing area it gives supporters the option. It also removes the friction caused by those that jump out their seat or stand at every opportunity.

Potentially could increase capacity as the amount of room required would be reduced.

It gives a focal point for the fans to project energy onto the pitch.

I've seen a lot of people highlight things such as the Stoke Swansea game tonight and state the atmosphere was crap. That isn't even related to what is being discussed, just because their atmosphere is bad that means it is okay for us too?

As for the current season ticket holders in the FF, an incentive to move free kids season tickets when renewing or something similar would be ample compensation.

Hibs have a history of being leaders and doing things first, why not this too? What is the worst that could happen?

NAE NOOKIE
01-11-2016, 02:23 AM

Messageboard chatter eventually saw sanity prevail and smokers let out for a fag at half time ..... the bogs are now sweet smelling healthy places and everybody benefitted. The east stand is a single deck because 'allegedly' that is what the fans wanted. The fans wanted the shade of green changed to this seasons and it happened.

If there is anything like 2000 'die hard' lower FF patrons I'll eat my cup final DVD which I haven't bought yet .... of all of the people who go to the FF lower I would doubt there's more than a few hundred who would be annoyed at being asked to move and even less than that who would make a big deal of it.

As for making a business case ....... If the only criteria applied to Easter Road was that nothing should be done that costs money then that's a pretty blinkered attitude to have, there are many things that make some stadiums better places to watch football than others and atmosphere is definitely one of them .... You can hardly blame Neil Lennon for wondering why ER is such a quiet place even with over 15,000 supporters in it, yes the nature of the games we have at the moment are a factor, but having no identifiable kop type area doesn't help and IMO having one would definitely make a big difference to the atmosphere.

That would make going to ER not only a more enjoyable place to go to watch football for the people who want to use a standing / singing section, it would also make it a more enjoyable place for the other spectators as well, because they would have a focal point with which to join in ...... that overall improvement in atmosphere would definitely benefit the team ... Neil Lennon is far from being the first football manager to stress what a benefit a better atmosphere can be to the home team. Not only that, but a good atmosphere encourages people to attend more games just as much as the product on the park does. There's your business case.

Since90+2
01-11-2016, 06:28 AM
Messageboard chatter eventually saw sanity prevail and smokers let out for a fag at half time ..... the bogs are now sweet smelling healthy places and everybody benefitted. The east stand is a single deck because 'allegedly' that is what the fans wanted. The fans wanted the shade of green changed to this seasons and it happened.

If there is anything like 2000 'die hard' lower FF patrons I'll eat my cup final DVD which I haven't bought yet .... of all of the people who go to the FF lower I would doubt there's more than a few hundred who would be annoyed at being asked to move and even less than that who would make a big deal of it.

As for making a business case ....... If the only criteria applied to Easter Road was that nothing should be done that costs money then that's a pretty blinkered attitude to have, there are many things that make some stadiums better places to watch football than others and atmosphere is definitely one of them .... You can hardly blame Neil Lennon for wondering why ER is such a quiet place even with over 15,000 supporters in it, yes the nature of the games we have at the moment are a factor, but having no identifiable kop type area doesn't help and IMO having one would definitely make a big difference to the atmosphere.

That would make going to ER not only a more enjoyable place to go to watch football for the people who want to use a standing / singing section, it would also make it a more enjoyable place for the other spectators as well, because they would have a focal point with which to join in ...... that overall improvement in atmosphere would definitely benefit the team ... Neil Lennon is far from being the first football manager to stress what a benefit a better atmosphere can be to the home team. Not only that, but a good atmosphere encourages people to attend more games just as much as the product on the park does. There's your business case.

Good post.

Steve-O
01-11-2016, 07:21 AM
Business case = the standing sections at Celtic Park and stadiums across Europe seem pretty popular, do they not?

It's a point of difference. Not everyone wants to just go along, sit quietly, eat a pie and then leave.

The family section has moved before and it can move again FFS.

http://youtu.be/jKeRzlornkw - this is a clip of some 'active fans' in the A-League. This isn't their home ground (can't find a decent clip) but the atmosphere at their home ground with the 'active fans' behind the goal is like this almost every week - singing and chanting for 90 minutes, regardless of result. Not my team, but it's a great atmosphere and something they're renowned for now. Compare this to the average atmosphere at ER most weeks!

Keith_M
01-11-2016, 07:43 AM

Do you know for a fact that there are 1,800 people prepared to replace the current FF Lower ST holders, for the sake of a Singing Section?

If there were really that many people currently scattered around the rest of the Stadium desperate to sing, surely we wouldn't even be discussing this, as the atmosphere would already be amazing.

http://youtu.be/jKeRzlornkw - this is a clip of some 'active fans' in the A-League. This isn't their home ground (can't find a decent clip) but the atmosphere at their home ground with the 'active fans' behind the goal is like this almost every week - singing and chanting for 90 minutes, regardless of result. Not my team, but it's a great atmosphere and something they're renowned for now. Compare this to the average atmosphere at ER most weeks!

If those Fans were in Section 43, would they just sit quietly and refuse to sing because they weren't behind the goals?

Since90+2
01-11-2016, 08:11 AM
Do you know for a fact that there are 1,800 people prepared to replace the current FF Lower ST holders, for the sake of a Singing Section?

If there were really that many people currently scattered around the rest of the Stadium desperate to sing, surely we wouldn't even be discussing this, as the atmosphere would already be amazing.

If those Fans were in Section 43, would they just sit quietly and refuse to sing because they weren't behind the goals?

If the FF lower was advertised as a standing singing section for next season it would be close to full every week.

Steve-O
01-11-2016, 09:02 AM

These 'active sections' are behind the goal in almost every single case where teams have one, not high up in a side stand. For one thing, behind the goal looks a lot better on TV. Certainly a lot better than that area looks now on TV.

Id suggest if the FF lower was a standing section with cheaper tickets, it'd be sold out. Maybe not straight away, but if it was encouraged, drums allowed in, flags, banners etc.

I'm reading a book right low that is mainly about English football post-Hillsborough - it talks about research showing that the old core demographic of fans (makes aged 16-35 IIRC) are now drifting away from football due to expensive tickets and the sanitised atmosphere.

A standing section would, I think, encourage some of that demographic back.

Just saying "they should just go to the back of section 43" is clearly not working.

GreenNWhiteArmy
01-11-2016, 09:18 AM

👏👏👏 excellent post

Not only that, it brings a fear factor for teams coming to Easter Road. It doesn't matter whether it's "only St Mirren" or its a category a game people have an environment in which to create an atmosphere.

You've heard clubs like man utd and Liverpool speak about how having that end behind the goals where they attack the 2nd half is like a 12th and can drag them and the ball over the line at times.

We know who we are, every ****ing club visiting easter road should know it too

jacomo
01-11-2016, 11:26 AM

Unnecessarily confrontational response IMO.

I know for a FACT that some people find the cost of tickets too high, that some people hate sitting down at the football, and that safe standing sections are popular elsewhere.

I also know for a FACT that ER is rarely anywhere near capacity and there is capacity to spare.

The club can either look at how it can adapt to meet the needs of different supporters, or it can just continue on the same path.

Personally, I quite like a seat and would probably not move to a standing section - but I think a lot of people would, especially if it was a little cheaper.

Crowds are significantly up this season, which is great, but even so the opportunity cost is at least 5,000 unsold seats every home game. Surely the club has to be looking at its options?

NAE NOOKIE
01-11-2016, 12:27 PM

No I don't know for a 'fact' that there are 1,800 people who would be prepared to be part of a singing section in the FF lower .... what I do know is that its reasonable to presume that there possibly might be and that these folk aren't bothered about being part of the current section 43 activities because it lacks identity and has so many restrictions placed upon it ...... EG being shunted to the front of the stand because folk around it were getting upset by some of its more boisterous antics and the bizarre rule that you have to apply for some sort of 'pass' to sit in that area.

This issue could be easily put to bed right now by Hibs actually asking the fans if there is support for the idea of a standing section in the FF lower, there would be season tickets but no restriction on where you stand in that section ... IE first come first served for the best places, including walk ups. It could also be made clear that parents of kids under 16 who allow their kids to be part of that section that the kind of restrictions regarding bad language that apply in the rest of the stadium cannot be enforced in that area ...... though at the same time making it clear that racism, homophobia etc will not be tolerated in 'any' part of the stadium.

If Hibs ran such a survey and more than 1000 of respondents said they would want to be a regular in that section, then I think that would be a green light to give it a go ..... for the first season the stand could remain as it is now, but there would be no restriction on standing. If that season turned out to be a successful trial rail seats could be fitted for the following season.

Blaster
01-11-2016, 01:03 PM
These 'active sections' are behind the goal in almost every single case where teams have one, not high up in a side stand. For one thing, behind the goal looks a lot better on TV. Certainly a lot better than that area looks now on TV.

Id suggest if the FF lower was a standing section with cheaper tickets, it'd be sold out. Maybe not straight away, but if it was encouraged, drums allowed in, flags, banners etc.

I'm reading a book right low that is mainly about English football post-Hillsborough - it talks about research showing that the old core demographic of fans (makes aged 16-35 IIRC) are now drifting away from football due to expensive tickets and the sanitised atmosphere.

A standing section would, I think, encourage some of that demographic back.

Just saying "they should just go to the back of section 43" is clearly not working.

Why should the tickets be cheaper? If it would be so great and so many folk wanting to go there why should the price matter

flash
01-11-2016, 01:46 PM

Strange that because every time i can remember the crowd turning on the team in recent times it has started in the East.

Keith_M
01-11-2016, 03:05 PM
Unnecessarily confrontational response IMO.

It wasn't intended in that way but I can see now how it could be perceived as confrontational, so sorry about that.

I was trying to put over (however badly) the logical way the club would have to make a decision on whether to move such a large number of people, without being 100% certain that there are enough people that would actually move in to that section to take their place.

I'm still not convinced there's enough volunteers willing to do so.

RIP
01-11-2016, 03:15 PM
As someone who had previously organised monthly meetings between directors, managers and supporters groups I used to look for volunteers to present these business cases.

Anyone willing to put themselves forward? Only need a small group initially.

jacomo
01-11-2016, 03:20 PM
It wasn't intended in that way but I can see now how it could be perceived as confrontational, so sorry about that.

I was trying to put over (however badly) the logical way the club would have to make a decision on whether to move such a large number of people, without being 100% certain that there are enough people that would actually move in to that section to take their place.

I'm still not convinced there's enough volunteers willing to do so.

:aok:

On the other hand, if Hibs were to advertise tickets for a standing section at a flat rate of £15-20, demand would be high.

On paper, it looks like a loss of income. But in reality, ER isn't selling out so there is spare capacity to play with.

marinello59
01-11-2016, 03:31 PM
:aok:

On the other hand, if Hibs were to advertise tickets for a standing section at a flat rate of £15-20, demand would be high.

On paper, it looks like a loss of income. But in reality, ER isn't selling out so there is spare capacity to play with.

So the argument is that the standing section would be the most attractive part of the ground to watch a game from but should be the cheapest?

Since1875Hibs
01-11-2016, 04:02 PM
The club have responded to our request for a meeting to discuss and something will be set up shortly.

Our focus will be a permanent move from the front of the East to the FF Lower by next season, with the club actively promoting this section and encouraging the support to back the team vocally and finally exploring costs around rail seating with and fundraising activity to achieve this.

We see no point in making any temporary moves to the back of the East/middle of the East when the only solution is the FF Lower.

We of course need to consult and discuss those views with the current set of supporters who are based there - some of which have been based there since the stand was built.

Greencore
01-11-2016, 04:13 PM
The club should just employ some nutter with a microphone to sings around the FF and get the fans into it lol.... could end very well or very badly :D

wookie70
01-11-2016, 04:34 PM
Can someone who wants to move to the FF lower explain why they can't sing where they are currently sitting. I hope the Club leave the stadium as it is. The East has had some great atmospheres in the past when it was seated and will do again if there is anything to get excited about.

Juice-Terry
01-11-2016, 06:33 PM
The club have responded to our request for a meeting to discuss and something will be set up shortly.

Our focus will be a permanent move from the front of the East to the FF Lower by next season, with the club actively promoting this section and encouraging the support to back the team vocally and finally exploring costs around rail seating with and fundraising activity to achieve this.

We see no point in making any temporary moves to the back of the East/middle of the East when the only solution is the FF Lower.

We of course need to consult and discuss those views with the current set of supporters who are based there - some of which have been based there since the stand was built.

Well done. I really hope the club are keen to work on this. A permanent move to the FF Lower is the only viable option for a viable singing section. GGTTH!

WhileTheChief..
01-11-2016, 06:37 PM
Fill in the FF/ East corner with safe standing similar to Celtic's Green Brigade area then no one needs to move.

Of course we need to find some millions to do it so that could be a bit of a problem!

Itsnoteasy
01-11-2016, 06:47 PM
Fill in the FF/ East corner with safe standing similar to Celtic's Green Brigade area then no one needs to move.

Of course we need to find some millions to do it so that could be a bit of a problem!

Lets add another couple of thousand seats to a stadium that is only 3/4 full at the best of times.

ChrissyG1875
01-11-2016, 07:59 PM
Would love for the singing section to move to the FF and I'd be even more delighted if it got converted to safe standing but why do people always say the tickets should be cheaper? The club would need to spend valuable money, which could be spent on players, to do it and ticket sales are the biggest source of income for a Scottish team.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Jonnyboy
01-11-2016, 08:01 PM
Lets add another couple of thousand seats to a stadium that is only 3/4 full at the best of times.

Why would a couple of thousand seats be needed if it's a safe standing area?

blackpoolhibs
01-11-2016, 08:04 PM

Normally the focal point for home supporters is behind the goals, a kop if you like. The club have moved the support before from behind the FF coo shed, and should move it back in my opinion.

Having their own are where they wouldn't upset anyone by standing or swearing or farting too loud is badly needed, and i believe if moved there it would grow much easier and better than anywhere else in the stadium.

And as for your highlighted bit, it would not cost a penny. There's no safe standing in the east, and there would be no need to put any in now. Dundee Utd don't have it, and that's where most of their singing comes from.

Dashing Bob S
01-11-2016, 08:48 PM

Good on you chaps. This is the only thing that makes sense. The 'new cave' it is.

H18 SFR
01-11-2016, 09:32 PM
Delighted to hear the proposal about having a dedicated area in the FF. We would happily move there to support this idea

jacomo
01-11-2016, 09:40 PM
So the argument is that the standing section would be the most attractive part of the ground to watch a game from but should be the cheapest?

For some people, yes. Personally I prefer a seat these days, and dislike being behind the goals, but I recognise that other people have different preferences.

Honestly, I am simply baffled by the hostility on here, including passive aggressive questions such as yours.

It is almost as if some fans are so against change of any sort that they would prefer to be rattling around in a half empty stadium, listening to the rustling of sweetie wrappers.

Blaster
01-11-2016, 09:44 PM
For some people, yes. Personally I prefer a seat these days, and dislike being behind the goals, but I recognise that other people have different preferences.

Honestly, I am simply baffled by the hostility on here, including passive aggressive questions such as yours.

It is almost as if some fans are so against change of any sort that they would prefer to be rattling around in a half empty stadium, listening to the rustling of sweetie wrappers.

Doesn't make financial sense for hibs does it

2000 fans move and you want it cheaper. Let's say 50 quid cheaper. Hibs lose 100k but we get some more songs during a game

If we change it, fine. Cheaper eh naw

jacomo
01-11-2016, 09:49 PM
Doesn't make financial sense for hibs does it

2000 fans move and you want it cheaper. Let's say 50 quid cheaper. Hibs lose 100k but we get some more songs during a game

If we change it, fine. Cheaper eh naw

If it increases attendances, match day income (both direct and secondary spend) goes up.

For me, the crucial age group is 18-25 year olds. The kids get good deals, but the club needs to encourage young adults to buy tickets with their own money. This group is very price sensitive, but get them to acquire the habit and you are building your support for the long term.

At the moment, I am not sure the club does enough to encourage these members of the Hibs family.

blackpoolhibs
01-11-2016, 09:51 PM
I dont see why it should be cheaper, and i wouldnt think anyone would expect it to be cheaper?

jacomo
01-11-2016, 11:32 PM
I dont see why it should be cheaper, and i wouldnt think anyone would expect it to be cheaper?

For the reason I give above - the people most likely to want to stand are likely to be more responsive to cheaper tickets.

marinello59
02-11-2016, 03:35 AM

Utter nonsense. I'm in favour of safe standing areas. Where that is doesn't concern me so much but the club has to be sensitive to the needs of people sitting in the proposed areas.
Installing safe standing will involve a cost to the club so quite why anybody would want cheaper tickets for something seen as an improvement baffles me. Suggesting that 18-25 year old men are more price sensitive than say 25-35 year olds is a flawed argument. Kids and mortgages mean decisions have to be made about attending matches or not. If young single adults whose time is all their own aren't attending matches it's down to something other than price.

jacomo
02-11-2016, 06:25 AM
Utter nonsense. I'm in favour of safe standing areas. Where that is doesn't concern me so much but the club has to be sensitive to the needs of people sitting in the proposed areas.
Installing safe standing will involve a cost to the club so quite why anybody would want cheaper tickets for something seen as an improvement baffles me. Suggesting that 18-25 year old men are more price sensitive than say 25-35 year olds is a flawed argument. Kids and mortgages mean decisions have to be made about attending matches or not. If young single adults whose time is all their own aren't attending matches it's down to something other than price.

Well I tried.

This thread is going nowhere in terms of a decent conversation about improving the atmosphere at ER, but with dicks like you around maybe it's impossible anyhow.

marinello59
02-11-2016, 07:07 AM

Well I tried.

This thread is going nowhere in terms of a decent conversation about improving the atmosphere at ER, but with dicks like you around maybe it's impossible anyhow.

The bit in bold is the what I termed nonsense. I challenged your view on price so you assumed that I was against change. It was nonsense.
I think I gave you a decent answer on price. It seems that because myself and others have disagreed with your view the toys are out of the pram and it's personal insult time. Personally I dont give a toss if you think I'm a dick or not. I wouldn't go throwing stuff like that at other posters though.

Pretty Boy
02-11-2016, 08:19 AM

The canpaign for safe standing regularly talk about standing areas being cheaper in their literature.

From what I gather though that is based on all seater stadiums that sell out every week and the capacity increase that comes from rail seating, 2 people to every 1 seat. Therefore the increased attendance makes up/increases the lost income from the cheaper tickets. I'm not sure the example translates as well to a stadium like ER where there are still several thousand empty seats every week. All I can see in that instance is lower prices = lower income. Unless of course there are several thousand people simply refusing to attend a game because they can't stand.

I'm not against change at all, I'd love to stand at the football regularly but I'd expect to pay the same price as I do now. After all the fixed costs are the same, potentially more as a standing area may require additional stewarding.

Steve-O
02-11-2016, 08:57 AM

It clearly wouldn't be the most attractive for EVERYONE.

Don't you remember when standing was cheaper than sitting? I do and I reckon I'm younger than you.

Steve-O
02-11-2016, 08:59 AM
Why should the tickets be cheaper? If it would be so great and so many folk wanting to go there why should the price matter

For the reasons that I literally explained in the post you quoted.

Steve-O
02-11-2016, 09:02 AM

Totally agree.

Steve-O
02-11-2016, 09:08 AM

Sorry what research have you carried out to back that up? This type of demographic (or, a slightly wider age range) used to be the CORE football match attendees. Prices have gone up at an absolutely ridiculous rate, and this demographic, is, apparently, diminishing at the same time. But, you claim there is no correlation. Based on..............? I would think that value for money is actually very high up on the list of reasons why people do not attend.

marinello59
02-11-2016, 09:09 AM
It clearly wouldn't be the most attractive for EVERYONE.

Don't you remember when standing was cheaper than sitting? I do and I reckon I'm younger than you.

No, it won't be the most attractive for everyone. So they could sit in the much more plentiful seats.
Of course I remember when standing was cheaper than sittIng, I'm much older than you. The availability of seats was limited. That would be reversed here. I'd rather stand but I don't see why it should be cheaper now, it would be my preference.

Steve-O
02-11-2016, 09:12 AM
No, it won't be the most attractive for everyone. So they could sit in the much more plentiful seats.
Of course I remember when standing was cheaper than sittIng, I'm much older than you. The availability of seats was limited. That would be reversed here. I'd rather stand but I don't see why it should be cheaper now, it would be my preference.

I believe it should be cheaper to attract new/lapsed fans who have drifted away due to price/lack of atmosphere at 'diddy team' games. Of course I am not saying that current fans should be excluded.

If a standing area was filled with fans happy to be 'active' fans without the tickets being cheaper, then fair enough.

marinello59
02-11-2016, 09:13 AM
Sorry what research have you carried out to back that up? This type of demographic (or, a slightly wider age range) used to be the CORE football match attendees. Prices have gone up at an absolutely ridiculous rate, and this demographic, is, apparently, diminishing at the same time. But, you claim there is no correlation. Based on..............? I would think that value for money is actually very high up on the list of reasons why people do not attend.

It was the poster I was replying too who suggested this particular demographic were more price sensitive. Perhaps you could ask them about their research.

Steve-O
02-11-2016, 09:15 AM
It was the poster I was replying too who suggested this particular demographic were more price sensitive. Perhaps you could ask them about their research.

I am currently reading this book, and it states research has been done to suggest that demographic is indeed price sensitive, and sanitised atmosphere sensitive to boot.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/jun/05/and-the-sun-shines-now-hillsborough-review-adrian-tempany-frank-cottrell-boyce

Blaster
02-11-2016, 09:17 AM
For the reasons that I literally explained in the post you quoted.

But what about my other post saying hibs would be worse off. That's the bit I am against

CapitalGreen
02-11-2016, 09:18 AM

No scientific research from me but my group of 6 season ticket holders dropped to 2 during this period. They finished their respective studies and they simply didn't have the disposable income to commit to a full adult season ticket (pre-payment plan). The transition from a student to adult season ticket assumes that people are moving straight into well paid jobs and they suddenly have increased disposable income - that simply isn't the case for many graduates/school leavers nowadays.

CapitalGreen
02-11-2016, 09:20 AM
But what about my other post saying hibs would be worse off. That's the bit I am against

Hibs would be worse off if attendances remained static Others are suggesting that more affordable tickets and a more attractive proposition (option to stand) would attract more fans.

Blaster
02-11-2016, 09:25 AM
Hibs would be worse off if attendances remained static Others are suggesting that more affordable tickets and a more attractive proposition (option to stand) would attract more fans.

My view is that is unlikely based on our current attendances so would be a gamble for hibs to take

I am happy with change, just not cheaper

Steve-O
02-11-2016, 09:30 AM

It's not necessarily true if such a section attracted some new fans / old fans back though.

Steve-O
02-11-2016, 09:31 AM
My view is that is unlikely based on our current attendances so would be a gamble for hibs to take

I am happy with change, just not cheaper

If we get promoted, we'll have more money.

Blaster
02-11-2016, 09:34 AM
If we get promoted, we'll have more money.

Be better spending it on better players in my opinion

Since90+2
02-11-2016, 09:38 AM
Great to see that the club are looking into the possibility of this for next season. I would be one of those who would move into that section should it become reality.

In terms of pricing I dont think it should or would be priced lower than other sections of the ground.

Exciting times ahead though if we get promoted. Can you imagine ER next season with around 12,500 season tickets and average crowds of approximately 16,500 with a full and bouncing FF lower standing singing section? The ground would be transformed.

Steve-O
02-11-2016, 09:40 AM
Great to see that the club are looking into the possibility of this for next season. I would be one of those you would move into that section should it become reality.

In terms of pricing I dont think it should or would be priced lower than other sections of the ground.

Exciting times ahead though if we get promoted. Can you imagine ER next season with around 12,500 season tickets and average crowds of approximately 16,500 with a full and bouncing FF lower standing singing section? The ground would be transformed.

I don't think it's unreasonable to be cheaper than, for example, the centre of the East and West stands? Clearly the view from behind the goal is not as good as those areas and should be priced accordingly.

green&left
02-11-2016, 09:42 AM
The German's offer it cheaper (and most European clubs too behind the goals) to allow all walks of life the chance to attend games regardless of your income. British football clubs are generally greedy *******s and will do everything in their power to squeeze every last quid from fans so wouldn't expect them to offer any cheaper tickets, especially when there is a cost involved in the conversion from seating to rail standing/seating. Also don't think QotS or Ayr (or Alloa and Cowdenbeath last season) offered cheaper standing tickets than seating tickets for when we visit them.

Stood at Union Berlin last season for 12,eurs behind the goals next to the away fans. Brand new stadium with three quarters off it terracing, the only seating section is the main stand, and a few dozen seats in the away end. Had a blast.

Since90+2
02-11-2016, 09:42 AM
I don't think it's unreasonable to be cheaper than, for example, the centre of the East and West stands? Clearly the view from behind the goal is not as good as those areas and should be priced accordingly.

If the club think it's viable to offer the area at a lower price but not impact matchday revenue then great.

Personally I would move to that section regardless of whether it was lower priced or not.

NikGunnarsson
02-11-2016, 09:51 AM
This would be fantastic if it happened and would certainly be where I would go. Behind the goals is were a signing section should be. I took a couple of mates to some games at ER last season and after talking up the quality of ER in reality it didnt really matter because it was lifeless. I was at Fir Park a couple of weeks ago for Motherwell Hamilton and the atmosphere was a million times better simply because they had a dedicated area for fans.

Steve-O
02-11-2016, 09:53 AM
The German's offer it cheaper (and most European clubs too behind the goals) to allow all walks of life the chance to attend games regardless of your income. British football clubs are generally greedy *******s and will do everything in their power to squeeze every last quid from fans so wouldn't expect them to offer any cheaper tickets, especially when there is a cost involved in the conversion from seating to rail standing/seating. Also don't think QotS or Ayr (or Alloa and Cowdenbeath last season) offered cheaper standing tickets than seating tickets for when we visit them.

Stood at Union Berlin last season for 12,eurs behind the goals next to the away fans. Brand new stadium with three quarters off it terracing, the only seating section is the main stand, and a few dozen seats in the away end. Had a blast.

Indeed. The absolute focus on money, that has even seemingly pervaded the thoughts of fans now, is having a detrimental effect on the game IMO.

I have heard of how Union Berlin games have an amazing atmosphere. Their singing section is well known worldwide, and they're not even in the top league! That is what I'm trying to promote here but it keeps coming back to "oh it costs too much", "why bother?" or "there's folk in the FF who won't want to move".

Steve-O
02-11-2016, 09:55 AM
If the club think it's viable to offer the area at a lower price but not impact matchday revenue then great.

Personally I would move to that section regardless of whether it was lower priced or not.

I'm sure many would move regardless of price. However, if you had cheaper tickets, perhaps you'd be more likely to buy extra stuff in the club shop, for example? Some people (not meaning you) need to think a bit more broadly about these things to me. All very negative from some quarters.

jacomo
02-11-2016, 10:24 AM
The bit in bold is the what I termed nonsense. I challenged your view on price so you assumed that I was against change. It was nonsense.
I think I gave you a decent answer on price. It seems that because myself and others have disagreed with your view the toys are out of the pram and it's personal insult time. Personally I dont give a toss if you think I'm a dick or not. I wouldn't go throwing stuff like that at other posters though.

Apologies for my intemperate outburst.

It's not that you disagree with me. It's the dismissive manner of your responses that got me agitated.

But, again, apologies for lowering the tone.

JimBHibees
02-11-2016, 11:33 AM
No scientific research from me but my group of 6 season ticket holders dropped to 2 during this period. They finished their respective studies and they simply didn't have the disposable income to commit to a full adult season ticket (pre-payment plan). The transition from a student to adult season ticket assumes that people are moving straight into well paid jobs and they suddenly have increased disposable income - that simply isn't the case for many graduates/school leavers nowadays.

Do students not get discounted season ticket prices?

CapitalGreen
02-11-2016, 11:36 AM
Do students not get discounted season ticket prices?

Please re-read my post

JimBHibees
02-11-2016, 11:45 AM
Please re-read my post

Ok apologies assumed it was moving from school to uni not University to employment. Agree with your point.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
02-11-2016, 12:03 PM
Ultimately nobody knows if it would work or not, but i think it sounds like a great idea.

The atmosphere is chronic, and its a vicious cycle, personally the worse the atmosphere is, the less likely i am to get going. I imagine this is the case for many.

Its why a proper singing section is so important imo.

Have to say thoufh, they need to get some good songs. We habe beem horrendous for years at making new songs.

Defo worth a try imo.

hibee_nation
02-11-2016, 12:11 PM
Apologies for my intemperate outburst.

It's not that you disagree with me. It's the dismissive manner of your responses that got me agitated.

But, again, apologies for lowering the tone.

Quite right too, everyone should be aware by now the admins are pricks not dicks. :greengrin

HappyHanlon
02-11-2016, 12:19 PM

Cause its no a myth.

West Stand has no atmosphere

JDHibs
02-11-2016, 01:08 PM
Why are people moaning about having a seat or not? You do realise that the its called "Safe standing" not "no seats". The only difference is they have railings along the back of the seats to stop people from falling forward, hence, its safe to stand there.

They dont take the seats away.

Dont think it should be any cheaper than the rest of the stadium but think safe standing will gain popularity as it does add to the atmosphere. However, changing the stadium around to suit wont work. Most of section 43 stands anyway, just make it safe standing. Highly doubt anyone will moan about it.

Where as if you try it in FF Lower, you will get loads of complaints from people who dont want it.

Since90+2
02-11-2016, 01:16 PM
Why are people moaning about having a seat or not? You do realise that the its called "Safe standing" not "no seats". The only difference is they have railings along the back of the seats to stop people from falling forward, hence, its safe to stand there.

They dont take the seats away.

Dont think it should be any cheaper than the rest of the stadium but think safe standing will gain popularity as it does add to the atmosphere. However, changing the stadium around to suit wont work. Most of section 43 stands anyway, just make it safe standing. Highly doubt anyone will moan about it.

Where as if you try it in FF Lower, you will get loads of complaints from people who dont want it.

The majority of folk don't stand in sec 43. I would say about 50 percent of the section insist on sitting down (and asking others to sit down in front of them etc)

It's partly the issue that a dedicated standing area is needed.

green&left
02-11-2016, 01:46 PM
The majority of folk don't stand in sec 43. I would say about 50 percent of the section insist on sitting down (and asking others to sit down in front of them etc)

It's partly the issue that a dedicated standing area is needed.

This. Hardly nobody stands anymore. Was more people standing when we were getting 7-8000. Plenty taps on the shoulders now from the post Scottish Cup newcomers (Not a dig - just a fact)

blackpoolhibs
02-11-2016, 02:29 PM
The canpaign for safe standing regularly talk about standing areas being cheaper in their literature.

From what I gather though that is based on all seater stadiums that sell out every week and the capacity increase that comes from rail seating, 2 people to every 1 seat. Therefore the increased attendance makes up/increases the lost income from the cheaper tickets. I'm not sure the example translates as well to a stadium like ER where there are still several thousand empty seats every week. All I can see in that instance is lower prices = lower income. Unless of course there are several thousand people simply refusing to attend a game because they can't stand.

I'm not against change at all, I'd love to stand at the football regularly but I'd expect to pay the same price as I do now. After all the fixed costs are the same, potentially more as a standing area may require additional stewarding.

Spot on.:agree::top marks

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
02-11-2016, 03:01 PM
Spot on.:agree::top marks

Agree. I would expext to, would and would want to pay the same.

I never understood the moaning about home prices. The less hibs charge, the less they have to spend. If we truly are to become a club with fan/membrt ownership, then we are all going to habe to be prepared to put in to fund the club. We will get what we pay for.

Why cant the move to FF happen in the meantime, then if money amd demand exists, look at standing areas in the future?

CapitalGreen
02-11-2016, 03:25 PM
Agree. I would expext to, would and would want to pay the same.

I never understood the moaning about home prices. The less hibs charge, the less they have to spend. If we truly are to become a club with fan/membrt ownership, then we are all going to habe to be prepared to put in to fund the club. We will get what we pay for.

Why cant the move to FF happen in the meantime, then if money amd demand exists, look at standing areas in the future?

Because the income Hibs make is not driven solely by price charged, it is driven by how many people pay that price.

People are suggesting that lowering the cost of a season ticket will increase demand and as a result income per head may drop but overall income may increase if attendances rise.

BSEJVT
02-11-2016, 04:11 PM

Cant say I have ever ever heard anyone do so???

Dashing Bob S
02-11-2016, 04:26 PM
If the game is big enough and exciting enough the stadium will get rocking, albeit sporadically, even in the cavernous East and prawn sanny west.

However an FF lower packed out with a hardcore of youthful and not so youthful enthusiasts would be a huge catalyst in enabling this more regularly, as well as providing a better atmosphere in more bread and butter games. A no brainer for the club, I'd have thought.

Juice-Terry
02-11-2016, 04:31 PM
If the game is big enough and exciting enough the stadium will get rocking, albeit sporadically, even in the cavernous East and prawn sanny west.

However an FF lower packed out with a hardcore of youthful and not so youthful enthusiasts would be a huge catalyst in enabling this more regularly, as well as providing a better atmosphere in more bread and butter games. A no brainer for the club, I'd have thought.
Correct.

NAE NOOKIE
03-11-2016, 02:52 AM
Its good to hear from what I'm reading in some other posts that Hibs appear to be at least willing to listen to arguments regarding the FF lower. Its plain that I am and always have been an advocate of this idea, but I would say I'm not particularly a fan of making it cheaper than the seated areas ..... The whole point of this is that there is the likelihood there will be enough fans in support of the idea to make it a success, but the request is for a safe standing area, not cheaper tickets for those who use it.

There is the usual argument using the example of the Bundesliga ..... but for German clubs making tickets cheaper for one section of the stadium causes little damage to their income, for most clubs gate receipts are probably for arguments sake say about a 3rd of their overall income, for Hibs its probably half if not even more than that. The club already hugely discounts kids tickets, its stretching things a bit to ask them to discount between 1000 and 2000 adult tickets as well.

I would plead with anybody who actually manages to get the club around the table to discuss this idea not to make this an argument about cheaper tickets ... IMHO getting Hibs to even consider a standing area behind the goals is more than I expected, turning it into a request ( demand ) for cheaper tickets will be counter productive and make it much more likely that Hibs will decide against the whole idea.
Lets not forget that whatever way they do it some fans who have sat in the FF lower for years would be required to move if they don't want to, or cant, stand and the executive boxes behind that goal will be rendered unusable, I doubt they are much of a money spinner anyway, but its still a compromise on the clubs part and if that isn't acknowledged and respected the whole thing will be a non starter.

Steve-O
03-11-2016, 04:45 AM
Its good to hear from what I'm reading in some other posts that Hibs appear to be at least willing to listen to arguments regarding the FF lower. Its plain that I am and always have been an advocate of this idea, but I would say I'm not particularly a fan of making it cheaper than the seated areas ..... The whole point of this is that there is the likelihood there will be enough fans in support of the idea to make it a success, but the request is for a safe standing area, not cheaper tickets for those who use it.

There is the usual argument using the example of the Bundesliga ..... but for German clubs making tickets cheaper for one section of the stadium causes little damage to their income, for most clubs gate receipts are probably for arguments sake say about a 3rd of their overall income, for Hibs its probably half if not even more than that. The club already hugely discounts kids tickets, its stretching things a bit to ask them to discount between 1000 and 2000 adult tickets as well.

I would plead with anybody who actually manages to get the club around the table to discuss this idea not to make this an argument about cheaper tickets ... IMHO getting Hibs to even consider a standing area behind the goals is more than I expected, turning it into a request ( demand ) for cheaper tickets will be counter productive and make it much more likely that Hibs will decide against the whole idea.
Lets not forget that whatever way they do it some fans who have sat in the FF lower for years would be required to move if they don't want to, or cant, stand and the executive boxes behind that goal will be rendered unusable, I doubt they are much of a money spinner anyway, but its still a compromise on the clubs part and if that isn't acknowledged and respected the whole thing will be a non starter.

I'm sure some people who sat in the old cowshed or old east stand didn't want to change seats either, but it happened anyway. It's called progress. Some people will never like change, but I'm sure they'd cope.

"But I've sat here for years!" is simply not an acceptable reason to stand in the way of something that will be beneficial to the club. Anyone who threatened not to return to ER or the like because of a change like this should probably be referred onto a doctor.

Posh Swanny
03-11-2016, 11:58 AM
My tuppence worth...

I haven't been to Easter Road since Spoony's goal knocked the Yams out of the cup in 2012. I sat in the FF upper that day and as I was stood in Robbies after the match singing to Martin O'Neil on TV that he was just a ***** Paddy Fenlon, it dawned on me that I couldn't shake the feeling that I had forked out £25 to watch such a dire game of football. As a die-hard Peterborough fan, my feelings for Hibs evolved around the full match-day vibe it presented. Few pints in Tamsons, shuffle onto the dirty old East under the TV gantry with my pals regardless of what seat my ticket said I should sit in, sing, shout, jump, fall, chat, celebrate/commiserate, another quick pint in Tamsons, home. Brilliant stuff! Since the old East was bulldozed a huge part of that experience went with it. Much as I'd still enjoy the pints in Tamsons, sitting on my own in the East or FF and relying on catching a decent game of football just felt/feels like a waste of cash. If I want to sit in the cold and watch a pish performance, I'll save up and go to a Posh game where I'd happily pay £30 for the possibility to see them beat Bury. So I stopped going. I don't feel bad about it. Why would I? I miss the old buzz though.

Then I started reading this thread. A safe-standing or unreserved seating "lads" section in the FF lower? YES PLEASE! :drool::drool::drool:

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
03-11-2016, 12:43 PM
Because the income Hibs make is not driven solely by price charged, it is driven by how many people pay that price.

People are suggesting that lowering the cost of a season ticket will increase demand and as a result income per head may drop but overall income may increase if attendances rise.

And almost all evidence suggests that is not the case.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
03-11-2016, 12:44 PM

Totally agree. They are two separate issues imo, and conflating the two weakens both.

CapitalGreen
03-11-2016, 12:45 PM
And almost all evidence suggests that is not the case.

Present the evidence please

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
03-11-2016, 01:08 PM
Present the evidence please

Every team rhat has tried reduced prices in scotland has not seen the uplift in crowds to make up the lost revenue.

Hibs didnt reduce prices this season. In fact they purposely made a decision to keep prices high (for this level) to habe a stronger team. They have been rewarded with huge crowds so far this season.

Highland_Hibee
03-11-2016, 03:17 PM
I like my seat being near half way in the East and I don't particularly like being behind the goals but I'm happy to get involved with anything that invites progress. Now I think about it the best fun and engagement I've had on match days have been when I've not been in the greatest of seats. They also however weren't matches at ER.

NAE NOOKIE
03-11-2016, 11:10 PM
I'm sure some people who sat in the old cowshed or old east stand didn't want to change seats either, but it happened anyway. It's called progress. Some people will never like change, but I'm sure they'd cope.

"But I've sat here for years!" is simply not an acceptable reason to stand in the way of something that will be beneficial to the club. Anyone who threatened not to return to ER or the like because of a change like this should probably be referred onto a doctor.

Preaching to the converted mate, I don't think you are getting the point of what I was saying in my post.

I have always made the point that the demographics of the stadium have changed over the years and people have always had to live with it, that will be the case here as well if it happens and as I've said more than once I will be one of those people, I've always preferred to watch from behind the goals, as I do now, but I will be prepared to move if it makes this happen.

The point I was making was even if people will have to accept moving for a good purpose, the fact is they are still being asked to do something they don't want to and Hibs are the ones who are going to have to live with any fallout that may be a result of that .... it will also mean that the executive boxes will be useless and because of that asking for cheaper tickets as well is asking for an inch and changing that to .... 'nah, actually we want a mile' ...... that to my mind is not what we want to be doing.

If you want a standing section then ask for one. If you want cheaper tickets ask for them. Put the two together in any proposal to the club and you will get neither .... I guarantee you.

jacomo
04-11-2016, 05:09 PM
Preaching to the converted mate, I don't think you are getting the point of what I was saying in my post.

I have always made the point that the demographics of the stadium have changed over the years and people have always had to live with it, that will be the case here as well if it happens and as I've said more than once I will be one of those people, I've always preferred to watch from behind the goals, as I do now, but I will be prepared to move if it makes this happen.

The point I was making was even if people will have to accept moving for a good purpose, the fact is they are still being asked to do something they don't want to and Hibs are the ones who are going to have to live with any fallout that may be a result of that .... it will also mean that the executive boxes will be useless and because of that asking for cheaper tickets as well is asking for an inch and changing that to .... 'nah, actually we want a mile' ...... that to my mind is not what we want to be doing.

If you want a standing section then ask for one. If you want cheaper tickets ask for them. Put the two together in any proposal to the club and you will get neither .... I guarantee you.

Just use the back row as a walkway or block it off - no standing during the game - and the corporate boxes can be used in exactly the same way as they are now.

Keith_M
04-11-2016, 05:42 PM
Just use the back row as a walkway or block it off - no standing during the game - and the corporate boxes can be used in exactly the same way as they are now.

I don't think it's that simple. Removing people from the back row just means that they'll be looking at the back of people's heads in the second back row, and so on. I think you'd have to ban standing in the the top ten rows at least, but then you have a restricted view for the people having to sit behind those standing up.

I think allowing standing in the FF lower will make the Executive Boxes useless.