PDA

View Full Version : Player Ratings vs St Mirren

Pedantic_Hibee
29-10-2016, 05:15 PM
Marciano 6 - Gave him a 6 but it could have been a zero or a ten. I have no idea if he's any good or not, he hardly has anything to do.

Gray 7 - Gets up and down the park, barely makes a mistake, hardly looks troubled either. Fully committed in the challenge again which I love.

McGregor 8 - I'd never go shoulder to shoulder with him, I'd end up in a different postcode. Solid, unruffled and comfortable on the ball.

Fontaine 8 - The Black Beckenbauer. Few strides forward today, again he's untroubled, mopped up well and dominant in the air.

Hanlon 8 - He really is a lovely footballer. Calm, composed and commanding.

Stevenson 7 - Usual. Motors up and down the park and did well to contend with their absolute hammer thrower of a right back.

Fyvie 7 - Threaded things together nicely. Always, always available which I love.

McGinn 6 - In and out of the game, one of his quieter games today.

Shinnie 6 - First class assist for the opener but then proceeded to frustrate me for the remainder of the game. The ball bounces between his ankles, he sometimes carries all the elegance of a new born giraffe and he makes the wrong decisions. Frustrating because I know there's a terrific footballer in there. Never hides though which is a credit to him.

Holt 8 - All the experience in the world. Wins it, holds it and he must be a nightmare to play against. Good goal, tons of headed flick ons and put himself about. Very vocal too.

Boyle 9 - I imagine he leaves Easter Road and runs all the way home. Faster than me in the bedroom, boundless energy and set the tone with his endless enthusiasm. Brilliant.

Lennon - Spot on tactics wise.

All in all, a training session today I feel. If we really set our minds to it we could have scored four or five.

The Harp Awakes
29-10-2016, 05:27 PM
Marciano 6 - Gave him a 6 but it could have been a zero or a ten. I have no idea if he's any good or not, he hardly has anything to do.

Gray 7 - Gets up and down the park, barely makes a mistake, hardly looks troubled either. Fully committed in the challenge again which I love.

McGregor 8 - I'd never go shoulder to shoulder with him, I'd end up in a different postcode. Solid, unruffled and comfortable on the ball.

Fontaine 8 - The Black Beckenbauer. Few strides forward today, again he's untroubled, mopped up well and dominant in the air.

Stevenson 7 - Usual. Motors up and down the park and did well to contend with their absolute hammer thrower of a right back.

Fyvie 7 - Threaded things together nicely. Always, always available which I love.

Shinnie 6 - First class assist for the opener but then proceeded to frustrate me for the remainder of the game. The ball bounces between his ankles, he sometimes carries all the elegance of a new born giraffe and he makes the wrong decisions. Frustrating because I know there's a terrific footballer in there. Never hides though which is a credit to him.

Holt 8 - All the experience in the world. Wins it, holds it and he must be a nightmare to play against. Good goal, tons of headed flick ons and put himself about. Very vocal too.

Boyle 9 - I imagine he leaves Easter Road and runs all the way home. Faster than me in the bedroom, boundless energy and set the tone with his endless enthusiasm. Brilliant.

All in all, a training session today I feel. If we really set our minds to it we could have scored four or five.

Pretty much agree with that. Boyle was easily the MOM. Apart from an uneasy first couple of minutes the defence strolled the game. How we only scored 2 in the game is quite unbelievable. The biggest concern remains the amount of chances we're missing. Still, another 3 points so onwards and upwards.

Lennon deserves credit for playing Boyle and Holt up top and he certainly got his tactics spot on.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
29-10-2016, 05:33 PM
Boyler was fantastic today. Scared their right sided centre back all game and started linking up well with Holty before he was hooked.

Hope he gets his start next week.

hibee_girl
29-10-2016, 05:36 PM
Would agree with most of the OP's post but I thought Gray was off his game today, Shinnie was better than he has been lately and Stevenson had a magnificent goal line clearance which hasn't been mentioned :greengrin

Hibernian Verse
29-10-2016, 05:45 PM

Thanks for putting this up with some good comments. Couldn't make the game unfortunately!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

allezsauzee
29-10-2016, 06:10 PM
I like Shinnie, I think he sometimes just needs somebody to making a run off him so that he can feed them. If it's not happening then rather than just play a hopefull ball he'll retain possession, sometimes he'll end up being caught in possession as a result. I imagine he'll divide opinion in the same way that Liam Miller did.

marinello59
29-10-2016, 06:28 PM

Agree with most of that.
McGinn is getting marked and fouled out of the game though. It's really tough for him to get anything going but it does show the respect other teams have for him.

Brightside
29-10-2016, 07:05 PM
Would agree with most of the OP's post but I thought Gray was off his game today, Shinnie was better than he has been lately and Stevenson had a magnificent goal line clearance which hasn't been mentioned :greengrin

Agree with that also... oh but id give Hanlon 10/10. :wink::wink:

Argylehibby
29-10-2016, 07:13 PM

Thought Shinnie ran Boyle close for MOM today. Fyvie did really well as usual and Paul Hanlon is quite easily the best central defender the club has had in decades.

erin go bragh
29-10-2016, 07:20 PM
Boyler was fantastic today. Scared their right sided centre back all game and started linking up well with Holty before he was hooked.

Hope he gets his start next week.

Boyle just cemented his place for next week with that performance. Him and Holt we're brilliant together.

Hibeewilly
29-10-2016, 07:21 PM
That was Martin Boyles best game for Hibs without doubt. I also thought Fraser Fyvie was immense today - he must touch the ball more than any other Hibs player and therefore he will misplace the odd pass but he never shys away from wanting the ball and I wouldn't like to see our midfield without him.

Highland_Hibee
29-10-2016, 07:33 PM
Marciano 6 - As OP said hard to judge. Probably best to still be left wondering if you have a good keeper over knowing you have a bad one.

Gray 7 - Tried to do what he could going forward and dealt with his duties at the back.

McGregor 8 - Love this guy, would be a bouncer if he wasn't a footballer. Ain't no one getting in if he says so.

Fontaine 8 - Always makes his presence known when he is on the pitch. Showed composure on the ball too.

Hanlon 7 - Didn't notice much aside from another settled display.

Stevenson 7 - Kept on top of his man despite the stature disadvantage. Got forward whenever he could.

Fyvie 6 - I really didn't see today as one of his better performances. Bit sloppy but still always making himself available.

McGinn 7 - Some nice moves and passes. Again not quite the player we have seen before but we do have a high standard for him.

Shinnie 6 - probably worth at worst a 7 on the first half but a 5 at best in the second. Frustrating as he shows signs of a good player. Got a giggle out of the guy in the East telling him he is not up here on holiday.

Holt 8 - Uses his knowledge very well which makes the poor penalty all the more surprising. Forget that though he put himself about as always and gave Boyle space to run into.

Boyle 9 - Absolutely ran at everything which doesn't always win a player praise. He however looked on to do something every time he did. If he took his other chances I'd say a perfect 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoscoHibby
29-10-2016, 07:36 PM
That was Martin Boyles best game for Hibs without doubt. I also thought Fraser Fyvie was immense today - he must touch the ball more than any other Hibs player and therefore he will misplace the odd pass but he never shys away from wanting the ball and I wouldn't like to see our midfield without him.

Agree, we are lucky to have fyvie, some of the treatment he gets from our own support is bewildering. Excellent football player, works his erse off as well.

Lee Marvin
29-10-2016, 07:38 PM
Shinnie was easily worth an 8 today. GREAT movement, vision and creativity. Nearly everything positive went through him at some stage

Famous Fiver
29-10-2016, 08:04 PM
Pretty good summing up so far but would stress that McGinn gets kicked from pillar to post, but that does make room for others.

Marv was pretty impressive when he came on, certain starter for me away from home.

Oh, and zero out of ten for another dickhead referee. Just have a look at the foul count AGAIN! How their number 5 didn't have first go at the hot water first is beyond me. Refs really need to get to grips with the hammer throwers.

NAE NOOKIE
29-10-2016, 09:22 PM

Usually like to give my own marks, but this is pretty well exactly what I would have said

Marco G
29-10-2016, 09:41 PM
If that was Gray off his game it just proves how good he is! Three at the back let him get up and down the pitch even more than usual, so sorry to disagree with you cause I thought he was great today!
Also we had a good few chances but fair play to Langfield in making some crucial saves, or it would have been 5 or 6.

QMU-1875
29-10-2016, 11:02 PM
Shinnie was man of the match up until the 60th minute where everything he touched just went horribly wrong. If he plays like he did first half we have a new Scott Allan, second half performance I wouldn't start him.

IberianHibernian
29-10-2016, 11:04 PM
I enjoyed the match and thought the whole team did well in general but noone really deserved more than 7 given weakness of opposition , chances missed by strikers and easy chances St Mirren also missed . Gray and Stevenson are struggling to find form ( Gray was the same last spring till final ) and Holt and Boyle played well but also missed crucial chances .

Cat Stanton
30-10-2016, 12:24 AM
Agree with most of that.
McGinn is getting marked and fouled out of the game though. It's really tough for him to get anything going but it does show the respect other teams have for him.

Wasn't there today but in the second half last week thought he was outstanding. And was with a non-Hibs supporter last week who thought he was outstanding full stop. Maybe we're too used to him being very good..?

I also have it on very good authority (a teacher pal of his teacher mum) that he's been having some kind of foot problem this season. So he's not 100% compared to last season.

green day
30-10-2016, 07:14 AM
Shinnie was man of the match up until the 60th minute where everything he touched just went horribly wrong. If he plays like he did first half we have a new Scott Allan, second half performance I wouldn't start him.

Shinnie? Think his link up play is good, always looking for the ball at throw ins etc. Agree his 2nd half was a bit frustrating.

It's funny, I was getting annoyed with McGinn but have come to appreciate all the dirty work he is doing this season.

As for Fyvie? He's my player of the season so far in a midfield formation I really really like.

This 352 system really works well for us at the moment.

Earlydelivery
30-10-2016, 07:22 AM
Have to agree with some of the above posts about fyvie , played a bit myself in his position and it's not the easiest he just constantly wants the ball ,and sometimes he's gonna lose it but we've just got to put up with it , but he's very important to us big time

Ardenttwo
30-10-2016, 07:37 AM
Pretty good summing up so far but would stress that McGinn gets kicked from pillar to post, but that does make room for others.

Marv was pretty impressive when he came on, certain starter for me away from home.

Oh, and zero out of ten for another dickhead referee. Just have a look at the foul count AGAIN! How their number 5 didn't have first go at the hot water first is beyond me. Refs really need to get to grips with the hammer throwers.

Marv was lucky to stay on the pitch. Should have had a red card for laughing at the crowd

Tyler Durden
30-10-2016, 07:48 AM
I enjoyed the match and thought the whole team did well in general but noone really deserved more than 7 given weakness of opposition , chances missed by strikers and easy chances St Mirren also missed . Gray and Stevenson are struggling to find form ( Gray was the same last spring till final ) and Holt and Boyle played well but also missed crucial chances .

This is the most accurate summary I've seen. Gray and Stevenson were quite poor by the standards we know they can achieve.

As for the 3-4-3 formation..... We are not getting better width going forward from Gray and Lewis and we don't look any safer defending corners with our zonal marking, so basically what's the point? I would rather see Boyle playing wide with 2 forwards up and 4 at the back.

green day
30-10-2016, 08:28 AM
.... and we don't look any safer defending corners with our zonal marking, so basically what's the point?....

I don't like zonal.......but we have conceded 6 goals in 11 league matches. That is by a stretch the best in the league.

We are worried about that month long spell without a win, and our goal scoring drying up. But we have won more games and scored the same number as our nearest challengers.

League tables (esp goal difference) rarely lie.

We are in good shape and in my opinion are only going to improve.

staunchhibby
30-10-2016, 08:34 AM
Wish they would drop this zonal marking it will invariably cost us valuable points over the season

Scouse Hibee
30-10-2016, 09:51 AM
Regarding Marciano will admit he's hardly been tested but will say that he never seems to really spill anything, nearly every shot he stops sticks to him.

GreenOnions
30-10-2016, 10:12 AM
[QUOTE=Lee Marvin;4847780]Shinnie was easily worth an 8 today. GREAT movement, vision and creativity. Nearly everything positive went through him at some

IMO Shinnie and Boyle were our best performers in the first half today with Holt and Fyvie not far behind.

Shinnie I think will get better and better for us. However he did fade a bit in the second half and I thought Boyle deserved MoM.

I feel that McGinn is playing a little deeper now and doing a slightly different job with Shinnie in the team and that's one of the reasons he is less prominent.

Greenworld
30-10-2016, 10:59 AM
It's funny all about opinions but I thought shinnie was hopless

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Baldy Foghorn
30-10-2016, 11:13 AM
Hanlon strolled through the game....Superb.

Some good performances all round....

IanFaeClerrie
30-10-2016, 11:58 AM
Marciano 5 - Communication continues to be a problem. Hanlon, Lewis and McGregor all telling him he should have come for balls. Distribution from hand better but clearances are still awful - rarely finds a Hibs player.

Gray 4 - Poor yesterday by his own standards. Off his game for a few weeks - appears to be slowing down and is caught out and beaten too often. Crossing poor. Needs to develop a long throw - as does Lewis.

McGregor 9 - Excellent. Still can't believe we got him. Hopeless attacking headers though - as are we all .

Fontaine 8 - Agree with the comemnt on going forward - should have kept going - watched the '91 Semi Highlights and Scott Nisbet kept going - so should Fonts.

Hanlon 9 - Excellent and I love watchign a two-footed player play. Needs to hit the target more frequently on attacking headers.

Stevenson 8 - Very good display last and this week after a coupel fo ff games where he allowed crosses in. Good in the air again when opponents try to exploit his height. Needs to develop and long throw and he needs his arse kicked to start using his right again. He started doing it last season and he's stopped.

Fyvie 10 - Our best player for weeks. The smartest player we have (although Keatings is close) . Just teh complete player and the most creative we have by a long way. Love watchign him and loved his explanation on Hibs TV (and I assume on the DVD) of letting the ball go out for a corner in the final rather than putting a cross in.

McGinn 4 - Very disappointing - not played well since January. Disappears for long periods. Need sto be given a seat on the bench but Lennnon said on Hibs TV that he had both a knee and ankle injury (from memory). Capable of so much more. Needs to be told to play like Fyvie.

Shinnie 6 - Getting better and yesterday was his best performance to date . Must keep all the poressure off him and be just given a free reign. Agree with the previous assessment. Once he starts scoring,

Holt 6 - He keeps improving which drives me mad as for much of the game, he's to be seen walking about, not covering players and shouting at his team mates. I simply would not have him in the team as he is not a a team player and he's not one for the future It's almost like we are shaping our system of play around his limited abilities. I'd rather have Jamie Insall.

Boyle 9 - Agree with the rating. Love him and been waiting for agres for him to get a run in the team. Jordan Forster will be missing their warm-up boys chats which they always seem to enjoy.

Marvin 7 - Immediate impact. 'Off, Off, Off'.

Lennon - Needs to get fitter

>All in all, a training session today I feel. If we really set our minds to it we could have scored four or five.
I wish that were true - we've missed too many chances for about five years nd Lennon has not improved things.

pedroorange1875
30-10-2016, 12:03 PM
Marciano 5 - Communication continues to be a problem. Hanlon, Lewis and McGregor all telling him he should have come for balls. Distribution from hand better but clearances are still awful - rarely finds a Hibs player.

Gray 4 - Poor yesterday by his own standards. Off his game for a few weeks - appears to be slowing down and is caught out and beaten too often. Crossing poor. Needs to develop a long throw - as does Lewis.

McGregor 9 - Excellent. Still can't believe we got him. Hopeless attacking headers though - as are we all .

Fontaine 8 - Agree with the comemnt on going forward - should have kept going - watched the '91 Semi Highlights and Scott Nisbet kept going - so should Fonts.

Hanlon 9 - Excellent and I love watchign a two-footed player play. Needs to hit the target more frequently on attacking headers.

Stevenson 8 - Very good display last and this week after a coupel fo ff games where he allowed crosses in. Good in the air again when opponents try to exploit his height. Needs to develop and long throw and he needs his arse kicked to start using his right again. He started doing it last season and he's stopped.

Fyvie 10 - Our best player for weeks. The smartest player we have (although Keatings is close) . Just teh complete player and the most creative we have by a long way. Love watchign him and loved his explanation on Hibs TV (and I assume on the DVD) of letting the ball go out for a corner in the final rather than putting a cross in.

McGinn 4 - Very disappointing - not played well since January. Disappears for long periods. Need sto be given a seat on the bench but Lennnon said on Hibs TV that he had both a knee and ankle injury (from memory). Capable of so much more. Needs to be told to play like Fyvie.

Shinnie 6 - Getting better and yesterday was his best performance to date . Must keep all the poressure off him and be just given a free reign. Agree with the previous assessment. Once he starts scoring,

Holt 6 - He keeps improving which drives me mad as for much of the game, he's to be seen walking about, not covering players and shouting at his team mates. I simply would not have him in the team as he is not a a team player and he's not one for the future It's almost like we are shaping our system of play around his limited abilities. I'd rather have Jamie Insall.

Boyle 9 - Agree with the rating. Love him and been waiting for agres for him to get a run in the team. Jordan Forster will be missing their warm-up boys chats which they always seem to enjoy.

>All in all, a training session today I feel. If we really set our minds to it we could have scored four or five.
I wish that were true - we've missed too many chances for about five years nd Lennon has not improved things.

Utter nonsense, we are a completely different team with Holt up front. Very intelligent, decent movement for a big guy, causes all sorts of problems. He knows exactly how to play with partners. He constantly flick on or over the top for Boyle, very intelligent player and have a look again at his finish, brilliant strike

jax67
30-10-2016, 12:05 PM
Pretty much agree with that. Boyle was easily the MOM. Apart from an uneasy first couple of minutes the defence strolled the game. How we only scored 2 in the game is quite unbelievable. The biggest concern remains the amount of chances we're missing. Still, another 3 points so onwards and upwards.

Lennon deserves credit for playing Boyle and Holt up top and he certainly got his tactics spot on.

IMO once Martin Boyle gets a few games under his belt, the chances he had yesterday will be goals. Great work rate from him and Holt up top, really enjoyed watching them show how defending from the front works.

jax67
30-10-2016, 12:06 PM
Utter nonsense, we are a completely different team with Holt up front. Very intelligent, decent movement for a big guy, causes all sorts of problems. He knows exactly how to play with partners. He constantly flick on or over the top for Boyle, very intelligent player and have a look again at his finish, brilliant strike

In a nutshell!!

IanFaeClerrie
30-10-2016, 12:13 PM

Holt won the ball three times in the air yesterday which is his record in any game so far - it s has been zero in three games this season.

Great finish and I was the first to applaud him and his excellent through ball for Boyle but he misses far, far too many chances, he moans at his team mates to cover for his inabilities and he's not going to play for us in the Premier League. We need a long-term solution and it's not Grant.

MWHIBBIES
30-10-2016, 12:19 PM
Holt won the ball three times in the air yesterday which is his record in any game so far - it s has been zero in three games this season.

Great finish and I was the first to applaud him and his excellent through ball for Boyle but he misses far, far too many chances, he moans at his team mates to cover for his inabilities and he's not going to play for us in the Premier League. We need a long-term solution and it's not Grant.We need promotion and Holt is playing a big part in us getting it. He has been very good the last 3/4 games.

McGinn has had plenty of good games since Jan and that was far from Shinnies best performance. He has much better against Morton and Dunfermline.

pedroorange1875
30-10-2016, 12:24 PM

Great finish and I was the first to applaud him and his excellent through ball for Boyle but he misses far, far too many chances, he moans at his team mates to cover for his inabilities and he's not going to play for us in the Premier League. We need a long-term solution and it's not Grant.

I understand that is your opinion, but he was not brought in to be a long term solution, we need to get out this league and he is different from anything Stubbs had. Im assuming you only saw about 3 minutes of the game as from a series of thrown ins won the ball in the air 3 times, 2 flick ons for Boyle. The rest of the game he won his fair share. If you look at him he is actually talking and guiding people, yes sometimes they need shouted at to get the message through as we are not blessed with EPL skilled players. As for standing about, did you actually see him yesterday pressing?

B.H.F.C
30-10-2016, 12:30 PM

We don't need a long term solution. We will never have one because anybody that is any good will be away for more money elsewhere.

How anybody can dispute the value that Holt brings to the team is beyond me. We are clearly a better team with him in it and it's no coincidence, for me, that our slump happened when he was out of it.

Scouse Hibee
30-10-2016, 01:35 PM

Your comments about Holt are ridiculous,if you can't see what he brings to the team then you clearly don't understand the game. He's not a long term solution,he has been brought in to so a job to get us promoted,a job he is doing very well at the moment.

BoomtownHibees
30-10-2016, 02:31 PM

Our long term solution at this stage is to get out of this league by any means. Holt gives us so many other options and it's clear as day to anybody with a pair of eyes what he brings to the team. We were poor without him in the team and it's no coincidence that we have won the last 2 games with him in the team.

QMU-1875
30-10-2016, 02:32 PM

Are you sure?

Wee Effen Bee
30-10-2016, 02:35 PM

Definitely one of our more watchable games - good all-round performance. I just don't understand the view that we can't give more than 7 due to the opposition. I heard someone say something similar after the game and I wanted to point out that if a player scores a double hat trick and sets up another 4 goals playing against a team from the same division, he can't get more than a 7 because the team are, or are near, the bottom of the league? I don't get it - we would need to re-calibrate the marking system for each individual team depending on where they they sit in the table. :greengrin

IFONLY
30-10-2016, 05:36 PM
[QUOTE=Greenworld;4848239]It's funny all about opinions but I thought shinnie was hopless

Sent from my SM

Me too!!!!!1

Seveno
30-10-2016, 05:44 PM
Regarding Marciano will admit he's hardly been tested but will say that he never seems to really spill anything, nearly every shot he stops sticks to him.

Some dodgy kicking though that sometimes gets the defence into trouble.

eastterrace
30-10-2016, 05:46 PM
Agree, we are lucky to have fyvie, some of the treatment he gets from our own support is bewildering. Excellent football player, works his erse off as well.

Yes hear guys that slag him off should remember players like rowan vine and James Collins

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Callum_62
30-10-2016, 05:53 PM
we won right?

ACLeith
30-10-2016, 06:18 PM

And that's one of the key attributes for a keeper

Pretty Boy
31-10-2016, 07:12 AM
Anyone only giving Holt a 6 for Saturday knows nothing about football. It's so wrong the 'I'm entitled to my opinion' line is inadmissible.

Jdawg
31-10-2016, 07:47 AM
Anyone only giving Holt a 6 for Saturday knows nothing about football. It's so wrong the 'I'm entitled to my opinion' line is inadmissible.

100% agree, it's unfathomable that anyone can take the view that he was a 6 or less. Great goal, linked play, brings others in to the game, great balls in behind for Boyle.

Poor penalty is the only blemish on his performance but would rather we missed them when 2-0 up then at 0-0.

flash
31-10-2016, 07:56 AM
Some utterly ludicrous stuff on this thread which ties in neatly with some of the pish you hear at the match.

JimBHibees
31-10-2016, 11:49 AM

Agree totally a very good player with a great workrate and physicality which we lack and with him and Boyle up front we really do press teams much better which I think is hugely important in this league. You will get any number of cheap goals in this league by forcing opposition players into mistakes.

JDHibs
31-10-2016, 01:00 PM
Marciano 6 - Didnt have alot to do, still hasnt really been tested with us. Flapped at one corner, communication still seems to be an issue. But everything else was fine.

Stevenson 6 - Done well. Was targeted by St Mirren due to the height of their RB, but done well and competed well as ever.

Fonts 7 - Solid and comfortable. Won everything in the air.

Hanlon 8 - Solid, composed and just all round excellent.

McGregor 8 - Excellent player for us. Always dependable.

Gray 6 - Poor by his standards, struggled to get forward due to their winger playing high up the park. Done his defensive duties very well.

Fyvie 8 - Been our best player for a number of weeks now. Loads of energy, never hides, always looks for the ball and always looking forward. Took a big hit and carried on.

McGinn 7 - Getting very closely marked this season, for obvious reasons. Had a few good touches, happy to take players on, few cracking long range passes to open play up.

Shinnie 8 - Guys coming onto a game after not being match fit when he came up, great vision for Boyles opener. Always looking to make things happen, always finds space, could have had a goal himself. Never hid in the 2nd half when things were going his way.

Holt 8 - Fantastic player, very intelligent, always working, always talking, always occupying defenders which works well when you have someone with pace like Boyle beside him. In great shape for his age. 2 goals in 2 games so hopefully he kicks on now and adds more. Couldnt believe he missed the pen, thought it was a shoe in. Brings alot to the team.

Boyle 9 - Great game for the squirrel. Never stopped. Used his pace to good effect, should have scored more but hopefully with a good run of games the goals will come. Took his goal really well. Cemented his place for the starting line up next week.

All in all a great team performance and very professional. The 3-4-1-2 formation gives us great balance and utilizes the players we have available. Look solid at the back and dangerous going forward.

More of the same please Hibs!

WeeRussell
31-10-2016, 01:09 PM

Perhaps. But those making out like he's the next Berbatov because of his "intelligence" after every championship game are just as bad.

Had a decent game today (penalty aside) and took his goal very well!

patlowe
31-10-2016, 01:20 PM
Marciano 6 - Didnt have alot to do, still hasnt really been tested with us. Flapped at one corner, communication still seems to be an issue. But everything else was fine.

Stevenson 6 - Done well. Was targeted by St Mirren due to the height of their RB, but done well and competed well as ever.

Fonts 7 - Solid and comfortable. Won everything in the air.

Hanlon 8 - Solid, composed and just all round excellent.

McGregor 8 - Excellent player for us. Always dependable.

Gray 6 - Poor by his standards, struggled to get forward due to their winger playing high up the park. Done his defensive duties very well.

Fyvie 8 - Been our best player for a number of weeks now. Loads of energy, never hides, always looks for the ball and always looking forward. Took a big hit and carried on.

McGinn 7 - Getting very closely marked this season, for obvious reasons. Had a few good touches, happy to take players on, few cracking long range passes to open play up.

Shinnie 8 - Guys coming onto a game after not being match fit when he came up, great vision for Boyles opener. Always looking to make things happen, always finds space, could have had a goal himself. Never hid in the 2nd half when things were going his way.

Holt 8 - Fantastic player, very intelligent, always working, always talking, always occupying defenders which works well when you have someone with pace like Boyle beside him. In great shape for his age. 2 goals in 2 games so hopefully he kicks on now and adds more. Couldnt believe he missed the pen, thought it was a shoe in. Brings alot to the team.

Boyle 9 - Great game for the squirrel. Never stopped. Used his pace to good effect, should have scored more but hopefully with a good run of games the goals will come. Took his goal really well. Cemented his place for the starting line up next week.

All in all a great team performance and very professional. The 3-4-1-2 formation gives us great balance and utilizes the players we have available. Look solid at the back and dangerous going forward.

More of the same please Hibs!

Would go along with most of that, although I would bump up Stevenson and Fyvie to 7 and 9 respectively.

WeeRussell
31-10-2016, 01:21 PM
Would go along with most of that, although I would bump up Stevenson and Fyvie to 7 and 9 respectively.

Fyvie was actually my Man of the Match, albeit I had no issues with Boyle (who was also a standout) receiving it.

wookie70
31-10-2016, 01:41 PM
Perhaps. But those making out like he's the next Berbatov because of his "intelligence" after every championship game are just as bad.

That would be my take on it. He drags centre halves wide and knows how to play his position. Good level of effort and we missed him when he hasn't played. I don't think he has been more than decent though and I expected better especially now he actually looks pretty fit. Graham seems to have more of an eye for goal but has hardly had a chance. These days we are in danger of seeing goalscoring as some kind of secondary skill for a striker. I would have marked Holt 6 on Saturday taking a point off for a poor penalty.

Smartie
31-10-2016, 02:06 PM

He may not win enough for you (I disagree, I think he wins plenty) but his man NEVER wins a clean effortless header. Holt gets fouled constantly, sometimes he even gets free-kicks for the fouls. And then the defender, whoever it is on any given week, will rarely make a clean header away, often being caused by Holt to miss the ball completely.

I have come to think that the "second striker" is the most important player in our team. Whenever we've had Holt playing well, Malonga on form or the rare occasions that Farid made it, we seem to have played well as a team. We've always needed a finisher beside him and it doesn't really matter for me whether that happens to be Cummings, Boyle, Keatings or Stokes. Pairing Cummings with Stokes never really worked for me for that reason.

Smartie
31-10-2016, 02:12 PM
Oh, and I agree with everyone who says that Shinnie was brilliant on Saturday as well as agreeing with those who say he was terrible.

I've never seen a player switch so effectively from looking like a world-beater making incisive passes and taking great touches to looking like a complete huddy who has never seen a football before within a couple of minutes.

Really bizarre player.

But because of the significant contribution he is capable of making, most definitely one worth persevering with.

JDHibs
31-10-2016, 02:26 PM
Oh, and I agree with everyone who says that Shinnie was brilliant on Saturday as well as agreeing with those who say he was terrible.

I've never seen a player switch so effectively from looking like a world-beater making incisive passes and taking great touches to looking like a complete huddy who has never seen a football before within a couple of minutes.

Really bizarre player.

But because of the significant contribution he is capable of making, most definitely one worth persevering with.

Agreed.

Willing to put up with him after getting 1 goal and 5 assists in 7 (I think) games. Contributing nearly a goal a game so far is excellent going.

SRHibs
31-10-2016, 03:52 PM
I like Holt a lot. "Never wins the ball"? I feel like I'm watching a different team to some on here at times. Holt almost always wins the ball when it's played up to him. His passing and vision at the weekend was superb too. My only gripe with him is that he has a habit of going to ground a bit too easily.

SRHibs
31-10-2016, 03:55 PM

Not sure what your grading criteria is. Bartley didn't do much as far as I saw (although he didn't do anything wrong, mind you). As for Shinnie, his best performance only warrants a 6? No sure about that. Thought he was better vs Morton too, where he got MotM IIRC (might be getting games mixed up).

B.H.F.C
31-10-2016, 03:59 PM

Really bizarre player.

Daft as it sounds, what I like about Shinnie is that a lot of the time when he loses the ball he does so actually trying to affect the game. He doesn't just try simple square passes all the time.

In the last two games he's put two goals on a plate for Boyle and Graham and won a penalty. He should have scored at the weekend but he gets in to a lot of good positions so I'm pretty confident he will chip in with a few goals.

All that said, I do agree that he can sometimes have a spell in games where he does some really daft stuff.

confused
31-10-2016, 04:51 PM
Martin has what centre backs don't like , pace ! A wee nippy striker is a nightmare to play against .

makaveli1875
31-10-2016, 05:30 PM
marciano 6 - didnt have an awful lot to do

mcgregor 8 - rock solid , in my opinion our best defender
fontaine 7 - good shift from the big man , glad to have him back in the team
hanlon 7 - did what he had to

gray 6 - doesnt look anywhere near the gray from the cup final . offered little going forward but did his defensive duties well
fyvie 7 - not a big fyvie fan but he did his thing well today .
mginn 7 - nowhere near the form he was showing last season , still showed a few glimpses of what a class player he is though
shinnie 8 - best of the bunch in midfield , great pass to assist with the opener and always looking to make something happen
stevenson 7 - put himself about and ran his socks off

boyle 8.5 - took his goal well and never gave their defence a minutes peace
holt 7 - good finish for his goal but should have stuck the penalty away

Pretty Boy
31-10-2016, 05:47 PM

I'm not judging him against £30M Berbatov though, he's a 30 something Scottish Championship striker and should be judged as such.

Holt has been brought in to do a specific job and he's doing it well. He holds the ball up well, he brings others into the game, he wins his fair share in the air and if he doesn't he almost never allows a defender to win it cleanly. He's also scored 2 in 2.

I stand by my point, if people don't see what Holt brings to the team then they don't know what they are looking for. Our upturn in form since his reinstatement isn't a coincidence.

WeeRussell
31-10-2016, 06:44 PM
I'm not judging him against £30M Berbatov though, he's a 30 something Scottish Championship striker and should be judged as such.

Holt has been brought in to do a specific job and he's doing it well. He holds the ball up well, he brings others into the game, he wins his fair share in the air and if he doesn't he almost never allows a defender to win it cleanly. He's also scored 2 in 2.

I stand by my point, if people don't see what Holt brings to the team then they don't know what they are looking for. Our upturn in form since his reinstatement isn't a coincidence.

Fair enough pal. And I wasn't having a dig at you specifically, I just think in general, a lot of people seem to go overboard in their praise for him and attribute it to being because of things others don't know enough to see. At least you've outlined tangible reasoning. I think (and I'll have seen less of him than yourself and others as don't make every game) that he's fairly average on what I've seen. Some think he's poor, others think he's fantastic.

Someone stated early that they would give him a 6 taking into account the missed penalty. I don't think that's far enough away from the mark to suggest they don't know anything about football.

Wee Effen Bee
31-10-2016, 07:05 PM
Rocky 6: still not convinced with some aspects of his distribution and his communication with those around him but, as others have noticed, he doesn't allow many balls to rebound from him. He appears to have a Velcro top and gloves on when getting down to shots (the few that manage to get through our defence that is)

Stevenson 7: Held his own against a dangerous giant and even got in 2/3 excellent deliveries/passes.

Fonts 8: I thought our centre backs were in cruise control

Hanlon 8: ditto

McGregor 8: ditto

Gray 6: had to take one for the team this week - their 3 5 2/8 1 1 formations meant he had to be content with a more defensive role

Fyvie 9: early contender for my Player of the Season. Most consistent player along with Hanlon.

McGinn 7: how many times does the laddie get fouled? Last week was a joke but he still shows his class

Shinnie 8: tired midway through the second half but to be expected - great shift and some terrific passes

Holt 8: although a different player to Cummings, Jason could improve by studying Holt's approach to playing centre forward - make it hard for the centre half to win a clear header, get your erse between the defender and the ball, if the defender is chasing you down, stop dead and 99% of the time you will get the foul:greengrin Great goal as well big man

Boyle 9: desrves the accolades for his display. Hasn't always produced the goods when starting a game but perhaps his more central role suits him better? Terrorised their defence at times with his pace

Tyler Durden
31-10-2016, 07:55 PM
Definitely one of our more watchable games - good all-round performance. I just don't understand the view that we can't give more than 7 due to the opposition. I heard someone say something similar after the game and I wanted to point out that if a player scores a double hat trick and sets up another 4 goals playing against a team from the same division, he can't get more than a 7 because the team are, or are near, the bottom of the league? I don't get it - we would need to re-calibrate the marking system for each individual team depending on where they they sit in the table. :greengrin

Don't think many would disagree with you.

Nobody scored a double hat trick or set up 4 goals though. We won 2-0, were pretty lucky not to concede and missed several sitters, including a penalty. Clear to me then, why nobody, probably with exception of Boyle deserved more than a 7.

Wee Effen Bee
31-10-2016, 09:47 PM
Don't think many would disagree with you.

Nobody scored a double hat trick or set up 4 goals though. We won 2-0, were pretty lucky not to concede and missed several sitters, including a penalty. Clear to me then, why nobody, probably with exception of Boyle deserved more than a 7.

Sorry but that's not what the original post, the one I replied to, actually said. It was more to do with the opposition we were playing against. I don't think we were in danger of losing anything in that game - we totally controlled from start to finish. I think if you look back at the thread, you will notice that a fair number of posters give various players more than 7.