PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps the best performance of the season so far?

California-Hibs
29-10-2016, 05:30 PM
I massively enjoyed that today. I felt all the ingredients were there. Let's be honest it was 2-0 going on 6/7. Holts penalty miss, Boyle 1 on 1, Shinnies chance etc. The defense was solid and very worthy of the clean sheet.

The thing that impressed me most was the drive from EVERY player, but this week it was the 1st minute to the 95th. We had a bit of this drive last week in the 2nd half, but this week it was increased and for the FULL game. Very very enjoyable to watch when the players only have one thing in mind and that's to drive with the ball.

Not to mention both finishes were also high quality too!

All in all it was a superb performance in my option. The Morton 4-0 win is a contender, but I felt alround today we were at our max.

Thoughts?

frazeHFC
29-10-2016, 05:33 PM
The only disappointment today was that it only finished 2-0. Need to be more clinical but that was a great performance. Easiest man of the match decision we'll have this season I reckon!

ancient hibee
29-10-2016, 05:34 PM
St Mirren were prepared to come out and play so it made for a much more open game.Our pressing was good but overall was a bit better than OK.

Dashing Bob S
29-10-2016, 05:38 PM
The attitude was spot on. A lot of the play could have been better, but if they show that commitment, it will come.

Scott Allan Key
29-10-2016, 05:42 PM
Started to look like we're getting people in the box from midfield too. Just need a couple more things to click and we'll be flying.

hibeg
29-10-2016, 06:37 PM
I massively enjoyed that today. I felt all the ingredients were there. Let's be honest it was 2-0 going on 6/7. Holts penalty miss, Boyle 1 on 1, Shinnies chance etc. The defense was solid and very worthy of the clean sheet.

The thing that impressed me most was the drive from EVERY player, but this week it was the 1st minute to the 95th. We had a bit of this drive last week in the 2nd half, but this week it was increased and for the FULL game. Very very enjoyable to watch when the players only have one thing in mind and that's to drive with the ball.

Not to mention both finishes were also high quality too!

All in all it was a superb performance in my option. The Morton 4-0 win is a contender, but I felt alround today we were at our max.

Thoughts?

It's all about opinions ,but I thought first half we could easily have conceded 2/3 goals. Our defence was all over the place and on more than one occasion the Saints were through with only the keeper to beat. Luckily they missed sitters and other cleared off the line
For me the Morton game was out best home display by far !

Still Smiling
29-10-2016, 06:37 PM
Thought our best games this season were away to Brondby and home to Morton.:flag:

wookie70
29-10-2016, 07:09 PM
It's all about opinions ,but I thought first half we could easily have conceded 2/3 goals. Our defence was all over the place and on more than one occasion the Saints were through with only the keeper to beat. Luckily they missed sitters and other cleared off the line
For me the Morton game was out best home display by far !

I would agree will all of that. We did well most of the game after an atrocious first minute or two. Was the aimless hump up the park to gift possesion from KO in honour of Alex Miller being in the crowd. The first goal was fantastic play. Stevenson wins it back, Shinnie with a pinpoint pass and a great finish from Boyle who benefited from having no time to think. We rode our luck in the first half and could easily have conceded a couple. I thought the score at half time flattered us.

St Mirren were very poor in the second half and we seemed to get stronger as the game went on. Again some lovely play but still loads of missed passes and poor decisions. I'm not a great Fontaine fan but he was excellent today as was the ever steady Darren M. Thought SDG was great at getting forward but let himself down with the final ball. Boyle was a livewire thoughout but his finishing was poor bar the goal. He does thoroughly deserves to keep his place and made a difference to our drive athough I would have fancied JC to have scored 2 or 3 today. I would have given MOTM to Shinnie myself. He works very hard and has great quality.

All in All we played like we played for the first month of the season. Workmanlike with lots of effort and flashes of real quality. On this occasion the opposition never took the chances we gifted. Much like pretty much every game for the last 2 1/2 years we missed loads of chances. Not sure about the three at the back but do like that we now have pretty much three up top with Shinnie being the creator. If we are playing three at the back I would play Harris and Boyle as wingbacks against most of the teams in the league. Well done Hibs on another 3pts on the journey back to where we belong

O'Rourke3
29-10-2016, 07:26 PM
Never as good today as the game against Morton. Dominated possession and scored two good goals and never kicked on. Some brilliant moments - move where Fyvie was denied by Clangers and several bits where concentration was lacking ans passes overhit, underhit or misplaced. Good result but an average team performance for me. We have (or should have) another level.

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-10-2016, 07:46 PM
Second half at East End Park. Had everything you want to see your team doing.

Highland_Hibee
29-10-2016, 07:51 PM
Can't complain about any players attitude after that effort. Boyle in particular tried his heart out. Today wasn't quite as refined as I felt the Morton game was. We don't need perfection though. We just need to keep on picking up the 3pts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreenNWhiteArmy
29-10-2016, 08:01 PM
I thought we played well without really being tested or pushed to up it at any point today.

In terms of influencing the result, massive shout out to Boyle and Holt. Goals aside they were tremendous. Linking up with each other, with midfield. They were excellent and glad NL took both off to get their appreciation from the crowd.

McGregor won everything and Fyvie grew in to the game.

Could have been 5 or 6 today so disappointing not to score more but I didn't really feel the result was ever in doubt (other than maybe 5-10 mins in the first half)

Pretty Boy
29-10-2016, 08:02 PM
Boyle and Holt is interesting, in a good way.

The big hold up man and the nippy livewire, impressed with both today.

SRHibs
29-10-2016, 08:36 PM
I didn't think we were at all good in the first half. So many misplaced passes, and St Mirren looked a real threat. Second half we completely controlled and St Mirren looked less threatening with every minute that passed. There was a wee bit too much hoofball for my liking too. Happy with the result of course.

ahibby
29-10-2016, 08:43 PM
St Mirren had two decent chances in the first minute. Hibs didn't score with a penalty and missed a few one on one chances. So if that's our best performance we won't sell many half season tickets. A few players were off the boil (they were also off Boyle who was the star today). The Buddies are bottom of the league so nothing to get excited about here, let's move on.

Tyler Durden
29-10-2016, 09:14 PM
Hibs played well in spells but finishing remains a problem.

I'm not a fan of playing 3 at the back in this division. Back 3 were solid aside from an early slip and front 3 were good aside from some frustrating choices by Shinnie. Middle 4 of Gray, Fyvie, McGinn and Lewis were really average IMO. McGinn especially a shadow of his peak capability

I've missed a number of games this season but aside from Brondby away, I've not seen any games where we've played at the levels Stubbs had us for majority of last season. Without Henderson, McGeouch rarely fit and now Cummings being excluded by Lennon, we just don't have the same quality IMO. Still should win this league comfortably but not as good to watch.

NAE NOOKIE
29-10-2016, 09:16 PM
It was a decent performance and really should have been rewarded with more goals, Langfield actually had a pretty good game for St Mirren and made some good saves, though our finishing could have been better. As another poster alluded to, if we could replicate our performance in the second half at Dunfermline we would stroll this league.

Credit to St Mirren, they actually tried to make a game of it which made for a more open match than we usually see at Easter Road. They made a few chances, but our defence were pretty solid throughout apart from the odd shaky moment ... I thought Hanlon was excellent in the first half.

The only thing that bugged me was right at the end when we got down to their corner flag and instead of trying to get the ball into the box held it in the corner ..... fine if you are only 1 - 0 up with a couple of minutes to go, but at 2 - 0 I would have preferred us to go for another goal.

wookie70
29-10-2016, 09:38 PM
The only thing that bugged me was right at the end when we got down to their corner flag and instead of trying to get the ball into the box held it in the corner ..... fine if you are only 1 - 0 up with a couple of minutes to go, but at 2 - 0 I would have preferred us to go for another goal.

It may have been a bit over cautious but we have to get used to seeing games out. It wasn't a great game today and in the last few minutes you aren't going to make it much better. I'll settle for the make sure you get the three points attitude over being cavalier when there are only a couple of minutes left every game.

IberianHibernian
29-10-2016, 09:55 PM
Of all the games I`ve seen this season ( in my case Hibs TV but I also include the few games I`ve been at this season in person ) that was the one I enjoyed most but that doesn`t mean that it was our best performance . Credit to St Mirren for having a go and not being as negative as other teams . They had a great chance in the first minute and nearly scored a few times later on . Better teams would have taken their chances and we`d have been struggling . Up front Boyle took his goal well but then missed an easy chance after missing a pass for an easy chance for Holt ( ? ) and that`s only the first half but in other matches we`ve dominated but missed chances and been slack at the back ( today a better team would have punished us for mistakes like in first minute ) . Anyway main thing is that we won and hopefully we`ll win in Ayr so will have an advantage in table before we play the stronger teams .

Dashing Bob S
29-10-2016, 09:59 PM
Falkirk (A), Brondy (H & A) and Morton (H) I would consider better performances than today. But the second half against Dunfermline and today showed that we could be getting back up to that level.

IberianHibernian
29-10-2016, 10:03 PM
It was a decent performance and really should have been rewarded with more goals, Langfield actually had a pretty good game for St Mirren and made some good saves, though our finishing could have been better. As another poster alluded to, if we could replicate our performance in the second half at Dunfermline we would stroll this league.

Credit to St Mirren, they actually tried to make a game of it which made for a more open match than we usually see at Easter Road. They made a few chances, but our defence were pretty solid throughout apart from the odd shaky moment ... I thought Hanlon was excellent in the first half.

The only thing that bugged me was right at the end when we got down to their corner flag and instead of trying to get the ball into the box held it in the corner ..... fine if you are only 1 - 0 up with a couple of minutes to go, but at 2 - 0 I would have preferred us to go for another goal. I agree with you about taking ball to the corner at the end . 2-0 up and we`d just brought on Harris , one of our most creative players who`s been getting good reports in development team games . If idea is to waste time bring on a defender and give Harris at least 30 minutes as a sub if there`s no place in starting team in other match . Go for 3-0 . Sadly it`s expected now even at 2-0 at home and Hibs TV commentator seemed to think it was quite normal .

givescotlandfreedom
30-10-2016, 12:40 AM
I didn't think it was a great performance. Certainly not compared to Morton at home but credit to St Mirren for trying to play football instead of booting us off the park like most teams.

monktonharp
30-10-2016, 01:03 AM
we had a couple of scares in the first minutes but were much the better team. they had what looked like a certain goal headed of the line but big Holt and Boyle were immense. second half, John Mc Ginn started to play well but got injured then subbed . we were by far the better team without being really tested.pleased.

ekhibee
30-10-2016, 02:50 AM
It was a good performance, without being anything special. Certain players stood out, such as Boyle, who worked really hard. I know St Mirren are bottom of the league, but IMO they are a better team than some of the others just above them, so the result might actually turn out to be a pretty good one.

brog
30-10-2016, 11:47 AM
Only based on the highlights we looked a bit lucky not to concede a goal or 2. We seemed very poor at picking up people from corners, a bit worrying given we had 3 CB's playing. In addition, other than the pen & Boyle's missed one on one we didn't seem to create many clearcut chances. Still, the result was the main thing. One thing re the highlights, the slo mo pitch level replays of the goals are outstanding, well done Hibs TV!

matty_f
30-10-2016, 12:03 PM
I thought it was a thoroughly competent performance. The result was never in doubt and there was really only one team in it.

We were totally in control and deserved the win.

Best performance? Probably not - as others have pointed out we've done better in other games, but I don't have any major complaints about how we did yesterday.