PDA

View Full Version : Martin Boyle

Seveno
29-10-2016, 05:47 PM
The lad deserves his own thread tonight. He ran his socks off, was always an attacking threat, scored a great goal and gave the St Mirren defence no peace.

To quote my mate,' Ge us like a wee dug chasing a piece of paper'.

Easily the MoM.

danhibees1875
29-10-2016, 05:51 PM
Great game. Very pleased for him, he's an exciting player and gives 100%. I initially thought it was a poor call as i thought he was a better impact player but I was proved wrong.

:topmarks:

ACLeith
29-10-2016, 05:57 PM
Great composed finish for his goal but then missed easier 1-on-1s. Having said that a buzz-bomb performance and easily MOM

California-Hibs
29-10-2016, 06:02 PM
Very very good game. Delighted for him as many of us had suspicions that he'd do what he tends to sometimes do - make a great cameo sub appearance, be rewarded with a start the following week and then fail to deliver. Today he delivered, big time! Always a threat. A bit of pace and drive in this league pays dividends. His chip goal was also a beauty!

hibby6270
29-10-2016, 06:04 PM
If MoM had gone to anyone else today, we'd have been justified to have a pitch invasion in protest.:wink::wink:

His best game in a green and white shirt by a mile.

Did he not get MoM one time before after only being on field for 20 minutes or so? Mind you it was deserved given the thunderbolt winner of a goal he scored that night against Dumbarton.

bingo70
29-10-2016, 06:09 PM
I thought he was superb today and not just his work rate, he was much more than a headless chicken today.

I disagree with a couple of posts on this thread though, I think Holt and Fyvie ran him pretty close for motm and if it'd gone to one of them I wouldn't have had any complaints.

marinello59
29-10-2016, 06:14 PM
Well deserved MOTM. That was a great reaction he got when it was announced.

calumhibee1
29-10-2016, 06:15 PM
If MoM had gone to anyone else today, we'd have been justified to have a pitch invasion in protest.:wink::wink:

His best game in a green and white shirt by a mile.

Did he not get MoM one time before after only being on field for 20 minutes or so? Mind you it was deserved given the thunderbolt winner of a goal he scored that night against Dumbarton.

I dunno if he got MOTM but that goal was against Livi. Incredible stuff.

danhibees1875
29-10-2016, 06:51 PM
I dunno if he got MOTM but that goal was against Livi. Incredible stuff.

It was. I was sat next to my livi supporting pal as it went in. :greengrin

northstandhibby
29-10-2016, 06:56 PM
The lad deserves his own thread tonight. He ran his socks off, was always an attacking threat, scored a great goal and gave the St Mirren defence no peace.

To quote my mate,' Ge us like a wee dug chasing a piece of paper'.

Easily the MoM.

:top marks

When he turns it on he is a star player. He did it today. Just the kind of performance and work-rate we need. Well done Martin.

GGTTH

HibbiesandtheBaddies
29-10-2016, 06:57 PM
Great performance by the lad today. Keep it up!

JohnM1875
29-10-2016, 07:28 PM
He's ****ing rapid!! Had an outstanding game today. Gives us something no other player in our squad can. Really rate him.

Highland_Hibee
29-10-2016, 07:42 PM
Much deserved standing ovation when he went off. Nothing you want more from a player on the fringes than grabbing his opportunity and being the best player on the park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreenNWhiteArmy
29-10-2016, 07:46 PM
Phenomenal performance. Aside from the running at defenders making them **** themselves everytime he went near them, his all round game was almost perfect.

He won aerial duels and held the ball up extremely well against guys twice his build . Overall link up play was outstanding.

Said to my mate at the game I'm worried about the Jase situation but maybe he needs to pay some attention to hard working guys like Boyle.

HibbySpurs
29-10-2016, 08:07 PM
I thought he was superb today and not just his work rate, he was much more than a headless chicken today.

I disagree with a couple of posts on this thread though, I think Holt and Fyvie ran him pretty close for motm and if it'd gone to one of them I wouldn't have had any complaints.

Agree with this 100%. Boyle was great and ran their defence ragged but Fyvie and Holt's contributions were fantastic as well. Thought Fyvie was very busy and shook off the knock he got very well. The big man scored and worked really hard all game and just started to tire a wee bit before going off.

On the downside is it just me or is Shinnie so out of form it's ridiculous. Thought he was poor, hoping he really comes onto a game soon but just not impressed at all today and not for the first time this season with him.

Famous Fiver
29-10-2016, 08:13 PM
Lennon 1 Hibs.net (including me) 0.

Thought Boyle was much better as an impact sub as he showed last week, and was a poor starter as he has shown already this season.

Well done Neil, you proved us wrong. He was the dug's b*ws!!!

Crammond Hibee
29-10-2016, 08:20 PM
Phenomenal performance. Aside from the running at defenders making them **** themselves everytime he went near them, his all round game was almost perfect.

He won aerial duels and held the ball up extremely well against guys twice his build . Overall link up play was outstanding.

Said to my mate at the game I'm worried about the Jase situation but maybe he needs to pay some attention to hard working guys like Boyle.
I'm not in the least worried about the Jason situation .The others are keeping him out.Its Jason that should be worried. Boyle deserved his start after turning the Dunfermline game and he took it.
That's now the team

fishybeaver
29-10-2016, 08:26 PM
Am I the only one who thought Boyle had a decent game but thinks Shinnie, Hanlon and Holt would be more worthy winners of motm?

GreenNWhiteArmy
29-10-2016, 08:38 PM
I'm not in the least worried about the Jason situation .The others are keeping him out.Its Jason that should be worried. Boyle deserved his start after turning the Dunfermline game and he took it.
That's now the team

I hear exactly what you're saying and I'm delighted Boyle has done the business in the last game and a bit but when our top goal scorer for the last 2 seasons (and current top scorer) isn't getting any sort of look in. It worries me.

If Boyle struggles next game the fans will be begging NL to bring back Jase so my point is more that I hope there is no long term issue here

IberianHibernian
29-10-2016, 08:43 PM
Am I the only one who thought Boyle had a decent game but thinks Shinnie, Hanlon and Holt would be more worthy winners of motm?No you`re not . I would have given it to Shinnie , Fyvie or Holt before Boyle but Martin put in a great shift and I expect him to be important in Ayr too . Against the weaker teams in our division ( the 3 teams we play / have played last week , today and next week ) I think he`s a great option from start or from bench , against stronger teams I haven`t seen anything to suggest he deserves a place but he has a great attitude and will hopefully prove me wrong .

Bobby's Cinema
29-10-2016, 08:48 PM
Shows you what pace can do in this league. Boyle is more than that though, very classy finish for the opener.

Get at teams early and get the game won early. That is what we done today, job done and comfortably.

Very well done today. I was hearing around me that today was boring but I disagree. After last week and this, firmly back on track

fishybeaver
29-10-2016, 08:49 PM
No you`re not . I would have given it to Shinnie , Fyvie or Holt before Boyle but Martin put in a great shift and I expect him to be important in Ayr too . Against the weaker teams in our division ( the 3 teams we play / have played last week , today and next week ) I think he`s a great option from start or from bench , against stronger teams I haven`t seen anything to suggest he deserves a place but he has a great attitude and will hopefully prove me wrong .
Agree with that when you look at him, Jason and Harris we've got some decent options that are fit at the moment.

familyman
29-10-2016, 08:57 PM
Agree with that when you look at him, Jason and Harris we've got some decent options that are fit at the moment.
Well Holt and Boyle link so well now, with JC not playing they seem to be able to roam more freely to great effect..much more fluid play and much improved passing all round...even when our usual best player was not at his peak for most of the game,it did not matter due to an all round team performance topped by Boyle who ran his socks off..reminded me of Jimmy O'Rourke with his energy ...:flag:

NAE NOOKIE
29-10-2016, 08:59 PM
Great performance by Boyle today, ye gods he chased down everything, was always looking for the ball and took his goal really well. Surprised to see nobody mention Paul Hanlon though, he was superb especially in the first half.

IberianHibernian
29-10-2016, 09:02 PM
Well Holt and Boyle link so well now, with JC not playing they seem to be able to roam more freely to great effect..much more fluid play and much improved passing all round...even when our usual best player was not at his peak for most of the game,it did not matter due to an all round team performance topped by Boyle who ran his socks off..reminded me of Jimmy O'Rourke with his energy ...:flag:I remember Jimmy O`R for his clinical finishing something I definitely don`t associate with Boyle . Likewise I don`t remember Jimmy for his pace .

fishybeaver
29-10-2016, 09:03 PM
Great performance by Boyle today, ye gods he chased down everything, was always looking for the ball and took his goal really well. Surprised to see nobody mention Paul Hanlon though, he was superb especially in the first half.
I did 😉

JohnM1875
29-10-2016, 09:04 PM
Am I the only one who thought Boyle had a decent game but thinks Shinnie, Hanlon and Holt would be more worthy winners of motm?

Mental how people's opinions can differ eh? I thought both Holt and Shinnie were average at best today and Boyle was without a doubt a stand out and MOTM. If anyone pushed him close it was Stevenson or McGregor who were both fantastic.

Crammond Hibee
29-10-2016, 09:07 PM
No you`re not . I would have given it to Shinnie , Fyvie or Holt before Boyle but Martin put in a great shift and I expect him to be important in Ayr too . Against the weaker teams in our division ( the 3 teams we play / have played last week , today and next week ) I think he`s a great option from start or from bench , against stronger teams I haven`t seen anything to suggest he deserves a place but he has a great attitude and will hopefully prove me wrong .
Boyle was easily MOTM
But those others were good.
He did it last week and this and is lightening
No one else is
He is a great foil for Holt

Crammond Hibee
29-10-2016, 09:09 PM
Agree with this 100%. Boyle was great and ran their defence ragged but Fyvie and Holt's contributions were fantastic as well. Thought Fyvie was very busy and shook off the knock he got very well. The big man scored and worked really hard all game and just started to tire a wee bit before going off.

On the downside is it just me or is Shinnie so out of form it's ridiculous. Thought he was poor, hoping he really comes onto a game soon but just not impressed at all today and not for the first time this season with him.

Shinnie linked play from back to front well.
McGinn was poor

Crammond Hibee
29-10-2016, 09:12 PM
I hear exactly what you're saying and I'm delighted Boyle has done the business in the last game and a bit but when our top goal scorer for the last 2 seasons (and current top scorer) isn't getting any sort of look in. It worries me.

If Boyle struggles next game the fans will be begging NL to bring back Jase so my point is more that I hope there is no long term issue here
I'm not worried when winning .Jason will be back .Not the best option at the moment

J-C
29-10-2016, 09:27 PM
The wee man was superb, his pace put the sh itters up their defence, never stopped running and harrying and took his goal really well, he sees himself more as a striker and not as a winger, maybe that's where we've been going wrong with him, play him through the middle.

Seekyit
29-10-2016, 09:45 PM
Excellent today. All over the park as well, pity he didn't get a second.

IberianHibernian
29-10-2016, 10:32 PM
Shows you what pace can do in this league. Boyle is more than that though, very classy finish for the opener.

Get at teams early and get the game won early. That is what we done today, job done and comfortably.

Very well done today. I was hearing around me that today was boring but I disagree. After last week and this, firmly back on trackYes but St Mirren almost scored in the first minute then again a couple of minutes later . Boyle took goal well but missed easier chances too . Anyway Neil and all of us know that present strikers in squad would have to be improved if we get promoted and want to challenge for top 3 so hopefully Boyle and others in present squad will get us promotion and prove they`re good enough to take us to European positions of league .

LaMotta
29-10-2016, 10:57 PM
Mental how people's opinions can differ eh? I thought both Holt and Shinnie were average at best today and Boyle was without a doubt a stand out and MOTM. If anyone pushed him close it was Stevenson or McGregor who were both fantastic.

Agree re Shinnie but thought Holt had a great game. Him and Boyle work well together up front.

Boyle has in the main played for us on the wing and done pretty well there but i think he is far more effective as a striker playing on the shoulder of the defence. Not just his ability to get on the end of flicks or make long balls look like good passes but also the way he closes down defenders!

murray26
29-10-2016, 11:15 PM
Brilliant today.. no many defences in this league will be able to handle his pace..

northstandhibby
29-10-2016, 11:18 PM
Agree re Shinnie but thought Holt had a great game. Him and Boyle work well together up front.

Boyle has in the main played for us on the wing and done pretty well there but i think he is far more effective as a striker playing on the shoulder of the defence. Not just his ability to get on the end of flicks or make long balls look like good passes but also the way he closes down defenders!

:top marks

Two in two games albeit could have been three. He is coming onto being a very good player indeed for us.

GGTTH

jacomo
29-10-2016, 11:33 PM

Come on now. Cummings got dropped. We've won both games since. Dry your eyes.

monktonharp
29-10-2016, 11:38 PM
Squirrel was immense today. ran about everywhere and his goal was good. If Cummings could perform like that, we'd never have to worry. his performance was so good, and on another day he'd have had a hatrick.

Borderhibbie76
30-10-2016, 08:26 AM
I hope that Jase was sitting on the bench watching the unbelievable work rate of both Squirrel and Holt because Jase that's why you were dropped. Yes he is a goalscorer but the problem is when he is not scoring IE last 5 to 6 weeks- he contributes nothing to the team whatsoever. 2 weeks ago at Starks Park highlighting this as we were down to 10 and Cummings was like playing with 9 that day. I think this spell on the sidelines will hopefully improve him as a player

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

BlackSheep
30-10-2016, 08:54 AM
This forum never ceases to amaze me.

For weeks many have been touting Boyle as a starting player, his performances for the development squad alone are enough to get him a chance and thankfully yesterday he took it and from my POV anyone will be hard pressed to move him from the starting lineup if he continues in that form.

He added the urgency that our whole team needs. The addition of both Boyle/Keatings in the past few games as well as the solid form of Fontaine since his return is exactly why our form has changed.

Many have been saying for weeks for us fans to have patience and things will click... well I think that time has come... Lennon has always favoured the 3-5-2 / 5-3-2 formation and now that Fonts is back and we have hard working and pacey front men on the field it hopefully will only get better.

Congrats on a great game Boyle.... Cummings take note.

HibbySpurs
30-10-2016, 09:22 AM
Shinnie linked play from back to front well.
McGinn was poor

Thinking more about Shinnie the day and it occurs that the fact he's getting the ball so much he's bound to make mistakes so in hindsight maybe I was being a bit harsh by just seeing the things he did wrong rather than those he did right.

HappyHanlon
30-10-2016, 09:25 AM
Fantastic from Boyle. People say he's a impact player/super sub but I genuinely think we have a player on our hands who just needs a run of games.

Improving week after week and his workrate yesterday was untouchable.

jax67
30-10-2016, 12:36 PM

On the downside is it just me or is Shinnie so out of form it's ridiculous. Thought he was poor, hoping he really comes onto a game soon but just

not impressed at all today and not for the first time this season with him.

Opinions eh? I thought Shinnies performance in the first half was pretty damn good.
Great pass for Boyles goal, also had a hand in the second goal. Just what I like to see from the play maker.

HibbySpurs
30-10-2016, 01:34 PM
Opinions eh? I thought Shinnies performance in the first half was pretty damn good.
Great pass for Boyles goal, also had a hand in the second goal. Just what I like to see from the play maker.

Yeah as I said above maybe I was being a tad harsh but he did make some errors in the second half.

My_Wife_Camille
30-10-2016, 01:44 PM
I like Boyle. He's a good player and a very decent guy but my main problem is his consistency. That's far from the first time we've seen him perform like that but so often games seem to pass him by. Am on form Martin Boyle is as important a player as we have but we just don't see it enough! Some of the sitters he's missed since signing are awful, even if he has made up for it with a few beauties!

J-C
30-10-2016, 01:50 PM
Biggest problem we've had with Boyle is he's seen primarily as a winger before he's a striker and TBH he was a striker when he played for Montrose and he sees himself as a striker, his pace is scary and due to this he's been used by us and Dundee as a winger, play him where he played yesterday and he'll cause defences loads of problems.

Hermit Crab
30-10-2016, 02:34 PM
Very good again yesterday after his cameo last Saturday. Done really well and with a little more composure he'd have had a hatrick. MOTM performance and has earned his place away at Ayr next week in my opinion.

Big L
30-10-2016, 05:44 PM
Their can be no complaints if NL decides to give Boyle and Holt a run, great pace and an aerial threat to, could be a potent partnership!

NORTHERNHIBBY
30-10-2016, 06:25 PM
A front man who can win and hold the ball and another who has a real turn of speed are an effective and adaptable front two no matter the type of football being played to get the ball to them.

Leith_Hibee
31-10-2016, 01:17 PM
Boyle was very good however lets not get carried away. For me he needs to work on his finishing (great goal on saturday) but he's shown previously that his pace gets him in fantastic positions but he has trouble hitting the net. If he sorts this we have a player.

Being a bit picky here but only in Scotland do you get a round of applause for chasing lost causes, I'd like to see him use his head more and choose when he's going to press, there were a few times on Saturday he chased down lost causes and got picked off as he was alone.

Geo_1875
31-10-2016, 04:04 PM
Boyle was very good however lets not get carried away. For me he needs to work on his finishing (great goal on saturday) but he's shown previously that his pace gets him in fantastic positions but he has trouble hitting the net. If he sorts this we have a player.

Being a bit picky here but only in Scotland do you get a round of applause for chasing lost causes, I'd like to see him use his head more and choose when he's going to press, there were a few times on Saturday he chased down lost causes and got picked off as he was alone.

I'd rather he chased and harried than stood off and give defenders time to build from the back. They were bricking it every time the ball got into their half and rightly so. His pace is his biggest asset and we should use it whenever possible.

CallumLaidlaw
31-10-2016, 04:12 PM
A front man who can win and hold the ball and another who has a real turn of speed are an effective and adaptable front two no matter the type of football being played to get the ball to them.

Yep, and absolute nightmare of a partnership for defences.

I liked how Holt wasn't scared just to stick the ball into some space behind the defenders sometimes (more of a bott up the park than a pass), knowing that Boyle would chase it down and beat the defender to it, putting them under pressure.